hicks@WALKER-EMH.ARPA (Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS) (02/24/88)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sat, 20 Feb 88       Volume 7 : Issue  17

This Week's Editor: Gregory Hicks -- Chinhae Korea <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>

Today's Topics:
                     Bug in Turbo C 1.5's TCINST program
                                   Calendar
                  Communication packages and carrier detect
                        Enhanced F11/F12 TSR Submitted
                        HD problems on IBM model 50/60
                                  Hard Cards
                   OS/2 Product Numbers/Upgrade Request Form
                          Putting globals in DGROUP
       Receiving NETDATA binary files on BITNET VMS hosts running JNet
                                Speed of 80287

Info-IBMPC Lending Library is available from:

    Bitnet via server at CCUC; and from SIMTEL20.ARPA (see file
          PD1:<msdos>files.idx for listing of source files)

    SIMTEL20.ARPA can now be accessed access from BITNET is via
       LISTSERV@RPICICGE.BITNET using LISTSERV Commands

      INFO-IBMPC BBS Phone Numbers: (213) 827-2635 and (213) 827-2515

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 88 13:32 N
From: <HANIA%HENTHT5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Bug in Turbo C 1.5's TCINST program

> This problem seems to affect the "colour" changes *only*, the changes I made
> to the directories and options setting in TCINST were all saved properly and
> were in effect when I started up the modified version of TC.EXE.
>
> This is happening on an IBM-PC with a monochrome monitor on a MDA (if that
> matters).  The version of Turbo C 1.5 I used has all its files dated
> 12-10-87

Well sure it likely to matter. Since your MDA is only able to display
normal, underline, bold and blink attributes you won't notice any
difference when trying to change "color". Take your "TCINST-ed" copy to a
machine with CGA, EGA or whatever color adaptor card and you will see the
difference.

Simon Hania - HANIA@HENTHT5.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1988 09:46 EDT
From: Stan Horwitz <V4039%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Calendar

    I wrote a program which uses the day of week function you discussed.
In any case, being a former student of mathematics, that formula came up
in a discussion in a number theory course I once had.

    The formula starts with March as the base month and takes into account
all leap years and is perpetual as long as the current calendar scheme is
being used.  This formula requires very little information to be of use.

The book in my number theory course used it to deduce the day of week
given a particular date, but it can be rearranged quite simply using basic
algebra to yield other information.  In any case, the Pascal program I
wrote makes excellent use of that formula and you will receive it shortly.

srh

[Pending approval by the various authors, I'll put the various programs in the
Info-IBMPC Lending Library for general lending.  I'll post a note when ap-
proval is received.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 88 12:33:09 EST
From: barratt@dash.mitre.arpa (Jeff Barratt)
Subject: Communication packages and carrier detect

Ron Picard asked about a comm package that won't hang up if there is no
carrier detected.

I use Zcomm, a shareware package ($40) from Omen Technology. Available on
SIMTEL20 in the msdos.modem directory.

You can ask Zcomm to ignore carrier detect, as well as doing a seemingly
endless variety of other things.  The user interface is difficult, but
worth it if you have to do anything at all unusual.

The full address is:
Omen Technology, Inc.
17505 Northwest Sauvie Island Road
Portland, Oregon 97231
Voice telephone: 503-621-3406

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 88 12:51:40 +0100
From: Andre PIRARD <A-PIRARD%BLIULG11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Enhanced F11/F12 TSR Submitted

We have had problems using F11F12 from Brian Hess@MIT-Multics.ARPA with
Turbo C. It appears that Turbo C looks at the keyboard codes returned by
the keyboard test function, whereas Brian's F11F12 converts the extended
keypad codes "back to normal" only for the keyboard read.

Reminder: Brian's program allows any program access to the scan codes
generated by the new F11 F12 keys.

Here is a slightly modified version fixing the problem:

F11F12.ASM
;
This tiny TSR fixes the BIOS call to get characters from the keyboard so that
F11 and F12 are returned.  It does this by mapping the "old" calls to the
"new" calls, which are upwardly-compatible with the old ones (after mapping
the arrow keys back to the normal zero-code).

[F11F12.ASM has been added to the Info-IBMPC Lending Library in SIMTEL20 file
PD1:<MSDOS.KEYBOARD>F11F12.ASM.  GPH]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 88 14:15:37 SET
From: EDB85007%NOBIVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: HD problems on IBM model 50/60

Several of our IBM PS/2 model 60's occationally (that is, once every
third/fourth time you turn it off) beep at you and display the error codes
161 and/or 163, meaning "date and time not set" end "configuration not
set".

Solution: automatic reconfiguring using configuration diskette, setting
date and time - and leaving the d****d thing on....

Help from IBM: "Well - you have to reconfigure using the configuration
diskette....".  About two weeks ago we received a chip to replace one on
the HD controller - and a letter saying that "very seldom" hard disk
errors might occur on models 60 and 80 due to errors in the microcode on
the HD controller.  According to the letter, the errors would occur so
seldom that the problem would only be relevant on machines beeing used as
network file servers.

....  So long,         ....  Net   : EDB85007@NOBIVM.EARN           ....
....                   ....  Compuserve : 71361,3425                ....
....       Espen       ....  Snail : Espen Andersen                 ....
...........................          Computing Centre               ....
....                   ....          Norw. School of Management     ....
....  (This space      ....          Box 69, 1341 Bekkestua, NORWAY ....
....     for rent)     ....  Bell  : +47 2 12 30 50 ext. 339        ....

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 88 02:58:45 PLT
From: Wim Bonner <27313853%WSUVM1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Hard Cards

I have a Plus Development 40 meg Hard Card.  It is crammed into my one
long slot in my IBM PC Portable.  It was pricey at $869 when I bought it,
but the rated shock value and the magazine reveiws convinced me that it
was what I wanted.  I Don't know that I would have been willing to spend
nearly as much if my computer did not have to travel though.

The main thing that I'm worried about is the heat buildup, as I had not
previusly had a hard disk, and the insides of my machine are very cramped.
I haven't seemed to have any problems so far, and I've had it since
November 1987 in constant use.

------------------------------

Date: 16 Feb 88 10:03:35 PST
From: Gregory Hicks - COMFLEACT <hicks@Walker-EMH.arpa>
Subject: OS/2 Product Numbers/Upgrade Request Form

I saw an article in PC World that I thought said requests for upgrades to
OS/2 would only be accepted until the end of February.  I was wrong!
After contacting IBM in San Jose, I received a bunch of information.  In
the interests of reducing mail (S-nail Type), I submit the following for
information.

   PROGRAM                                                    ONE-TIME
   NAME/NUMBER                   ORDER TYPE                   CHARGE

   Operating System/2 Standard Edition Version 1.0
      6280196     Program Package (3 1/2-inch)                 $325
      6280198     Program Package (5 1/4-inch)                  325
      6280218     Additional Licenses                           290
      6280216     Documentation Only                             35

   OS/2 Standard Edition Version 1.1
      6280194     Program Package  (3 1/2-inch)                 325
      6280195     Program Package (5 1/4-inch)                  325
      6280220     Additional Licenses                           290
      6280217     Documentation Only                             35

   Transitional Offering to Operating System/2 Version 1.0
      6280197     Program Package (3 1/2-inch)                  200
      6280199     Program Package (5 1/4-inch)                  200

   Operating System/2 Programmer Toolkit Version 1.0
      6280200     Program Package                               750

   Operating System/2 Technical Reference Version 1.0
      6280201     Program Package                               200

   OS/2 Programmer Toolkit Version 1.1
      6280211     Program Package                               750

   OS/2 Technical Reference Version 1.1
      6280212     Program Package                               200

          IBM OPERATING SYSTEM/2 STANDARD EDITION
      TRANSITIONAL OFFERING CERTIFICATION AND ORDER FORM

    If you want to upgrade your DOS 3.X to OS/2 with the Transition Offer, the
upgrade will be made on a one-for-one basis.  That is, ONE upgrade may be or-
dered for each proof of license provided.  If desired, additional licenses may
be ordered.  Proof of license is discussed with the transition order form.

    This IBM Operating System/2 transitional offering applies only for
licenses granted in the United States and/or Puerto Rico.  This offer will
expire June 30, 1988.

     CUSTOMER
     NAME                                            NUMBER
     SHIPPING ADDRESS

                By
                     Authorized Signature                 Date
                     Name (Print or Type)

              IBM OPERATING SYSTEM/2 STANDARD EDITION
                  TRANSITIONAL OFFERING ORDER FORM

     This form, when accompanied by the white title page of the User's
Reference for IBM DOS 3.0, 3.10, 3.20 or 3.30, entitles you to obtain the
transitional offering software and documentation for IBM Operating
System/2 Standard Edition.

     Proof of license is the white title page of the DOS Reference Manual
Version 3.00, 3.10, 3.20 or 3.30.  You must send an original paper page
for each transitional offering ordered.  No photocopies will be accepted.

          TRANSITIONAL OFFERING TO BE DELIVERED TO:
   Name      __________________________________________________________
   Company   ______________________________Dept. _______  Loc _______
   Address   __________________________________________________________
   City      ______________________________State _______  Zip _______
   County    ______________________________
   Indicate quantity:
   _____    IBM Operating System/2 Standard Edition
            transitional offerings
            (Enclose the original white title page for DOS Reference Man
            Version 3.00, 3.10, 3.20, or 3.30)
          Compute payment as follows:
   _____    $200 for each IBM Operating System/2 Standard Edition
            transitional offering (3 1/2-inch diskette 6280197)
   _____    $200 for each IBM Operating System/2 Standard Edition
            transitional offering (5 1/4-inch diskette 6280199)
   _____    Applicable state and local sales tax (or Tax Exemption
            ID Number)
   _____    Total enclosed

          Please mail the following:

   1.  Check or money order (no purchase orders accepted)

   2.  Your correct state and local sales taxes, or enter your
       tax-exempt number here _______________.

   3.  Proof of License for each upgrade ordered

   4.  A signed order form to:

       Transitional Offering
       IBM Corporation
       Information Systems Group
       Post Office Box 3374
       Wallingford, CT  06494

          (Please allow four to six weeks for delivery.  Failure to
   enclose the above four items will delay your order.)

          IBM extends this offer only to licensees of IBM Disk Operating
   System (DOS) residing in the United States or Puerto Rico.  IBM will
   fill requests which are postmarked on or before June 30, 1988.

                  Signature______________________________
                       (Unsigned certificates cannot be processed.)
                  Date_______________________________

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1988  14:30 EST
From: LENOIL@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU
Subject: Putting globals in DGROUP

    From: Bob Babcock <PEPRBV%CFAAMP.BITNET at husc6.harvard.EDU>
    Re:   Caution for those considering MSC 5.0

    I ran into just the opposite problem.  Having just purchased Turbo-C 1.5
and MSC 5.0 as possible replacements for Computer Innovations C86, I found
that some global variables which were in DGROUP under Turbo-C were put into
another segment by MSC.  This caused my assembly language subroutines to
quickly go south.  I would have expected the linker to warn me that something
was wrong, but it didn't.  Anyway, my question is: can I force MSC 5.0 to put
all global variables into DGROUP when using the large model?  The manual seems
to indicate that only initialized global data will go here, but isn't all
global data implicitly initialized to zero if not otherwise specified?

     First of all, the value of an uninitialized variable is *undefined*;
so sayeth the C language specification.  In MSC large model, you can force
a variable to be in DGROUP by adding the "near" keyword before the
variable name.  For example, if foo was a global pointer to a char, you
can define foo to be near with the following: char * near foo;

     Note the difference between the above and "char near * foo;", which
says that foo is a near pointer to a char, but that foo itself is not in
DGROUP.  "char near * near foo;" would make foo a near pointer that
resides in DGROUP.

Got that?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 88 11:39 PDT
From: <RAUSEO%UCLACH.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Receiving NETDATA binary files on BITNET VMS hosts running JNet

  I have successfully picked up files from the CCUC server and from
LISTSERV@RPICICGE without using a decoder on my PC.  If your VAX
installation is using JNet 3.0 or later for its BITNET software, then I
believe that you can do the same.

  The procedure I use is this:

1) When I request a file from CCUC or from RPICICGE I set no flags but get
the file in the default format set by the server.

2) If when you run the receive utility the class of the file is listed as
"PUN N"  then when you "RECEIVE" or "COPY" the file you must specify the
/BINARY option.

3) Once the file exists on your VAX directory, you may still not be out of
the woods.  Your VAX may set the file to have an implicit CR_LF
combination at the end of each record as a default.  It does not actually
exist as such, but the VAX will add these characters when you kermit it to
your PC.  You must use the CONVERT utility on the VAX to convert the
carriage control of the file from CR_LF to None.  (You create a *.FDL file
using the Edit/FDL utility and then Convert the file you obtained from the
network using that *.FDL file.  This may all sound like a lot of work, but
it is reasonably well documented for the VAX, and you only need to create
this FDL file once.  Your local systems people should be able to help
you.)

4) Bingo! Once you kermit this converted file to your PC, the file should
un-archive successfully.

Hope this helps.

Steve Rauseo (RAUSEO@UCLACH.bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 88 12:24:58 EST
From: barratt@dash.mitre.arpa (Jeff Barratt)
Subject: Speed of 80287

K. Keyte asked (V7, #13) about 80287 speeds.  Most (all?) AT clones do run
the 80287 at 1/3 the speed of the main processor -- the catch is that the
main processor speed is twice (2*) the usual stated speed.  For example,
my 10 Mhz clone drives the 286 at 20 MHz and the 287 at 6.66 MHz (1/3 of
20...).

I bought a 287 from Microway.  When I asked them the same question, they
recommended a 6 MHz rated chip, saying that it is conservatively rated
and I should have no problem.  They accept returns/exchanges if it doesn't
work and supply a nice test program that you can run every so often to
check it.

The chip has worked fine for over a year. Runs hot, but never a problem.
I have no affiliation with Microway, etc......

Jeff Barratt

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped,
 indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered."

- The Prisoner

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------