hicks@WALKER-EMH.ARPA (Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS) (07/20/88)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Wed, 20 Jul 88       Volume 7 : Issue  32

This Week's Editor: Gregory Hicks -- Chinhae Korea <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>

Today's Topics:
                         1.44MB 3.5" disks in ATs
                     Review of IBM Protection Programs
                        SIMTEL20->CMS->DOS Success
                    SIMTEL20 MSDOS files index updated
Today's Queries:
                        DG/1 External Floppy Drive
                             720 kbytes Disks
                              Chicken Farming
                       Possible Above Board problem
                    Request C++ and Smalltalk Compilers
               Spell-checkers for MS-DOS (German dictionary)
                          Spooling Files to Disk
                           TSR unloader/manager
                             VAXmate question
                         OpenNET Terminal Emulator
                Request for Documentation for the IBM PC/AT

Info-IBMPC Lending Library is available from:

    Bitnet via server at CCUC; and from SIMTEL20.ARPA (see file
          PD1:<msdos>files.idx for listing of source files)

    SIMTEL20.ARPA can now be accessed access from BITNET via
       LISTSERV@RPICICGE.BITNET using LISTSERV Commands

Reply to: <info-ibmpc@walker-emh.arpa>

Date: 2 Jul 88 13:52 -0500
From: Dan Fandrich <shad04%cc.uofm.cdn%ean.ubc.ca@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: 1.44MB 3.5" disks in ATs

I've come to the conclusion that installing a 1.44MB drive where there was
none before is not a task for the man in a hurry.  It took about 6 months
from the time I bought the drive until the time I got it working.  I found
the following text on Compuserve a couple of months too late, but it did
help clear up some questions.  It should be noted that the author of the
piece is also the author of Second Nature, an accessory ROM set for
PC-ATs.  I have no relationship with either product, person, or company
and cannot vouch for any one.

shad04@cc.uofm.cdn

NOTES ON THE USE OF 1.4 MB DRIVES IN AT-COMPATIBLES:

It wasn't long after 1.4 Mb drives became available on the aftermarket
that users discovered there are significant problems is applying then to
AT's. Many of Second Nature's users have asked for help or advice, as
SecNat has a feature to help in 3.5" disk installation on older AT's with
no BIOS 3.5" support.  All sorts of strange stories are filtering back
from the people who sell such drives, some of it contradictory, so I felt
it was time to get all the facts in one place.

The use of 720k 3.5" drives is non-controversial, and the drive
manufacturers' instructions are generally adequate.  1.4 Mb drives,
however, _will_not_ and _cannot_ work "out of the box", due to a
_basic_hardware_incompatibility_:

a) The Western Digital AT-type controllers (1002 & 1003 WA2) _hard-wire_
the state of the /Reduced Write Current output on Pin 2 to the
_data_rate_in_use_: Low for 300 kHz, High for _all_others_.  1.4 Mb drives
use the 500 kHz data rate for 1.4 Mb disks, and the 250 kHz data rate for
720k media.  THUS /RWC IS ALWAYS HIGH!

b) The 1.4 Mb drive requires that /RWC be LOW for 720k media, and HIGH for
1.4 Mb media.  Think of it being much like tape bias on a cassette deck --
if it's not matched properly to the media, full fidelity recording is
_impossible_.

Note that both of the above factors are _built_into_ the hardware, and
CANNOT be changed by the BIOS, or software drivers!  Thus 1.4 Mb drives,
when simply plunked in and hooked up, CANNOT properly record on 720k
media, and will normally TRASH a disk if a write is attempted!  Two
solutions are known to work:

1)  A switch on the drive allowing /RWC for the 1.4 Mb drive to be
independent of input Pin 2's state.  This may be done by installing a
small toggle switch in the extra front panel space of the 3.5" to 5"
adapter used for AT-mounted 1.4 Mb drives.  The connection to pin 2 of the
cable should be broken (on the drive side of the connector), and the
switch wired so that in the "720k" position the circuitry previously
connected to Pin 2 is closed to Logic Ground.  The switch is then open in
the other "1.4 Mb" position, and produces Low and High levels to /RWC,
respectively.  If 1.4 Mb BIOS support is available (if it's an option in
your SETUP program), operation will be exactly like a PS/2 1.4 Mb drive,
EXCEPT you must set the switch appropriately to the MEDIA IN USE.  If you
do not have BIOS support, you may use DRIVER.SYS to define the drive, with
an entry like:

     PCDOS 3.3:          DEVICE=DRIVER.SYS /D:1 /F:7 /S:18 /C

     AST MS-DOS 3.2:     DEVICE=DRIVER.SYS /D:1 /F:3 /S:18 /C
                                                   ^
                         (See your DOS Manual for the
                          correct /F: number for 1.4 Mb)

Command syntax for formatting will be as described in your DOS Manual.
REMEMBER TO USE THE DRIVE LETTER ASSIGNED BY DRIVER.SYS WHEN FORMATTING,
if you do not have BIOS support!

2)  The drive can be internally modified to control the state of /RWC from
the sensor for the extra hole in the body of a 1.4 Mb diskette.
Surprisingly I know of no commercial drive that does this, but I verified
it's practicality by today actually modifying an Astro brand Internal
Drive Kit, supplied as type 1), above.  Regrettably, modifying the
Mitsubishi drive in the Astro required milling of the casting, and
modification of numerous internal parts, but with some 4 hours work it was
done, and does indeed perform automatically as desired.  I suspect that
the absence of Media Type Sensors in most 1.4 Mb drives is due to the
proximity of the required sensor location to the Eject Button mechanism,
usually carried over from the manufacturers' earlier 720k drive.  With
this type of media-sensing drive operation is exactly as in a PS/2, in
that the only operator decision to be made is matching the Formatting
commands to the actual type of media in use.  There is an added advantage
in that you can't "wipe out" the media, by writing to, or formatting, a
720k diskette with /RWC High -- a mistake that usually requires a powerful
bulk eraser to repair, and causes the loss of any data already on the
disk.  Anyone wishing to supply a drive of this type may contact me for
full particulars of the Media Sensor to /RWC interconnection.

I'll note in closing that the Astro unit (advertised in InfoWorld) is
supplied with software said to work with any DOS 2.0 and above, at $295,
however if you have BIOS support you may use PCDOS 3.3 (or AST MS-DOS
3.2), instead of the supplied software.  They will not unbundle the
drive/software package.

Clyde Washburn
70305,1211

Late Note:  There is an unconfirmed report that the drive supplied
by Manzana has an automatic Media Type Sensor.

------------------------------

Date: Wed 15 Jun 88 15:36:53-PDT
From: Ted Shapin <BEC.SHAPIN@ECLA.USC.EDU>
Subject: Review of IBM Protection Programs

This file is IBMPROT.DOC.  Reviews of Virus Protection Programs.  Please
feel free to add to this list.

Version 1, 6/15/88, T. Shapin

Class 1 are programs that warn of changes to system files after the fact.
These methods either compute some sort of CRC or hash sum, or compare a
file against a copy of the file.  While it is theoretically possible for a
particular CRC to be forged, each program seems to use a different
algorithm for the computation so that different values are obtained.
Furthermore, each version of DOS will give a different values, so I doubt
that the signature can be forged practically.

CHKSUM.ARC, contains: CHKSUM.C, CHKSUM.DOC, CHKSUM.EXE, CRC16.C, STOI.C.
From: Bob Taylor, compiled using Turbo C 1.5.

What it does: Computes a redundancy check (CRC) for any file, (including
system and hidden), and compares a computed CRC for a file with a
specified one given as a parameter to the program. Wildcard file names and
more than one filename can be supplied as parameters. Either gives a
warning message or optionally sets a return code. On a vanilla 4.77 Mhz
PC, it takes about 7 seconds to check all three system files.

Evaluation:  Fast and very useful. [T.S.]

- - - -

CHECK-OS.ARC, contains: CHECK-OS.DOC, CHECK-OS.EXE, CHECK-OS.PAS.
From: R.J. Bartlett & Erik Ch. Ohrnberger
Compiled with Turbo Pascal version 4.0.

What it does: It checks the Filesize, File Date/Time (last updated), and
Checksum of COMMAND.COM, AUTOEXEC.BAT, and CONFIG.SYS. Will also check
system files.

Evaluation: On my system it would not handle the "FCBS=" parameter in my
CONFIG.SYS file. It needs some work. [T.S.]

- - - -

CHKUP14.ARC, contains: CHECKUP.DOC, CHECKUP.EXE, REGISTER.DOC.

From: Richard B. Levin. BBS's:  (215) 969-8379 or (215) 635-5226
Compiled Microsoft BASIC v.6.0

What it does: Compares a target file's size, its incremental checksum, and
its total checksum.

Evaluation: While the method of computing hash sums would be difficult to
forge, it prints lots of messages when it runs, and there is no provision
for returning error codes that can be tested in a batch file. I find the
the lack of source code a minus and the appeals for money obnoxious. [T.S]

- - - -

CONDOM.ARC, contains: CONDOM.BAT, CONDOM.DOC, CPY.C, CPY.EXE,
DIF.C, DIF.EXE, READ-ME.NOW.

From:
Charlie Ros5e [sic], Boulder, Colorado, BBS Fido Node 104/23, Account
Name: Charlie Rose; and Gerry Williams, Albuquerque, New Mexico, BBS Fido
Node 15/1001.

DIF.C and CPY.C, were compiled with Aztec C86, Version 3.40b, Manx
Software Systems.

What it does: CPY makes a reference copy of any file, including system, or
hidden. DIF compares a current file to the reference copy and sets an
error return code that can be tested in a batch file that indicates what
happened.

Evaluation: Very useful for checking system files for any changes. [T.S.]

- - - -

FILECRC.ARC, contains: COMPARE.CHN, COMPARE.COM, COMPARE.PAS,
FILECRC.COM, FILECRC.DOC and FILECRC.PAS.

From: Ted H. Emigh, Department of Genetics, North Carolina State University
Box 7614, Raleigh, NC   27695-7614, emigh@ncsugn.uucp, NEMIGH@TUCC.BITNET.
Compiled with Turbo Pascal 3.0.

What it does: FILECRC creates a list of all the files on the default drive
along with creation date, file size, and a CRC (cyclic redundancy check)
for each file.  When FILECRC is run again the new list is compared with
the old list.

Evaluation: I tried it on two systems and it didn't work.  They both hung
and I had to reboot. [T.S]

- - - -

SYSCHK1.ARC contains SYSCHK.EXE and SYSCHK.DOC.

From: Terratech, 19817 61st Ave. S.E., Snohomish, WA 98290

What it does: Performs checksums of the first and second files in the root
directory and the COMSPEC file.  These are the three system files.  The
first time the checksums are displayed.  If they are given as parameters,
they are compared against the current values. Error levels are set so a
batch file can test the results.

Evaluation: Works well.  This is shareware, with donation information only
given if you request it with "SYSCHK /?". [T.S.]

- - - -

VACCINE.ARC, contains VACCINE.EXE, VACCINE.DOC.

From: BBS (616)361-7500

What it does: A compiled BASIC program that will give the size, time and
date of a supllied file name. If these are given as parameters, it will
compare the current values with the parameters and print a message that
they agree or disagree.  It will not read files with the system attribute.

Evaluation: Probably not very useful. [T.S.]

- - - -

VIRUSCK.ARC contains: LICENSE, README, VIRUSCK.DOC, VIRUSCK.EXE.

From: Matt Cohen, PO Box 10589, State College, PA 16805-0589
Written in Turbo or Microsoft C

Source code: 83 lines

What it does: It runs a program and reports any changes in its size or
date after it is executed.

Evaluation: Not recommended. [T.S.]

Class 2 programs terminate and stay resident and attempt to stop
undesirable activity.

C-4.COM, INSTALL.EXE

From: Interpath, 4423 Cheeney St., Santa Clara, CA 95054,
(408) 988 3832.

What it does: This is a commercial product that costs $40.  It makes
itself resident, hooking vectors 9, 13, 21, 22, 26 and 2F.  A message pops
up if any forbidden disk activity tries to take place and gives you the
option of allowing or aborting the action. It protects against any program
that attemots an interrupt level write ti a disk, or any program that
attempts to modify or rename an EXE or COM program or CONFIG.SYS.

Evaluation:  It does not warn of batch file modifications. The vendor has
cooperative in modifying the program when indesirable interactions with
other TSR programs were found. Useful in a situation where existing
applications are being run.  Probably not suitable for use where
programmers are busy developing new programs. (These people seem to
operate the National BBS Society, too.) [T.S.]

- - - -

DPROTECT.ARC contains: DPROTECT.COM, DPROTECT.DOC, READ.ME.

From: Gee M. Wong for Public Domain use ONLY.

What it does: It installs itself as a resident program, and monitors the
use of the BIOS level interupt 13H to protect one or more disks. If it
detects a write request to a protected disk, it will warn you and then
reboot your PC.

Evaluation: Not very practical. I need to be able to write to my hard
disk. [T.S.]

- - - -

STOP1.ARC contains: NEWSTOP.ASM, NEWSTOP.COM, STOP.DOC.

From: Carey Nash, The Programmer's Forum, (818) 701-1021

What it does: TSR that hooks interrupt 13H used for ALL low level disk
I/O.  If write or format is requested, it will not allow interrupt 13 to
perform the command, but instead, it return a value to tell the calling
program that the write, or format was successful. It also uses interrupts
9 and 1C. It can be turned on and off from the keyboard.

Evaluation: When I tested it with a program that modifies sector 0, it an
error message saying A: was write protected. It might be useful in
particular circumstances with unknown programs, but I would not recommend
it for general use. [T.S.]

- - - -

HDSENTRY.ARC contains: HDSENTRY.ASC, HDSENTRY.ASM, HDSENTRY.COM, and
README.1ST.

From: Andrew M. Fried, 895 Cynthia Drive, Titusville, Fla. 32780
(305) 268-4500

What it does: It will enable you to run any program on a floppy drive
undisturbed, but prevent most programs from accessing the hard disk for
any type of destructive call.  Nondestructive calls such as reading or
resetting the drive are permitted; formatting and writing to the disk are
trapped and prevented from occuring.  Interrupt 26h, the absolute disk
write interrupt, is also effectively removed from the system by this
program.  Hooks interrupt vectors 13h and 26h.

Evaluation: Useful. It prevented a program from changing sector 0 on my
hard disk, although the program ran to completion and thought that it did.
[T.S]

- - - -

BOMBSQAD.ARC contains: BOMBSQAD.COM, BOMBSQAD.DOC. (Version 1.3)

From: Andy Hopkins, 526 Walnut Lane, Swarthmore, PA 19081.
BBS: 302-764-7522

What it does: It hooks interrupt vectors 13 and 70, intercepts calls,
displays what is going to happen, and asks if you want to continue

Evaluation: It did stop calls to write to a sector on my hard drive, but
it also interfered with being able to read from A: when it should have
allowed that operation. [T.S.]

Class 3 Combination programs.  These combine a check of system files with
a TSR part that watches for dangerous disk activity.

FSP-12.ARC contains: $READ_ME.1ST, $TOC, FLUSHOT.DAT, FLU_POKE.COM,
FLU_REG.FRM, FSP.COM, FSP.TXT, F_FEED, HARDWARE.TXT, MY_OWN.CPY,
PRINT.BAT, RAMNET.TXT, REWARD.FRM, REWARD.LST, THE_COOP.TXT,
UPDATES.TXT. [Flu_shot+]

From: Ross M. Greenberg, 594 Third Avenue, New York, N.Y. 10016
BBS:(212)-889-6438.

What it does: After performing a check sum of the three system files, it
installs itself as a TSR COMMAND.COM copy, hooking interrupt vectors 8, 9,
13, 20, 21, 26, 27 and 28.  It reads a data file that tells how you wish
files to be protected, e.g. no read, read only, no EXE or COM or BAT
files, etc.  When any program attempts to do something forbidden, a pop-up
window tells you and lets you abort or allow the operation.

Evaluation: Although PC Magazine, June 88 recommended it, a number of
people have reported serious bugs that have not yet been fixed by the
author.  At this time, this version is *not* recommended.

Miscellaneous

CHK4BOMB.EXE ("Check for Bomb").

From: Andrew M. Fried, 895 Cynthia Drive, Titusville, Fla. 32780
(305) 268-4500

What it does: It reads a .EXE of .COM program file from disk and attempts
to spot dangerous code and suspicious messages.

Evaluation: Useful for displaying text strings in program files, but of
almost no usefulness for virus protection. [T.S.]

- - - -

VIRU-SIM.TXT, VIRU-SIM.EXE.

From: National BBS Society/ICUG, 4423 Cheeney Street, Santa Clara, CA
95054.
Voice - 408 727 4559,   BBS - 408 988 4004

What it does: VIRU-SIM is a program that simulates characteristic
activities that .COM and .EXE infector viruses use for replication.  It
also simulates some of the destructive activities used by viruses to
destroy disk information.  It does not simulate the infection techniques
of boot infector viruses (such as the Pakistani Brain Virus).

VIRU-SIM may be used as a tool to test the effectiveness of anti-viral
measures and as demonstration tool for viral replication activities.

VIRU-SIM is available free of charge from the BBS Society's Homebase
bulletin board, or is available on diskette for a $3.00 mailing and
handling fee.

Evaluation: Useful for testing protection programs. [T.S.]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Jul 1988 08:15:14 EDT
From: "Robert E. Zaret" <ZARET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Subject: SIMTEL20->CMS->DOS Success

I recently requested help transferring files from SIMTEL20 to my micro via
an IBM mainframe.  After reading several replies (thanks :-) and
experimenting a bit, I have succeeded.  The trick is to issue the FTP
command TYPE I followed by TYPE 8 before transferring a file (actually,
TYPE 8, TYPE 32, and QUOTE TYPE seem to have the same effect).

A few details: I am using MS-Kermit 2.30 and a modem to connect my micro
to an IBM 4381 via a Series/1 protocol converter.  The 4381 is running
CMS.  I use FTP on the 4381 to connect to SIMTEL20.  The following
"recipe" successfully transferred the file from FTP to my micro:

1)  start up FTP on the 4381 and connect to SIMTEL20
2)  issue the FTP command TYPE I
3)  issue the FTP command TYPE L 8
    (or TYPE L 32 or QUOTE TYPE L 8)
4)  use the FTP command CWD to get to the right SIMTEL20 directory
5)  use the FTP command GET to transfer the file to the 4381
6)  use the FTP command QUIT to log off SIMTEL20 and shut down FTP
7)  start up CMS-Kermit on the 4381
8)  issue the CMS-Kermit command SET FILE-TYPE BINARY (MS-Kermit doesn't
need to be "told" that the file type is binary, but other communications
packages, such as ProComm, do need to be "told")
9)  use the two Kermits to transfer the file from the 4381 to my micro
10) "unarc" the file if it is an ARC file (I use ARCE30F).

The FTP commands TYPE L 8, TYPE L 32, and QUOTE TYPE L 32 seemed to have
identical effects.  The copies of the file were the same length according
to both CMS and DOS, and ARCE30F was able to "unarc" all three.

The FTP command TYPE L 8 was inadequate unless preceded by TYPE I The FTP
command TYPE I was inadequate unless followed by TYPE L 8, TYPE L 32, or
QUOTE TYPE L 8.  The version of FTP I use does not recognize the TENEX
command.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 1988  14:47 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: SIMTEL20 MSDOS Files Index Updated

I have just completed a major step forward toward indexing and describing
the files available in the MSDOS archives at SIMTEL20.  The following
files have been updated:

Filename        Type   Bytes      CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>
NODESCR.IDX.2        ASCII       53345  44EEH <--files not described
SIMIBM.HDR.2         ASCII         129  64C1H <--PC-File+ database header
SIMIBM.IDX.7         ASCII       91634  1C5FH <--files described

SIMIBM.IDX was automatically created by taking the latest
PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX (updated daily) and comparing it against a combined
list of current files on several BBS systems.  This was done with a Unix
"awk" script which appended the description line to the end of any line
where a match was found.  Because this was automated there may be some
erronious descriptions but the major part of it should be correct.

NODESCR.IDX is the output of the awk script for files that didn't match
the comparison list.

More work is to be done, but this is a good start.  The index is now over
90K (about 30K larger than before).

Also available:

Filename             Type   Bytes      CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>
FILDIF.ARC.1              BINARY      24240  2B53H
SIMIBM.ARC.5              BINARY      42596  4371H

FILDEF is a program for comparing a previous copy of PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX
with a new copy.  It displays the files added and deleted since you got
the older index.  This is useful if you are trying to maintain an archive
in sync with SIMTEL20.  It can generate output scripts for batch FTP
processing.

SIMIBM.ARC contains the latest SIMIBM.HDR and SIMIBM.IDX.

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the CP/M and MSDOS archives at SIMTEL20.ARPA [26.0.0.74]
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA
Uucp: {decwrl,harvard,lll-crg,ucbvax,uunet,uw-beaver}!simtel20.arpa!w8sdz

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Jul 88 08:49:51 EDT
From: "Robert E. Zaret" <ZARET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Subject: DG/1 External Floppy Drive

I have a DG/1 model 1 with an MPDA (Monitor, Printer, Disk Adaptor), and
would like to add an external 5.25" floppy drive.  Data General makes a
drive, but I don't think I want it (expensive and large).  Unfortunately,
I have been unable to find specifications for the drive port on my MPDA,
and am not about to experiment by simply plugging in a third-party drive.
I'ld appreciate some advice and/or specifications.

Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Jul 1988 12:46 CET
From: tom <FWVA%DS0RUS1I.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: 720 kbytes Disks

I have a problem: I have copied a disk from 3.5' 720kByte to 5.25' 720
kByte. The normal AT- drive , which can read 1.2 MByte and 360 kByte,
should be able to read this disk,too.  The 720 kByte disk has the same
format as the 360 kbyte, but 80 instead of 40 tracks. How can I tell the
AT to read my 720 kByte disk?  Many thanks for answering.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 88 02:58 PDT
From: PATRICK%IIL%sc.intel.com@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: Chicken Farming

This is not a joke !

 Has anyone heard about a program for the IBM PC about chicken breeding ?

 Thanks in advance for any information.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 88 20:39 PDT
From: "Henry W. Miller" <HMILLER%SCU.BITNET@jade.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Possible Above Board problem

        I just upgraded the noname XT in our office to DOS 3.3 from 3.1,
so I could readily exchange BACKUP format disks between that system and
the AT Clone, which is also running 3.3.

        The upgrade went well, with one exception that is driving me
batty.  The XT has an Intel Above Board and a Orchid PCturbo 286e turbo
board.  I commonly use the 2 Meg on the Above Board as a ramdisk, using
the Orchid software.  This worked fine under 3.1.

        Under 3.3, however, after the Turbo Board boots, I get a message
from the EMM handler complaining that it cannot find the Above Board.
This happens whether I am running 3.3 of the EMS software, or 4.0.
Naturally, the ramdisk software subsequently complains that it cannot find
EMS.  This happens with either the Orchid, Intel or Microsoft ramdisk
drivers.

    Note that I can access the ramdisk from the XT, but not from the Turbo
Board.  I have even cheated and made two copies of CONFIG.SYS, the system
boot one gets written over by the Turbo one, which is identical except
that it does not include the EMS and Ramdisk drivers.  I get no complaints
from that, but no EMS or Ramdisk in Turbo Mode, either.  I have also
reconfigured both the Above Board and the Turbo in many different
configurations with no luck.  Both pass their tests.

    I guess my main question is what are the differences in system
startup, memory allocation and CONFIG.SYS processing between 3.1 and 3.3.

-HWM

BITNET:         HMILLER@SCU.BITNET
Compuserve:     [76470,37]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Jul 88 09:26:21 ITA
From: FERENC%IECSEC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Request C++ and Smalltalk Compilers

I am looking for a C++ and Smalltalk compiler for my IBM PC. Do you know
any compilers supporting these languages?

Please reply directly to me (FERENC at IECSEC.BITNET), so I can summarize
it for the list.

Ferenc

------------------------------

Date: 1 Jul 88 10:13:52 GMT
From: solaris!wyle@uunet.UU.NET (Mitchell Wyle)
Subject: Spell-checkers for MS-DOS (German dictionary)

A professor here asked about GERMAN spelling checkers for the IBM-PC
running MS-DOS.  He is interested in commercial as well as PD/shareware
products.  Please mail him directly:  gander@ethz.uucp
(...!cernvax!ethz!gander).  The checker should NOT require a built-in
editor, or be part of another product (e.g. MS Word).  Neither he nor I
reads these groups, so please reply via mail.

Thanks,  -Mitch

Mitchell F. Wyle            wyle@ethz.uucp
Institut fuer Informatik     wyle%ifi.ethz.ch@relay.cs.net
ETH Zentrum
8092 Zuerich, Switzerland    +41 1 256-5237

------------------------------

Date: 10 Jun 88 12:51:01 GMT
From: "Thomas W. Dixon" <twdixon%thunder.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Spooling Files to Disk

     I am looking for a program that will spool files on the PC to disk
rather than the printer.  We have a public domain one called LPTx. It does
not work well when we try to print a file from inside WORD PERFECT, it
only sends 4096 bytes of the document to a file. If anyone knows of a
public domain or comercial package to do this could you let me know.

          Many Thanks
          Tom Dixon
          Lakehead University
          Computer Services
          Thunder Bay, Ontario

     Netnorth Address: twdixon@lakehead.bitnet
     UUCP Address: watmath!thunder!twdixon

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 88 22:22:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Philip H. Dye" <pd1h+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: TSR unloader/manager

Are there any utilities that allow one to remove a TSR from memory ?

Any form of Shareware, Public Domain, or Commercial packages are
acceptable.

Philip H. Dye

[You might try PD1:<msdos.sysutl>MARKREL.arc and MARKREL.DOC available via
ANONYMOUS login from SIMTEL20.ARPA.  I also seems to remember one being
published in an issue of PC-Magazine late last year.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Jul 88 22:52 PDT
From: CARL FUSSELL <CARL%SCU.BITNET@jade.berkeley.edu>
Subject: VAXmate question

We are using DEC's AT clone known as the VAXmate.

The vaxmate, when running PC software, has essentially a CGA display.  (I
realize it is capable of higher resolution).  My question is, does anyone
know of any third party vendors that sell ega upgrades for the VAXmate
(other than putting an ega card and 2nd monitor on the system)?

Thanx for any info...

Carl Fussell
Santa Clara Univ
BITNET:   CARL@SCU   (preferred)
INTERNET: G.FUSSELL@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU

------------------------------

Date: 3 Jul 88 09:47 GMT
From: aprm @ Hawaii-EMH.arpa
Subject: OpenNET Terminal Emulator

Here at WESTCOM DCSRM we have set up an 802.3 LAN based on Intel's
OpenNET, with several Intel 320s as servers and a bunch of PC as worksta-
tions.

We are not real thrilled with iPC, Intel's terminal emulator that can log
in to XENIX over the net.  We have tried MSKERMIT, but it requires NETBIOS
(true?) and OpenNET does not support that yet, due out 4Q88.  We want a
program that does a *good* vt100, 102, or 220 emulation. Support for line
drawing graphics and slave printers are needed.  Anybody have anything
that works?

Gary Dunn, WESTCOM DCSRM IMO
aprm@Hawaii-EMH.arpa
(808)-438-2716

------------------------------

Date:     5-JUL-1988 13:45:54 GMT
From:     ALLIN1%ASTON.AC.UK@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject:  Request for Documentation for the IBM PC/AT

    We have an AT (TRUE BLUE) with a Professional Graphic Controller for
which we have no information whatsoever.

    IBM UK, for the most part, seem not to even be aware that it ever
existed

    We belive that it will emulate both CGA & EGA, however ours seems to
be stuck in CGA mode and of course we want to try some packages that
require EGA.

    We would also like to use the very extensive features that this beast
is supposed to offer.

    1) Can any one supply Documents, Diagnostic Discs or bitter
experiences.

    IBM UK have consistantly failed to come up with any assistance.

    2) All assistance will be very thankfully received (Especially from
IBM!), and a summary WILL appear on this net (Even if we don't get any
answers) by say mid-Aug.

Chris. Hutton

Postal Address:

Dept. Electrical and Electronic Eng. and Applied Physics
Aston University, Aston Triangle
Birmingham, B4 7ET United Kingdom
Telephone:   +44 21 359 3611 Ex 4948

Electronic Mail Address:

Janet:    Huttomcm@ukac.aston.mail
EARN/BITNET:  Huttoncm%uk.ac.aston.mail@ukacrl
ARPAnet:  huttoncm%mail.aston.ac.uk%ukacrl.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu

Disclaimer:  ALL MY OWN WORK!! My employer does not consider that problems
ever exist

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------