hicks@WALKER-EMH.ARPA (Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS) (05/22/88)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Thu, 20 May 88       Volume 7 : Issue  26

This Week's Editor: Gregory Hicks -- Chinhae Korea <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>

Today's Topics:
                        Microsoft C V5.1 Setup Warning
                     New programs available from SIMTEL20
                           PC Moria source request
                       3.5-inch internal drive B: write
Today's Queries:
                       Accidential FORMAT of Hard Drive
                            BBS Software Questions
                           BINARY editor Available
                            C Compiler .ASM output
                          Digest Archives Available
                              DOS Device Drivers
                               EGA screen dumps
                         Tamil Word Processor wanted
                         Hard Disk for PS/2 Model 30
                              Hard drive for AT
                          HELP Requested with Q-DOS
                      HP Scanjet software and ALPS P2000
                        Memory Resident KERMIT Server
                    MS-DOS Leapyear DATE and TIME problem
             Need help with connecting external floppy to laptop
                        PC Memory Board Module Source
                       DDN LAN and Advanced Revelation

Info-IBMPC Lending Library is available from:

    Bitnet via server at CCUC; and from SIMTEL20.ARPA (see file
          PD1:<msdos>files.idx for listing of source files)

    SIMTEL20.ARPA can now be accessed access from BITNET is via
       LISTSERV@RPICICGE.BITNET using LISTSERV Commands

Date: Thu Apr 28 20:38:09 1988
From: Dick Flanagan <slvblc!dick@ucscc.UCSC.EDU>
Subject: Microsoft C V5.1 Setup Warning

In an earlier message I wrote:
> About 30 minutes ago I destroyed several critical program files, including
> the almighty setup.exe file, itself, on the Microsoft C V5.1 installation
> diskettes.

> One of the installation directories you are prompted to enter, very
> plainly declares that its default is to install in directory '[.]'

> Well, folks, when it says it defaults to '.' it's not kidding one little
> bit!  It doesn't mean that it defaults to something reasonable like 'C:.'
> It honest-to-God means that IT DEFAULTS TO INSTALLING OVER THE INSTALLATION
> DISKETTES, THEMSELVES!

> Even though I am 100% to blame for not following the cardinal rule of
> write-protecting all original diskettes, I really do wish Microsoft
> wouldn't offer a default that, if accepted, destroys the very files you
> are trying to install.

As I re-read the setup.doc file in the glaring light of day, the following
paragraph jumped out at me with new significance:

        Note that when SETUP suggests a default response for each
        of the installation directories, it uses the first path
        defined by the PATH environment variable in your environment.

Well, well, well.  I do, indeed, begin my PATH with a directory of '.', so
at least now I know where that damned '[.]' came from.

That also means that anyone whose PATH begins with '.', 'A:', or '\', will
have those same dangerous defaults offered to them by the setup program.
So, while I still don't blame Microsoft for my lost files, I will modify
my "wish" somewhat:  if they are going to use an unknown directory
obtained from the user's environment, I wish they would at least check
that it doesn't refer back to the installation diskettes, themselves.

         WRITE-PROTECT THOSE ORIGINAL DISKETTES, FOLKS!

Dick

--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD                         GEnie: FLANAGAN
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!slvblc!dick           Voice: +1 408 336 3481

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Apr 1988  18:54 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: New programs available from SIMTEL20

The latest version of FLUSHOT, the anti-Virus/anti-Trojan program for
MSDOS, is available from SIMTEL20 as...

Filename             Type   Bytes      CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.TROJAN-PRO>
FSP.ARC.1            BINARY      43432  4A2CH

This is Flushot-Plus.  I downloaded it directly from Ross Greenberg to
assure its validity.

Filename             Type   Bytes      Sectors     CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.ZMODEM>
DSZ0414.ARC.1             BINARY      74858  585 = 249H  78BBH
DSZ0414X.ARC.1            BINARY      44173  346 = 15AH  A6DBH

DSZ is called from a BBS or comm program for ZMODEM and True YMODEM(tm)
file transfers.  "Talk" command supports standalone operation and
background file transfers in a 70k window.  Tight C/ASM code, table driven
CRC, buffered RX/TX for good performance in background without hogging
CPU.  CRC-32, wildcards, Crash Recovery, advanced file management.  4-14
Fixes bogus file count displays.  4-6 Adds indirect batch file spec for
BBS use.  DSZ0414X is an EXE version which runs faster for 19200 bps
transfers but does not run in the background.

YAMDEMO.ARC.3             BINARY     171898 1343 = 53FH  B004H
YAMHELP.ARC.3             BINARY     122725  959 = 3BFH  BDC5H

A demo version of Chuck Forsberg's popular YAM-PC modem program.

ZCOMMDOC.ARC.3            BINARY     159302 1245 = 4DDH  F4ACH
ZCOMMEXE.ARC.3            BINARY     156868 1226 = 4CAH  D9F4H
ZCOMMHLP.ARC.3            BINARY     116082  907 = 38BH  EE41H

ZCOMM 17.16 with TurboLearn Script Writer(Tm), alternate dialing, dialing
queue, ZMODEM, True YMODEM(Tm), Telink, SEAlink, MODEM7, XMODEM (with
Enhanced Data Recovery(TM)), SuperKermit, Kermit Long Packets, Extended
Quick-B, flash-up tree structured help, powerful script language, Full
Time Review, Local+Online Command Recall.  Efficient B/G w/DESQview, etc.
ZMODEM, accurate VT102 emulation, Unix tools make ZCOMM excellent for Unix
systems.  17.16 Adds "cdd D:dir" command.  EQB error recovery improved.
17.15 Kermit long packets increased to 1000.

All of the above files were downloaded this morning directly from Chuck
Forsberg's BBS.  Most of the files were timestamped 14-Apr-88 or
15-Apr-88.

--Keith Petersen
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA
Uucp: {decwrl,harvard,lll-crg,ucbvax,uunet,uw-beaver}!simtel20.arpa!w8sdz

------------------------------

Date: 19 Apr 88 20:28:08 GMT
From: menser@dcc1.UUCP (unixcorn)
Subject: PC Moria source request

Would some kind soul please email, or post, the latest version of PC-Moria?

I am desperatly seeking the game. Our Vax is just too slow to bear playing.

I REALLY appreciate any help.

Thank You in advance for your time and help,

Charles MENSER

..!GATECH!DCC1!MENSER

[This program is available from SIMTEL20.arpa in directory
PD1:<msdos.games>moria.arc using standard anonymous FTP.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: 16 Apr 88 17:06:00 GMT
From: bevans@convex.UUCP
Subject: 3.5-inch internal drive B: write

> I have:
> ...  an Everex 1800B (Club AT) with
> ... a 3.5"/1.44MB floppy (B:)
> ... and DOS 3.3.
>
> I can read both 720KB and 1.44MB disks (written on a different
> machine) in drive B:, but I can't format or write an already
> formatted disk of either kind in that drive.

Yup.  Classic behavior.  I helped work on a Floppy controller to talk to
3.5" drives and I witnessed a entire plethora of failures (we did get it
to work).  And yes, you've got to have DOS 3.3 to talk to 720K and 1.44M
3.5" drives, although, 3.2 will also work with a 720K (only) 3.5" drive,
also.  You see, it works this way ...

When DOS boots up, it determines drive media type by attempting to "walk"
the floppy drive head across the media to track 50.  If it can, (i.e., no
errors returned from the controller) it assumes that the media (drive) is
an 80 track device.  If not, 40 tracks are assumed.  That's how the
machine "knows" what media type it is attempting to boot from (9
sectors/track are assumed w/40 track device and 15 sectors/track w/80
track device;  its in the BIOS).

If the media is formatted, DOS can tell what kind it is by attempting to
read Track 0 by trying a various number of sector/track combinations (but
DOS doesn't pass this info to the DOS disk-write services because DOS
makes certain assumptions that a drive/disk combination may change at any
time).  It does this drive parm permutation from looking at internal drive
tables set up in the INT 13 code (and only 3.3 has the 1.44m drive parms
built in).  That's why DOS has to know from the outset what a drive type
AND media type is before writing or formatting.

Now then:

Drive      Tracks   Sectors/Track   Sector Size     Data Rate  RPM
360k         40            9             512          250K     300
720          80            9             512          250K     300
1.2M         80           15             512          500K     360
1.44M        80           18             512          500K     300

If DOS is confronted with a device that it KNOWS is 80 tracks, it STILL
has to know how many sectors/track and the **FORM FACTOR**.  That's how
DOS knows the DRIVE TYPE, in addition to the media type.

So the following two lines in CONFIG.SYS will tell DOS that a 1.44M
logical drive and a 720K logical drive are installed:

DEVICE=C:\DRIVER.SYS /D:1 /T:80 /S:18 /H:2 /F:7   /* 1.44M drive type */
DEVICE=C:\DRIVER.SYS /D:1 /T:80 /S:09 /H:2 /F:2   /* 720K  drive type */
                                           ^^^^
> The behavior is:  I go FORMAT B:<cr>, get the standard "insert &c"
> message, do so, and hit <cr>.  I see the usual line that tracks
> head/cylinder counts during formatting, but it stays at 0/0 for about 3
> seconds (the drive access light is on), then comes the dreaded message:
> Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable/Format failure.  It isn't
> the physical disk, which formats fine in the nearby PS/2.  I've tried
> specifying /n:18/t:80 (though the manual says not to), and I even tried
> installing DRIVER.SYS (though it's an internal drive).

When formatting, DOS also needs to know what to tell the format routine,
(INT 13, Func #(I forget)) what to do.  It doesn't matter if the drive is
internal or external, for a 1.44m drive, DRIVER.SYS has to be installed,
AND you HAVE (yeah, i know what the DOS book says B-) ) to tell FORMAT
what to do with the media you're formatting.

What's happening is if DRIVER.SYS is installed, AND the FORMAT program
left w/o a clue to the media type, FORMAT gets confused because it makes
certain assumptions about the device (which are wrong) and reports "bad
media -- format failure".  So:

format b: /N:18 /T:80  /* 1.44m */
format b: /N:09 /T:80  /*  720k */

Now you *could* write a file on a 1.44m disk that DOS _thought_ was a
1.2m.

What happens is *if* the file requires more than 15 sectors, DOS will
write on what it *thinks* is sector X of the next available track and mark
it so in the FAT.  But it wasn't sector X, it was sector Y on 1.44m media
and DOS reports read errors, truncation, etc.

>> ... the Club folks tell me my BIOS is the correct one ...

Its helpful if your BIOS is up-to-date, but is doesn't HAVE to be.  DOS
3.3 was designed to let 3.5" drives be installed in _older_ PCs and
overlays the INT13 code in those BIOS, too.

Hope this helps,
Bruce Evans
Convex Computer Corporation
701 N. Plano Road
Richardson, TX 75081

UUCP: {ihnp4,uiucdcs,ut-sally,sun}!convex!bevans (america)
UUCP: {cvxfr,connie,eurodem}!convex!bevans (europe)

Views!?  Opinions?!  Are the above mine?  Absotively impossible, I just
found the above growing in my refrigerator one morning ...

"This time it was right, it would work, and nobody would have to get
 nailed to anything ..." - Douglas Adams

------------------------------

Date: 14 Apr 88 09:39:09 PDT (Thursday)
From: RCariaso.Sunnyvale@Xerox.COM
Subject: Accidential FORMAT of Hard Drive

[During the time the Digest was 'dormant' (problems previously discussed)
a reader requested information on how to recover from an accidential
FORMAT of the hard disk drive.  Although received well after the fact,
perhaps this message can help others in a similar situation.  gph]

Not really sure, but there is a program that claims data recovery after an
accidental format in MS-DOS machines.  It's called MACE Utilities or
HFormat Utilities from Paul Mace.  Again I'm not sure.

Hope it helps...

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Apr 88 10:03:19 EST
From: Tim Margush <R1TMARG@AKRONVM>
Subject: BBS Software Questions

We want to set up a BBS run from an IBM PC-XT with a 40M Hard Drive, 640K
Memory, and 300/1200/2400 Baud Hayes Compatible Modem.  This will be
located in the College of Engineering Electronics Lab.

Capabilities:  Messages, File Transfer (XModem), Bulletins, the usual...

Are there any Public Domain BBS Programs that we could try?  What Programs
do you know about... What would you recommend?

Tim Margush                                    R1TMARG@AKRONVM.BITNET
Department of Mathematical Sciences            (216) 375-7109
University of Akron
Akron, OH 44325

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1988 Apr 26   13:21 EDT
From: Bob Babcock   <PEPRBV%CFAAMP.BITNET@husc6.harvard.edu>
Subject: Is a BINARY editor Available

Does anyone know of a true editor for binary files?  Lots of programs can
do one-for-one character replacement, but how about insertion and
deletion?  The application is fixing mangled databases (which may be
several hundred kbytes).  My current technique is to create a custom C
program using macros to copy so many bytes, insert/delete bytes, etc.
This works but is rather cumbersome.  I'm thinking of making such an
editor my next shareware project, but I won't do it if there is already a
tool available.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 88 08:41:58 EDT
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@braggvax.arpa>
Subject: C Compiler .ASM output

Does the Microsoft C Compiler (latest version) produce assembly language
output if desired?  (I don't own it, so can't just look it up in the
manual.)

Thanks in advance.
David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@braggvax.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1988 Apr 20   14:38 EDT
From: Bob Babcock   <PEPRBV%CFAAMP.BITNET@husc6.harvard.edu>
Subject: Digest Archives Available

Are the Info-IBMPC digest archived anywhere accessible from BITNET?  I'm
downstream from a flakey node, and every once in a while a digest just
doesn't make it to me.

[Digest archives are currently unavailable to those of us on the ARPAnet.
I believe that BITNIC does have the Digest archived however.  In the Real
Near Future, they will be available to those of us on the ARPAnet from
SIMTEL20.arpa via standard anonymous FTP.  As yet however, please be
patient.  --gph]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 88 09:55 CST
From: <GARY@AUDUCVAX>
Subject: DOS Device Drivers

        I'm trying to write a device driver for com ports. My output is
working fine but I cannot get the input to work. For example I can

                Copy file COM3

But, I cannot

                Copy COM3 file

It seems that DOS has a problem with how much it should read from the
port, and I have no idea where its getting its information.  My Driver is
capable of executing the NONDESTRUCTIVE INPUT and the INPUT STATUS DOS
commands, but it seems DOS is not trying to use this method to get port
buffer size info.

                                Gary Howard

                                Academic Computing
                                Auburn University
                                GARY@AUDUCVAX

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 88 19:28 EST
From: Robert Kaplowitz <KAPLOWIT%ecs.umass.edu@relay.cs.net>
Subject: EGA screen dumps

I have been unable to use the print screen key for EGA graphics. I am
using DOS 3.2 a quadram EGA card and an epson printer. ALso, I have been
Any help would be appreciated.  Rob

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 20 Apr 1988 14:00 CET
From:    PPH85 at DMSWWU1A <pph85%dmswwu1a.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: Tamil Word Processor wanted

I'm searching for a word processing system or editor working with tamil
language symbols. (Tamil is a dravidian language, spoken in South India,
Sri Lanka and some other parts of the world.) Does anybody know, where I
can get such software?

Stefan Riese    PPH85@DMSWWU1A.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 14 Apr 88 19:13:00 EST
From: "Dave Anderer" <dave@vax.oit.udel.edu>
Subject: Hard Disk for PS/2 Model 30

We have several PS/2 Model 30s with dual floppies which we need to add a
hard disk to.  (We can give up one of the floppies in the process.)  The
simple answer is a hard card, but unfortunately these machines don't have
any free slots.

I'm told IBM doesn't and won't sell a hard drive for these machines -
either as an add-on or even as a spare part!  Evidently, if you want to
ever put an IBM hard drive in a 30, you have to buy the machine configured
that way.

Are there any solutions out there today - either a hard disk we can put
into the "B" drive position and cable up, or an expansion chassis we can
use on the 30?

Specific references to any products would be appreciated.  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Apr 88 16:24:37 EDT
From: thanasis <ST401843%BROWNVM.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Hard drive for AT

we have an AT with a 10 M hard drive and it is not enough for our needs.
we want to buy an additional hard drive, in the 40 M to 80 M range. here
are our questions:

1. as we have stuff that several people work on on our 10M drive, we would
like to keep it. so we would like to get an external hard drive.  does
such a thing exist? i have in mind something that would plug into one of
the AT ports. does it need an additional controller? what are the power
requirements? and so on...

2. if there is such an external hard drive, what are your suggestions in
terms of brand name, size, price etc.

3. if there is no external hard disk available, i guess we will have to
replace our internal hard drive with a bigger one. how hard is that in
terms of workmanship?

4. and finally: same questions for for internal drives.

Thanks in advance-notify me in the above
userid/Thanasis

------------------------------

Date: Tue Apr 26 07:47:31 1988
From: segal@lognet2.ARPA (Cpt Joseph M. Segal)
Subject: HELP Requested with Q-DOS

During April / May of 1987 I purchased a Seagate 30 MEG hard disk model
ST-238.  With the help of a friend, I installed the hard disk into my
Z-NIX (IBM Compatible) computer.  The hard disk worked fine for a period
of time and then I noticed that I was getting some unusual things
happening; for example,  I would go into Q DOS II but instead of getting
the files listed in a subdirectory I would get a blank Q DOS II screen.
Other times when trying to invoke Q DOS II the hard disk light would come
on then the computer would beep and I would have a black (blank) screen.
Upon hitting any key the blank Q DOS II screen would come up.

Still other times upon turning on the power to the computer, it would not
execute my autoexec.bat file but instead show c> with an error message -
"seek error".  I spoke to a friend who is a computer technician, he said
it sounded like humidity in the hard disk and recommended putting a low
wattage light bulb inside the computer.  That worked for a while but now I
have discovered that I cannot use the compress feature in PC Tools Deluxe
because of a "seek error reading drive "c". So, I tried a chkdsk/f in DOS
but that showed - "Disk Error reading FAT 1 and 2.

I have written to Seagate but they have not answered me.

Does anyone have any ideas that might help me? Like all intermittent
problems, it **NEVER** happens when I'm trying to show someone.

Does anyone know if Seagate puts out hard disk utility to check
formatting, interleaving, or controllers?

Please reply via the net or to me direct at the following arpanet address:

           segal(AT)lognet2.arpa

Thanks in advance for any help...

------------------------------

Date: 8 Apr 88 08:56:00 EDT
From: "DAVID_CHAPMAN" <zn0chapman@nardacva.arpa>
Subject: HP Scanjet software and ALPS P2000

I have a user who has a Zenith Z-248 (PC-AT clone, 8 Mhz), an ALPS P2000
printer (an Epson FX lookalike), and a HP ScanJet with HP Image software.
The HP software can be set up to run either (1.) under Microsoft Windows
or (2.) under a runtime version of Windows.  There is NO difficulty with
using the ALPS for programs like DB Graphics (Microrim) and a other
graphics products.  The ScanJet and Image software run o.k. for reading
stuff in, but...

When the user attempts to print the image, the printer receives a line of
garbage.  The software quits after a minute and thinks it is through.

My first guess is the Windows Epson driver may be TOO specific.

Zenith has been cooperative, but they say they have not heard of the
problem (although they don't admit to knowing anyone who has tried this).

HP has done a nice selling job, but did not provide "service after the
sale" to these poor folks.  A person in my group contacted HP and got the
usual "We support the LaserJet..." bull.

Any clues/hints/suggestions/sympathy?

David Chapman
zn0chapman @ nardacva.arpa
NARDAC Norfolk

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 1988 12:53:39.65 CDT
From: <arlene%UKANVAX.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Memory Resident KERMIT Server

Is there such a thing as server mode only of Kermit that stays memory
resident and checks the serial port for file transfer requests? We are
running version 2 2.30 Columbia Kermit at 9600 baud over an x.25 network
on IBMPC XT com- patibles.  We would like a background server capability
that is compatible with kermit and lets PC users do other work.

Arlene Slocum, Programmer/Analyst
Institute for Public Policy and business Research
University of Kansas
607 Blake
Lawrence, Kansas  66045
913-864-3701

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 88 11:33:18 PDT
From: ihm@nrc.com (Ian Merritt)
Subject: MS-DOS 3.3 driver interface

I've run into a bit of a problem and I was wondering if you have
heard/read (perhaps in the course of your MSDOS digestification) of it or
perhaps can suggest somebody to call for information.

Our network socket driver is now running on MSDOS 3.0, 3.1, and 3.2 (and,
with some special hacks, even 2.11). The driver was written with the IBM
DOS 3.3 Techincal Reference Manual for reference.

The driver program declares a chain of 15 devices (sockets) of its own,
and as specified on page 2-6 of the documentation, chains them together,
indicating the end of the chain with a -1.  All this works just fine under
the versions mentioned above, but under 3.3, for some reason, the chain of
15 devices is ignored and only the first one is successfully declared,
according to the contents of memory after initialization.

Any ideas?  If not, perhaps you could put it on the list.

[If this does end up on the digest, please respond directly to me, as I
 don't read the news (Internet: ihm@NRC.COM   UUCP: nrcvax!ihm)]

Thank you.
                    ++i

------------------------------

Date: Wed 6 Apr 88 18:10:38-PDT
From: Jack Kramer  <CMATHEWS.KRAMER@BIONET-20.ARPA>
Subject: MS-DOS Leapyear DATE and TIME problem

Starting on February 29th the MSDOS date and time functions went bananas.
This really plays hell with things like makefiles and such.  I have been
unalbe to get through to microsoft support(whats new?).  Has anyone gotten
through and received a fix?  If so could the fix be published here?

------------------------------

Date: 27 Apr 88 09:57:16 GMT
From: unido!gmdzi!axel@uunet.UU.NET (Axel Meckenstock)
Subject: Need help with connecting external floppy to laptop

I tried to connect an external Tandon 360 K 5.25" floppy drive to a
Bondwell laptop (8 MHz 8088). The Bondwell accesses the drive and reads
track 0, side 0, i.e. the first 9 sectors, so I can see the directory of
the floppy disk, but an access to higher sectors yields an error.

I connected the cable as documented in the Bondwell manual (DB25 to 34pin
connector) and put a DEVICE=DRIVER.SYS /d:2 /f:0 statement into
CONFIG.SYS.  Another drive (80 tracks) showed the same problem. The
connection of an Irwin 40 MB streamer (for AT) didn't work either (the
software didn't recognize the streamer).

Can anyone imagine why the floppy doesn't work? Is there a bug in the
documentation? Is it a problem with the floppy drive (it works perfectly
in an AT)? Is it a software problem?

Thanks in advance

   A. Meckenstock
   GMD
   5205 St. Augustin
   Federal Republic of Germany

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  8 Apr 88  10:38:45 EST
From: DAVE%FSU.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: PC Memory Board Module Source

I have a room full of IBM PC's.  The PC's have in them, IBM 256K memory
expansion boards.  These boards have 4 32 pin modules on them and are
short boards.  One of them has failed and Advanced Diagnostics points to a
bad module being the problem.  Both the PC and the memory board are
manufactured by IBM.  I called the IBM parts locator number and got an
unplesant suprise.  The parts person said that IBM only sells spare parts
for systems, and does not supply parts for their adapters or options.

Does anyone have a source for these modules?

David Brightbill - School of Nursing - Florida State University
BITNet:  david@fsu  Telco: (904) 644-6841

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 88 12:35:33 SET
From: Okan BEKATLI <OKAN@TRITU>
Subject: VS Operating System on PC

Hi.
I would like to know if there is any Virtual Storage operating system for
personel computers exist.I heard something about this subject but I have
not any information.I will be happy if you help me..

Thanks for all
Regards
Okan

------------------------------

Date: Thu Apr 21 12:45:44 1988
From: daitc!pastram!dennis@uunet.UU.NET (Dennis Norkus)
Subject: DDN LAN and Advanced Revelation

We are in the process of developing a system on a Local Area Network using
Advanced Revelation as the DBMS. Passenger movement requirements will come
in from Installation Transportation Offices through the Defense Data
Network (DDN) to the LAN. Requests for service and offers for service will
be a file transfer  process with approximately 10 carriers/associations in
the Washington D.C. area.  Without getting into any more specifics, we
would be interested in hearing about any general type problems one might
think we'll encounter or your opinions regarding: Novell LAN, Advanced
Revelation, DDN.

Dennis Norkus        uucp: pastram!dennis
               arpa: kanti@optimis-pent.arpa

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------