Info-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU (Info-IBMPC Digest) (08/06/87)

Info-IBMPC Digest       Wednesday, 5 August 1987      Volume 6 : Issue 54

This Week's Editor: Billy Brackenridge

Today's Topics:
			  Update to MOUSE.E
			       DESQVIEW
		Procomm 2.4.2 Old Patch is Best Patch
		       ARC PKARC The REAL Story
		       TERM.CAT and PRAXIS.CAT
			  STARLAN SIZE LIMIT
			  PCs as LAN Servers
	  Prt-Screen problem with PCDOS & NEC 8023A printer
	       PKARC/PKXARC 3.5 Available from SIMTEL20
		     Microemacs Sources on BITNET
		   List of UNIX(R) Tools for MS-DOS
			       IBMCACHE
			Drive Tables IOCTL 44H
		  Using 2 Printers with Turbo Pascal
	      Memory Resident Program Extractor MARK&REL
			       Turbo C
	   Hebrew Fonts for HP Laser Printer from SoftFonts
	     MicroEmacs 3.8L now available from SIMTEL20
		      Turbo C Patches Available

      INFO-IBMPC BBS Phone Numbers: (213)827-2635 (213)827-2515

Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1987  18:36 EDT
From: LENOIL@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU
Subject: Update to MOUSE.E

Dear Editor:

... be sent to the readership
in its entirety.  Specifically, my statement that, "If you don't feel like
editing the file, send me a note and I'll mail you the entire file" was
directed to you, the librarian, not the world at large.  My intention was that
you update the MOUSE.E on C.ISI.EDU and broadcast the change and the fact that
the lending library's sources had been updated.  I did not mean to solicit
requests from the net for copies by mail of the full program; that's what the
lending library is there for.  I would appreciate if you'd post this
clarification to the bulletin board.

Thank you,
 Robert Lenoil

[Sorry about that. <INFO-IBMPC.EEL>MOUSE.E has been updated in our lending
library. -wab]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Jul 87 09:31:41 PDT
From: Jim Celoni <celoni@shasta.stanford.edu>
Subject: DESQVIEW

DV 2.0 does 9600 baud comm in background with no problems.  I successfully used
1.21 and 1.30 for concurrent editing/DOS/comm too.  +j

------------------------------

From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr%linus@mitre-bedford.ARPA>
Date: 24 Jul 87 19:37:40 GMT
Subject: Procomm 2.4.2 Old Patch is Best Patch

Please restore the old <msdos.modem-utils>prcm242.pat which I recently
updated.  David Escalante just informed me that my "improved" patch
breaks the kermit transfer facilities in procomm.  I guess I owe an
apology to all those who modified their copies of procomm with the
faulty patch.  Sorry.  I did use the faulty patch for more than a
year, but I guess I didn't use kermit on that machine.

Therefore, to fix your copy of procomm (v. 2.4.2), even if you have
applied the recent, faulty patch, do the following:
(Removes recent patch and applies old one.)

	RENAME PROCOMM.EXE PROCOMM.BIN
	DEBUG PROCOMM.BIN
	E 083D E8 3A 7E
	E 8686 0
	RENAME PROCOMM.BIN PROCOMM.EXE

If I find a better way to patch the program I'll post it, otherwise
just stick with the old patch (E 8686 0).

    Gordon W. Ross              Phone: (617) 271-3205
    The MITRE Corporation       ARPA: linus!gwr@MITRE-BEDFORD
    Bedford, MA  01730		UUCP: decvax!linus!gwr

------------------------------

Date: 22 Jul 87 03:50:22 GMT
From: Phil Katz <katz@UWM-CS.MILW.WISC.EDU>
Subject: ARC PKARC The REAL Story

What is this article?

    It's an response from me, Phil Katz, author of PKARC and
    PKXARC, in an attempt to answer common questions,
    misconceptions, and downright ugly rumors propagated by the
    misinformed in regards to PKARC and PKXARC.

The specs for Squashing were never released.

    FALSE!  In early January 1987, shortly after PKARC 2.0 with
    Squashing was released, the file SQSHINFO.DOC was released
    detailing the format of Squashed files.  This file can be
    found on many BBS's across the country.

Why wasn't a different extension used for archives with
Squashed files?

    Mainly, because using a different extension would cause many
    more problems than it would solve.  By the time PKARC 2.0
    was being developed, there were many programs with .ARC
    specific code in them, such as disk cataloguers, directory
    programs, communications software, BBS software, and others
    that treated .ARC files special from ordinary files.  The
    vast majority of these programs never extracted files, and
    couldn't care less if files were "Squashed", "Stomped", or
    "Mashed".  Changing the extension of archives created by
    PKARC would mean that all these programs would have to be
    kludged for the new extension.

    Earlier versions of PKARC could handle archives with
    Squashed members with no problems whatsoever.  Earlier
    versions of PKXARC would simply skip over any Squashed
    files, and issue a warning that the file was compressed in
    an unknown way.  Only SEA's ARC program and Buerg's programs
    would bomb out completely on these files.

    Since PKARC and PKXARC could read *ALL* archives made by
    *ANY* archive program back to SEA's ARC 1.00, keeping the
    extension of .ARC creates much less confusion than creating
    an entirely new extension for everyone to have to deal with.

Why was type 9 used for Squashed files, rather than type 8
with a 13-bit identifier?

    Type 8 "crunched" files are non-repeat packed (DLE encoded)
    before the file is crunched, and similarity are non-repeat
    unpacked after the file is uncrunched.

    When developing Squashing, I found that on the vast majority
    of files, that slightly higher compression ratios could be
    achieved by *NOT* performing the non-repeat packing/unpacking.
    Also, a significant amount of execution time could be saved if
    it wasn't necessary to do the packing and unpacking.

    If Squashed files, which were NOT packed, were stored as
    type 8 in the archive header with a 13 bit identifier, it
    would be inconsistent with the type 8 12-bit files, which
    were packed.  Therefore, it was necessary to give Squashed
    files a unique file type number.

PKARC has problems with memory allocation.

    Well, PKARC 2.0 had problems when a large DOS environment
    was present.  It would abort with the message "Insufficient
    memory".  The Lattice C startup module copies the
    environment strings into the static 64K data segment before
    calling _main().  Since PKARC 2.0 had already used up nearly
    all of the static data segment with tables and buffers etc.,
    the startup module would abort if it couldn't allocate
    enough heap space in the data segment to hold a copy of the
    environment.

    Note that all error messages displayed by PKARC start with
    the phrase "PKARC: " whereas this one didn't, and was
    generated by the Lattice library routines.  In addition,
    there is not *ANY* documentation in the Lattice C manuals
    that the startup module copied the environment strings into
    the data segment when using the small memory model.  I found
    this out by tracing the execution of the startup module.

    This problem has been resolved in PKARC version 3.5.

PKXARC crashes on damaged archives.

    Not anymore.  Admittedly, earlier versions of PKXARC would
    lock up, crash, burn, cause floods and other major natural
    disasters when a damaged or corrupted archive was
    encountered.

    However, PKXARC 3.5 is *UNCRASHABLE*!  PKXARC 3.5 has loop
    checks and other fault tolerant reliability mechanisms built
    in to it.  To date, there have been *NO* verifiable reports
    of PKXARC 3.5 ever crashing.  If anyone can make PKXARC 3.5
    crash, please inform me ASAP.

PKARC and PKXARC have trouble with RAMdisks, EMS memory etc.

    NO!  PKARC and PKXARC are completely MS-DOS generic
    programs.  They will run on TI Pro's, DEC Rainbows and all
    MS-DOS machines.  All I/O is done through standard MS-DOS
    file handle calls.  All memory allocation is done through
    standard MS-DOS memory allocation calls.  Neither PKARC nor
    PKXARC make any BIOS calls, or directly manipulate any
    hardware.  If there are any incompatibilities with memory or
    device drivers, it is because they fail to execute legal
    MS-DOS calls, or otherwise affect the normal operation of
    MS-DOS.  To date, I have not received any verifiable reports
    of any problems with RAMdisks or EMS memory.

The -g option of PKARC is not compatible with SEA's -g option.

    FALSE!  The encrypt/decrypt functions added to PKARC and
    PKXARC version 3.5 were designed to be totally compatible
    with SEA's (rather primitive) encryption algorithm.  Any
    instances where PKARC creates a non-degarbleable file with
    SEA's ARC should be considered to be either a bug in PKARC
    or ARC.  Again, if anyone knows of any instances where the
    -g option of PKARC and ARC work differently, please let me
    know ASAP.

What ARE the known problems with PKARC and/or PKXARC version 3.5?

    There are two known bugs in PKARC version 3.5 dealing with
    temporary files.

    Under DOS 2.x, PKARC by default will try to create a file
    called "./$PKARC.CRN".  This works in every subdirectory,
    except the root directory in DOS 2.xx.  If you try to open
    this file in root directory under DOS 3.xx however, it works
    just fine.  When archiving a large file or using the archive
    comment feature of PKARC while in the root directory in DOS
    2.xx, PKARC will abort with the message "PKARC: Can't create
    ./$PKARC.CRN".

    This problem can be solved by using the PKARCTMP environment
    variable to tell PKARC what drive/directory to use for
    temporary files, such as SET PKARCTMP=/ for example.
    Alternatively, PKARC can be patched to eliminate the bug as
    follows:

    debug pkarc.com
    e 4aa8 2f 0

    Under DOS 3.xx, after archiving many large files, PKARC may
    abort with a "Can't create" error, and the file name given
    will be different each time.  This is due to an error in the
    Lattice C ver 3.1 manual for the dunique() function.  In the
    Lattice C ver 3.1 manual on page F-65 it says:

      "Note that dunique does not actually open the file, so
       the return value on success is not a file handle."

    WRONG!  dunique() calls MS-DOS function 0x5A, which sure as
    anything opens the file for read/write access and returns a
    file handle!

    The result is that PKARC first calls dunique() and then
    calls dcreat() to open the file (because dunique() doesn't
    according to the manual . . .) which would cause two file
    handles to be consumed each time a temp file is created, and
    only one handle is returned via dclose().  Depending on the
    FILES=xx value in the CONFIG.SYS file, PKARC can eventually
    run out of handles.  (As an aside, Lattice C will probably
    be abandoned in all future MS-DOS releases of PKARC/PKXARC).

    This problem can fixed by the following patch:

    debug pkarc.com
    e a62 eb 14
    e 105a a3 46 ea eb 20

    There are *NO* known bugs in PKXARC version 3.5.

When will we see a UNIX version of PKARC and PKXARC?

  Hopefully rather soon.  Since the original MS-DOS versions of
  PKARC and PKXARC used a significant amount of assembly code,
  it wasn't easy to convert these to portable C.  Nevertheless,
  a portable C version of PKXARC now exists which works under
  MS-DOS, Amiga, and VAX/VMS.  An Amiga version of PKXARC is
  slated for release this August.  VAX/VMS and Unix versions of
  the software are currently under development.

>Phil Katz>

Exec-PC BBS, Shorewood WI ......... 414-964-5160, 24 hours, 1200/2400 baud
Fargo BBS, Fargo ND ............... 701-293-5973, 24 hours, 1200/2400 baud
Sound of Music BBS, Oceanside NY .. 516-536-8723, 24 hours, 1200/2400 baud
USENET ............................ uwvax!uwmcsd1!uwm-cs.milw.wisc.EDU!katz
BIX ............................... Username: philkatz
U.S. Mail ......................... 7032 N. Ardara Ave., Glendale, WI 53209

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jul 87 13:47:03 edt
From: karl@hipl (Karl Gegenfurtner)
To: cmcl2!info-ibmpc-request@usc-isib.arpa
Subject: TERM.CAT and PRAXIS.CAT

I am sending two programs, which I have also sent to simtel, together
with the executable versions.

Term is a memory resident communications program. It has no file
transfer capabilities, but emulates a z-19 terminal. Term is ideal, if
you do work on a mainframe and use your PC as a terminal. With one
press of the hotkey, term switches from PC to mainframe or the other
way around. A built in alarm feature will notify you of mail or of
talk requests, if you are running a Unix system.
The accompanying installation program sets baud rate, com-port, hotkey
and other comm-parameters.

Praxis is a subroutine for the minimization of a function in several
variables. Versions in C, Turbo-Pascal and Unix pascal are included,
together with a small demo program.

Term was written by Hans Irtel of Regensburg, West Germany, and me.
The implementation of Praxis is based on a routine by R.P. Brent in a
book on minimization. Both of these programs are free and can be used
by anyone for any purpose.

Because both programs consist of several modules, I concatenated them,
using an old program called 'archc'. It's easy to split the files,
the archive is pure ascii, and header lines begin with '-h-'.

I also have a version of Jove for MSDOS, which I'm planning to send to
the simtel-archives very soon now. It has several advantages over
previous MSDOS versions:
- It was ported directly from the latest (4.6.1.4) Unix version, which
has some new features over the older Version 2.0. Also the code in
version 4.6 is much cleaner (integers and pointers) than in the
previous one, which gave lots of warnings on compilation. Some of the
new features are backups on write, comment formatting and
filename-completion. Also I implemented commands like filter-region,
which were previously not available under DOS-JOVE.
- The screen interface uses Bios calls only and does not write into
screen memory directly, as the previous version did. Thus there is no
flicker on color monitors.
- The full 8-bit character set is supported, as are all the function
keys on the PC-keyboard.
- Versions are available for IBMPC, generic MSDOS and DEC Rainbows.

The main advantage of JOVE over Micro-Emacs is, that it's much faster.

I am willing to send the files per email to anyone, who does not have
access to the info-ibmpc library or the simtel archives.

Karl Gegenfurtner

arpa:	karl@hipl.psych.nyu.edu
uucp:	...{seismo|ihnp4|allegra}!cmcl2!xp!hipl!karl
usps:	Department of Psychology, NYU
	6 Washington Place, 8th fl.
	New York, NY 10003

[TERM.CAT and PRAXIS.CAT have been added to the info-ibmpc lending
library. -wab]

------------------------------

Date:      27 JUL 87 11:35 EDT
From:      V2002A%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject:   STARLAN SIZE LIMIT

Doug Gee (DMGee@his-phoenix-multics-arpa) inquired about LAN size:

        The question of LAN size is as much a function of configuration
of the hardware as of the hardware itself.  STARLAN has a limit of 10
machines per "network".  However, when several "networks" are linked
via a master Network Expansion Unit, the number goes up to 200.
        There is a lot of literature available from ATT about STARLAN.
They (still?) offer seminars on STARLAN which I thought were quite
good.

             Andy Wing  <V2002A@TEMPLEVM.BITNET>

------------------------------

Subject: PCs as LAN Servers
Date: 28 Jul 87 01:53:39 EDT (Tue)
From: campbell@maynard.BSW.COM

<> ...I am curious to know what the maximum usable number of active nodes in
<>a good LAN (say Novell) is.
<>
<>  The most I have heard of is several dozen; certainly less than 100.  A
<>salesman is proposing a 300 node LAN as a feasible solution to a potential
<>customer.  Surely the man is dreaming.

Surely you are suffering from PC tunnel vision.  Yes, if you're using
mere PCs for servers, a 300-node network is dreaming.  But if you're
talking real machines on a real net (for instance, VAXes on an Ethernet,
or Apollo work stations on a ring) then a LAN of thousands of nodes
is quite feasible.

There are a number of factors that can conspire to limit the size of
a LAN -- probably more factors than have occurred to you.  They include:

    1.	CPU power of the server(s)
    2.	disk throughput of the server(s) (here is where PCs fall flat)
    3.	intelligence of the LAN interface board (does it filter out
	 multicast messages, for example, or must the CPU do that)
    4.	raw bit rate on the LAN wire (less important than you might
	 think, usually less important than 1-3)
    5.	LAN software cleverness or stupidity (MS-NET, for instance,
	 is quite suboptimal where performance is concerned)

In any event, a 300-node LAN is quite reasonable, *if* you have decent
interface boards, 10 MB or better raw bit rate, good software, and
something better than PCs for servers.

(By "PC" I mean almost any Intel-based box, or anything with ST506 or SCSI
disks...)
--
Larry Campbell                                The Boston Software Works, Inc.
Internet: campbell@BSW.COM                  120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109

[Clearly the blocking disk I/O of IBM BIOS and DOS is the major limiting
factor of disk or file servers. I don't think much of 3Comm's software, but
I think even they must bypass BIOS to achieve any throughput. US Designs
has an interesting approach to this problem. They make a disk that contains
lots of memory and a 68000 that does head optimization. This makes even
IBM BIOS's dumb busy wait I/O very fast.

Another solution is lots of RAM disk or RAM for disk caching. One can
tolerate a pretty slow server with lots of local RAM to cache frequently
used files. -wab]

------------------------------

Date:         Mon, 27 Jul 87 14:34:34 EDT
From:         Michael Friendly <FRIENDLY%YORKVM1.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:      Prt-Screen problem with PCDOS & NEC 8023A printer
cc:           Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA>

>I am having a strange problem with "Prt Sc" on an IBM-PC/XT running
>PCDOS 3.3.  My printer is a NEC PC-8023A.  When I copy files to PRN or
>use control-P it works fine.  When I use Prt Sc to dump the screen to
>the printer, everything prints on one line.  It's as if the DOS Prt Sc
>function is stripping all line feeds or simply not adding them.  Has
>anyone else had this problem?  I don't want to turn on the printer's
>auto line feed on receipt of carriage return because that would result

   I have the same printer and encountered the same problems.
GRAPHICS.COM simply doesn't support non-IBM/EPSON printers. I have
found several software packages which provide solution to this
problem:

PRNT-SC
PRNT-SET
PRNT-CHR

    Specifically geared to the NEC8023A. PRNT-SC is memory resident,
intercepts interrupt 05, produces screen dumps (graphics or text) with
equal facility, is fairly fast, provides support for italics,
integrates well with most wordprocessors, comes with an extensive
manual. PRNT-CHR gives IBM graphics character support flawlessly.
It is fairly slow when you print e.g., text with graphics character
boxes, but never fails. PRNT-SET is a menu-driven non-resident utility
to turn on bold-face or set 17cpi etc.

Available from: Soft & Friendly   <<NO relation>>
     Soft & Friendly

          Address:   (Attn: Michael Hoyt)
	  	     R2 Box 65
		     Solsbery IN 47459
	  Phone:     812-825-7384
          Shareware: $45.00 I think. Well worth it.

PROEPSIM
PROSCRN (sp?)
etc.
     A disk full of utilities for the C-Itoh Prowriter, the same printer
mechanism as the NEC8023A. PROEPSIM is memory resident, simulates an
Epson FX (I think), does a reasonably fast and reliable job of
print screen and graphics characters on the NEC. It seems to take
over the printer until you reboot, however, unless I missed in the
manual how to disable the critter.

      Available from: C-ITOH directly. Supposed to be for C-Itoh
        dealers. (``Can it emulate an Epson?'' ``Sure!'')
        As far as I know, it is not available commercially.

GRAFPLUS
     Advertised in the Buyer's Mart in BYTE as supporting ANY printer
and many graphics cards. It has worked on all the ones I've tried,
including LaserJet. Allows you to Prt-Sc in portrait or landscape
orientation, small or large size [selectable when you install it]
Graphics dumps are slower than PRNT_SC, graphics characters not as
good, but acceptable.

    Available from: Jewell Technologies
                  4740 44th Av. SW
       ($49.95)   Seattle WA 98116

Hope this helps

  -- Snail Mail --             ** E-mail **
Michael Friendly             BITNET:    FRIENDLY@YORKVM1
Psychology Department        Othernet:  FRIENDLY@YORKVM1.BITNET
York University               or FRIENDLY%YORKVM1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Toronto ONT                  CompuServe: 72777,253
CANADA  M3J 1P3              Voice: (416) 736-5118 x6249

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1987  22:24 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: PKARC/PKXARC 3.5 Available from SIMTEL20

PKARC/PKXARC version 3.5 is available from SIMTEL20...

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD:<MSDOS.ARC-LBR>
PKARC35P.ARC.1			BINARY	  1792  0F6FH
PKX35A35.EXE.1			BINARY	 71680  3DDFH

The ARC is a patch file for those who wish to make no squash the
default.  The EXE is the entire PKARC/PKXARC package, self extracting.

--Keith

------------------------------

Date:     Tue,  28 Jul 87 18:13:12 CET
From:     Eberhard W. Lisse <LISSE%DACTH51.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:  Microemacs Sources on BITNET

Regarding the note by larry@jpl-VLSI.ARPA on where to get microemacs
sources from, I might add, that I have recently received 3.8i and will
get 3.9 once it will be ready to be shipped. (That one will support
Turbo-C)

I am willing to send it to anybody on the BITNET (or its clones EARN
and NETNORTH)

regards, el

------------------------------

From: psc@lznv.att.com (Paul S. R. Chisholm)
Subject:  List of UNIX(R) Tools for MS-DOS
Date: 29 Jul 87 03:57:57 GMT

< "I'm *not* expendable, I'm *not* stupid, and I'm *NOT* going!" >

I've collected a list of UNIX(R)-like tools that run under MS-DOS(TM).
A lot of this information is from Harry Avant's article, "UNIX Shells
and Utilities for DOS PCs" in the June 1987 issue of UNIX/World; the
rest is from various advertisements.  I'd be interested in others that
any of you know, or experience you've had with them.  A collection of
UNIX-like public domain and shareware tools was just posted to
comp.binaries.ibm.pc, but I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.
I'm primarily interested in supported commercial tools.  Please send
mail to Internet psc@lznv.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm, or Usenet
lznv!psc via mtune, allegra, cbosgd, ihnp4, or any other Action
Central site.  -Paul S. R. Chisholm

MKS Toolkit, $140US: Mortice Kern Systems, 43 Bridgeport Road East,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2J 2J4, 519-884-2251.  Includes awk,
banner, basename, c, cal, cat, cd, chmod, cmp, comm, cp, cpio, crypt,
ctags, cut, date, dd, deroff, dev, df, diff, dirname, du, echo, ed,
egrep, env, expand, expr, fg, fgrep, file, find, fmt, fold, getopt,
grep, head, help, init, join, kill, lc, line, login, ls, mkdir, more,
mv, nm, od, pack, passwd, paste, pcat, pr, prof, ps, pwd, rev, rm,
rmdir, sed, sh (really ksh), size, sleep, sort, split, strings, strip,
sum, switch, tail, tee, test, time, touch, tr, uname, unexpand, uniq,
unpack, unstrip, vi (included, but also available separately), wc,
which, who.  MasterCard and Visa accepted.

Comments:  A friend of mine just ordered from them.  He said they
sounded like stereotypical, "Great White North" Canadians.  He also said
version 2.2 was shipping (registered users can upgrade for $45US; new
disks, all new manuals.).  They have site licenses available (and some
AT&T sites have them).  I've heard *very* good things about these
people.  MKS vi still supports, but no longer requires, an ANSI device
driver.  They're on Usenet somewhere, and provide support via phone,
paper mail, and email!  Final note:  how come we Americans can't sell
those nasty furriners *any* encryption software, but these Canadians
can sell us crypt(1)?  (Flames to /dev/null, *please*!)

PC/VI, $149; PC/TOOLS, $49; PC/SPELL, $49:  Custom Software Systems, PO
Box 678, Natick, MA  01760, 617-653-2555.  Includes banner, bfs, cal,
chmod, cut, diff, diffh, diff3, grep, head, make, od, paste, pr, rm,
sed, see, sort, spell (separate package), split, strings, tail, touch,
tr, vi (separate package), wc.  American Express, MasterCard, and Visa
accepted.

Comments:  They had the first good PC implementation of vi; I've heard
good things about it.  Don't know anything about PC/TOOLS.  PC/SPELL
does prefix and suffix stripping, but from the ad, it looks like just a
spelling *checker*, not a spelling *corrector*.

PCNX, $49:  Wendin, PO Box 3888, Spokane, WA  99220-3888, 509-624-8088.
Includes at, cat, cmp, cp, cron, date, df, echo, false, file, find,
finger, getty, grep, group, grppswd, head, kill, line, logname, lpd,
lpr, ls, mail, mkdir, mkgroup, mkuser, more, mv, news, nice, nohup, od,
passwd, pr, ps, rev, rm, rmdir, rmgroup, rmuser, sh, sleep, strings,
stty, tail, tee, test, time, touch, true, tty, uniq, wc, who, whodo,
write.  American Express, MasterCard, Visa accepted.

Comments:  PCNX is a UNIX-like environment; not just UNIX-like tools,
but multi-processing under MS-DOS.  I don't know if you can use these
utilities from vanilla MS-DOS, or only while running PCNX.  Wendin is
now pushing "Wendin-DOS", a $99 "multitasking, multiuser MS-DOS
replacement".  Anyone know what's up in Spokane these days?

PercentShell, $95:  Thompson Automation, PO Box 5163, Beaverton OR
97006, 503-645-9434.  Includes cat, chmod, cmp, cp, cu, cut, df, diff,
du, egrep, fgrep, grep, head, login, ls, mf, mkdir, more, mv, paste,
pr, printenv, pwd, rm, rmdir, sed, sh (some csh/ksh functions), split,
tail, tee, touch, tr, uudecode, uuencode, wc, whereis.

Micro C-Shell, $50; Micro C-Tools, $25; Micro Make, $25; Beckemeyer
Development Tools, 478 Santa Clara Ave., Suite 300, Oakland CA  94610,
415-452-1129.  Includes banner, cal, chmod, cmp, csh (separately),
date, dc, detab, diff, entab, fgrep, file, find, head, lpr, make, num,
od, pick, pr, rpl, sed, show, sort, split, strings, tail, tee, touch,
uniq, wc.

Comments:  also available for Atari ST.

Utility Pack, $75:  Peak InfoSystems, 727 Manitou Ave., Manitou
Springs, CO  80829, 303-685-1137.  Includes calendar, calpath, cat, cb,
chgvol, chmod, cl, col, crypt, d, df, e, ed, extract, grep, latest,
list, pg, prep, ptx1, ptx2, ptxpath, red, renum, sort, split, table,
tail, tee, tolower, touch, tr, uniq, update, uptime.

Comments:  cat (at least) knows about WordStar files (eighth bit on).
Also includes disk twiddler, Epson printer utilities, and a loan
amortization program (oh, gee!)

DOS Helper, $50:  MetaWare, 903 Pacific Ave., Suite 201, Santa Cruz CA
95060-4429, 408-429-6382.  Includes cat, find, fgrep, ls, mv, tail,
uniq, wc.

Comments:  find knows how to create (UNIX-compatible??) "tar" archives.

Aztek C86-d Developer System, $299:  Manx Software Systems, 1
Industrial Way, Eatontown NJ  07724, 800-221-0440, 205-542-2121.
American Express, MasterCard, Visa accepted.  Includes cc, diff, grep,
make, vi.

Comments:  This is really a C compiler with some UNIX-like utilities.
Anyone know if the utilities are available separately?  Also available
for Apple II, TRS-80, CP/M-80, Macintosh, Amiga.

Text Management Utilities, $120:  Lattice, PO Box 3072, Glen Ellyn IL
60138, 312-858-7950.  Includes diff, ed, grep, wc, and non-UNIX
utilities (build, extract, files, splat).

Personal PVCS, $149; PVCS, $395:  Polytron, 1815 NW 169th Pl.,
Beaverton OR  97006, 800-547-4000, 503-684-3000.

Comments:  A "Version Control System".  They also sell a $150 make.

UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T.
MS-DOS is a trademark of Microsoft.
I'm not speaking for my employer, I'm just speaking my mind.

------------------------------

Date:  Wed, 29 Jul 1987 11:11 EDT
From:  Villy G Madsen <VMADSEN%UALTAVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject:  IBMCACHE

The speedup noticeable with this product when first starting a program
is due to its look ahead capability. It can read more sectors than you
have asked for, and seems to do its caching on a page basis. A page
can be set to 1, 2, 4 or 8 sectors, and if you ask for any sector in a
page then the entire page is read in. This accounts for a lot of the
speed up claimed for the model 50 drives. It works best with the PS/2
drives that are formatted with no skew at all, i.e. sector 2 follows
sector 1 etc. For the other systems out there with skews of 2 or 3
some improvement may be noticed. For those with 6, I doubt if any
improvement would be noticed on startup, with the larger page sizes.

------------------------------

Date:  Wed, 29 Jul 1987 11:47 EDT
From:  Villy G Madsen <VMADSEN%UALTAVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject:  Drive Tables IOCTL 44H

A while back, I sent a note discussing the fact that the DRIVPARMS entry in
CONFIG.SYS no longer works.

After some research, I have found that PC/DOS 3.2 and 3.3 support a new
IOCTL (FUNCTION 44H) call. Function 44H with Al=0DH, and CH = 08H provide
a number of subfunctions  viz:  CL = 40H  Set device parameters
                                   = 60H  Get device parameters
                                   and a bunch more.

It is explained as well as can be expected in the applicable Technical
References. I have included a short MASM program that can be used to set the
characteristics of the B floppy so that it can be formatted with only 10
cylinders. The following program segment sets the default parameters
which are really only used by FORMAT. If you read a disk, then the actual
BPB is read from the boot block and used for all I/O operations to that
disk (other than a FORMAT).

        PAGE    ,132

CSEG    SEGMENT PARA PUBLIC 'CODE'
        ASSUME  CS:CSEG,DS:CSEG

SetDT    PROC
        JMP   StartOfCode

A_DeviceParameters:
SpecialFunctions:    db               04h      ;  this is the new default BPB
                                               ; all sectors are the same size
DeviceType:          db               00h      ; 320/360kb 5.25" floppy
DeviceAttributes:    dw               00h      ; no change line support
                                               ; media is removable
NumberOfCylinders:   dw               5
MediaType:           db               01h      ; media type is dd ds 5.25"
DeviceBpB:

BytesPerSector      dw               512
SectorsPerCluster   db               2
ReservedSectors     dw               1
NumberOfFats        db               2
RootEntries         dw               32
TotalSectors        dw               90
MediaDescriptor     db               0F0H
SectorsPerFat       dw               1
SectorsPerTrack     dw               9
Heads               dw               2
HiddenSectors       dd               0
Reserved_1          dd               ?
Reserved_2          db               6 dup(0)

TrackLayout:
SectorCount:        dw               9h
SectorNumber:       dw               1h
SectorSize:         dw               200h
etc:                dw               2h
                    dw               200h
                    dw               3h
                    dw               200h
                    dw               4h
                    dw               200h
                    dw               5h
                    dw               200h
                    dw               6h
                    dw               200h
                    dw               7h
                    dw               200h
                    dw               8h
                    dw               200h
                    dw               9h
                    dw               200h
StartOfCode:
                    MOV              AH,44H
                    MOV              AL,0DH
                    MOV              BL,2
                    MOV              CH,08H
                    MOV              CL,40H
                    PUSH             CS
                    POP              DS
                    MOV              DX,Offset A_DeviceParameters
                    INT              21H

                mov     ah,4ch
                int     21h

SetDT  ENDP

CSEG    ENDS
        END

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Jul 87 22:34:51 CDT
From: "Curtis Bohl" <C386104%UMCVMB.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Using 2 Printers with Turbo Pascal

>I have just started using Turbo-Pascal in a Radio-Shack Tandy PC-AT.
>I would like to know how I can access two printers (connected to S-8 and
>S-10 )?  I tried the "writeprinter" routine given in Turbo-Pascal
>book...it does seem to print, but the characters are sometime printed twice
>and it is extremely slow...

You might want to try assigning a Pascal file to the LPT1: or LPT2: device.
Example:
   var LPTR_FILE: test;
   begin
      Assign(LPTR_FILE,'LPT1');(* or LPT2 as the case may be *)
      Rewrite (LPTR_FILE);
      Writeln (LPTR_FILE,'This is a printer test');
      Close (LPTR_FILE)
   end.

The MS-DOS printer name can be in a string that can be changed to
whichever printer is needed.

Curtis Bohl <C386104%UMCVMB@WISCVM.ARPA>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 87 20:29:36 EDT
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@braggvax.arpa>
Subject: Memory Resident Program Extractor MARK&REL

To permit easy "unloading" of memory resident (TSR) programs, I'd
suggest the package MARK&REL (usually MARK&REL.ARC on most BBS's),
composed of two utilities, MARK.COM and RELEASE.COM.  (Public domain
or freeware or something, not commercial programs.)

You run MARK with a unique name or identifier, e.g.,
MARK FOOB

MARK remembers the current state of Page 0.

You then install the TSR just like normal.  (All this can work from a
batch file, of course.)

Any time you wish to "unload" the TSR, or ANYTHING for that matter
that was loaded after that MARK, just enter: RELEASE FOOB

RELEASE looks through memory for the appropriate MARK, restores Page 0
per the data MARK saved, and terminates.  All is as before.

This does NOT give any indication as to how much memory your TSR used,
but a utility like MEMSIZ, run before and after you install your TSR,
can tell you that quickly and simply.

Nicest and simplest way I've found to install and uninstall TSRs,
rather than reboot.  Buddy of mine includes these routines in a
batch-file menu, so MARKs and RELEASEs happen automatically and
invisibly.

David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@braggvax.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: 1987 Jul 30   22:03 EDT
From: (Bob Babcock)   PEPRBV@CFAAMP.BITNET
To:   bonak@cs.uiowa.edu
Subject: Turbo C

I don't have Turbo C to experiment with, but I think that your
problem may have to do with a difference between K&R C and ANSI C.
According to K&R, all floats are promoted to doubles before being
passed as function arguments, but I believe that ANSI C can leave the
numbers as floats if there is a function prototype in scope.  In your
example, there is no prototype for operate(a,b), so a and b are
presumably promoted to double.  But in operate, a and b are declared as
float.  So try either changing a and b to double in operate, or declare
void operate(float, float); in main and see if that helps.

------------------------------

Date: 1987 Jul 30   22:14 EDT
From: (Bob Babcock)   PEPRBV@CFAAMP.BITNET
To:   (Info-IBMPC Digest)   Info-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU

I don't have Turbo C, but according to my Computer Innovations  C
manual,  the format %g is for floats, and doubles  require %lg or
%G.  Since scanf is only passed a pointer, it must use the format
specifier  to get the type of the variable  to be stored.   Since
doubles  and  floats  use  different  numbers  of  bits  for  the
exponent,  you get garbage numbers, not just undefined  values in
the least significant bits.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Jul 87 14:06 EDT
From: DON%atc.bendix.com@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: Hebrew Fonts for HP Laser Printer from SoftFonts
To: 5103%lsn.mfenet@NMFECC.ARPA

SoftFonts appears to have Hebrew characters available in several
different type faces for the HP laser printers.  I've used their
other fonts and their font editor.  They are very good, especially if
you use MS Word.

Their phone number: (800)351-0500

Don Mitchell	  		Don@atc.bendix.com
Bendix Aero. Tech. Ctr.		Don%atc.bendix.com@relay.cs.net
9140 Old Annapolis Rd.		(301)964-4156
Columbia, MD 21045

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1987  23:18 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: MicroEmacs 3.8L now available from SIMTEL20

MicroEmacs version 3.8L is now available via standard anonymous FTP
from SIMTEL20:

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD:<MSDOS.MEMACS>
EM38LBIN.ARC.1			BINARY	222208  0BCBH
EM38LDOC.ARC.1			BINARY	 93312  C2B2H
EM38LSRC.ARC.1			BINARY	237425  3CECH

The DOC and SRC files are also available individually in directory
PD:<MISC.MICROEMACS>.

Here is the author's README file:

		MicroEMACS 3.8i Release Notes	April 26, 1987
		[amended for version 3.8l  June 5th 1987]

	(C)opyright 1987 by Daniel M. Lawrence
	MicroEMACS 3.8 can be copied and distributed freely for any
	non-commercial purposes. MicroEMACS 3.8 can only be incorporated
	into commercial software with the permission of the current author.

	MicroEMACS 3.8i is available in a couple of different ways.
First, it is available via my bulletin board system.....

	The Programmer's Room
	FIDO 201/2
	(317) 742-5533
	24 hours  300/1200 baud

	Also it should be online on the following BBS's:

	The Starship Trooper	Fido 201/1	(317) 423-2281	2400
	Duncan Communications			(317) 567-2143	2400

	There it is arranged as three MSDOS .ARC files, EMACSDOC.ARC
which contains the documentation and command files, EMACSSRC.ARC which
contains the sources and the UNIX Makefile, and EMACSEXE.EXE which
contains the MSDOS executables.  Also all the various executables are
available individually.  (On Duncan Communications, only the sources and
documents are present as shar files).

EMACSDOC.ARC includes the files:

	README		This file

	EMACS.RC	Standard startup file
	ME110.RC	HP110 startup file
	ME150.RC	HP150 startup file
	AMIGA.RC	AMIGA ".emacsrc" startup file

	EMACS.HLP	Online help file
	EMACS.TUT	Online tutorial
	EMACS.MSS	MicroSCRIBE format of EMACS.TXT
	EMACS.TXT       NEW EMACS BEGINNER'S/REFERENCE MANUAL
			(missing the formatted version right now....)

	AZMAP.CMD	Translate .SYM files to .MAP
	BDATA.CMD	BASIS Data statement builder
	MENU.CMD	Sample Menu system
	MENU1		   datafile for menu system
	TRAND.CMD	Generate random numbers and do statistics on them

EMACSSRC.ARC includes the files:

	ANSI.C		ANSI screen driver
	BASIC.C		basic cursor movement
	BIND.C		key binding commands
	BUFFER.C	buffer manipulation commands
	CRYPT.C		encryption functions
	DG10.C		Data General 10 screen driver
	DISPLAY.C	main display driver
	EBIND.H		binding list
	EDEF.H		global variable declarations
	EFUNC.H		function name list
	EPATH.H		default path settings
	ESTRUCT.H	configuration and structure definitions
	EVAL.C		expression evaluator
	EVAR.H		EMACS macro variable declarations
	EXEC.C		macro execution functions
	FILE.C		user file functions
	FILEIO.C	low level file I/O driver
	HP110.C		HP110 screen driver
	HP150.C		HP150(A or C) screen driver
	IBMPC.C		IBM-PC CGA and MONOCHROME driver
	INPUT.C		low level user input driver
	ISEARCH.C	incremental search functions
	LINE.C		text line manipulation functions
	LOCK.C		file locking functions
	MAIN.C		argument parsing and command loop
	RANDOM.C	other random user functions
	REGION.C	region cut & paste functions
	SEARCH.C	search and replace functions
	SPAWN.C		OS interface driver
	ST520.C		ATARI ST1040 screen driver [not verified]
	TCAP.C		Termcap screen driver
	TERMIO.C	low level I/O driver
	TIPC.C		TI-PC screen driver
	VMSVT.C		VMS screen driver
	VT52.C		VT52 screen driver
	WINDOW.C	window manipulation functions
	WORD.C		word manipulation functions
	Z309.C		Zenith 100 PC series terminal driver

EMACSEXE.ARC includes the files:

	MEIBM.EXE	IBM-PC CGA/MONO/EGA version
	MEANSI.EXE	MSDOS ANSI graphics version
	ME110.EXE	HP110 portable version
	ME150.EXE	HP150 version
	ME309.EXE	Zenith 100 PC series version
	ME520.PRG	Atari 520/1040ST version
	MEAMIGA.	Amiga 1000 version (missing at this moment...)

	MicroSCRIBE 1.0, which I had hoped to have ready by now, is only
about half written.  MicroEMACS took up more of my time in updates (and
mailings) then I had expected, however having this fairly advanced, and
hopefully fairly stable version, I can get back to getting MicroSCRIBE
written.  Also in the works for a later release is a spell checker
(called MicroSPELL rather predictably) and sometime next year, a
integrated thesaurus program. [MicroSPELL beta version 1.0 will be out
within the month].

	A more customized MicroEMACS for the Macintosh will probably
become available in the next couple of months.  Support for the mouse,
standard file boxes, pull down menus and different resolutions will be
included.  If you can be of help in getting this ready, please contact
me.

	As before, I will continue to support these programs, and
encourage everyone to spread them around as much as they can. If you
make what you think are changes that are useful to many, send me the
updates, and as time permits, I will incorporate the ones I understand,
and agree with into the master sources. Being over swamped with mailers,
I have discontinued my mailing offer, but if you have a special problem
getting hold of MicroEMACS, contact me and we can work something out for
you.

	USmail:	Daniel Lawrence
		617 New York St
		Lafayette, IN 47901

	UUCP:	ihnp4!pur-ee!pur-phy!duncan!lawrence
	or	ihnp4!itivax!duncan!lawrence
	ARPA:	nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu
	FIDO:	The Programmer's Room 201/2
		(317) 742-5533
	ATT:	(317) 742-5153

		New Features
		============

***	IBMPC drivers combined with the EGA driver as well...

	The IBM-PC CGA/MONOCHROME and EGA drivers have been combined
into one driver which will look up the graphics adapter type at startup
and adjust accordingly.

***	Atari 520/1040ST Support added

	The Atari 520/1040ST is now supported in both monochrome and
color modes. Both low and medium resolution can be used with the color
monitor. DENSE mode (40 line) is not ready for the monochrome monitor at
the time of this version. Also shelling out for commands is not ready.

***	Zenith 100 PC series Support added

	Someone sent me this driver. I was able to generate an executable
from it but I do NOT have access to one of these machines. Could someone
please test this one out and get back to me? Thanx. Also the driver's
author's cover letter got ate by the mailer....could someone send some
mail and take credit for this one?

***	TOTALLY NEW MANUAL

	EMACS.TXT is the first draft of a totally new comprehensive
manual written by Brian Straight and myself.  It covers both beginning to
use MicroEMACS and a reference to all the current commands. Appendixes
cover machine dependant versions and the progress on such. The version
here is ready for a printer. A scribe-able version is the source for
this, and is also included.

***	Autosave mode

	This mode, when enabled, will cause your file to be saved to
disk every 256 characters inputed. The count till the next save is held
in $ACOUNT, and the character interval between saves is in $ASAVE.
Add-mode ASAVE to enable this mode.

***	More new functions...

	&LEN	<str>		take the length of a string
	&LOWer	<str>		Lowercase a string
	&UPPer	<str>		Upercase a string
	&RND	<num>		generate a random integer between 1 and <num>

***	New environment variables

	$lastkey	last keystroke struck...
	$curchar	character under cursor (can be changed)
	$version	returns the current program version number
	$progname	always returns "MicroEMACS" for an unmodified emacs
	$discmd		when TRUE, disables echoing of output strings
			on the command line
	$seed		integer seed of random number generator

***	Advanced text processing functions

	trim-line (^X^T) trims white space off the end of lines
	entab-line (^X^E) changes spaces to tabs where possible
	detab-line (^X^D) changes tabs to multiple spaces

***	fixed buffer variable bugs

	Buffer variables can now reference any on screen or off screen
buffer with no restrictions.

***	8 bit chars fixed

	in the MSDOS/AZTEC C version. Aztec was kindly stripping the 8th
bit off of chars when read from a file. I worked around it by putting a
layer under agetc to fix it.

***	list-buffer expanded

	The list-buffer (^X-^B) command, if it has any argument, now
will also list the normally invisible buffers.

***	named procedures

	which are really just named macros can now be defined...

	store-procedure onered
		delete-other-windows
		add-mode "red"
	!endm

	invoked as:

	execute-procedure onered

	or:

	run onered

***	magic searches improved

	searches for strings in magic mode using the
query-replace-string function can now also use the (u)ndo option
reasonable.

***	fixed exec language bugs

	Fixed a number of different bugs in the execution language

***	changed $curcol

	so the first column is now 1 instead of zero.

[These changes are for version 3.8l....]

***	NOP (M-FNC)

	This command does nothing......sound boring? it isboundto the
illegal keystroke M-FNC. This keystroke is executed previous to any time
the user is to type a command. Other things can be bound here.

***	Yet more environment variables

	$wline		returns and sets # lines in current window
	$cwline		returns and set current line within window
	$target		returns/sets target for line moves
	$search		returns/sets default search string
	$replace	returns/sets default replace string
	$match		returns last matched string in magic search

***	Changed delete-next-word

	Rewrote delete-next-word to not kill trailing non-white space
after the last word.  Also a zero argument will cause it to just delete
the word and nothing else.

***	Forced more out

	Clear-message-line, write-message, echo of $debug lines, and
interactive variables now all override the $discmd setting.

***	Startup sequence re-written

	Things work right now.....i.e startup macros execute and can even
exit properly. (like the spell check scan macro...)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Aug 87 14:43:58 EDT
From: Dave Goldblatt <bh0u@clutx.clarkson.edu>
To: info-hz100@radc-tops20.arpa, info-ibmpc@c.isi.edu
Subject: Turbo C patches available

The complete set of patches for Borland's Turbo C compiler, along with a
program to automagically apply these patches, is now available for FTP
from clutx.clarkson.edu.  They are located in /pub/TurboC/tcpatch.arc.
These patches are current as of 7/16/87.  Although Borland provided me
with these patches, they bear no responsibility for them, nor do they
necessarily condone this activity.

Legal stuff aside, I plan on keeping the latest patches, and possibly some
other goodies, in this directory.  The patches are in the public domain, so
please spread 'em around as wide as possible!

-dg-

BITNET: bh0u@clutx
Internet: bh0u@clutx.clarkson.edu
uucp:   {rpics, gould}!clutx!bh0u

Following is the DESCRIBE file from the archive.

[76701,46]
P1TC.DIF/binary           29-Jun-87 384

         floating constant evaluation patch
         allows version 1.0 to evaluate constant division.
         Integrated Environment (TC.EXE) Turbo C version 1.00.

[76701,46]
P1TCC.DIF/binary          29-Jun-87 384

    floating constant evaluation patch
    allows version 1.0 to evaluate constant division.
    Command Line (TCC.EXE) Turbo C version 1.00.

[76701,46]
P2TC.DIF/binary           29-Jun-87 512

         floating point structure push patch
         Allows Turbo C to pass structures with floating point members.
         Integrated Environment (TC.EXE) Turbo C version 1.00.

[76701,46]
P2TCC.DIF/binary          29-Jun-87 512

    floating point structure push patch
    Allows Turbo C to pass structures with floating point members.
    Command Line (TCC.EXE) Turbo C version 1.00.

[76701,46]
P3TC.DIF/binary           29-Jun-87 384

         generate for speed switch patch
         Allows the use of the Generate for speed switch with large
         switch statements.
         Integrated Environment (TC.EXE) Turbo C version 1.00

[76701,46]
P3TCC.DIF/binary          29-Jun-87 384

    STATEMENTS

    This file enables Turbo C to use the Generate for speed option (-G) with
    large case statements.
    This file should be input to PATCH.COM to patch TCC.EXE for Turbo C v1.0.

    To get a copy of PATCH.COM, download a copy of PATCH.ARC.

[76701,46]
P5TC.DIF/binary           29-Jun-87 512

         This file allows BUILD ALL to operate as expected.

[76701,46]
P6TC-2.DIF                02-Jul-87 516

    This patch will change the Turbo C Integrated Environment editor's tab
    width from 8 to 2.

    This file is input to PATCH.COM.

    To get a copy of PATCH.COM, download PATCH.ARC

[76701,46]
P6TC-4.DIF                02-Jul-87 514

    This patch will change the Turbo C Integrated Environment editor's tab
    width from 8 to 4.

    This file is input to PATCH.COM.

    To get a copy of PATCH.COM, download PATCH.ARC

[76701,46]
P7TC.DIF/binary           29-Jun-87 256

         This file stops Turbo C from exiting when ^C or ^Break are
         pressed  during compilation.
         Integrated Environment (TC.EXE) Turbo C version 1.0

[76701,46]
P8TC.DIF                  30-Jun-87 384

    This fixes a problem in the integrated environment where in certain
    circumstances, the temporary file DMMWPGBJ.$$$ is not deleted.

[76701,46]
P9TC.DIF                  30-Jun-87 432

    This file allows the Integrated Environment version of Turbo C to work on
    the IBM PC Jr.  No similar patch for TCC.EXE is needed as that program
    works on the Jr without modification.
    This is an input file for PATCH.COM.  To get a copy of PATCH.COM, download
    PATCH.ARC.

[76701,46]
PATCH.ARC/binary          29-Jun-87 10496

    This file contains PATCH.COM and PATCH.DOC.  PATCH.COM uses the .DIF files
    found in this DL to effect changes to the Turbo C compilers. Download and
    extract the files with an ARC51 compatible dearchiving utility.

End of Info-IBMPC Digest

-------