hicks@WALKER-EMH.ARPA (Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS) (05/11/88)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Tue, 10 May 88       Volume 7 : Issue  24

This Week's Editor: Gregory Hicks -- Chinhae Korea <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>

Today's Topics:
                             DHAMPSTONE Benchmark
                    Caution for those considering MSC 5.0
               Correction to NumLock code for enhanced keyboard
                              eel mouse handler
                    Expressware and File Express (2 msgs)
                          File I/O and Slow Windows
                             LISPs for the IBM PC
                           NROFF-like DOS formatter
                            Pascal --> C question
                             PICNIX Author Found
                        TSR programs in MSC 5.0/QuickC
              Turbo C Command-line Argument Expander(s) (2 msgs)
Today's Queries:
                                 NUM_OFF.ASM
                         Day Length Program requested
                       Problems with Modula-2 Programs
                     Help on Turbo Pascal "equivalencing"
                        Microsoft C (Ver 5.0) question
                        Memory resident Kermit server
                  Use of 256K RAM Ships in COMPAQ Portable I

Info-IBMPC Lending Library is available from:

    Bitnet via server at CCUC; and from SIMTEL20.ARPA (see file
          PD1:<msdos>files.idx for listing of source files)

    SIMTEL20.ARPA can now be accessed access from BITNET is via
       LISTSERV@RPICICGE.BITNET using LISTSERV Commands

    INFO-IBMPC BBS Phone Numbers: (213) 827-2635 and (213) 827-2515

Date: 5 Mar 88 01:26:02 GMT
From: "The News System <news>" <news@BRL-ADM.arpa>
Subject: DHAMPSTONE Benchmark

This is in response to  a message from <kruger@16bits.dec.COM>.

-David-

>Date:         Wed, 02 Mar 88 17:30:28 CST
>From:         David Camp <C04661DC@WUVMD>
>Subject:      Re: Dhrystones, anyone?

>I am interested in the Dhrystone, Whetstone, and other popular benchmarks.
>Please mail to me. If you want the collection, I will collect them and
>forward.

>Thanks!
>dov

I typed this in from a magazine.  I think it was "Computer Language", but
I am not certain.  I would appreciate your forwarding the collection.
-David-

| (314) 362-3635                  Mr. David J. Camp                    |
|                          ^      Division of Biostatistics, Box 8067  |
| Room 1108D             < * >    Washington University Medical School |
| 706 South Euclid         v      660 South Euclid                     |
|                                 Saint Louis, MO 63110                |
| Bitnet: C04661DC@WUVMD.BITNET                                        |
| Internet: C04661DC%WUVMD.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU                      |

--------------------- FILE dhamp     c          ---------------------

/*      The dhampstone benchmark.  Written by Jack purdum. */
/*      version 1.0, August 1,1985                         */

[DHAMP.C has been added to the Info-IBMPC Lending Library in file
PD1:<msdos.system>dhamp.c.]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Mar 88 12:43:06 EST
From: Bruce_Kahn@MAYTAG.CEO.DG.COM
Subject: Caution for those considering MSC 5.0

  In V7 I20, Henry Spencer brought up the subject of correct and incorrect
C implementations.  According the the K&R book, p198 middle of the page,
"Static and extern vars which are not initialized ARE guaranteed to start
off as 0; automatic and register vars which are not initialized are
guaranteed to start off as garbage."  If your C compiler does not follow
this then they need to change their compiler, or else note this in their
documentation.  I would suggest that you ALWAYS init; never assume
anything, just to be safe.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 07 Mar 1988 22:40 EST
From: sidney%acorn@oak.lcs.mit.edu (sidney@gold-hill.com after 1-April-88)
Subject: Correction to NumLock code for enhanced keyboard

There was a query from David Gardner <HQDG@PSUORVM> about an error in some
code that was submitted to turn off the NumLock indicator. The problem was
some missing brackets. Here is the correct debug script:

The following script will use debug to create a file called numoff.com
which can be called from your autoexec.bat file to turn off NumLock on the
enhanced keyboard. I have added comments for the edification of those
unfamiliar with this stuff, yet interested. The first line will give you
an error message if the file numoff.com does not already exist. That's ok,
that's what you want.

debug numoff.com
a                   <-- this switches to assembler language mode
xor ax,ax           <-- these two instructions put a 0 in the data
mov ds,ax           <-- segment register, so the next instruction
and byte [417],df   <-- clears a bit at absolute address 0:417
ret                 <-- return to caller (i.e., DOS)
                    <-- this is a blank line (the Enter key)
rcx                 <-- set length of file to save to...
a                   <-- x'0a' (ten) bytes
w                   <-- write out the file (numoff.com)
q                   <-- quit debug

What this does is turn off the x'20' bit at location 0:417, which is
apparently the NumLock flag.

Disclaimer: I only figured out what needed to be changed in the submitted
code to turn off the indicator light. I don't know anything about how it
fits in to the bios code or keyboard hardware. But I have put it in the
autoexec of one of our machines and it is nice to boot up without that
damn numlock light on.

Sidney Markowitz
Gold Hill Computers
<sidney%acorn@oak.lcs.mit.edu> until 1-April-88,
then <sidney@gold-hill.com>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Mar 88 11:16:31 PST
From: Jim Anderson <bilbo.jta@SEAS.UCLA.EDU>
Subject:  eel mouse handler

I think this is the unmodified source for mouse.e.  I don't use it, and
was unable to get it to work, so I cannot vouch for it.

------------------------------ mouse.e --------------------------------
/* Epsilon mouse extensions */

/* The following copyright and trademark notice applies to some of the code
 * herein; all other material is Copyright (c) 1987 by Robert Lenoil, with
 * free copying allowed for any purpose, provided that this copyright notice
 * is included.
 */

/************************************************************************
* "Epsilon", "EEL" and "Lugaru" are trademarks of Lugaru Software, Ltd. *
*                                                                       *
*     Copyright (C) 1985 Lugaru Software Ltd.  All rights reserved.     *
*                                                                       *
* Limited permission is hereby granted to reproduce and modify this     *
* copyrighted material provided that the resulting code is used only in *
* conjunction with Lugaru products and that this notice is retained in  *
* any such reproduction or modification.                                *

[MOUSE.E has been added to the Info-IBMPC Lending Library in file
PD1:<msdos.eel>mouse.e.]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 07 Mar 88 16:35:03 CST
From: Terry Woodhouse <tjw@mitre-omaha.ARPA>
Subject: Expressware and File Express

One of my very favorite programs.  The latest version is much improved from
previous versions.  The information you require is as follows:

          Expressware, P.O.Box 230, Redmond, WA 98073
               (206) 481-3040

Hope this helps...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=->                   Regards,
 ARPA: tjw@mitre-omaha.arpa  >
  or   tjw@mitre-bedford.arpa>                      Terry Woodhouse
 Phone: (402) 292-5889       >

 Snail mail: The MITRE Corp.
          1510 Wall Street
          Bellevue, NE 68005
------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Mar 88 22:39:59 PST
From: swillett%plutonium.CChem.Berkeley.EDU@jade.berkeley.edu (Steve Willett)
Subject: File Express Address

EXPRESSWARE, distributor of File Express, can be reached at:

EXPRESSWARE
P.O. Box 230
Redmond, WA 98073

File Express is a shareware product - the registered version costs $69.95,
Diskettes only cost $15.  EXPRESSWARE also sells a spreadsheet program,
ExpressCalc ($49/$15), and a graphing program, ExpressGraph ($49/$10).
All orders S & H, $2; COD $3; Rush $5; Foreign $10.

EXPRESSWARE can be reached by phone (phone orders - COD or MC/VISA) at:

(206) 481-3040

The usual disclaimer applies - I am just a satisfied customer.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1988 Mar 6   16:37 EST
From: Bob Babcock <PEPRBV%CFAAMP.BITNET@husc6.harvard.EDU>
Subject: FILE I/O & SLOW WINDOWS

>Be forewarned that the BIOS call to return the current display mode
>(mono or color) is broken in the early BIOS versions of many PC
>compatibles.  This once gave me quite a headache on my Leading Edge
>Model M, until I tracked down what exactly was wrong.  The more
>reliable way to obtain the video mode is to read the value in the
>BIOS low memory data table yourself.  The exact memory address is
>commonly obtainable; send me mail if you can't find it and want it.

Not on my machine.  The BIOS call works fine, but there is not the same
parameter table as is found in the IBM PC.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 07 Mar 1988 11:12 EST
From: ejs%acorn@oak.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: LISPs for the IBM PC

> From: Brian Leverich <leverich@rand-unix.ARPA>
>
> Can anyone with hands-on experience provide me with some comments on LISPs
> that run on PCs under MSDOS?  The slick vendors' literature has a Shannon
> measure just about epsilon away from zero.  :-(
>
> I'm particularly interested in how large the data spaces of the LISP are
> (how many atoms, DTPRs, etc., can be crammed into memory) and speed of the
> compiled code, especially at handling real number arithmetic.  Tnx.

Gold Hill markets a LISP on the PC.  Actually, the full blown
implementation of Common Lisp requires an AT with extended memory.  I
don't know the kinds of figures you're interested off the top of my head,
however, I have a LISP loaded on my Compaq 386 (with 9 Meg Extended
Memory) right now, and with the EMACS-like editor and compiler loaded (as
well as some development tools and the development environment), the Lisp
occupies about 3.2 Meg of which about 2.3 Meg is atom space and .9 Meg is
cons space.

------------------------------

Date: 6 Mar 88 01:48:27 GMT
From: Brad Banko <btb@ncoast.uucp>
Subject: NROFF-like DOS formatter

I recently was looking for the same kind of thing, and I got some info
about some good looking stuff from Elan Computer Group, Inc.:

          410 Cambridge AVE; suite a
          Palo Alto, CA  94306
          415-322-2450

they make an nroff/pc with tbl, neqn, mm, man for msdos for $99!  they
also make an eroff system which costs $700.  I haven't tried their stuff,
but the samples they sent with an info packet look very good.

               Brad Banko
               Columbus, Ohio
               (formerly ...!decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!btb)
               btb%ncoast@mandrill.cwru.edu

"The only thing we have to fear on this planet is man."
               -- Carl Jung, 1875-1961

------------------------------

Date: 7 Mar 88 06:36:44 GMT
From: Dave Jones <djones@megatest.uucp>
Subject: Pascal --> C question

Regarding the message from tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson):

> I am contemplating translating a Pascal program to C,
> but am not sure if it can be done very easily....
>
> Is there a C equivalent for the Pascal declaration:
>
>     SinWave: packed array[0..255] of char;

What do you mean by 'C equivalent'?  If you intend to link your translated
program with object modules compiled for Pascal linkage, then you have to
know how the implementers of your C and your Pascal made some arbitrary
choices, among them how to represent arrays of characters.  (C
implementations, almost always, conventionally terminate strings with null
characters.  Pascal strings have a compile-time-defined fixed length.
Sometimes the implementations prefix the Pascal string with the integer
value of the length of the string.)  I would not recommend that such a
project be undertaken by a non-guru.  There might also be some problem
with reading files of records generated by a program written in another
language, but probably not.

If you only want to translate a stand-alone Pascal program into C,
switching from the Pascal runtime library to the C runtime library (if
they are different on your machine), then you are free to define your own
mapping, and it should be pretty smooth sailing.  In that case, the
mapping of the Pascal packed array into the C char-array is perfectly
reasonable.

The only tricky problem you may come across is in translating Pascal
procedures which have "nested scope".  If you have none of these,
congratulate yourself for having avoided a dubious feature.  If you have
used such nestings, I would recommend that you remove them.  If you don't
want to do that, you will need to implement a 'display', and resolve
references to vars in the parent's scopes occordingly.  Any good book on
languages or compiler construction will have a section on displays.

By the way, do you know about C++?  If you are going to undertake a
translation from Pascal, I would suggest that your target be C++ rather
than C.

     Good luck,
     Dave J.

------------------------------

Date: Sun Mar 06 22:28:45 1988
From: Dick Flanagan <slvblc!dick@ucscc.UCSC.EDU>
Subject: PICNIX Author Found

This past week I finally connected with Peter Stephen Heitman, the author
of the PICNIX collection of unix-like utilities for the PC.  I told him
there had been a resurgence of interest in PICNIX on the net over the past
couple of months and that several people had had their registration checks
returned by the Postal Service.  A portion of his response follows:

     I would really appreciate your letting people on the net know where I
am.  I have not had access to the net since I left HP in Colorado over 1.5
years ago, [...]  If you could post my current address, I would be
thankful.

          PiCnix Utilities
          Peter Stephen Heitman
          23 Burwell Road
          West Roxbury, MA  02132

     [...]  I have produced an update to PiCnix, Ver 3.x (now up to 3.2)
that fixes a few bugs, makes a few semantic changes (i.e., I don't force
accesses to other disks to be starting from the / directory - I allow the
current directory on the drive to be used, I removed support for
processing the accent grave ` since it took so much code in each utility,
I added support for the environment variables PICNIX_FNCASE and
PICNIX_SWITCHAR to allow control of the case filenames are printed as and
the switchar used by picnix.  Now you don't have to use switchar.exe which
would conflict with some programs.

     Peter Heitman

So all of us who have tried to register our copies of PICNIX finally have
a current address.  I have a copy of Ver 3.2 on its way to me, and I will
send it to the SIMTEL20 lending library as soon as it arrives.

Dick

--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD                         GEnie: FLANAGAN
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!slvblc!dick           Voice: +1 408 336 3481

------------------------------

Date: 8 Mar 88 02:50:48 GMT
From: Patrick McCarthy <mccarthy@well.uucp>
Caution for those considering MSC 5.0
Correction to NumLock code for enhanced keyboard
eel mouse handler
Expressware and File Express
File Express Address
FILE I/O & SLOW WINDOWS
LISPs for the IBM PC
NROFF-like DOS formatter
Pascal --> C question
PICNIX Author Found
TSR programs in MSC 5.0/QuickC

   PNU@PSUVM.BITNET (Jon Peters) requests information on writing TSR
programs in MSC 5.0 or MS QuickC:

> Does anyone have any experience in writing TSR (Terminate & Stay Ready)
> programs in either Microsoft C 5.0 or MS QuickC? Specifically, has
> anyone made use of the _chain_intr, _dos_getvect, _dos_setvect and/or
> _dos_keep functions?

I hate to tell you this, but using these library routines can be a royal
*PAIN* for someone new to C and/or the IBM PC (and even for those who
aren't), primarily because of DOS reentrancy problems (i.e., a TSR can't
use DOS if the foreground process is already using it).  I don't want to
sound like a living advertisement, but Blaise Computing offers a package
called C TOOLS PLUS/5.0, which provides a number of routines to help
support writing TSRs which go way beyond the MSC library routines, as well
as text windows, menus, screen access, and a whole bunch of other stuff.
It costs about $175, but it may save you ten times that much in headaches.
It also comes with lots of example programs written in C, documentation,
and source (mostly C). This package is functionally almost identical to
our product Turbo C TOOLS (for Turbo C), which has a write-up in this
month's Turbo Technix magazine.

          Blaise Computing
          2560 Ninth Street, Suite 316
          Berkeley, CA 94710
          (415) 540-5441      <- Technical support/technical questions
          (800) 333-8087      <- Orders only

Pat McCarthy
mccarthy@well.uucp
well!mccarthy@lll-crg.arpa

P.S.: Actually, TSR stands for Terminate and Stay Resident.

------------------------------

Date: 5 Mar 88 20:03:02 GMT
From: "George V. Wilder" <gvw1@ihlpf.ATT.COM>
Subject: Turbo C Command-line Argument Expander(s)

 I just tried the following one out for TC 1.5, and it doesn't seem to
work:

John Maline had developed a TC command-line expander that didn't require
any changes to the source file (he provided a replacement library for the
startup code--or something like that.).  It works fine for TC 1.0.  But it
doesn't seem to work for TC 1.5.  I know that John can be reached on BIX
(id: jwmaline), but I cannot access BIX.

So, does someone have a newer version (later than 10/17/87) that works
with TC 1.5, and/or can reach John on BIX to see if he has updated it to
do so (he indicated in the doc. file that he would try to fix bugs and
keep it up-to-date).

     Thanks
          George V. Wilder
              ihnp4!ihlpf!gvw1

------------------------------

Date: 6 Mar 88 21:29:53 GMT
From: Russ Nelson <nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.EDU>

This is a repost, as requested by several people.  I have applied the
patch by Kevin Sweet that lets it work with switchar='-'.  Also, this is
only for TC 1.5.  I think that TC 1.0 just needs to have __argc and __argv
made public, but then again, who wants to use TC 1.0? :-)

--russ
AT&T: (315)268-6591  BITNET: NELSON@CLUTX  Internet: nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu
GEnie: BH01  Compu$erve: 70441,205

/* setargv -- setup argv with wild card expansion                           */
/* copyright 1987  Michael M Rubenstein                                     */

/* This program may be freely distributed provided no fee is assessed.      */

/* This file implements wild card expansion in argv for Turbo C 1.5.        */
/* Strings of characters in either quotes (") or appostrophes (') on the    */
/* command line are considered a single argument.  However, backslash       */
/* escapes are not implemented.  A quote may be included in an argument     */
/* which is enclosed in appostrophes and an appostrophe may be included     */
/* in an argument enclosed in quotes.  Either may be included as an         */
/* in an argument starting with any other character.                        */

/* Any argument which is not enclosed in quotes or appostrophes, does not   */
/* begin with a hyphen (-), and which contains an asterisk (*) or question  */
/* mark (?) will be expanded.  It is NOT an error for an argument to have a */
/* null expansion (no matching files).  Only ordinary files (not            */
/* directories or hidden or system files) will be included in the           */
/* expansion.                                                               */

[SETARGV.C has been added to the Info-IBMPC Lending Library in file
PD1:<msdos.c>setargv.c ...]

------------------------------

Date: 8 March 1988 15:00:23 CST
From: Mark S. Zinzow   <MARKZ%UIUCVMD.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: NUM_OFF.ASM

What happened to F11F12.ASM that was advertised several digests ago?  I
just checked SIMTEL20 again today and it's not there.

[I believe it was lost in the 'crash' I mentioned in V7 #23.  Regrets.
can someone re-forward it?  Thanks.]

have. This probably came from simtel20 or some local bbs, I don't
remember.  I've used this on IBM AT's and PS/2's with no problem.

NUM_OFF.DOC:

The file NUM_OFF.COM may be used from your AUTOEXEC.BAT file to turn the
NUM LOCK key off on your PC-AT.  Also included is the source code written
using Speedwares Turbo EDITASM assembler, but the A86 assembler can also
assemble the .COM file.  I have only tested this program on one PC-AT
model 339.  NUM_OFF is invoked right after the path and set commands but
before SIDEKICK and 1DIR are loaded.  If you have problems, I would like
to hear about them but I'm not much of an assembler man so I may not be
able to help you.

                           Homer Arment

         649 Millwood Dr.
         St. Charles, Mo. 63303
         (314)-928-5792  Between 6 and 10PM CST

I couldn't find Homer's ASM file, but here is a debug unassemble which
should do the job to show the code.  (Debug numbers are hex!)

------------------------------

Date: 3 Mar 88 21:14:19 GMT
From: Edward W Burkett <burkett@csd4.milw.wisc.EDU>
Subject: Day Length Program requested

I am conducting research in which I need to know the length of day for
every day in 1984-1986.  I recently saw a program posted which gave the
time of sunrise and sunset for the current day but with my limited
programming skills could not modify it to give the dates I required.

I need this information specifically for longitude 88.01.00 latitude
40.23.00 and would like to be able to select the dates of interest.

I am working on a Unisys 7000/40 using the Unix 4.3bsd+ operating system.

We have Berkley Pascal and C for this operating system.

If anyone knows of a program that does this or can modify an existing
program I would greatly appreciate the help.

Please respond with email if possible.

Edward W Burkett      burkett@csd4.milw.wisc.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 5 Mar 88 10:34 EST
From: The Priest <V079GUVN@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu>
Subject: Problems with Modula 2 Programs

Greetings.

I am using Fitted Software Tools Modula-2 Version 1.1. I have encountered
a problem with the M2O files. It seems that some of the object files are
in HUGE memory model and others are in LARGE. Due to this, I cannot link a
majority of my programs.  HELP!!

- The Priest
- V079GUVN@UBVMSC
- V079GUVN@UBVMSC.CC.BUFFALO.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Mar 88 16:47 AST
From: JULIET%DALAC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Help on Turbo Pascal "equivalencing"

(*      I am trying to get Turbo Pascal version 4.0  (or  possibly 3.0) to
equivalence a number of seperate variables into an array.  I tried the
following code segment: *)

var
(* Original array *)
  table : array [ 0..10 ] of byte;

(* Equivalenced entries into array *)
(*      Comment out from here ... *)
  A     : byte absolute table [ 0 ];
  B     : byte absolute table [ 2 ];
  C     : byte absolute table [ 5 ];
(*  ... to here to create a compilable file. *)

(*      The  compiler aborts with a " ';' expected  " immediately after
the "table" in the first absolute referance. One  solution is  to  reverse
the sequence by placing  the  non-array variables first and equivalencing
the array. This is means that every entry in  the  array  MUST  be
accounted for  in  the  single  variable declaration, ie:  *)

(* Original no-array variables *)
(* Desired entries into array are X, Y, and Z *)
  X,
  dum1,          (* dummy to fill in space for correct array alignment *)
  Y,
  dum2,
  dum3,
  Z,
  dum4,
  dum5,
  dum6,
  dum7,
  dum8    : byte;

(* Array for the equivalencing *)
(* NOTE: The array is indexed to the absolute address of the first
         desired variable, ie: X *)
  table2  : array [0..10] of byte absolute X;

(*     This is a compilable file. It will generate the error I am refering
to.  Comment  out the first  set  of  declarations  and recompile. This
will yield a file that will run.

     What  I  really  want is a better  solution  that  does  not require
me to declare each and every element of the array  singly as the second
set does. While it works for this small demo, large arrays will start to
become VERY tiresome!! *)

i : integer;

begin
  for i := 0 to 10 do table2 [ i ] := 1;
  X := 2;
  Y := 4;
  Z := 8;
  for i := 0 to 10 do writeln ( ' TABLE2 [',i,'] = ',table2 [ i ] )
end.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Mar 88 17:48 PST
From: CARL FUSSELL <CARL%SCU.BITNET@jade.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Microsoft C (Ver 5.0) question

I just received my update on MS C (V5.0).  It installed relatively easily.
When done, I tho't I would test it out by compiling one of the sample
programs... LIFE.C.   It compiled ok but when linking came up with
undefined "Unresolved externals"

   _edit , _get_cursor, _get_key, _refresh, & _clear_mat

I tried also linking with the graphics library -- no luck.  I have "search"
(searched) every .c and .h file I could find to no avail.  Am I missing
something?  Or doesn't Microsoft ship all the sources necessary to compile
their sample programs?   I am hoping that I have just overlooked something.

Has anyone on the list using MS C 5.0 tried this?

Thanx in advance for any suggestions.

Carl Fussell
Santa Clara Univ.
CARL@SCU.BITNET

------------------------------

Date:         Fri, 04 Mar 88 10:47:31 CST
From:         Arlene Slocum <ARLENE%UKANVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject:      Memory resident Kermit server

What we want is the part of Kermit that does server mode to be memory
resident.  This program would check the serial port for any file transfer
requests. File transfers would hopefully go on in the background while the
user can do pc work

     We want to run this on PC/XT compatibles with 640k memory. An entire
Kermit memory resident takes up too much memory- all we really want is the
server mode function. Does such a program exist? We are somewhat committed
to Kermit (we have just converted to Columbia version 2.30) so we would
need this memory resident server to accept the kermit protocols. Any
suggestions are welcome.

PS. Our micros are networked with an X.25 packet switched network running
through the serial ports.We run at speeds up to 9600 baud for file
transfer.

Arlene Slocum
Programmer/Analyst
Institute for Public Policy and Business Research
University of Kansas
607 Blake
Lawrence, Kansas  66045
913-864-3701
send replies to my Bitnet address:  ARLENE@UKANVM

------------------------------

Date: 7 Mar 88 07:18 EST
FROM: Philbrook @ DDN1.arpa
SUBJECT: USE OF 256K RAM CHIPS IN COMPAQ PORTABLE I

I HAVE A COMPAQ PORTABLE I WITH 256K OF RAM ON THE SYSTEM  BOARD.  128K OF
RAM IS MADE UP OF SOLDERED SYSTEM BOARD 64K CHIPS.   128K IS MADE UP OF
REMOVABLE 64K CHIPS.

IF 256K CHIPS COULD BE SUBSTITUTED FOR THE REMOVABLE 64K CHIPS  I COULD
HAVE 640K ON THE SYSTEM BOARD.

I WOULD APPRECIATE HEARING FROM ANYONE WHO HAS SUCCESSFULLY ADDED 512K  OF
256K RAM CHIPS TO A COMPAQ PORTABLE I SYSTEM  BOARD  AND OBTAIN
INFORMATION ON HOW TO DO IT.

REGARDS,

BOB PHILBROOK

End of Info-IBMPC Digest