                           Date Display Formats
                    English Editor "ViewMan" for IBM Pc
                         HELP with CGA<==>HERCULES
                 Is HP Laserjet Softfont Format Available
                Keyboard Buffer problems with FANSI-CONSOLE
                    Latin-to-English translator wanted
                       PKARC Squash Algorithm Wanted
                        Query on accelerator cards

      INFO-IBMPC BBS Phone Numbers: (213)827-2635 (213)827-2515

Date: Sat, 16 Jan 88 14:09:18 PST
From: davidg%scam.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (David Gaertner)
Subject: Where is the Info-IBMPC Lending Library

WHERE IS THE INFO-IBMPC LENDING LIBRARY!?!

Last time you said something was there, I tried looking in simtel20.arpa,
but the file wasn't there.  If it was there, then I was looking in the
wrong directory - there are lots of them.  Could you post a reminder to
people every month or so as to how Lending-Library software can be
obtained?  And when you post that something's been added to the Library, it
would be mighty convenient of you to mention the directory the file has
been put into.

Thanks,
David Gaertner
--
     ...uunet!cory!davidg, davidg@cory.berkeley.edu
Men have it better off: they marry later & die sooner.

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 12 January 1988  08:26-MST
From: Ferd Brundick (VLD/LTTB) <fsbrn@BRL.ARPA>
Subject: Unknown SIMTEL Directory

Haah,

The latest list-of-lists update says that the info-ibmpc lending library
has been moved to simtel20.  Does it have its own directory (like CP/M,
UNIX, etc) or has it been merged into the MSDOS directories?  If it was an-
nounced in the news group a coworker and I missed it.  Thanks.

                                        dsw, fferd
                                        Fred S. Brundick
                                        USABRL, APG, MD.
                                        <fsbrn@brl.arpa>

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 12 January 1988  23:44-MST
From: "Frank J. Wancho" <WANCHO@SIMTEL20.ARPA>

Fred,

Much of the INFO-IBMPC collection was merged into the PD1:<MSDOS.*> direc-
tories as of about a year ago or so.  I believe some tracking of newly an-
nounced files was done in the intervening time.  Before C.ISI.EDU was shut
down, Billy Brackenridge made a tape of the collection and was supposed to
send it to me so that we could load it and merge any new stuff we missed.
That tape has yet to show up.  I don't believe there will be a separate
directory just for the IBMPC list, except maybe its mail archives.  We are
already somewhat duplicating the PC-BLUE volumes as thing stand now, al-
though the MSDOS collection is being maintained like the CP/M collection -
i.e., the best and current releases are being kept in an organized fashion
by general subject catagories.

--Frank

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Jan 88 16:29:41 pst
From: tweten@ames-prandtl.ARPA (Dave Tweten)
Subject: Network article in ACM Journal

From: <JORDAN@LL.ARPA>

     ... a recent issue of INFO-IBMPC Digest ... mentioned an article
     describing various computer networks (Fido, Bitnet, Ham Radio,
     etc.).  I cannot locate the article using the reference ...
     - August 87 issue of the Proceeding of the ACM.

That's because it was in the October 1986 issue of Communications of the
ACM, Volume 29, Number 10, pp. 932-971.  It just so happens that I photo-
copied it for my "How to address mail" file.

[Correct!  I have, so far, published two corrections to the original men-
tion made late last year.  That is the LAST TIME I ever try to say anything
from memory.  I'll check my references first! --gph]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jan 88 20:53:46 -0500 (EST)
From: "Johnny J. Chin" <jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Novell Netware Information Request

In my opinion and the opinion of my fellow employees, we decided that if
you are using Novell's Netware, you should either go with:

     ArcNet ("Novell's Baby")
or   Ethernet (the fastest network out)

If you use ArcNet, use Novell's boards, they are more reliable.

On the other hand, if you use Ethernet, DO NOT use Novell's Ethernet NE-
1000!  Instead use the Micom Ethernet Plus for the file server and Western
Digital's EtherCard Plus for the work stations.

Johnny J. Chin
Technical Supervisor of Micro Computer Systems
(currently attending Carnegie Mellon Univ.)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Jan 88 10:12:31 -0800
From: Richard Nelson <nelson@ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject: SNOBOL4 language and AI at SIMTEL20

SNOBOL4 is a remarkably powerful if unstructured symbolic processing and
pattern matching language.  A SNOBOL4 interpreter for MS-DOS and a report
discussing use of SNOBOL4 for artificial intelligence, with many AI-related
routines are now available via standard anonymous FTP from SIMTEL20:

Filename                        Type           Bytes      CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.SNOBOL4>
VSNOBOL4.ARC                    Binary        286049      805EH
VSNOBOL4.TXT                    ASCII           5750      296DH
AISNOBOL.ARC                    Binary        258956      AC71H
AISNOBOL.TXT                    ASCII           5984      2E23H

Short Descriptions:
                  VANILLA SNOBOL4

Vanilla SNOBOL4 provides the entire Bell Labs SNOBOL4 programming language,
except for real numbers and external functions.  The total size of the ob-
ject program and data cannot exceed 30K bytes in this entry-level version.
Included in the package is an overview of the SNOBOL4 programming language,
the Vanilla SNOBOL4 interpreter, and numerous example SNOBOL4 programs. The
file VSNOBOL4.TXT contains a more detailed description of the files con-
tained in VSNOBOL4.ARC.

AISNOBOL or AI PROGRAMMING IN SNOBOL4

AISNOBOL.ARC contains text and code from the report "Artificial Intel-
ligence Programming in SNOBOL4," by Michael G. Shafto.  Included is SNOBOL4
code for things such as augmented transition networks, word endings, seman-
tic information retrieval, and Wang's algorithm for theorem-proving.  A
more detailed description is contained in AISNOBOL.TXT.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Jan 88 09:23:17 EST
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@braggvax.arpa>
Subject: uunet Mail Query

    I received a request from a person in Sweden via uunet (an
@uunet.UU.NET return address).  Is it possible for me to respond (via email
or whatever) from an ARPAnet host?  Normal combinations of addresses are
failing to date.  Also, would my host get "billed" for these transfers and
messages? Sorry .. I've gotten pretty familiar with corresponding with
people via EMail,  but this one is a new one for me.

Thanks in advance,
David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@braggvax.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Jan 88 14:53:21 pst
From: steinmetz!unioncs!brownh@uunet.UU.NET (H. Brown)
Subject: Basic Graphics Routines for IBM AT and EGA Card Wanted

I am looking for references or code to do basic graphics (like accessing
individual pixels) on an IBM AT with an EGA card from Turbo C.  I don't
need higher-level stuff like line or circle drawing algorithms, just the
very basics.

If someone could provide me any of this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Alex Brown
uunet!steinmetz!unioncs!brownh

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Jan 88 23:07 CST
From: "REAL men still use card decks." <STEVER%sp.unisys.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Date Display Formats

I'm disatisfied with any of the date formats that the documented "country
codes"give me, when I do a DIR.  Does anyone have a code (or alternate
method) that will yield me a format of "16 Jan 88", "16 Jan 1988", "16-Jan-
88", or "16-Jan-1988".  Do the means exist of completely customizing this
exist?

David Stever, Unisys;   Eagan, Minnesota.

------------------------------

Date: 14 Jan 88  0:37 +0100
From: ALF CHRISTOPHERSEN <l_christophe%use.uio.uninett@TOR.nta.no>
Subject: English Editor "ViewMan" for IBM Pc

My former supervisor in Biochemistry has told me he has heard about a new
editor called VIEWMAN which seems to be very popular with people who pub-
lish many papers (scientific papers), at least biochemistry researchers.

Has anyone heard about this editor? If so, could you please mail me any in-
formation available, what it does, why is it better than other word
processing packages, and so on...

With regards from
Alf Christophersen
Engineer
Dep. of Nutrition Research
PO. Box 1046 Blindern
N-0316 Oslo 3 Norway

ZEB-building

Net-addresses:

L_CHRISTOPHE@USE.UIO.UNINETT  L_CHRISTOPHE@INGER.ARPA
CHRISTOP@NORUNIT.EARN

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Jan 88 16:44 EST
From: <INS_BXS%JHUVMS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: HELP with CGA<==>HERCULES

     I've seen programs at simtel20.arpa that will allow PCs with the HER-
CULES card to run programs for CGA.  I'm wondering if there is any program
that will do the oppsite.

     Thanks in advance.

Shan
ins_bxs@jhuvms.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Jan 88 08:41:05 PST
From: rmr@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (Robert Rother)
Subject: Is HP Laserjet Softfont Format Available

Does anybody know where I might find the definition of the format of a font
file for the HP laserjet?  I have some characters I have defined that I
need to print in a document and making a downloadable font out of them
seems like the easiest thing to do.  Any pointers to HP documents, books or
source code would be perfect.

Cheers,
Robert Rother
rmr@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu  a.k.a.  sdcsvax!rmr

------------------------------

Date: 13 Jan 88 09:35:38 PST (Wednesday)
From: "Philip_M._Burton.osbunorth"@Xerox.COM
Subject: Keyboard Buffer problems with FANSI-CONSOLE (6-20-87 version)

Several months ago, I installed FANSI-CONSOLE on my 6 MHz AT with EGA, and
got a real boost in display speed.  However I have recently encountered
problems with several programs from different vendors.  All the problems
seem to be keyboard-related.  The one problem that I can reproduce goes
away if ANSI.SYS (DOS 3.1) is substituted for FCONSOLE.DEV (6-20-87 ver-
sion.)

"Where in the World is Carmen Miranda?" (Broderbond) runs fine with
ANSI.SYS.  With FANSI, the system freezes up completely if CAPSLOCK is
pressed.  Even Control-Alt-Delete won't reboot the system.  If NUMLOCK is
pressed several times, the system also freezes up.  This problem is
reproducible.

"ThinkQuick" (Learning Company) relies on several one-letter keyboard com-
mands to move the play between various rooms and the "hideout" or  the
"score sheet".  Some of these commands stopped working on several occa-
sions, and after the game was finished,  keyboard input was incorrect.  For
example, if I typed "dir" I got "gxe" or some such.

The same apparent keyboard remapping occurred once with Sidekick Version
1.51A during an editing session.

My installation parameters are :

S=5000; R=00; Q=0; M=0; W=1

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding installation or configuration?

Has anyone else encountered any of these problems?  Are there substitutes
for FANSI that improve screen display, but don't affect the keyboard
buffer?

Phil Burton
Xerox Corporation

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Jan 88 14:36 EST
From: "Evan S. Nelson"  <UNCESN%UNC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Latin-to-English translator wanted

A friend of mine is teaching introductory Latin at the college level, and
is interested in using a Latin-to-English translating program as part of
his curriculum.

Does anybody know of a public domain, or courseware, program to translate
between the two languages?  We have already seen "suzy," a sample PC-LISP
file, but found it to be inadequate.

Thanks for the information.

- Evan Nelson, UNCESN@UNC.bitnet

P.S. We did find a shareware program for making crossword puzzles, and be-
cause Latin uses the same basic alphabet as English, this program has
educational value.  He can use it to make vocabulary acquisition and verb
conjugation more interesting to the students.

------------------------------

Date: 12 Jan 88 18:29:02 O (Tue)
From: Amos Shapira <@RELAY.CS.NET,@humus.huji.ac.il:amoss@BATATA.BITNET>
Subject: PKARC Squash Algorithm Wanted

In one digest on info-ibmpc Phil Katz, the author of PKARC, says that he
distributed a document describing the algorithm called "squashing" on BBS's
in the western U.S..

Can anyone please send me a copy of this document?

Thanks in advance,
--Amos Shapira

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Jan 88 22:30 AST
From: <JNDPH%ALASKA.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Query on accelerator cards

I'd like to upgrade my Leading Edge 30 mb monochrome to run Windows in high
res color.  The ideal thing for me would be a 386 upgrade, but I understand
that none of the 386 boards for the PC buss can run Windows386 (including
Intel's!).  I am also interested in Microsoft's Mach 20 286 card, because
its Inport will free the slot now occupied by my mouse card.

I haven't seen anything on accelerator cards for a while, nor any comments
on 386 upgrades for old pc's.  The folks at Hauppage told me that their 386
motherboard will only fit old IBM boxes (folks with the Real Thing might
want to check it out).

                                        |  dennis harris
    *   *                               |  university of alaska, juneau
            *                           |  school of business / micro lab
                              *         |  uacn:        acad1::jndph
              *                         |  bitnet:      jndph@alaska

             *      *                   |  if life is a menu-driven
                *                       |  universe, how can we escape
                                        |  to a command line interpreter?

[You might try sending a request to <386users-request@udel.edu>  There is an
active list there. --gph]

End of Info-IBMPC Digest