Info-IBMPC@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (09/13/88)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Tue, 13 Sep 88       Volume 7 : Issue  43

This Week's Editor: Gregory Hicks -- Chinhae Korea <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>

Today's Topics:
                     Exec-PC BBS to change file formats
                           Multi-user BBS System
                            PK361.exe (4 msgs)
                         Seagate Drive(s) Problems
                   SIMTEL20 Files Functional Description
                      SIMTEL20 to change file formats
      Switching between serial and parallel ports using MODE (3 msgs)
                         PC-Portable Power Supply

Today's Queries:
                            Xebex AMNESIA Card
                     8087 for a PC-Portable Available?
                   Replaceable harddisks for Victor AT's
                          EGA information WANTED
                      LANs and ViaNet (or other nets)
                  Low-level format for Compaq Portable II
                              PS/2 Game port
                       Self Study Course Development
                           SCSI Driver Software?
             Re-mapping Keys and How to speed up POST (2 msgs)
                  Text file to TELEX tape converter query

New Programs:
                 ARFF, general purpose arc/zoo file finder
                             New MSDOS uploads
                       New MSDOS uploads to SIMTEL20
               Unix (c-shell)-like MSDOS command line editor

Info-IBMPC Lending Library is available from:

Bitnet via server at CCUC; and from SIMTEL20.ARPA (see file
    PD1:<msdos>files.idx for listing of source files)

SIMTEL20.ARPA can now be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
    via LISTSERV@RPICICGE.BITNET and in Europe from
    TRICKLE@TREARN (Turkey) and TRICKLE@DKTC11 (Denmark)

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <Info-IBMPC@Walker-EMH.arpa>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
    the distribution list, et al) to: <Info-IBMPC-Request@Walker-EMH.arpa>

Date: Wed, 7 Sep 1988  15:05 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Exec-PC BBS to change file formats

[Exec-PC BBS is one of the largest MS/PCDOS-oriented systems in the
country.]

A STATEMENT FROM THE EXEC-PC BBS CONCERNING THE RECENT SEA VS PKWARE SUIT

This entire statement was authored by and is the opinion of Bob Mahoney.

When SEA came out with the ARC format, I banned it from the Exec-PC BBS
because the arcing and unarcing programs from SEA were too darn slow.  As
soon as PKware released the super fast PKXARC and PKARC programs, I
approved the ARC format for the Exec-PC BBS because processing the arc
file format on the typical computer of the time (4.77 mhz PC) was no
longer a test of user endurance and patience.  The speed of the PKware
products made the arc format a valid format.

Exec-PC has decided the following:  As soon as PKware brings out a new
format for creating crunched/squeezed/squashed/packed/tramped collections
of files, that new format will be used for ALL files on the Exec-PC BBS.
At last count Exec-PC had more than 16,000 files online in the arc format.

Bob Mahoney  Exec-PC multi-user BBS  414-964-5160     8/29/88

------------------------------

Date: Fri Sep  2 17:00:15 1988
From chief!root
Subject: Multi-user BBS

   There is another Multi-User BBS that is available.  It's called XBBS
(Xenix BBS). I use it at the company I work for and find it to be very
easy to make changes to the source and it is easy to add and delete items
to the system.

It will run under almost ANY Xenix or UNIX out now. The source is included
and the best part is that it is FREE!  It will handle as many users as you
have lines for and it is a very complete package. You can pick up the
software on any XBBS site.

I'm running Ver. 7.00 with special modifications I have made for the users
at my site. The author's BBS line is (714) 898-8634.  The source is about
380000 bytes compress and about 760000 uncompressed.  If you would like
more information on the software please feel free to send me a message or
call into my system CompuInvest (818) 884-7821.

   Also all the source code is written in C so if XBBS won't run on your
system as is, you should be able to modify it quickly for your system.

   It is a great package and very flexable in it's setup. The only thing
you must have is Xenix or UNIX to run it (Sorry all you DOS people,
although you MIGHT be able to compile it under DOS [I'm not too sure as I
don't use DOS])

Lance Ellinghouse
Chief Numismatics, Inc.
Systems Programmer

Arpa: ucla-an!hermix!chief!lance@ee.UCLA.EDU
UUCP: {hermix|srhqla|alphacm}!chief!lance
CompuInvest: (818) 884-7821  1200baud 24 hours a day
AT&T: (818) 884-9141

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  9 Sep 88 12:37:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Duchowski <jd3a+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: PK361.exe

Hello there,

I have recently downloaded PK361.EXE.  However, I don't think that I know
how to "unpack it".  I used ftp in binary mode to get it to Andrew (UNIX),
then I arc'ed it there and used Kermit to get it home where I unarc'ed it.
Throughout all this I received no errors, so I'm assuming that everything
went fine.

When I tried running it at home (IBM AT, 640K) I was told that the program
was to big to fit into the memory.  I do have some resident programs, but
nothing major.  I think even after including DOS (3.3), I still must have
over 550 K left.  Is this program really that big (?!).

However, I've also run into a reference in one of the digests, which said
that PK316.EXE "unpacks" into PKPAK and PKUNPAK.  How is that "unpacking"
done ?  I've tried using pkxarc (3.61) on the .exe file (although I never
heard of that being done before) but without success (a rather obvious
outcome, but I was running out of other ideas by then).

Would anyone help me out with this ?  I'd like to know what I'm doing
wrong.

Thanks in advance for any hints and/or comments.

John Duchowski
jd3a+@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 88 19:07:59 MDT
From: Greg Hicks <GHICKS@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

After you get the PK361 at your PC, just execute the program.

It 'unpacks' into about 5 files.  You don't need to use an un-ARC facility
to unpack it.  It will do it all by itself.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

[Problem has been isolated.  See next two messages. gph]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 88 00:14:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Duchowski <jd3a+@andrew.cmu.edu>

And thanks for your prompt reply to my query.  Just to make sure, I ftp'ed
(type binary) the file again over to Andrew (UNIX).  From there I used
Kermit (type binary, 1000 packets) to get it home.  I didn't receive any
errors at any time, so I'm assuming that everything went well.

At home (IBM AT, 640 K, DOS 3.3) I tried running it as was.  I was told
that the program was too big to fit into the memory.  I even rebooted with
just standard DOS at which time I had 600K+ avaliable and the program
still would not run.  How much memory does it need ?  Or is there still
something else that I'm doing wrong ?

Any suggestions?  If my memory is really too small, would it be possible
to place the separate files on SIMTEL20 such that I could import them one
by one?  Or, how about arc'ing the five files which then could be
extracted and run separately?

Thanks for your help earlier and hopefully you own't mind going over the
same matter once again.

Regards,

John Duchowski
jd3a+@andrew.cmu.edu
EL20.ARMY.MIL [26.0.0.74]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 88 01:31:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Duchowski <jd3a+@andrew.cmu.edu>

Well, it appears that I have finally solved the problem.  The reason for
all this strange stuff going on was the type of file transfer protocol
which I used.  First time I used ftp (type binary) and *NOTHING* worked,
i.e., I even copied PMCAT36.ARC which pkarc could not even unarc.

Second time around I used ftp (type tenex) and everything went in a
textbook type manner.  I guess I should have mentioned earlier that I
usually use sun3 on Andrew and hence that may have been the root of the
problem.

Perhaps it's worth while to make this little piece of generally available
- it would have saved me a lot of time.

Regards,

John Duchowski
jd3a+@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: 7 Sep 1988 08:14-PDT
From: SAC.96BMW-LGSPP@E.ISI.EDU
Subject: Seagate Drive(s) Problems

In a recent Info-IBMPC Digest, I noticed people were complaining about
problems with the Seagate 225s, 238s, and 213s...

We recently purchased a second drive, and got a Seagate 20Mb .

Although 4 screws are included with the package..The instructions on the
installation package specifically states:

   Do not use the right forward screw!

I noticed that taking this screw out resulted in correcting your problems.

Just because he gave you 4 screws, doesn't mean you should use them all,
and you should ALWAYS read the instructions that come with any hardware
you are not COMPLETELY familiar with.

                      Richard A. Gautier, A1C, USAF

         96BMW-LGSPP@E.ISI.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 1988  13:30 EDT
From: "Paul G. Weiss" <PGW@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: SIMTEL20 Files Functional Description

Does there exist a functional description of the files on SIMTEL20?  I am
aware of PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX, but all that provides is the name of the
files.  I am looking for something that will tell me what each file does.

[Perhaps you should try grabbing the file PD1:<msdos.filedocs>SIMIBM.ARC...
--gph]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Sep 1988  16:16 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: SIMTEL20 to change file formats

SIMTEL20 today announced that it will soon be changing the file formats for
its archives.

We have contacted Phil Katz and asked to make arrangements for anything he
develops in whatever new format in C source so that it can ported to our
TOPS-20 operating system.  Then, as time permits, it is our intent to
convert *everything* on SIMTEL20 from ARC to that new format, including
the PC/BLUE files.

SIMTEL20 will be going with Phil Katz's new file archiving method because
it will be a standard set by a group effort of various well-known
shareware and PD authors.  The file format will be clearly defined and a
public release will be made of portable C-language sources suitable for
porting to any operating system with a C compiler.  The file format and
the portable source code will be placed in the PUBLIC DOMAIN, with no
restrictions on how it may be distributed.

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the CP/M and MSDOS archives at SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.0.0.74]
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL
Uucp: {att,decwrl,harvard,ucbvax,uunet,uw-beaver}!simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Sep 88 12:25:59 IST
From: Ron Zweig <H27%TAUNIVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Switching between serial and parallel ports using MODE

Can anyone suggest a solution to this very mundane problem? I have both
serial and parallel printers connected to my system. Although it is easy
to switch LPT1 from the parallel port to the serial port, I have not been
able to discover how to switch it back - from the serial to the parallel
port. None of the literature addresses this problem.  Any ideas?

Ron Zweig
H27@TAUNIVM

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Sep 88 02:02 GMT
From: Gregory Hicks <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>

Try the following batch file called SEL.BAT.  I use it all the time to
switch between my serial DIABLO printer and the parallel EPSON printer.
It should do the trick.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

[Some notes:  File is called SEL.BAT because there is a transient DOS com-
mand called SELECT.  The file UNFORM.FRM is a one byte file used because I
needed an indicator of which printer is selected.  This small file is
copied to file <c:\sele> by my AUTOEXEC.BAT file to indicate that the
EPSON printer is selected.  If anyone can figure out an easier way (one
that wastes less disk space) to do it, I'll be glad to make the change.
--gph]

echo off
if %1a==a goto help
if %1==d goto diablo
if %1==D goto diablo
if %1==e goto epson
if %1==E goto epson
if %1==diablo goto diablo
if %1== DIABLO goto diablo
if %1== epson goto epson
if %1==EPSON goto epson
:help
echo Usage is:
echo    SEL E or SEL EPSON (Selects Epson)
echo    SEL D or SEL DIABLO (Selects Diablo)
echo There is no difference between upper and lower case
goto end
:diablo
if exist c:\seld goto seldiab
mode com1:24,o,7,1,p >nul:
mode lpt1=com1 >nul:
if exist c:\sele del c:\sele
copy c:\ws2000\formats\unform.frm c:\seld >nul:
echo Diablo printer selected
goto end
:epson
if exist c:\sele goto seleps
mode lpt1: 80,6 >nul:
if exist c:\seld del c:\seld
copy c:\ws2000\formats\unform.frm c:\sele >nul:
echo Epson printer selected
goto end
:seleps
echo EPSON already selected
goto end
:seldiab
echo DIABLO already selected
:end

--------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Sep 88 16:02:18 IST
From: Ron Zweig <H27%TAUNIVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>

Gregory:

Many thanks for your solution to the port switching problem.  It works
like a charm. I had tried LPT1 80,6 before but for whatever reason it
didn't respond.  Your batch file does the job neatly, and now I can do
*remarkable* things from within my wordprocessor.

Thanks again,
Ron Zweig

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Sep 88 11:45:36 EDT
From: Paul.Birkel@K.GP.CS.CMU.EDU
Subject: PC-Portable Power Supply

     I've been dealing with an IBM PC-Portable with a bad power supply.
Since IBM/local shop wanted $240 for a replacement, and I was unable to
locate an alternate source of supply, I disassembled the bad one and took
a peek.  Unfortunately, the problem appeared to be after the main filter
capacitors; i.e. impossible to debug without a schematic. No one I
contacted admitted to having a schematic (actually, it's a Zenith power
supply).

     After examining the output specs I decided to replace it with a 200
watt "AT" supply and remount the new components in the old box in order to
meet the necessary form factor. With success.

     The only deviation I took was that the original supply designated one
output as +12Vd (used for the display) as different than the +12V used by
the drives. A quick check revealed an additional "regulator" board with a
half-dozen+ connections. Sigh. Actual performance with the upgraded supply
turns out to be satisfactory, although transients from the drive motors
and steppers do show up as some noise on the display.

     I'd like to get a copy of the schematic for the original supply in
order to see about pulling the necessary circuitry to get the original
extra regulation on the display power line. Can anyone help me out here?

[I sent him a message asking if he had an IBM Reference Manual because the
manual I have is dog-earred from the digging in it I've had to do.]

Thanks. No, I don't have the manual. Neither does our local "service
center". Their only comment is that the product was discontinued 2 years
ago, and is now unsupported. All of the documentation they had amounted to
only the installation manual, which I already had!!

     Paul A. Birkel
     Dept. of Computer Science
     Carnegie-Mellon University
     Pittsburgh, PA  15213

     pab@CS.CMU.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 88 11:29:00 EDT
From: Paul.Birkel@K.GP.CS.CMU.EDU
Subject: Xebex AMNESIA Card

I have a Xebex AMNESIA PC/XT expanded memory board which I purchased 2
years ago and installed on a Zenith Z-148. I was never able to get the
%@$#! vdisk in expanded memory to work properly, and after awhile I gave
up -- assuming that the problem was related to way that Zenith handled
memory address decoding above 640k (I had schematics).

Now I have moved the card to a true Blue PC-Portable and have encountered
the exact same problems. Basically, any file larger than 16k is either
garbaged, destroys the FAT, or freezes the machine to the point that a
power cycle is required. This is LIM 3.2, and as I recall one "swaps" in
16k chunks ... sounds to me like the software. It's using a page frame
located at CC00:0000 and I/O addresses 258/259.

So ... Xebec tells me that they no longer support the product, did have
several software upgrades, but don't know if they have any left!

The release of the driver is 1.24, and I've tried using both MS-DOS 3.1
and PC-DOS 3.0. With MS-DOS I at least get the file "copied" into the
VDisk and can run dir on it and attempt to execute the file. With PC-DOS
the results of dir are mostly garbage characters, and trying to execute
the file results in "file not found". Sometimes the lock-up occurs during
the copy with the source drive still active (enabled).

With MS-DOS 3.1 (which sorta works) the VDISK is ver. 3.02. My
configuration is with three banks of 256k of which 384k are used to
backfill, and 384k are assigned to VDISK. Sector size is 128 and directory
entries are 64.

The other behavior I observe, which may be related, occurs during the
reasonably, but then it either zips through or skips page 1 and the first
part of page 2, the remainder of page 2 starting at about 28 or maybe 2A
then runs at the "normal" speed. This behavior seems inconsistent with
what I would presume would be the "obvious" mapping: first the 1 1/2 banks
of backfill and then the 1 1/2 banks of extended memory. I therefore
assume that for reasons of their own they apply a different mapping that
is advantageous for some other reasons. I haven't tried determing whether
it's the slow or fast testing pages that correspond to extended memory. I
may be adding another bank of memory soon which should make the sizes of
the 2 memory portions asymetrical.  My guess is that they're testing only
the pages used for extended memory since the POST has already tested the
rest. So this may be a "feature" rather than a defect.

If anyone has such a board with a later release (>1.24) or a working
release of the Xebec driver or some ideas about how to proceed, I would
*greatly* appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks for your attention,

paul

Paul A. Birkel
Dept. of Computer Science
Carnegie-Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA  15213

(412) 268-8893

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Sep 88 14:05:43 EDT
From: Paul.Birkel@K.GP.CS.CMU.EDU
Subject: 8087 for a PC-Portable Available?

    I'd like to add an 8087 coprocessor to my PC-Portable in order to
simulate systems of differential equations. Unfortunately, I see that even
"vanilla" 5 Mhz 8087 chips still cost around $100. I'd guess that this is
due to the smaller market wrt the 8088. Is it also the case that the 8087
isn't being sourced from other manufacturers? Is there a pin-compatible
replacement (similar to the V20/30 vs. 8088)?

    Anyway, the bottom line is, does anyone have any leads on a less
expensive source for an 8087/compatible chip? All responses appreciated.

     Thank you,

     paul

     Paul A. Birkel
     Dept. of Computer Science
     Carnegie-Mellon University
     Pittsbuegh, PA  15213

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Sep 88 17:35:12 DNT
From: "Niels Kr. Jensen" <C838216@NEUVM1>
Subject: Replaceable harddisks for Victor AT's

Hi. I've got an AT clone (Victor III286) witch besides the C-drive, has a
box for an extra, replaceable  D-drive (also a harddisk). How do I tell
the DOS to know about the D-drive when I install it? I have to use SETUP
now, but it takes quite a while. Thanks in advance for any help.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Sep 88 18:27 N
From: Patrick Van Renterghem / Transputer Lab <PVR@BGERUG51.BITNET>
Subject: EGA information WANTED

Is there anyone out there who knows where I can get more information about
the EGA standard ? If anyone has PASCAL or C programs for the EGA board,
let me know.

Patrick (pvr@bgerug51.bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: 7 Sep 1988 10:08-PDT
From: SAC.96BMW-LGSPP@E.ISI.EDU
Subject: LANs and ViaNet (or other nets)

Is anyone out there currently running an IBM AT compatible (We are using
the Zenith 248s) with a CD-ROM reader, and using any type of network
file-sharer under DOS 3.2x?

We have a need to access a CD-ROM drive from 5 different work-stations
without buying a reader for each device...

   I need this information as soon as possible, please....

             Thank You,
                SAC.96BMW-LGSPP@E.ISI.EDU

PLEASE respond in a hurry...

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Sep 1988  15:32 EDT
From: "Paul G. Weiss" <PGW@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Low-level format for Compaq Portable II

Does anybody have a program to do this?  I think it is on the Advanced
Diagnostic Disk which I don't have.  Alternatively, does anyone know how I
can write a program to do this?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Sep 88 11:48:59 EDT
From: keyles@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Michael Keyles)
Subject: PS/2 Game port

Hi,

I just got a PS/2 Model 50Z, and I want to be able to use a joystick.
Does anyone know of a board that provides a game port for the
MicroChannel?

Thanks,

Michael Keyles                   UUCP: rutgers!elbereth.rutgers.edu!keyles
Rutgers University               BITNET: 1005106@rutvm1
P.O Box 879                      INTERNET: keyles@elbereth.rutgers.edu
Piscataway, NJ 08855-0879        FIDONET: 1:107/320
(201) 932-3237

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  7 Sep 88 10:35 +0200
From: Dvorah <DVORAH%HUJIAGRI.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Self Study Course Development

Can anyone recommend software for developing self-study courses ?

The software should allow instructors to develop courses in ANY subject,
allow the student to choose increasing levels of difficulty or detail,
allow hints at each exercise and keep track of students'performance. Mail
between student and teacher would also be a desirable feature.

                Dvorah@hujiagri.bitnet

[Funny you should mention this.  See message from Keith Petersen in the
new programs section.  Lawarence Press <press@a.isi.edu> has done some
work in this area.  His programs do not do exactly what you've specified
though.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Sep 88 13:29 EST
From: <JWS%PSUARLC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: SCSI Driver Software?

I'm looking for a SCSI adapter device driver or other interface software.

Here's the details.  We have an Adaptec AHA-1540 AT-to-SCSI Host Adapter.
Using this adapter, we are interfacing to a Honeywell VLDS (a digital VCR)
and an Optimem OL/D 440 laser disk.  We need to control these devices as
well as send and receive data.

Software which just implements the generic SCSI commands is sufficient.
Any software leads, commercial or otherwise, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jack W. Sharer, JWS@PSUARLC.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 88 11:41:33 EDT
From: Paul.Birkel@K.GP.CS.CMU.EDU
Subject: Re-mapping Keys

How do I remap the keyboard? Will NANSI.SYS do this? Basically I just want
to put things like the CTRL, ALT, and ESC where I expect them (say, like
an "official standard" IBM keyboard -- the one with the function keys
across the top and the ESC in the upper left and the CTRL in the lower
left -- used on the RT-PC).  Alternatively, as I am using EPSILON, can I
remap keys there (and if so, how)? Or must I rebind every command using
each of the keys that annoy me? Any suggestions of interest.

I realize that this has undoubtably been discussed here before (like
several years ago). A little help for a late comer (well, actually I use
an APC-RT so I'm really True-Blue at work as well) will be greatly
appreciated.

It's the "I'm writing my dissertation and I want it done *yesterday*"
blues,

pab@cs.cmu.edu

Paul A. Birkel
Dept. of Computer Science
Carnegie-Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA  15213

(412) 268-8893

[Unfortunately, when the Lending Library was transferred from C.ISI.EDU to
SIMTEL20, the .EEL directory had been emptied and the files were not
recoverable.  Can't help in that area.

Would the people that are currently using Epsilon please forward any neat
routines for use with this package?  Enough people out there are using the
program, and I have to keep telling them 'I can not help because we don't
have any routines.'

Assistance would be appreciated.

gph]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 88 23:30:46 GMT
From: Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>

You can re-map character sequences to keys with NANSI.SYS.  I don't believe
it will change the codes that are sent from the keyboard (or appear to
change them...)  You need a TSR that looks at each keystroke for this.
I've seen several that expand what BIOS does on a PC (XT/AT) for the ex-
panded keyboard (ie 101 keys) but I don't recall seeing one that moves the
keys around...  Take a look in file PD1:<msdos.filedocs>SIMIBM.ARC.  It
should have a one line description of each file in the archives there...

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 88 11:41:33 EDT
From: Paul.Birkel@K.GP.CS.CMU.EDU
Subject: How to speed up POST

Is there some mechanism to speed up the POST, or at least the RAM test? On
my PC-Portable it runs at about 2 seconds per 16Kb, i.e. 80 seconds for a
full 640k. Ugh.

I realize that these issues have undoubtably been discussed here before
(like several years ago). A little help for a late comer (well, actually I
use an APC-RT so I'm really True-Blue at work as well) will be greatly
appreciated. Direct mail may be better than cluttering the Digests with
solutions that everyone (but me) already knows.

It's the "I'm writing my dissertation and I want it done *yesterday*"
blues,

pab@cs.cmu.edu

Paul A. Birkel
Dept. of Computer Science
Carnegie-Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA  15213

(412) 268-8893

[Regarding speeding up post, the only to speed it up is to change the ROM
BIOS.  Regrets..  Let's see what the net says. --gph]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Sep 88 09:55:26 SET
From: ADM87M15%NOBIVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Text file to TELEX tape converter query

A friend of mine is wondering about the following:

Does there exist a "box" connected to the PC's COM-port that produces
telex-tape from a text-file?  (It's no use to put a telex-card in the PC
as the message sent has to be de-coded in a separate unit first, and this
unit will only accept a tape|)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Sep 1988  17:06 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: ARFF, general purpose arc/zoo file finder

[
This program, obtained from Usenet, is now in <msdos.arc-lbr>arff.arc
--Keith
]

From: maa@nbires.NBI.COM (Mark Armbrust)
Date: 28 Aug 88 03:00:15 GMT

I've seen several messages on the net saying "zoo is nice, I wish there
was a 'zoofind' program."   Well here it is, making its debut after a
couple of evenings hacking after work.

ARFF not only looks in .ZOO's and .ARC's, it can look in most any archive
you for which there is a program that will list it to stdout.

It does so by executing the listing program (arcv, looz, tar, whatever) as
a child and captures and examines its output.  Any matching files found
are listed in a more-or-less standard format.

Mark Armbrust
8/20/88

[
This is version 1.0 of arff.  Highly configurable, it reads an external
configuration file to find out how to manipulate each different kind of
archive.  It will search recursively through any specified directory tree.

The program is quite fast and worked well for me, though there may be a
minor bug because I once hit control C and managed to send it into an
infinite loop.

Source suitable for Microsoft C 5.1 is included.

-- R.D.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Sep 1988  18:33 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: New MSDOS uploads

>From: "Leslie C. Brown" (USATHAMA|SYS|Chris) <lbrown at BRL.MIL>

  I've uploaded the following programs :

<msdos.dskutl>  SLOBACK.ARC   a fastback backup clone
<msdos.dirutl>  ANYWHERE.ARC  find files on any disk
<msdos.games>   FREECELL.ARC  another variation on the solitaire card game
<msdos.pctech>  BESTOF.ARC    best of PC-TECH Journal programs

Thanks, Les!

--Keith

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Sep 1988  00:14 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: New MSDOS uploads to SIMTEL20

Thanks to Larry Press <lipress@a.isi.edu> for submitting the following to
the SIMTEL20 archives, and to Greg Hicks for coordinating the transfer.

All are files/programs designed to be used in a classroom and introduce
the student to Lotus 1-2-3, DOS, Wordstar.  Included are an 'expert
system' benchmark program generator as well as a LAN benchmark...

Files are:
pd1:<msdos.lotus123>123TRAIN.ARC  - Lotus 1-2-3 training files
pd1:<msdos.editor>WS-TRAIN.ARC    - Wordstar Training files w/sample .DOC
                                      files
pd1:<msdos.sysutl>DOSTRAIN.ARC    - DOS training files
pd1:<msdos.education>EXPBENCH.ARC - Expert system (Knowledge base)
                                      benchmark programs
pd1:<msdos.lan>LANBENCH.ARC       - Benchmark programs for LANs

All files have a README.DOC file.  Most also have a NOTES.DOC file
explaining the various files in the archive.  With the exception of these
two files however, the rest of the files (.AST, .HDT) are in Wordstar
format.  However, a STRIP program is included to convert these files to
pure ASCII...

Date: Thu, 8 Sep 1988  17:06 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Unix (c-shell)-like MSDOS command line editor

Now available via standard anonymous FTP from SIMTEL20...

Filename             Type   Bytes      CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.KEYBOARD>
UNCLE.ARC.1               BINARY       7875  57C4H

>From: jackm%jpl-devvax.Jpl.Nasa.Gov at elroy.jpl.nasa.gov (Jack Morrison)

[Here's something new for everyone, submitted by me, the author.  The ARC
file contains executable and documentation.  -- jcm ]

========UNCLE - UN*x(c-shell)-like Command Line Editor for MS-DOS========

Version 1.0 8/88
by Jack C. Morrison
jackm@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov

UNCLE is a TSR program in the tradition of CED and DOSEDIT, replacing the
MS-DOS buffered input function (0Ah) with enhanced editing and history
capability. The primary differences in UNCLE are

     a) UN*X C-shell style history substitutions
     b) Personal preference configuration options

No donation required.

For DOS 2.0 and up.

Starting a new COMMAND.COM shell with this installed may not work on your
machine.

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------
-------