From uucp Thu Jan  3 02:18:46 1985
Date: 3 Jan 85 10:18:36 GMT
To: news
Subject: creation of new newsgroup

A new newsgroup called 'net.news.stargate' has been created by spar!decwrl!decvax!bellcore!allegra!ulysses!cbosgd!mark.

From news Sat Jan  5 00:36:40 1985
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 85 00:36:36 pst
To: news

Subject: Problems with your active file

The following newsgroups are not valid and should be removed.
	net.news.stargate

You can do this by executing the command:
	/usr/lib/news/rmgroup net.news.stargate

--
Ken Turkowski @ CADLINC, Menlo Park, CA
UUCP: {amd,decwrl,nsc,spar}!turtlevax!ken

spaf@gatech.UUCP (Gene Spafford) (01/11/85)

In article <628@turtlevax.UUCP> ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) writes:
>Should there be a net.news.stargate or not?
>We received a "create group" and a "remove group" within two days of each other.

Yes, net.news.stargate should exist.

In the rest of your article, it appears as if the "remove group"
message you reference was generated by running a "checkgroups" based on
the January 1 posting of that message.  net.news.stargate was not in
existence on Jan 1, so it didn't make it into the checkgroups message.
It will be in all subsequent such messages, and in subsequent postings
of the list of active groups.
--
Gene "7 months and counting" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332