          Telix 3.10 communications program uploaded to SIMTEL20

Date:  Sun, 30 Oct 88, 15:45 GMT
From:  Gregory P. Hicks <COMFLEACT@Taegu-emh1.army.mil
Subj:  Administrivia

The following have been dropped from the Info-IBMPC Distribution List
as "host appears to be down or permanently not accepting mail" or
because "User name not known".  I understand the user name not known,
but host down/not accepting mail???

Down anyone know where these people have moved to?

> cantrell@arecibo.aero.org,-
> info-ibmpc-request@lbl-csam.arpa,- (POC: craig at lbl-csam.arpa)
> ibmpc@trantor.harris-atd.com,- (POC: trish at trantor.harris-atd.com!)
> "info-ibmpc%acorn%live-oak.lcs.mit.edu"@mc.lcs.mit.edu,-
> "manny%tcgould.tn.cornell.edu"@mc.lcs.mit.edu,-
> "marx%mit-oz"@mc.lcs.mit.edu,-
> "twood%xls-plexus02"@amc-hq.arpa,-
> bburkhol@amc-hq.arpa,-
> cramer@wp-eds.arpa,-
> hess%unicorn@mit.mit.edu
> kamel@nps.arpa,-
> lssapc@amc-hq.arpa,-
> mdburdes@pad1.apgea.army.mil,-
> sctc-afcc@afcc-oa2.arpa,-

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

PS - It might be my mailer.  For some unexplained reason, this thing
     reports hosts as DOWN (after trying for some length of time) even
     though I can go to the host with Telnet.  This is happening to the
     BITNET side even now.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Oct 88 21:45 PDT
From: <MULTI%TRIUMFCL.BITNET@CORNELLC.CCS.CORNELL.EDU>
Subj:   Please ask for 10 sector/track (400K) MS/DOS floppy disks..

The regular (non-AT) floppy disk controller is capable of reliably reading
and writing 10 sector/track floppy disks.  The gap lengths for FORMAT could
be 40h, and for read/write could remain 2Bh,  with reliable i/o according
to QUAID's utility EXPLORER.  For some reason Microsoft (and IBM) have
shown reluctance to go to a 10 sector/track format, and modifying the disk
parameter table format GAP from 50h to 40h still results in floppy disks
with a formatted gap of 50h.  A format gap of 50h is too big for 10
sectors/track...

ps:  I would LOVE to get 10 sectors (800K) on my quad density (80 trk)
     disks.  Due to the excessive format GAP of 50h, it is impossible to
     fit more than 9 sectors (720K) on quad disks.  For some reason,
     Microsoft (and IBM) have shown reluctance to grow up to a 10 sector
     per track format from a 9 sector per track format, even though the
     Bios Parameter Block (BPB) will automatically take care of the larger
     capacity in a manner compatible for the MS-DOS (PC-DOS) user.  Please
     get that FORMAT gap size from that stone-age 50h to a more modern gap
     format GAP size of 40h (as recommended by QUAID), and which will allow
     10 sectors per track without sector splicing...

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Oct 88 11:34:29 EDT
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@braggvax.arpa>
Subject: AT Clone problem

Netlandians,

A buddy has a problem with his AT clone (CCS Labs Mother Superior 80286
6/8 MHz):

1.  He can't boot from his floppy A: drive any more (goes through memory
testing, checks drives A,B, beeps, then reports a "RAM Parity error, check-
ing for segment address", then a "0", cursor disappears, A: drive light
stays on, system lockup!

2.  When he boots from his hard drive (C:), boots fine, runs fine, except:

  a.  If he tries to read his A: drive (e.g., DIR A:), same parity error
msgs, locks up.

  b.  He can copy from A: to C:, but not from A: to his ram disk (D:).

He tried a utility called ATPARITY.COM, which I think intercepts memory
parity errors.  Fine, he can now read his A: drive, can copy from A: to
the ram disk D:, but can't copy from A: to C: or from C: to D:!

He's swapped out the A: drive, its controller card; removed his extended
memory board, even swapped out mother board memory chips, all to no avail.

He's tried IBM's Advanced Diagnostics, gets a "system board error" of some
sort, and an address of something like ("0000:(s)").  (I didn't get
details on that testing.)

Any ideas?  (Before we swap the mother board, that is!)

Thanks in advance,
David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@braggvax.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 88 17:33 N
From: <WITMANS%HLSDNL5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: EDT for PCs

We are looking for an EDT package for the IBM PC AT or true compatible.
Does anybody know of a public domain, shareware or commercial product ?

        Regards,
                Piet Witmans
                Dr. Neher Laboratories, Netherlands PTT.

Dr. Neher Laboratories,         BITNET/EARN:    Witmans@HLSDNL5
PO Box 421,                     Telephone:      +31 70 435508
2260 AK Leidschendam,
Netherlands.                    PSS(Datanet1):  +0204 1170358

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Oct 88 15:37 N
From: <EAROSAM%EBRUPC51.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: PC GKS Implementation Wanted

        I am looking for an implementation of GKS for the IBM/PC running
DOS. Could you please help me?
        PLease answer me directly:

                Rosa Martin
                bitnet: earosam@ebrupc51.bitnet
                ean   : rosam@fib.upc.es

                voice: 34-3-3338308 (ext. 314)
                fax:   34-3-2406302

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Oct 1988  22:14 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: ARCTOOL and ARCTOOL4

Les Brown writes:

    I think there are a couple more duplicate files in the arc-lbr and
    they are arctool.arc and arctool4.arc.  I uploaded arctool.arc which
    is version 4 of the program and I think someone else sent another copy
    renamed.  If that is the case then there is another file for the bit
    bucket.

I thought so too, until I looked at the DOC files.  ARCTOOL is a program
for extracting files from damaged archives.  ARCTOOL4 is a menu-driven in-
terface for archiving and dearchiving.  Too bad there isn't some central
clearinghouse for file names!   :-)

--Keith

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Oct 1988  20:10 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: GSARC - non-compatible more efficient archiver

Just uploaded to SIMTEL20...

Filename                        Type     Bytes   CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.ARC-LBR>
GSARC10.EXE.1                   BINARY   71680  85D2H
GSARC10.INF.1                   ASCII     4338  CBCBH

This is an interesting development.  A new program that makes and
extracts ARC files using a more efficient variation on LZW compression,
called "Crushing".  I have included the .INF file below.  Beware - the
ARCs it produces cannot be read by ARC, ARCE or PKUNPAK unless GSARC's
compatibility switch is used.  The program does work, and it does
produce *signficantly* smaller ARC files.

The information below is presented "as-is".  I have no connection with
NoGate Consulting and this posting should not be interpreted as an
endorsement of yet another incompatible ARC-maker.  However, it does
pose an interesting question:  are we to resist this just because it's
incompatible - even though it is a significant step forward in
compression efficiency?  It will be interesting to see what SEA's
reaction will be.

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the CP/M and MSDOS archives at SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.0.0.74]
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

-------
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 1988  16:57 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: GSARC10 replaced by PAK10

Now available via standard anonymous FTP from SIMTEL20:

Filename                        Type     Bytes   CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.ARC-LBR>
PAK10.EXE.1                     BINARY   71578  C46EH

PAK10.EXE is an updated (slightly) version of GSARC that now uses the
filetype PAK instead of ARC as an attempt to stay out of SEA's way.
It is basically the same program.  This is a self-extracting archive.
Run it to extract the files from within.

Thanks to Maurice Thaler for the upload.

Date: Wed, 12 Oct 1988  12:18 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: New MSDOS uploads

<msdos.sysutl>
SEARCH11.ARC
     - Tweaked SEARCH.COM (DOS PATH replacement) Includes original (v1.0)
     SEARCH.COM, the tweaked and improved (??) SEARCH11.COM, and
     "documentation" extracted from the program's help screens.

     I snarfed the original SEARCH.COM years ago from some BBS; it's worked
     fine on every system I've tried.  Tweaked v1.1 works fine on my system
     (PCDOS v3.1).  Source unavailable (copyrighted by Arborsoft Systems,
     Inc.)

     (I've waited years for their promised update, but no sign of it .. and
     just couldn't STAND the original's clumsy code any longer!)

pd1:<msdos.dirutl>
PURGTRE1.ARC    Prompted file delete thru subdirectories (w/.ASM src)
                Updated tree purge utility.  Archive includes original
                and updated source and .COM files, short documentation.
                Works very nicely!  Kudos to original author.

                David Kirschbaum
                Toad Hall
                kirsch@braggvax.ARPA
---
Thanks, Dave!
--Keith

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Oct 1988  20:17 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

> Date: Monday, 10 October 1988  08:41-MDT
> From: Ralf.Brown at B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU

pd1:<msdos.c>CC01.ARC
pd1:<msdos.c>CC02.ARC
pd1:<msdos.c>CC03.ARC
pd1:<msdos.c>CC04.ARC
pd1:<msdos.lan>EASY-NET.ARC
pd1:<msdos.database>LIST-MGR.ARC
pd1:<msdos.txtutl>MSPANTOC.ARC
pd1:<msdos.arc-lbr>MVA101.ARC
pd1:<msdos.sysutl>WEAKLINK.ARC

CC01 through CC04 are collections of "C" subroutines and programs
EASY-NET is a two-computer serial-port network that claims to be NETBIOS
        compatible
LIST-MGR contains a bibliography manager and a mailing list manager
MSPANTOC is a print formatter with sections/subsections/figure numbering,
     etc
MVA101 lets you split .ARC files across multiple floppies (doesn't work
     with ZOO, though, probably because of ZOO's random seeks) WEAKLINK is
     another serial-port file xfer program

Thanks, Ralf!

pd1:<msdos.turbopas>SPOC88.ARC
pd1:<msdos.sysutl>SYSID32.ARC

SPOC88 is the code from the September/October _Turbo_Technix_ magazine
SYSID32 is an update to SYSID30 which is already in the archives

pd1:<msdos.pascal>MYSTIC.ARC     The MYSTIC Pascal compiler

pd1:<msdos.pascal>QPARSER.ARC    A full-featured (but limited-capacity)
                            demo version of the commercial parser generator

Thanks, Ralf!
--Keith

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 1988  01:51 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Telix 3.10 communications program uploaded to SIMTEL20

Now available via standard anonymous FTP from SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.telix>TLX310-1.ARC  Executable and support files.

pd1:<msdos.telix>TLX310-2.ARC  Telix documentation, Host Mode script source
                               files, and dialing directory conversion
     program.

pd1:<msdos.telix>TLX310-3.ARC  SALT script language documentation.

Telix is a shareware communications program for PCs running the PC/MS-DOS
operating system.  Features include:

  - an extensive range of built-in file transfer protocols, including
    Zmodem, Compuserve Quick B, Xmodem, Xmodem-1k, Xmodem-1k-g,
    Ymodem (TRUE), Ymodem-g, Kermit, SEAlink, Telink, Modem7, and
    ASCII.  Up to four 'external' protocols may be defined and called
    from within Telix.

  - multiple dialing directories, holding up to 1000 entries each.
    An entry contains many pieces of information required for
    communicating with remote services, such as the phone number and
    communications parameters.

  - automatic queue redialing for hard-to-reach numbers.

  - DEC VT102 and VT52 terminal emulation. Keys may be redefined by the
     user.

  - extensive SALT script language which allows Telix to perform automated
    logons and many more complicated functions.  As an example of the power
    of script files, the Telix Host Mode is written in the SALT script
    language.

  - full access to DOS including a DOS shell, a DOS Command option, and
     full
    path support.

  - A Host Mode with file transfers, operator paging, a Remote DOS shell,
    and two access levels.

  - A Chat Mode, keyboard macros, a scroll-back buffer, session capture,
    usage log, translate table, and a variety of other features, detailed
    in the manual.

Telix is fast and has a powerful, friendly, user interface.  It will run
on an IBM PC, XT, AT, PS/2, or true compatible with at least 170k of free
memory.  For a few functions, such as the DOS Shell, more memory is needed.
Telix will support up to 8 defined comm ports (COM1 through COM4 are
predefined), any number of disk drives, and a printer connected to the
parallel port.

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the CP/M and MSDOS archives at SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.0.0.74]
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

End of Info-IBM Digest
-------