hicks@WALKER-EMH.ARPA (Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS) (06/20/88)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Wed, 19 Jun 88       Volume 7 : Issue  29

This Week's Editor: Gregory Hicks -- Chinhae Korea <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>

Today's Topics:
                              3.5 inch Disks
                          AutoCAD Discussion List
                          Bug in Reminder program
                         Wendin PC Unix rebuttabl
                                EDT for PCs
                          MSC 5.0 Stack Overflow
Today's Queries:
                       A: external drive for PS/30.
                            Using WORM drives?
                        GKS Graphics Package Query
                          Novell/TCPIP questions
                             Graphics Software
                            Help getting files
                  Turbo-C Archived BUG Reports Anywhere?
                   Phonetics Package for IBM Compatible
                        MacDraw PICT files on PCs?

Info-IBMPC Lending Library is available from:

    Bitnet via server at CCUC; and from SIMTEL20.ARPA (see file
          PD1:<msdos>files.idx for listing of source files)

    SIMTEL20.ARPA can now be accessed access from BITNET via
       LISTSERV@RPICICGE.BITNET using LISTSERV Commands

Date: Sun 22 May 88 15:59:12-PDT
From: "Billy Brackenridge" <BILLY@venera.isi.edu>
Subject: 3.5 inch Disks

I put a Toshiba 3.5" disk on my AST Premium 286 running MS-DOS 3.3. This
drive is rated for 1.44 MB. I tried all possible combinations of the
driver= and drivparm= statements in both DOS 3.3 and 3.2. I couldn't get
the drive to format 1.44 MB or read a 1.44 MB drive written on a PS/2
model 80.

I spoke with technical support people at AST as I thought this might be a
problem with Phoenix BIOS 3.02. They in turn contacted Toshiba.

It seems the Toshiba model ND356T 3.5" drive has circuitry that detects if
the media is designed to be formatted at 1.44 MB. If the disk fails this
test not only will the drive not format the disk; It will refuse to read
the disk even if there is data written on it.

The drive in the PS/2 model 80 doesn't have this "feature" you can format
normal double 3.5" disks as either 720KB or 1.44 MB. You may have some
track errors but normal density disks will format, but other drives on
other systems probably won't be able to read the diskettes.

Diskettes rated HD cost about $7.00 each. I bought a pack and have had no
problems at 1.44 MB.

There is supposed to be a jumper to disable this feature somewhere. I am
tired of taking apart my machine so I haven't looked for it.

Needless to say this wreaks havoc with my Copy II PC card when writing
disks.  I use this card to read Macintosh files. This works fine but
writing them fails. I have never been able to get the phone to ring at
Central Point as the line is always busy. I suspect I will be able to
write in Mac format when I find the jumper.

While I was researching the subject of 3.5" disks, I found nobody has all
the answers for all machines. The rule seems to be get the latest version
of the operating system on the latest machine.

One friend had bought another model Toshiba 3.5" disk and was unable to
make it work because it wouldn't send the proper "disk change" or "door
open" signal.

------------------------------

Date: Sat 21 May 88 11:50:47-EDT
From: Ben Olasov <G.OLASOV@CS.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: AutoCAD Discussion List

There is, as of  yet,  no AutoCAD  discussion  group on  the  ArpaNet.
However the following bulletin may be of interest to you if  telephone
access isn't out of the question:

New CAD/ AutoCAD Bulletin Board

Discussions, news and software relevant to CAD generally, and AutoCAD (C)
AutoDesk in particular, are supported.  The primary aim of the CAD section
on this board is to be a resource for AutoLISP (and LISP) developers
generally, with some emphasis on applying knowledge representation
techniques in AutoCAD's LISP environment.  Contributions of public domain
AutoLISP code are heartily welcomed.  However, other forms of innovation,
such as new pattern files, text fonts- clever and useful  applications
generally- are strongly encouraged. Also, we very much need drawing
libraries such as steel sections, etc.  Many new, experimental and/or
research-oriented LISP applications will be made available on a regular
basis.

The dial-up number in New York City is (212) 980-0770.

Technical questions/ comments may be directed to Benjamin Olasov as email,
or at one of the following elctronic addresses, listed in order of
preference:

 Network Mailstop:   G.OLASOV@CS.COLUMBIA.EDU
 MCI-MAIL:           344-4003
 CompuServe:         71450,3313

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 May 88 10:11:23 EDT
From: Kenneth Van Camp (US Army FSAC) <kvancamp@ARDEC.ARPA>
Subject: Bug in Reminder program

 >   I use the REMINDER.ARC program from Simtel 20's
PD1:[MSDOS.DESKACCESS].
 >It worked fine until March 1 this year.  From playing around with the
date
 >it seems that Leap Day threw it off one day in its calulations.  Does
 >anyone have any suggestions or fixes ?  TIA.

I sent a fixed version off to Simtel20, and it's now in place:

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.DESKACCESS>
REMINDER.ARC.2            BINARY      30659  44CAH

                            --Ken  Van Camp
ARPANET or BITNET:        kvancamp@ARDEC.ARPA
USENET:                uunet!ardec.arpa!kvancamp

------------------------------

Date: 19 May 88 10:05:44 EDT (Thursday)
From: marty <Leisner.Henr@Xerox.COM>
Subject: Wendin PC Unix rebuttabl

According to Turgut Kalfaoglu <BILTUR@TREARN>:
>  I recently got Wendin's PcUnix. It's a UNIX OS, and a real one too. It
>supports up to 3 terminals, including the console.  I haven't had much
>previous exprience with Unix before, but the manual shows all the
>available commands (over 60)..

I too have a copy of Wendin's PC-Unix 1.04.  I also have their operating
system toolbox.  It was one of the first things I put on my PC two years
ago.

These products are an attempt to put a multitasking executive on top of
DOS and take advantage of the services provided.  Wendin provides a wide
range of small utilities and a shell which runs on this environment.
Nothing like lex/yacc/cc.  It is multi-user/multi-tasking.

The OS system call interface looks nothing like Unix (the system services
provided are [I was told by others] modeled after PDP-11 RSX-11).   The
commands (login, head/tail, stty, sh) makes it feel like Unix from a user
level.  But the source code looks nothing like Unix source code.

The real problem with Wendin was the lack of compatibility with
off-the-shelf MS-DOS software.  I wasn't able to run my ethernet with
PCNX.  I also had all types of problems with my C compiler.  In general,
these DOS supervisor environments are internally consistent (cooperating
applications work) but random programs cause problems.

Wendin announced a new product last year called Wendin-DOS which is a
complete rewrite of Ms/Dos (I understand).

Wendin is a worthwhile product if you are more interested in the source
code than the results and want a toy to play with.  For some $200, you get
a huge collection of source code.  I stylistically have problems with the
way they wrote the code (instead of having *.c files for source, they have
a bunch of *.i file and they configure their source by including these *.i
files -- I didn't like it -- made the code impossible to follow).  But the
code (after you find it) is readable and fairly clean.  The system
services though are kinda different.  It is capable of doing neat things
(look, ma, 3 people using Ms/Dos at one time).  But they better not be
doing much more than %cat *.c.  Two people at a time typing %make won't
work (one person at a time typing %make didn't work either if memory
serves me correct).

If you want a real Unix-like system (which support Unix system calls), get
a copy of Minix ($80 for disks from Prentice-Hall + $40 for textbook).
This is a Unix-compatible system with a modular (as opposed to monolithic)
kernel.  It also comes with a C compiler which can recompile the source
code in the system.

If you want a set of Unix compatible tools that work together on DOS, the
MKS toolkit does a good job.  The only real problem is the lack of
multitasking (i.e. pipes take forever to do anything significant).

marty
ARPA:      leisner.henr@xerox.com
GV:  leisner.henr
NS:  martin leisner:henr801c:xerox
UUCP:  nsc!nscimg!amps!marty

These is a public service announcement.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 May 88 08:46 CST
From: Les LaCroix <LLACROIX%carleton.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: EDT for PCs

In a recent Info-VAX article, Glenn Everhart (Everhart@ARISIA.ge.com)
writes:

> There is indeed something called SEDT which was on some old SIG tapes,
> but only for VAX and Rainbow; the PC version has not (as far as I know)
> been on any SIG tapes. The DECUS PC sig may possibly know something
> I don't on this, but it's questionable). The Rainbow version HAS been.

A new set of versions of SEDT have just been released by Anker Berg-Sonne.
They include versions for VMS, DOS, OS/2, Windows and ATARI ST.  The new
version is 3.3 and will be made available through DECUS for DEC systems.
If you can't wait until then, the new version is available from two
different sources:

     1) Send your order, with $25 to:

          Anker Berg-Sonne
          8 Middlemost Way
          Stow, MA  01775  U.S.A.

        Distribution is on 3 1/2" disks for the ATARI ST, 5 1/4" disks
        for all other systems.  Order ship times unknown.

     2) Send your order, with $13 minimum ($5 for library membership
(manditory), $5 for each SEDT volume, $3 for shipping and handling) to:

          International Rainbow Users Group
          P.O. Box 567
          O' Fallon, IL  62269  U.S.A.

        Distribution will be on Rainbow MS-DOS format RX50 disks.  All
versions are available except for the ATARI ST.  All versions have been
untested except the DOS version.  Specify the version required.  Also, as
these are new volumes to the library, they have not received volume
numbers yet.  Just state that you want SEDT version 3.3 and what O/S you
want it for.  Orders are shipped 30-60 days from receipt of order.

Paul Olson
WARUG Librarian
c/o International Rainbow Users Group
P.O. Box 567
O'Fallon, IL  62269

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 May 88 10:44:09 CST
From: David Camp <C04661DC%WUVMD.BITNET@CORNELLC.CCS.CORNELL.EDU>
Subject: MSC 5.0 Stack Overflow

:Regarding the stack overflow problem

     Believe it or not, try reducing your stack size.  MSC puts some other
things in the stack segment.  The stack size that you specify is that
amount reserved for the actual stack.  A large stack makes it impossible
for the stack and evrything else to fit in the stack segment, resulting in
a 'Stack Overflow' message.

-David-

| (314) 362-3635                  Mr. David J. Camp                    |
|                          ^      Division of Biostatistics, Box 8067  |
| Room 1108D             < * >    Washington University Medical School |
| 706 South Euclid         v      660 South Euclid                     |
|                                 Saint Louis, MO 63110                |
|   Bitnet: C04661DC@WUVMD.BITNET                                      |
| Internet: C04661DC%WUVMD.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU                      |
|       or: david@wubios.wustl.edu                                     |

------------------------------

Date: Wednesday, 18 May 1988 14:00:57 EDT
From: JM6M@andrew.cmu.edu
Subject: A: external drive for PS/30.

I have a 5.25" add-on drive for a PS2/30.  It naturally configures as B:.
Can I possibly configure it as A:?  ASSIGN, SUBST don't do the trick.  I
need to be able to respond sensibly to the order: "Insert key disk into
drive A".  Protected programs aren't redirected by SUBST or ASSIGN.

Thanks,

Jim Moore (JM6M@Andrew.cmu.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Thu 19 May 88 11:37:17-PDT
From: Ted Shapin <BEC.SHAPIN@ECLA.USC.EDU>
Subject: Using WORM drives?

Does anyone have experience with a WORM drive on a PC?  Which ones?  Good
or bad?

Ted Shapin.

------------------------------

Date: Mon,  9 May 88 12:00:52 PDT
From: homo obsolescensis <XB.K98@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: GKS Graphics Package Query

On behalf of an acquaintance who does not have access to the net, I am
seeking information about a graphics tool called GKS or MSCGKS.  It might
be used by government agencies such as NASA and the National Center for
Atmospheric Research.  We are not certain, but think that it might be in
public domain.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Walter Henry
xb.k98@forsythe.stanford.edu <Internet>
xb.k98@stanford              <Bitnet>
cin.sul                      <Envoy 100 /Conservation Info. Net.>

------------------------------

Date:     Wed, 18 May 88 08:01:29 MDT
From:     mwalters@UWYO.BITNET (Michael Joe Walters)
Subject:  Novell/TCPIP questions

I have a couple of questions that I hope someone might be able to help me
with.

     1. Is anyone using a Novell ethernet LAN and also accessing a TCP/IP
network through the same ethernet board in your micro?  What ethernet
board are you using?

      2. Is anyone using a Novell ethernet LAN and also accessing a TCP/IP
network through a board in the file serve? What board are you using?

We are using the Novell NE1000 board in our micros but have not been
successful in accessing a TCP/IP network. We have thought about using the
Micom 5210 board but Novell has not certified it to run on their Novell
network.

Any help on this would be appreciated......

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 May 88 11:17:35 MST
From: tharris@cacfs.arpa
Subject: Graphics Software

I am looking for a MS-DOS based graphics software package that is easy to
use, adaptable to making "military" symbols, relatively inexpensive and if
at all possible easily incorparated into word processing packages such as
Multimate or Wordstar.  Any information provided will be greatly
appreciated.  Information should be addressed to: tharris@cacfs.arpa

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Regards
Terry Harris

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 May 1988 17:52:31 EDT
From: "Robert E. Zaret" <ZARET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Help getting files

I have been having trouble using FTP to transfer binary files, and the
suggestions in Volume 7 Number 19 don't seem to help. I have an AT
connected via dedicated lines and a Series/1 protocol converter to an IBM
4381 running CMS.  I generally use ProComm on my AT, and use the Kermit
protocol to transfer files between my AT and the 4381.

I can FTP to SIMTEL20 and retrieve text files with no problem.  I can also
use the listserver at RPICICGE to transfer text and binary files with no
problem.  I cannot use FTP to transfer binary files from SIMTEL20.  I have
tried using the FTP command TYPE L 8, and then transferring DIRHIDE.ARC (a
nice short file suitable for tests). When it arrived in my AT, it was only
872 bytes (instead of 2K), and ARCE rejected it.  I then tried TYPE L, but
FTP said I had to specify the length.

I would also like to retrieve back issues of the digest, but cannot
retrieve ARCed files (problems with binary) and can't find a list of
issues available through RPICICGE.

Thank you.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 May 88 21:13:25 EDT
From: stev@vax.ftp.com (Stev Knowles)
Subject: Turbo-C Archived BUG Reports Anywhere?

(*sigh*)

i find myself assigned to work with Turbo C. the company has ordered the
software, and it should be here soon. up till now, i have been working
with MSC4.0, and have noted the bugs here as they have come along.  might
any of you saved the bug reports from here about turbo c? (i admit i didnt
save more than a few of the MSC bug reports, so i can understand that the
response might be scant . . . )

muchly thanx. . . . .

stev knowles, ftp software
stev@ftp.com

------------------------------

Date: 20 May 88 17:40:04 GMT
From: yunexus!writer!carr!stevenz@uunet.UU.NET (Steven Zepp)
Subject: Phonetics Package for IBM Compatible

I'm working with Ruth King, a Linguistics Prof here at York University on
a sociolinguistic study of PEI Acadian.  We are looking around for a
package that will help us manage phonetically transcribed text.  Here's
what we're looking for:

---A text-editing/wp package that handles the standard IPA (International
Phonetics Association) Alphabet, complete with the standard diacritical
marks.

---Good quality/readability on screen and dot-matrix printer

---Quick set up, easy to learn, and a reasonable run speed

---As inexpensive as possible (PD/Shareware would be very nice!)

---It should run on a Zenith pc (we're not interested in Mac software)

Please mail advice, recommendations, horror stories, etc., to either/both
of the addresses below (I will summarize and post if there is interest).
Thanks very much,

               Steven

----
Ruth King                 (416) 736-5016 ext. 8731
Department of Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics
S505A Ross Building
York University           RKING@YORKVM1.BITNET
4700 Keele Street         RKING@VM1.YORKU.CA
Downsview, Ontario
M3J 1P3

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 May 1988  22:19 MDT
From: "Frank J. Wancho" <WANCHO@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: MacDraw PICT files on PCs?

Is there a program which can read and manipulate MacDraw PICT files on a
PC?  Failing that, is there a program which can convert such files into
another format which can be read by a MacDraw-like program on a PC?  The
particular file in question is a map containing over 2,200 objects, and in
PICT format, is over 220K.

--Frank

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------