hicks@WALKER-EMH.ARPA (Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS) (03/04/88)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Tue, 2 Mar 88        Volume 7 : Issue  19

This Week's Editor: Gregory Hicks -- Chinhae Korea <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>

Today's Topics:
                                 80486 rumors
                       Protecting System Configurations
                               MSC 5.0 Bug Fix
                           NROFF-like DOS formatter
              Quick reference list to SIMTEL20 MSDOS directories
               SHAR ported to MSDOS now available from SIMTEL20
                            SCRIBE Text Formatter
                       UUCP products for PC-DOS Summary
                   TENEX Conversion FTP Utility for the PC
Today's Queries:
                           Expressware FILE EXPRESS
                              Co-computer boards
                    Epsilon Mouse Support needed (mouse.e)
                           Downloading Difficulties
                           FTP problem at SIMTEL20
            Memory Resident Terminal Emulator (TSR Modem Program)
                        Microsoft Quick C for a PC Jr.
                      Missing author of PICNIX utilities
                   Printed-Circuit CAD Programs for IBM-PC
                       Public Domain LEX & YACC wanted
                              Looking for a BBS
                                 BinkleyTerm
                                Screen filters
                             DOS 3.2 Patch Wanted

Info-IBMPC Lending Library is available from:

    Bitnet via server at CCUC; and from SIMTEL20.ARPA (see file
          PD1:<msdos>files.idx for listing of source files)

    SIMTEL20.ARPA can now be accessed access from BITNET is via
       LISTSERV@RPICICGE.BITNET using LISTSERV Commands

      INFO-IBMPC BBS Phone Numbers: (213) 827-2635 and (213) 827-2515

Date: 11 Feb 88 00:27:00 GMT
From: madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost)
Subject: 80486 rumors

>Date: Tue, 26 Jan 88 01:24:21 +0100
>From: mcvax!olnl1!inno@uunet.UU.NET
>
>While the 386-wave is overwhelming computerland, the first rumours of the
>Intel 80486 are popping up.  Does anybody out there in netland know some-
>thing more about this next hot item ?
>
>                         Inno Frencken
>                         Olivetti Nederland BV

What it will do is beyond me, but I'd say that a rather large ad in the
Feb 7, 1988 Boston Globe that had the catchy title "80486" might make a
few people believe that it's being worked on.  The ad basically said that
Intel was looking for a few good designers.

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

------------------------------

Date: 21 Feb 88 17:35:24 GMT
From: madd@bu-cs.bu.edu (Jim Frost)
Subject: Protecting System Configurations

>From: Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>
>Subject: Protecting system configurations

>I have never tried to set the protection for AUTOEXEC.BAT to hidden or
>SYSTEM, but it may work...

I've played with attributes and have found that MS-DOS will not find
hidden or system files (either executable or batch).  Using attrib to make
your files read only is probably a good idea, although it obviously won't
stop someone who really wants to change something.

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

------------------------------

Date: 17 Feb 88 22:18:06 GMT
From: Henry Spencer <henry@utzoo.uucp>
Subject: MSC 5.0 Bug Fix

> Compiler  apparently does not like eof markers that are at the end of
> the last line in a file.  Error c1004 results. Putting a cr-lf at the
> end of the file solved the problem.

Compiler is doing it right, although the complaint is perhaps undesirably
cryptic.  X3J11:  "A source file that is not empty shall end in a new-line
character."  (Page 6, line 38, 11 Jan 1988 draft)

--
Those who do not understand Unix are |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
condemned to reinvent it, poorly.    | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Feb 88 10:30:22 pst
From: Jeff Lo <elan!jlo@ames.arc.nasa.gov>
Subject: NROFF-like DOS formatter

> Date: Thu, 11 Feb 88 10:54:53 CST
> From: mlw@ncsc.ARPA (Williams)
>
> Is anyone aware of a text formatter that uses NROFF's command structure?
>
> Mark L. Williams
> (mlw@ncsc.arpa)

NROFF/PC is a port of the AT&T Documenter's WorkBench nroff to MS-DOS. It
is available from Elan Computer Group @ $99. For more information, write
or call.

                    Jeff Lo
                    Elan Computer Group, Inc.
                    410 Cambridge Avenue, Suite A
                    Palo Alto, CA 94306
                    (415) 322-2450
                    ..!{ames,hplabs}!elan!jlo

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1988  21:19 MST
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: Quick reference list to SIMTEL20 MSDOS directories

Quick reference list to SIMTEL20's PD1:<MSDOS.x> directories as of
February 19, 1988 (where 'x' is one of the names below):

ARC-LBR       DESKPUB       GRAPHICS      NETWORK       SQ-USQ
ARCNET-PCIP   DIRUTL        HAMRADIO      PACKET        STARTER
ASMUTL        DISASM        KA9Q-TCPIP    PC-JR         SURFMODL
AT            DSKUTL        KEYBOARD      PCIP          SYSUTL
AUTOCAD       EDITOR        LAN           PCMAG         TELNET
BASIC         EDUCATION     LAPTOP        PCMAIL        TURBO-C
BBS           EGA           LISP          PLOT          TURBOBAS
C             EMULATORS     LOTUS123      PREPROCESS    TURBOPAS
CALCULATOR    FILEDOCS      MAPPING       PRINTER       TXTUTL
CATALOG       FILUTL        MATH          PROCOMM       UUCP
CIS           FLOWCHART     MEMACS        PROLOG        VOICE
COMPATIBLES   FORMGEN       MENU          QBASIC        XLISP
CROSSASM      FORTH         MODEM         QMODEM        ZMODEM
CROSSREF      GAMES         MODULA2       SCREEN
DATABASE      GENIE         MOUSE         SNOBOL4
DESKACCESS    GRAPH         MUSIC         SPREADSHEET

Please note several new directories including Procomm, Qmodem, Zmodem
(DSZ/ZCOMM/YAM) and PCMAG (PC Magazine).

--Keith Petersen
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA
Uucp: {decwrl,harvard,lll-crg,ucbvax,uunet,uw-beaver}!simtel20.arpa!w8sdz

------------------------------

Date: Sunday, 21 February 1988  10:27-MST
From: metavax!osm@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (Owen Scott Medd)
Subject: SHAR ported to MSDOS now available from SIMTEL20

Now available via standard anonymous FTP from SIMTEL20...

Filename            Type  Bytes     CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.FILUTL>
SHAREXE.ARC.2            BINARY    159288  4FA4H

This is Rich Salz's excellant shar/unshar package, ported to MSDOS.  No
bones about it, this is the creme of the crop of shar packages.  Hopefully
you will find this useful.

Sources are available from Rich, the changes I've made will hopefully be
integrated with the master version.

Here is a listing of what's in the ARC:

Name          Length    Stowage    SF   Size now  Date       Time    CRC
============  ========  ========  ====  ========  =========  ======  ====
FINDSRC.EXE      42463  Crunched   30%     29929  28 Dec 87   9:46p  F134
FINDSRC.MAN       2076  Crunched   43%      1198  21 Feb 88   9:59a  AF01
MAKEKIT.EXE      44509  Crunched   29%     31995  28 Dec 87   9:47p  1ADF
MAKEKIT.MAN       4215  Crunched   49%      2160  21 Feb 88   9:59a  BB62
SHAR.EXE         44905  Crunched   29%     32034  28 Dec 87   9:48p  2E24
SHAR.MAN          3435  Crunched   48%      1797  21 Feb 88  10:00a  E425
SHELL.EXE        38537  Crunched   29%     27568  28 Dec 87   9:49p  52AC
SHELL.MAN         1314  Crunched   38%       821  21 Feb 88  10:00a  A1EE
UNSHAR.EXE       42563  Crunched   30%     30136  28 Dec 87   9:48p  7F30
UNSHAR.MAN        2410  Crunched   44%      1358  21 Feb 88  10:00a  CD35
        ====  ========            ====  ========
Total     10    226427             30%    158996

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1988 Feb 17   18:49 EST
From: Bob Babcock   <PEPRBV%CFAAMP.BITNET@husc6.harvard.edu>
Subject: SCRIBE Text Formatter

Daniel Lawrence, nwd@j.cc.PURDUE.EDU, the author of Micro EMACS was
working on an MS-DOS version of Scribe.  6 months ago he was half done,
and I haven't heard anything since then.

------------------------------

Date: 18 Feb 88 22:55 +0500
From: Marc-Andre Pepin <pepin%bond.crim.cdn%ubc.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: UUCP products for PC-DOS Summary

     This is a summary of what I got from this list about a request I made :

>    Does anybody know a package that could connect a PC-DOS system
> to a UNIX system or a VAX/VMS system for electronic mail over a dial-up
line.
> I'm looking for something resembling to a UUCP or PHONENET mail package
> for PC-DOS.

I received many responses, but basically only two products seem to be
available for UUCP on a PC :

 - UUPC : is a free software available for internet users on SIMTEL20.ARPA or
          from UUNET archive in uunet.uu.net:~ftp/uupc/* and for BITNET users
          on LISTSERV@NDSUVM1. There is not much documentation, so you should
          be prepared to read C sources.

 - UULINK : is a commercial product, for more information contact
            lauren@vortex.uucp.

I did not have time to try any of them, but I had good comments on both.

It seems there is no PHONENET like package, since I did not receive any
suggestion on that point.

I would like to thank all the persons who answered to my request for their
help.

--------------------
               Marc-Andre Pepin              de/from :
  =========                                  CDNnet: pepin@bond.crim.cdn
|   -----   |  Centre de Recherche           BITNET: pepin@bond.crim.cdn
|  C R I M  |  Informatique de Montreal      ARPA,CSNET: pepin%bond.
|   -----   |  1500, de Maisonneuve Ouest,                 crim.cdn@ubc.csnet
  =========    Suite 1000, Montreal,         UUCP: pepin%bond.crim.cdn
               Quebec, Canada, H3G 1N2                       %ubc-vision.uucp
               Tel.: (514) 848-3990, telecopieur: (514) 848-8892

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Feb 88 01:13:04 GMT
From: granroth%iowasp.span@Sds.Sdsc.Edu (Larry Granroth 319/335-1960)
Subject: TENEX Conversion FTP Utility for the PC

The following code may come in handy for people who are having difficulty
FTPing binary files from SIMTEL20 or other TOPS-20 systems to MS-DOS PC's.
The program FIX36 was developed on an XT clone with MASM 4.0.  It reads
36-bit groups from standard input and re-packs the data into 32-bit groups
to standard output, removing the 4 extraneous zero bits from each group.

Larry Granroth
GRANROTH%IOWASP.SPAN@SDS  (soon to be GRANROTH@IOWASP.PHYSICS.UIOWA.EDU)

;    FIX36 version 02-18-88  MASM 4.0
;    Copyright (c) 1988 by Larry Granroth
;    This code may be freely distributed for non-commercial purposes
;    only.  Modifications to the code may be made as long as they
;    are clearly documented.
;
;    When doing an image (or binary) type FTP transfer from a TOPS-20
;    system, the resulting file contains 32-bit data packed in 36-bit
;    groups (each with 4 trailing zero bits).

;    This program reads such a file from standard input and
;    repacks the data, removing the extraneous bits, to standard
;    output.  In certain cases, for example VAX/VMS systems running
;    CMU TCP/IP software, the creation of an image file will result
;    in the file being padded out to an integral number of 512-byte
;    blocks.  If this file is moved to a PC and processed with FIX36,
;    it will still have the extra trailing zeros.

;    Note that, if your FTP implementation supports the feature,
;    the correct transfer type is "TYPE L 8", in which case this
;    program would not be needed.
;
;    usage:
;    C> fix36 <infile.bin >outfile.bin

[FIX36.ASM has been added to the Info-IBMPC Lending Library at SIMTEL20
in file PD1:<msdos.network>fix36.asm.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Feb 88 18:58 EST
From: KAPLOWIT@ecs.umass.edu
Subject: Expressware Program named FILE EXPRESS

I am looking for a specific shareware program by Expressware called "File
Express". I have been unable to a copy on any BBS, nor I have been able to
find the address of Expressware. Any help would be appreciated.

                                            Thanks,
                                            Robert A. Kaplowitz
                                            Univ. of Mass/Amherst

                                            CSNET: KAPLOWIT@ECS.UMASS.EDU
                                            BITNET: KAPLOWIT@UMAECS

[There is a program called FILE EXPRESS for sale from the ROLODEX company.  I
have never used it, but a friend of mine purchased it before he came to Korea
and I could ask him for the address.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Feb 88 15:20:52 PST
From: JAJZ801%CALSTATE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU  (JEFFREY SICHERMAN - CALSTATE
LONG BEACH)
Subject: Co-computer boards

   Due to the overwhelming response to my inquiry on printer driver boards
(the corner of my disk reserved for the replies is still empty), and my
own fruitless search, I thought I'd follow up on the addin processor on a
card route. So .... I'd be interested in experiences with cards that have
their own processor and MUST have a parallel printer port (I don't want to
spend money on an extra, SLOW, serial-to-parallel conversion, it's a LINE
PRINTER)

   Note, I also don't think that accelerators fit the bill. These cards
must operate independently and asynchronously from the main processor, not
replace them. Essentially, I want an I-O processor board to off-load the
serial I-O from the main processor and pass it chunks of data via memory
to memory transfers. (I meant serial in the sense of character at a time,
not necessarily RS232, bit at a time). CPM-oriented, z80 based boards
would be acceptable if they meet the other criteria of the printer
interface and memory to memory transfer capability.

  Jeff
  Sicherman

  jajz801@calstate.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Feb 88 22:21:10 EST
From: Frederick Herrmann <fritz@CAF.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Downloading Difficulties

I'm a new member to this interest group, and I'd like to download some of the
public domain software on simtel20.arpa, but once I get it to my pc, it won't
run.

I've been ftp-ing in tenex mode to caf.mit.edu (a unix system), and then using
Kermit (binary mode) to move the files to my pc.

I've tried some of the programs in pd1:<msdos.starter>

arc521.com prints a nice message and says please wait, but you'll wait forever
unless you turn it off and on again.

arce31b.com, uuencode.exe, uudecode.exe  also hang the system, but without
the nice message.

I should mention that ASCII text files come through fine.

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

               Thanks,
                    - Fritz

[Your Unix FTP program should understand the command TYPE L and pass the ap-
propriate commands to the server FTP process.  If you try and specify the byte
size, I found that it won't work.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Feb 88 17:19:32 EST
From: Brian Holmes <BHOLMES%WAYNEST1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: FTP problem at SIMTEL20

I'm having trouble downloading binary files from SIMTEL20.  I've tried
both image mode, and TYPE L 8 with no luck.  When I use image mode I get
more bytes then the file file.idx says it should be.  When I use TYPE L 8
I get a port error and nothing is transfered.  I used image mode on
grape.ecs.clarkson.edu (128.153.13.196) and have no problem transfering
binary files.  Does anyone know what the problem could be?
Brian!

BRIAN_HOLMES%WU@UM.CC.UMICH.EDU
BHOLMES@WAYNEST1.BITNET

[Try the command "TYPE L" for binary files.  The user FTP should know what
commands to pass to the server process to make the transfer come out cor-
rectly.  As I noted in the previous message, I found that if you specify the
byte size, the transfer doesn't work.  (At least, it didn't work on the
machine I have available.)  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Feb 88 13:23:22 EST
From: polish@lexington.columbia.edu (Nathaniel Polish)
Subject: Epsilon Mouse Support needed (mouse.e)

About a year ago there was an EEL module around which extended Epsilon to
support the Microsoft Mouse.  I can not find the  module (I looked at
b.isi.edu and  simtel20.arpa).   Does anyone  have a  copy around?

Thanks
Nat Polish@columbia.edu

[The sub-directory <info-ibmpc.eel> was empty when I mamaged to get to it
and try and retrieve files...  We don't have it any longer.  Does anyone else
on the net?  Sorry.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Feb 88 01:57 AST
From: <JNDPH%ALASKA.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Memory Resident Terminal Emulator (TSR Modem Program)

Does anyone out there know of a memory-resident modem program?  An
attorney friend who uses Timeslips along with Microsoft Word is looking
for a tsr terminal emulation program.  All he needs is a dumb tty
emulator, since the PICK-based system he needs to call can't deal with
anything fancy.  The ability to save incoming text to a file would be
useful, and so would Sidekick compatibility.

I kind of doubt whether loading all these tsr's leaves him much room for
running Word 4.0, but he seems determined to try.

Please send responses to me and I will summarize for the net.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 88 23:54 CST
From: <SMHOPERA%TAMSIGMA.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> (Steve Hicks, 696-3132)
Subject: Microsoft Quick C for a PC Jr.

I was given a PC Jr when one of my relatives purchased another brand
machine.  I have some programs written in Microsoft C that I would like to
change and recompile.  When I purchased and ran Microsoft Quick C,
everytime I typed a key in the editor, the letter was duplicated twice on
the screen.  After talking with Microsoft (transfered 4 times, hung-up on
once, not even toll free) I was told that I would have to return the
product because it would not run on my machine.  It seemed to compile
fine, and the installation procedure from Microsoft didn't seem to care
that I had a Jr.  Does anyone know of a fix for this?

Steve Hicks
SMHOPERATOR@TAMSIGMA or SMH1420@TAMSIGMA

[No...  I don't THINK Steve is a relative of mine...  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Sat Feb 20 23:39:20 1988
From: Dick Flanagan <slvblc!dick@ucscc>
Subject: Missing author of PICNIX utilities

Several people have had donation checks returned because the mailing
address for the author of the PICNIX utilities is no longer valid.

If anyone knows the current whereabouts of PETER STEPHEN HEITMAN, whose
last known mailing address was PO Box 658, Hadley, MA  01035, please let
me know.

Dick

--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD                         GEnie: FLANAGAN
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!slvblc!dick           Voice: +1 408 336 3481

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18-FEB-1988 11:33:56.77 GMT+1
From: <bpme001%DTUZDV5A.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Printed-Circuit CAD Programs for IBM-PC

We would like to buy design system for printed circuits - our boards are
not too big, about 20 IC's. The only low-cost system we know of is
Hiwire-Smartwork; I read about Tango-Pcb, PADS and Criterion in
advertisments, but I do kwow nothing about them.

Has anybody some experience with one of these systems? Is there somewhere
a review that compares them? A friend told me, that none of the systems
below $10000 is worth the price - but he also told me, that there is no
low-cost CAD system that works, and I am quite happy with Generic CAD. Is
there something like Generic CAD for PCB-Design - with schematic editor
and autorouter?

Dieter Menne
Universitaet Tuebingen
Tuebingen
F.R. Germany

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Feb 88 13:50:42 MEZ
From: Edgar Schwietzke <SCHWIETZ%DBNUOR1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Public Domain LEX & YACC wanted

has anybody heard of a public domain YACC and/or LEX for MSDOS-machines?
Any pointers would be appreciated.

Edgar

------------------------------

Date: 18 Feb 88 10:09:19 PST (Thursday)
From: Harry <Habramowski.ES@Xerox.COM>
Subject: Looking for a BBS

     A good friend of mine, Ralph, works for the distribution
department of a corporation in Clifton, N.J..  From time to time he gives
me a call when he's stuck with a problem in using his Compaq 286 or his
PC.  He has a good grasp of his machines and the software he uses: DbaseIII,
Xmodem, Lotus, etc.  His questions are NOT naive questions.

     His latest problem, which I couldn't help him with, involves Dbase III.
And since the kind hearted people at Ashton-Tate now charge their customers
$60/yr for 5 phones calls worth of help, Ralph doesn't have too many choices
after me to find help.  So I suggested he find a Bulletin Board with folks of
similar needs.  But, Ralph doesn't anything about BBS's and frankly I can't
say I do either [other than our net].  But I think you people would.

     Do you know of such BBSs that Ralph could join - either national or
regional BBS's? [Remember, he's in New Jersey.]  How does Ralph get on these
Boards?  Are membership dues involved?  Any and all information that would get
him set-up would be greatly appreciated.

     Please reply back to me, Habramowski.es@Xerox.COM, and I'll forward the
information on to Ralph.  If it's easier to explain in person, I can give you
Ralph's work number.

thanks again gang,
Harry Abramowski

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Feb 88 10:52:54 EST
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@braggvax.arpa>
Subject: BinkleyTerm

NetLandians,

A recent message about WXMODEM mentioned the "BinkleyTerm" package
(available on some Opus systems) which includes source for Zmodem, Xmodem,
Ymodem, and SeaLink protocols.

Does anyone have that package available to them, uploadable to me (for
sure!) and maybe SIMTEL20 (if they want it)?

I could go out and snoop around Opus systems, but I have none local and
the long distance eats me up!

Thanks in advance,
David Kirschbam
Toad Hall
kirsch@braggvax.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Feb 88 15:10:28 PST
From: JAJZ801%CALSTATE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU  (JEFFREY SICHERMAN)
Subject: Screen filters

  This is a little mundane for the net, but I have a friend who want's to
get a screen filter due to significant glare problems. He's kind of
finicky and so wants the *best*. We've narrowed it down to one of the
generic, high quality glass ones that shield from everything under the sun
or the Polaroid CP70 (glass, polarized). It's going to be used on a Nec
EGA monitor so the amount and quality of color coming through is very
important. Any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated, including
specific brands or vendors.

  Jeff Sicherman
  Jajz801@calstate.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Feb 88 08:45:32 EST
From: Bruce_Kahn@MAYTAG.CEO.DG.COM
Subject: DOS 3.2 Patch wanted

  I found the patch but noticed that it said it was for 3.3.  I am using
3.2 and would like to know if the same patch will work (would had to have
to go in and remove the patch the hard way).  Thanks again for the
feedback.

               Bruce Kahn
               Bruce_Kahn%maytag.ceo.dg.com@adam.dg.com

[He's looking for the patch to DOS 3.2 that makes ^W and ^U work again.
I can't help because a) I use DOS 3.1; and b) the file from the Lending
Library that described it was lost when <c.isi.edu> went off the air.]

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------