hicks@WALKER-EMH.ARPA (Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS) (08/01/88)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 31 Jul 88       Volume 7 : Issue  34

This Week's Editor: Gregory Hicks -- Chinhae Korea <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>

Today's Topics:
                           DOS 4.0 announcement
                          QuickBASIC 4.00b update
               Reply to request for documentation for PC/AT

Today's Queries:
                                 386 unix
                                 Btoa/Atob
                          IEEE-488 and Intel 386
                               Kermit Server
                               macro key TSR
                       Problems with ELT-Motherboard
                      Manhattan PC Users' Group Query
             Standards for dumping PC graphics screens request

New Programs Section:
                   New programs available from SIMTEL20

Info-IBMPC Lending Library is available from:

    Bitnet via server at CCUC; and from SIMTEL20.ARPA (see file
          PD1:<msdos>files.idx for listing of source files)

    SIMTEL20.ARPA can now be accessed access from BITNET via
       LISTSERV@RPICICGE.BITNET using LISTSERV Commands

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <Info-IBMPC@Walker-EMH.arpa>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
    the distribution list, et al) to: <Info-IBMPC-Request@Walker-EMH.arpa>

Date: Fri, 22 Jul 88 13:18:41 EDT
From: Joe Morris <jcmorris@mitre.arpa>
Subject: DOS 4.0 announcement

IBM's announcement of the new version of DOS (dated 19 July 88):

288-380   IBM Disk Operating System (DOS) Version 4.00

Disk Operating System Version 4.00 provides significant new capability
that enhances DOS as the single tasking operating system of choice for the
IBM Personal Systems/2 and Personal Computer families.  It is the primary
operating system for 8086/8088 microprocessors and servers as an interim
entry level operating system solution for 80286/80386 systems.  A new DOS
Version 4.00 user shell provides an easy-to-use way to interact with the
system.  Large fixed disk  support and integrated expanded memory support
are included in DOS Version 4.00.

[The entire text of the announcement is available via anonymous FTP from
SIMTEL20.arpa in Directory PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>PCDOS40.ANNOUNCE.1  --gph]

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 19 July 1988  10:50-MDT
From: uwvax!nicmad!brown@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU (Mr. Video)
Subject: QuickBASIC 4.00b update

Yesterday I received my updated copy of QB4.0, now called 4.00b.  If you
have QB4.0, call Microsoft to get your update shipment.  It will not be
sent automatically.

[Included with this message was a quite lengthy UPDATE.DOC file.  The ar-
ticle is copyrighted by Microsoft.  As I am not a copyright lawyer and
thus do not know the ins and outs of the finer points of law, I have not
in- cluded it in this digest.  If Microsoft gives me permission to
distribute the file via this digest, I'll forward it in a future issue.
--gph]

------------------------------

Date: 22 Jul 88 16:02:00 MDT
From: "TRW-BEN KLAUSNER" <bxklausner@mosaic-plus.arpa>
Subject: Reply to request for documentation for PC/AT

>>>Date:     5-JUL-1988 13:45:54 GMT
>>>From:     ALLIN1%ASTON.AC.UK@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
>>>Subject:  Request for Documentation for the IBM PC/AT
>>>
>>>    We have an AT (TRUE BLUE) with a Professional Graphic Controller for
>>>which we have no information whatsoever.
>>>
>>>    IBM UK, for the most part, seem not to even be aware that it ever
>>>existed

Chris... here, in no particular order, are some telephone numbers that may
be of some assistance to you in your attempt to locate IBM documentation.
Not sure how much use the 800- numbers will be to you in the UK, but have
included them in case you have a US contact who can call on your behalf.

        IBM (Documentation Center?)             (800) 426-7282
        IBM Personal Computer Group             (305) 998-2000
        IBM (Corporate HQ?)                     (800) 426-2468
        IBM Information/Referral                (800) 426-3333
        IBM National Service Division           (201) 329-7000
        IBM Customer Service Division           (201) 848-1900

Good Luck.
[bk]

BXKLAUSNER@MOSAIC-PLUS.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: 23 Jul 88 21:33 EDT
From: (Stephen Tihor) <TIHOR@ACF6.NYU.EDU>
Subject: 386 unix

This message is being sent for a friend not in the net so please also cc

Does anyone have experience with Dell computers, i.e. PC's Limited,
running UNIX? I am trying to find out if a Dell model 310 is compatible
with the PC unix: Zenix 386, Microport, or Interactive Systems. Has anyone
run into quirks or compatibility problems with the Dell-310? The reason I
am concerned that it dies horribly using Chessmaster-2000 in a way that
suggests there is something wrong with the memory caching scheme, also a
Mouse Systems "PC Mouse" when connected to the motherboard serial port
will not run although if I insert a serial port card the mouse >does<
work! The machine is an excellent bargain in high speed but I need to know
UNIX will work.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 88 10:57:51 EDT
From: Ken Van Camp <kvancamp@ARDEC.ARPA>
Subject: Btoa/Atob

The public domain Btoa and Atob programs are popular replacements on Unix
systems for Uuencode and Uudecode.  I have tried (unsuccessfully) to port
them to the PC.  Has anyone managed to do this?

                            --Ken Van Camp
ARPANET or BITNET:  kvancamp@ARDEC.ARPA   -or-   kvancamp@AC4.PICA.MIL
USENET:  uunet!ardec.arpa!kvancamp@UUNET.UU.NET

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 88 23:03 EST
From: Robert Adsett
<SEMICON%WATSCI%watmta.UWaterloo.CA@CORNELLC.CCS.CORNELL.EDU>
Subject: IEEE-488 and Intel 386

  I have a problem that is slowly driving me banannas ;{).  First a little
background.

  We use the IEEE-488 communication standard extensively here for
experimental work.  The board we use is the Scientific Solutions/Tecmar
board based on the Intel 8291a/8292 chipset.  We have a considerable time
investment in the software we use to run it so we are not likely to switch
to another chipset.  The board works well in the wide variety of PC's and
clones that we use.

  Now for the problem:  We recently purchased a PC Clone based on the
Intel 386 motherboard and an IEEE-488 board to go with it.  Now when we
tried to run our application on it the transfer rate went DOWN.  The last
thing in the world I expected was for an application on a 386 machine to
be slower than the same application on an 8088 based machine 8{).  The
slow- down wouldn't be noticed to someone transfering a few bytes every
couple of seconds (its ~1/10 of a second for every data point we get) but
in our case it's critical.

  The first thing that occured to me to check was the clock speed of the
bus (the 8292/8291a set is limited to 8Mhz), but it is only running at
8Mhz and a 8088 PC clone we have also runs at 8Mhz and it doesn't show
these symtoms.  I measured both buses and yes they are running at 8Mhz.

  That being said something is obviously different between the Intel 386
motherboard and the aforementioned PC, but what?  Incidentally slowing
down the Intel motherboard using their keyboard sequence doesn't help.
I've run out of ideas, has anyone else got any suggestions?

  Please respond to me directly.  Thanks in advance for any replys.

  On a separate note someone wanted to know if there is a archived bug
list for Turbo C.  I don't know of an archived one but I do have access to
a current one that is being actively compiled on TURBOC-L.  If you like I
can post it here.  Requests anyone?

                Robert Adsett   <SEMICON@WATSCI.BITNET>
                                <SEMICON@WATSCI.UWaterloo.ca>
                Dept. of Phys.
                Univ. of Waterloo
                Waterloo Ont. Canada

"'Freedom' has no meaning of itself.  There are always restrictions, be
they legal, genetic, or physical.  If you don't believe me, try to chew a
radio signal."

                        Kelvin Throop, III

------------------------------

Date: 27 Jul 88 01:03:36 GMT
From: munnari!munginya.cs.mu.oz.au!jayen@uunet.UU.NET (Jayen Vaghani)
Subject: Kermit Server

Does any one know of a backgroundable kermit server for MS-DOS, preferably
one that is capable of detecting incoming calls properly?

I'm using Mirror at the moment but it has real problems with detecting the
carrier detect from the modem when a call comes in. It is easy enough to
have the modem force the CD high all the time but then Mirror's logon and
password facility become ineffectual. If anyone knows how to get around
this problem then I would like to here from them. The version of Mirror
I'm using is 3.6.12.

Thanks, Jayen.

UUCP:      {uunet.uu.net,ukc,ubc-vision,mcvax}!mulga.oz!jayen
ARPA:      jayen%mulga.oz@uunet.uu.net
CSNET:     jayen%mulga.oz@australia
orts all member

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 88 12:35 CDT
From: Mark Roseman <ROSEMAN%ccm.UManitoba.CA@CORNELLC.CCS.CORNELL.EDU>
Subject: macro key TSR

I'm looking for some kind of (public domain) program which will allow me
to define up various key sequences (typically Alt-key) to send a sequence
of keys.  I need this to configure an editor in a program I have (JPI
Modula-2) to do a number of steps with one keystroke...  the package
doesn't have such macros built-in.

If anyone can give me the name of such a program, I would appreciate it.
Please reply direct to me, and I'll summarize to the net.

Mark Roseman
ROSEMAN@ccm.UManitoba.CA

[PROKEY is one such commercial program...  There are many others.  I
believe that some are available from the archives at SIMTEL20.  --gph]

------------------------------

Date: 25 JUL 88 09:37-
From: FAUI00::I615  "M. Tielemann, IMMD VI - Uni Erlangen"
        <FAUI00::I615%DECNET%DERDBS5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Problems with ELT-Motherboard

We have some problems with our ELT-286A board, so I'am looking for the
address of "ELT". It's a board manufactor for those "wonderful" ELT-A
motherboards.  Can anybody forward the mail-address or e-mail-address?

I'am also looking for the new BIOS version 3.3  Does anybody know where we
can buy one?

Greetings,
   M. Tielemann

Mailaddress: M. Tielemann
             c/o University of Erlangen
                 Department of Computer Science 6
                 Martensstrasse 3
                 8520 Erlangen
                 West Germany

                 e-mail: mick@derdbs5.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: 21 Jul 1988 12:08-EDT
From: NGALL@G.BBN.COM
Subject: Manhattan PC Users' Group Query

Can anyone point (by address or telephone number) me to any PC (IBM and
clones) Users' Groups that meet in Manhattan?  I'm moving from Boston to
Manhattan and would like to join a local group.  Thanks.

-- Nick (ARPAnet: gall.bbn.com)

------------------------------

Date: Sun 24 Jul 88 16:06:43-EDT
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Standards for dumping PC graphics screens request

ways to make IBM PC Kermit dump its Tektronix graphics screens to a file
for later printing.  Clearly, given the multiplicity of printers and their
graphics commands, it is impractical for Kermit to try to support printers
directly.  But if a simple file format could be settled upon, then users
with different kinds of printers should be able to write the appropriate
translators.

The file is obviously going to be raster-oriented, rather than in some
graphics description language like CGM, GKS, postscript, etc, because
we're dumping the screen image to a file, not remembering all the strokes
and objects involved.  For those who would rather have it the other way,
there are always the Tektronix commands themselves, which can be captured
to a file, and which are as close to a standard as anything else.

A desirable characteristic would be allowing pictures to be blindly ap-
pended to an existing file.  That greatly simplifies Kermit operations.
Another would be a compact representation.  Another would be preservation
of color, resolution, and other PC screen attributes.  We already have a
preliminary design along these lines, but would like to follow a standard
if one exists already.  Does anyone know of a commonly-used file represen-
tation for PC raster graphics, taking into account the many popular
display adapters and resolutions?

Thanks!  - Frank

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Jul 1988  19:23 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: New programs available from SIMTEL20

Now available via standard anonymous FTP from SIMTEL20.ARPA...

Filename        Type       Bytes      CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.TURBOPAS>
STRINGS.ARC.1   BINARY     9742       9DBBH

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.TXTUTL>
SEARCH.ARC.1    BINARY     9520       FA8CH  another dos-enhancer program.

keywords, and you define the relationship between these words. For
example:

SEARCH "war" AND "Peace" *.DOC *.TXT > myfile

will search all DOC and TXT files for lines that have both 'war' and
'peace' in it. ('war' and 'peace' is my favorite example :) It will then
send its output to myfile...

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.MODEM>
GT1402_1.ARC.1            BINARY     130764  EEBAH
GT1402_2.ARC.1            BINARY     164103  18F0H
GT1402_3.ARC.1            BINARY      84370  2642H
GT1402_4.ARC.1            BINARY     120813  785BH
GT1402_5.ARC.1            BINARY      53730  5A5AH
GTPCPS4D.ARC.1            BINARY       9916  1527H
GT_MISC.ARC.1             BINARY      11969  8866H

GT-PowerComm files.  Note the underscore which replaces the dash in the
filenames.

<msdos.arc-lbr>ARCINDX2.ARC  index all files contained in all archives

<msdos.arc-lbr>SHARC7.ARC another front end for pk(x)arc both extract
                          and create archives

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.DESKPUB>
ARTMART1.ARC.1       BINARY      86476  9B8DH
ARTMART2.ARC.1       BINARY     122538  4055H
ARTMART3.ARC.1       BINARY     101637  1F7EH
ARTMART4.ARC.1       BINARY     109367  865CH
IROC.ARC.1           BINARY      65688  6EECH
VNTURART.ARC.1       BINARY      24107  EF9FH
VP-ART1.ARC.1        BINARY      34816  7FC0H
WSTYLE.ARC.1         BINARY     166379  A0DCH

All are various art and art manipulators for programs like Ventura.

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.ZMODEM>
DSZ0719.ARC.1        BINARY      76981  2F09H <--X/Y/ZMODEM prot. module
ZCOMMDOC.ARC.5       BINARY     248490  559FH \
ZCOMMEXE.ARC.6       BINARY     154702  7878H  > Latest Zcomm from Forsberg
ZCOMMHLP.ARC.5       BINARY     121114  EE25H /

PD:<MSDOS.TURBOPAS>STRINGS.ARC

string manipulation, modeled after the string functions available in IBM's
Rexx language.  I hope someone finds it useful ..

SEA has just recently released ARC522.  It's available as:

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.ARC-LBR>
ARC522.EXE.1              BINARY      87040  D62BH

This is a self-extracting archive.

The documentation for the new version says that it is supposed to handle
non-standard LZW-compressed ARCs (one assumes that is a vague reference to
PKARC's "Squashed" members), however it doesn't seem to be able to do
this.

The program is still as slow as ever, about five times slower than PKARC.
If you find a copy of it on your local BBS here's how to check to make
sure it is authentic.

After running ARC522.EXE to extract its files you should see:

ARCE     COM     7136   9-16-87   3:12a
ARC      DOC   103359   3-31-88   5:22p
ARC      EXE    32706   3-23-88   3:22p
ARCE     DOC    11373   9-16-87   3:12a
ARCORDER TXT     4309   3-31-88   5:14p

Using CRC67, a CRC checking program, to check the files you should see:

--> FILE:  ARCE    .COM        CRC = D0 6A
--> FILE:  ARC     .DOC        CRC = 45 FD
--> FILE:  ARC     .EXE        CRC = 85 68
--> FILE:  ARCE    .DOC        CRC = 9E D8
--> FILE:  ARCORDER.TXT        CRC = A1 9C

If you don't have CRC67, use the new ARC.EXE to make an archive of the
extracted files.  The archive should look like this (note the CRCs and
file sizes).

Name          Length    Stowage    SF   Size now  Date       Time    CRC
============  ========  ========  ====  ========  =========  ======  ====
ARC.DOC         103359  Crunched   56%     46239  31 Mar 88   5:22p  B4A5
ARC.EXE          32706  Crunched   29%     23230  23 Mar 88   3:22p  6AFB
ARCE.COM          7136  Crunched   11%      6358  16 Sep 87   3:12a  A8A1
ARCE.DOC         11373  Crunched   59%      4685  16 Sep 87   3:12a  2CB8
ARCORDER.TXT      4309  Crunched   53%      2043  31 Mar 88   5:14p  80DB
Total      5    158883             49%     82555

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the CP/M and MSDOS archives at SIMTEL20.ARPA [26.0.0.74]
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA
Uucp: {decwrl,harvard,lll-crg,ucbvax,uunet,uw-beaver}!simtel20.arpa!w8sdz

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------