Date: Mon, 19 Sep 88 14:41:53 CDT
From: david@wubios.WUstl.EDU (David J. Camp)
Subject: aix information

Ole Frejlev,
     Sorry, I do not know of an AIX BBS, but here is information regarding
an AIX mailing list.  You may get more help there.
-David-

*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
| (314) 362-3635                     Mr. David J. Camp                    |
| Room 1108D                ^        Box 8067, Biostatistics              |
| 706 South Euclid        < * >      Washington University Medical School |
|                           v        660 South Euclid                     |
| Bitnet: david@wubios.wustl         Saint Louis, MO 63110                |
| Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu     uucp: wucs1!wubios!david     |
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*

AIX-L%BUACCA.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU

   This list is intended for the discussion of the AIX operating system,
IBM's Unix solution for small and large computer systems.  Initially, this
list will be used for dissemination of information and technical details of
AIX on all levels.  It may be necessary to break this list down into
machine types that AIX will run on.

users send mail to LISTSERV%BUACCA.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU with the command
in the message body):
      SUBSCRIBE AIX-L Your_Full_Name
where Your_Full_Name is your real name, not your userid.
   To unsubscribe, send:
      UNSUBSCRIBE AIX-L

   Moderator: Michael R. Gettes <CCMRG%BOSTONU.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
                                 CCMRG@BUACCA.BU.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 88 14:52:09 CDT
From: david@wubios.WUstl.EDU (David J. Camp)
Subject: Fansi-Console Program screen-saver and VT100 sequences

Mick Westrick,

     The Fansi-Console program has a screen-saver feature.  It has many
good features, and works as a replacement for ANSI.SYS .  I especially like
the scroll-back feature.

Jack E. McCoy,

     One of the manuals that can be purchased with Fansi-Console contains
most or all of the VT100 escape sequences.  You might also try a real VT100
manual if you can find one.

Fansi-Console is distributed by:

Hersey Micro Consulting
(313) 994-3259

-David-

*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 88 14:45:16 CDT
From: david@wubios.WUstl.EDU (David J. Camp)
Subject: HD Diskettes on DD Drive

Raymond Curci,

     You are lucky that your PC gave you an error right away.  We once sent
a large dataset on HD diskettes written on a DD drive.  The recipient was
never able to read them, even though we got now errors when writing them.
Now we are always careful to use the right diskettes for the drive.
-David-

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 88 15:03:34 CDT
From: david@wubios.WUstl.EDU (David J. Camp)
Subject: TSR in EMS

Fred McKay,

     The DESQVIEW software allows you to place a TSR in EMS, in a way. When
you run DV, it allows you to run multiple Dos shells in a time-sharing
fashion.  They can be run in EEMS or normal memory, whichever has the most
available.  TSR's loaded in a shell under DV are removed when that shell is
closed, and do not affect other shells.  Since the tasks are timeshared, it
causes Kermit to loose characters at 4800 baud and higher.  I am not sure
about lower baud rates.

     It takes up substantial memory itself, so each shell cannot use the
maximum workspace.  I heard a rumor that this would be rectified in the
next version.  I had a problem (discussed on Info-IBMPC) with Dos 4.0 XCOPY
under DESQVIEW.  As a result, I have stopped using DV.  I consulted with
someone from Microsoft who had contacted me, so they are looking into the
problem.

I think I was using DV version 2.1
-David-

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 88 23:57 N
From: <GASPARD%HROEUR5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: BTREIVE Manager

Hallo out there,

I have a program that uses the BTRIEVE Record-Manager from SoftCraft, Inc.
That Btrieve program looks likes something I always wanted. I'm considering
buying it, but i do want some information from users.

1)     Is it realy so powerfull as it seems to?
2)     What's the price of that product.
3)     How about license on the run-time-driver.
4)     How about updates.

If anyone has one or more answers, please post them to me directly.

Thanks.

Bert Rozenberg

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 20 Sep 88 00:22:17 +0100 (Central European Time)
From:     XBR1YD3O%DDATHD21.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject:  Driver for HALO SCANNER

I have just bought a handheld scanner called "HALO SCANNER".  With the
driver software delivered with it, it is not possible to save the whole
scanned picture to disk. I can only save the part of the image that fits on
the screen window, thats about 600 x 300 dots (the scanner's width is about
850 dots).

Does anyone have better software for this scanner? I would even try to
write my own driver, but there is no information available, how to access
the scanner (port adresses etc.).

I would also like to have the adress of the manufacturer, to ask them for
updated software and technical information, but the scanner is Taiwan-made.
There is no adress on the cover or in the manual.

The only thing I know about the manufacturer is that they produce the
popular "Witty Mouse", too.

They say, this "HALO SCANNER" is the only one on the market that uses DMA,
so there is quite no chance that drivers for other handheld scanners work
with it.

Juergen Baumgartl              xbr1yd3o@ddathd21.bitnet

------------------------------

Date:     Thu, 15 Sep 88 15:35 N
From:     <PEZZINO%IPACRES.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject:  Searching for OPS83

Hi Netlanders,
        I am looking for an OPS83 compiler for an IBM PC-AT.

   I would be interested in a PD version, if it exist, or in buying an of-
ficial version. Is there anyone who knows where I can find them?

                Many thanks in advance
                                        Giovax

 Giovanni Pezzino - System programmer
 Centro Ricerche Elettron. in Sicilia
 Via Regione Siciliana, 49
 Monreale  (Palermo)
 BITNET : <PEZZINO@IPACRES>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 88 09:52:44 +0200
From: Jan Engelen <FHEDA02%BLEKUL11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: WORD's RTF Conversion Program

    In your answer to a question on WORD's glossary file format you men-
tioned the availability of a Word to RTF conversion program.  I'm highly
interested by this program, that is described in the Word 4 Reference
manual, but not included on the disks.  As our Benelux Microsoft support
center warned me, this program even would not be ready for distribution.
If you have any recent news on this or if you can confirm the availabity at
Redmond, please drop me a note.

JAN ENGELEN   -------- KATH. UNIV. LEUVEN ------------  BELGIUM
(32) 16 22 09 31  (1123)                FHEDA02 AT BLEKUL11.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 19 Sep 88 17:13:56 CDT
From: HQ AFCC/AIZ2
Subject: Zenith Displays

I am looking for a display driver that will allow me to disdplay greater
than 80 char by 25 lines for programs such as lotus 1-2-3.  I am presently
using a Zenith Z-248 computer with Zenith's EGA driver card & EGA monitor.
We also have a machine with the new Zenith flat screen analog monitor
driven by the Z-449 card.  Any assistance would be appreciated.
Mark Meaders

End of Info-IBM Digest
-------