hicks@WALKER-EMH.ARPA (Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS) (05/01/88)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Wed,  9 Mar 88       Volume 7 : Issue  23

This Week's Editor: Gregory Hicks -- Chinhae Korea <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>

Today's Topics:
                                Administrivia
                         Bible (KJV) on disk (3 msgs)
               AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS Read-only and Hidden
                           Kermit + Hayes Response
                      Some More Virus Infected Programs
                          Sort-of Public Domain YACC
                   Suggestions for fighting software piracy
                  Altering AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files
Today's Queries:
                          A 6502 Disassembler Wanted
                           Autocad Discussion List
                Command Line Parameters for MS Fortran 4.0(1)
                                 EGA and ANSI
                                Lib file query
                             Microsoft Assembler
                           Modem for use in Germany
                 Plotting graphs on a PC, from a 'C' program
                           Queries on Text Readers
     Program availability: File Express, TSR Terminal Emulator and BBS's
                 SANYO MBC-17+ AT-compatible computer 80286.
                         Tandy 1000SX memory upgrade
                 Two hard disks, two controllers, one machine

Info-IBMPC Lending Library is available from:

    Bitnet via server at CCUC; and from SIMTEL20.ARPA (see file
          PD1:<msdos>files.idx for listing of source files)

    SIMTEL20.ARPA can now be accessed access from BITNET is via
       LISTSERV@RPICICGE.BITNET using LISTSERV Commands

    INFO-IBMPC BBS Phone Numbers: (213) 827-2635 and (213) 827-2515

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 88 17:38I
From: "Gregory Hicks - COMFLEACT" <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>
Subject: Administrivia

I have to apologize for the EXTREME delay in getting this issue of the
Info-IBMPC Digest out to all of you.  Perhaps the following message I sent
to another user will help clear the air.

About mid-February, our system administrator tried to bring up a new
system.  As you may or may not know, Walker-EMH.arpa is a C-70
mini-computer.  Recently, our operating system was upgraded from a VERY
old version of Unix to a newer version of BBN's Unix, v8.x.x... (BBN are
the people that did a majority of the development for the ARPAnet in the
early '70's)   While that was in progress, the mailer was trying to do a
mailing on the digest.  Need- less to say, we had massive system problems.

    To compound this, I tried to do a mailing to the Info-IBMPC
Distribution List just before the system went down for upgrade.  The
system was up and down like a yo-yo for about a week whilst bring up the
new OS.  When it finally came back up, the mail was outdated (ie more than
4 days old).  ALL of it was returned to me in 'my' mailbox.

    Complicating this was a failing hard disk drive at the host.  The
returned mail (750+ copies times 20kb) ate up the majority of the space
available on the remaining drive to the point where the system could not
operate.  I lost my system access that permitted me to publish the
newsletter because "I crashed the system."   (AND I did.  I apologize for
this, but the 'crash' was not intentional, just a minor bug in the
implementation of the smtp mailer...)

    The access has been restored.  I'm going through the mailing list and
removing those hosts that are "down more than 4 days." as reported by the
mailer.  I expect to be finished by this weekend.  In addition to this,
I'm asking all the hosts on the list to make a local exploder/distribution
list/whatever they may be called when there are more than three local sub-
scribers.  That'll also reduce the load on the mailer...  (Both of these
ac- tions have been completed.)

Sorry for the delay.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

-------------------------------

Date: Thu, 03 Mar 88 17:53:19 EDT
From: Dimitri Vulis <CLDLV%NASAGISS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Bible (KJV) on disk

I saw KJV on a bunch of floppies at a recent computer show offered by one
of them PD software outfits for $60.  I did not buy it because 1) the
price was excessive for a PD text and 2) I strongly dislike KJV, I'd
prefer RSV.  I'd probably pay $60 for RSV, in fact.  I don't have their
name, but if one of them has is, so do the others.   Try calling outfits
like PC-SIG.

I don't know if the programs advertized at $150 include only the text
(presumably KJV, since RSV is (c)) or they also have some sort of
cross-reference.  I have a very nice Russian bible where about 40% of all
verses have a xref in the margin, like for instance Matthew 9,9 points to
Hosea 6,6, Matthew 12,7 and Luke 5,32.  I'm not into bible studies, but
someone who is would probably greatly benefit from this kind of this, and
a computer is an ideal tool for that.  If they have that, it might be
worth the extra $$$, otherwise the $150 is a ripoff.

It sounds from your message that you don't really need the xref, just the
text itself.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 02 Mar 88 14:53:46 CST
From: "Lee Schneider" <MATHPG2%UMCVMB.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Bible on disk

I think I saw something in the PC-SIG literature recently about a King
James version Bible on disk.  I think it was just a bunch of text files,
not something with built-in search capabilities or anything.  I don't know
the disk numbers or PC-SIG's address offhand; if you would like more info
let me know and I'll try to look it up.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 04 Mar 88 00:22:19 CST
From: "Lee Schneider" <MATHPG2%UMCVMB.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Bible (KJV) on a Disk

You can obtain the King James Bible on disk on a 7 disk set (disk numbers
766 thru 772) at $6.00 per disk (maybe less if you are a member) from

PC-SIG
1030D East Duane Avenue
Sunnyvale, California 94086

These disks are archived and occupy 19 360k floppies when unarchived.
PC-SIG is a reputable company, but I can't vouch for the quality of these
disks.  Although most things in their library are pretty good, there are
some real clunkers as well.

------------------------------

Date: Thu Mar  3 13:04:30 1988
From: "Gregory Hicks - COMFLEACTS" <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>
Subject: AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS Read-only and Hidden

After seeing all the comments on making AUTOEXEC.BAT protected as well as
hid- den, I thought it worth a try.  Also checked with MicroSoft, and they
con- firmed that these two files can be both marked as HIDDEN as well as
WRITE- PROTECTED and the system will still do the right things.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Mar 88 08:15:48 CST
From: moore@ncsc.ARPA (Moore)
Subject: Kermit + Hayes Response

Well, that sounded good, too, but it didn't work!  I *think* it's
something strange in the way Kermit is telling the host to execute the
(shut_up) com- mand, because, as I said before, the text file containing
the ATS0=0 (or even the +++ATS0=0 [I typed that *real* slow]) is
successfully copied to COM1.

This seems so trivial, it's really frustrating.  I have a note in with
INFO- KERMIT, but I would appreciate it if you would include my original
query in the digest to get the fullest coverage possible.

And please, if you have any more suggestions, I'm more than happy to try
them!

Jim
moore@NCSC.arpa

[This is the response from Jim Moore after I told him to try typing three
'Plus' signs to the modem.  The original query is as follows (From
Info-IBMPC Digest V7 #22):

I'm having a problem executing a remote command using Kermit; I hope
someone can help:

I have a server on the west coast running ms kermit 2.30 on a compaq with
a smartmodem 2400, and my local machine is a 248 with a zenith 2400 bodem.
My problem is this:  I need to be able to not only shut the server down on
the west coast (no problem there), but also shut the modem off remotely.
I've tried writing the string ATS0=0 (disable autoanswer) to a file called
shut_up.txt, then writing to a batch file shut_up.bat the command COPY
shut_up.txt COM1: I then upload both files to the server, and issue the
kermit command remote host shut_up, which should copy ATS0=0 to com1:
Well, I've tried it locally, and the "server" echoes the command and
replies "1 file(s) copied" so the copy is working right, only the modem
doesn't come out of autoanswer, and when I query ATS0? I get back a
non-zero number (the default).  I've also tried directing ATZ to the
modem, with no success.  Yet when I run the batch file on my machine, as
well as the "server", it works fine...]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Mar 88 15:08 EST
From: <CONNORS%JCUVAX.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Some More Virus Infected Programs

The February 22, 1988 issue of "Information Week" reported that these
programs were infected with a virus.

      ARC.*                           LIST60.*
      ARC513.*                        QMDM110.EXE
      ARC600.*                        QMDM110A.ARC
      BALKTALK.*                      QUIKBBS.COM
      DISCSCAN.EXE                    SECRET.BAS
      DOSKNOWS.EXE                    STRIPES.EXE
      EGABTR.*                        VDIR.COM
      FILER.EXE

The programs with an  *  extension have several infected versions and
should be avoided.

John Connors
(CONNORS@JCVAXA)

------------------------------

Date: Thu 03 Mar 88 21:28:48
From: tweten@gilmore.NAS.NASA.GOV
Subject: Sort-of Public Domain YACC

The GNU project's Bison is a sort-of public domain yacc superset.  I say
"sort-of" because it is copyright protected, but the terms of the
copyright only restrict you from selling it or refusing to give the source
to people you give binaries.  The Free Software Foundation spends a page
or so saying that, so there are undoubtedly more details.

That said, I've ported it to MS-DOS under the large model of Microsoft C,
version 5.0, with little dificulty.  You can do likewise.  Or, if there's
interest at Info-IBMPC, I could find out how to contribute it (or maybe
just the diffs - there aren't many) to SIMTEL20.  Or, we could figure out
some way for me to send you the diffs.  I should point out that I have
only played with the most recent version of bison a little under MS-DOS,
so my port could still have many undiscovered bugs, though I currently
know of none.

Now, if you land a good source of (even a sort-of) a public domain LEX,
I'd like to hear about it too.  Good luck!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Mar 88 13:38 EST
From: <CONNORS%JCUVAX.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Suggestions for fighting software piracy

As computer literacy grows among the student body here at John Carroll
University, unfortunately, so does software piracy from our PC lab.  Can
anyone offer any suggestions and/or advice on ways combat this?

John Connors
(CONNORS@JCVAXA)

[Yes, EDUCATION...]

------------------------------

Date: 1-MAR-1988 14:40:01.50
From: GEORGE%LAUVAX01.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subj:  Altering AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files

>We are encountering the irritating problem of "informed" students
>altering the "user friendly" configurations (such as in AUTOEXEC.BAT,
>KERMIT initialisation files etc.)

>The operating system does not appear to offer any means of preventing this

I'm not the one who did it but at our site our public PCs have had one of
the wires on their hard disk controllers cut so that they can read but not
write.  There is some kind of lock on the side of the PC that can
reconnect the wire to allow updates of stuff on the disk.  This has
nothing to do with DOS as you can copy stuff to the hard disk and DOS says
"N files copied" but they never show up on the disk since no changes were
written.  Our users have to store all their work on floppies.

Sorry I can't be specific on what wires but maybe this can get you going
in the right direction.

- George Nassas
  Laurentian University
  George@LAUVAX01.BITNET

  Q:    How many programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
  A:    None; it's a hardware problem!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Mar 88 10:43:50 EST
From: Bruce_Kahn@MAYTAG.CEO.DG.COM
Subject: A 6502 Disassembler Wanted

  I have been looking for a 6502 disassembler and was told by some other
people who have been on the net longer that one was floating around a
while back.  Can anyone help me with locating any 6502 disassembler?
Bruce

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 01 Mar 88 11:15:12 CST
From: steve strickland <SNSTR@TTUVM1>
Subject: Autocad Discussion List

Im looking for an autocad discussion list.  Is there such?

thanks
steve strickland
snstr@ttuvm1

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 04 Mar 88 18:03:59 PST
From: JAJZ801%CALSTATE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU  (JEFFREY SICHERMAN - CALSTATE
LONG BEACH)
Subject: Command Line Parameters for MS Fortran 4.0(1)

  Has anybody looked at how to get command line parameters from programs
compiled with MS Fortran 4.0(1). I have looked over the startup source
files provided with the compiler and there SEEMS to be hooks if not an
outright interface but I haven't found it documented anywhere. I haven't
experimented yet since the docs say MS Assembler 4.0 or 5.0 is required
and I have 3.0 and don't want to upgrade just to experiment (will if it's
worthwhile and workable). I am talking about getting actual parameters not
just the run-time behavior where the I-O system gets file names from the
command line if not specified in the program.

  Jeff Sicherman
  jajz801@calstate.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Mar 88 18:36 EST
From: The Priest <V079GUVN@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu>
Subject: EGA and ANSI

Greetings!

   I have an EGA system, and would like to use it in the 43 line mode. I
have a utility to switch it to this mode. However when I have ANSI or
NANSI installed, I can only access the top 25 lines!!!! What can I do? Is
it worth it for me to keep ANSI installed?

Thanx in advance.
- The Priest
- V079GUVN@UBVMSC.BITNET
- V079GUVN@UBVMSC.CC.BUFFALO.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Wed 2 Mar 88 22:21:42-EST
From: Paul G. Weiss <PGW@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Lib file query

I need to write some utilities that will work with .LIB files.

I am having a little trouble decoding the format of the index blocks.

Can anyone shed any light?

------------------------------

Date: Wed 2 Mar 88 22:20:48-EST
From: Paul G. Weiss <PGW@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Microsoft Assembler

Here is something I noticed about the Microsoft Macro Assembler that is
true of all versions that I have seen (up to and including version 4.50).

When you have a jmp instruction in your program, e.g.
     a proc
          jmp b
     b:
     a endp

the assembler outputs the jmp instruction followed by a word whose
contents is the difference in bytes from the byte following the jmp to the
destination.  And this is how it should be.

However...

When you have a call instruction in your program, e.g.
     a proc
          call b

     b:
     a endp

then the assembler will output the call instruction followed by a word
whose contents is 0.  In the FIXUPP record following the LEDATA record
where the call is found, you will find a self-relative fixup, to do
exactly the same thing that is done by the assembler itself in the jmp
case.  Intel, in its documentation on object files explicitly states that
this type of fixup, that is, a self-relative fixup where the target is in
the same segment as the word being fixed up, is unnecessary.  Indeed, I
would guess that the reason call and jmp are designed to be self-relative
is to make fixups unnecessary.

So, my questions:

1) Does anybody know why Microsoft does this, given they obviously know
enough to do the right thing in the JMP case?

2) I am contemplating writing a utility that gets rid of these fixups.
However, if anyone already has one that they wouldn't mind sharing, I'd be
very pleased.

Note further:

In Microsoft's C compiler, calls are handled correctly, i.e.  without
fixups.

In Phoenix's assembler, PASM, calls are handled correctly.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 04 Mar 88 15:49:34 MEZ
From: RM5I%DFVLROP1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Modem for use in Germany

I would like to use an american made modem in germany. Is there a modem
known which i can use.

Roland Luettgens (rm5i@dfvlrop1)

------------------------------

Date: 2 Mar 88 14:41:00 GMT
From: CIZIN <mig@whuts.uucp>
Subject: Plotting graphs on a PC, from a 'C' program

After reading some of the replies that I got following my last request,
I'm posting this new one to be more concrete:

I am looking for a 'C' language toolkit to plot some simple graphs after
collecting data using a P.C. with a 'C' program. "Halo" and other software
packages are very good, but they don't provide ready plotting functions,
only the functions to build plots.

Thanks,
          Miguel Cizin
          whuts!mig

------------------------------

Date: Thu,  3 Mar 88 13:44:09 -0500 (EST)
From: "Hunter R. Gordon" <hg0g+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Queries on Text Readers

I have a friend who typed about 400 double-spaced pages of a book, and now
he wants to put the book on his pc wordprocessor.  He figures that it'll
cost around a dollar a page to hire a typist and he is wondering if there
is a cheaper and possibly faster way to do the job.  I've heard only a
little about text readers and was wondering if anyone knew enough about
them to give me some advice.  I know that there are some types that aren't
as big and expensive as a copier, but use a device similar to a bar code
reader to read the text line by line.  Some questions I (we) have are:

1)  What is available in the text reader market (low and high end)?

2)  How much do they cost?

3)  Can they be rented, and if so at what price?

4)  For anyone in New York City:  Does anyone happen to know where a text
reader can be used, rented or if cheap, bought?

I appreciate any information that can be sent my way (at
hg0g+@andrew.cmu.edu).

Thanks,

Hunter Gordon

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Mar 88 11:01:26 EST
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@braggvax.arpa>
Subject: Program availability: File Express, TSR Terminal Emulator and BBS's

1.  A query as to where to find "File Express".  I'd suggest PC-BLUE
volumes 364 and 365 for version 4.1.  (They're both available on SIMTEL20
at PD2:<PC-BLUE.VOL364> and <PC-BLUE.VOL365>.  Tenex transfer, of course,
when ftping.

2.  A query as to a dumb TSR terminal emulator.  I'd suggest TERM.ARC
(full source in assembler for the terminal driver, and C for the install/
parameter changer utility).  Nice little program.  Real small also, so it
won't gobble up too much memory.

3.  Harry Habromowski (sp?) asks how to direct his friend in New Jersey to
a friendly local BBS.  I'd suggest snarfing the file USBBS42.LST (or
whatever the latest version is) at SIMTEL20's PD1:<MSDOS.BBS> archive.
It's a list of US BBS's and should steer him to a local one.  I use the
Delaware OPUS myself (registration required, no fee, takes about a week)
the Special Interest Group for MicroComputers (SIGM) BBS in Jersey, plus a
nice one at Trenton College.  The Computer Shopper magazine also regularly
has an updated list of BBS's nationwide, with lots of information.  Point
him at THAT listing and watch his phone bills fly...

Hope this helps.

David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@braggvax.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: 3 Mar 88 15:14 +0100
From: ALF CHRISTOPHERSEN <l_christophe%use.uio.uninett@TOR.nta.no>
Subject: SANYO MBC-17+ AT-compatible computer 80286.

Do any out in netland have some experience with this rather cheap clone of
IBM AT. Do any have some pros and/or contras on purchasing this computer
compared with other AT-clones in same price class?

Is there any software where it is not compatible with the 'real' thing??

I am also interested in tips on other AT-clones and also 80386 clones.

Next question:

Have any used the MicroPort UNIX (with PC/DOS as tasks) on an AT and
running several users?? Do you need to use the 80386 to get some speed
(not too much swapping giving bad response to people which act with big
rise in epinephrine concentration in blood when the computer don't respond
within 100 ms :-) )

You can reply to INFO-IBMPC because I read it on my computer.

For those who want to write privately, you can use one of the following
addresses:

L_CHRISTOPHE@USE.UIO.UNINETT     X.400/MHS/EAN
L_CHRISTOPHE@INGER.UIO.NO        ARPAnet/Internet
CHRISTOP@NORUNIT.EARN            BITNET/EARN

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Mar 88 14:59 CDT
From: <PER7659%TAMVENUS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> (Marauder)
Subject: Tandy 1000SX memory upgrade

   I have a Tandy 1000SX with the standard 384K of memory which I want to
upgrade to 640K.  I know where the sockets are on the motherboard, and
where the jumper is to enable the addresses.  There are eight sockets
(there is no parity check on the memory), the chips are 256Kx1.  The chips
that come with the unit are MT1259-15 (150 nS).  I have seen a Zuckerboard
which uses MT1257-15 chips for the expansion.  My question is, can I use
regular old 41256-150 256Kx1 bit chips instead of the MT1259-15 chips?
Are the pins the same?  Has anyone does this?  The main motivation here is
price.  The 41256s are CHEAP.  The 256K memory chips from Tandy cost more
than double what I can get 41256s for.  Thanks for any information.

Phil E. Riba
PER7659@TAMVENUS.BITNET
Graduate Student, Department of Computer Science, Texas A&M University

Opinions expressed above are my own.  I like Tandy, just some options cost
too much!

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  4 Mar 88 20:18:38 -0500 (EST)
From: Douglas Allen Luce <dl2p+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Two hard disks, two controllers, one machine.

I'm having problems getting two different hard drives with two different
controllers on my XT to work.  I have one seagate ST225 20 meg with an MSM
controller, and one seagate ST238 30 meg with an RLL controller.

I think that there are conflicts with both boards competing for one
address space (C000?).  I don't know how to reconfigure either board or
the machine to

keep this from happening.  Has anyone else ever dealt with this?

Douglas Luce
Carnegie Mellon

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------