hicks@WALKER-EMH.ARPA (Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS) (02/14/88)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Tue,  9 Feb 88       Volume 7 : Issue  12

This Week's Editor: Gregory Hicks -- Chinhae Korea <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>

Today's Topics:
                Caution for those considering MSC 5.0 (2 msgs)
                   FTP Problems with SIMTEL20.arpa (2 msgs)
                         Jove version 4.8c available
                         Mathematical Word Processing
                      MicroEMACS/Network problem solved
                            RLL Controller Queries
          Utility to print Defense Mapping Agency (DMA) map requests
                           What's a good textbook?
Today's Queries:
               10 MHz, V20, RLL, and the smell of burnt silicon
                     Bug in Turbo C 1.5's TCINST program
                     Computer Aided Software Engineering
                            Concurrent C Language
                   Device Driver for the IBM PS/2 Model 25
                    Request for Information on Hard Cards
          Request for QMS Kiss Laser Printer Driver for MS Word 4.0
                          Zenith EaZy-PC Serial Port
                                Knowledge Pro

Info-IBMPC Lending Library is available from:

    Bitnet via server at CCUC; and from SIMTEL20.ARPA (see file
          PD1:<msdos>files.idx for listing of source files)

    SIMTEL20.ARPA can now be accessed access from BITNET is via
       LISTSERV@RPICICGE.BITNET using LISTSERV Commands

      INFO-IBMPC BBS Phone Numbers: (213) 827-2635 and (213) 827-2515

Date: 7 Feb 88 23:18:13 GMT
From: Jerry Fountain <gof@crash.cts.COM>
Subject: Caution for those considering MSC 5.0

<mc35+@andrew.cmu.edu> (Mark Chance) flamed a bit at Microsoft in a recent
message regarding MSC 5.0 and where 5.0 puts constants...

I think you should have contacted MS before putting out this minor flame (or
at least have posted it as a question to the net rather than a complaint)

What you need to do is call MS, and tell them you need the 'Gt fix for the
second pass of the compiler.'  This makes 5.0 work like 4.0 (makes CONST -Gt
aware).  They will send you a replacement second pass for the compiler.
Note:  When I spoke with them about the 'bug' they stated they did not
consider it a bug but simply a design change.  In reality it only effects
those with a large stack requirement or a large number of CONST's

Date: Mon, 8 Feb 88 13:35:55 EST
From: emb978@leah.Albany.EDU (Eric M. Boehm)
Subject: FTP Problems with SIMTEL20.arpa

I had this problem myself. Two possibilities:

1. issue command to set "tenex" aka Type L 8 so that files from 36-bit SIMTEL
are transferred properly to 32-bit VAX. Also make sure that for transferring
arc files to your pc, that vax kermit or ckermit are "SET FILE TYPE BINARY".

2. There is a program at simtel20 in ps:<anonymous> (this is where you are
when you first login) called bintnxvms.c which is a C program for converting
the files you get from simtel20 to the proper arrangement.

Eric M. Boehm
EMB978@LEAH.ALBANY.EDU
EMB978@ALBNY1VX.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Feb 88 12:00:19 -0800
From: Lance Nakata <nakata@jessica.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: SIMTEL access

> I have been getting stuff off ST20 via FTP for years, based on the list
> of the directories (list the available directories rather than the
> files in the current directory). We can't find any TOPS-20 people who
> could tell me how to do this.

> bill davidsen       (wedu@ge-crd.ARPA)

In TOPS-20 a subdirectory name is of the form NAME.DIRECTORY.  For example,
in the <MSDOS> directory, there is a file with the name LAPTOP.DIRECTORY
which is what the outside world knows as <MSDOS.LAPTOP>.  It is possible to
see these *.DIRECTORY files through FTP, but *only* if the file protections
allow it.  Thus, if the protection of each *.DIRECTORY file were set to
770202, you would see them through FTP by typing DIR PD1:<MSDOS>*.DIRECTORY.

The protections probably are set at 770000.  However, subdirectory
information is already available in PD1:<MSDOS>MSDOS.DIRLST.

Lance Nakata
nakata@jessica.stanford.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Feb 88 21:23:33 EST
From: karl@hipl.psych.nyu.edu (Karl Gegenfurtner Rm 980A x7779)
Subject: Jove version 4.8c available

The newest version of Jove (4.8c) is now available via anonymous ftp from
simtel20.arpa, hipl.psych.nyu.edu, and cs.rochester.edu. People on BITNET can
get Jove via simtel20.

The following files are on simtel20:

Filename            Type  Bytes     CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.EDITOR>
JOVEDOC.ARC.3            BINARY    168353  5E7FH
JOVEEXE.ARC.3            BINARY    320109  80F7H
JOVESRC.ARC.3            BINARY    237860  F574H
JOVEUNX.ARC.2            BINARY    228069  1CBAH

Jovedoc contains the online documentation and a formatted version of the user
manual. Joveexe contains executables for IBMPCs and compatibles, for generic
MSDOS machines, and for DEC Rainbows. Jovesrc has the complete source code in
it. Joveunx is not needed to build Jove under MSDOS. It contains files
specific to the Unix version, but the [nt]roff sources for the documentation
might be of interest. The binaries for a smaller version (medium memory
model) are available only via anonymous ftp from hipl.psych.nyu.edu.

Some of the features supported are tags, parsing of compiler errors, filename
completion, comment formatting (for C), filtering of text through arbitrary
operating system commands, word abbreviations, and the creation of backup
files. New in this version are changing directories within Jove (absolute
pathnames), and support for editing big files (about 25000 lines with a 640
kB PC).

The PC version supports different screen colors, the PC function keys, and
the complete IBM character set. In particular, Umlaute are treated correctly
as parts of words and in case conversions. Ega 43 line mode is supported.

Jove comes with complete source code. The Microsoft C Compiler version 5.0 is
necessary to compile Jove on the PC.

          Karl Gegenfurtner

arpa:     karl@hipl.psych.nyu.edu
uucp      {ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cmcl2!xp!hipl!karl
usps:     New York University
          Dept. of Psychology
          6 Washington Place 8th floor
          New York, NY 10003

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Feb 88 13:39 EST
From: UNCKEP%UNC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Mathematical Word Processing

  Several recent issues of the Digest have commented on a couple of
mathematical word processors. A number of articles on this matter have
appeared in the Notices of the American Mathematical Society, beginning in
October 1985. In particular, the January 1986 issue contains a long review,
by the Boston Computer Society, of technical word processors for the IBM-PC
and compatibles. Later issues discuss TEX and its add-ons. My own favorite is
EXP, which is cheap, extremely easy to use, and does beautiful output with an
HP Laserjet or even 24-pin Toshiba.

                                         Karl Petersen
                                         Dept. of Mathematics
                                         UNC, Chapel Hill
                                         UNCKEP@UNC.Bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Feb 88 15:10:04 PST
From: Doug Brutlag <brutlag@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: MicroEMACS/Network problem solved

     I reported a problem running MicroEMACS on PC's with the 3-COM
network drivers installed.  Sheila Ffolliott kindly informed me that she had
observed a similar problem running MicroEMACS on a different network and
solved the problem by removing the root directory from the PATH.  This also
solved the problem for me.  When running MicroEMACS from an IBM-PC
workstation with network drivers or NetBios installed you cannot have the
root directory of any drive (local or network) in the path.  MicroEMACS is
probably looking along the path for its configuration files.  This could
probably be easily fixed by someone familiar with the code.

Doug Brutlag

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Feb 88 16:26 PST
From: <BD%TRIUMFCL.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: RLL Controller Queries

        I also have an XT clone running a "V20" chip at 10 mHz, and my Norton
"SI" rating of 4.0 on Turbo and 1.7 on non-Turbo.  It has two NEC D5126 hard
disks interfaced via an Adaptec ACB-2070A rll controller, for a total of 63
megabytes, or 31.5 megabytes per disk.  This system has seen semi-continuous
use for approximately one year, with no problems.

q) In V7 #6 how is 7.5 mHz data related to the system clock?

a) The 7.5 mHz data transfer between the hard disk and the RLL controller
does not depend on the system clock.  This is a peak rate, and the RLL
controller buffers the data and later presents it to the PC motherboard by
stealing cycles (DMA) from the system clock.  If the RLL controller cannot
transfer data at full 7.5 mHz burst rate off the hard disk, then interleave
is used to reduce the average data transfer frequency to one that the system
bus can accept.  My Adaptec ACB-2070A uses an interleave factor of 3, and
averages a data transfer rate of 250 Kilobytes/Second.

q) Is the RLL controller compatible with 8 (10?) mHz V20 chip?  Or must the
XT be switched to a lower speed for operation?

a) My Adaptec ACB-2070A transfers data averaging 250 Kilobytes/Second into my
Turbo motherboard with "V20", at either 4.77 or 10 mHz clock.

q) Are the parity check interrupts caused by the RLL card because of its
tight window margins causing contention problems with the DRAMS?  (The 640K
memory consisted of 41256 DRAMS on Bank 0 and Bank 1, and 4164 RAMS on Bank 2
and Bank 3.  The mother board is a 4 layered mitcom board which comes from
Taiwan)

a) I suspect that DMA memory accesses would exceed tight window margins
before regular memory accesses, due to the number of extra IC gates
traversed.  RLL data propagates from the RLL controller card, through the i/o
expander slot and its long traces, and is gated by the 8237 bus dma
controller.  My motherboard inserts extra "wait" states when accessing i/o or
memory through the expander cards, to reduce these tight window margins.
(Although the manufacturer of my 10 mHz 4-layer motherboard recommended 150
nanosecond DRAMS, my vendor found it necessary to populate with 120
nanosecond DRAMS to avoid occasional parity errors)

q) With the keyboard LED's blinking away continuously on trying to boot up,
and no monitor display, what is(are) the suspected fault(s)

a) Since different BIOS's behave differently under error, I would have to
know more about your BIOS before passing judgement.

   I have a xerox copy of the NEC uPD 70108 "V20" spec sheets which I am
willing to forward to you.  Please send me a message with your full postal
address so I can mail it.  I would also be willing to mail you some
information on my Turbo BIOS.

[The BIOS referred to is available from SIMTEL20.arpa in files
pd1:<msdos.sysutl>bios.asm and pd1:<msdos.sysutl>bios.doc ... gph]

                                        Ya'akov N. Miles,
                                        Programmer/Analyst
                                        <BD@TRIUMFCL.bitnet>

ps:     I have heard rumours that Adaptec, 580 Cottonwood Drive, Milpitas, Ca
95035, USA, supplies a ROM upgrade to ACB-2070A rll controller to enable
operation with PC-DOS version 3.3

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1988  21:41 MST
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: Utility to print Defense Mapping Agency (DMA) map requests

Now available via standard anonymous FTP from SIMTEL20...

Filename            Type  Bytes     CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.MAPPING>
GETAMAP.ARC.1            BINARY     80803  4521H

GETAMAP   is a utility to print Defense Mapping Agency (DMA) map requests.
This program is supplied by the Defense Mapping Agency to print the
NON-classified maps they supply to the public.  The program has been placed
in the public domain.  Thanks to David Kirschbaum for uploading it to
SIMTEL20.

--Keith

------------------------------

Date: 6 Feb 88 23:21:46 GMT
From: Sysop account <levine@atpal.uucp>
Subject: What's a good textbook?

Without commenting on whatever fun there may be in struggling through
difficult and obtuse works which may or may not relate to the machine you are
working on...

Let me add that I found >C Primer Plus< by the Waite Group and the sequal
>Advanced C Primer Plus Plus< to be very readable, helpful and easily
absorbed.  They are well organized, give many examples, and serve as
excellent references.

Secondly, if you are learning C on an IBM I highly recommend >Microsoft C
Programming for the IBM< also by the Waite Group.  K&R may be obligatory, but
it is hardly a gentle introduction.  cter set. In parti

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Feb 88 01:43 CST
From: SHAD52%UOFMCC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: 10 MHz, V20, RLL, and the smell of burnt silicon

Briefly:

When I bought my PClone, I requested a V20 be installed.  The dealer said
that with my configuration, the hard disk tended to blow up (i.e. write
garbage, as opposed to physical self-destruction) at the 10 MHz speed.  Not
being brave (read: stupid) enough to test this myself, I request your help.
Similar experiences, comments, suggestions etcetera greatly appreciated.
Please send directly to me, as well as posting to the net, as I'm having some
trouble with the netlists.

My equipment is:
   -DTK 8088 motherboard with ERSO BIOS, 4.77/10MHz
   -OMTI 5527A RLL HD controller
   -Seagate ST238 30Mb hard drive

                                  Thanks,
                                  Cam MacKinnon

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Feb 88 15:26:08 PST
From: Samuel_Lam@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Bug in Turbo C 1.5's TCINST program

The following is a bug I encountered in the TCINST that came
with Turbo C 1.5:

I am unable to use the TCINST.EXE program that came in disk #1 to make custom
changes to the screen attributes used in the various menus and windows in
TC.EXE (the interactive environment).  TCINST accepted my changes happily and
"saved" it into TC.EXE when it exited, but when I started up the modified
copy of TC.EXE, all the screen attributes were that of the ones before I ran
TCINST.

This problem seems to affect the "colour" changes *only*, the changes I made
to the directories and options setting in TCINST were all saved properly and
were in effect when I started up the modified version of TC.EXE.

This is happening on an IBM-PC with a monochrome monitor on a MDA (if that
matters).  The version of Turbo C 1.5 I used has all its files dated
12-10-87.

Do any other Turbo C 1.5 users have this problem as well?

(A friend of mine who has Turbo C 1.0 and Turbo Pascal 4.0 had told me that
this problem does not appear in either of these packages' configuration
programs.)

...Sam
Internet: <Samuel_Lam%UBC@um.cc.umich.edu> (or <Samuel_Lam@mtsg.ubc.ca>)
UUCP: {ihnp4!alberta,watmath,uunet,uw-beaver}!ubc-vision!ubc-mts!skl
BITNET: <USERSKL@UBCMTSG>

------------------------------

Date: 25 Jan 88 08:08:19 GMT
From: Mike MacGregor <macg@alberta.uucp>
Subject: Computer Aided Software Engineering

I'd like to summarize netland experience with CASE (computer assisted
software engineering).  I'm most interested in methods, environments and
procedures in general, but I will collect references to specific products as
well.  Please mail direct to me, and I'll post the results.

( Deja vu ?  No - this is my second attempt.  No more Xmas postings for me.)

uucp:  macg@alberta                            Innately analog: (403)432-3978
ean:   macg@pembina.alberta.cdn
disclaimer: I'm saving all my opinions for my thesis.

------------------------------

Date: 29 Jan 88 19:56:40 GMT
From: "G.Onufer" <exodus@uop.EDU>
Subject: Concurrent C Language

The University of the Pacific teaching staff is looking for a Concurrent C
programming language or modifications, libraries to simulate such a language.
(Example: package implementing semaphores, monitors, events, etc.).

Any help would be _greatly_ appreciated (better than re-inventing the
wheel...).

Please reply by E-Mail to exodus@uop.edu

Greg Onufer
University of the Pacific

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Feb 88 16:21 EST
From: KEMPSOND%QUCDN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Device Driver for the IBM PS/2 Model 25

We are trying to use the print screen function on
a IBM PS/2 model 25.In the 640X200 mode we can run "GRAPHICS" first , then go
into our basicprogram create a graph  on the screen and use a <Prt Scr> to
plot the resultonto an panasonic 1080i or 1090 with no problem. However when
we use the 640X480 mode,create the same graphic image on the screen and then
try to print using <Prt Scr> all that we get out is the text part of the
screen.  IBM say's this function works with their printers?

Dave Kempson

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Oct 87 00:41:03 EDT
From: Alex Gutman <RAAQC633%CUNYVM.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: Request for Information on Hard Cards

   Can someone please explain to me what a hard card is and which are the
best one's available? I'm kinda running out of room on my Hard Disk. What are
the most amount of megabytes available on a hard Card. Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanx in Advance

     Alex Gutman (Bitnet:Raaqc633@Cunyvm) (Compuserve:71420.1516)

[A hard card is a hard disk that is mounted on a plug in card.  It contains
the controller as well at the drive itself.  No cables to mess with and no
requirement to move any floppy disk drives.  Usual size is 20mb.  I'll let
the net answer what's the best one to buy.  I don't know as I don't have one.
gph]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Feb 88 15:36:55 CST
From: moore@ncsc.ARPA (Moore)
Subject: Request for QMS Kiss Laser Printer Driver for MS Word 4.0

Is there any kind CompuServe subscriber out there who would see fit to send
me the MS Word 4.0 QMS Kiss printer driver?  Apparently that driver is
different from the one for 3.11 (as well as not supplied on the distribution
disks).  Unfortunately I don't have a subscription to CompuServe, apparently
the only place one can download them for free.

Many thanks for any assistance.

Jim
moore@NCSC.arpa (still reorganizing)

------------------------------

Date: 3 Feb 88 17:04:02 PST (Wed)
From: Samuel Lam <ihnp4!ubc-vision!van-bc!Samuel.Lam@Sun.COM>
Subject: Zenith EaZy-PC Serial Port

On a Zenith EaZy-PC, there is a built-in serial mouse port.  Experiments had
shown that ProComm can use it as a communications port at speed up to 19,200
baud without problem, but MS-Kermit will hang the machine at the first
character.  Does anyone know why?

(To rephrase the question, if a serial port works for a serial mouse *and*
ProComm (at high baud rate), why wouldn't it work with MS-Kermit 2.30?)

BTW, the port address of this only serial port is 0x2f8, if that matters.

Any pointers would be appreciated, thank you very much in advance.

Please reply by e-mail if possible.

...Sam
--
Samuel Lam     <Samuel.Lam@van-bc.UUCP> or
{ihnp4!alberta,watmath,uw-beaver}!ubc-vision!van-bc!skl

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Feb 88 10:23:59 EST
From: Brady@UDEL.EDU
Subject: Knowledge Pro

The product Knowledge Pro has been heavily advertised in AIExpert, and in
other publications, but I have seen no product reviews.

I would appreciate hearing about user experiences. Also, if any product
reviews have been published, please tell me where. I will summarize and
resend replies to the net.

My intended use would be in computer aided instruction.

Thank you in advance.

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------