hicks@WALKER-EMH.ARPA (Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS) (01/01/88)

Info-IBMPC Digest       Tue, 29 December 1987       Volume 6 : Issue 75

This Week's Editor: Gregory Hicks -- Chinhae Korea <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>

Today's Topics:
                         CAPSCTRL.ASM Re-submitted
                      WSSI322 File Indexing Software
                            Printer Redirection
                 MSC 4.0 to MSC 5.0 conversion experiences
                           SURFMODL 1.31 release
              Cannot Run Microsoft C within Microsoft Windows
                             t3 Word Processor
                  Writing DOS Drivers Information Source
                Zenith 148 Multi-Function Board Capabilities
                            NetHack executables
Today's Queries:
                       Interpreting Mark-Sense Forms
                     CGA game software and EGA boards
                                   Minix
                        FTPing Files from Simtel20
                               UUCP for IBMs
                               Where is FIDO
                     Supercalc4 1.10 and Paradise EGA
             Information on Lotus worksheet (.WKS) file format
                    MicroSoft C V4.0 Allocation Problem
                Terminal Settings for my Clone running Unix
                     Floating Bar Chart Software Query
       Reading Directory Entries and Volume Labels from Turbo Pascal
                 How to do Snow-free Screen Memory Access

         INFO-IBMPC BBS Phone Numbers: (213)827-2635 (213)827-2515

Date: Wed 16 Dec 87 10:34:30-PST
From: Ted Shapin <BEC.SHAPIN@ECLA.USC.EDU>
Subject: capsctrl.asm

  I noticed a note that this got lost when Hess submitted it.  Anyway, here
it is again:

Date:  Tue, 15 Dec 87 20:17 EST
From:  Hess@MIT-Multics.ARPA

CapsCtrl.asm

This tiny tsr makes the "caps-lock" key act like the "Ctrl" key on the IBM
101-key keyboards.  To get a real caps-lock, type shift+caps-lock.

[CAPSCTRL.ASM was not transmitted (or got lost in the net somewhere...) in
the original submission.  It has been added to the Lending Library.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: 1987 Dec 12   23:54 EST
From: Bob Babcock <PEPRBV%CFAAMP.BITNET@TALCOTT.HARVARD.EDU>
Subject: WSSI322 File Indexing Software

Now available via standard anonymous FTP from SIMTEL20

Filename            Type     Bytes     CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.CATALOG>
WSSI322A.ARC.1            BINARY    113235  9D2BH
WSSI322B.ARC.1            BINARY    106446  B9BFH

Short Description:

WSSINDEX version 3.22 is a disk cataloging package for MS/PC-DOS 2.0 or
higher.  Features include 10-12,000 file capacity, fast in core searching
and sorting, multiple sort keys and selection options, ability to assign
comments and categories to files, subdirectories and disks, listing of
duplicate or unique files, and selection of information to include in prin-
touts.   ANSI.SYS or equivalent is required, but a high level of  IBM-PC
compatibility is not.  An auxiliary program prints disk labels and disk
covers from the database.  This program is shareware, so a donation by
satisfied users is being requested from the author.

    One minor bug in this version: the documentation says that Alt-F1
toggles between help screens, but the correct key is Shift-F1.

------------------------------

Date: 18 November 1987 1356-PST (Wednesday)
From: germar@nprdc.arpa (Marcelo R. Germar)
Subject: Printer Redirection

    I redirect lpt1 to com1 using the following lines in a bat file.

echo off
mode com1:9600,N,8,1,P
mode lpt1:=com1
echo HPLaserjet Printer is installed

    Is there a way to put the state of lpt1 back to where it was before
this redirection such that lpt1 is no longer redirected to com1?

Thanks,
Marcelo

[Yes, there is a way to cancel the re-direction.  use the following line in
your batch file:

mode lpt1:80,6

This cancels the redirection, informs DOS that the printer is 80 characters
wide and normal line spacing is 6 lines per inch.  Modify as necessary to
suit your application.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: 25 Nov 87 15:06:46 GMT
From: cmaag%csd4.milw.wisc.edu@csd1.milw.wisc.edu (Christopher N Maag)
Subject: MSC 4.0 to MSC 5.0 conversion experiences

In article <312@apex.UUCP> gary@apex.UUCP (Gary Wisniewski) writes:
>[...]
>Strange happenings:
>
>    I got an internal compiler [error] from "emit.c" when it hit the line:
>
>                qtraverse[qmac[qx]++];

I've also gotten an "internal compiler error" with a similar (although a
little more complicated) expression:

               /* add the new packet to the input queue */
               imp_list[i].in_queue[imp_list[i].in_q_ptr++]=wrk_packet;

    I was running QuickC at the time.  Needless to say, this runs fine un-
der MSC v. 4.0, Mark William's C, and Berkeley UNIX C.  When I was trying
to isolate the problem so I could submit it to Microsoft I cut the program
from about 500 lines down to 50, and, you guessed it, the problem went
away.

Has anyone brought this problem to Microsoft's attention yet?

Chris.
   From: cmaag@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
 bitnet: cmaag%csd4.milw.wisc.edu@wiscvm.bitnet
{seismo|nike|ucbvax|harvard|rutgers!ihnp4}!uwvax!uwmcsd1!uwmcsd4!cmaag

------------------------------

Date:     Thu, 17 Dec 87 16:49:45 EST
From:     Kenneth Van Camp (US Army FSAC) <kvancamp@ARDEC.ARPA>
Subject:  SURFMODL 1.31 Release

        SURFMODL version 1.31 (public domain surface/solids modeler written
in Turbo Pascal) is now available from SIMTEL-20 and on diskette.  The
major enhancements over version 1.2 are:

-- All known bugs have been fixed.
-- A new graphical preprocessor, REVOLUTION, for the automatic generation
of objects of revolution.
-- A compile-time option to quadruple the maximum number of nodes and sur-
faces by using heap memory for storage.
-- SURFMODL now runs on the QuadEGA and VEGA (not to be confused with VGA)
graphics adapters (as well as the previously-supported devices, which in-
clude the CGA, EGA, Hercules, Heath/Zenith HZ-100, Sanyo MBC-55x, AT&T 6300
and IBM 3270).
-- A "macro"-like capability added to the preprocessor.

The three files to get from SIMTEL-20 are:

Filename                        Type     Bytes   CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.SURFMODL>
SURF1311.ARC.2                  BINARY  137478  CB58H
SURF1312.ARC.2                  BINARY  160854  C3A6H
SURF1313.ARC.2                  BINARY  258461  34ECH

These files contain all source files and executables, as well as sample
data files and documentation.

        Alternatively, Bitnet users may get these files from the Info-IBMPC
distribution maintained at CCUC@UMCVMB.BITNET by sending a request for the
three files SURF1311.ARC, SURF1312.ARC, and SURF1313.ARC.

        Version 1.31 is also available on diskette, for those of you who
have trouble downloading electronically.  For $11.50 (in the U.S.) or
$15.50 (foreign), you can order all three of the SURFMODL release disks
from:
        MicroCom Systems
        P.O. Box 51657
        Palo Alto, CA  94303
Ask for diskettes GRAPHICS-2a, b and c.

                  --Ken Van Camp <kvancamp@ARDEC.ARPA>

P.S.- If you already have version 1.3, you don't need version 1.31 unless
you have a Hercules graphics adapter.  The only difference between the two
versions is a correction to the Hercules routines.

------------------------------

Date: 13 Nov 87 07:30:43 GMT
From: <munnari!ausmelb.austec.oz.au!aob@uunet.UU.NET> (Andrew Bulka)
Subject: Cannot Run Microsoft C within Microsoft Windows

    I want to run Microsoft C version 4.0 in Microsoft Windows 1.01.
Microsoft does not supply .PIF files for their C compiler, which may be a
hint in itself that it can't be done.

    Has anyone found the correct PIF parameters?  I invariably get: Command
line fatal error 19: could not execute 'C2.EXE'.

Andy Bulka,                ----=----  ACSnet: aob@ausmelb.oz
Austec International Ltd,  ---===---  UUCP: ...!munnari!ausmelb.oz!aob
344 St Kilda Rd,           --== ==--  ARPA: aob%ausmelb.oz.au
Melbourne 3004 AUSTRALIA   -=== ===-  Phone: +61 3 699 4511

------------------------------

Date: 16 Nov 87 14:47:55 GMT
From: emigh%ncsugn.ncsu.edu%mcnc.mcnc.org@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Ted H. Emigh)
Subject: t3 Word Processor

 From:     <VANLENT%HWALHW5.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>

>    We have heard about a wonderful word-processing package called T3.  It
>is a product of TCI Software Research Inc. located in New Mexico.  We made
>some inquiries here in Duckland.  We have been informed that the price is
>about 2000 florins (=900$), and that we had to buy every printer driver,
>for about f450.  Is this universally the case?  We asked some people in
>England and they received all the drivers without paying any extra money.
>So we started to wonder.

We have used T3 here for about a year.  It is a good mathematical word
processor, but somewhat expensive.  The thing that sold us (a Genetics
Dept) is that it will accept chemical equations/forms/etc.  Here, we get
the first set of printers free (non laser printers) and have to pay for any
extra printer drivers.

The Statistics Dept. just settled on  exp  as the Departmental word proces-
sor.  I don't know much about it, except that it is about an order of mag-
nitude cheaper.

--
Ted H. Emigh, Dept. Genetics and Statistics, NCSU, Raleigh, NC
uucp:   mcnc!ncsuvx!ncsugn!emigh        internet:  emigh%ncsugn.ncsu.edu

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 17 Nov 87 09:34 CST
From:     <MADS%UNO.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:  Writing DOS Drivers Information Source

    The Micro Cornucopia, p.o. box 223, Bend, Oregon  97709 (503) 382-5060
had an article on that in issue 32 pages 60-64. The article was written by
Don Fletcher, Columbia, MO., so maybe he is at UM. He shows how to write a
printer driver but I haven't tried it. If someone is interested in working
with me to write one, let me know.  And issue 33, pages 6-11 contains some
more info. Micro Cornucopia has a bulletin board (503) 382-7643 for techni-
cal questions.

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 17 Nov 87 09:34 CST
From:     <MADS%UNO.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:  Zenith 148 Multi-Function Board Capabilities

     I have been trying to use a multi-function board in a zenith Z-148.
Tried three different ones.  Either get parity error in the LIMS compatible
expanded memory or the extra ports won't work.  I upgraded to the latest
bios rom to see if that would work.  What I want is a board that works and
does the following: 1 or 2 meg expanded memory LIMS compatible, serial
port, parallel port.  Would like software for disk cache, print spooling,
virtual disks.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Dec 87 13:54:39 est
From: Steve Creps <creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu>
Subject: NetHack executables

   I've just uploaded NetHack 2.2 executables to simtel20.  Here is the
info:

Filename                        Type     Bytes   CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.GAMES>
NETHAC22.ARC.1                  BINARY  303354  E478H

-       -       -       -       -       -       -       -       -

Steve Creps on the VAX 8650 running Ultrix 2.0-1 at Indiana University.
        creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu

"F-14 Tomcat! There IS no substitute."

------------------------------

Date:      14 Dec 87 12:00 EST
From:      V2002A%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject:   Interpreting Mark-Sense Forms

     I have a user who is interested in using the MAC for reading mark
sense forms with a DEST page scanner.  Since no hardware has been purchased
yet, we would also like to look at a PC package that would do the same.
Our DEST is shared between a MAC-SE and a Zenith 248 and the PC compatible
route would probably be cheaper.  Has anyone in netland seen software that
lets you interpret mark sense forms?

     Thanks in advance!

     Andy Wing  V2002A%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

------------------------------

Date: 25 Nov 87 03:52:52 GMT
From: ecsvax.uucp!mvolo@mcnc.org (Michael R. Volow)
Subject: CGA game software and EGA boards

    In spite of the numerous reviews of EGA and EGA+ boards in the last
year and a half, I am uncertain which EGA boards run self-booting CGA game
software.  I am interested in upgrading from my CGA clone board
(Plantronics Colorplus; IBM-PC) to an EGA board.  But my son has many games
that he would still like to run.  Which EGA board have the most trouble-free
CGA emulation as far as games?  Thanks in advance.  Will summarize to net
as usual if sufficient replies are received.

--Mike Volow, Psychiatry, Durham Veterans Administration Medical Center
  Durham, NC, 27712             919 383 3568
  mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP

------------------------------

Date:     Sat, 21 Nov 87 12:41 EST
From:     <B_BADGER%UNHH.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject:  Minix

Hi,

    I am a computer science major and I am taking a course next semester
on operating systems.  The course uses Minix and I would like to purchase
a version to use at home on my PC's Limited 286-8 AT compatible.  Does
anyone know if the AT version of Minix will work on my machine?  I have
heard that there might be some compatibility problems.

Many Thanks,

Benjamin Badger
University of New Hampshire
Durham, NH
Bitnet: B_BADGER@UNHH

------------------------------

Date:         Thu, 17 Dec 87 18:18:21 EST
From:         Alex Gutman <RAAQC633@CUNYVM>
Subject:      FTPing Files from Simtel20

    To my dismay I have found that when I download a file from my A disk on
the Cuny Vm mainframe with Kermit and try to un-arc a binary file, Pkxarc
tells me that so&so is not an archive and that it can't create files from
the so-called archive.  This seems to occur only with Binary files.  Text
files work fine.  I'd love to take advantage of all the great software on
simtel20 but I don't know what to do.  What do the numbers after the exten-
sion of a file on simtel20 mean?

[version number, size in bytes, byte size, date written to disk]

                      Merry Christmas and Happy Hannuka to all

                                     Alex Gutman(Compuserve:71420,1516)

[Issue 74 described some programs available from SIMTEL20 in the
PD1:<misc.vaxvms> directory that should simplify transfer of files to/from
VM systems and SIMTEL20 ...  gph]

------------------------------

Date:         Fri, 18 Dec 87 10:44:38 EST
From:         "Thomas Lapp (The Ohio State University)" <TS5864@OHSTVMB>
Subject:      UUCP for IBMs

    I was wondering if any of you have any experience with UUPC a UUCP
program for the PC to allow a PC to act as a UUCP node?  I am interested in
finding out what is involved and would like any help I can get.  Thanks.

-tom

        Thomas Lapp                            |"Those who cannot do,
 UUCP: Not quite sure yet                      |    teach;
 BITNET: TS5864@OHSTVMB                        | Those who cannot write,
 ARPA:   TS5864%OHSTVMB.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU |    write manuals"
 INTERNET: LAPPT@ee-eagle.ohio-state.edu       |        - Sally Hundley

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1987  13:00:37 EDT
From: FAC0395%UOFT01.BITNET@jade.berkeley.edu    (J. Feustle)
Subject: Where is FIDO

    Would someone please tell me where I can get an up-to-date version of
FIDO.  The one that I have is incomplete.  Thanks.

J. Feustle
BITNET: FAC0395@UOFT01

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 17 Nov 87 17:51 N
From:     <DRAYER%HGRRUG5.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:  Supercalc4 1.10 and Paradise EGA.

Hello everyone,
   I'll try to keep this long story short here:

Hardware: AT clone (Dutch make: Tulip) with:
  80287 coprocessor; Hard disk; 1.2 Floppy drive; Phillips monitor
    CM8something or other, don't have it here. It's like the NEC multisync;
  Graphics card called a Multi Format Video Controller by the supplier.
     I used debug and found the name Paradise, so it's actually a Paradise
     card.
Software: MS-DOS 3.2; No resident software; Supercalc4;

    The hardware uses a 10Mhz clock. I've used all kinds of software
without any problems on it, some using the EGA mode. Reflex, R:base
Graphics and Codeview (no, I haven't had any problems with Codeview).
Also, Supercalc4 version 1.0 works fine.

    Supercalc4 version 1.1 doesn't function as it should: the program
reports a Hercules card instead of EGA, and when trying to access a
"graphical" screen, the computer (predictably) lock up. Even if I change
the screen type to IBM on the appropriate Supercalc menu, save this setting
with /Global,Keep etc. in a .CFG file and restart Supercalc, the program
still reports a Hercules card.

    I have an idea I've got to get rid of either Supercalc, or the card...
Does anyone have a better solution?

Nick Drayer jr (DRAYER@HGRRUG5.BITNET)

------------------------------

Date: 19 Nov 87 07:43:24 GMT
From: eris!chapman@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Brent Chapman)
Subject: Information on Lotus worksheet (.WKS) file format?

I'm working on an application (running under BSD UNIX, if it matters)
which, for various reasons, I want to be able to generate Lotus worksheet
files (preferably the old ".WKS" format) to be downloaded to a PC.

Can someone provide me with or direct me to a specification of the format
of these files?

Thanks!

-Brent
--
Brent Chapman
Senior Programmer/Analyst

[Look in the Info-IBMPC Lending Library for the file LOTUS123.FILE-FORMAT.
This has been forwarded separately.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: 12 Nov 1987 11:30-EST
From: MHARRIS@G.BBN.COM
Subject: MicroSoft C V4.0 Allocation Problem

    Has anyone found out why Microsoft C 4.0 calloc was blowing up?  I am
running into the same problem, with some code I KNOW isn't stepping on it-
self.  A swift reply would be pathetically appreciated...

-- Michael Harris     MHarris@G.BBN.COM     (617)873-3794

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Nov 87 07:53:39 EST
From: 44-28csh@braggvax.arpa
Subject: Terminal Settings for my Clone running Unix

    I cannot seem to get the IBM Clone I'm running (A Zenith 248AT) to cor-
rectly talk with the Unix Sys at BRAGGVAX.ARPA.  The terminal I have emu-
lates a VT100 and needs the 'term = cit101' for the terminal setting.   BUT
when I log in off the Zenith, I can't get the proper 'term' command set.

    Can anyone offer advice on how to configure Unix?

  Ciao,   Thanks
Michael  (SGT Guido)

------------------------------

Date: 16 Dec 87 09:52:00 EDT
From: "V70NL::S_DANIELS" <s_daniels%v70nl.decnet@nusc.arpa>
Subject: Floating Bar Chart Software Query

    I am looking for a graphics package that will do FLOATING BAR charts.
Right now, I am stuck with GRAFTALK from Redding Software, as it is the
only package I have been able to find that does this type.  GT has a macro
language, but is abysmally slow at executing commands and making plots, and
print quality (dot matrix) is poor. Also, it does not support an EGA.  For
your information, a "Floating Bar" graph has bars that don't necessarily
start at 0, see below.  However, this type of presentation is quite common
for the work we do. See below for an example.

              EXAMPLE: FLOATING BAR CHART

    |           +
  30|           +       +
    |   +               +
  20|   +       +       +
    |   +       +   +
  10|   +   +       +
    |       +
   0 -------+---------------
        1   2   3   4   5

    Thus, the Floating Bar type could show the range of results: for ex-
ample, at x=3, the values were at 2 ranges: y=15 to 20; and y=30 to 35.

    If anyone has any experience or knwos of any other packages that will
do this, I'd appreciate hearing from you. I will summarize for the Net any
siginificant responses I get.

Thanks much for your help, Scott Daniels.

------------------------------

Date:  Tue, 22 Dec 1987 12:50 EST
Subject: Reading Directory Entries and Volume Labels from Turbo Pascal

   Can anybody provide me with information on how to get directory entries
directly off a disk using the 'msdos' statement in turbo pascal?  Also, I
would appreciate greatly if someone could provide me with information on
how to get the volume label of a disk using the same function.

------------------------------

Date:     Wed, 16 Dec 87  15:34:29 AST
From:     DUHE023%duhe023.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject:  How to do Snow-free Screen Memory Access

     Can anyone tell me how to determine (in Turbo Pascal):

1) what kind of display adaptor is in the machine?

2) where to find the CGA adaptor's status bit that indicates whether a ver-
tical retrace is in progress so that screen memory can be accessed by the
program without causing snow. Any advice about achieving snow-free screen
memory access would be appreciated.

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------