Info-IBMPC@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (09/02/88)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Fri,  2 Sep 88       Volume 7 : Issue  41

This Week's Editor: Gregory Hicks -- Chinhae Korea <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>

Today's Topics:
                               Administrivia
                       MSDOS "C" Programs on Simtel
                           PC 3270 board problem
Today's queries:
                         IDS EGA/CGA/Herc/MDA Card
                        Memory boards for PC-XT/286
                        Two consoles under DOS 3.x
                          Format of Autocad files
                            COM3 and COM4 ports
                    Supressing Screen clear in GW-Basic
                         FAX coding scheme wanted
                            Serial input buffer
                       Time Measurements in Assembly
                               Card Scanners
                        PD Geneology Program Wanted
                                 JOYMOUSE
                        Multiple user card for ATs
                            PBRUSH file format?
                            Pcox in Zenith 286?
                         Removeable PC Hard-disks
                             Where is NDMAKE?

Info-IBMPC Lending Library is available from:

Bitnet via server at CCUC; and from SIMTEL20.ARPA (see file
    PD1:<msdos>files.idx for listing of source files)

SIMTEL20.ARPA can now be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
    via LISTSERV@RPICICGE.BITNET and in Europe from
    TRICKLE@TREARN (Turkey) and TRICKLE@DKTC11 (Denmark)

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <Info-IBMPC@Walker-EMH.arpa>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
    the distribution list, et al) to: <Info-IBMPC-Request@Walker-EMH.arpa>

Date: Thu, 29 Aug 88 19:52:00 MDT
From: Frank J. Wancho <WANCHO@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Administrivia

We deeply regret the unfortunate set of circumstances which caused
SIMTEL20 to be unavailable for such an extraordinary long downtime.  This
has never happened before in the over five year history of this system,
and we hope it will never happen again.

SIMTEL20 was taken down Thursday morning, 11 August, due to a failure of
the 800-1,000 lb., 75hp electric motor which drives the building air
conditioner compressor.  A request for the highest available priority
procurement action was hand-carried to the Engineering and Logistics
Directorate at WSMR Friday morning.

Sometime on Monday, 15 August, it was decided to have the motor repaired
instead of replaced because it was anticipated that a purchase order for a
new motor would take two weeks to process.  The motor was removed on
Tuesday morning, 16 August, and sent to a local company in El Paso for
repair.  They found the bearings had frozen and caused the armature to
short.  The bearings were replaced and the motor rewound, taking more time
than expected.

The repaired motor arrived back at WSMR at about noon on Tuesday, 23
August, but was not delivered to the lab until about 10am Thursday
morning, 25 August.  In the process of carrying the motor up a one-step
ramp into the building, the fork lift slipped off the ramp and the motor
fell onto the cement and cracked the cast iron end housing.  The motor was
taken back to post to be welded and was ready to be taken back out to the
lab Friday afternoon.  A top-level management decision was made to not
grant overtime and wait until Monday morning, 29 August to install the
motor.  The installation was completed at 1430 Monday afternoon.

Due to the entended downtime in un-air-conditioned facilities for 18 days,
encompassing three weekends where the closed building reached over 102
degrees, a three-hour cool-down was required to restabilize the computer
equipment at operating temperature.  That was followed by extensive
filesystem integrity checks of all five disk drives and resetting the
expiration time of all messages in the mail queue prior to bringing the
system up for production use.

Whenever SIMTEL20 is down for more than 24 hours, check the signon status
message on STL-HOST by simply typing @O 61 instead of @O 74.  No login is
necessary to see the signon status message at that host.

While the air conditioner was down, several pending, non-critical work
orders were completed, including the replacement of one of the cooling
tower water pumps, and the annual preventive maintenance of the air
conditioning system.

--Frank

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Jun 88 20:37:11 MDT
From: Al McIntosh <USADACS@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: MSDOS "C" Programs on Simtel

The following is an edited version of the Simtel archive PD1:<MSDOS.C>:

[Included was a fairly long text file - since transfered to SIMTEL20 for
inclusion in the archives - that described a large portion of the MSDOS
'C' Collection of programs.  --gph]

[The following are among the programs discussed:

GETARGS, DIRLIB.ARC, INPUT.ARC, MAEK.ARC, MV.ARC, SPLINE.ARC, UNDOC.CDS,
MAKE.ARC, MATH.ARC, SHAR.ARC, UNIXCLIB.ASM, CURPOS.ASM, C-SUBS.ARC,
ARGTEST.C, GDIR.C, HSORT.C, IBMCUR.C, ROOTPATH.C, SCALE.C, SINE.C,
SPEAKER.C, TAGS.C, TESTDIR.C, XRF.ARC, C4WINDOWS.ARC, C-TUTOR1.ARC,
C-TUTOR2.ARC, CCOMPILE.ARC, DEBUGC.ARC, DLC-TSR.ARC, MAKE-PD.ARC,
BOSS.ARC, CSR.ARC, GRAPH.ARC, TPC.ARC, TEACH-C.ARC --gph]

------------------------------

Date:         Tue Aug 30, 1988 08:31:03 CDT
From:         'Bryan Ferguson' <DPBF%SIUEMUS.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject:      PC 3270 board problem

I have resolved my problem with the PC 3270 emulation board and software
from IBM. Hopefully it will keep someone else from going nutso.

The IBM PC 3270 board and emulation software uses DFT. IRMA board setups
use CUT. So if you are running IRMA boards with no problem, as we were,
the IBM board still needs to have any 3274 controllers connected to it
customized to recognize DFT.

We had IRMA boards running fine but the IBM emulation package would not
recognize the controller or vice versa until we customized the 3274
configuration. Since at the moment IBM is the only vendor (?) producing
3270 emulation packages for PS/2's, it is something to keep in mind.

                                 Happy trails,
                                     Bryan

Bryan Ferguson
Academic Computing
Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville
<dpbf@siuemus>

------------------------------

Date:     Thu, 4 Aug 88 22:22 CDT
From:     <D0BHELP%TAMVENUS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> (Daryl L. Biberdorf)
Subject:  IDS EGA/CGA/Herc/MDA Card

Has anyone had any compatibility problems with the IDS (Intelligent Design
Systems, I think) EGA/CGA/Herc/MDA card?

I am currently running mine in Herc mode until I upgrade to EGA in about 6
months.  I have an IBM PC-XT/286 (sort of a bastard machine, but I like
it) with 640K, 20 meg hard drive, 1.2 meg floppy, 360K floppy, and a
Novation modem.

Specifically, I am unable to make HGCIBM and SIMCGA work with my card.
Both programs work successfully on my friends' machines.  It isn't
crucial, but I sometimes like to play graphic games on machine and can't
because the simulator won't work properly.  Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Daryl Biberdorf
D0BHELP@TAMVENUS

------------------------------

Date:     Thu, 4 Aug 88 22:25 CDT
From:     <D0BHELP%TAMVENUS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> (Daryl L. Biberdorf)
Subject:  Memory boards for PC-XT/286

I presently own an IBM PC-XT Model 286.  It's basically an AT in an XT
case that IBM sold somewhat unsuccessfully.  I like it fine.  My problem
is that I don't know what memory boards (XMA) will work in my machine.
IBM specifically exempts my machine from the computers their board will
work with.  Will the Intel Above Board 286 work?  What about others?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Daryl Biberdorf
D0BHELP@TAMVENUS

------------------------------

Date:         Mon, 06 Jun 88 13:15:52 PDT
From:         Don Tanner <SPGDLT@UCSCVM>
Subject:      Two consoles under DOS 3.x

I would like to be able to use two consoles on a PC-AT running Dos 3.2.  I
have two graphics cards a CGA and a VGA and 2 monitors.  The CGA (Everex)
it would seem uses the standard DOS console port addresses 3xx.  The VGA
(ATI - VIP) has a jumper selection which I set to 2xx.  I have so far been
unable to figure out how to use the second monitor (2xx).  I would like to
have the ability to:

a) switch the console back and forth
b) display the console on both screens simultainously
c) know how to tell applications which screen to use

Any help or hints as to where to look for documentation to accomplish
these things would be greatly appreciated.

I have thought of using the CTTY command to change consoles but could not
find how to attach the 2xx addresses to AUX - or do I need a device driver
to define the second screen??

Thanks for any help..
Don Tanner - SPGDLT@UCSCVM

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 88 22:37:31 CDT
From: David Lacey <dlacey@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu>
Subject: Format of Autocad files

  Does anyone know or know where to find the format of autocad data files.
I'd like to make a drawing in autocad and then have another program read
it and drive a machine to cut the part.  There was also mention of a DXF
format file which appears to be ascii... any info?

                     /----------------------------------------\
                     | David Lacey                            |
                     | Internet: dlacey@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu  |
                     | Bitnet: astzdlpa@uiamvs                |
                     \----------------------------------------/

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 88 10:52:17 edt
From: martinea@skl-crc.arpa (Mike Martineau)
Subject: COM3 and COM4 ports

Can any one tell me the interrupt level and I/O addresses for serial ports
COM3 and COM4.

Thanks,

Michael Martineau
Software Kinetics

martinea@skl-crc.arpa (192.5.204.1)

------------------------------

Date: 1 Sep 1988 12:36-CDT
From: SAC.96BMW-LGSPP@E.ISI.EDU
Subject: Supressing Screen clear in GW-Basic

Help!!!!!

  I do a lot of miscellaneous type programs in BASIC...(mostly because I
can't afford other languages), and compile with GW-BASIC compiler.

  The problem I have is this...If I write a program to use with MS-DOS, it
can't be anything useful because a compiled program with the MicroSoft
Compiler clears the screen before it executes...which does me no good
wwhatsoever.  I am not well versed enough in assembly to write my MS-DOS
goodies in ML....

  Can anyone tell me how to supress the clearing of the screen upon
execution.

           I would appreciate this help VERY much...
                           Thank You,
                                      A1C Gautier
                           SAC.96BMW-LGSPP@E.ISI.EDU

Help me, My roommate plays country music!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 88 21:39:41 PDT
From: TGTL003%CALSTATE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU  (KAM LAI)
Subject: FAX coding scheme wanted

      I am looking for any information regarding the coding scheme of FAX.
How to represent a picture or text by bit pattern in FAX coding format? If
anyone know it, please send me a message regarding on that.  I will be
appreciated.

KAM KEUNG LAI      (SAN JOSE STATE UNIVERSITY, CALIFORNIA)
BITNET: TGTL003@CCS.CSUSCC.CALSTATE.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 88 09:10:13 CDT
From: GE0730%SIUCVMB.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Chris Novy)
Subject: Serial input buffer

I am working with some programming applications written in QuickBASIC
version 3.0 and running under the Desqview multitasking evnironment.  One
of my programs watches an 1800 baud weather wire and captures selected
products for printing.  In BASIC I was able to specify a compile option
that let me set up a 10K input buffer on the serial port.  This allowed
the program to be off doing something somewhere else without loosing any
incoming information.  This program requires about a 130K window under
Desqview.  The program was originally developed under BASIC so that we
could make quick changes to the prototype program.  I now want to re-write
it in Turbo-C.  My questions are these:

   In QuickBASIC you can define an input communications buffer as a simple
compile option...is there a way to do this in Turbo-C.

   If not...does anyone have a device driver program that would let me
attach a 5-10K buffer on COM1 or know where I could get one.

I do not subscribe to the LISTSERV (yet) so please send any responses to
my node directly.

                                          Thanks
                                          Chris Novy - GE0730@SIUCVMB

Date:         Fri, 02 Sep 88 10:16:17 CET
From:         Willem Vermin <SONDWIM%HASARA11.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject:      Time Measurements in Assembly

     Does anybody has an (assembler) subroutine to read the time on an
IBM-PC or clone? I need such a subroutine to link it with a program to
measure performance.

Please, answer to SONDWIM AT HASARA11

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Sep 88 14:07:15 est
From: "Wolter, Michael" <WOLTER%DICKINSN.Bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: Card Scanners

We are interested in a card scanner that can be connected directly to a PC
(i.e. a scanner to read multiple choice answer forms marked with number 2
pencil).  Any information on available products, reliability and ease of
use would be very much appreciated.  Please reply directly to me.  Thank
you!

                                - Michael Wolter (WOLTER@DICKINSN.BITNET)
                                  Applications Analyst/Programmer
                                  Dickinson College
                                  Carlisle, PA 17013
                                  (717)245-1256

------------------------------

Date: 30 Aug 88 19:20:50 PDT (Tuesday)
From: Wax.OsbuSouth@Xerox.COM
Subject: PD Geneology Program Wanted

Many months ago, there was published some public domain / Freeware /
Shareware programs for doing geneology or family trees.  I cannot seem to
locate any of them by name in the SIMTEL20.ARPA repository.  By name I
mean a name that sounds like it should be a geneology program.  Nothing in
PD1:<msdos.database> looks promising (although there is a note there on
PAF-GENEOLOGY).

Could someone direct me to the location of one or more of them, or send
one?  I'm specifically looking for programs that I can download.  The
loca- tion of a BBS near the Los Angeles area would also be appreciated.

Allan Wax
Wax.OSBUSouth@Xerox.COM

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 88 09:43 EDT
From: EDMyers@DOCKMASTER.ARPA
Subject: JOYMOUSE

The windows 1.03 joystick driver supports the gameport card.  It does make
a joystick look like a mouse.  The stick moves the cursor around the
screen like the mouse which means you do not need a lot of desk space.  I
usually hold it in my hand.  The buttons on the Joystick serve the same
function as those on the mouse.  I assume any "Joy stick" will do as long
as it has a way to generate cursor movement and some button functions.  (I
use a Kraft Joystick) Prices are generally cheap, around $20 for the
adapter and $50 for the Joystick.

gene

------------------------------

Date: 1 Sep 88 11:01 -0400
From: Marco Zelada <marco@concour.concordia.cdn>
Subject: Multiple user card for ATs

     I have been, for some time, trying to find out if there is a
peripheral card that would allow me to connect at least one more user to
my IBM AT clone. I have not been able to get any info on this and if there
is no such thing, I am willing to develope it myself, but I need to know
first.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 88 15:17:17 pdt
From: George Cross <cross%cs1.wsu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: PBRUSH file format?

Does anyone have a description or a reference to the format of the
ZSOFT/Microsoft Paintbrush files?  This is the program that comes with
Microsoft mouse.  Thanks.

 ---- George

 George R. Cross
 Computer Science Department    cross%cs1.wsu.edu@relay.cs.net
 Washington State University    cross%wsuvm1.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
 Pullman, WA      99164-1210    Phone: 509-335-6319 or 509-335-6636

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 88 09:30:40 EST
From: Steve Cavrak <SJC%UVMVM.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Pcox in Zenith 286?

    Does anyone have experience with installing a Pcox or a 3270 Coax Cut
board in a Zenith 286-LP machine?  We're having some problems that seem to
stem from memory assignments:

    with the Pcox board, the screen goes blank and the system hangs;
    with the 3270 Cut board, we get a "shared memory address error".

If you've had similar problems and have been able to resolve them, or have
any suggestions, we'd appreciate hearing from you.

  _______
 ----

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 88 14:53 P
From: P88031%BARILAN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Removeable PC Hard-disks

hello

We are interested in removable hard disks for p.c.'s.  The names mentioned
are bernulli boxes and the the companies are: SYQUEST,COMSEC.

ANY information about such products, companies, reliability and prices
will be welcomed.

We are especially interested in benchmarks and experience acquired in
using such products.

Thanks for your assistance,

Brody Michael
microcomputer department
BAR ILAN UNIV.
P88031@BARILAN.BITNET

[Syquest makes very reliable Bernulli boxes.  We use them here at work in
most all of our micro's.  --gph]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 88 9:43:46 EDT
From: Clif Sothoron <cbsoth@BRL.MIL>
Subject: Where is NDMAKE?

   I recently downloaded the source for JOVE version 4.9 to the PC. The
readme.dos file indicates that the public domain utility NDMAKE is
required to make the makefile provided work. Where can I find this
utility? The author of this document said that Microsoft's make will not
work at all.

      Thanks in advance,

Clifton B. Sothoron Jr.
Ballistic Research Laboratory