hicks@WALKER-EMH.ARPA (Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS) (12/24/87)

Info-IBMPC Digest       Mon, 21 December 1987          Volume 6 : Issue 73

This Week's Editor: Gregory Hicks -- Chinhae Korea <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>

Today's Topics:
                       SIMTEL20 PC/BLUE Now Current
                        FTPing files from SIMTEL20
                Updated LIM EMS 4.0 Specification Available
             Absolute disk read/write from Turbo Pascal v6.68
                      Compute Bound FORTRAN Programs
                            EMS Print Spoolers
                       Stand Alone Plotting Packages
                             Math Co-Processor
Today's Queries:
                            Alternate Networks
                     WDC Ethercard & DECNET-DOS v.1.2
                  Sigma Multi-Function Card Timer Address
                   Mouse Driver for a Tandy 1000 Needed
                      Installation of Curses on a PC
                   AT Configuration as a Data Collector
               System ID on IBM and IBM Compatible machines
                    PC-DOS Location in PC Memory Query

      INFO-IBMPC BBS Phone Numbers: (213)827-2635 (213)827-2515

Date:  Thu, 19 Nov 1987  20:57 MST
From: WANCHO @ SIMTEL20.ARPA
Subject:  SIMTEL20 PC/BLUE Now Current

PD1:<PC-BLUE.VOL318> through PD1:<PC-BLUE.VOL377>, and a new
PD1:<PC-BLUE.VOL000> now exist on SIMTEL20.ARPA and available via
ANONYMOUS FTP.

Also new in PD1:<PC-BLUE> (alias PC-BLUE:) are:

FILES.IDX, a listing of *all* the filenames in all the volumes,
suitable for input to a database.

PC-BLUE.CRCLST, the master CRC list, and PC-BLUE.ARC, the ARC'd
version of that file.

    As usual, the PC/BLUE collections are offered as-is.  If you have a
problem with any of the programs, complain to the author(s) and/or the
PC/BLUE Librarian of The New York Amateur Computer Club.  However, if you
find any of the volumes obviously incomplete or files apparently damaged,
let me know.

    Still in keeping with our old precedents, files with a generation num-
ber of 1 are binary; those with 2 are ASCII.  All files were uploaded with
MEX-PC on the PC side and TMODEM on the TOPS20 side.  The published CRCs
accompanying each volume should match the actual files because the CRCK
program used to generate them assumes the files are multiples of 128 bytes.

------------------------------

Date:  Thu, 19 Nov 1987  20:57 MST
From: WANCHO @ SIMTEL20.ARPA
Subject:  FTPing files from SIMTEL20.arpa

    Please be careful in using the proper FTP options in transferring bi-
nary files from this machine.  From a TOPS20 or TENEX/AUGUST system, use
the default PAGED mode for all files.  From an ITS or other PDP-10 operat-
ing system, use IMAGE mode.  From all other systems, use whatever command
is required to transfer the binary files as a stream of 8-bit bytes.  The
usual user ftp command is "type l 8".  The command "type l 32" may work
*only* if your machine stores bytes in words in the same order as this
machine.  The command "tenex" should be the same as "type l 8", but some
user ftp programs have incorrectly implemented this command to mean "type l
32".  The way to tell is to turn on debug mode and issue the command tenex.
If your ftp sends "type l 32", beat on your system programmer to have that
fixed.

--Frank

------------------------------

Date:  Monday, 2 November 1987  12:30-MST
From: plx!dick@SUN.COM (Dick Flanagan)
Subject:    Updated LIM EMS 4.0 Specification Available

Now available via standard anonymous FTP from SIMTEL20...

Filename            Type  Bytes     CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>
LIMEMS41.ARC.1           BINARY    135522  FA92H

[Wouldn't you know it?  Just when I thought I was done!]

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.MODEM>
DSZ1127.ARC.1            BINARY     60032  CD94H

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.CALCULATOR>
EVAL.ARC.1               BINARY     24353  25D4H

'eval' is a command-line driven floating point calculator that uses the en-
vironment for variable storage (through int 2E).  Source included.

Dick Flanagan, W6OLD
UUCP:  ...!ucbvax!sun!plx!dick
GEnie: FLANAGAN

------------------------------

Date:  Mon, 16 Nov 87 09:39:01 EST
From: nelson @ clutx.clarkson.edu
Subject:  Absolute disk read/write from Turbo Pascal v6.68

    Yes, you CAN use INT 13 to read/write disks instead of INT 25 and INT
26.  Unfortunately, if you do, then your program will not work with in-
stalled device drivers, like a ramdisk.  I found this out the hard way when
the disk recovery program that I wrote couldn't recover my ramdisk.  Ouch!

{ module rwsector.inc -- module to read and write absolute sectors }

[rwsector.pas has been added to the Info-IBMPC Lending Library -- gph]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Dec 87 13:07:13 EST
From: hsi!tankus@uunet.UU.NET (Ed Tankus)
Subject: Compute Bound FORTRAN Programs

    This is a follow-up to Billy B.'s reply to Doug McIntyre's request
regarding compute bound fortran compilers and PC hardware.

    Everything depends on BOTH your application AND your pocketbook.  If
your solution is driven by an overriding need to rid yourself of your
mainframe chains, then you should consider a Compaq 386/20 with a Weitek
math co-processor or a similar offering from ATT (6386) or other vendor.

    The Weitek 1167 requires a special socket that both the Compaq and ATT
machines offer.  On the co-processor is a socket for the 80387 (!).
Microway, Inc. of Kingston, Mass. sells BOTH the Weitek AND a Weitek-
compatible Fortran compiler designed to take advantage of the Weitek's
mathematical prowess (~3X 80387).

    Both systems can handle hard disks of ~300Mg or greater.  The ATT
machine can be configured with up to 46 or 48M of 32-bit RAM (how deep are
your pockets?).  The Compaq can be configured with about 16M of 32-bit RAM.

    In any case, you have a lot of horsepower here.  Just be careful that
you are not simply throwing it at the problem as Billy implies.

Cheers!

-- Ed.

Net  :  {uunet,ihnp4,noao,hao,yale}!hsi!tankus
Snail:  Health Systems Int'l, 100 Broadway, New Haven, CT 06511
Bell :  (203) 562-2101

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Dec 87 13:26:40 EST
From: hsi!tankus@uunet.UU.NET (Ed Tankus)
Subject: EMS Print Spoolers

A reply to Jeff Bushman and his request for an EMS print spooler:

   Tall Tree Systems sells an EMS print spooler than can be purchased
separately from the add-in board.  It is called JSpool or something
similar. Cost should be under $100.  I don't know if AST, etc. unbundles
their spooler.

    Another option is a commercial program called PrintQ from SDI (1-800-
346-7638).  This program intercepts documents bound for the printer and
spools them to disk.  It supports laser, printer preview, priority print-
ing, forms alignment, etc.  Don't know if it is network compatible.  List
is $89.

Hope this helps.

Date: Wed, 9 Dec 87 13:11:28 EST
From: hsi!tankus@uunet.UU.NET (Ed Tankus)
Subject: Stand Alone Plotting Packages

This is in response to Gary Chapman:

    There is a firm called Microcompatibles, Inc. in Silver Spring, MD that
offers a standalone plotting package called Omniplot that (I believe) sup-
ports your older Houston plotter and some or all of the Lotus files.  I
don't have the phone number handy but it is available from information.
The package is about $300.

Date: Wed, 9 Dec 87 13:29:15 EST
From: hsi!tankus@uunet.UU.NET (Ed Tankus)
Subject: Math Co-Processor

Reply to John Shaver and the query in Info-IBMPC Digest V6 #71

    Try Microway, Inc. in Kingston, Mass.  They are one of the world's
largest suppliers of math coprocessors, etc.  My friends have had good luck
with their products and support.

Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1987  13:27:27 EST
From: TS5864%OHSTVMB.BITNET@jade.berkeley.edu
         (Thomas Lapp (The Ohio State University))
Subject: Alternate Networks

    Here is my problem.  I will be leaving the net (BITNET) soon, but I
have become quite hooked on e-mail and digests while a user.  What I would
like to know, is how easy or difficult it would be to set up my own machine
as a network node (IBM PC Portable with memory and other goodies)?  I have
heard of a network for PC's (FidoNet?) which has a gateway or two to UUCP,
Usenet, etc., but I do not know what software runs on the pc, how you find
your nearest node, etc.  Any help in this regard would be appreciated.
Please mail to me direct, and I will summarize.

        Thomas Lapp                            |"Those who cannot do,
 UUCP: Not quite sure yet                      |    teach;
 BITNET: TS5864@OHSTVMB.BITNET                 | Those who cannot write,
 ARPA:   TS5864%OHSTVMB.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu |    write manuals"
 INTERNET: LAPPT@ee-eagle.ohio-state.edu       |        - Sally Hundley

[There is a discussion of the various types of networks in the August 87
issue of Proceedings of the ACM.  It discusses almost all of the networks
currently in existence as well as what has to be done to join UUCP, BITNET,
FIDONET, the Amateur Radio Network, and so on.  Software is not discussed
but you might peruse the PD:<msdos>files.idx for a listing of available
Public Domain BBS, PCIP, et al software. -- gph]

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 1 Dec 87 16:30 N
From : Karel van Zeeland (ZEELAND@HLERUL5.BITNET)
Subject:  WDC Ethercard & DECNET-DOS v.1.2

    Does anybody have information about using the Western Digital EtherCard
Plus together with DECNET-DOS v.1.2?

    The driver software needed to install the card properly under DECNET-
DOS does not come with the adapter, so I cannot use the card.  Furthermore
my dealer doesn't seem to be able to answer this question.  Is there
anybody that has any experience with this adapter and can help me get
things up and running.

Greetings from Holland,

Karel van Zeeland
Leiden State University
Centraal Rekeninstituut
Niels Bohrweg 1
2333 CA  LEIDEN

------------------------------

Date:         Wed, 02 Dec 87 10:21:57 SST
From:         Luther Chan <ISCCHAN%NUSVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:      Sigma Multi-Function card Timer address

Can anyone out there help?

    I am trying to install a UNIX like system (Venix) on an IBM PC.
Everything seems working well, except it can not boot up with the time in
the MULTI-FUNCTION card.

    The version of the UNIX is VENIX for IBM PC/XT, I am not too sure is
there anyway for me to make the timer software for MSDOS work in VENIX.
However it appears that VENIX diskette format is different from MSDOS.

    At the moment I am trying to write an assembly program for VENIX to
access the battery backed timer to the system, what I need now is the
address and format of the timer for the Sigma Multi-Function card.

  Can anyone provide the addresses and format of the data?

Luther Chan
                My node :         iscchan@nusvm.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: 20 Nov 87 02:24 GMT
From: scx-7af @ Walker-EMH.arpa
Subject: Mouse Driver for a Tandy 1000 Needed

    Does anyone have a mouse driver or patch the supplied mouse.drv that
comes with Microsoft Windows 1.03?  The digi-mouse with it's supplied
mouse.sys file installed works without any problems on Flight Simulator,
Microsoft Paint Brush, Microsoft Show Partner, Ventura Publisher, Gem, and
even the demo programs that come with the Microsoft Mouse software.  Any
help to make the digi-mouse work under Microsoft Windows 1.03 would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ben Weeston
SCX-7AF @ Walker-emh.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Dec 87 11:10:36 est
From: Mike Watson <mwatson@NSWC-OAS.ARPA>
Subject: Curses for PC

     I have been trying to install curses on my Zenith 248 and am having a
few problems and would appreciate some insight.

     Which make works with the makefile for PCURSES?  I got PCURSES.ARC
from simtel20 and can't get it installed.  MS make fails abysmally, but so
does NDMAKE.  I'm wondering if I'm just not using the right make or if I
don't have all the files.  I don't have any .obj files (which seems to be
blowing up make).  I also noticed that I don't have sgtty.h.  I'm using MS
5.0 C-compiler; would that make any difference?

     I have also looked at PCCURSES (also snarfed from simtel20) which has
a make utility with it.  The problem is that MASM is required which I don't
have.  Are either or both of these good curses packages?  And does anyone
have any hints on installation.

                      Thanks,

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Dec 87 15:32:07 EST
From: jfjr@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Freedman)
Subject: AT Configuration as a Data Collector

   I have used (and purchased) IBM AT's before but that was for data col-
lection requiring low level BIOS twisting and also for my company so I
wasn't too worried about price. Now I am looking into buying an AT (or
equivalent) for myself only I have to pay for everything and I will be
doing mostly scientific- math programming on it.

   What's an effective configuration?  There never used to be a decent
FORTRAN for an AT around has the situation changed?

   How about a good math library (matrix operations FFT,Bessel etc.)?  Is
MSC, TurboC,or Turbo Pascal any good for math?

advice, admonitions, warnings, prayers, incantations, references, pointers
all gratefully accepted.

Jerry Freedman, Jr      "Every silver lining
jfjr@mitre-bedford.arpa   has a cloud to go around it"
(617)271-4563

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Dec 87 14:34:50 est
From: Denis Haskin <dhaskin%lucy.wellesley.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: System ID on IBM and IBM Compatible machines

    This is a rather naive question that probably has a simple answer, if
there is one.   We are seeking a way to identify (within a batch file) what
kind of PC compatible machine this is -- in particular, whether it is an
IBM PC or an AT&T 6300.  Presumably there is some register or memory loca-
tion in which one could find some indication of the underlying hardware.  A
cursory glance at the IBM PC Technical Reference manual didn't turn up any-
thing enlightening.

Please respond directly to me.  If a solution turns up I'll post it back to
the list.

Thanks in advance for any assistance in this -

Denis Haskin, Network Manager
Wellesley College
DHaskin@Lucy.Wellesley.Edu

Date:  Wed, 9 Dec 87 10:13 EST
From:  Casimir@DOCKMASTER.ARPA
Subject:  PC-DOS Location in PC Memory

    I am trying to locate IBM PC DOS (Versions 2.x and 3.x) along with any
buffers that DOS uses in the memory of the following:  IBM PC, XT & AT.

Thanks.

End of Info-IBMPC Digest