Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (11/18/88)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Thu,  17 Nov 88       Volume 7 : Issue  50

This Week's Editor:
     Gregory Hicks -- Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                               Administrivia
                           Standard Descriptions
                              Missing Digests
New Programs Available:
                         New MSDOS Upload (4 msgs)
                    Ralf Brown's interrupt list updated
           Z80MU 5.0 demo (CP/M and Z80 Emulator for the IBM PC)

Info-IBMPC Lending Library is available from:

Bitnet via server at CCUC; and from WSMR-Simtel20.Aamy.mil (see file
    PD1:<msdos>files.idx for listing of source files)

WSMR-Simtel20.ARPA can now be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
    via LISTSERV@RPICICGE.BITNET and in Europe from
    TRICKLE@TREARN (Turkey) and TRICKLE@DKTC11 (Denmark)

Send replies or notes for publication to:
     <Info-IBMPC@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
    the distribution list, et al) to:
       <Info-IBMPC-Request@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 1988  22:32 MST
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-Simtel20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Administrivia

SIMTEL20's official host name has been changed to WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

--Keith Petersen

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 1988  22:22 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-Simtel20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Standard Descriptions

From: Dick Flanagan <slvblc!dick at ucscc.UCSC.EDU>

I agree.  The suggested ten-line size would also be a perfect fit for
GEnie.

Dick

-----
Good point, Dick.  It should be ten lines maximum.  That way the long
descriptions will be interchangable with GEnie.  If Charlie Strom doesn't
object we could have a free exchange of needed descriptions.  I've noticed
that some descriptions are better than others (depends a lot on the
uploader) so it's possible ours would be of use to you, Dick.

--Keith

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 29 Oct 88 01:05:27 MDT
From: Gregory Hicks <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Missing Digests

The messages WERE sent.  I was in the process of changing from the
<Walker-emh.arpa> host to the <Taegu-EMH1.Army.Mil> host (same site, dif-
ferent names and machines) and the new system was up and down like a yo-yo.
I've since changed to WSMR-Simtel20 (as sugested by Frank Wancho QUITE some
time ago) and will re-forward those messages. To the WHOLE world.  I was
quite busy during September with the various ships visiting Korea, and just
trying to act like a one armed paper hanger with a broken arm...  Regrets.

(For info, I'm the Operations Officer for Fleet Activities, Chinhae (ROK)
and when we're busy, we're REALLY busy.  Other times (like now) I'm not so
busy and get to sleep nights.  My office handles port arrangements for ALL
USN ships visiting ANY of the southern ports of Korea.  These arrangements
include, but are not limited to, vehicle support, provisions, fuel, water,
tours for the crews, protocol matters, (just about anything you can think
of...)  We had 3 ports going at once last month.  This kept me on the road
a bit...

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 1988  12:59 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-Simtel20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: New MSDOS Upload

Now available from WSMR-Simtel20:

Filename             Type   Bytes      CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.ARC-LBR>
MDCD10.ARC.1              BINARY     122797  8506H

From: thaler at speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Maurice Thaler)

Keith, I have uploaded MDCD10.ARC to WSMR-Simtel20. It is a new compression
program that will handle PATHs, DRIVES, etc uses 13 BIT LZW, is not trying
to compete with PK or SEA. Read the doc, for a slightly strange rap.

The doc file is interesting reading.  Below is an excerpt which is intended
to give an idea of what this program is.  The ARC file includes executables
for those without the required compiler/assembler.

--Keith

MDCD 1.0 is the first release of a file compression and decompression
program that compresses data using a 13 bit LZW algorithm.  It was written
in Turbo Pascal and requires the Turbo Pascal 5.0 compiler.  Portions are
written in 808x assembler and require Turbo Assembler 1.0 or MASM 3.0+.

It is not as fast as PKWARE products but compresses almost as well.  It is
significantly faster and compresses better than the only version of ARC
that I could find to compare it against (version 5.20).

It demonstrates some interesting differences when compared to current file
compression/decompression programs.

It is not a replacement for PKWARE/SEA products.  It is not a solution to
the ARC wars that currently have (to mention a few) BBS Sysops, telecom-
munications networks and PC users in general in total disarray.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 1988  22:14 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-Simtel20.ARMY.MIL>

Now available from WSMR-Simtel20:

Filename             Type   Bytes      CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>
ELF.ARC.1            BINARY       4412  9542H

ELF is a program to set the specified error level for batch files.  It was
written to fulfill two needs:  The need to allow operator input in batch
files, in the form of Yes/No answers, and the need to force ERRORLEVEL to a
specified value.  The former function is available in several programs, but
the latter is not.  ELF combines both into one easy to use program.

It has two modes of operation:

1.   If invoked by: ELF <CR> it will display: (Y/N)? on the screen & wait
     for one of these keys to be pressed.  It will then exit with error-
     level 255 if N was pressed, or error level 0 if Y was pressed.  With
     careful editing of prompts in a batch file, this can be used to make
     run-time operator decisions in batch files.

2.   If invoked by: ELF XX <CR>  where XX is a two digit HEXADECIMAL num-
     ber.  ELF will terminate with the specified error level.  This can add
     error level processing to programs that do not support it by chaining
     to ELF upon termination.

The ARC contains source code (A86 assembler), doc file, and executable.

--Keith

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 1988  12:03 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-Simtel20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: New MSDOS Uploads

New upload:
pd1:<msdos.sysutl>
DIAGTXT.ARC     - Two text files explain PC system, memory diagnostics In-
     clude error listings, suggested "do it yourself", available diagnostic
     utilities.  Snarfed from ROS BBS, Fayetteville NC. Files are dated Dec
     86, but appear to still be useful.

          David Kirschbaum
          Toad Hall
          kirsch@braggvax.ARPA

Thanks, Dave!
--Keith

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 1988  11:04 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-Simtel20.ARMY.MIL>

I uploaded the following new MSDOS files to WSMR-Simtel20 this morning:

pd1:<msdos.filutl>
COPYIT10.ARC    Feature filled replacement of DOS Copy

pd1:<msdos.zmodem>
HOTK-Z41.ARC    HOTKEY-Z V4.1 - Significant rewrite - menu interface for
DSZ

pd1:<msdos.modem>
JMOD114.ARC     Latest JMODEM 1.14 of 10/20/88 external protocol module

pd1:<msdos.rbbs-pc>
171A-TXT.ARC    RBBS 17.1A text files
RBBSPGVW.ARC    Merges to 17.1A for The Chat DOOR 4.03

pd1:<msdos.telix>
PASSIT.ARC      Telix script - puts password in FK3

pd1:<msdos.pcmag>
VOL7N20.ARC     PC Mag. 11/29/88 (CONFIG,STRING2,VIDEODEM)

--Keith

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Oct 1988  17:03 MST
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Ralf Brown's interrupt list updated

Now available from WSMR-Simtel20:

Filename                       Type       Bytes   CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>
INTERRUP.ARC.12                BINARY     167506  2D98H

This is Ralf Brown's comprehensive list of MS/PCDOS interrupts, an excel-
lent reference source for programmers.

Thanks for the update, Ralf!

--Keith

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Oct 1988  16:12 MST
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-Simtel20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Z80MU 5.0 demo (CP/M and Z80 Emulator for the IBM PC)

>From: grebyn!karl at haven.umd.edu (Karl Nyberg)

    A demonstration copy of the latest release of the Z80MU Professional
CP/M and Z80 emulator is now available on the SIMTEL repository.  (Thanks
to Keith Petersen for providing the disk space.)  This is a demonstration
copy of the updated version by the same folks that brought out the emulator
Z80MU310.ARC that is also contained in the same directory.  A portion of
the README.DOC file is attached.

     Filename             Type   Bytes      CRC

     Directory PD1:<MSDOS.EMULATORS>
     MU_DEMO.ARC.1             BINARY      81664  9A9CH

-- Karl --

[ README.DOC ]

This is a demonstration version of Z80MU Professional (version 5.0), which
emulates CP/M and the Z80 chip.  It runs on the IBM PC.

To run it:

     1) Copy all files into a directory
     2) Move any CP/M programs which you want to test to the same directory
     3) Type Z80MU at the DOS prompt

You may exit the test program which runs automatically by pressing the
{End} key.  Then just run your own CP/M programs as if you were sitting at
a CP/M terminal.

If you want to permanently remove the test program so that it isn't
automatically run at every invocation of Z80MU, then delete either the
TEST.COM file or the AUTOEXEC.Z80 file, or both.

There is no manual distributed with this demo.  Try using the Z80MU "HELP"
command if you need it.

Files on this demo disk:

     Z80MU.EXE  The emulator itself.  Run this from DOS.

     AUTOEXEC.Z80    Z80MU's equivalent of a DOS "AUTOEXEC.BAT" file,
               executed (if present) whenever Z80MU starts up.

     TEST.COM   An introductory CP/M program run automatically
               from the AUTOEXEC.Z80 file.

     SETTINGS.COM    A CP/M program which displays some of Z80MU's
               current variable settings.

---end forwarded message---

Here is a ten-line description I created from the help screens:

MU-DEMO is a limited demo of Z80MU Professional ver. 5.0, a Z80 and CP/M
     2.2 emulator for the IBM PC.  It has built-in terminal emulations:
     H19, Kaypro, Osborne, Televideo 950, Raw; full SUBMIT file support,
     with argument substitution; interactive full-screen CP/M memory ex-
     amine and patch in HEX or ASCII; interactive full-screen debugger; in-
     teractive full-screen disassembler; full-screen online HELP screens;
     exceedingly accurate CP/M emulation; optional CCP to allow WORDSTAR's
     SPELSTAR and BDS C to work; CP/M command line keyboard macro expan-
     sion; CP/M command recall and edit; full RESOURCE capability to
     produce source code from object code; Z80 IN & OUT addresses mapped to
     PC I/O adrs. 0300H-03FFH; Assign CP/M's RDR, PUN, & LIST to PC's COM:
     or LPT: ports.

--Keith

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------