hicks@WALKER-EMH.ARPA (Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS) (12/28/87)

Info-IBMPC Digest       Wed, 23 December 1987        Volume 6 : Issue 74

This Week's Editor: Gregory Hicks -- Chinhae Korea <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>

Today's Topics:
                            Alternate Networks
                    Microsoft C compiler setup program
     Software to Transfer Binary Files from SIMTEL20 to VAX/VMS hosts
                      <Ctrl-W> and <Ctrl-U> in KB.ASM
               Xmodem for 4.2/4.3 BSD Unix (and maybe Sys V)
                     Software available from SIMTEL20
                            MIDI for the IBMPC
                    Satellite Tracking Software Summary
                   Lab Tech Notebook and Dadisp (2 msgs)
                          Mouse Message Decoding
Today's Queries:
                         Printing of Music Script
                     BBS for IBM or clone using MSDOS
                          Problems with hard-disk
                         MS-C 5.0 and -386 Support
                            Software Vandalism
                       VT240 Emulator for PC Request
                      Help on disk drives & monitors
                      Disabling XT Keyboard Typematic
                            PCChart vs Graftalk
                Problems with Sidekick and DOS 2.11 backup
                   3-dimensional Graphics Program Needed
                          AUTOMENU - help please
              Driver for Summagraphics Graphics Tablet needed

      INFO-IBMPC BBS Phone Numbers: (213)827-2635 (213)827-2515

Date: Fri, 25 Dec 87 11:00 GMT
From Gregory Hicks COMFLEACT <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>
Subj: Alternate Networks

    In Issue #73, I made an addendum to the request from Thomas Lapp
<ts864%ohstvmb.bitnet@jade.berkeley.edu> on information about alternate
networks and how to join. I mentioned the October 87 issue of the Proceedings
of the ACM.  I made a mistake:  It should have been the October 86 issue from
the Communications of the ACM.  The article is titled "Notable Computer
Networks".

    Regret the error.

Gregory Hicks

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 87 18:44:33 EST
From: Joe Morris (jcmorris@mitre.arpa) <jcmorris@mitre.arpa>
Subject: Microsoft C compiler setup program

    For anyone getting the Microsoft C Compiler Release 5.0: somebody at
Microsoft apparently changed the setup program after the beta tests were
finished, causing it to attempt to write on the last distribution diskette
instead of the hard disk during installation.

    Microsoft says that this shouldn't cause any problems, but can't say
why the program is doing this.  They insist that "it didn't do that in the
internal tests".  I replied "ignore" to the error message when it tried to
write through my file protect tab, and the installation seems to have run
to completion without any errors.

    A little experimentation showed that it is apparently writing temporary
files with data from the SETUP command line, then erasing the file.

Joe Morris

------------------------------

Date:  Fri, 4 Dec 1987  14:39 MST
From: "Keith Peterson" W8SDZ @ SIMTEL20.ARPA
Subject:  Software to Transfer Binary Files from SIMTEL20 to VAX/VMS hosts

    The program below may help solve the problem of transferring binary
files from SIMTEL20 to VAX/VMS hosts.

Filename            Type  Bytes     CRC

Directory PD1:<MISC.VAXVMS>
BINTNXVMS.C.1            ASCII      10823  23F1H
BINTNXVMS.README.1       ASCII        336  1D2EH

Here is the readme file:

    BINTNXVMS.C is for use on VAX/VMS systems to convert a TOPS-20 file
transferred in FTP "binary" mode to "tenex" mode.  In "binary" mode, we
have 2 36-bit words in 9 8-bit bytes.  In "tenex" mode, we want the top 32
bits of each 36-bit group, giving 8 8-bit bytes.  See the notes in
BINTNXVMS.C for instructions on command options.

--Keith

------------------------------

Date:  Mon 14 Dec 87 19:46:28-PST
From: KNIGHT @ Russell.Stanford.EDU
Subject:  <Ctrl-W> and <Ctrl-U> in KB.ASM

    Using KBEDIT.ASM, a public domain command line editor/expanded
typeahead buffer/command history hack, I have made KB.ASM, which provides
^W and ^U command line editing, as well as other useful changes.

    KB.ASM is available via anonymous FTP from SIMTEL20.ARPA.  File infor-
mation follows:

Filename                        Type    Bytes   CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.KEYBOARD>
KB.ASM.1                        ASCII   77846  FFC4H

Instructions for building the device driver are contained in the file.

Bob

------------------------------

Date:  Sun, 6 Dec 1987  10:25 MST
From: W8SDZ @ SIMTEL20.ARPA
Subject:  Xmodem for 4.2/4.3 BSD Unix (and maybe Sys V)

Filename            Type  Bytes     CRC

Directory PD2:<UNIX.XMODEM>
XMODEM34.SHAR.1               ASCII      84452  D010H

    The xmodem program implements the Christensen (XMODEM) file transfer
protocol for moving files between 4.2/4.3BSD Unix systems and microcom-
puters.  The XMODEM/CRC protocol, the MODEM7 batch protocol, the XMODEM-1K
block protocol and the YMODEM batch protocol are all supported by xmodem.
For details of the protocols, see the document edited by Chuck Forsberg
titled XMODEM/YMODEM Protocol Reference.

    This program runs on 4.2/4.3BSD systems ONLY.  It has been tested on
VAXes and Suns against the MEX-PC program from Niteowl Software and the
ZCOMM and DSZ programs from Omen Technology.

------------------------------

Date:  Thu, 10 Dec 1987  20:32 MST
From: W8SDZ @ SIMTEL20.ARPA
Subject:  Software available from SIMTEL20

    The long-awaited PIBterm 4.0 modem terminal and file transfer program
for MSDOS is now available from SIMTEL20, complete with source code...

Filename            Type  Bytes     CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.MODEM>
PIBT40S1.ARC.1           BINARY    215021  7383H \
PIBT40S2.ARC.1           BINARY    228059  6782H  \
PIBT40S3.ARC.1           BINARY    218541  BB6CH  /- source
PIBT40S4.ARC.1           BINARY    239802  5FFEH /
PIBT4EXE.ARC.1           BINARY    349304  D5F5H
PT4DOCS.ARC.1            BINARY    226867  75C9H
PT4FNOTE.DOC.1           ASCII        541  4B94H
PT4SREAD.ME.1            ASCII      12677  DFC6H

--Keith Petersen
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA
Uucp: {bellcore,decwrl,harvard,lll-crg,ucbvax,uw-
beaver}!simtel20.arpa!w8sdz

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Dec 87 16:23:42 PST
From: Dallas_Hinton%UBC.MAILNET@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: MIDI for the IBMPC

    The synthesizer board which IBM is selling is functionally identical to
a Yamaha multi-timbral box.  It contains several (8?) synthesizers with no
keyboard, plus a drum machine.  It is quite a good sound (in fact one of
the best sounding units I've heard) but is somewhat clumsy to work with.

    A cheaper route, but equally satisfactory, is the Roland MT-32 which is
8 single-voice synths plus drum machine, again with no keyboard.  Both the
MT-32 and the Yamaha equivalent (whatever it's number is) are in the 700 to
1000 Canadian price range.

    I can't truthfully see any point in wasting a slot on an internal sys-
tem unless you're on the road a LOT and need the space.  I think you'll
find an external system more flexible and more friendly.  Try an MT-32 or
equiv. box with a Roland S-10 sampling keyboard.  It will cost about the
same and do wonderful things!

Cheers, Dallas

    Just for information, I am a music teacher at a secondary school in
Vancouver, B.C., and have no connection with any commerical (or non-
commercial) company of any sort.  I have been using MIDI based equipment in
the classroom for about 2 1/2 years now, and am still learning.  I will be
the first to admit that I am biased...I believe in using what works,
regardless of who makes it!

------------------------------

Date:     Wed, 9 Dec 87 11:22:51 MST
From:     John Shaver Modernization Office <steep-mo-m@HUACHUCA-EM.ARPA>
Subject:  Satellite Tracking Software Summary

From:     <11SSTEIN%GALLUA.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>

    I would suggest that you ask this user for the program...
    DWELLS@NRAO.BITNET - National Radio Astronomy Observatory...

11SSTEIN@GALLUA

From:     bobw%chem.span@VLSI.JPL.NASA.GOV (Bob Wood WA7MXZ, USU Chemistry)

The best satellite tracking program I have ever seen for PC use was written
by Dr. Bob McGwier, N4HY. His program is available from:

AMSAT  (Amateur Satellite Corp.)
P.O. Box 27
Washington, D.C. 20044    (301)589-6062

    The price is very nominal. The program can run with an 8087 coprocessor
to speed up calculations. The graphics are very good, the system is easy to
use and can be interfaced to an antenna tracking system.

Bob Wood, WA7MXZ

From: Dallas_Hinton%UBC.MAILNET@um.cc.umich.edu

    Almost any decent Amateur Radio shop should produce several pieces of
software for tracking satellites in both real and step time.  Most if not
all require an 8087 math co-processor (or equiv.).

From: allegra!ulysses!sfmag!sfsup!sfmin!martyf@EDDIE.MIT.EDU

    Enclosed is a basic program that calculates the azimuth and elevation
for satelite tracking systems.  The source of this program is unknown,
however it appears to do the job.

Marty Fleming
attunix!martyf
201 522 5001

[SATELITE.BAS has been added to the Info-IBMPC Lending Library. --gph]

------------------------------

Date: 2 Nov 87 14:34:41 PST (Monday)
From: Bicer.ES@Xerox.COM
Subject: Lab Tech Notebook and Dadisp

    Has anyone heard of programs called "Lab Tech Notebook" and "Dadisp"?
Does anyone know where or how to get them?

        Thanks in advance,
        Jack Bicer

Bicer.ES@Xerox.COM

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Nov 87 17:36:40 -0800
From: Roy Stehle <stehle@tsca.istc.sri.com>

    The following is taken from a catalog of Interleave, Inc., 2940 Noble
Road #3, Cleveland Heights, Ohio 44121.  (216) 291-1001.

Order No. 4017A  DADISP by DSP Systems, $795.00

Order No. 8002A  Labtech Notebook by Laboratory Techniques, $895.00

    I have not done business with this company and I would expect other
suppliers could meet your needs.

Roy Stehle
SRI International

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Nov 87 13:18:36 EST
From: jcm@ORNL-MSR.ARPA (James A. Mullens)
Subject: Mouse Message Decoding

    The PC Mouse people (Mouse Systems) originally made a mouse that took
its power from a AC-DC transformer which you plugged into the wall.  If you
have trouble supplying power via the 232 port, you might try to find the
older model (and save some money too).

    The PC mouse documentation does explain how to decode the mouse mes-
sages.  They offer to send the source code to their installation test
program.  It is very easy to decode the mouse messages.

I can't tell you how much power the new PC Mice use from the serial port (I
have the old model).

------------------------------

Date:         Thu, 05 Nov 87 16:07:34 SST
From:         "L. Chandra" <LEONGSPB%NUSVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:      Printing of Music Script

    I am looking for software to print professional quality Music Script.
I know of SongWrite (ver I) but it is not good enough. I would appreciate
any recommendations.  Thank you.

------------------------------

Date:     Fri, 6 Nov 87 14:46 EST
From:     <BRUCEH%UTKVX3.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:  BBS for IBM or clone using MSDOS

  I need a bulletin board system to run on MSDOS and a PC or clone.
Preferably it would be public domain, but if anyone knows of a good
shareware BBS, i'd be interested in it also.

Thanks,

Bruce Harrison
Univ. of Tenn. at Martin
BRUCEH@UTKVX1  (bitnet)

------------------------------

Date:         Tue, 15 Dec 87 11:36:54 SST
From:         RPR9385%NUSVM.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject:      Problems with hard-disk

   I have a cheap IBM PC clone, running at 4.77/8 MHz with DOS 3.1.
Recently I bought a hard-disk (SEAGATE ST 238 30Mb) to use with my PC.
However, my system refuses to work with my hard-disk at 8 MHz.  If I switch
my PC to 8 MHz, it will run fine for 10-15 minutes and then the PC freezes
up and only a CTRL-ALT-DEL will work.

    There is not problem when running at 4.77 MHz.  But I long for the 8
MHz speed.  I don't know much about the inner workings of the PC, so I am
unable to solve this problem.  I wonder if anyone out there might have any
suggestions for me.  Thanks!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Dec 87 17:22:15 est
From: stev@OBERON.LCS.MIT.EDU (Stev Knowles)
Subject:  MS-C 5.0 and -386 Support

    We just got in our copies for MSC5.0 and it doesnt seem to support
80386 code. (*sigh*). is there a free update on the way?

    well, any recommendations about good 386 compilers?

    any word from Microsoft about when to expect support from them?

thanx . . .

stev knowles
ftp software
617-868-4878

------------------------------

Date:      08 DEC 87 09:00 EST
From:      V2002A%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject:   Software Vandalism

     Are there any legal precedents on the books for software vandals
caught willfully propagating 'virus' or 'infectious' programs?  I ask this
because I received the following on another network.

Andy Wing  V2002A%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

From:  Kenneth R. van Wyk, User Services Senior Consultant, Lehigh Univ.
          <LUKEN@VAX1.CC.LEHIGH.EDU>

    Last week, some of our student consultants discovered a virus program
that's been spreading rapidly throughout Lehigh University.  We have no
idea where the virus started, but some users have told me that other
universities have recently had similar problems.

The virus: the virus itself is contained in the stack space of COMMAND.COM.

    When a pc is booted from an infected disk, all a user need do to spread
the virus is to access another disk via TYPE, COPY, DIR, etc.  If the other
disk contains COMMAND.COM, the virus code is copied to the other disk.  A
counter is incremented on the parent.  When this counter reaches a value of
4, any and every disk in the PC is erased thoroughly.  The boot tracks are
wiped, as are the FAT tables, etc. This affects both floppy and hard disks.
Meanwhile, the four children that were created go on to tell four friends,
and then they tell four friends, and so on.

    Detection: First, the write date of the command.com changes.  Second,
if there's a write protect tab on an uninfected disk, you will get a WRITE
PROTECT ERROR...  So, boot up from a suspected virus'd disk and access a
write protected disk - if an error comes up, then you're sure.  Note that
the length of command.com does not get altered.

    I urge anyone who comes in contact with publicly accessible disks to
periodically check their own disks.  Also, exercise safe computing - always
wear a write protect tab.

------------------------------

Date: 08 Dec 87 09:30 EDT
From: C0144%CSUOHIO.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: VT240 Emulator for PC Request

    Can anyone supply me with a public-domain VT-240 terminal emulator for
a PC/XT/AT? There are several people here at Cleveland State that would
like to make use of it if I can find one.  Thanks.

   -Dave Chatfield  C0144%CSUOHIO.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU ('til 12/15/87)
                    necntc!ncoast!ohiont!davec@husc6.harvard.edu

------------------------------

Date:         Tue, 08 Dec 87 13:40:14 CST
From:         Derek Morgan <C03601DM%WUVMD.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject:      Help on disk drives & monitors

    Does anybody out there know of any monitor/video card sensing and set-
ting software?  Also, any ideas on how to sense a disk drive type would
also be appreciated.  We have a variety of monitors and disk drives to cope
with when writing applications in C (Microsoft 5.0).  It'd be nice to be
able to define monitor and disk drive configuration at run-time instead of
compiling one version for every combination, or am I just dreaming?

Thanks in advance,

Derek Morgan               Disclaimer: Personal opinions in this posting.
Washington University
Medical Comp. Services

------------------------------

Date:      Thu, 10-DEC-1987 17:00:22.41 GMT+1
From:      <bpme001%DTUZDV5A.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject:   Disabling XT Keyboard Typematic

    Does somebody know how I can switch off the Typematic action of the XT-
Keyboard. Yes.. I know how to find out whether a scan code comes from a key
that was pressed several times or from Typematic, but I have an application
where for a key I only get the press and release code be it pressed 1 mil-
lisecond or 1 year.

Dieter Menne
Biologie III - Zoophysiologie
7400 Tuebingen
F.R. Germany         Bitnet BPme001@DTUZDV5A

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Dec 87 13:57:27 EST
From: gorman@braggvax.arpa
Subject: PCChart vs Graftalk

    I am trying to provide a colleague with unbiased comparitive evalua-
tions of GrafTalk (Version 4) and a lesser-known business graphics package,
PCChart by Aztec, and would like any comments, favorable or unfavorable, as
to eithers user interface, ease of application, performance, local area
network support, and general utility.

Thanks in advance,
Bryan L. Gorman

------------------------------

Date: 8 December 1987, 09:48:41 MEZ
From: "Rainer Kleinrensing" UNI217%DBNRHRZ1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Problems with Sidekick and DOS 2.11 backup

    We currently have a problem with Sidekick V1.50: we are using a COMPAQ
portable (COMPAQ Plus, PC-compatible) with a NEC V20 and DOS 2.11. Due to
the special application software we cannot switch to DOS 3.x (the software
will hang).

    The problem: when Sidekick is in memory and we make a backup using the
standard DOS Backup program, all works.  However, when trying to restore
the backup, RESTORE says the files on the disk are in the wrong order and
stops.  When we remove Sidekick from memory, the backup/restore sequence
works fine.  Has anybody out there had any (perhaps different) problems
with Sidekick or the backup program? Thank you,

    Rainer Kleinrensing

------------------------------

Date:        Mon,  14 Dec 87 10:03:19 +0200
From:        <MASCHLA%HBUNOS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject:     3-dimensional Graphics Program Needed

    My research on dynamic systems encountered in game theory have lead me
to the following problem:

    I have to view the graph of a function z=f(x,y), say from a position in
the first orthant above the surface of the graph. Moreover, I want to see a
path on this surface, given by a sequence (x(n),y(n)), n=1,2,3,...  The
function f(x,y) is essentially arbitrary (I have to study several such
examples).

    For a different project, I would also like to see a trajectory under
the graph leading from the origin to a point on the surface.  The trajec-
tory is given by a sequence (x(n),y(n),z(n)), n=1,2,...

    Does any one know or have a program that could help me?

    Can any one suggest where to find formulas that could plot points
(x,y,z) in a way that gives impression of a 3-dimensional object, so that I
can program my own routines for these programs?

    Please send a reply directly to MASCHLA@HBUNOS.BITNET. I shall post any
useful answer that I get to info-ibmpc.

Thank in advance,

Michael Maschler
Department of Mathematics
The Hebrew University, Jerusalem

------------------------------

Date: 14 Dec 87 10:31:12 GMT
From: trw@hrc63.co.uk (Trevor Wright Marconi Baddow)
Subject: AUTOMENU - help please

    I have seen a small utility called AUTOMENU and obtained an evaluation
copy. It seems to be public domain or shareware. Can anyone please confirm
this and if possible provide a list of the characters that drive the
definition of menus in the data files.

    If anyone can give me the author and cost then so much the better - is
there a UK distributor.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Dec 87 17:34:55 EST
From: gorman@braggvax.arpa
Subject: Driver for Summagraphics Graphics Tablet needed

    Anyone out there with an MS-DOS driver for a Summagraphics MM 12X12
graphics tablet?

Please reply directly.  Thanks.

Regards,
Bryan Gorman