Date: Wed, 2 Nov 1988  22:01 MST
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: SEA Motion Denied

Forwarded from Usenet...

>From: portal!cup.portal.com!raf at SUN.COM (Robert A Freed)

The contempt-of-court motion, which SEA filed against PKWARE, has been
denied.  Nick Kees, attorney for Phil Katz, reported the following in a
message posted to the Exec-PC BBS (414/964-5160) last night (01 Nov'88):

 > We got a decision from the judge on the contempt motion today.
 > The judge decided that there was no act of contempt committed,
 > and denied SEA's motion.

-- Bob Freed                        Internet:  raf@cup.portal.com
   Newton Centre, MA                UUCP:  ...!sun!portal!cup!raf

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  2 Nov 88 10:19:16 CST
From: Scott Comer <wert@ROSETTA.COM>
Subject: Expanded vs. Extended memory: What's the difference?

Well, that's the silliest description I've ever heard. Are you just being
silly? Just in case you aren't, here's a good working description of the
two. If you want, you may forward this to the net for public use.

Expanded memory can be used by all machines. Extended memory is only avail-
able to those processors with a larger number of address pins available,
that is, the 286 and 386.

Expanded memory cannot be directly used. It is banked in and out, with only
a 64K or 256K (depending upon the board) "window" available at any one mo-
ment.  This window appears somewhere in the lowest 1 meg of address space.
A device driver is used to control the mapping of expanded memory into this
window.  Applications must be explictly written to use expanded memory.

Extended memory is available as an extention of the address space beyond
the 640K limit. Many programs will have to be rewritten to use it (because
they assume only 640K of memory in the standard place), but some might be
able to use it without change. All of extended memory is available for use
at all times and it is all directly addressable. No device driver is needed
to control it.

scott out

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Nov 88 08:50:27 EST
From: Robert Bloom  AMCICP-IM 3775 <rbloom@apg-1.apg.army.mil>
Subject: exPanded vs exTended memory

>Expanded memory is used in AT's or higher clones (80X86 chips).  Extended
>memory is used in XT and clones...

Sorry, you got it backwards. (I think)  Just like I always did until I
figured out:

ex'P'anded memory = 'P'aged memory for the PC/XT's all the added memory is
     in 64k pages above 640k but below 1Meg

ex'T'ended memory = memory for a'T' class machines the added memory is con-
     tinuous starting at 1Meg up to 16Meg

Appause, bickbats, kudos, and rotten tomatos to:
rbloom @ apg-emh1.apg.army.mil
(or whatever name they're calling it this week.
Three name changes in a month - sheesh.)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Nov 88 13:25:49 CST
From: "David J. Camp" <david@wubios.wustl.edu>
Subject: Extended vs. Expanded Memory

Greg,

     I think you got it just backward.  Extended memory requires the wider
bus of the AT class machines, but Expanded memory can be used on any.  LIM
SPEC (Lotus-Intel-Microsoft Specification) and Expanded memory are the same
thing.  There is also an EEMS memory that has greater functionality.

     Now the 2.0 MB of extended memory that comes in my PS/2 Model 60 can
also be used as expanded memory.  It is necessary to use a special driver,
such as Quarterdeck's QEMM.SYS or Microsoft's XMAEM.SYS (80386) or
XMA2EMS.SYS (80286).

-David-

*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
| (314) 362-3635                     Mr. David J. Camp                    |
| Room 1108D                ^        Box 8067, Biostatistics              |
| 706 South Euclid        < * >      Washington University Medical School |
|                           v        660 South Euclid                     |
| Bitnet: david@wubios.wustl         Saint Louis, MO 63110                |
| Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu   uucp: uunet!wucs1!wubios!david |
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Nov 88 13:00:32 CST
From: steve@ncsc.ARPA (Mahan)
Subject: Expanded/extended memory

Sorry, Greg;

     ExTended memory is used on the AT bus.  It is memory physically lo-
cated at addresses above FFFFF.  ExPanded memory can be used in any MS-DOS
machine.  It consists of memory logically located above the normal 640K
user memory and accessed by a bank switching mechanism.

     Note that special software drivers in certain machines can treat ex-
tended memory as expanded memory.  No 8086 or 8088 machine can use extended
memory as more than 20 address lines are needed to access it.

Stephen Mahan
Code 5430
Naval Coastal Systems Center
(904) 234-4224
steve@ncsc.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 02 Nov 88 08:55:08 EST
From: Joe Morris (jcmorris@mitre.arpa) <jcmorris@mitre.arpa>
Subject: YTERM availability

In Info-IBMPC 7:44 Don Johnson asks:

> Does anyone know where I can get a copy of YTERM ?
> [...]
>I need to know: where, how to, and how much.
>thanks.

YTERM is available from:

   Yale University Computer Center
   175 Whitney Avenue
   P. O. Box 2112
   Yale Station
   New Haven, Connecticut 06520-2112

   (203) 432-6600

It's a licensed product, but the license is rather reasonable.  You'll have
to sign a copy before they will sell you the code, but all you should need
would be a call to them and they'll send you a package with the order forms
and license agreement.

Cost is $50 per copy; site licenses are $1000 (educational) and $2000
(anyone else including government).  Full source is available for $50
additional.  Same prices are posted for TINCAN, which is the equivalent
of YTERM on a MacIntosh.

They also sell the host side of the YTERM file transfer protocol for $50
each for IBM and VAX/VMS systems.  Ditto for TINCAN, a MacIntosh equivalent
of YTERM.

It's a reasonably good product (no, I'm not at the latest version of YTERM)
but since their main business isn't software support for problems can be
slow.  Despite this, we've long since made YTERM/TINCAN our standard
package
for our 2000 or so PC's and Mac's here.  (Kermit is the other
centrally-supported emulator, both for PC's and Mac's.)

------------------------------

Date:     Wed, 2 Nov 88 11:52 N
From:     <ISASME%HHEOUH50.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu> (A.P.M. Smeele)
Subject:  How does Windows-386 use extended memory?

In Windows 2.0 manuals Microsoft states that MS-Windows 2.0 will use ex-
panded memory as available, but does not use extended memory, so extended
memory should be configured as expanded memory.

The supplementary manual "Using MS Windows/386" more or less agrees with
this statement (pages 25,26). The WIN.INI parameter "emmsize=" in section
[win386] can be used to manipulate expanded memory use by Windows (it says
nothing about extended memory!).

Rather confusing however the same manual at page 6 includes a section on
"Converting expanded memory to extended memory", suggesting that
Windows/386 supports extended memory.  Setting up the "emmsize=" as "0"
seems to lead to the best results, (I'm able to load more Windows
applications)..

By the way our configuration includes: IBM PS2/80 with 8 Mb extended
memory, running MSDOS 3.3 and Windows/386.

Does anyone know what's in fact happening here? How do I have Windows use
the full 8 Mb extended memory?

Ton Smeele,
                              Open university - Netherlands
                   bitnet:    ISASME@HHEOUH51
                   surfnet:   OUHV01::ISASME

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Nov 1988  11:57 MST
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: New MSDOS Uploads

Recent MSDOS uploads from David Kirschbaum:

pd1:<msdos.education>
CHEMICAL.ARC - Build, display chemical molecules (CGAEGA required) From
     PCSIG Volume 938.  Runs but does not display on my "Hercules-
     compatible" mono graphics card.  Hopefully it'll do better on a real
     CGA or EGA, because it sounds like a marvelous tool or educational
     device for budding chemists. (snarfed from the NCSU PUBLIC archives.
     Thanks, NC State!)

pd1:<msdos.sysutl>
ELF11.ARC - Batch util, returns desired ERRORLEVEL or Yes/No prompt First
     version (snarfed from SIMTEL) had A86 source.  This version has all
     the original files, plus ASM/MASM source, (slightly tweaked).

pd1:<msdos.sysutl>
EPATH1.ARC - Edit/change DOS PATH (w/ASM source, tweaked) Disassembly and
     slight tweak of EPATH.COM.  Permits you to view, edit, and/or replace
     DOS's existing PATH.  Original .COM, new (v1.1) source and .COM,
     documentation.

pd1:<msdos.education>
GARDENER.ARC - Garden planning utility  From PCSIG Volume 1125, snarfed
     from NCSU PUBLIC archives. Plan, predict, manage your vegetable gar-
     den.  Given available area, mouths to feed, type veggies, helps you
     plan the layout, when to plant, expected output, etc.  I'm no gardener
     (cans are fine, thank you), but some of you (even real agricultural
     types in business and education) may find this interesting and/or use-
     ful.

pd1:<msdos.sq-usq>
LZ13.ARC - LZW encode/decode [.ASM source][tweaked] LZW compression algo-
     rithm in 8088 (MASM) assembler with executables.  Original version,
     plus two tweaked versions (prompts for filenames, cmd line & StdOut).
     They all work fine for single files (binary or text), but do not have
     the niceties that ARC, PKARC, etc. have. Original credits in documen-
     tation.

pd1:<msdos.sysutl>
MORERAM1.ARC - Use more RAM than system switches indicate [ASM src]
     Original program worked fine, but no source.  Disassembled, tweaked a
     little.  Program checks actual RAM in system, then updates BIOS data
     to reflect that.  This lets you set system switches to indicate mini-
     mum RAM (shortens cold boot time), yet enables system to use all
     available RAM.  Donno if this'll work in ATs or anything with more
     than 640Kb.  Original program, tweaked source, doc, tweaked .COM.

pd1:<msdos.sysutl>
NMI.ARC - Command line or TSR memory tester (nondestructive) Snarfed from
     ROS BBS, Fayetteville NC Works fine (apparently) on my 640Kb XT clone
     (8MHz), but did NOT reveal a flakey RAM chip I KNOW is somewhere in
     this sucker!  (But then nothing else has either!)

pd1:<msdos.asmutl>
PROCTYPE.ARC - Assembler routine to test,return CPU type From Micro Cor-
     nucopia Magazine.  Includes article, procedure (ASM src), test program
     (ASM and .BAT).

pd1:<msdos.menu>
PROMAN.ARC - Program Manager; schedule tasks and jobs From PCSIG Volume
     897, snarfed from NCSU PUBLIC archives.

pd1:<msdos.ega>
RAX.ARC - 3 Dimensional EGA Demonstration (128K EGA required) Demonstrates
     both 3 dimensional rotation and dithering of 4096 colors for the EGA.
     DEMANDS an EGA (my monochrome graphics Hercules clone with HGCIBM
     graphics driver failed completely with system lockup!).

pd1:<msdos.sysutl>
ROMCI.ARC - Three-page system status display Yet another system display.
     Reads ROM, other system components, displays system status in three
     screen pages.

pd1:<msdos.education>
SOLAR.ARC - Graphic solar system display Nice little display of the solar
     system (selected planets, dates, etc.)  Menu for various statistics
     about the system, how comets orbit, sun/earth/moon orbits w/moon
     phases, etc. Requires at least monochrome graphics.  (Works fine with
     my Hercules clone and HGCIBM.COM graphics driver.)  Snarfed from ROS
     BBS, Fayetteville NC, 11 Oct 88.  No documentation, original author
     unknown.  Works fine.

pd1:<msdos.screen>
UNBLINK2.ARC - Turn blinking cursor on/off (TSR) (tweaked) Utility goes
     TSR, turns blinking cursor off (e.g., no cursor at all).  Toggle
     on/off with 3 ALT keys, then "u".  ARC includes original UNBLINK1.COM,
     my tweaked version (smaller, faster, UNBLINK2.COM), short documenta-
     tion.  Source unavailable (original authors hold copyright).

pd1:<msdos.turbopas>
UPCONV12.ARC - Turbo Pascal source code case conversion v1.2 Fixed dumb bug
     in v1.1.  Archive includes original v1.0 source, v1.2 source and .COM
     file, short doc.  Converts Turbo Pascal source file to a case-
     formatted output file ("standard" Pascal reserved words in upper case,
     Turbo Pascal reserved words in "Borland" style (with switches to force
     all reserved words to uppercase).

                David Kirschbaum
                Toad Hall
                kirsch@braggvax.ARPA