mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) (04/12/89)

In article <2211@water.waterloo.edu>
wlrush@water.waterloo.edu (Wenchantress Wench Wendall) writes:

> DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE
> UNIVERSITY OF WATERLOO
> SEMINAR ACTIVITIES

> DATA STRUCTURING SEMINAR

>                        -Monday, April 17, 1989

> Dr. Ricardo Baez-Yates will speak on "Searching Regular Expressions".

> TIME:          3:30-5:30 PM

> ROOM:          DC 1304                <===    Eh?

> ABSTRACT

>       [ ... ]

For the benefit of those of us from out of town who may come up for
the talk, could someone at UW please tell us what building "DC" is?

Perhaps the folks at Waterloo who post seminar announcements might
consider emulating Jim Clarke:  Whenever he posts an announcement
about UofT events, he includes a legend which explains what all the
abbreviations mean, and where the buildings are; for example:

    (SF = Sandford Fleming Building, 10 King's College Road)
         (GB = Galbraith Building, 35 St. George Street)

-----

Mark Bartelt                          UUCP: {utzoo,decvax}!sickkids!mark
Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto   BITNET: mark@sickkids.utoronto
416/598-6442                          INTERNET: mark@sickkids.toronto.edu

mnarayan@hcr.UUCP (Michael Narayan) (04/13/89)

In article <150@sickkids.UUCP> mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) writes:
>> ROOM:          DC 1304                <===    Eh?
>>       [ ... ]
>
>For the benefit of those of us from out of town who may come up for
>the talk, could someone at UW please tell us what building "DC" is?

DC is the William G. Davis Computer Research Centre. It's the ugly
(well, ugliest) building on campus which resembles the Eaton Centre
in Toronto. It's located on Ring Road (the road which encircles the
campus), and is on the eastern part of the campus. Once you're on
Ring Road, just drive straight, in either direction until you
get there.

There are maps on the walls of every floor (like all of
the other buildings) showing the floor plan and where you are.
There are only a few - two or three I believe - classrooms/lecture theatres
so finding these aren't very hard.

Michael J. Narayan
HCR Corp.
{utcsri!utzoo}!hcr!mnarayan

Opinions ? I'm just the co-op slave labour.

mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) (04/13/89)

In article <274@hcr.UUCP> mnarayan@hcrvx1.UUCP (Michael Narayan) writes:

[  Answers to my questions about what building the seminar is in  ]

Thanks for the info.  Now, I have one or two other questions ...

> TIME:          3:30-5:30 PM

Do UW seminars *really* last two hours, or is part of this time allocated
to pre- and/or post-seminar coffee/cookies/whatever?

Also, do they tend to start at the advertised time?  UofT has a curious
tradition of beginning at least five (and usually ten (or more)) minutes
after the posted time.  Nearly everyone is aware of this, so most people
don't even bother arriving until at least five minutes or so after the
seminar is advertised to begin, leaving those who aren't in the know (and
who therefore arrive a few minutes *before* the posted time) to sit around
reading, sleeping, or staring at the walls.

Does UW do the same thing, or do things begin when they're alleged to begin?

-----

tak@eecg.toronto.edu (Mike Takefman) (04/13/89)

In article <274@hcr.UUCP> mnarayan@hcrvx1.UUCP (Michael Narayan) writes:
>DC is the William G. Davis Computer Research Centre. It's the ugly
>(well, ugliest) building on campus which resembles the Eaton Centre
>in Toronto.

Having been at waterloo for 5 years, during which time the davis center
was being constructed, I don't think that it is THE ugliest building
on campus. The most garish (sp?) and trendy yes, ugliest well maybe
second or third. The environmental studies building  gets my vote
for ugliest.

--
Michael Takefman	"Who killed John F. Kennedy ? "
University of Toronto		"The Phone Company!"

clarke@csri.toronto.edu (Jim Clarke) (04/13/89)

In article <13289@watdragon.waterloo.edu> rabaeza@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Ricardo A. Baeza-Yates) writes:
>In article <151@sickkids.UUCP> mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) writes:
>  >...
>  >Also, do they tend to start at the advertised time?  UofT has a curious
>  >tradition of beginning at least five (and usually ten (or more)) minutes
>  >after the posted time....
>
>  >Does UW do the same thing, or do things begin when they're alleged to begin?
>
>I would say that at UW we try to start on time, or at most 5 minutes late.

We actually start at 10 minutes after the hour, not 5.  Every university
I've been at has 50-minute lectures, but they seem to use different
displacements from the 0-minute point.  UofT's is +10.  This is a poor
choice because reminds everyone that we're just lazy academics, out of
touch with the world.

What's *really* curious is that (1) though classes begin at :10, seminars
and colloquia often start early, at :08, or wait until more like :15.
Also (2) you can't persuade UofT people to say "3 p.m." instead of "3:00"
when they mean "3:10".  In order to mean "3:00" you have to say "3:00
sharp" here.

(I plead guilty to that last one myself, in my postings in this newsgroup.
But, as I said before, I just process what someone else types.)
--
Jim Clarke -- Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4
              (416) 978-4058

rabaeza@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Ricardo A. Baeza-Yates) (04/14/89)

In article <151@sickkids.UUCP> mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) writes:
  >In article <274@hcr.UUCP> mnarayan@hcrvx1.UUCP (Michael Narayan) writes:
  >
  >[  Answers to my questions about what building the seminar is in  ]
  >
  >Thanks for the info.  Now, I have one or two other questions ...
  >
  >> TIME:          3:30-5:30 PM
  >
  >Do UW seminars *really* last two hours, or is part of this time allocated
  >to pre- and/or post-seminar coffee/cookies/whatever?

No. Is only one hour (and I do not plan to talk longer than that :-).
I guess that is the time allocated when the room was booked.

  >Also, do they tend to start at the advertised time?  UofT has a curious
  >tradition of beginning at least five (and usually ten (or more)) minutes
  >after the posted time.  Nearly everyone is aware of this, so most people
  >don't even bother arriving until at least five minutes or so after the
  >seminar is advertised to begin, leaving those who aren't in the know (and
  >who therefore arrive a few minutes *before* the posted time) to sit around
  >reading, sleeping, or staring at the walls.

  >Does UW do the same thing, or do things begin when they're alleged to begin?

I would say that at UW we try to start on time, or at most 5 minutes late.

rabaeza@watmum.waterloo.{edu,cdn}  519-885-1211 x3497  Ricardo Baeza-Yates
rabaeza@watmum.uwaterloo.ca                            CS Dept., U. Waterloo
uunet!watmath!watmum!rabaeza                           Waterloo, Ont. N2L3G1

wlrush@water.waterloo.edu (Wenchantress Wench Wendall) (04/19/89)

Approximate String Matching".

                    -Monday, April 24, 1989

Mr.  Esko  Ukonnen of University of Helsinki will speak
on "Efficient Approximate String Matching".

TIME:                 3:30 PM

ROOM:              DC 1302

ABSTRACT

We discuss recent advances in sequential algorithms for
computing the edit distance between two strings and for
finding   approximate  occurrences  of  a  string  (the
pattern) in another string (the text).  Such algorithms
can  be  based  on  a  very  simple dynamic programming
method  with  running  time O(mn) where m and n are the
lengths  of  the  two strings compared. The emphasis of
the talk is on different ideas of speeding up the basic
dynamic programming. The resulting algorithms include a
method for the edit distance problem with the desirable
property  of being the faster the smaller is the actual
distance.  For  the approximate string pattern matching
problem  we obtain various O(kn) methods where n is the
length  of  the  text  and  k  is  the maximum distance
allowed in a match.

gamiddleton@watmath.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) (04/20/89)

In article <150@sickkids.UUCP> mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) writes:
> For the benefit of those of us from out of town who may come up for
> the talk, could someone at UW please tell us what building "DC" is?
>
> Perhaps the folks at Waterloo who post seminar announcements might
> consider emulating Jim Clarke:  Whenever he posts an announcement
> about UofT events, he includes a legend which explains what all the
> abbreviations mean, and where the buildings are ...

The most annoying thing about posting for Waterloo events is the formatting
of the messages.  They are always right-justified, which, for me at least,
makes them more diffiult to read.  The UofT announcements have a much nicer
format.

 -Guy

wlrush@water.waterloo.edu (Wenchantress Wench Wendall) (07/06/89)

will speak on ``Priority Search Trees:  Applications and Variations.''

                    -Monday, July 10, 1989

Professor Dr.  Thomas  Ottman, University of Freiburg, will speak
on    "Priority   Search   Trees:    Applications   and
Variations."

TIME:                 3:30 p.m.

ROOM:              DC 1302

ABSTRACT

Priority  search  trees, invented by McCreight, combine
properties   of  search  trees  and  heaps.  They  were
originally used as a data structure in a time and space
optimal   algorithm   for   reporting   all   pairs  of
intersecting  rectangles in a given set of iso-oriented
rectangles   in   the   plane.  Possible  applications,
however, go beyond this special problem. We discuss the
dynamic  fixed  windowing  problem  as an example. Here
insertions  and  deletions  of  points are possible and
range  queries  with  a  translated polygonal window of
fixed size.

Variants  of  priority  search  trees  are  obtained by
choosing   an   appropriate   coordinate   system,   an
underlying  class  of  leaf search trees, the number of
points  to be stored per node, and the memory (internal
or  external). We discuss several of these variants, in
particular  the  difficulties  in designing appropriate
external  versions.   It  turns out that a new class of
red-black trees is useful in this context.