hicks@WALKER-EMH.ARPA (Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS) (02/09/88)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Fri, 29 Jan 88       Volume 7 : Issue   7

Today's Topics:
              BITNET server with PC program library (2 msgs)
                             Borland Upgrades
                           Correct HD Interleave
         What is the Directory/File Name of the Allocator (2 msgs)
                                 alloca.c
                Compilers for '386 with large array spaces
          Basic Graphics Routines for IBM AT and EGA Card Wanted
                        Query on accelerator cards
                    Mail between PC-DOS and UNIX or VMS
                   New files for the Lending Library ...
                      PROTECT.ASM program submission
                 RGBI -> RGB converter - boards available
                             Z-248 Upgrade Kit
Today's Queries:
                 PC/VAX Communications and APL Programming
                    Printing Graphics from TURBO PASCAL
                           dos 3.3 and diskparm
                Lancore Technologies Inc Information Wanted
               English to Valley Girl Talk Translator Wanted
                        MSC 4.0 interrupt handlers
                     Sports and Shift Scheduler Wanted
                  Using AST 6-Pak for Memory Beyond 640K
            Disappearing COMMAND.COM when doing Backup/Restore

Info-IBMPC Lending Library is available from:

    Bitnet via server at CCUC; and from SIMTEL20.ARPA (see file
          PD1:<msdos>files.idx for listing of source files)

    SIMTEL20.ARPA can now be accessed access from BITNET is via
       LISTSERV@RPICICGE.BITNET using LISTSERV Commands

      INFO-IBMPC BBS Phone Numbers: (213) 827-2635 and (213) 827-2515

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 88 12:40 EST
From: <BRUCEH%UTKVX3.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: BITNET server with PC program library

I tried loading some archive files (surface analysis program) from the
server at CCUC.  I loaded them to my VAX account from bitnet and then used
kermit to transfer them to to PC.  I was unable to un-archive them and kept
getting an error that said there was a bad header.  Were the archive files
bad, or was it something I did in down-loading them?  Any help would be ap-
preciated.

Thanks,

Bruce Harrison
Univ. of Tenn. at Martin
Computer Center
Martin, TN  38238

BRUCEH@UTKVX1  (bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jan 88 12:47:10 CST
From: "Richard Winkel     UMC Computing Services"
          <CCRJW%UMCVMB.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: FTP from LISTSERV@RPICICGE

Your note was forwarded to me.  Your problem is due to the file being run
through an ascii translation routine upon receipt by your node, to account
for character representation differences on the VAX and IBM mainframes.
The solution is to have the listserver encode the file into printable
characters before sending it to you.  You then download the encoded file to
your pc and decode it, then unarc it.  The listserv option to do the encod-
ing is '(UUE'.

Example: /PDGET PD:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>INTERRUP.ARC (UUE

You'll need a UUDecoder program to run on your PC to recover the original
file.  UUDECODE.C & UUDECODE.PAS on CCUC@UMCVMB will do the trick.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Rich Winkel

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Jan 88 19:01:38 PST
From: David_T._Price@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Borland Upgrades

I ordered my Turbo Pascal 4.0 upgrade (complete developers kit) in mid-
November. It arrived today. OK, so they have been busy at Borland, and
probably have had thousands of upgrade orders. I don't mind waiting, but
... I do object strongly when they charge me $US 35.00 just for packing the
compiler in a piece of cardboard, and shipping it by "domestic freight".
Even the small print on their glossy ad in December's Byte demands a mere
$US 25.00 for "foreign" orders. (As if shipping anything to Canada is a lot
more expensive than anywhere in the continental US.) The guy who delivered
it to my door even volunteered that they had over 400 copies for distribu-
tion around Vancouver alone. So what is going on?

For the $US 75.00 they are charging, I could have waited and bought the
package locally. I PRESUME that when the Toolboxes arrive, they will have
no freight charges attached??? Even so, I (and I presume thousands of
Canadians) are being overcharged to tune tune of $US 10.00 each. And I have
been a loyal customer of Borland ever since Turbo Pascal version 1.0. I
hope they will announce that a mistake has been made, and that refunds are
on their way, but I ain't holding my breath waiting.

------------------------------

Date: Thursday, 21 January 1988  18:25-MST
From: aplcen!cp1!sarin!wb3ffv!howardl@MIMSY.UMD.EDU (Howard Leadmon)
Subject: Correct HD Interleave

    First off let me point out that generally the best interleave is deter-
mined by the controller you are using, so you should look at the informa-
tion you received with the HD Controller.  Now let me tell you about my ex-
periences with the various controllers, and what we used with a ST-251.  I
installed a Seagate ST-251 in an IBM-PC the other day, and the controller
that came with the drive was a Western Digital WD1002-SWX series board (I
think SWX).

    After several re-formats we decided the best interleave was 4:1.  This
was tested using the CORE Harddrive test, and the throughput was about
130Kbytes per second.

    When using the recomended 3:1 interleave, throughput dropped to a mere
30Kbytes per second, and at 5:1 it was only down to 120Kbytes.  This proves
that too short an interleave really hurts!!  Anyway the other Western Digi-
tal controllers I have worked with are the WD1003 and the WD1006 series.
The best interleave with the 1003 is 3:1 and gives a throughput of about
190 Kbytes per second. The GREAT controller (and the one I use) is the
WD1006 series, and it is a 1:1 interleave track-cache controller. The
WD1006 will achive a throughput of nearly 400 Kbytes, and believe me, you
can tell when copying large files.

                         Sincerely,
                         Howard Leadmon
                         Fast Computer Service, Inc.
                         cp1!sarin!wb3ffv!howardl
                         (301)-335-2206

------------------------------

Date: 25 Jan 1988 17:11-EST
From: MHARRIS@G.BBN.COM
Subject: Do You Know the Directory/File Name of the Allocator?

If you know the whereabouts of the rumored-to-exist C memory allocation
code package in the PD: libraries, could you tell me?  There is no obvious
filename in the MSDOS.CRCLST file.

Thanks.

-- MIchael Harris     MHarris@BBN.COM     (617)873-3794

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1988  15:33 MST
From: "Frank J. Wancho" <WANCHO@SIMTEL20.ARPA>

Michael,

We have Doug Gwyn's alloca.c around, if that's what you mean.  We seem to
have two versions around, one in PD2:<UNIX.GNU> and another in
PD:<UNIX.UTILS1>.

--Frank

[In addition to that, Doug Gwyn also sent the source code to the Lending
Library.  See following message for details of operation.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jan 88 11:24:28 EST
From: Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn@BRL.ARPA>
Subject: alloca.c

/*
     alloca -- (mostly) portable public-domain implementation

     last edit:     86/01/26  D A Gwyn

     This implementation of the PWB library alloca() function, which is
used to allocate space off the run-time stack so that it is automatically
reclaimed upon procedure exit, was inspired by discussions with J. Q.
Johnson of Cornell.

     It should work under any C implementation that uses an actual proce-
dure stack (as opposed to a linked list of frames).  There are some
preprocessor constants that can be defined when compiling for your specific
system, for improved efficiency; however, the defaults should be okay.

     The general concept of this implementation is to keep track of all
alloca()-allocated blocks, and reclaim any that are found to be deeper in
the stack than the current invocation.  This heuristic does not reclaim
storage as soon as it becomes invalid, but it will do so eventually.

     As a special case, alloca(0) reclaims storage without allocating any.
It is a good idea to use alloca(0) in your main control loop, etc. to force
garbage collection.
*/

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Jan 88 13:35:41 PST
From: imagen!carl@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Carl Stehle)
Subject: Compilers for '386 with large array spaces

> From: KOEHLER%SASK.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu

>         My question is the following.  Are there any existing '386
> compilers (any of Fortran, Pascal or C) which allow one to access LARGE
> arrays (say 1000 by 1000) directly AND which can use the Weitek
> co-processor?

    Try either MetaWare (408)429-6382 or OASYS (617)890-7889 for the com-
piler.  Both support protected mode on the 386 (this should give you ample
room) and generate Weitek code. You will also need PharLap's 386/ASM,
386/LINK, and 386/RUN (or 386/BIND).

 Carl Stehle

------------------------------

Date: Sat Jan 23 17:34:22 1988
From: microsof!gaben%beaver.cs@beaver.cs.washington.edu
Subject: Basic Graphics Routines for IBM AT and EGA Card Wanted

>From: steinmetz!unioncs!brownh@uunet.UU.NET (H. Brown)
>
>I am looking for references or code to do basic graphics (like accessing
>individual pixels) on an IBM AT with an EGA card from Turbo C.  I don't
>need higher-level stuff like line or circle drawing algorithms, just the
>very basics.

I would suggest trying Microsoft Quick C, but then I am biased ...

     Gabe Newell
     Microsoft

------------------------------

Date: Sat Jan 23 17:59:33 1988
From: microsof!gaben%beaver.cs@beaver.cs.washington.edu
Subject: Query on accelerator cards

>From: <JNDPH%ALASKA.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
>
>   I'd like to upgrade my Leading Edge 30 mb monochrome to run Windows in
> high res color.  The ideal thing for me would be a 386 upgrade, but I
> understand that none of the 386 boards for the PC buss can run Windows386
> (including Intel's!).  I am also interested in Microsoft's Mach 20 286
> card, because its Inport will free the slot now occupied by my mouse
> card.

    Windows/386 doesn't currently run with XT based 386 accelerator cards.
The issues relate to virtualizing the different hard disk controller,
figuring out how to virtualize dma when the dma controller only knows how
to dma in the first 1 meg, etc ...

We are, however, working on support for both the Quadram XT 386 card and
the Intel Inboard PC, but I can't really give any accurate release dates
since I don't know myself.

We work with the Hauppage upgrade as long as you also upgrade your hard
disk controller.  You need to get a 5-1/4", 360K version of the disks,
which we don't include in the package, but which I will be happy to send
you if you decide to go this way.

The big advantage of going with the Hauppage upgrade is getting the AT bus.
Several of the EGA/VGA chip vendors are coming out with 16 bit versions of
their cards, and for a lot of operations that translates to a real 2X per-
formance improvement for graphics operations.  Also if you have extra
memory on 8-bit cards which you are executing code out of, your performance
will be really horrible.

     Gabe Newell
     Product Manager, Windows

------------------------------

Date: Thu Jan 21 02:05:32 1988 pst
From: Samuel Lam
         <ihnp4!ubc-vision!sklpc.vnet.van-bc.uucp!Samuel.Lam@Sun.COM>
Subject: Mail between PC-DOS and UNIX or VMS

In volume 7 issue 3, Marc-Andre Pepin <pepin@bond.crim.cdn> wrote:
> Does anybody know a package that could connect a PC-DOS system
> to a UNIX system or a VAX/VMS system for electronic mail over a
> dial-up line.  I'm looking for something resembling to a UUCP
> or PHONENET mail package for PC-DOS.

    UUPC (UUcp for Personal Computers) is a free-software package which
does exactly what its name implies.  It is available from at least
SIMTEL20.ARPA (for the Internet people) and LISTSERV@NDSUVM1 (for the BIT-
NET people).  Other networks should also be able to access the above ar-
chives via e-mail using the [whatever is current these days] mechanism.

BTW, this message was sent from an IBM-PC using the above mentioned
software.

...Sam

Samuel Lam   {ihnp4!alberta,watmath,uw-beaver}!ubc-vision!van-bc!sklpc!skl

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 88 17:07:18 GMT
From: Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>
Subject: New files for the Lending Library ...

PROTECT.ASM    Protects the HARD DISK (as well as floppies) from those
          programs that try to do nasty things (like spawn a virus)
          while it's running.  This program is an improvement over the
          one that appeared in Byte (or perhaps PC Mag) in that it is
          possible to make it 'dormant' when desired.  When active,
          it does not allow any writes to the protected disk.  You
          get the DOS Critical Error Handler and the (in)famous
          Abort, Retry or Ignore? message...

3-4ENCODE.BAS  Allows one to encode/decode files for transmission using
          a three source bytes to four target bytes method of encoding.
          This is similar in operation to the Un*x uuencode/uudecode
          programs except that THIS one is written in BASIC...  Should
          be compiled for proper execution speed...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 88 13:31:46 SET
From: RZACIU%DBNUAMA1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: PROTECT.ASM program submission

I got PROTECT.ASM form Simtel20 or so (I don't remember exactly). This
program realizes a hard disk write protect by intercepting INT13h. In the
last BYTE issue 'inside the IBM PCs' I saw some additional ROM Bios codes I
thought to be inmportant for this program, so I changed PROTECT.ASM to
check those codes.

The program is quite useful when testing software that you fear could do
harm to your hard disk, such as deleting files or writing nasty things.
When you run PROTECT, hard disk protection is on. Each additional run
toggles protection off or on. Bios codes that aren't considered dangerous
(such as disk read) are passed through to the original INT handler. The
dangerous ones are intercepted, PROTECT returns from the interrupt with the
error code for write protected disk, so you get the Abort, Retry, Ignore
prompt. Regrettably I lost the name of the author of this very useful
program.

   Rainer Kleinrensing

[PROTECT.ASM has been added to the Info-IBMPC Lending Library in Directory
PD1:<msdos.dskutil>protect.asm.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Friday, 22 January 1988  13:01-MST
From: mnetor!utgpu!lharris@UUNET.UU.NET (Leonard Harris)
Subject: RGBI -> RGB converter - boards available

Hi.  A few weeks ago I posted an article offering a RGBI to RGB converter
that allow you to hook up a PC type graphics adaptor to analog RGB
monitors.  I now have boards available.

It uses a 7407, 7404 (if you want inverted sync), 3 resistors, 3 pots and 2
DB9 connectors all on a 1.5 x 2 inch 2 sided board.

Send $4.50 for the board - include docs, schematic, and postage - this is
my cost - I'm not making nothing !

I'll still post the postscript artwork to sci.electronics but it will cost
more to make one for yourself (I'm also stuck with a minimum order of 50 of
these suckers)

Please - mail to Leonard Harris
     234 Lonsmount Drive
     Toronto, Ontario
     M5P 2Z1
     Canada

 - also email to me if you want one so I can keep track
Thanks
/Leonard

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Jan 88 13:50:11 CST
From: steve@ncsc.ARPA (Mahan)
Subject: Z-248 Upgrade Kit

      The upgrade enables an existing Z-248 machine to be changed to an
80386 type processor.  The machine will operate at 16 MHz with 1 meg of
zero wait state 32 bit RAM.  EPROM bios and video are optionally mapped
into fast RAM.  The kit consists of 4 boards; a new backplane, CPU card, IO
card, and memory card.  The backplane has 10 slots.  Six of these are 32
bit Zenith slots, four IBM AT type slots, and two IBM PC type slots.  Ex-
isting Zenith memory expansion cards WILL NOT work in the upgraded sytem.
Any existing AT compatible expansion memory card will work.  The added
memory may be installed as EMS or extended memory.  There is a 64 K cache
card available.

     The new machine is capable of using the 80387 16 MHz coprocessor in
synchronous or asynchronous parallel operation and in serial mode opera-
tion.  The 80287 may be used in serial mode.  There is no provision for the
WEITEC 1167 coprocessor.

     Zenith is trying to get the upgrade onto a GSA contract.  No luck yet.
Commercial price is $2700; GSA price is undetermined.

     The Zenith 80386 computer when purchased as a system and not an
upgrade will include a VGA/EGA/CGA compatible display adaptor.  This card
is NOT included in the upgrade.

     I got this information from Eric Holloway of Zenith Corp.

steve@ncsc

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 88 17:23 EST
From: <AC011021%YUVULCAN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: PC/VAX Communications and APL Programming

    Has anyone heard of a terminal emulation program that would allow a PC
to communicate with a VAX and program in APL?  I've considered getting the
STSC APL*PLUS program and just loading it on my system at home, but the
price is a bit out of my reach at this time.  Specifically, the terminal
emulator would have to overcome the IBM character ROM.  My current equip-
ment is an XT clone with 640 K, 32 meg hard-drive and an EGA WonderCard,
with Hi-res TTL monitor.

I would prefer being able to emulate a terminal ie)Keynote, that can handle
the APL character set, rather than going the expensive route and buying a
full-blown package for a language that, at present, I only want to explore.

Thanks,

Dave Klein
(AC011021 @ YUVULCAN)

------------------------------

Date:     Sun, 24 Jan 88 15:16 EST
From:     The EX-RED one <FOX@ITHACA>
Subject: Printing Graphics from TURBO PASCAL

Hello,
 I am hoping someone can be of some help.  I would like to be able to print
graphics created by TURBO PASCAL 4.0 (no toolbox) on a ProPrinter or
ProPrinter II.  I can do it somewhat using a CGA board, but most of the
machines I have contain EGA's, and these are the machines I would like to
print.

If anyone can help, I would be very indebted.

              Thank you in advance,
                 Bob Fox
                 Consultant,
                 Ithaca College

As Mr. Joel said, "...And after 1986 what else can we do?"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 88 11:20:20 EST
From: Tim Margush <R1TMARG@AKRONVM>
Subject: dos 3.3 and diskparm

Is it true that the DISKPARM command is not available in DOS 3.3?  If so,
what is the best way to configure a system with 1 20M, 1 360K 5 1/4 and 1
720K 3 1/2 drive.  Can the DRIVESYS command be used to force the assignment
of B: to the 3 1/2 inch drive??? Attempts to do this have resulted in as-
signing D:.  Any help would be appreciated.

------------------------------

Date: 25 Jan 88 21:33:21 GMT
From: tyler%csd4.milw.wisc.edu@csd1.milw.wisc.edu (Kevin Tyler Brown)
Subject: Lancore Technologies Inc. Information

I have recently bought a Motherboard that was/is suppose to emulate an IBM
AT and Got it pretty cheap.  The big catch, no information about it.  No
schematics, no manual, not to much of anything.

One good thing is that I have all the Pals and the BIOS.  It runs a 186
Processor and looks like it utilizes a lot of XT facilities.

The information I'm seeking is anything I can get on Lancore Technologies
Inc.  The board number is ASSY #900-0040  Rev 13.

Lancore is out of Califoria, address as follows:

Lancore Technologies, Inc.
31300 Via Colinas, Westlake Village, CA 91362

The Use to produce a File sever under the name of "CoreNet", a Multi-User
Multi-Tasking Network Operating System.

Whatever information I can get on them would be appreciated.

If they were a legitimate company, and went bankrupt or whatever, they have
to have a sevice contract out for at least 10 years.  Or at least sell that
contract.

I need tech manuals, operating manuals, schematics, and/or info on Lan-
core..

-tyler

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 88 13:47:27 EST
From: rsparbe@NSWC-OAS.ARPA
Subject: English to Valley Girl Talk Translator Wanted

Can someone give me a pointer to a language translation program for the PC
that translates English text into "Valley Girl TalK"?  Bob

[IF such a program EXISTS, It would be TOTALLY AWEsome! gph]

------------------------------

Date: 23 Jan 88 22:03:55 GMT
From: Steve Creps <creps@silver.bacs.indiana.EDU>
Subject: MSC 4.0 interrupt handlers

   I have a program I'm porting from Unix to MS-DOS which makes use of an
interrupt handler to handle ^C's. Now that I have it running under MS-DOS,
this handler does not work. It seems to just ignore the ^C's.  If anyone
could offer some advice I would appreciate it.

   The program is setting up the interrupt handler with the call
signal(SIGINT, interrupt);

   interrupt is declared as an int function of no arguments:

int interrupt();

 in the file in which the call to signal occurs.

The routine looks like this:

int interrupt()
{
     automatic = 0;   /* clears a flag. by the way, declared extern int */
     signal(SIGINT, interrupt);
}

   I also looked at the code in PC NetHack, and it does pretty much the
same thing, and I noticed that unlike the Unix version of NetHack, PC
NetHack doesn't ask you if you want to quit when you type ^C; it just
prints "^C" and messes up the screen.

   Any help would be appreciated.

-    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -
Steve Creps on the VAX 8650 running Ultrix 2.0-1 at Indiana University.
creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu, ...iuvax!silver!creps, creps@iubacs.bitnet

"F-14 Tomcat! There IS no substitute."

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Jan 88 12:23:19 EST
From: Rick Patterson <RPATTERS%KENTVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Sports and Shift Scheduler Wanted

I am looking for two similar "pieces" of software and will appreciate any
leads to potential vendors:

  1.  We need a program which may be used to schedule two (sports)
facilities on a 24 hr/day basis in time increments of 10-15 minutes.  Usage
summary reporting and billing cabibilities would be useful but not man-
datory.

  2.  Also, we're looking for software that may be used in a Novell en-
vironment to schedule four overlapping workshifts.  This item ought to be
able to handle vacations, comp time, "working but unavailable" or "working
off-site" time, sick time, etc.  Each supervisor ought to be able to
schedule his/her shift, however managers ought to be able to examine the
various schedules in a coherent, easy to understand, fashion, and make
modifications as required.

  This package need not have "hooks" into a payroll system, however time
accounting on an individual or shift basis would be useful.

We have thought of employing approaches such as using a spreadsheet, but-
suspect there must be software for such purposes commercially available.
Any comments/leads will be appreciated.

Rick Patterson
  BITNET: RPATTERS @ KENTVM
  MCI: 337-2908
  U S Snail: Stockdale Building
             Kent State University
             Kent, OH  44242-0001
Acknowledge-To: <RPATTERS@KENTVM>

------------------------------

Date: Fri 22 Jan 88 20:17:01-EST
From: Seth Chaiklin <TC.CHAIKLIN@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Using AST 6-Pak for Memory Beyond 640K

PREMISE:  640K on XT clone motherboard
          384K on AST 6-Pak

DESIRE:  Use 384K as EMS or Ram Disk

CONCLUSION:  Does a driver exist?

Thanks for all replies.

Seth Chaiklin                 chaiklin@cu20b.columbia.edu
Teachers College              chaiklin@cutcv1.bitnet
Columbia University

------------------------------

Date: 25 Jan 88 14:20:47 GMT
From: K368181%CZHRZU1A.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Disappearing COMMAND.COM when doing Backup/Restore

On my IBM XT I must maintain three versions of PC-DOS Version 3.3 for nor-
mal use Version 3.1 to use the hercules graphic/basic overlay Version 3.2
with a few programs that dislike version 3.3 Originally, I prepared three
start-up diskettes, containing the two hidden files, command.com of the
respective version and config.sys and autoexec.bat as required.  containing
path /dos31, path /dos32 or path /dos33.  To speed up the booting, I in-
cluded a shell command in the config.sys file and I set conspec to
c:/dos31/command.com in the autoexec file. This way the respective version
of the required command.com file was read from the hard disk from the
respective subdirectory. This is noticably faster,

    Everything worked as expected, until I used backup/restore on my hard
disk. This removed all three versions of command.com, one each from every
subdirectory /dos31, /dos32 and /dos33.  I am bringing this to your atten-
tion because i think this is of general interest in two cases. When using
the IBM PC Network Program V1.2, the current command.com is also stored in
subdirectory /apps/dos3-30 and missing after restore. When using IBM OS/2
V1.0 this useage of shell and comspec is the suggested method for booting
DOS on an OS/2 hard disk, required for using programs that do not like OS/2
(communications).

Thank you for your help. Hippolyt

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------