hicks@WALKER-EMH.ARPA (Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS) (03/17/88)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 28 Feb 88       Volume 7 : Issue  21

This Week's Editor: Gregory Hicks -- Chinhae Korea <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>

Today's Topics:
                             Copyright Revisited
                               Moon Calculation
                              Turbo C vs Quick C
                           NROFF-like DOS formatter
                      Memory Allocation Problem with MSC
                                Random numbers
                           System protection & ftp
                            TurboC: Stupid Linker
                       Protecting System Configurations
Today's Queries:
                       APL Terminal Emulator (part II)
                    35mm Slide Scanner Information Wanted
                                    ZSPOOL
                                   Full FAX
                              Help with MSC 5.0
                        Interrupt vector on 80286(AT)
                            OS/2 on a Tandy1000 TX
                      Satellite coverage program request
                    Schematic Capture/PCB Layout Software
                       NUM-LOCK on enhanced keyboards.
                 Unknown Jumper on AT Compatible Motherboard
                  AWARD/ELT Address/Telephone Numbers Wanted

Info-IBMPC Lending Library is available from:

    Bitnet via server at CCUC; and from SIMTEL20.ARPA (see file
          PD1:<msdos>files.idx for listing of source files)

    SIMTEL20.ARPA can now be accessed access from BITNET is via
       LISTSERV@RPICICGE.BITNET using LISTSERV Commands

      INFO-IBMPC BBS Phone Numbers: (213) 827-2635 and (213) 827-2515

Date: 25 Feb 88 00:49:47 GMT
From: gatech!mcdchg!falkor!heiby@rutgers.edu (Ron Heiby)
Subject: Copyright Revisited

Disclaimer:  I am not a lawyer and not "up" on recent international
          copyright treaty changes.

U.S. Law changed recently such that a work is born copyrighted.  If a
notice does not appear on each published copy, the kinds and amounts of
damages that can be awarded are *much* lower than if the proper notice has
been affixed.

The words "All rights reserved" is required for protection under a
different international copyright convention (I think Pan American, but
don't have my sources handy.).

To protect yourself publishing something, have your notice include a "c in
circle" character (the more and more common practice of using a c in
parentheses in computer files, like (c), has no meaning at all), the year
of publication, the word "Copyright", the name of the copyright holder,
and the words "All rights reserved".  I believe that these things will
protect you wherever intellectual property is protected.

If you are planning to use something written by someone else, make sure
that your use *really* falls under the definition of "fair use", or the
work clearly states that it is in the public domain, or get written
permission from the copyright owner (author or publisher if no notice can
be found) for your use.

-- Ron Heiby, heiby@mcdchg.UUCP
Moderator: comp.newprod & comp.unix

"Intel architectures build character."

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 88 15:28:53 PST
From: CASEY%MIT.MFENET@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject: Moon Calculation

The book "Numerical Recipes" by Press, Flannery, et al has a Julian day
algorithm in the introduction section (as an example of the programming
format used for the analytical subroutines that comprise the rest of the
book).  The routines are available for purchase by Addison Wesley (and are
NOT public domain, in spite of a recent message on this board).  You can
also purchase a disk of example programs driving the subroutines, and
guess what - the example for JULDAY calculates the phase of the moon for
any day.  There is also one paragraph in the book on the calculation,
basically refer to Julian day 2440000 = 5/23/1968.  I don't know if you
need julian day, moon phase, or easter, so this may not help you.  I DO
recommend Numerical Recipes however, for anyone needing analytical tools!

------------------------------

Date: 25 Feb 88 05:39:38 GMT
From: Patrick McCarthy <mccarthy@well.uucp>
Subject: Turbo C vs Quick C

knop@dutesta.UUCP (Peter Knoppers) writes:

> Why, oh why don't the .obj files in MSDOS contain some bits telling
> the linker whether a function in the .obj file expects to be called
> with a FAR or a NEAR call. This can prevent accidentally linking
> modules compiled for different models.

Fortunately, most of the time this will result in fixup overflow errors at
link time. Using make is an excellent way to avoid this problem altogether
(though many consider it a major pain for single module programs).

Pat McCarthy
Reply: mccarthy@well.UUCP

------------------------------

Date: 23 Feb 88 06:56:47 GMT
From: Barnacle Wes <wes@obie.uucp>
Subject: NROFF-like DOS formatter

hicks@walker-emh.arpa (Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS) writes:

> Subject: NROFF-like DOS formatter
>
> Is anyone aware of a text formatter that uses NROFF's command structure?
> PD is nice, but not essential.

Yah, look in Dr. Dobb's Journal for the advertisements for M&T Publishing
ad.  Call them and tell them you want their book on "NR".  NR is an
nroff-clone written by Allen Holub, the author of Dr.  Dobb's C-Chest
column.  NR is supposed to be 99% compatible with nroff code, and includes
two of the popular macro packages for nroff.  You get the source, and it's
only like $40~$50.

--
    /\              -  "Against Stupidity,  -    {backbones}!
   /\/\  .    /\    -  The Gods Themselves  -  utah-cs!utah-gr!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 88 14:09:12 EST
From: Shuo Huang <hs@eevlsi.ee.columbia.edu>
Subject: Memory Allocation Problem with MSC

In Info-ibmpc Digest V7 #15, From: MHARRIS@G.BBN.COM, Michael Harris wrote:

> I am having lots of trouble with calloc()......

I have had a lot experience using calloc() function with MSC4.0, MSC5.0,
and Turbo C. With any of the above compilers I did not have any problem at
all.  I think probably you did not use the function correct. Here are two
suggestions:

1) Be sure to include appropriate header file at beginning. The header
file name depends on what compiler you use. In MSC, you need

     #include  <malloc.h>

while in Turbo C, you need

     #include  <alloc.h>

2) Be sure to use correct variable type when using calloc() function. For
   convenience, I always define a macro in front:

     #define        myalloc(a,b)   (b *) calloc((unsigned)(a),sizeof(b))

   After this, I can use calloc() function by the way as in the following
   example:

     int  *new;

     new=myalloc(200,int);
     if(new==NULL) error();

I hope you will solve your problem. Or send me Email to discuss.

hs%eevlsi.ee@cu20b.columbia.edu

------------------------------

Date: 23 Feb 88 11:38
From: dantowitz%eagle1.DEC@decwrl.dec.com (David)
Subject: Random numbers

    In using the random number generator below the value returned by Rand
is an integer, BUT, it should be treated as the numerator of a fraction
with a divisor of 32768!!!!

    So, let X = Rand ()/32768;  (a floating point value)

    Now 0 <= X < 1.

    To get a random number from 0 to Y-1 multiply each element of the
equation by Y, which yields:

    0 <= X*Y < Y.

    So your random number is REALLY:

         Rand() * Y
         ----------
           32768

    If you want 1 random bit DO NOT use the low bit returned by Rand!  Use
the high bit!!

    To get a random number of 1 bit what you are really doing is using a
value of 2 for Y, so you get:

      Rand()*2
      --------
       32768

    This is basically the high bit of Rand.  The same holds if you want 2
random bits.  Use the High bits.

    The MOST random bits are the high bits.  The low bits follow a short
loop and for most purposes are NOT sufficiently random for ANY
application.

    On 32-bit systems I have seen a variation on the Rand function
below.  The system I remember most recently returned the low 31 bits that
resulted from the multiply operation.

    Be sure to read the documentation for the Rand function in your
library and note the range of values it returns (to be sure that you have
the correct denominator).

    Remember that although the documentation says the numbers are
"random", the low-bits are NOT "random" at all.

    Be careful who you trust when someone gives you a random number
generator.  They tend to be passed down from "generation" to "generation"
without anyone checking the validity of the generator.

    Knuth is a good source of information for this stuff.

David Dantowitz

     static unsigned long int next = 1;

     int rand(void)
     {
          next = next * 1103515245 + 12345;
          return (unsigned int)(next/65536) % 32768;
     }

     void srand(unsigned int seed)
     {
          next = seed;
     }

------------------------------

Date: 25-FEB-1988 10:49:00 GMT +01:00
From: BFDF2544%vax1.centre.queens-belfast.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Subject: System protection & ftp

Many thanks for your recent messages.

(1) FTP from BITNET: I tried out your suggestion and am pleased to report
success!

(2) System protection: It appears hopeless the view being that a new BIOS
would be needed to prohibit boot from anything but HD and inhibit
Ctrl-break.

Best wishes,

Tom Patterson
Queen's University,
Belfast.

------------------------------

Date: 23 Feb 88 07:46:47 GMT
From: Urs Zurbuchen <zu@ethz.uucp>
Subject: TurboC: Stupid Linker

aja@i.cc.purdue.edu (Miek Rowan) writes:
>> I had this problem also last summer (Version 1.0).  I called the Borland
>> folks.  They told me what was wrong and how to cope with it.  The problem
>> is Borland's tlink.  The solution that the Borland folks recommended is
>> to use a recent version of Microsoft's link.  I did and it worked.  Keep
>> in mind that without using tlink, you have to use command line mode

I read in the manual to Data&Windows that the Turbo-C linker tlink does
NOT report unresolved externals. Can anybody confirm? Or proof the
contrary (which would be much better for Borland).

          Regards,
          ...urs

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 88 01:58:29 EST
From: madd%bu-cs.BU.EDU@eddie.mit.edu (Jim Frost)
Subject: Protecting System Configurations

In Info-IBMPC Digest Volume 7 : Issue  16:

>From: Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>
>Subject: Protecting system configurations

>I have never tried to set the protection for AUTOEXEC.BAT to hidden or
>SYSTEM, but it may work...

I've played with attributes and have found that MS-DOS will not find
hidden or system files (either executable or batch).  Using attrib to make
your files read only is probably a good idea, although it obviously won't
stop someone who really wants to change something.

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 88 11:41 EST
From: <AC011021%YUVULCAN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: APL Terminal Emulator (part II)

Greetings,

        My thanks to those who responded to my initial plea for help with
an APL terminal emulator.  The best suggestion was to use a facility to
edit and remap the characters in memory and to the keyboard.  As a result,
I've been able to get the entire APL character set defined and mapped
correctly in the character generator (haven't tried to download characters
to a printer yet).  Unfortunately, I've come across a slight snag:

    In APL, many of the functions are made up of overstruck characters ie)
symbol overstruck with another symbol, which is now starting to get
difficult.  The IBM system doesn't allow overstruck characters on the
screen and so the overstiking character just erases the previous
character.  So far, I'm considering just defining a whole bunch of new
characters as macros, but am not sure about a few things.  Creating the
characters is no problem, as it is a simple matter to use some of the
unused ASCII definitions as the special overstruck characters.  However,
the problem is to make the communications program send a sequence of
characters ie) ASCII(68)<BS>ASCII(87), etc, filter the echoed characters
(prevent them from showing up on the screen) and produce the predefined
character on the screen.

   Does anyone have much experience doing this sort of thing?  If so,
which comm program are you using and how did you go about it?  I'd
especially be interested in hearing from anyone who is using Telix (my pgm
of choice), but am willing to listen to anyone.

Thanks in advance,

Dave Klein.
Bitnet: (AC011021@YUVULCAN)

------------------------------

Date: 25 Feb 88   12:15 EST
From: H156004%NJECNVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: 35mm Slide Scanner Information Wanted

I know! I know! I should keep all of my magazine articles nicely
cross-listed in some DBMS program -- but I don't.

Within the last few months, I read a short announcement of a scanner for
35mm photographic slides with the unlikely name of BARNEY-SCOPE. I cannot
find the article and need the reference. The unit scanned 35mm slides --
color or bw -- and brought the image into the PC through a paint program.

Will some of you organized folks out there look in your databases and find
the article and send me the reference or the address/phone of the company.
If any readers have any experience with this or other slide scanners, I'd
like to hear your opinions.

Ken Tompkins
Stockton State College
H156004@NJECNVM

------------------------------

Date:         Fri, 26 Feb 88 13:38:59 EST
From:         Jim Tedeschi <JTT58@ALBNYVM1.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject:      zspool

I have zspool in extended memory on my Zenith 159.  This is nice because
it allows me to hum along with WordPerfect while printing documents.
However, it is a pain when I want to stop printing because I find an error
or for some other reason.  How do I disable Zspool?  Can I do it w/o
getting out of WordPerfect?  Any help will be appreciated.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Feb 88 11:37 EST
From: BEZAHLER@wharton.upenn.edu
Subject: full FAX

Hi,

  I was curious whether any IBM users had experience with PC Fax cards
such as  JT-FAX, Fax-Mail96, SmartFax or Executive Fax. This allows your
computer to be used as a Fax station, potentially improving the quality of
the information received by sending to a dot or laser printer, and
integrated the text information with other applications. Thankyou very
much!

                       -Mb

------------------------------

Date: 24 Feb 88 04:06:10 GMT
From: Rick Grubin <grubin@tramp.Colorado.EDU>
Subject: Help with MSC 5.0

I need some help with MSC 5.0.  Specifically, I need a way to get what's
currently stored in the `scratch registers' of the cpu (ie. AX, BX, etc).
Is there a way to do this with MSC (bypassing assembler)?  I know I can
get the segment registers, but I need the scratch registers.

I've looked at the int86* and intdos* calls, but I'm not sure these will
do what I want, since these calls request an interrupt to be served and
execute a DOS call.  Also, are these interrupt routines useful in any way
for setting (and deleting) breakpoints in a program?

Can anyone give me a hand?  Please reply via e-mail if the response is
lengthy, and I shall summarize if interest warrants.

Thanks much in advance.

Rick Grubin, Academic Computing Services, University of Colorado, Boulder
                        grubin@tramp.Colorado.EDU
           ...{nbires,hao,ihnp4}!boulder!tramp!grubin

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 88 00:18:17 EST
From: elh@caen.engin.umich.edu (Erliang Han 000-30-2442)
Subject: Interrupt vector on 80286(AT)

Anyone can tell me what's the difference between XT and AT on IRQ vectors?
I used to use Analog to Digital conversion Done signal to invoke the IRQ4
vector of on XT with no problem. But when I use the same program on an AT
the program halted and I have to try a cold reboot.

Thanks in advance.
Erliang_Han@ub.cc.umich.edu
University of Michigan

------------------------------

Date: 25 Feb 88 11:32 -0600
From: Daniel Keizer <busu%cc.uofm.cdn%ean.ubc.ca@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: OS/2 on a Tandy1000 TX

I am wondering if the Tandy 1000 TX can run OS/2.  The RS catalogue shows
the TX as having a 286.  It also shows all the other 286 machines they
have as having AT card slots, and claims them able to run OS/2.  Such is
not the case for the TX.  No mention is made for the TX on it's ability to
run OS/2, and no mention is made that it has AT slots.  So, one would
think that it cannot run OS/2 and it does not have AT slots.  Is there a
relationship with having AT slots and being able to run OS/2?

I would be intersted in hearing about some comments and responses.

I don't own one nor do I wish to own one, but someone is seeking some info
on the beast.

Thanks to all.
Dan Keizer
BUSU@CC.UOFM.CDN
BUSU@UOFMCC.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Feb 88 09:09:04 EST
From: cperry%bert.mitre.org@gateway.mitre.org
Subject: Satellite coverage program request

I'm looking for a program, preferably shareware or public domain, that
overlays satellite spot antenna beam coutours on an earth map using a PC.

I'm making this inquiry for a friend.  Please send replies to
"cperry@gateway.mitre.org".  Thanks very much.

Chris Perry

------------------------------

Date: 25 Feb 88 00:54:00 GMT
From: Phil Biehl <philb%orca.gwd.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Schematic Capture/PCB Layout Software

    I'm looking for a schematic capture and printed circuit board layout
package that can run on my AT clone. I'm looking for recommendations on
the various systems offered out there. Any and all assistance is
appreciated.

     Thanks muchly,

     Phil Biehl, N7FWL

usenet:        ...!{decvax,hplabs,zehntel,reed,uw-beaver}!tektronix!orca!philb
arpanet:  philb%orca%tektronix@csnet-relay.arpa
csnet:         philb%orca@tektronix.csnet
work ph:  (503)685-2122
mail:          Tektronix Inc., IDG MS 61-033, POB 1000, Wilsonville OR 97070

------------------------------

Date:         Mon, 22 Feb 88 17:56:39 LCL
From:         David Gardner <HQDG@PSUORVM>
Subject:      NUM-LOCK on enhanced keyboards.

I noticed a program that was supposed to set the num-lock key off and
would end the annoying problem of having the darned thing on after
booting, I almost always want it off.  Unfortunately a value of I believe
417 was given which is either decimal and needs to be converted to hex or
else I don't know.  I tried contacting the person who listed the program
but their address seems unreachable?????   Anyway anyone out there have a
solution?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 88 13:16:06 PST
From: Dixon_Low%SFU.Mailnet@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Unknown Jumper on AT Compatible Motherboard

There is a jumper setting on my AT compatible motherboard whose purpose is
not clearly documented in the manual.

The description given for the jumper is :

     82C206 INPUT Clock Selectable

The jumper selects either DMA CLK, or SYS CLK

In the SYS CLK setting my system will not format diskettes in the high
speed mode (13 mhz).

Does anybody know what this jumper is for and the consequences of each of
the settings?   Thank You.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 88 13:12:00 PST
From: Dixon_Low%SFU.Mailnet@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject:  AWARD/ELT Address/Telephone Numbers Wanted

Does anybody have an address and/or phone # to any of the following:

 1)  Award (the BIOS designers)

 2)  ELT (makers of the ELT-286B 1300 AT motherboards)

Thanks.

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------