hicks@WALKER-EMH.ARPA (Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS) (11/14/87)

Info-IBMPC Digest       Thur, 12 November 1987    Volume 6 : Issue 69

This Week's Editor: Gregory Hicks

Today's Topics:
                               Administrivia
                             Priam Hard Drives
                        SIMTEL20 access from BITNET
                   New Software Available from SIMTEL20
                80386 Motherboards for PCs and ATs (2 msgs)
          pd:<msdos.crossasm>ps68a12.arc on simtel20 doesn't work
                        Low Level Format ATFMT.ASM
                          Adding Memory to an EGA
             3 1/2" 720K diskettes formatted as 1.44M (2 msgs)
                          CodeView and LIBraries

Today's Queries:
                             Software Archives
                       Adding Memory to Motherboard
              Graphics Subroutines for MS-Pascal/-C/-Fortran
                      Software for MIDI based systems
                  Manuscript Canon LBP-8A2 Printer Driver
                         NETBIOS Comm Port Driver
                   PS/2 Model 25 Software Identification
                      DOS Backup/Restore Query (help)
                    Word processors w/ multiple colums
                  AST's Async Cluster Adapter DOS Driver
                    Milli-Second Timer Software wanted
                Information Request on Saving Video Memory
                    MIDI and synthesizer for the IBM PC
                Query on RLL controllers with ST-225 drives
                       Statistical Subroutine Query
               TCP/IP for SCO Xenix 386 w/3Com boards Wanted
                               USENET Query
                           Graphics on IBM PC-AT

        INFO-IBMPC BBS Phone Numbers: (213) 827-2635 (213) 827-2515

Date:  Thur, 12 November 1987
From:  Gregory Hicks - COMFLEACTS Chinhae <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>
Subject:  Administrivia

    To all who have been patiently waiting for an Info-IBMPC Digest, I
apologize for the extreme delay between this issue and number 68.  I have
been extremely busy in a one man office here working three ports (seaports
that is...) by myself.  For the forseable future, prospects are bright that
the digest will come out regularly.  Regularly being one or two a week
depending on quantity of mail received.

    I'll be sailing to Okinawa on a 33 foot sloop starting 15 November.
The trip is expected to take a week.  I plan on taking Christmas vacation
in the US in December but will be able to issue the digest from home via
the network.

    On a different subject:  I have been notified that MIT-Multics.arpa
will be going away on 1 December 1987 much to my sorrow.  I can remember
going there on the ARPAnet in the early 70's to experiment with shared
resources, networking, and so forth.  However, the following persons and
distribution lists need to find a new home because I have been unable
to find alternate routing for them:

Info-ibmpc%ubc.mailnet@mit-multics.arpa (@milo.lcs.mit.edu doesn't work
John_vincentubc.mailnet@mit-multics.arpa   for all these listed...)
Dasegal%cls.lcs.mit.edu@mit-multics.arpa
Ray_burge%ubc.mailnet@mit-multics.arpa
ibmpc-list.softarts@mit-multics.arpa
info-ibmpc-disty@mit-multics.arpa

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

------------------------------

Date:         Tue, 20 Oct 87 10:35:22 EDT
From:         Alex Gutman <RAAQC633%CUNYVM.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:      Hard drives

    I have a priam 42 meg HD and have used it with no problem for about 3
months now.   I hear everyone complaining about their hard drives so if
anyone is planning to buy a HD in the near future I'd recommend a Priam.
Average access time is 28 MS.

    I suppose there is no way to install two internal Hard Drives. Anyone
recommend any external hard drives?

[Not true!  BUT your controller has to support two drives AND you should
have room for another half height drive.]

               Alex Gutman (Bitnet:Raaqc633@cunyvm) (Cmpusrv:71420,1516)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Oct 87 23:56:53 MDT
From: Frank J. Wancho <WANCHO@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: SIMTEL20 access from bitnet

software library at SIMTEL20.arpa from BITNET, if a requestor is not at a
'gateway" host, it is impossible to access the repository from BITNET.

    The Info-PC archives are FTP'd by some site with both Internet and BIT-
NET access and stored someplace at the BITNIC.  These files are available
upon request via the ListSERV mechanism.  Persons desiring files should
consult their BITNET ListSERV Documentation or talk to their local BITNET
guru.

    SIMTEL20 experimented with a mail-based server for a while, but gave up
after every gateway in the world complained about the volume and size of
files passing through.  Most of the major groups (eg Info=PC, Info=Mac,
etc. all have repositories at some site on BITNET. Unfortunately, it's not
perfect.

    With the pending merger of BITNET and CSnet, things should be better
soon, but it'll be a while before everything works properly and BITNET can
merge with the Internet.

--Frank
--David Boyles

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1987  23:22 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject:  New Software available from SIMTEL20

[Following is a consolidation of five messages.]

Now available via standard anonymous FTP from SIMTEL20...

Filename                        Type     Bytes   CRC

Directory PD:<MSDOS.HAMRADIO>
MINPROP2.ARC.1                  BINARY  143738  F546H

Directory PD:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>
LIMEMS40.ARC                    BINARY  123488  7BFCH

Directory PD:<MSDOS.XLISP>
XLISPDOC.ARC                    BINARY   24439  34CAH
XLISPEXE.ARC                    BINARY  105740  E123H
XLISPLSP.ARC                    BINARY   11067  F047H
XLISPSRC.ARC                    BINARY   82012  583FH

NCSA Telnet version 2.0 for IBMPC available from SIMTEL20

Directory PD:<MSDOS.TELNET>
PCTEL20.ARC.1                   BINARY  216064  25BEH

*************************

We have doubled the disk storage on SIMTEL20.  In the process some
changes had to be made.  All directories, except those listed below,
which were previously addressed as device PD: must now be addressed as
PD1: These include <CPM*>, <MISC*> and <MSDOS*>.

The following directories must be addressed as device PD2: <ADA*>,
<CM*>, <VHDL*>, <UNIX*>, <MACINTOSH*>, and <PCNET>.

*****************************

MINPROP2 is version 2.0 of the popular H.F. radio propagation prediction
program MINIPROP for MSDOS computers by Sheldon Shallon, W6EL.  This
program allows entry of the latitude and longitude of two locations between
which the minimum usable frequency for ionospheric (skywave) propagation on
frequencies between 3 and 30 MHz will be calculated.  This is really an
oversimplified description of the program as it provides much more detailed
information than just the MUF.  An atlas is available as well as the
ability to generate compass point MUF.  Printer support is included.  No
source code is provided but comprehensive documentation and an executable
.COM file are included in the ARC.

For those without FTP access, this file is available as MINIPROP.ARC from
the GFRN BBS (213) 541-2503 (thanks to Ken Brookner for the pointer).

************

LIMEMS40.ARC

This file contains a complete transcription of the entire Lotus, Intel,
Microsoft (LIM) Expanded Memory Specification (EMS) Version 4.0.

The document is pre-formatted ASCII text that can be printed on a PC with
the DOS command:

     COPY LIMEMS40.DOC PRN:

The document was created and ARC'ed on a PC, therefore each line of text is
terminated with a carriage return/line feed combination.

The printed document is a little over 200 pages in length.

Any reasonable version of ARC (ARC, ARCE, PKXARC, etc) can be used to ex-
tract the two files contained therein (READ.ME and LIMEMS40.DOC).

************

XLISP V1.7

A recent message to info-ibmpc noted that the copies of Xlisp at Simtel20
are rather old (v.1.4), so I have uploaded all the distribution files for
version 1.7.

************

TCP/IP From NCSA

The EDITED announcement from NCSA follows.

--Keith Petersen

Date: Thu, 15 Oct 87 10:02:12 PDT
From: glasgow@marlin.nosc.mil (Michael G. Glasgow)
Subject: 80386 Motherboards for PCs and ATs

     I have seen some interest in the weekly digest about new motherboards
for upgrading PC/XT class machines.  I have upgraded my XT to an AT com-
patible by replacing the motherboard with an ETL 286B motherboard.  This
motherboard has an 80286, a socket for the 287 and sockets for 1MByte of
RAM, as well as an 8/10MHz adjustable clock speed.  What it does not have,
despite claims to the contrary by both the salesman and the company, are
the proper physical dimensions to fit into an XT case.  After buying one I
discovered this fact and ended up buying a new case to house the thing.
After using the board, I am not very pleased with its operation.  It will
not run many memory resident programs, and sometimes simply locks up.  But
it is now a faster AT class machine.

     The real reason for this note is to inform those interested in switch-
ing motherboards about a company offering an 80386 motherboard for the
PC/XT.  The description appears in the 1 Oct 87 issue of Computer Design
magazine on page 94.  The board is supposed to fit in an AT or XT machine.
It offers a 16MHz 80386 with an 80387 socket and sockets for up to 2MByte
on board RAM with zero wait states using 256Kbit chips.  The board sounds
very nice, except for its hefty price tag of $1995.  I would suggest check-
ing the board dimensions before purchasing it, unless you want to replace
your PC case as well as the mother board.

The board is made by:  Monolithic Systems
                       84 Inverness Circle E
                       Englewood, CO 80112

I hope this is helpfull to someone.

michael

net:  michael@marlin.nosc.mil

reallife: NOSC - Code 423
          271 Cataline Blvd.
          San Diego, CA 92152-5000

[For another look at replacing your motherboard, see the following mes-
sage.]

------------------------------

Date: 4 Nov 87 16:36 GMT
From: AIZ @ Walker-EMH.arpa
Subject:  Upgrading to an AT Type Motherboard

Product Review of Link Computers' S-286 Mini (Baby) AT Motherboard

Recently I noticed my home-built XT Clone flaking out and locking up quite
regularly (while posted in Seoul several years ago, several of my friends
and I wandered down to "Parts'R'Us", bought blank motherboards, parts and
pieces, and built our own systems).  To get my system to work I had to pull
the machine apart, reseat all the chips, wiggle boards, and other unmen-
tionables.  After losing several documents and large spreadsheets, I
decided it was time to start shopping for a replacement system.  As you can
well imagine, I really didn't want to buy a whole new machine and have the
guts of an old one lying around.  I began paging through my trusty copy of
"Computer Shopper" and noted the outfits advertising Baby AT motherboards.
After calling most of these shops, I finally picked Link Computer's S-286
motherboard because it had the following specifications:

One year warranty
80287 6/8 MHz Supported
Speed Selection with internal dip switch of 6/8, 6/10 or 6/12 MHz
Speed selection from keyboard high or low speed
Wait State Selection of 0 or 1
1 MB RAM "On-Board" (actually mounts on a special slot; a 4 MB board is
                     available for a few dollars more)
Battery backed Up Clock and CMOS
Accepts both AT and XT keyboards
Less than $400 for OK RAM board

    Link doesn't accept Visa orders over the phone, so I sent a letter or-
dering the motherboard with 1MB RAM (100ns) to be sent via 2nd Day Air
Express.  Six days and $523 later, I received a 4 layer motherboard with a
fully populated 1MB RAM daughter board, and a 60 page User's Manual.

    After stripping my old motherboard out the case (I wanted to do it with
a chain saw at that point), I found to my dismay that the keyboard jack
hole and expansion slots were a different distance apart on the two boards
(My board is a MegaBoard; not an exact XT copy).  I carefully lined up the
S-286 in the case and marked the 1 1/2 inch distance between keyboard jack
and first slot opening.  I drilled a 1' diameter hole and viola ... found
that the mounting holes on the bottom of the case weren't right either.
Easy to fix.  Again line up the motherboard, mark the holes, hit them with
a 3/16" drill bit, pop in the old stand-offs and drop the board in place
(note: I also used a carefully measured piece of stryofoam under the
motherboard slot area to provide additional mechanical support).  Plug in
the power cables and expansion boards and start computing.

The setup and installation instructions in the user's manual are adequate
for most semi-computer literate folks to follow.

Problems:

My floppy disk drive controller doesn't like the 12MHz speed for writing or
formatting.  It appears that my old model FDD controller just can't take
the speed.  The fix is to 1) buy a faster board; 2) Press Alt-Ctrl-Minus to
slow the system to 6 MHz.

The Toshiba 3 1/2 inch drive is not recognized at all.  Inquiries to Link
indicated that the Award BIOS used is really looking for PC-DOS 3.2 or 3.3,
not the MS-DOS 3.2 that I am presently using.  When I get the time, I'll
check it out.

Bottom Lines:  Works like a champ, except as noted.  While there are
several other companies offering similar products for as good a price, most
do not support the 12MHz speed.

Cost:  motherboard = $360,  1MB RAM = $155, Shipping = $9.

Address: Link Computers, 560 S. Melrose St, Placentia, CA 92670.

Phone: (714) 993-6976.

Disclaimer:  I have no connection with any of the above listed corporate
entities, except as a satisfied customer ... ad nauseam

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Oct 87 16:32:17 EDT
From: emv@pepe.cc.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)
Subject: pd:<msdos.crossasm>ps68a12.arc on simtel20 doesn't work.

I picked up all of the Pseudo-Brand assemblers from Simtel20 this June.
(pd:<msdos.crossasm>ps*.*).  Not all of them got used at once - and now
just recently someone here discovered a problem.  I'll repeat his posting:

    "I sent a copy of ps68a12 over to our EE dept., and  they discovered
that doesn't work.  The doc. says to do A68 EXAMPLE, which promptly put the
little bugger in an infinite loop printing out its header message.  Can you
puleze see if they have a working copy laying around.  Thanks."

I picked up a fresh copy from simtel20 but the bug was there too.

Edward Vielmetti, U-Michigan Workstation Group, Ann Arbor MI  48109
emv@umix.cc.umich.edu ; {uunet,rutgers}!umix!emv ; (313) 747-3744

------------------------------

Date: 14 Oct 87 01:28:07 GMT
From: alexande@drivax.UUCP (Mark Alexander)
Subject: Low Level Format ATFMT.ASM

In article <3104@uwmcsd1.UUCP> peter@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Peter J Diaz de
Leon) writes:
>I am running a Compaq Deskpro 286 which is an AT compatable.  I would like
>to change the interleave on my hard drive from 2:1 to 1:1.  I have a
>Miniscribe 20MB and a Compaq HD controler installed.  Does anyone have
>some software for the AT that will allow me to LOW LEVEL format
>my HD with the new interleave.

This question seems to come up quite a bit, so I am enclosing here a
program that can be adapted to do what you want.  It does a 2:1 interleave
format, but the interleave table could easily be changed to do 1:1.

Warning: this is a quick and dirty program.  It's smart enough to query the
BIOS for the disk parameters it needs; it asks you if you're really sure
you want to zap the disk; and it prints a dot at every cylinder to show you
progress.  But error handling is wretched (i.e. a disk error aborts the
program).

Mark Alexander  ...{hplabs,seismo,sun,ihnp4}!amdahl!drivax!alexande

"Bob-ism: the Faith that changes to meet YOUR needs." -- Bob

[ATFMT.ASM has been added to the info-ibmpc lending library. -wab]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Oct 87 12:24:24 PDT
From: ephram@violet.Berkeley.EDU
Subject: Adding Memory to an EGA

[The original request was for adding memory to a "real" EGA.]

    A friend of mine bought the # of necessary chips from a local computer
store.  He read the #'s of the chips to them over the phone (we had a fully
populated one).  They sent him 4164's.  The extra memory appeared as black
and white verticle bars (with a glitchy bar every 8 bars) that took up ap-
prox 1/2 of the screen.  This appeared during the IBM diagnostics.

    Upon closer inspection the IBM EGA adapter takes 150ns 4164's.  He got
them to take back the old ones and we are waiting for the new ones to ar-
rive.

Hope this helps

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Oct 87 10:21:06 -0400
From:  Glenn Larsen <glarsen@note.nsf.gov>
Subject:   3 1/2" 720K diskettes formatted as 1.44M

In an recent Info-IBMPC Digest listing, information was requested pertain-
ing to the users current practice of formatting 720K diskettes as being
1.44K diskettes, in a 3 1/2 inch high density drive.

Although the reasons were not given, IBM specifically warned in their
manuals which came with the PS/2 line of computers that this was extremely
dangerous.  The warning was so strong that IBM indicated that the disk
should be thrown away in that it would not act reliably even though the
disk was reformatted as a 720K diskette.

------------------------------

Date:     Thu, 22 Oct 87  17:30:20 EDT
From:     RAF%NIHCU.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject:  3.5 inch diskettes

> >If that's true, why does IBM say so definitely not to format a 1.44
> >MB diskette as a 720 KB diskette?  (See page 7-130 of the DOS 3.3
> >manual.)  I don't recall any such warning ever being given against
> >formatting a double sided 5.25 inch diskette as single-sided.
>
> The situation is more analogous to formatting 1.2MB diskettes as
> DSDD.  The problem here is not with the media, but with compatibility
> between tracks written with the narrower head width of the high density
> drives and the wider heads of the regular drives.  Does anyone know
> if this is the case with the 1.44MB drives, or if they use the same
> number and width of tracks (and therefore still requiring "only" 135
> TPI density) and just use more sectors per track and a higher bit rate?

They don't say not to format 720 KB disks in a 1.44 MB drive, but rather
not to format a 1.44 MB disk as 720 KB.  There's no mention of any incom-
patibility between 720 KB disks written in 1.44 MB drives and 720 KB disks
written in 720 KB drives.  This seems different than the situation with
DSDD disks written in the high density drive on an AT.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Oct 87 01:54:52 edt
From: tom allebrandi <unipress!ta2%edison.ge.com@rutgers.edu>
Subject: CodeView and LIBraries

In Digest 6-67, Andy Bulka writes that CodeView information is stripped
from an .OBJ by the DOS librarian. (LIB)  That is not true.  All of the
symbolic information is present.  The problem is that LIB modifies the part
of the object file that contains the name of the source file.  When you run
CodeView on a module that has been touched by the librarian, it can't find
the source - which it asks you for.  You can still examine symbols, etc.

I spent about 2 hours a week or so ago fighting this problem.  What follows
is my analysis of what is going on, and more importantly, how to work
around the problem so that CodeView will find the source.

[*> Disclaimer: I am running MSC 4.0, LIB 3.04, LINK 3.51, CodeView 1.0.
Only God and Microsoft know if my comments pertain to other versions.
(Actually, the rumor is that God doesn't know - Microsoft won't tell Him.
:-) ) <*]

    The C compiler writes the path name for the source file into what Intel
called a T-Module Header Record (THEADR) in the 8086 Object Module Format.
LIB changes the contents of the THEADR to contain the name of the object
module as it is stored in the library.  It gets this by using only the file
name from the path for the object file during the insert to the library.

    An example. If you compile T.C, the object module THEADR will contain
the string "T.C".  If you insert T.OBJ into a library, LIB changes the
THEADR to contain just "T".  If you rename the object to Q.OBJ, and then
insert into a library, the THEADR record contains the string "Q".

    LINK copies the contents of the THEADR into the data area that it
leaves for CodeView.  If you link T.OBJ as it came from the compiler, then
CodeView is told that T.C contains the source.  Say you pull T.OBJ from
your library.  CodeView will be told to look for T - not T.C.  If you used
Q.OBJ as in the example, CodeView would be looking for Q.  Take a close
look at the prompt from CodeView.  If you linked source.OBJ as it came from
the compiler, and CodeView can't find it, it prompts you for the path to
source.c.  If the object module came from a library, the .c is conspicous
by its absence.

    The solution to the problem should be self evident: copy T.C to T. If
T. is in your current directory, CodeView will find it.  If not, you can
answer the path question and it will find it. What I have done in my
makefile is:

     .c.obj :
          copy $*.C cvref\$*.
          msc ...

    When CodeView ask for the path to the file, I answer that it is in
cvref and all is well.

    Another approach is to leave the .C off of your source files. Then, you
would be compiling T, who would become T in the library. CodeView would be
happy either way. I use the former since I can't convince the make I'm
using that "." is a legitimate suffix for the .SUFFIXES and the default
rule.

Hope this helps;

Tom Allebrandi II   Advanced Computer Consulting, Inc
US: (804) 977-4272  Charlottesville, VA

------------------------------

Date:     Fri, 2 Oct 87 13:30 M
From:     G.EUSTACE%MASSEY.AC.NZ%waikato.ac.nz@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject:  Software Archives

    Is there anyone or way that the complete IBM PC Software Lending
Library and Software Archives could be sent to me on tape. New Zealand is a
long way from the US and consequently Telecom charges make FTPing a large
volume of files very expensive.

    I am hopeful that some kind sole could fill a few 2400'(1600BPI) 9 trk
tapes for us. We would prefer 'tar' format tapes but ANSI Labeled tapes
would be acceptable as well.

    We are expecting to pay for the media, machine time and airmail postage
to NZ.

    Any help in helping us get access to this software would be greatly ap-
preciated.

A. Glen Eustace           EMail : G.Eustace@massey.ac.nz
Software Manager          SMail : Massey University, Palmerston North,
Computer Centre                   New Zealand.

      or: ACSnet:          G.Eustace%massey@vuwcomp.nz
      or: JANET/Greybook:  G.Eustace@NZ.AC.MASSEY

[Anyway to help New Zeland get the Archives?]

------------------------------

Date:         Tue, 20 Oct 87 10:26:00 EDT
From:         Alex Gutman <RAAQC633@CUNYVM>
Subject:      Adding Memory to a Motherboard

    What's the cheapest and best way to add memory onto my motherboard?  I
currently have 640k but there'll come a time that I will need at least one
megabyte of memory for OS/2.

   Thanks in advance.

                                     Alex Gutman

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 20 Oct 87 14:26 N
From:     <VDVELDE%HLERUL53.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:  Graphics Subroutines for MS-Pascal/-C/-Fortran

I am still looking for a graphic subroutine package for the PC, with the
following criteria:

- Callable from MS-Pascal, MS-C, MS-Fortran.

- Simple plotting, like points, lines, axes, labels etcetera.

- Device independent, e.g. by having a separate driver for an EGA, Her-
cules, CGA etc, or a sort of automatic take file.

- Possibility of hard-copy on a printer AND plotter, e.g. via the HP
protocol. It is fine with me if the output to a plotter has to go through
something like creating a .pic file first, like lotus.

- Not too expensive.

Most of the above things can be done simply in any of the above languages
(I already did).

I have seen a couple of packages, but they all are not want I want.  For
instance, Dr Halo doesn't do plotting on a HP plotter!

Any suggestions?

Enno Van Der Velde, vdvelde@hlerul53.bitnet

------------------------------

Date:         Wed, 21 Oct 87 22:57:22 CDT
From:         "David M. Zielke" <ZIELKEXN%RICE.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:      Software for MIDI based systems

    I am looking for some software which can drive MIDI based systems from
an honest to goodness IBM-PC.  Believe it or not, this is for my mother.
She is interested in playing some piano music on a MIDI keyboard...
Specifically a KORG sampling grand or some such.  Then have the computer
play it back while she practices singing.  Please note that she is a com-
puter NOVICE..  Willing to learn but needs time and effort.

    She has heard of some packages called composer or some such... One from
a company called 'Unicorn Software'? or something.  Has anyone heard of or
had experience with this type of package...  This type of stuff is not
generally found in computer mag's and thus I do not even know where to look
to purchase the software.

               Thanks
                     David M. Zielke

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Oct 87 08:58:35 CDT
From: moore@ncsc.ARPA (Moore)
Subject: Manuscript Canon LBP-8A2 Printer Driver

Can anyone send me a copy of the same?  It's available under CompuServe,
but I don't have an account.

Thanks for trying.

moore@NCSC.arpa

------------------------------

Date:         Thu, 15 Oct 87 11:28:54 CDT
From:         Dan DeNise <C0016%UMRVMB.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:      NETBIOS Comm Port Driver

    I remember seeing somewhere recently about a pair of drivers that al-
lowed Comm ports to be shared transparently on a NETBIOS network;  one
driver on the each end of the connection;  the Comm program uses normal
BIOS calls and thinks its talking to a local port.

    I thought I saw the reference in Info-IBMPC-Digest, but can't find it
in any of the back issues I still have.  I don't have access to SIMTEL, but
I can get at CCUC@UMCVMB.  I looked there and didn't find anything either.
Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance,
  Dan

------------------------------

Date: 15 Oct 87 19:08
From: mitton%nac.DEC@decwrl.dec.com (Dave Mitton)
Subject: PS/2 Model 25 Software Identification

Can anyone out there tell me the following about what the PS/2 Model 25
returns for identification?

- BIOS date
- System type byte @ F000:FFFE
- The contents of the block returned by Int 15, Function C0h?
  In particular:
        - Model type number
        - BIOS rev
        - Features mask

The table on page 174 of the Byte Special issue is excellant.  But he
doesn't mention the Mod 25's exact codes.

        Dave.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Oct 87 23:04:02 PDT
From: Steve Dennett <DENNETT@SRI-NIC.ARPA>
Subject:  DOS Backup/Restore Query (help!)

    Does anyone know how to change a file created with "backup" back into a
regular file, ie. what does "restore" do?  Looking at the files with an
editor, it appears that "backup" just appends a header to the start of the
file, but deleting what seemed to be the header didn't help.

    A friend reformatted her hard disk, then attempted to restore it from
backup files created using the DOS "backup" command.  Unfortunately, the
disk containing one critical file was damaged, and DOS no longer recognizes
it as a backup disk.  She was able to save the critical file off it.

    Any ideas, suggestions for programs, etc. for un-"backup"ing this file
would be useful.  Thanks!

Steve Dennett
 dennett@sri-nic.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Oct 87 09:21:14 edt
From: csmoko@NSWC-OAS.ARPA
Subject: Word processors w/ multiple colums.

    I was wondering if anyone on the NET knew of a word processor that sup-
ported multiple columns(like a newspaper).  Freeware of shareware is
preferred because of limited funding.  I'm submitting this for a friend
that is not on the net.  He mentioned a product called NEW YORK WORD.  I
could not confirm it supporting columns because I have never heard of it.
Any information will be helpful.

                                        Charles Smoko
                                        csmoko@nswc-oas.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Oct 87 09:17:15 PDT
From: oliveb!olivee!lung@Sun.COM
Subject: MS-DOS Async Cluster Adapter DOS Driver

        I am writing a asynchronous device driver under MS-DOS for the AST
Research's Async Cluster Adapter, formallly called Four-Port Adapter.  The
user's manual describes some hints on writing your own device driver.

Anyone have such experience and could tell more about what should be con-
sidered in programming under MS-DOS?

Thanks.

Alan Wang

[This topic is addressed -- though not in great detail -- in the IBM XT
Technical Reference Manual.  --gph]

------------------------------

Date:    fri, 16 Oct 1987
From:    236%DB0TUZ01.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: Trouble with MS-CodeView and Paradise EGA-Card

    I want to use the Debugger "CodeView" from the Microsoft C-Compiler,
Version 4.0, on Tandon PCA 40 with a Paradise EGA-Card.

    However, CodeView does not seem to correctly initialize the graphics-
card.  With the colors I see on the display, working is impossible.  The
same problem exists with a VEGA.  Only with an original IBM-EGA do I get
correct results.

    It seems strange that the restricted version of CodeView (CVR) of the
demo-disk initializes the adapter correctly but not CodeView itself.

Who can help me?

Wolfgang Ksoll

------------------------------

Date: 16 Oct 1987 1619-EDT
From: Charles Huff <HUFF@C.CS.CMU.EDU>
Subject: millisecond timer?

Can anyone provide me with a millisecond timer that can be called from
basic on a PC?  A simple .bin file that I can bload would be just the
thing.

Many Thanks,
-Chuck

------------------------------

Date: 19 Oct 87 14:02:34 PDT (Monday)
From: Bicer.ES@Xerox.COM
Subject: How to save screen memory?

I'm thinking of writing a memory resident program in either 'C' or Basic.
Can anyone point me as to how to save the screen image into a buffer so
that the screen can be restored after the program is done.

        Thanks,
        Jack Bicer

Bicer.ES@Xerox.COM

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Oct 87 00:20:09 pdt
From: ihnp4!well!csz@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Carter Scholz)
Subject: MIDI and synthesizer for the IBM PC

>From:         Erich Neuwirth <A4422DAB%AWIUNI11.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
>Subject:      MIDI and synthesizer for the IBM PC

>I have heard rumours that together with the PS/2 family IBM also announced
>a synthesizer card with built in MIDI interface and the card also shoud be
>able to run on the PCbus, not only in the microchannel.  IBM over here in
>Europe does not know anything about it.

>Can anybody help me?

>E. Neuwirth

This is the "IBM Music Feature", announced in the US on April 2, 1987, with
a list price of $495.  It contains the functional equivalent of a Yamaha
FB-01 synthesizer (eight voices, stereo 10-bit D/A output).  The MIDI in-
terface is a simple ("dumb") UART accessed as a PC port address from the
computer or through a standard MIDI IN jack from an external device.  I
have written voice-editing software for this device and could answer ques-
tions via e-mail.

The Music Feature does indeed run on the old PC bus.

Carter Scholz   (well!csz@lll-crg.ARPA)

------------------------------

Date: 21 Oct 87 23:45 GMT
From: WASHBURN @ Walker-EMH.arpa
Subject: Query on RLL controllers with ST-225 drives

       We have been having some problems using a DTC RLL hard disk control-
ler with a Seagate ST-225 20 meg drive.  Using all standard defaults with
the controller BIOS and entering the error map correctly we show approx
31Meg after format is completed.  Then after loading software, we start to
see errors relating to the drive such as: file not found, could not access
COMMAND.COM, occasional boot problems, and sector not found errors.

      I have heard somewhere that you should NOT use a RLL controller with
a  SEAGATE ST-225 because it was not plated material, but that a ST-238 was
O.K.  I have an NEC D5126 that gives me no problems with the same control-
ler.  Some other friends said they have used the RLL with a ST-225 with no
problems.  But now I see 4 other friends that are trying to use the RLL
with a ST-225 and basically they all have some problem occasionally with
files on the C: drive.

      Somebody else says that SEAGATE ST-225 and ST-238 drives are the same
drive except that the ST-238's have no MAP errors and all ST-225's have the
errors.  Another guy says the electronics is tuned differently on the ST-
238 and that therefore the controller RLL is OK with the ST-238.

      Questions-
      1. Is the ST-238 plated?
      2. Is the ST-225 O.K. to use with the RLL controllers?
      3. Anybody else had similar problems?
      4. Anybody have a list of which drives can be used with RLL and which
should not be used?

You would think the controller card manufactures would supply a list of
which drives will work and which will not!

Larry Washburn
WASHBURN@WALKER-EMH.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 87 22:33:48 -0100
From: Bjorn Remseth <rmz@ifi.UIO.NO>
Subject: Drill ``CAD''

    A friend of mine writes drill programs for a band.  He figures out
what the band does out on the field, writes it out on large pieces of
paper and then instruct the band.  The band he writes for is a military
band, but it looks more or less like a marching band when you see it on
the field.

   From some obscure source he has heard that somewhere in the world there
might be at least one program for the IBM-PC that will help him do this.

This is about as much as I know.  If any of you have heard anything more
about something like this, please send me a message.

Bjoern Remseth                  ! ARPA/Internet: rmz@ifi.no.edu
Institute of Informatics        !
University of Oslo              !

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Oct 87 21:58:52 EDT
From: halp@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Bruce P. Halpern)
Subject: Color Jetprinter and EGA Screen Dump

    I am using an IBM model 3852-c Color Jetprinter with an AT 339 that has
an EGA (fully populated) and 640 K RAM.  An IBM program, PRT3852C.COM, came
with the Color Jetprinter's manual.  This program allows the PrintScreen
key to produce a dump of the EGA screen.

    However, only yellow, white, and black are used to produce all the EGA
colors.  The Color Jetprinter itself is capable of printing  in blue and
red, as well as in yellow, black, and white.  Is there a program that will
allow screen dumps onto this printer that include more of the displayed
colors? In addition (or alternatively) do any graphics or integrated
programs support the Color Jetprinter?

|  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca |
|  ARPA: halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu                                     |
|  BITNET: HALP@CRNLTHRY      D57J@CORNELLA      D57J@CRNLVAX5           |
|  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601   |

------------------------------

Date: 24 Oct 1987 10:01:36 PDT
From: Laurence I. Press <SWG.LPRESS@C.ISI.EDU>
Subject: Statistical Subroutine Query

Can anyone give me pointers to a good source for published algorithms
and or source libraries (in any language) for subroutines for
calculating cumulative values of density functions for a variety
of distributions?

Thanks,
Larry

------------------------------

Date: 24 Oct 87 18:54:49 GMT
From: sundc!netxcom!lchen@seismo.CSS.GOV (Lee Chen)
Subject: TCP/IP for SCO Xenix 386 w/3Com boards Wanted

    Can anyone suggest or relate experiences with TCP/IP products for sys-
tems running SCO Xenix 386 (2.2.1) with 3Com's Etherlink and/or Etherlink
Plus Ethernet boards?

I am currently attempting the connection of an IBM PC/AT w/ Inboard 386 to
a Compaq Deskpro 386-130 via TCP/IP (both running SCO's 386 o/s).  I al-
ready have both a 3C501 and an Etherlink plus, I guess now I just need some
dependable software...

Thanks in advance,

Lee Chen
MIS Systems Administrator
Management Resources International
TEMP: uunet!netxcom!lchen

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Oct 87 10:01:05 EST
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@braggvax.arpa>
Subject: USENET Query

NetLandians,

    A friend asked me how to reach USENET (via ARPA, dialup, whatever), how
to join USENET, whatever.  He's interested in the comp.os.minix net out
there.  Can anyone make me smart on USENET?  And maybe other sources to
discussion and related goodies on minix?

Thanks in advance,
David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@braggvax.ARPA

------------------------------

Date:     Mon, 26 Oct 87 15:27:13 EST
From:     "James J. Pascale" (CCB-T) <pascale@ARDEC.ARPA>
Subject:  Graphics on IBM PC-AT

    A fellow IBM PCer asked me if there was a technical reference manual
that described how the pixel locations were bit mapped to memory for
graphics on a PC-AT with a color graphics card and a Princeton doubler with
a Princeton SR-12 monitor.

    Is it possible to do this from FORTRAN using a transputer he has on his
PC.

    Any leads as to how we can accomplish this would be greatly ap-
preciated.

               Thanks in advance,
                    Jim Pascale

End of Info-IBMPC Digest