hicks@WALKER-EMH.ARPA (Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS) (08/29/88)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Mon, 29 Aug 88       Volume 7 : Issue  39

This Week's Editor: Gregory Hicks -- Chinhae Korea <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>

Today's Topics:
                       FluShot+ (FSP) 1.4 Bug Report
                       HELP REQUEST WITH SEGATE-238
                          Hard disk for model 25
                      Signoff for R20.UTEXAS.EDU host

Today's Queries:
                     WEAKLINK Public Domain Available?
                        BIOSCOM function in Turbo C
                            Failing hard drives
                              3270 emulation
                                 Joymouse

Today's Program Submissions:
                            EXEC.ASM submitted

Info-IBMPC Lending Library is available from:

Bitnet via server at CCUC; and from SIMTEL20.ARPA (see file
    PD1:<msdos>files.idx for listing of source files)

SIMTEL20.ARPA can now be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
    via LISTSERV@RPICICGE.BITNET and in Europe from
    TRICKLE@TREARN (Turkey) and TRICKLE@DKTC11 (Denmark)

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <Info-IBMPC@Walker-EMH.arpa>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
    the distribution list, et al) to: <Info-IBMPC-Request@Walker-EMH.arpa>

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 88 17:36:41 GMT
From: Dick Flanagan <slvblc!dick@ucscc.UCSC.EDU>
Subject: FluShot+ (FSP) 1.4 Bug Report

Like a lot of folks, I looked at Ross Greenburg's lastest version of FSP
with combined anticipation and caution, since his previous versions had
bitten me pretty badly.  But I thought I would give it a try and see if he
had at least fixed some of the bugs in FSP 1.2 that I had emailed to him a
couple of times before.

My first test was to setup FSP to flag my autoexec.bat and config.sys as
being both unreadable and unwritable.  This is supposed to prevent *any*
form of "unauthorized" access from being allowed or going undetected.
Then I attempted to edit both of these files with my Brief editor.

Magic!  Brief was able to read and write both of these files without so
much as a peep from FSP.

I have to say that FSP did detect and prevent casual TYPE's and COPY's of
these files, but if I were writing a trojan or virus, I would simply use
whatever file mechanism Brief uses and leave FSP guarding an empty house.

Dick

--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD                         GEnie: FLANAGAN
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!slvblc!dick           Voice: +1 408 336 3481

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 88 23:32 MDT
From: "Fred R. Glahe" <GLAHE%VAXF.COLORADO.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: HELP REQUEST WITH SEGATE-238

In the July/August 1988 issue of MICRO CORNICOPIA magazine there is an
a quote:

        I wouldn't like to admit how many Seagate 225s, 238s, and 213s we
sent out for repair before we discovered how to fix a frequent failure.

        SYMPTOM: Drive loses data and format (more noticeable with temp-
erature changes).

        SOLUTION: The problem is caused by expansion of the chassis as the
allow the case to expand normally as it heats up and the drive loses its
alignment.  Three screws hold the circuit board to the drive housing.
Lossen the screw nearest the the front of the drive (finger tight).  Then
reformat the drive (low level, fdisk, g anything.

There is another article in this magazine entitled "Keeping Your Hard
Drive Running," by David J. Thompson that is very good.

I was having trouble booting my PC in the morning when it was cold.  Since
lossening the screw mentionsed above, I have had no more problems.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 88 12:33:08 EDT
From: Orlando_Portale@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Hard disk for model 25

IBM is marketing a Hard Disk which will work with the Model 25.  Also I
have successfully used Plus Development Hardcards in the device as well.

------------------------------

Date: Wed 17 Aug 88 09:42:51-CDT
From: Donald Blais <CC.BLAIS@R20.UTEXAS.EDU>
Subject: Signoff for R20.UTEXAS.EDU host

XX-Header: The R20.UTEXAS.EDU node is going away.  Make other mail routing
           arrangements!!!!!

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 88 00:44:37 GMT
From: Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>
Subject: Re: Signoff for R20.UTEXAS.EDU host

Do you know if there will be any alternate net addresses for R20?  Will the
users be going anywhere?

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

-------

Most R20.UTEXAS.EDU users will be moving to local UNIX systems where
they will have access to the comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest newsgroup.  Thanks
for asking about it.

-- Donald Blais

[Another host bites the dust...  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 88 13:13:02 -0200
From: unido!mpirbn!p068rol@uunet.UU.NET (Roland Lemke)
Subject:  WEAKLINK Public Domain Available?

I am searching for an public domain programm called 'WEAKLINK'
Any ideas where I can look?

thanks for your help
Roland.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 88 11:11:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: Michael Sandrof <ms5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: BIOSCOM function in Turbo C

I've been having trouble recently with the bioscom function inTurbo C.
I've been trying to do some simple serial communication, yet I have had no
success.  Actually, I have had some success.  A while back I wrote a
control program for a UMI robot in Turbo C using the bioscom function with
great success... it worked.  But now, some two months later, even those
same routines I wrote way back when don't seem to work.  I've tested the
serial port... works fine with other applications (if that could be
considered "testing").  The only thing that's changed since then and now
is that we switched to DOS 3.3.  Any clues, hints, suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.

Mike Sandrof
Robotics Institute
Carnegie Mellon University

Arpa: ms5n+@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 88 15:19 EST
From: <GILL%QUCDNAST.BITNET@CORNELLC.CCS.CORNELL.EDU>
Subject: Failing hard drives

     I have (had) a 20Mb hard drive on my Z-151 that was installed about
2.5 years ago.  Until it failed last month, I had never heard any mention
of a short, finite life span attributed to hard drives.  My perhaps naive
opinion was that they would last as long as one owned the computer, say
your 5-7 year range.  Now, Computing Services tells me that 2 years is an
*AVERAGE* lifespan, and I should be happy that it had lasted for 2.5
years!

     What is going on here?  Are all drives so bad?  Are there some out
there that are dependable?  How important is the work environment for the
lifespan of the hard drives?  Why is everyone accepting trash that dies
after a couple of years, or is this part of the American consumer society?
I cannot believe that large corporations would accept vital hardware that
had a 2 year failure time.

     I shall be a bit more careful in chosing the brand for my next one.
Any suggestions?

                                     -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Arnold Gill                         | If you don't complain to those who  |
Queen's University at Kingston      | implemented the problem, you have   |
gill @ qucdnast.bitnet              | no right to complain at all !       |
                                     -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[My TANDON 20mb hard disk has been humming right along for the past 4+
years, if that gives any indication of life span...  I have no connection
with the Tandon Company, just a satisified user...  -gph]

------------------------------

Date:         Wed Aug 17, 1988 09:29:17 CDT
From:         'Bryan Ferguson' <DPBF%SIUEMUS.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject:      3270 emulation

I have a user with an IBM PS/2 Model 30. He put an IBM 3278/79 Emulation
Adapter card in and installed IBM's PC 3270 Emulation Program Ver 3.02.
The card is new short card version.

We are connected via coax to a 3274-41d controller running Release 65.02
of the controller software. The PC 3270 software states that Release 65 or
above is required.

I cannot get the host to respond or else the PC is not recognizing the
controller. I get the screen the documentation says I should except that
it should then disappear to be replaced by the host logon screen.  The
message on the operator line does not show that connection has been made
and the host screen never appears.

I posted a query to Advise-L and was told that the short card will not
work in a Model 30, but when I called IBM they assured me (in their
infinite wisdom) that the short card is acceptable.

Any ideas before I throw the machine off the roof? Thanks in advance.

                                 Happy trails,
                                     Bryan

Bryan Ferguson
Academic Computing
Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville
<dpbf@siuemus>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 88 21:50:29 MDT
From: hamilton%nmsu.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: Joymouse

Microsoft Windows version 1.03 has a driver called JOYMOUSE.DRV.  Is it
what the name implies, i.e., a device driver that allows a joy-stick to
be used like a mouse?

Assuming the above is true, I have the following questions:

1) What kind of joy-stick is supported (brand name) or will any joy-stick
work?

2) Is it really connected to the game port on an IBM PC or
compatible when it is used as a mouse?

3) Can one avoid sliding it around on a flat surface like a normal
mouse?

4) Does it really work with all the capabilities of Microsoft Windows
Version 1.03 on an IBM PC or compatible?

5) Where does one find one of these devices, assuming it works, and how
much does it cost?

I need any help I can get!  Thanks,

       Herb Hamilton
       hamilton%nmsu@relay.cs.net

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 88 18:11 PDT
From: <MULTI%TRIUMFCL.BITNET@CORNELLC.CCS.CORNELL.EDU>
Subject: EXEC.ASM submitted

;MASM SHELL;
;LINK SHELL;
;EXE2BIN SHELL SHELL.COM;
;
; Modifications:
;
;       Who             When            What
;       ===             ====            ====
;       Y.N. Miles      15-Aug-88       Tried to figure out EXEC (SHELL)
;                                       from the IBM tech. ref. manual
;                                       Gave up in disgust, wrote my own
;
;       Y.N. Miles      16-Aug-88       Char count in COMAND does not
;                                       include itself or trailing <CR>
;                                       Specify path for COMMAND.COM
;                                       Correct docs for 64K space req.

[The submitted source has been archived and will be sent to SIMTEL20 as
soon as the air conditioning problem that has plagued it is repaired.
I'll put a note in the Digest when I know where it is stored... --gph]

------------------------------

************************
End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------

   Number: 2  Length: 1810 bytes
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 88 00:21 MDT
From: "Fred R. Glahe Dept of Economics U of Colorado" <GLAHE%VAXF.COLORADO.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: HELP REQUEST WITH SEAGATE DRIVES
To: Hicks@Walker-emh.ARPA

Gregory:
The following is from the July/Aug, 1988 issue of MicroCornucopia,
(P.O. Box 223, Bend, Oregon 97709 -- one yr. subscription =$18.00)
"Trouble Shooting PCs and XTs," by Dan Evans and Don Doerr, pp. 14-16.

FREQUENT DRIVE FAILURES
"I wouldn't like to admit how many Segate 225s, 238s, and 213s we sent
out for repair before we discovered how to fix a frequent failure.

SYMPTOM: Drive loses data and format (more noticeable with temperature
changes).

SOLUTION: The problem is caused by expansion of the chassis as the drive
warms up.  The circuit board mounted on the underside does not allow the
the case to expand normally as it heats up and the drive loses its alignment.
Three screws hold the circuit board to the drive housing.  Loosen the screw
nearest the front of the drive (leave finger tight - frg).

Then reformat the drive (low level, fdisk, and DOS format).  Be sure you have
an up-to-date backup of the drive before loosening anything."

Gregory:
        The problem I was having with my 225 was due to cooling down of my offic
office
   at night.  Loosening the front screw seems to have cured all my
prokblems.

        Send me your mailing address and I will send you copies of the two
articles.  Micro Cornucopia has a RBBS.  Its number is 503-382-7643.  It
is 24 hours at 300-1200-2400 baud.

Thanks for the good work you do with Info-IBMPC Digest.
<*>
<- 1

   Number: 1  Length: 3292 bytes
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 88 14:22 GMT
From: Ian Murphy <MURPHY_I%procyon.ie@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Turbo Pascal 4.0 problems
To: info-ibmpc@walker-emh.arpa

Has anybody noticed strange happenings when using Turbo Pascal 4.0? I'm porting
a package we have here for the VAX and over the last week or so I seem to have
managed to crash the compiler environment about 4 or 5 times per day, at
first I put this down to (and it probably was ) making use of the '@procname'
facility and some inline assembler to call procedures (as Borland did in their
example Procptr.pas), but the more I use it the more I notice things going
wrong with the environment, not just my program hanging when I run it, which i
don't mind since its my own fault.

For instance, one program looks like this...
Uses
   sms, sms_def;
Just a moment ago I ran turbo4.0 and loaded this in and typed alt-r, which
resulted in this following error...
   'ERROR 14: Invalid filename (TMS/TPU)'.

This error with loading files has occured when selecting from the Load/Pick
options as well. Here's a list of the load/pick/uses errors I've noticed

   File Wanted      File TP4.0 actually reports unable to load
   SMS.TPU            TMS/TPU
   FIELD.PAS          FIEMD.PAS
   EDIT.PAS           EDIU.PAS

Notice that wherever a character is wrong it's had one added to its value.
i.e S +1 =T
    . +1 =/
    L +1 =M etc
(Odd, huh!)

This mornings weirdest happened just after I ran TP, I edited a file, the text
appeared, as normal, with the cursor at the start of the program and then for
some reason the text 'Initialize conditional defines' (my programs do NOT
contain any text remotely like this) was inserted on the first line as if i had
typed it.
(curiouser and curiouser )

It crashes intermittantly while I'm editing sometimes, which is annoying as
I've lost the code I've been typing in, usually i end up with a screen full of
junk, or a part of the file has characters replaced with ones above #127.

At first I thought I'd corrupted TP on the hard disk, so I re-copied it from
the original (Brand new copy of TP4.0 1 week old)into a new directory , no
difference whatsoever. I assumed that I'd got a corrupted version of the
compiler, so I got a copy from a friend and tried out his for a while and got
the same sort of errors.

The machine is an Epson PCe and it passes all the system diagnostic checks, I
reformatted the hard disk and ran all the disk surface analysis tests etc,
re-installed the whole lot and still got the same results.

Has this sort of thing happened to anybody else, or have I just got a
haunted PC??

Ian Murphy
University College Cork/ Procyon Informatics Dublin.
IAN@VAX1.UCC.IE       : Internet (Here most of the year )
IAN@IRUCCVAX          : Bitnet
MURPHY_I@PROCYON.IE   : Internet (here at the moment)
<*>