Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (11/10/88)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Fri, 10 Nov 88       Volume  7 : Issue  13

This Week's Editor:
     Gregory Hicks -- Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                       c++ on PC - Zortech compiler
         Downloading ARC files using network 3270-plus and kermit
              GSARC - non-compatible more efficient archiver
                     Internal Tape drives for Back-ups
                         AT hard disk info needed
                        Heathkit Store Info request
                         High speed Modem for AT's
                           Reported CONCOPY bug
               Review of Data Display for overhead projector
                  Simtel20 Archive Standard descriptions
                      The quest for peer-to-peer LANs

Today's Queries:
             Turbo C 2.0 Assembly, obj format, library format.
                       BITNET - Uucp mail transfers
                        DOS to Xenix file transfer
                      Extended Memory Spooler Request
                       Stock market analysis package
                   Comparing the 8512 and 8513 displays
     Finding dos "STORAGE CHAIN ANCHOR" in version-independent way...
                       Looking for a drawing library
                      Looking for semiconductor disk
                       Typewriter/printers (2 msgs)
                             Using 1 Meg query
                          VCR usage for HD backup
            120 megabytes on standard 5.25 inch IBM-AT floppy?
                      Windows and NEC LC-890 Question

New Programs/Topics:
               Keeping up with whats new in MSDOS collection
                        New MSDOS uploads (2 msgs)
           Z80MU 5.0 demo (CP/M and Z80 Emulator for the IBM PC)

Info-IBMPC Lending Library is available from:

Bitnet via server at CCUC; and from SIMTEL20.ARPA (see file
    PD1:<msdos>files.idx for listing of source files)

SIMTEL20.ARPA can now be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
    via LISTSERV@RPICICGE.BITNET and in Europe from
    TRICKLE@TREARN (Turkey) and TRICKLE@DKTC11 (Denmark)

Send replies or notes for publication to:
    <Info-IBMPC@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
    the distribution list, et al) to:
       <Info-IBMPC-Request@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 88 09:00:16 PDT
From: swillett@plutonium.cchem.Berkeley.EDU (Steve Willett)
Subject: c++ on PC - Zortech compiler

An excellent implementation of c++ for MS-DOS machines is Zortech's
c++ compiler.  This is not a preprocessor, but is a native code
compiler, and is priced at $99 (I think its 150 with the source
code for the libraries).

   Zortech, Inc.
   366 Massachusetts Ave.
   Arlington, MA 02174
   (617) 646-6703

I have no connection ... just a satisfied ...

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 28 Oct 88 08:46:06 MET
From:    jans andries <WBEVENN@HDETUD1>
Subject: Downloading ARC files using network 3270-plus and kermit

I have problems unpacking downloaded arc files.

I'm working on an AT clone which is connected to our laboratory ibm-rt
system which uses AIX.  The RT is connected to our University IBM mainframe
(vm/cms) through network 3270-plus.

I download arc files from simtel-20 to our mainframe using the listserv
redirector trickle at hearn:  tell trickle at hearn /pdget filename

This file is transferred to the IBM-rt system using network 3270-plus:
receive rtfilename fn ft fm
The rt file is then transferred to my AT using kermit 2.30:
$ kermit -x  [This flag should be -i]
Ctrl C
get rtfilename
The file is renamed to filename.arc and then unarced using pkunpak
obtained from pk361.exe.
I get the following warnings:
unarcing: filename
uncrunching: filename2
pkxarc: warning! file filename2 fails CRC check
this warning is repeated for the other files in the arc file.
When I read the unpacked files the first few lines are readable, but the
rest is garbage.
I think the problem lies in the kermit server of the RT but i'm not sure
of this. Who can solve this problem?
jans andries
mail adress: wbevenn at hdetud1

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 88 16:59:52 EST
From: Don Malpass <malpass@ll-vlsi.arpa>
Subject: GSARC - non-compatible more efficient archiver

>From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@simtel20.army.mil>
>
>Don, are you suggesting that files on SIMTEL20 be censored?
>The significant thing, in my opinion, is that a major breakthrough has
>been made in compression efficiency.  Must everyone be forever locked
>into less efficient algorithms just because the older programs can't
>read the new format?
>--Keith

     Since you and I have tended to be on the same side of most
issues until the arc warfare, I shouldn't give you a seemingly smartass
answer.  But if electing to "Ban all SEA software and/or arc files from
Simtel and BB's" isn't censorship, I don't know what else to call it.

     My argument, as I've frequently stated, is not against
"progress" but against INCOMPATIBILITY, also known as CONFUSION.  Being
able to try out an endless supply of new software is great, but if
every new program were named command.com we'd shortly tire of the
puzzle as to what each one did.  This is no less true of data files,
and the world is NOT a better place for having a proliferation of
incompatible files that end in ".arc".  As evidence I offer the fact
that collectively the computer community has blown away tens of
[wo]man-years writing and reading flames and messages like this one.
You're as tired of it as I am.  It is not a legal or even an emotional
issue; it is a practical one.

     I applaud the efforts to specify and generate the next
generation of archiving/compressing/smart-backup software.  I only wish
it were being done with harmony instead of acrimony.  But at least by
now we should all have learned what NOT to call it or the files it
generates.

     Cheers,
          don

Don Malpass   [malpass@LL-vlsi.arpa],  [malpass@spenser.ll.mit.edu]
  My opinions are seldom shared by MIT Lincoln Lab, my actual
    employer RCA (known recently as GE), or my wife.

------------------------------

Date: 27 Oct 88 10:52:03 PDT (Thursday)
From: "George_C._Burkitt.ElSegundo"@Xerox.COM
Subject: Internal Tape drives for Back-ups

>From: Herb Lin <LIN@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
>Same for internal tape drives for PCs -- prefer one that will run off
>a floppy controller and fit into a 1/2 height bay.

I have used a 3M MCD-40 FITD (Floppy Interface Tape Drive) tape cartridge
drive with satisfaction.   It is available from ADIC, 10201 Willows Rd, Ste
300,  Redmond, Wash 98052,  (208)881-8004   (or was, some folks do move).
They sell through various local reps, whom I don't know.

ADIC calls their external system the Model 400  (they provide the case,
power supply and software).  Their software orients the drive as a system
backup device.   I don't know much about the internal version,  but I think
they do sell one. The 3M drive with DC-2000 cartridges guarantees
interchange between drives...you can read a cartridge from one FITD on any
other.   That is its main claim to fame.   It probably costs a bit,  but
mine has been trouble free.   The ADIC software uses a data correction
scheme to compensate for the difficutlies in reading tapes.   The storage
capacity is 40 MB, although my computer uses only 32..

If worst comes to worst,  you can use the tape as any other floppy;  you
could even run your computer from its copy of the DOS.

------------------------------

Date: 27 Oct 88 11:03:09 PDT (Thursday)
From: "George_C._Burkitt.ElSegundo"@Xerox.COM
Subject: AT hard disk info needed

><SIDBURY%SCRANTON.BITNET@CORNELLC.CCS.CORNELL.EDU>

The AT started off using the same interface as the earlier PC's....the
ST506/ST412.   Later drives are coming out with AT bus versions,  but you
probably have a standard interface type.  Any format program in which you
can specify the number of heads and number of tracks should work OK.   You
may need to experiment to get those numbers right,  but you won't damage
the drive if you guess wrong,  you'll either have a smaller active drive or
the format will bomb.

I've never heard of a Chase Technology drive and I've been watching the
field since before AT's came out.  Wonder where I went wrong.   Maybe they
were a reseller.   I'm interested as to why the change in software caused
them to quit working.

Suitable format programs include Spinrite from Gibson Research,
9714)830-2200,   and Disk Manager by Ontrack,  6200 Bury Dr, Eden Prairie,
Mn,  55346.

------------------------------

Date: 27 Oct 88 11:15:50 PDT (Thursday)
From: "George_C._Burkitt.ElSegundo"@Xerox.COM
Subject: Heathkit Store Info request

>yossi gil <yogi%humus.huji.ac.il@RELAY.CS.NET>

Nothing about Heath,  but we have assembled several Clone -XT's from ads in
Computer shopper.   Based on that experience  (and my lack of a universal
computer repair center)   I recommend you check your local computer store
for their motherboard.   Some of the larger stores sell bare boards, and
there is a standard size,  etc.   We are changing over , as the orphan
boards crap out,  to boards which can be maintained by people who answer
their phones.

If you plan on opening your PC-XT case occasionally  (we do it regularly
here,  in an equipment lab) i can recommend the flip top case as a reql
knuckle saver.   It's not as rigid or rugged as the slip cover, but you can
make your own choice.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 88 11:43 EDT
From: HRL%PSUARCH.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: High speed Modem for AT's

Please forward information to Amy S.K. Lau, Image Processing Group,
Univ College London, e-mail addr.: SKLAU@UK.AC.UCL.CS...

Amy:  You might consider an Avatex 1200 modem for use with an IBM-AT.
There available from a place in Utah at a low cost (of about $75?).
HRL@PSUARCH.

Hope this helps.  I could not reach you directly by your address.  :-)

------------------------------

Date: 28 October 1988, 21:56:06 IDT
From: Julian Satran <SATRAN%ISRAEARN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> +972-4-296-264
Subject: Ref: Version Control Software for PC

An excelent adaptation (somewhat extended) of the Unix-SCCS for PCDOS is
offered by POLYTRON under the name PVCS (Polytron Version Control System).
It is available through the usual channels.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 88 15:16:27 EDT
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@braggvax.arpa>
Subject: Reported CONCOPY bug

|  Date: Tue, 25 Oct 1988  19:24 MDT
|  From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
|
|  Dave, this came from Usenet.  Thought you would find it of interest.
|
|  >From: farris@marlin.NOSC.MIL (Russell H. Farris)
|  Subject: CONCOPY HANGS MY NCR-PC6 & DELETES COMMAND.COM
|
|  After decoding and de-arcing CONCOPY, I typed "concopy test
|  <return>." My NCR-PC6 crashed immediately, and would not reboot
|  from the hard drive.  When I rebooted from a floppy, I found that
|  the COMMAND.COM file on the hard disk contained 0k.  I haven't
|  found any evidence of a virus or other persisting problem, but I
|  was wondering if anyone else had had a similar experience with
|  this potentially useful program.
|
|  Russ farris            farris@marlin.nosc.mil

Toad Hall replies:
I disassembled my copy of CONCOPY.EXE (snarfed from SIMTEL20's
CONCOPY.ARC).  I see NO evidence of a virus.

Here's what CONCOPY does:

First, it parses the command line for a target output filename.
If it finds one, it tries to open (for append) or create that file.
If that goes well:

  It steals Interrupt 21H, and then executes COMMAND.COM (or whatever your
system's "COMSPEC=" parameter is).

  On Int 21H calls, it checks for Services 2 (display output), 6 (direct
keyboard/display I/O character), 9 (display message), 40H (write to
file/dev).  On Svcs 6 and 40H, it further checks to see if output is to
Std Out (console).  If the service request DOES involve console output,
CONCOPY writes the output (char, string, or bytes in a DS:DX buffer) to the
target filename.

CONCOPY also has some checks for output file write errors, etc.

All in all, I see no way CONCOPY could have blasted your COMMAND.COM.  It
doesn't do direct disk writes; it doesn't touch the FAT; etc.  It DOES use
a couple of undocumented DOS Int 21H services (50H, Set PSP Segment, and
62H, Get PSP Segment), but they're innocuous enough.

I'd upload the disassembly, but (1) it isn't complete and functional;
(2) it's not fully commented; and (3) I'm tired.  Maybe later.

Regards,
David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@braggvax.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Wed 26 Oct 88 14:14:35-PDT
From: Ted Shapin <BEC.SHAPIN@ECLA.USC.EDU>
Subject: Review of Data Display for overhead projector

I had an opportunity to see what was reputed to be a large screen,
EGA resolution, "color" display that is used on top of an overhead
transparency projector. It is an LCD display panel that connects
to a 9-pin EGA monitor adapter card.

It does do EGA resolution, 640 x 350. However, the aspect
ratio is greater than a standard EGA screen so, for example,
circles come out squashed.  The "colors" are mapped to various
shades of purple.

Model: CA400 Data Display. Mfr.: Computer Accessories Corporation,
San Diego, CA.

Ted Shapin.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 1988  21:20 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Simtel20 Archive Standard descriptions

>From: Russ Nelson <nelson at sun.soe.clarkson.edu>
>
>What do you think of attempting to establish a standard description
>for packages?  I think that each package should come with a file
>called DESCR.TXT that contains at most ten lines of text describing
>the contents of the package.  I think that if we ask for submissions
>from Usenet, we can cover most of the popular packages...  -russ

Russ, I think that's an excellent idea.  I'd like to take it a step
further.  It should also include a suggested one-line description that
would fit into the available space on a typical RBBS file directory
display.  I forget how many characters that is, somewhere around 46
(no more).  This would help me a lot because I could include those in
the SIMIBM database using my awk script.

Comments from others on this list are welcome.

--Keith

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 1988 22:02 CDT
From: John Ladwig <JLADWIG%UMINN1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: The quest for peer-to-peer LANs

>  Unfortunately we are looking for a network that will work without a
>dedicated file server.  If anyone knows of a file sharing network that
>does NOT require a dedicated machine and is industry-proven,
>please help us out here at sac.96bmw-lgspp@e.isi.edu.

     Have you looked into PC-LAN (IBM's LAN shell)?  I realize that there
are any number of reasons *NOT* to get hooked into IBM as a vendor, but
they are one of the few high-speed (4 Mbps rated), peer-to-peer networking
systems available today.  If high speed is not so critical, then how about
TOPS?

     By the way, I'm as interested in this question as anyone, maybe
moreso.  The lab here is running a doubly-mixed environment, operating sys-
tems (DOS-OS/2) *and* busses (AT-MCA).  Token ring is running fine for us
on the DOS platforms (both busses), but the OS/2 stations are problematic
at this point, and IBM has been less than helpful about product releases
and upgrades.

Yours Connectively,

 -.JML.-                JLADWIG@UMINN1.BITNET
John Ladwig             JLADWIG@UMINN1.UMN.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 88 22:27:22 EDT
From: tj@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Thomas E. Jones)
Subject: Turbo C 2.0 Assembly, obj format, library format.

I've heard plenty of discussion on uunet about the following, but I'm not
sure those people really know, or just like to talk.

I was very upset to learn that with my TC 2.0, assembly isn't really a fea-
ture, as the box stated, but an option.   Wish I would have known this, as
I would have gotten the Professional Version (more $$$.)

Now I have the compiler, and thought maybe MASM would work with it instead
of the TASM assembler Borland sells.  Although there is a switch in the
compiler where you can change the name of the assembler, I get errors when
I try to use MASM.

Now for the clincher...  I tried to link with library files (on simtel20,
the litecomm toolbox) that worked with previous versions of TC, but it
doesn't seem to work at all with 2.0.  I keep getting strange bombs when
trying to link.  I assumed that the library format was changed in the cur-
rent version.

I also tried to include object files from other simtel20 programs, and the
Turbo C has the same problem.

Querry:  Did Borland completely change file formats?  Are old 1.5 libraries
of NO USE TO US 2.0 users?  Must we buy TASM (lots of money if bought
separately) in order to get inline assembly, or linking with assembly code
routines?

Please respond directly to me if possible.  Try either of the following
addresses.  Thanks in advance.

               Thomas E. Jones
               MIT Lincoln Laboratory
               tj@ll-xn.arpa   (old address, works for some of you)
               tj@xn.ll.mit.edu (new address, works for others of you)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 29 Oct 88 18:54:13 EDT
From: Juan Jose Noyles <V2033A%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: BITNET - Uucp mail transfers

I don't know if this is the proper place for this question, but can some-
one help iron out a channel between Uucp & Bitnet?  I'm in the process of
getting my own Uucp address, and I'd like to get this situation straight
before I leave BITNET altogether.

Also, is anyone using Turbo Pascal 5.0 yet?  How about that debugger, eh?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 88 09:43:40 EDT
From: bull@nrl-css.arpa (a bull)
Subject: DOS to Xenix file transfer

We currently have our hard disk partitioned into a Xenix partition and
a DOS partition.  If we boot the system from the Xenix partition we
can transfer files from the DOS partition to the Xenix partition using
Xenix programs.  I was wondering if there exist DOS programs that would
allows us to boot the system from the DOS partition and transfer files
from the DOS partition to the Xenix partition.

  Thanks
  Alan R. Bull
  Naval Research Lab.
  4555 Overlook Ave
  Washington, DC 20375-5000
  (202) 767-6698

  bull@nrl-css.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 88 14:32:19 CDT
From: moore@ncsc.ARPA (Moore)
Subject: Extended Memory Spooler Request

Does anyone know of a public domain print spooler that works with extended
(NOT expanded) memory?  Please respond directly to me (moore@NCSC.arpa) if
yes.

Thanks.

jim

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 29 Oct 88 17:38:42 CST
From: B a l a <MKBALAJI@UMSVM>
Subject: Stock market analysis package

Hi folks,

I am looking for a public domain software to do stock market analysis
If you know of any third party packages please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

/Bala/. Tel : 601-232-3350. Bitnet : MKBALAJI @ UMSVM.

PS : to run on a ibm-pc compatible with 2 x 360 kb drives.

------------------------------

Date: 31 October 1988, 09:47:22 MET
From: Rob van Hoboken <RCOPROB%HDETUD1.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: Comparing the 8512 and 8513 displays

I have had an IBM PS/2 display 8513 on my desk for two weeks now, I am
starting to wonder whether I should have bought the 8512 instead.  The 8513
is a 12" display which must be viewed from fairly close up (in my case this
is tiring).  The 8512 on the other hand is 2" wider, and therefore has
larger characters, hence can be viewed from a greater distance for a mini-
mal viewing angle.

Can anyone tell me if there are technical deficiencies to the 8512 or other
negative experiences, which could stop me from trading in my 8513 for a
cheaper but possibly more relaxing 8512?  How do the anti reflex methods of
the two compare, do you get flicker with the 8512, is the screen update
frequency of the 8512 lower than the 8513's???

Advice is appreciated, could you please copy any answers to my userid,
since I am not on the list?

Thank you!
Rob van Hoboken, Delft University of Technology
rcoprob@hdetud1.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: 29 Oct 88 12:32 -0800
From: Ya`akov Miles <multi%dac.triumf.cdn@relay.ubc.ca>
Subject: Finding dos "STORAGE CHAIN ANCHOR" in version-independent way...

DOS storage is based around structures called "STORAGE BLOCKS"
Each "STORAGE BLOCK" immediately precedes either a program PSP
or an unused space by one segment.  IE, if DS is the "STORAGE BLOCK"
then word ds:1 --> PSP of the next program, or ds:1 == 0 if unused
The address of the next storage block is ds=ds:3+1, or in assembly

     mov   ax,ds           ; Get storage block
     add   ax,ds:3         ; Get size of program or unused
     inc   ax         ;  ...include storage block
     mov   ds,ax           ; ds --> next storage block

Note that you can "unhook" terminate and stay resident programs by
poking the word 0 into the storage block offset ds:1

Now for my question.  It is easy to proceed from one storage block to
the next highest storage block, listing programs and free memory.
The first storage block is pointed to by a structure called a
"STORAGE CHAIN ANCHOR".  Can anybody tell me how to find this pointer
to the first "STORAGE BLOCK" in a MS-DOS independent way?  Both MAP.COM
and MAPMEM.COM seem to be able to accomplish this...

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 88 16:30:29 EDT
From: stev@vax.ftp.com
Subject: Looking for a drawing library

I am looking for software that I can have draw some pretty pictures for me.
I suspect that the work has been done somewhere, but I don't know where to
get it.  What I have is a lot of data, in a tree structure.  What I want to
do is have some software that will print out the tree:

On my screen;

Dynamically (I dont want to have to tell it what it should look like.)
     It should place them on the screen as best it can based on the
     links (pointers) in the data.

Add new points to the diagram, adjusting points if necessary (I know
     that this is asking a lot. I will settle for just adding, with
     adjusting the others)

is there anything like this out there?

stev knowles
ftp software
617-868-4878

[Stev:  Next time you log into either the TAC, or your system, please login
in lower case instead of UPPER.]

------------------------------

Date: 28 October 1988, 17:56:20 IDT
From: Julian Satran <SATRAN%ISRAEARN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> +972-4-296-264
Subject: Looking for semiconductor disk

Hi,

Is somebody aware of a commercially available "semiconductor disk" for
PS/2. I'm looking to something configurable (sector size), large
(only over 32MB could be considered) and fast (capable of sustaining
a data rate >= 6MW/s). Would appreciate hints in private. If anything
of interest shows up I will post a digest.

Thanx, Julo.

------------------------------

Date: 31 Oct 88   13:20 LCL
From: James H. Foggin (615) 974-5311 PA44908%UTKVM1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Typewriter/printers

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has purchased a
combined typewriter/printer such as Epson's Elite 350 or comparable
machine.

Specifically, I'd like to know how well the machine(s) works, about
any problems, etc.

I need a letter quality printer from time to time, and a good typewriter
as well.  I have an NLQ printer for drafts, etc, and this is for home use,
so I'm not concerned with having a high volume printer.

Jim Foggin
Marketing, Logistics and Transportation Department
College of Business Administration
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
BITNET address is PA44908 AT UTKVM1

------------------------------

Date:  10 Nov 88, 18:23:30 KST
From:  Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.Army.Mil>

Before I bought my PC Clone, I used a Z-80 with CP/M with an Anderson-
Jacobson 731 terminal.  This unit basically was an IBM Selectric typewriter
with a Serial interface attached.  I used it for some three years until I
obtained a Diablo 630 printer.  Until the time I got rid of it - in 1980 -
the Anderson-Jacobson performed quite well.

If I were to try and obtain a combined keyboard with a letter quality
printer, I'd go for the Diablo 1630.  This is the same print mechanism as
the 630, but with a keyboard attached.  I've used my 630 onboard ship as
well as ashore from 1980 to present and have no maintenance problems what-
so-ever...  Print wheels and ribbons are VERY easy to obtain for this
printer.  These same items for the Diablo 620 are not so easy to get...

Standard disclaimer:  I'm just a satisified user.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 88 14:28:16 EDT
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@braggvax.arpa>
Subject: Using 1 Meg query

NetLandians,

A user recently asked me, "Is there anything you can do with memory above
640K?  That is to say, if you have 1M on the motherboard, but not the LIM
stuff."  (I assume he's talking about an AT.)

I've looked all OVER the place and can find NOTHING that uses those chunks
of memory lying around above 640K (e.g., the portions of video memory not
actually being used by some video card; the 64Kb segments reserved for PC
Jr cartridges; etc.).

Anyone have any ideas?  Or are poor AT buyers bamboozled into buying a full
Meg of motherboard RAM (rather than the "default" 512Kb), just to get 640Kb
of usable RAM?  Is there ANYTHING out there (public domain) that uses those
free (but noncontinuous) RAM above 640Kb?  Is there anything that would
prohibit a specially-tailored little utility (a RAM disk, hard disk cache,
something) to locate itself up around 0A0000 or so, to be called from an
interrupt or something?

Thanks in advance,
David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@braggvax.ARPA

[In addition to this request, is there a program that can run on start-up
that takes the software from ROM and copies it into RAM?  So that things
such as the BIOS can run faster?  Anyone know of such a program?  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 29 Oct 88 15:03 CDT
From: David Stever <STEVER%sp.unisys.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: VCR usage for HD backup

I'm looking for a painless & easy way to back up by HD, and the boards
which allow the use of my VCR to do the deed look pretty good.  Is there
anyone Out There that has experience, good or bad, with any of the boards
that allow this use?

I'll pass on anything I get back to anyone who expresses an interest.

David Stever
Unisys Corp.
Eagan, Minnesota

Stever@SP.Unisys.Com

[How about also sending a copy to Info-IBMPC@WSMR-Simtel20.army.mil??  gph]

------------------------------

Date: 24 Oct 88 13:02 -0800
From: Ya`akov Miles <multi%dac.triumf.cdn@relay.ubc.ca>
Subject: 120 megabytes on standard 5.25 inch IBM-AT floppy?

A normal 5-1/4 inch floppy drive has a circumferential density
of approximately 5500 flux reversals/inch on the inside track,
and a radial density of 48 tracks/inch.  Similarly, a high
density 5-1/4 inch floppy has a circumferential density about
9600 flux reversals/inch on the  inside  track,  and a radial
density of 96 tracks/inch.  Thus the circumferential density
appears to be about a factor of 100 (one hundred) above the
radial density, and it means that 99 PERCENT of the potential
space on a floppy disk gets wasted between the tracks. Surely
the manufacturers of floppy disk drives must be able to utilize
the remaining 99 percent of the radial capacity.  This could
lead to 40 megabytes on a regular floppy, and 120 megabytes
on a high-coercivity (so-called IBM-PC/AT) floppy disk, without
changing the media at all.

ps:   Computer tape had a similar problem with a very low
     information density because of the nine tracks.  Now
     Video Tape technology has solved that problem, and the
     density at right angles to the tape is approximately
     the same as the density along the tape.  This is a
     challenge to you engineers, I want my 120 megabytes
     on a standard IBM-PC/AT floppy disk...

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Nov 88 09:58:19 CST
From: moore@ncsc.ARPA (Moore)
Subject: Windows and NEC LC-890 Question

Has anyone succeeded in printing anything from (say) the Notepad in Windows
(*any* version) on an LC-890 PagePrinter (PostScript) laser printer?  I
have versions 1.03, 1.04, 2.0, and 2.1, and every one of them (incl. 2.1,
which has a driver for the LC-890) cuts off the left margin....

If you have any suggestions please contact me directly (moore@NCSC.arpa).

Thanks.
jim

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Oct 1988  08:35 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Keeping up with whats new in MSDOS collection

John, PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX is updated on a daily (sometimes several
times a day when a lot of new files are added) basis.  It is a
comma-delimited file, without descriptions, suitable for importing
into PC-File+ or dBASEIII.

If you keep a copy of the last version on your Unix host, when you
get the new version you can use the Unix "diff" program to compare the
old and new versions to display what's been added and deleted.

Each top-level directory in most of our collections has a FILES.IDX.
I can't speak for the others but the MSDOS, CPM, and MISC directories
are updated at least daily.

--Keith

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 1988  15:48 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: New MSDOS uploads

Thanks to Ralf for the following uploads:

>From: Ralf.Brown at B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU

pd1:<msdos.desqview>TAME102.ARC
pd1:<msdos.turbo-c>TC2PAT.ARC

TAME reduces the amount of CPU time programs that poll the keyboard or sys-
     tem time use when running under DESQview or some other multitaskers.

TC2PAT contains three patches for Turbo C 2.0 (can't vouch for these, I'm
     still waiting for my copy...)

Ralf

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Oct 1988  17:22 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

I just finished uploading about 1.5 megs of new files and am busy
fixing some mailing lists so won't have time to put short descriptions
with this announcement.  I wanted you to see the filenames so we
wouldn't be duplicating efforts.  I will post the same list with one
liners tomorrow or later tonight.

 Name             Bytes(SZ)               Name             Bytes(SZ)

 CASSLBL.ARC      84356(8)                KEYSWAP.ARC      945(8)
 DETECT2.ARC      28510(8)                MAXI5.ARC        36727(8)
 DOS401.ARC       19328(8)                PAK-KIT3.ARC     49130(8)
 DSZ-PAZ.ARC      21582(8)                PCPLUSNW.ARC     3039(8)
 DSZ1019.ARC      81814(8)                RNR3.ARC         39636(8)
 DSZ1019X.ARC     44149(8)                SHRC866M.ARC     2934(8)
 HOTK-Z35.ARC     48563(8)                TARIFF5.ARC      9452(8)
 ICE2LST.ARC      24806(8)                TESS.ARC         34530(8)
 ICECAT.ARC       17490(8)                TLX31MNU.ARC     8870(8)
 ICEXDIRS.ARC     42379(8)                ZCOMMDOC.ARC     252504(8)
 JMOD113.ARC      121798(8)               ZCOMMEXE.ARC     154804(8)

--Keith

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Oct 88 13:40:53 est
From: karl@grebyn.com (Karl Nyberg)
Subject: Z80MU 5.0 demo (CP/M and Z80 Emulator for the IBM PC)

A demonstration copy of the latest release of the Z80MU Professional CP/M
and Z80 emulator is now available on the SIMTEL repository.  (Thanks to
Keith Petersen for providing the disk space.)  This is a demonstration copy
of the updated version by the same folks that brought out the emulator
Z80MU310.ARC that is also contained in the same directory.

     Filename             Type   Bytes      CRC

     Directory PD1:<MSDOS.EMULATORS>
     MU_DEMO.ARC.1             BINARY      81664  9A9CH

-- Karl --

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------