[comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest] Info-IBM Digest V6 #76

hicks@WALKER-EMH.ARPA (Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS) (01/02/88)

Last one for 1987.  Have a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Info-IBMPC Digest       Thur, 31 December 1987    Volume 6 : Issue 76

This Week's Editor: Gregory Hicks -- Chinhae Korea <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>

Today's Topics:
                       Info-IBMPC Current Addresses
                           Software Repositories
               3-d surface plotting program - public domain
                   Intel Hex Format Information (2 msgs)
          Technical Word Processors Re-visited - LOTUS Manuscript
              How to tell Time on IBM-PC Multi-Function Cards
                   FORTRAN Code for 3d Surface Plotting
                   Remote Bulletin Board System (2 msgs)
                   Problems with a Hard Disk and a Clone
                       Extending DOS Memory to 704k
Today's Queries:
                  Plain Vanilla DOS Modem Program Wanted
                            FTP and Micro Files
                   Problems with DOS Timestamping Files
                      COPYing Large Files to Floppies
                Information Requested on Open File Handles
               Network Software Information Request (2 msgs)

      INFO-IBMPC BBS Phone Numbers: (213)827-2635 (213)827-2515

Date: 29 Dec 87 13:43:28 EST (Tuesday)
From: marty <Leisner.Henr@Xerox.COM>
Subject: Info-IBMPC Current Addresses

    What is the address for info requests?  When I bugged answer to your
digest distribution, I got your account.

[Messages to the list should be addressed to <Info-IBMPC@Walker-EMH.arpa>.
All requests to be added to or deleted from the list, problems, etc should
be sent to <Info-IBMPC-REQUEST@Walker-EMH.arpa>.  Of course, you can always
use the ANSWER (or reply) function of your message software and send it
to <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>...

    In the near future, I'll get out a cross reference listing (read
PROGRAM-LIBRARY.LIST) showing where the Info-IBMPC Lending Library files
are stored at SIMTEL20.ARPA... gph]

------------------------------

Date:     Wed, 23 Dec 87 13:02 O
From:     <MAKELA_O%FINJYU.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject:  Software Repositories

    Do you know of any such service for BitNet-only users interested in
IBM-PC stuff?

Thanks, and Merry X-mas,
Otto J. Makela, U of Jyvaskyla
Mail: Kauppakatu 1 B 18, SF-40100 Jyvaskyla, Finland

[A message was sent to all BITNET Subscribers providing information on the
Info-IBMPC Software Repository at BITNIC.  If you didn't receive it, please
let me know and I'll be glad to re-send.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Dec 87 15:03:16 PST
From: sheresh@marlin.nosc.mil (Richard D. Sheresh)
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@braggvax.arpa>
Subject: 3-d Surface Plotting Program - Public Domain

    [The original query is in Info-IBMPC Digest V6 #72.]

    Believe the program, 3DSURFAC.ARC, on Simtel20 (and other RBBS).  I
tried it but I could not understand it - too technical.  But the surface
plots looked like what you are asking about.  [At SIMTEL20, it is in the
directory <msdos.plot>].

    It's kinda big (50+Kb), so I hope Pete can reach it via FTP. [David K.]

Dick Sheresh

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Dec 87 15:04:05 EST
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@braggvax.arpa>
Subject: Intel Hex Format Information

    I'd suggest FORMAT83 .. forget where I snarfed it from, but I have
source code and a short doc, and shall mail to John Allred forthwith.  Con-
verts binary to Intel hex, redirectable so you should be able to direct to
file, PROM burner, COMM port, whatever.

David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@braggvax.ARPA

[How about forwarding a copy to be included in the Info-IBMPC Lending
Library?  It's still alive...  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Dec 87 12:20:15 -0500 (at ncrlnk.Dayton.NCR.COM)
From: fiddler:dan%ncr-sd@ivory.sandiego.ncr.com
Subject:  Intel Hex Format

In Info-IBMPC V6 #72, John Allred <jallred@vax.bbn.com> requested informa-
tion on The Intel Hex Format.  The editor provided some information, BUT...

    The description you provided is missing the colon and type fields and
end record:

>An ASCII TEXT file with the format:
>AAAA BB DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDSS<cr-lf>

It should have looked like this:
:BBAAAATTDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDSS<cr-lf>

>where AAAA is the initial load address for the line;
>      BB is a byte count of the following BB bytes;
       TT is the record type.
>      SS is a 'checksum' of the BB data bytes calculated by adding
>         all the data bytes and ignoring signs.  The checksum should
>         be zero.  Address was not included in the check-sum.

Intel Hex object format is ASCII character based.  It contains no unprint-
able or control characters.  The record format is line oriented, as
follows:

Character
Length     Contents
------     --------
1     A colon ":" for the record mark.

2     (BB) Number of data bytes (n) for type 00.  0 for type 01, and 2 for
      types 02 and 03.

4     (AAAA) Load word address (zeros for types 01, 02, 03).

2     (TT) Record type (00 = data, 01 = end, 02 = extended address record,
      03 = start address record).

2*n   (DD) Data bytes (total of n bytes) for type 00.  Not present for type
      01.  (Extended address base / 8) for type 02.  Start Address (Code
      Segment + Instruction Pointer) for type 03.

2     (SS) Checksum.  This is the 2's complement of all hex bytes,
      including the byte count, load word address, and record type.  The
      colon is not included.

For example,

:1A0000005D0000646E0650335011A12215F2AE115310B4044A31A1125100AA  [data]
:00000001FF                                                      [end-rec]

Another example (some lines are split to fit on a line):

:200000005D040000A14250426B27DEB1DEA1AC24514550246B [data]
226C44AE216B2A50546B28B8
:200010005D050200AC52DE826B23DE816B226C38A1226B63A1 [more data]
556B626C335D025555AC2226
:20002000A12551245025AE216B23AE216B226C286E03DEB06B [still more data]
226C246E04A122DEB26C2056
:200030006B265D0200372D02304430356C19203250256B226C [yet more data]
15AC22505550526B255D0223
:200040000043804700446C0C204550256B298042004FAE6180 [again, more data]
42004E6C036C086D01805714
:1400500000518047005851005100804700585100E00000003A [last data record]
:00000001FF                                         [end-record]

The description is under "Hexadecimal Object File Format",
8086 Family Utilities User's Guide (Intel # 9800639-04 E,
Intel Corp., 3065 Bowers Ave., Santa Clara, CA 95051).

[Thank you.  I apologize for my faulty memory.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Thu 24 Dec 87 08:43:01-EST
From: Mary Lou Frey <mlfrey@G.BBN.COM>
Subject: Technical Word Processors Re-visited - LOTUS Manuscript

    Another technical word-processor to consider is Lotus Manuscript.  In
November I had an opportunity to examine both it and TeX.  The TeX format-
ting was absolutely beautiful and since it works with ASCII files , the
guts of the report at least is very transportable.  However, writing a memo
with it was an awful lot like writing a program: do your best coding, run
it through the 'compiler' (TeX), figure out the probable causes of all
those errors, run it through TeX again, and iterate until it is satisfac-
tory.  I imagine once you go through this several times and learn the for-
matting language well, it is second nature and the number of iterations go
down.  It also takes up on the order of 6 Meg on the hard disk.  It IS
beautiful though and supported on many mainframes too.

    On the other hand Manuscript is not nearly so 'tweakable' but I could
produce a memo with lots of equations in it in a very reasonable amount of
time and minimal frustration.  It's printer driver support is somewhat
primitive in that it only uses the fonts available with the machine.
Therefore the best output is produced with the PostScript driver since that
has a built in Greek font and its other fonts are scaleable (for ViewGraphs
with equations!).  The word processing aspect is very well done with only a
few frustrations (no macro capabilities, 4 keystrokes to get super or sub
script) with a built in out-liner spell checker, table of contents, index,
and other support page generators. It also takes up only about 1.5 Meg.  I
ended up buying it.

    If you draw a lot as you write or use chemical equations, another word
processor to try is 'ChemText' from Molecular Design Limited 2132 Farallon
Drive San Leandro Cal 94577.  It requires a mouse but is a very decent word
processor.  It has been some time since I tried it, but I remember being very
impressed.  Unfortunately, I am more interested in equations rather than
pictures and you have to "draw" equations in this package.  Very awkward.
It has a molecular design/drawing feature that might appeal to you chemical
types, however.

mary lou frey

------------------------------

Date:     Sat, 26 Dec 87 22:55 PST
From:     Ya'akov Nachum Miles <MULTI%TRIUMFCL.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject:  How to tell Time on IBM-PC "Multi-Function" Cards

The IBM-PC/xt multi i/o cards clock time as two BCD digits per i/o port

    x41h=(sec/100) x42h=sec x43h=min x44h=hour x46h=day x47h=month

The value "x" is 2 or 3, ie the clock ports span 240h-247h or 340h-347h.  I
do not know what ports x40h or x45h do.

                                        Ya'akov Nachum Miles
                                        MULTI@TRIUMFcl.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Dec 87 13:50:53 EST
From: Larry Granroth 319/335-1960 <"IOWASP::GRANROTH"@nssdca.GSFC.NASA.GOV>
Subject: FORTRAN Code for 3d Surface Plotting

    Info-IBMPC Digest Volume 6, Issue 72, contained a request from
<SIMPSON_P%MERCURY.ceo.dg.com@adam.dg.com> for a public domain 3-D plotting
program.  I wrote a quick-and-dirty program which uses Tektronix PLOT10/TCS
calls and ran on a VAX several years ago.  The algorithm effectively plots
"slices" through a surface, so it isn't perfect, but it is faster than more
sophisticated "web" algorithms.  It should be fairly easy to convert to any
FORTRAN system and substitute different plot drivers, so if anyone is in-
terested, here is the source code:

[3D-PLOT.FOR has been added to the Info-IBMPC Lending Library.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: 29 Dec 87 08:07 EST
From: harvey@nems.ARPA (Harvey)
to: BRUCEH%UTKVX3.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU ...
Subject: Remote Bulletin Board System

     We are currently using a program called Remote Bulletin Board System,
which was written with the help of many from the Capital PC Users Group.
They ask that a $100 donation be given to the Users Group, but other than
that the program is in the public domain.

     The program allows up to 16 nodes.  We currently have 2 nodes operat-
ing simultaneously.  It has electronic mail, conferencing and file upload
and download capabilities.  It also has ANSI graphics capabilities.

     Copies of RBBS are available from SIMTEL20.

                         Betty Harvey  <harvey@nems.arpa>
                         David Taylor Research Center
                         (301)227-4901

     RBBS -->  227-1042
               227-3428

------------------------------

Date: 29 Dec 87 20:28:44 GMT
From: NOAO!mcdsun!nud!xroads!dparker@hao.ucar.edu (David M. Parker)
Subject: BBS for IBM or clone using MSDOS

>  I need a bulletin board system to run on MSDOS and a PC or clone.
>Preferably it would be public domain....

    The best BBS depends upon the application, of course, but I can highly
recommend the OPUS CBCS (Computer Based Conversation System).  It is fast,
well managed, has color graphics, supports the fastest and most reliable
transfer protocols along with the old standbys, and has a multitude of
people out there writing utilities for it.

You can find it on Corwin's Keep in Phoenix at 602-894-1470, 8N1, 2400,
1200, 300.  Or, check around in your local area for an OPUS system.  OPUS
cannot be sold; it must be passed on for free.  And you can access
Echomail, an amateur mail system.

(602) 992-5007 300|1200 Baud 24 hrs/day

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Dec 87 09:56:12 +0200
From: Juha Kuusama <jku%kolvi.hut.fi%FINGATE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Problems with a Hard Disk and a Clone

    I have exactly the same configuration: cheap 4.77/8 MHz clone, Seagate
238 and a WD controller. Problems: when I bought the drive, it behaved as
yours did: worked at 8 MHz for only a while, then froze.  This was in May.
In August, my PC wouldn't even boot at 8 MHz.  Last week, I found out that
my PC wouldn't work at 8 MHz even with the hard disk disconnected!  Gulp!!
The company that sold the disk to me had my PC in the shop for a while for
examination and says that the problem is in my PC.  I have no reason to
argue about that, but still I wonder...

Juha Kuusama, jku@kolvi.UUCP (...!mcvax!tut!kolvi!jku )

------------------------------

Date: Wed 30 Dec 87 15:44:28-PST
From: JOHN R. THOMPSON <WOOLFORD.THOMPSON@BIONET-20.ARPA>
Subject: Extending DOS Memory to 704k

>From: Richard Gillmann <GILLMANN@C.ISI.EDU>
>Subject: Extending DOS Memory to 704K
>
>    I know it's possible to extend DOS memory from 640K to 704K, but I
>don't know how it's done.  Does anyone know the details of how to do this?

I use a public domain utility called EEMRAM written by Chris Dunford and
available in the IBMSW area of Compuserve.  EEMRAM needs Extended EMS
memory  to work.  Run this utility from your autoexec file and it allows
DOS to use portions of memory set aside for video (but not being used).
The increase in the amount of memory available to DOS depends on the type
of display you have installed.  I use the utility with a hercules
monochrome on an XT and get 704K available to DOS.  EEMRAM is not a TSR.

John R. Thompson     <woolford.thompson@bionet-20.arpa>

------------------------------

Date: 24 Dec 87 11:27 PST
From: Ghenis.pasa@Xerox.COM
Subject: Plain Vanilla DOS Modem Program Wanted

Fellow Info-IBMPC readers,

    Can anyone point out a public domain modem program that will run on a
plain-vanilla DOS machine, ie. the operating system is MS-DOS 2.11 but it
is NOT IBM-compatible (specifically the Grid Compass-II).  I have already
tried Pibterm, Procomm and Qmodem without success.

-- Pablo Ghenis (Ghenis.Pasa@Xerox.Com)

------------------------------

Date: 21 Dec 87 23:13:40 GMT
From: kddlab!ndsuvax!CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU!WENCU@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: FTP and Micro Files

Disclaimer: Author bears full responsibility for contents of this article

    We here at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU have recently been able to use the tcp/ip
suite through the vm/tcp machine.  I have used TELNET and have been
successful.  Our problem comes when FTP is used to transfer pc or macintosh
executable programs in a binary or packed format.

    I get garbage.  Is there a problem with the transfer method?  There are
3 'TYPE' options: Ascii, Binary, Image.  Which do we use?  [See discussion
on FTPing files from SIMTEL20 in the Info-IBMPC Digest V6 #73.  This infor-
mation has been forwarded separately.  gph]

    Is the problem because the files are being sent through the vm
mainframe and are being translated before getting to the micro?

    Is anyone also having this problem and found a work around solution?
As a lot of people are beginning to use ftp this problem is coming up more
frequently at our site. The questions fall on us.

Any help will be appreciated

Wendell P. Brown a.k.a. "Splash"
Senior Technician at
CUNY University Computer Center
Microcomputer Resource Laboratory

[See discussion by Frank Wancho <wancho@simtel20.arpa> in Issue 72 on how
to FTP properly.  Basically, use 'TYPE L 8' and let the machines sort out the
differences.  'TYPE L 32' MAY work if your machine and the TOPS-20 machine
store bytes in the same manner.  gph]
------------------------------

Date: Sun 27 Dec 87 15:57:01-EST
From: "Wes Williams" <GZT.EWW%OZ.AI.MIT.EDU@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Problems with DOS Timestamping Files

Two clocks in an IBM ?????

    We are having some difficulties with 2 IBM PC's and a Sperry com-
patible.  The IBMs's are an old 1984 vintage XT and a 2 year old AT.  When
the AT STOPS timestamping files, the machine has a tendency to wipe out
files and/or change file sizes.  The only way we have found to correct the
problem is to run the system setup and reset the clock.

    EXAMPLE: The AT is running a BBS 24 hours a day and is never shut down.
After 3 - 6 weeks, the DOS clock is over a minute slow.  When this happens
the system leaves the time off of the timestamp on all files that are up-
dated.  If we do not reset the system clock using the setup program the
next day, the file sizes begin to change, AND they are not supposed to.

    The XT is dedicated to a Retail Point of Sales System running 2 slaves.
This machine is also never shut down.  Slaves are shut down at the end of
Business, only on Sundays when the store is closed for a period of 24 hours
the date is not correct.  The computed results of files from the figures on
the slaves to the XT are scrambled.

    The Sperry hassle seems to develop (maybe) when the BATTERY powered
clock is out of real time sync with the actual time. This is by some
measurement not yet fully determined.

    QUESTION: ARE there 2 (TWO) clock addresses inside the IBM and com-
patibles.  Possibility: 1 memory address that reads the 110 volt time AND 1
memory address that reads the battery address?  The comparison of these two
theoretical points seems to produce the errors when and only when they are
out of sync by more than 1 (ONE) minute. This measurement is under discus-
sion as it may also be depending on the date function when the day changes
and the time sync is less than a minute.

Would be forever thankful for ALL replies. (AND DISCUSSION)

------------------------------

Date:         Tue, 29 Dec 87 10:32:05 CST
From:         "J. Philip Miller" <C90562JM%WUVMD.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject:      COPYing Large Files to Floppies

    I am wondering how other users handle the copying of large files (over
a floppy's worth).  We frequently need to make copies of such files for
distribution to other users.  The standard response is to use DOS's backup
or restore, but this continually gets us in trouble because of the lack of
backward compatibility (e.g. backup created on 3.3 cannot be read on a 3.0
system) and because some of the MS-DOS OEM versions do not contain the com-
mands.  Another problem with this is that it is not possible to make floppy
to floppy copies, particularly when changing media types (e.g. 360k to
720k.)

    Now I know about ARC and other tricks to avoid this problem as much as
possible, but some files are just large!

    I know that some commercial backup software will do some (or all) of
this but is not attractive if each recipient needs to purchase some
software to read the file.  Any ideas?

C90562JM@WUVMD.BITNET ................ J. Philip  Miller -- (314) 362-3617
..................................... Division of Biostatistics - Box 8067
Room 1108B ...................... Washington  University School of Medicine
706 S. Euclid .................................. St. Louis, Missouri 63110

------------------------------

Date: 29 Dec 87 13:43:28 EST (Tuesday)
From: marty <Leisner.Henr@Xerox.COM>
Subject: Information Requested on Open File Handles

    Does anyone have source code for an implementation of fstat(2) using
any and all DOS secret magic functions?

   A number of compilers have an fstat() -- Aztec doesn't.  Anyone have any
ideas how to implement it?

marty
ARPA:   leisner.henr@xerox.com
GV:  leisner.henr
NS:  martin leisner:henr801c:xerox

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Dec 87 13:28:05 EST
From: actnyc!srk@uunet.UU.NET (Shalom Krischer)
Subject: Novell Netware Information Request

    Does anyone out there know anything about the Novell Netware product?
A friend is considering it to set up a LAN of 3 IBM-AT's, and asked if I
could find out about it for him.  Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date:     Wed, 30 Dec 87 11:53 CST
From:     Ken Selvia 409-294-1853 <UCS_KAS%SHSU.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject:  3COM Networks Information Requested

Hello *.*

I have been setting up a 3COM network for the past week.  Has anyone out
there had any experience configuring one of these beasts?  The system con-
sists of:

a) 1 80286 8MZ PC-AT Clone as the file server with:
   30 MB hard drive, 1.2 MB floppy, 2 MB expanded memory card, Etherlink+
   card DOS 3.3

b) 3 3Stations

c) The network software consists of:
   3File/Print, 3Route, 3Remote, 3Mail, Turboshare/CIOSYS, 3Start, 3Share,
   and 3Name

If any or all of this makes sense to you then you might be able to help.
    My problems are:

    Is there any way to utilize expanded memory on the file server in order
to allow a concurrent user to execute 3+ commands?  After the network is
loaded there is only about 60K left for the concurrent user. (In fact, if I
set the buffer parameters etc. for better performance there is not even
enough memory left to allow a concurrent user to login). This is not enough
to run 3Start.  This leads to the problem of how to create a STARTVOLUME
for the 3Stations to boot from since they have no disks.  Perhaps there is
a minimum configuration which 3Start will run with? I did manage to get a
copy of a STARTVOLUME from another site, but it was created with DOS 3.1.
Now the 3Stations can boot but in order to create/copy new startvolumes,
3Start requires either; DOS 3.2 or above, or a floppy disk drive on the
workstation.

    Is there any way to address the 1.2 MB floppy of the server from a
workstation? I need to load/install software but again, the server does not
have enough usable memory after the network is running.

    What is the significance of the REQUIRED names IBMBIO.COM and
IBMDOS.COM on a startvolume? The system file names on the server are IO.SYS
and MSDOS.SYS (I think). Are these interchangeable?  Can I copy and rename
the servers system files to the names 3Start expects?

    The manuals say there is no way for a user to link to the root direc-
tory of the server. Why is this and is there any way around it? If I want
to change the config.sys or autoexec.bat of the server I have to boot it
standalone.

    I have been told that I should have at least one workstation with a
floppy. This makes me wonder what use the 3Stations are if it's not pos-
sible to have a network using only 3Stations as workstations.  I'd like to
hear any views or opinions anyone might have who has worked with 3Com net-
works.

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------