Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (11/18/88)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Thu, 17 Nov 88       Volume 7 : Issue  52

Today's Topics:
                    ISAM Index maintenance programs in c
        Expanded vs. Extended memory: What's the difference? (2 msgs)
                        PAK10.EXE program bugs (??)
                  Request for Public Domain c++ compiler
                        C++ and Smalltalk Compilers
                       SEA and Antitrust violations
                  SEA Motion Denied (Text of Court Order)
                      Trouble connecting to Simtel20
                             Speeding up POST
                                TSR answers
Today's Queries:
                              MS-DOS Archives
                            RS232 in MS-Fortran
                           Disk partition table
                         multask.arc from simtel20
               Interfacing 8 Inch Winchester Drive to Z-248
                     Language Teachine Software Wanted
                              Kermit and VMS
                             Schedule program?
                          Setup disk for INFO-286
                         High Speed Modem Problem
                       Terak -> IBM PC file transfer
                         VT200/graphics emulators
                        WORDSTAR Printing Problems

New Programs Available:

                   CB.ARC removed from SIMTEL20 archives
                               MSDOS upload
                     ZOO 2.01 source files on SIMTEL20
           ZOO 2.01 VAX/UNIX/MSDOS sources uploaded to SIMTEL20

Date: Tue, 11 Oct 1988 12:48 IST
From:  Sefi Merkel <SEFI%BGUVM.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: ISAM Index maintenance programs in c

The message below came to me with the Cnews vol 3.  Can someone send me the
ARC or might know where on BITNET I can find it?

File Name: BPLUS11.ARC

This file provides a full set of routines for creating and maintaining in-
dex files using the Binary Tree ISAM B+ technique.  These classic algo-
rithms support the fastest known indexing system so far devised for
manipulation of random access data files.

The routines are complete in themselves and are very useful, supporting up
to 8 levels of keys.  Some prior knowledge of binary tree theory and tech-
niques is a must to gain the maximum benefit from the package, which comes
with full C source.  This is a later version (1.1) of the original public
domain BPLUS routines.

One drawback of the packages, as I see it, is the inability to handle non-
ASCII keys.  However, with some work, it is possible to modify the routines
to work with any kind of data field, depending upon specific requirements.
This, however, adds a degree of complexity which the author seemed to avoid
in the interests of clarity.

Overall, an excellent package, not at all compiler specific.  It is both
fast and flexible, providing excellent algorithms for searching a sequenc-
ing by key values.  Certainly it aided me in coming to grips with ISAM file
techniques, as all these are provided.  A couple of short demos are thrown
in for good measure, showing how index files are created and maintained.

Source code: Yes - no executables.
Language: C
Compiler: K & R standard code, suitable for most compilers.

Thanx

. ________________________________________________ .
./                                                \.
(   _/\_  Sefi Merkel  Beer-Sheva  ISRAEL _/\_     )
)   X  X    BGU  Ben Gurion University    X  X     (
(    \/  Industrial Engeneering Menagement \/      )
.\________________________________________________/

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Nov 88 15:42:25 -0800
From: jns@meridian.COM
Subject: Expanded vs. Extended memory: What's the difference?

----The Difference Between Expanded and Extended Memory Explained----

The so-called 640K Barrier is a fundamental limitation of DOS that hearks
back to the days of 8088-based PCs.  Those old PCs simply could not address
more than 1000KB (one megabyte), and 360K of that address space was not
then and is not now available to DOS, leaving 640K.  With the advent of new
processors in the 80x86 family (the 80286 and the 80386), IBM PCs and com-
patibles have evolved, becoming not only faster, but also capable of ad-
dressing more memory.  Sadly, DOS has not kept pace.  Instead, alternative
operating systems, such as OS/2 and UNIX, have been introduced, which are
better able to use that extra memory and extra processing power.  But since
most DOS applications have not migrated to those operating systems, most
end-users find themselves more comfortable sticking with DOS for the time
being.  As a result, industry has created Expanded Memory, also called LIM,
EMS, EEMS, or XMS in its many variants.

Expanded memory is a complicated beast of a solution to the 640K memory
crunch, albeit a traditional one for computers with limited address spaces
(e.g. Apple IIs with > 56KB RAM).  The expanded memory scheme provides
chunks of memory that overlay each other in DOS's 640K memory space (or,
more accurately, in the 8088/8086 1MB address space).  For a program to
gain access to more than 1MB, the memory chunks have to be swapped around
with each other.  This approach, which is sometimes called ``bank
switching'', tends to be less efficient for programs, such as compilers,
that build and use very large random-access data structures.  Programs that
use expanded memory must perform low-level operations to switch the memory
banks and perform book keeping to keep track of what objects are in which
memory bank.  Not many different programs can deal with bank switching.

The alternative to Expanded memory is Extended Memory.  Extended memory is
directly supported by the addressing modes of the 80286 and 80386 proces-
sors when the processors are running in ``Protected Mode''.  Extended
memory provides a unique memory storage spot for each address.  In most IBM
PC-compatible systems based on 80286 and 80386 processors, up to 16
megabytes of Extended memory can be installed; 16MB is the address space of
the 80286.  However, since DOS runs in Real Mode, not in Protected Mode,
the additional memory is inaccessible unless a DOS program enters Protected
Mode.  Sadly, 80286 processors, which are prevalent in PC/AT-class systems,
have no method, other than having a hard Reset signal applied, to re-enter
Real Mode so that DOS system calls can be made.  Different systems have
different methods of applying a Reset signal (some involve sinister trick-
ery with the keyboard I/O ports).  Fortunately, there are commercially
available DOS extension programs that handle this problem transparently on
a wide variety of systems.

To summarize, Expanded memory is a bank switching scheme that can be used
on all the 8086-family processors.  Extended memory is directly addressable
memory, but can only be used on the high-end processors, the 80286 and
80386.  Under DOS, both kinds of memory have drawbacks.

s/ Jerry N. Sweet
Member of the Technical Staff
Meridian Software Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Nov 1988  14:40 EST
From: SOLEY@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU

    Expanded memory is used in AT's or higher clones (80X86 chips).  Ex-
tended memory is used in XT and clones...

Whoops!  "Extended" memory refers to the memory above 1 MB that is addres-
sable by the 80286 and 80386 in non-8086-emulation-mode.  The 8086 can only
address 1MB of memory due to its 20 bit physical address limitation
(despite its 32 bit "virtual" addresses).  The 80286 and 80386, in
protected mode, have (respectively) 24 and 32 bit physical addresses, and
can thus "see" more memory -- though not when executing in real mode.  Use
of this "extended" memory thus requires at least a trivial protected-mode
operating system, such as DOS' INT 15; or something more complex, like
Windows/386, OS/386, RUN|386, etc.

"Expanded" memory refers to a bank-switching memory scheme wherein some
number of 64K segments of addressing view a larger segment of memory by
switching the addressing of that memory.  It's basically a non-transparent
type of paging, and like everything on the PC, was invented literally
decades ago, only to be "invented" for the PC in the "enlightened" 1980's.

So "expanded" memory can be available on any 8086, 80286, or 80386 machine;
"extended" memory can only be used on the later chips.  Just to make this
*more* confusing, there are emulators for doing both, somewhat incorrectly,
using other forms of memory (i.e., disks).

Hope that clears it up.

Richard Soley

[I admit I kinda blew my original answer.  In a BIG way.  Sorry!  gph]

------------------------------

Date: 10 Nov 1988 13:16-CST
From: SAC.96BMW-LGSPP@E.ISI.EDU
Subject: PAK10.EXE program bugs (??)

   I downloaded PAK10.EXE from the Simtel 20 archives and I believe I have
found a bug in the EXEMAKE.EXE file.

   If you run it by itself, it says that its syntax is...

EXEMAKE arcfile [exefile]

   so I typed in....EXEMAKE rmenu.arc rmsda.exe

The exe file it created, however,  was rmenu.exe   I tried this many times,
in many different ways, and it will not name the exe file in any way except
the same fname as the ARC (or PAK) file.

    If anyone knows the problem, or the author, please help.

Right now, I just rename the arcfile before running EXEMAKE.  Also, EXEMAKE
tends to depend on its filename... So if you create an SDA with it. DON'T
rename the EXE file you made.  Or it will work incorrectly..

Other than this beef, I really liked the program.  It gives you something
to look at while it un-archives your files.

| Richard A. Gautier, Airman First Class, USAF    |
| ARPA: SAC.96BMW-LGSPP@e.isi.edu                 |
| Work: 915-696-4946  Play: 915-695-3406          |
| Programmers never die, they just get debugged!  |

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Nov 88 19:52 PST
From: "Michael Bass, Postmaster" <MBASS@uoneuro.uoregon.edu>
Subject: Request for Public Domain c++ compiler

In that issue there was a request for information on a public domain c++
for PC's.  I would be interested in receiving any issues in which a reply
to that request was included.

Thank you.
Michael Bass, Postmaster
mbass@uoneuro.uoregon.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 07 Nov 88 17:48:08 ITA
From: FERENC%IECSEC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: C++ and Smalltalk Compilers

Some time ago, I asked for information on C++ and Smalltalk compilers. Here
is the summary of answers:

1. -------------------
There's a company here in Dublin, Ireland called Glockenspiel who claimed
to have produced the first working C++ a year or two ago. They have ver-
sions running on Sun, pc, vax, and unix machines etc etc. I seem to remem-
ber seeing an advertisment of theirs in Byte a few months back if you want
to try to dig it

2. -------------------
Try to find the ZORTECK C++ product. Its a real C++ compiler which genera-
tes executable code rather than a C++ to C translator.  Also see the latest
issue of Byte which has an article on C++ and a list of suppliers.

Newly released and supposedly very good C++ for the IBM clone family is
maden by Zortech Inc. for the PC.

        Zortech Inc.
        361 Massachusetts Ave.
        Arlington, MA 02174
        voice (617) 646-6703
        order (800) 848-8408

The costs are: $99, plus $49 for source code and libraries.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Nov 88 12:01:48 EST
From: Jeff_MacKie-Mason@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: SEA and Antitrust violations

 In Info-IBMPC V7 #47, Marshall Dudley refers to the Sherman Antitrust Act
as grounds for finding SEA's actions against Phil Katz illegal.  Dudley ap-
parently misunderstands the a major exception to the Sherman Act.
Copyright and patent law explicitly grants to creators and inventors monop-
oly rights to make, use and vend their creations, as a matter of public
policy (in fact, the principle is established in the Constitution).  Much
of the point of copyright and patent protection is to allow creators the
right to prevent others from using their work without a license.

The boundaries between antitrust and intellectual property laws are very
complex.  Many monopolistic behaviors by owners of copyrights and patents
are in fact illegal.  (For a survey, see A. Kaplow, Harvard Law Review,
1984).  In fact, nearly every defendant in an copyright or patent case
brings forth antitrust claims as a defense, arguing that the owner of the
copyright or patent has exceeded the scope of their property rights and
thus cannot prevent the particular use in question. I would be very
surprised if Phil Katz's lawyers did not raise anti-trust arguments in his
cases, since they are one of the first defenses always raised.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, but a economist.  However, I have consulted
on several legal cases involving patent and antitrust issues in high-
technology industries, including cases involving Intel and Du Pont.

------------------------------

Date: Friday, 4 November 1988  05:14-MST
From: portal!cup.portal.com!raf@sun.com (Robert A Freed)
Subject: SEA Motion Denied (Text of Court Order)

This is the text of the order denying SEA's motion seeking a contempt
citation against PKWare and Phil Katz.

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
EASTERN DISTRICT OF WISCONSIN
SYSTEM ENHANCEMENT
ASSOCIATES, INC.,
                                Plaintiff,
        V.                                              Case No. 88-C-447
PKWARE, INC. and
PHILLIP W. KATZ,
                                Defendants

                       DECISION AND ORDER

    The parties are each in the business of creating computer software that
maximizes the storage of information.  The plaintiff's is called "ARC,"
which is an abbreviation of the word archive; plaintiff asserts that ARC is
its trademark.  After the defendant created its own software program that
utilized the letters ARC in its name and throughout the program, the plain-
tiff, April 25, 1988, initiated a lawsuit alleging copyright infringement,
trademark infringement, and unfair competition.

    On August 1, 1988, the parties submitted for the court's approval a
document entitled, "Judgment for Plaintiff on Consent"; attached and incor-
porated by reference was a second document entitled, "Confidential Cross-
License Agreement."  The terms of the settlement agreement are set forth in
these two documents.  Upon request of the parties, these terms were incor-
porated a judgment signed by me on August 2, 1988 and entered by the clerk
on the same day.

    Currently before the court is plaintiff's motion for an order holding
the defendants in contempt for violating the court's August 2, 1988 order.
The plaintiff complains that the defendants have violated and continue to
violate the settlement agreement by promoting a new version of its software
program.  Specifically, the plaintiff points to instances in that program
where the defendant uses the letter combination ARC in its filename exten-
sions and its user's manual.  After considering the parties' briefs and
their oral arguments, I find that the defendants' actions do not violate
the order of the court.

        "[A] party may incur a legal duty by entering into a settlement
     and agreement, and a court may, pursuant to that agreement, incor-
     porate the terms of the party's obligation in its judgment; but to
     furnish support for a contempt order the judgment must set forth
     in specific detail an unequivocal command."

     H.K. Porter Co. Inc., v. National Friction Products, 569 F.2d 24,
     27 (7th Cir. 1977).

    In order to prevail, the plaintiff must prove, by clear and convincing
evidence, that the defendants violated a directive of the court.  Hayden v.
Oak Terrace Apartments, 808 F.2d 1269, 1270 (7th Cir. 1987).

    The judgment of the court in pertinent part, states:

    "It is hereby ordered and decreed that:

         "(1)  Defendants and each of them, jointly and severally, and
     any of their agents, servants any in active concert or participa-
     tion with any of them, be and hereby are enjoined permanently from
     infringing Plaintiff's copyrights in any manner, and from pub-
     lishing, licensing, selling, distributing or marketing or other-
     wise disposing of any copies of Defendants' works PKARC and
     PKXARC, except as expressly provided for otherwise in the Agree-
     ment between the parties effective as of August 1, 1988; and from
     infringing in any manner Plaintiff's trademark ARC."

    The agreement provides in part as follows:

         "4. Termination of PK's License.  After January 31, 1989, PK
     agrees not distribute or offer for license any program that: (1)
     creates ARC compatible archive files; (2) by default adds a
     filename extension of ".ARC"; or (3) processes ARC format files.

       "5. No Trademark License.  AFter the effective date of this
     Agreement, PK agrees not to distribute or offer for license any
     program that carries a trademark, tradename or filename the letter
     combination "ARC" or any other trademark, tradename or filename
     the use of which may be confusingly similar to any of SEA's
     trademarks, or the use of which may be likely to cause confusion
     or mistake or to deceive with respect to SEA's programs."

    Plaintiff alleges that defendants' use of the letters ARC as a filename
extension violates paragraph 1 of the judgment which prohibits the use of
ARC in any manner except as otherwise ex-pressly provided in the cross
licensing agreement.  Defendants counter by asserting that paragraph 4 im-
pliedly gave them permission to use such extensions until January 31, 1989.
I agree with defendants' interpretation and am persuaded that the defen-
dants' use of ARC as a filename extension does not violate a court direc-
tive.

        Plaintiff also objects to defendant's use of the letters ARC as a
root word in defendants' user's manual. (e.g. arcing, unarcing, arced,
unarced.)  Defendants assert that it uses the letters ARC in a descriptive
sense and in reference to the plaintiff's program so that defendants' cus-
tomers can compare the two programs. Further, the defendants assert that it
never anticipated that the use of ARC in the descriptive sense would be in
violation of the agreement because the parties had never discussed
prohibiting the use of the letters in such a sense during the extensive
settlement negotiations.  Since I can not point to a proscription on the
use of ARC in the descriptive sense and also because I deem Mr. Katz's tes-
timony on the issue to be credible, I find that defendants have not vio-
lated a court command.

        Therefore, IT IS ORDERED that plaintiff's motion for an order ad-
judging defendants to be in contempt be and hereby is denied.  Defendants
are entitled to costs on this motion in the amount of $500.

        Dated at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, this 31st day of October,
1988.

                        s/  Myron L. Gordon,
                            Senior U.S. District Judge
---
Bob Freed                           Internet:  raf@cup.portal.com
Newton Centre, MA                   UUCP:  ...!sun!portal!cup!raf

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 88 13:41
From: <REDDINGT%DM0MPB51.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: SIMTEL20 files in Europe

A few issues ago European users were requested to use either TRICKLE@TREARN
or TRICKLE@DKTC11. I have tried this without success using the commands
PDDIR and PDGET. These have worked fine with LISTSERV@RPICICGE.  Although I
received friendly advice from the sysop in Turkey, his suggestions did not
work when sent to the server since I was advised that the nearest server
was that in Denmark. Despite several attempts to communicate with
TRICKLE@DKTC11 I have received no replies, even to requests for help.

Has anyone succeeded in tapping these sources? I would appreciate any ad-
vice.

Thanks

Martin Reddington
REDDINGT@DM0MPB51

[If anyone does have procedures to get to the two European SIMTEL20
sources, Please send them to me at <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.Army.Mil>
as well as answering this query.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1988  12:19 MST
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Trouble connecting to Simtel20

[Brian O'Neill wrote that he has recently had trouble connecting to
Simtel20 with FTP, getting "Service Unavailable; Remote server has closed
connection".  I'm replying to the mailing list in case anyone else has had
this problem].

Brian, Simtel20 has a limited number of net ports available for FTP jobs.
Lately we've seen very heavy FTP usage.  When insufficient net posts are
available you will get a message that says the FTP connection was refused.
It's possible that your host's FTP uses "Service Unavailable" as the string
to print when that happens.

Just keep trying, as you would for a busy phone number.

--Keith

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Nov 88 08:30:04 EST
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@braggvax.arpa>
Subject: Speeding up POST

John DeCarlo recently answered an earlier query about how to speed up POST
(memory checking on cold boots).  He mentioned his recollections of a pro-
cedure where you (1) set board switches to minimum memory, and (2) ran a
software program afterwards to poke the "real" memory values into DOS/BIOS
memory.

Right .. I recently uploaded "MORERAM1.ARC to SIMTEL20.  It includes
documentation and full assembler source for a wee little program that does
exactly that.

Forgot where Keith Petersen stuck it at SIMTEL .. probably
PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>.

Snarf and try it out.
David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@braggvax.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 5 Nov 88 08:33:20 EST
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@braggvax.arpa>
Subject: TSR answers

- Kostas Antonopoulos asked how to make Turbo Pascal code resident (TSR).
I'd suggest looking in the files STAY42.ARC and STAYRES.PAS in SIMTEL20's
PD1:<MSDOS.TURBOPAS> archives.  They're an excellent example of this.

- EEMA151%MAINE.bitnet asks how do file I/O within a TSR interrupt-driven
program.  I'd suggest looking (1) in some of the PC Magazine assembler
source for NOTEPAD (aka NPAD, PAD).  These programs pop up at a hotkey, let
you take short edited notes, and/or read/write the notes to file.  (2) Look
in the LPT family of code .. full assembler source for a "redirect printer
to file" utility (many versions) that really address the problem of writing
to a file from within an interrupt procedure.

Hope this helps.
David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@braggvax.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: 10 Nov 88 17:25 +0100
From: Norbert Hanke <h14@nimbus.ethz.ch>
Subject: RS232 in MS-Fortran

Hi Netlanders,

has anyone encountered usable routines to do fast interrupt driven Com-
munications with the serial port on a IBM-PC/compatible from within a
Fortran program? Before we write our own interrupt handler in MASM (thus
re-invent the wheel) we're looking for someone who already did it. It has
to be linkable to MS-Fortran (4.1) or another MS language like MS-C.

Thanks to all!

Norbert Hanke
Inst. of Automatic Control
ETH Zurich
Switzerland

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 1988 18:27 EST
From: MICROLAB at BINGTJW
Subject: Disk partition table

Please send me any information on the IBM hard disk partition table for the
IBM PC and/or IBM XT.  Specifically, creating a non-dos partition which
would be the active partion and will boot the system.  A disassembled list-
ing would be nice if possible.

Thank you,
John F. Stone

------------------------------

Date: MON MAY 09, 1988 18.52.30
From: BDON%MCGILLB.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: multask.arc from simtel20

Does anyone have any experience with the multitasker MTS available from
Simtel20 called pd1:<msdos.sysutl>multask.arc?

This seems to be a two-task multitasker for BIOS-compatible programs only.
Despite its limitations (two tasks, fixed 70%/30% service ratio, BIOS-
compatible programs only, and various others) this 16K piece of code seems
quite usable.  I presume its overhead would be drastically lower than that
of eg. Desqview by virtue of its small size and limited functionality and
complexity, so it might be useable on even a plain-vanilla non-turbo PC for
background compilation etc.

Send any comments to me and I'll summarize...

------------------------------

Date: 3 Nov 1988 09:19-CST
From: CCSO-ALL@GUNTER-ADAM.ARPA
Subject: Interfacing 8 Inch Winchester Drive to Z-248

     We are looking for assistance from anyone knowledgeable on how to hook
up an 8-inch Winchester, Northern Telecom Model Mercury 8312-50.  We are
considering using these in place of mounting an internal 5 1/4 40 meg
drive.  Comments please on advisability of this approach would also be wel-
come.  We have access to the 8-inch at a bargain price and would save con-
siderable dollars if successful.

Thanks,
Bob

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Nov 88 18:24:16 CST
From: "David J. Camp" <david@wubios.wustl.edu>
Subject: Language Teachine Software Wanted

     Does anyone know of software that can be used for teaching foreign
languages?  I am also interested in Drill and Practice for the experienced
speaker who wishes to maintain his fluency.  I am interested in either
commercial or public domain software.  Thank you,
-David-

Mr. David J. Camp                    |
Box 8067, Biostatistics              |
Washington University Medical School |
660 South Euclid                     |
Saint Louis, MO 63110                |

Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu
uucp:     uunet!wucs1!wubios!david

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Nov 88 12:47 N
From: <EAOBIOL%EBRUPC51.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Kermit and VMS

   I'm a new user of EARN and have been trying to get some files from
TRICKLE@TREARN. I get these files in a VAX VMS node and use KERMIT to send
this files (.ARC) to a PC. Here, I attempt to extract the files from the
archive with the program PKXARC but I can't. In some cases the program out-
puts NO FILES FOUND, and in other cases, the name of the first file that it
attempts to extract is garbage.

  Any information about what's happenning and how to fix this problem will
be welcome.

        Thanks for any help in advance.

Jorge Obiol
Facultat d'Informatica de Barcelona
Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya
EAOBIOL@EBRUPC51.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 88 16:57 EST
From: Ted Nieland - SRL <@WPAFB-AAMRL.ARPA:TNIELAND@FALCON>
Subject: Schedule program?

Is anyone aware of a program that does resource scheduling for multiple
processes?  What I am looking for is a program that takes the schedules for
resouces A, B, C, ... and schedules them for processes 1, 2, 3, ... such
that only one process can have a resource at a time.  The program would
then output the schedule for each resouce and for each process.

Has anyone seen such a beast?

  M. Edward (Ted) Nieland - Systems Analyst
| US Snail:                            | Arpa Internet:                  |
| Systems Research Laboratories, Inc.  | TNIELAND@WPAFB-AAMRL.ARPA       |
| 2800 Indian Ripple Road   WP 196     | TNIELAND%FALCON@WPAFB-AAMRL.ARPA|
| Dayton, OH  45440                    |                                 |
| A T & T:  (513) 255-8846/8760/5165                                     |

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 88 14:55 CST
From: <JLS%TNTECH.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> (Joel L. Seber ... CH227)
Subject: Setup disk for INFO-286

    One of the people I support here at TTU has personally bought a system
called an INFO-286 TURBO.  It is IBM-AT compatible.  He has also bought a
hard drive to put into it, but needs a setup disk to configure his machine
to understand that a hard drive has been installed.

    Can anyone help us?  Perhaps someone has also bought this type of
machine?  The fellow in question never received a diagnostic disk or a
setup disk.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Joel L. Seber
Microcomputer Specialist
D.W. Mattson Computer Center
Tennessee Technological University
jls@tntech.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Nov 88 11:39:35 PST
From: quan@Portia.Stanford.EDU.stanford.edu (Tony Quan)
Subject: High Speed Modem Problem

I'm hoping that someone out there can help me with a modem problem I'm
having.

    I have a 2400 baud internal modem in an IBM PC clone.  Most of the
time, it works fine, but whenever the compressor on a nearby refrigerator
turns on, I get random garbage on screen whenever I use the modem.  Does
anyone know what this is, and what possible fixes are?  I'd appreciate
e-mail replies, since I don't read this group very often.  Thanks.

--Tony Quan
Internet: quan@portia.stanford.edu
Bitnet: quan%portia@stanford.bitnet
UUCP:   decwrl!portia.stanford.edu!quan

------------------------------

Date: Mon,  7 Nov 88 19:53:24 -0500 (EST)
From: John Duchowski <jd3a+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Terak -> IBM PC file transfer.

Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone out there may know of a file transfer utility,
such as Kermit, that would work on an old PDP1103 running under RT-11
operating system.  Thus far I was only able to type files to a port and to
capture them by logging the session, but being able to transfer files
directly would be preferable.

Thanks in advance for any hints and/or comments.

John Duchowski
jd3a+@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 88 22:41 EST
From: <GILL%QUCDNAST.BITNET@CORNELLC.ccs.cornell.edu>
Subject: VT200/graphics emulators

     I am looking for a VT200 emulator (i.e. that can use all of the keys
of a 101 key keyboard) that also has the capability to handle graphics,
whether REGIS or TEK 4010 .  Specifically, I would be using the emulator to
connect a PC-Clone to a microVax and use it as a smart terminal.  A KERMIT
file transfer protocol would also be useful, if not a must.  Price is not
much of an object, as long as the product is good and has good support.
Anything up to about $350 will do, since the whole point is to replace the
VT200 type terminals with something cheaper.

     I already have one such emulator, which works *BEAUTIFULLY* on my
Z-151, except that it does not support graphics.  It is called QVT23, is
public domain (I believe I got it from the SimTel20 libraries), and
designed with a DEC VAX in mind (including key designations for the EDT
editor).  I have spoken with the company about adding graphics, but they do
not feel that it is worth their time to do so.  Quite unfortunate!

     Any others out there??

Arnold Gill
Queen's University at Kingston
gill @ qucdnast.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 88 12:43:35 EST
From: cps-task@braggvax.arpa
Subject: WORDSTAR Printing Problems

We have WORDSTAR 2000 installed.  We have a Citizen MSP-15 dot matrix
printer and a JUKI 6300 daisy wheel printer.

Problem:  What is the command to direct print to the daisy wheel printer?

Thanks.
Ann
AV 236-8818/7433

[I tried sending this note to these people, but the host seems to be down.

I have WS2000 with an Epson (LPT1:) and a Diablo (COM1:).  I had to use the
"modify printer parameters" portion of the install program to change the
default port for the Diablo to COM1:.  I also had to include mode in my
autoexec.bat file so that com1: is initialized properly.  I use:
mode com1:,2400,o,7,1,p  (This sets com1: to 2,400 baud, odd parity, 7
bits, 1 stop bit, and tells DOS that a printer is connected to the port.

This should solve the 'direct to the printer' problem.  IF your printer is
connected to COM1:!  If it's not, use the install program to select the ap-
propriate port: PRN, LPT1/2/3/4, COM1/2/3/4.  The mode command is only
necessary if the printer is connected to a SERIAL port.

If the printers are ALREADY properly installed, the command to quit editing
and go directly to the printer is ^QP (or Quit, save and Print).  --gph]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Nov 1988  10:08 MST
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: CB.ARC removed from SIMTEL20 archives

> From: b-tech!zeeff at umich.cc.umich.edu (Jon Zeeff)
>
> It appears that the cb program simtel20 has is using AT&T cb source code.
> It's in <msdos.c> I believe.
>
> --
> Jon Zeeff                    Ann Arbor, MI
> umix!b-tech!zeeff            zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us

PD1:<MSDOS.C>CB.ARC has been removed from the SIMTEL20 archives.
Please check your archives to make sure this file is removed and pass
on the word to any BBS systems which may have this file.

--Keith

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1988  21:12 MST
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: MSDOS upload

New upload to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.filutl>
TOADUU17.ARC    - Fast uuencode/uudecode (ASM src) (hopefully bugs fixed)
     Replaces earlier versions of Toad Hall UUE.COM and UUD.COM.  (They had
     bugs: adding extraneous bytes to file ends, incorrect handling of very
     large binary files.)  Hopefully fixed now.  PLEASE let me know of any
     problems. These versions still are Unix-compatible' handle DOS-style
     CR/LF or Unix-style LF line endings; strip file headers and trailers;
     handle 'truncated' uuencoded lines; etc.  By the way, the original
     author of UUD (Theodore Kaldis) contacted me: he's working on a new
     and improved version ('full featured'), out perhaps after the new
     year.  I'm keeping him posted on these updates.

          David Kirschbaum
          Toad Hall
          kirsch@braggvax.ARPA

Thanks, Dave!

--Keith

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 1988  11:24 MST
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: ZOO 2.01 source files on SIMTEL20

Maurice Thaler writes:
> keith, it is a real pain that you RE-ARC'ed the ZOO source files.
> That moved the filenames to UPPERCASE which means all files have to
> be re-named to run the makefile under UNIX. Leaving them in ZOO
> format might have been more useful this time.

Good point.  The program below will solve the problem of the uppercase
filenames for those on Unix.  It automatically renames them.  This program
is great for fixing filenames after you have done a "mget" with FTP to get
multiple files from SIMTEL20.  The syntax is: xxu * to do all files in the
current directory or xxu filename for only one file.  Other combinations of
wildcards are also accepted.

[Although we don't normally publish programs in the Digest, this is too
good to pass up... gph]

--Keith

BEGIN---cut-here---XXU.C---cut-here---
/*  X X U  --  20-to-Unix filename converter  */

/*
 Change DEC-20 or VAX/VMS style filenames into normal Unix names.
 Handy for use after ftp MGETs, when you find your directory full of
 files with names like LIB:<KERMIT>CKUFIO.C.2 or FRED::[ETHEL]A.B;37
 when all you really wanted was ckufio.c and a.b.

 Usage: xxu file(s)

 Action: Renames argument files as follows:
   strips Unix path name from front (up to rightmost '/') if present
   strips DEC device:, node::name from front (up to right ':') if present
   strips DEC-20 <directory> or VMS [directory] name if present
   strips DEC-20 version from end (everything after 2nd dot) if present
   strips VMS generation number from end (everything after ';') if present
   lowercases any uppercase letters
   honors DEC-20 CTRL-V quote for special characters
   discards unquoted unprintable characters
   if result is null, file is renamed to xxfile-n, where n is a number.
   if result writes over an existing file, file renamed to xxfile-n.

 Recommended procedure: make a new directory, cd to it, then FTP files
 from DEC-20 or VMS system, then do "xxu *".

 Author:  F. da Cruz, CUCCA, July 85
*/
#include <stdio.h>
#include <ctype.h>
#include <sys/file.h>               /* For access() */

char name[500];                     /* File name buffer */
char *pp, *cp, *xp;            /* Character pointers */
char delim;                    /* Directory Delimiter */
int dc = 0, n = 0;             /* Counters */
int quote = 0, indir = 0; done = 0;      /* Flags */

main(argc,argv) int argc; char **argv; {

    if (argc < 2) {            /* Give message if no args */
     fprintf(stderr,"Usage: xxu file(s)\n");
     exit(1);
    }
    n = 0;                     /* Unfixable filename counter */
    while (--argc > 0) {       /* For all files on command line... */
     argv++;
     xp = *argv;               /* Copy pointer for simplicity */
     printf("%s ",*argv);           /* Echo name of this file */

     pp = name;                /* Point to translation buffer */
     *name = '\0';             /* Initialize buffer */
     dc = 0;                   /* Filename dot counter */
     done = 0;            /* Flag for early completion */

     for (cp = xp; (*cp != '\0') && !done; cp++) { /* Loop thru chars...*/

         if (quote) {          /* If this char quoted, */
          *pp++ = *cp;         /*  include it literally. */
          quote = 0;
         }
         else if (indir) {          /* If in directory name, */
          if (*cp == delim) indir = 0; /* look for end delimiter. */
         }
         else switch (*cp) {
          case '<':       /* Discard DEC-20 directory name */
              indir = 1;
              delim = '>';
              break;
          case '[':       /* Discard VMS directory name */
              indir = 1;
              delim = ']';
              break;
          case '/':       /* Discard Unix path name */
          case ':':            /*  or DEC dev: or node:: name */
              pp = name;
              break;
          case '.':       /* DEC -20 generation number */
              if (++dc == 1)   /* Keep first dot */
               *pp++ = *cp;
              else        /* Discard everything starting */
               done = 1;  /* with second dot. */
              break;
          case ';':       /* VMS generation or DEC-20 attrib */
              done = 1;        /* Discard everything starting with */
              break;           /* semicolon */
          case '\026':         /* Control-V quote for special chars */
              quote = 1;       /* Set flag for next time. */
              break;
          default:
              if (isupper(*cp))     /* Uppercase letter to lower-case */
               *pp++ = tolower(*cp);
              else if (isprint(*cp)) /* Other printable, just keep */
               *pp++ = *cp;
         }
     }
     *pp = '\0';               /* Done with name, terminate it */
     if (strcmp(name,xp) == 0) {    /* If no renaming necessary, */
         printf("(ok)\n");          /*  just give message. */
         continue;
        }
     while (*name == '\0' || access(name,0) == 0) { /* Find unique name */
         sprintf(name,"xxfile-%d",n++);
     }
     printf("=> %s ",name);         /* Tell what new name will be */
     if (rename(xp,name) == 0)      /* Try to rename it */
         printf("(ok)\n");          /* Say what happened */
     else
         perror("failed");
    }
    exit(0);                   /* Done. */
}
END---cut-here---END---cut-here---

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 1988  01:20 MST
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: ZOO 2.01 VAX/UNIX/MSDOS sources uploaded to SIMTEL20

A new directory PD1:<MSDOS.ZOO> has been created on SIMTEL20, all ZOO-
related files moved to it, and the following new files added:

MSSUP201.ARC  - MSDOS support files for ZOO 2.01 source
Z201SRC1.ARC  - ZOO 2.01 archiver source (part 1 of 2)
Z201SRC2.ARC  - ZOO 2.01 archiver source (part 2 of 2)

Here is an excerpt from author Rahul Dhesi's README.NOW file:

I am distributing the source for zoo 2.01 in three archives.  Z201SRC1 and
Z201SRC2 together contain all the source files necessary to compile zoo
2.01 under VAX/VMS and several flavors of UNIX.  (Note that the files in
these two archives contain lines terminated with linefeeds only.  You will
need to do newline conversions before using them under MS-DOS.)  In addi-
tion MSSUP201 contains the support files needed to compile zoo 2.01 under
MS-DOS with either Microsoft C 3.0 or Turbo C 1.0.  Note that versions of
Turbo C later than 1.0 use different function prototypes (in a valiant at-
tempt to track changes in the ANSI C standard), so you may with to undefine
LINT_ARGS to make Turbo C stop complaining.

-----end excerpt-----

These files were originally distributed as ZOO archives but because we
have no working ZOO program with which to check/read/extract the files
I converted them to ARCs before uploading to SIMTEL20.

Here is a directory/crc list of the files currently in the new ZOO
directory:

Filename   Type   Bytes      CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.ZOO>
ATOZ112.ARC     BINARY      21148  3F01H <--convert ARC/LBR files to ZOO
LOOZ210.ARC     BINARY      13856  1CA9H <--ZOO extract/execute
MSSUP201.ARC    BINARY      25905  7B8BH
Z201SRC1.ARC    BINARY     111831  2884H
Z201SRC2.ARC    BINARY     122083  61BEH
ZOO201.ARC      BINARY      79033  5046H <--MSDOS ZOO 2.01 executables

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the CP/M & MSDOS archives
Arpa: W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL
Uucp:{ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!
                   ...wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------