hicks@WALKER-EMH.ARPA (Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS) (05/27/88)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Thu, 27 May 88       Volume 7 : Issue  28

This Week's Editor: Gregory Hicks -- Chinhae Korea <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>

Today's Topics:
                                  Cheap 386
                Diskette drives -- 3.5" 1.44mb IBM vs. non-IBM
                                  F11F12.ASM
                 Large array space compilers for '386 systems
                              Public Domain LEX
                 MSC 5.0 Unresolved External problem w/LIFE.C
                      The World Digitized: now available
Today's queries:
                                CHECKSUM query
                            Serial card for PC/PS2
                              SIMTEL20 TAR Files
                             Statistics Programs
                         Trapping Control-C Properly
                    Upgrade of Baby Blue II Mother Boards

Info-IBMPC Lending Library is available from:

    Bitnet via server at CCUC; and from SIMTEL20.ARPA (see file
          PD1:<msdos>files.idx for listing of source files)

    SIMTEL20.ARPA can now be accessed access from BITNET is via
       LISTSERV@RPICICGE.BITNET using LISTSERV Commands

Date: 14 May 88 02:09:04 GMT
From: munnari!.cs.mu.oz.au!jayen@uunet.UU.NET (Jayen Vaghani)
Subject: Cheap 386

There is a company here in Melbourne, Aridyne Microsystems, which claims
in its adverts that it has the fastest 386 machine in the world, running
at 20 or 25 Mhz, zero wait state, with cache controller and 64K 25ns
cache, 80ns memory, etc. I talked to the guy who says it benchmarks 10
times faster than an AT, and is faster than a Compaq 386/20 (which some
magazines have reported as being the fastest so far).

But get this, the salesman says the price, without harddisk is $4200
(Australian) which includes 1 Mb ram 1.2 Mb floppy, EGA card and the
cache.  With a 77 Mb voice coil (25 ms) Miniscribe HD, it is $5700.

This is way below the price of other 386's that I have seen. Has anyone
dealt with this company or used the machine. It is supposed to be made by
Proteus Systems in America. Has anyone there used such a machine?

The sales guy said they had brought in a whole lot for Telecom. Is this
true??

I would certainly like to here from anyone who might know anymore about
this.

Thanks, Jayen.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 May 88 10:52 MST
From: RStallworthy@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Diskette drives -- 3.5" 1.44mb IBM vs. non-IBM

....{from RStallworthy%PCO@BCO-Multics}

RE: Non-IBM 3.5" 1.44 mb Diskette Drives

I have recently acquired from PC-Limited a 3.5" 1.44mb diskette drive
(apparently made by Sanyo).  However, the unit checks for a hole at a
certain location on the dikette (near lower right corner) and if the hole
is not found then the drive will not read, write or format in high density
(1.44mb) mode. I was told by PC-Limited that this is standard. On a PS2
model 80, there is no check for this hole, and it is possible to format
and write on diskettes without this hole.  Although the diskettes without
the hole are almost four times cheaper, I have a friend who has formatted
many of these diskettes on his PS2 model 80 all at 1.44mb and all with no
bad tracks, and has encountered no problems using these diskettes.

Aside from the fact that this looks like a major rip-off my drive appears
to be seriously non-IBM-compatible, since I will not be able to read any
diskette written on an IBM PS2 (without the hole -- who is going to pay
four times the cost to have a hole when they don't need one).  I am
surprised that I have not heard of this before. Has no one else made this
observation?

Richard Stallworthy {RStallworthy%PCO -at BCO-Multics}

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 May 1988  08:54 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: F11F12.ASM

F11F12.ASM is now in <msdos.keyboard>

--Keith

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 May 88 08:34 CST
From: KOEHLER%SASK.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Large array space compilers for '386 systems

        Several months ago, I put a request onto the net asking about
LARGE array space compilers for the IBM-PC.  I got a lot of leads from
various people (thanks to all) and most of them asked me to let them know
how it turned out.  Hence this MAIL.

        It turns out that getting a compiler which can create large array
space (ie., greater than 64K bytes) is only half the problem.  The main
problem is that DOS can't easily handle files greater than 64K so that you
need to either:

        1.  modify DOS with someone's 'DOS-Extender' - there are a couple
of these marketed or

        2.  go to another operating system such as one of the versions of
UNIX.

        Then, and only then, you buy a compiler which can create the large
array spaces.

        I did a lot of phoning around and finally decided to buy
Microport's version of Unix (even though I'm NOT an Unix fan) and
Metaware's Professional Pascal compiler to go with it - they also make a
version of C.  I'm just getting it all running on my COMPAQ DeskPro so
don't have much of an idea of how it's going to work out but, just reading
the documentation, it looks OK so far .. famous last words??

                Jim Koehler, Physics Dep't, U of Saskatchewan

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 May 88 23:01:02 MEZ
From: Erich Neuwirth <A4422DAB%AWIUNI11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Public Domain LEX

Recently TWETEN@GILMORE.NAS.NASA.GOV asked for a public domain source with
the source of LEX.  You can get it from the C User's Group, POB 97,
McPherson, KS 67460, USA.

It is on their disks 172 - 175

(including YACC and executables)

ERICH NEUWIRTH
A4422DAB  at  AWIUNI11   in   BITNET
Intitute for Statistics and Computer Science
University of Vienna
Universitaetsstr. 5/9
A-1010 VIENNA, Austria

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 May 88 12:51:34 EDT
From: Bruce_Kahn@MAYTAG.CEO.DG.COM
Subject: MSC 5.0 Unresolved External problem w/LIFE.C

  In my most recent digest Carl Fussell had a problem w/5.0 and the LIFE.C
program.  If you use the "combine" librarys option when installing, then
great but the linker wont look for them properly.  When you LINK in the
demo programs, you need to expressly specify the library names for the
model which you are using.  This was a problem I had when I first tried
using and the removing the "combined" librarys.  If you use the LIB on the
.LIB files, you can find the functions that LINK missed.

Bruce

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 May 88 10:25:39 EDT
From: Kenneth Van Camp (US Army FSAC) <kvancamp@ARDEC.ARPA>
Subject: The World Digitized: now available

I have uploaded "The World Digitized" to Simtel20, which is a 3-disk set
being distributed by PC-SIG.  It contains ASCII data for over 100,000
points defining the outlines of the continents, major islands, lakes, and
many political boundaries.  The data itself is shareware by John B.
Alison, and the standard distribution does not contain a viewing utility.
So I've included in the directory the source and executable for my own
simple viewing program (in SWIVEL.ARC), which is public domain.  Note that
SWIVEL requires an EGA-compatible graphics adapter to use.  Here are the
files to get from Simtel20:

Filename             Type   Bytes      CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.WORLDMAP>
00README.1ST.1            ASCII        1020  DA71H
AFRICA.ARC.2              BINARY      72351  C4F5H
ANTARCTI.ARC.2            BINARY      22013  F3E7H
ASIA.ARC.2                BINARY     135474  0EA3H
AUSTRALI.ARC.2            BINARY      28959  282EH
EUROPE.ARC.2              BINARY     119710  5F5AH
INFO.ARC.2                BINARY      17311  89C6H
NORTHAME.ARC.2            BINARY     250796  96F7H
SOUTHAME.ARC.2            BINARY      76256  14A7H
SWIVEL.ARC.2              BINARY      52374  FB79H
WORLD.ARC.2               BINARY      37829  AB15H

            --Ken Van Camp <kvancamp@ARDEC.ARPA>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 May 88 12:54:03 EST
From: Lois Buwalda <LOIS@UCF1VM>
Subject: CHECKSUM query

A normal, vanilla checksum algorithm will not catch transposition errors
(i.e., two characters that have been transposed will get through).  What's
a good quick-and-dirty substitute?

Lois Buwalda ( LOIS@UCF1VM )
University of Central Florida

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 May 88 00:25:42 EDT
From: Yogesh Shah <419333@UOTTAWA>
Subject: Serial card for PC/PS2

Can somebody tell me where I can get a serial communication card with the
following characteristics:

1. V.35 interface (alternatively RS449/422, or T1)
2. unbondled with s/w, i.e. I can buy the hadrware alone
3. programming interface open such that we can program it
4. HDLC mode (Bisync and Async would be nice too)
5. preferably can work all the way to T1 speed (1.544 Mbps)
6. Either for the PC or PS2

Any relevant information would be much appreciated.

Yogesh Shah

University of Ottawa /
Bell-Nothern Research
Ottawa, Canada

Tel: (613) 763-4016

419333@UOTTAWA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 May 88 11:56:11 GMT
From: Dermot O'Beirne <DOBEIRNE%IRLEARN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: SIMTEL TAR FILES

Can anyone tell me how I can sucessfully get TAR format files from the
SIMTEL archives at the RPICICGE LISTSERV. I cannot get direct access to
SIMTEL as I am on EARN/BITNET. The PD DIR suggests the TAR file I want
(TELNET21.TAR-Z) is in binary. IS this correct? If so how do I get it to
my PC in a format that I can use TARREAD.EXE on. I have a VM/CMS system
and VAX and I have tried kermitting it down as a binary file but then
obviously cant use TARREAD on this binary file. It does not seem to be
ASCII either. Is the NET corrupting the file beyond reasonable hope? Any
help much appreciated. Thanks.  How do I use the TARREAD if I do get the
file intact ?

Please reply directly to DOBEIRNE@IRLEARN.BITNET
Dermot O'Beirne
Computer Centre
UC Dublin, Ireland

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 May 88 18:32 EST
From: <NMILLER%TRINCC.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Statistics Programs

A colleague of mine is looking for a statistics program that is a) cheap
and b) simple enough for untrained adults to use.  What she wants is a
program that will build simple cross-tabs with percentages.  SAS and SPSS
are fine, especially the latter, but they cost big bucks and are
unnecessarily sophis- ticated for the purpose at hand.

Please send your suggestions directly to:
Professor Noreen Channels
Trinity College
Hartford, Ct. 06117

or: SABBAT@YALEVM

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 May 88 09:33:36 EDT
From: Bruce_Kahn@MAYTAG.CEO.DG.COM
Subject: Trapping Control-C Properly

  Is there some way to trap the Control-C interrupt w/in Microsoft C 5.0?
I have a routine that will trap it and throw it away but I still get the
^C character on my screen.  How can I prevent the character from being
displayed?  Can anyone suggest a good / small routine that will catch the
interrupt and ignore it?  Thanks in advance.  Bruce (KAHN@ADAM.DG.COM)

------------------------------

Date: 13 May 88 15:43:00 MDT
From: "SC-SCOTT W ANDERSON" <swanderson@mosaic-plus.arpa>
Subject: Upgrade of Baby Blue II Mother Boards

     We have several IBM PCs (model 5150) with Baby Blue II mother boards
by Microlog with 320k of memory.  We would like to upgrade these boards to
512k, but there are three switches and three sets of jumpers that need to
be adjusted for the upgrade.  There is no documentation here on the Baby
Blue boards so it is very difficult to set the switches and jumpers
correctly. We would appreciate any help regarding the mother board or the
company Microlog because we have not been able to contact them.

MY ADDRESS IS  <SWANDERSON@MOSAIC-PLUS.ARPA>
PHONE 505/846-2760

                                      THANKS IN ADVANCE,

                                      SCOTT ANDERSON