Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (11/20/88)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sat, 19 Nov 88       Volume 7 : Issue  54

Today's Topics:
                            Typewriter/Printers
                           120 Meg floppy drives
                     AT Memory & Maximal Floppy Usage
               Finding the beginning of the DOS memory chain
          Review on DISK Manager-N and Miniscribe 6128 Hard Disk
               Keeping up with whats new in MSDOS collection
                   Salient Difference (DOS 3.2/3.21/3.3)
Today's Queries:
                        WORDSTAR Printing Problems
             Downloading ARC files using 3270-plus and kermit
                         Apple joysticks on an IBM
            DOD Zenith Contract(248) - New Daisy Wheel Printer
                              Kermit for OS/2
                           Computer Utilization
                          Oversized key beyboards
             Sharp PC-7000 [IBM-AT Compatible] and Networking
                       Directory "cacheing" problem
                         TOPS and memory shortage
New programs:
                            Archive Maintenance
                              ARC531.EXE bugs
                         Bugs in ARC530 and ARC531
         Kermit keypad setup for VAX/EDT update to Kermit scripts
           Quick reference list to SIMTEL20's MSDOS directories
                            xxu program update
                             Public domain edt
                           SBTeX for MS-DOS PCs

Date: 15 Nov 88   15:08 LCL
From: "James H. Foggin" <PA44908%UTKVM1.BITNET@CORNELLC.CCS.CORNELL.EDU>
Subject: Typewriter/Printers

Thanks for your response to my query on this.  I'll look into the Diablo
1630.  Of course, one of my concerns is the price.  The level of use I
will give it precludes an expensive machine.

You mentioned that you had used it aboard ship, and from that I assume
that you are in or attached to the Navy.  I rode a destroyer for several
years MANY years ago, and have some idea of the beating that equipment
(particularly electronic) can take.  It sounds as though it is good
machine.

Jim Foggin
Marketing, Logistics and Transportation Department
College of Business Administration
University of Tennessee, Knoxville

[This message is in response to a query Mr. Foggin had on typewriters and
printers.  I mentioned I had a Diablo 630 printer since early '81, had it
aboard a destroyer I was assigned to for two years, had used a 1630 (same
printing mechanism but with keyboard), and had it aboard the destroyer as
well, and have not one maintenance problem with it in all the time I have
used it.  (Whoops! I did have it cleaned and oiled once two years ago...
the case was fairly dirty.)  Pointed out cost then (about $3,200) and now
(about $600-$900).  The printer is definitely not the fastest (My Epson is
faster in draft mode.) but, as you would expect, the quality of print is
excellent.   Use it daily.

Disclaimer:  Just another satisified user.  If anyone has any preferences
on a good quality typewriter/printer, please forward to both of us.  I'll
summarize for the Digest.  --gph]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 88 18:19 EST
From: V058NMBP@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu
Subject: 120 Meg floppy drives

>A normal 5-1/4 inch floppy drive has a circumferential density of
>approximately 5500 flux reversals/inch on the inside track, and a radial
>density of 48 tracks/inch.  Similarly, a high density 5-1/4 inch floppy
>has a circumferential density about 9600 flux reversals/inch on the inside
>track,  and a radial density of 96 tracks/inch.  Thus the circumferential
>density appears to be about a factor of 100 (one hundred) above the radial
>density, and it means that 99 PERCENT of the potential space on a floppy
>disk gets wasted between the tracks. Surely the manufacturers of floppy
>disk drives must be able to utilize the remaining 99 percent of the radial
>capacity.  This could lead to 40 megabytes on a regular floppy, and 120
>megabytes on a high-coercivity (so-called IBM-PC/AT) floppy disk, without
>changing the media at all.
>
>ps: Computer tape had a similar problem with a very low information
>density because of the nine tracks.  Now Video Tape technology has solved
>that problem, and the density at right angles to the tape is approximately
>the same as the density along the tape.  This is a challenge to you
>engineers, I want my 120 megabytes on a standard IBM-PC/AT floppy disk...

   There are a few inherent limitations which prevent such a high track
density as you desire.

   (1) The read/write head must be of a minimum width to allow the core
'gap' to be of sufficient size for the recording bandwidth.  Hard disc
drives can have smaller heads because the media spins at least 10 times
faster than a floppy, and that is possible because there is no direct
head/media contact.  Faster media give more bandwidth to work with.

   (2) Modern positioning mechanisms for direct media/head contact type
drives (i.e. floppy drives) also have a finite resolution.  96 TPI is VERY
good considering the price of these floppy drives.  State of the art has
given us 135 TPI in the new 3.5" drives.  More is not impossible, just
terribly cost ineffective.  Hard disc technology is more practical and
cheaper.

   (3) Last but not least is demand.  Who would want a 120 Meg drive that
takes almost as long as a tape drive to access the data and costs $10,000?
Better to get a Bernoulli Box.

   Video recorders get away with high width/length density ratios because
the heads are made to spin at an angle to the direction of tape movement.
That does not lend itself easily to circular media.

   Also, I don't know how long you've been in the microcomputer world.
But I remember when we used to pay $1000 for a SSSD 5.25 floppy disk
subsystem which gave us a whopping 82K of online storage...  I'll take a
$150 1.2Meg setup over that anyday!

                                                 Amardeep S. Chana
                                                 V058NMBP@UBVMS.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Nov 88 23:06:30 EST
From: simon@E.MS.UKY.EDU
Subject: AT Memory & Maximal Floppy Usage

This is a reply to two articles in the last journal:

(1) Many people have been asking about a possibly 'wasted' area of RAM in
the PC.  If you buy a computer with 1 meg of RAM, or install 1 meg when
you build one, you are getting 1 meg of usable RAM.  The PC splits the
installed ramchips around the 640k-1024k block.

Video bitmaps and text screens are mapped into the 640k-1024k block.  ROM
BIOS and ROM BASIC (true blue), as well as the power on self-tests (POST)
are stored in this area.  Disk and Ega bios sometimes are put here.  LIM
EMS page frames are mapped into the same place.   There is some room for
RAM, but it is neither there nor used by dos.

Any RAM in excess of 640k is placed starting at 1024k and up.  This RAM is
called EXTENDED RAM.  EXPANDED RAM is implemented with EMS, and pages of
EMS ram are swapped in and out of the page frames, which are usually
located between 640k and 1024k.

(2) Super-High Capacity Floppies: A floppy diskette consists of a set of
tracks, each having a certain number of sectors.  A 360k dos floppy has 2
sides, 40 tracks per side, and 9 sectors/track, 512 bytes per sector
(2*40*9*512 = 360k).  This is 4.5k per track, but only 40 tracks across or
80 on a HD 1.2meg.

The reason for the low number of tracks is that the r/w head in the drive
must stay aligned with the track it is reading, and with 80 tracks across
a 1" or so opening, we're doing fair.  The 3.5" disks do much better
because they are more rigid.

I recently read in Byte or PC Tech that a new drive is soon to be
available: a 20meg floppy drive.  The drive has an incredible number of
tracks, it stays aligned by using a cheap laser tracking system.  Disks
are from Kodak, expected to be about $50 per disk.  The drive itself is
expected to be around the same price as a st225 hd ~ $300.

I don't have the mag handy, but if anyone is interested, I'll dig it out.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Nov 88 10:01:29 PST
From: Jim Anderson <jta@bilbo.LOCUS>
Subject: Finding the beginning of the DOS memory chain

The undocumented DOS function 52H returns a pointer to some DOS internal
variables (often called invars) in ES:BX.  At offset -2 from this pointer
is a word that contains the segment of the first memory allocation arena.
I know this works for 3.1 through 3.3.  I think it works for all DOS from
2.1 on.

     mov   ah,52h
     int   21h
     mov   dx,es:[bx-2]    ;segment of first mcb to dx

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Nov 88 22:40:15 -0800
From: rtobin@ICS.UCI.EDU
Subject: Review on DISK Manager-N and Miniscribe 6128 Hard Disk

I have used a product called Disk Manager-N from Ontrack computer to
install a non-standard hard disk into a Novell file server.  The product
worked very well.  It enabled me to use a high capacity RLL drive in a
true-blue IBM AT as a Netware 2.0a volume.  The drive, a Miniscribe 6128
is also performing well.  I choose the drive after a bit of research.
$945 for 110 MB.

The Disk Manager-N installation shouldn't be too hard for people familar
with Netware volume installations.  It takes about 1 day.  Again, thumbs
up on both of these products.

No connection with the companies, just a satisfied consumer.

Roy Tobin

------------------------------

Date: 14 Nov 88 15:47:33 GMT
From: crdos1!davidsen@uunet.UU.NET (bill davidsen)
Subject: Keeping up with whats new in MSDOS collection

In Info-IBMPC Digest V7 #49:

| Date: Sun, 23 Oct 1988  08:35 MDT
| From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
| Subject: Keeping up with whats new in MSDOS collection
|
| John, PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX is updated on a daily (sometimes several
| times a day when a lot of new files are added) basis.  It is a
| comma-delimited file, without descriptions, suitable for importing
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| into PC-File+ or dBASEIII.

Keith, I have to agree with John. A list without description is of limited
usefulness. I can't keep up with all the messages about files, I can't
index them myself "in case I ever need a program to do that," an index
with a few words of description would be really useful.

I generally use the archive when someone says "I need a program to do...,
is there one on SIMTEL?" That's when the total description would be
useful.

Don't misunderstand, what's there is priceless, but more useful for
finding a given file by name than the name of a useful file by
description.

--
     bill davidsen        (wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 88 03:47:08 EST
From: boyd@braggvax.arpa
Subject: Salient Difference (DOS 3.2/3.21/3.3)

Numerous "getting smarter everyday" USERS are beating my staff up
frequently to explain the EXACT differences in the most recent versions of
MS-DOS.  The history/facts of 1.x => 2.x => 3.0/1/2 are generally well
known, but the EXACT significant differences of the above versions are
not.  Any help appreciated....

|My vast investment in books over 6 months old is beginning to worry me....

Thanks,
Joe Boyd
boyd@braggvax.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Nov 88 02:08:54 MST
From: Gregory Hicks <GHICKS@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: WORDSTAR Printing Problems
To: cps-task@braggvax.arpa

A. What version of Wordstar do you use?  Wordstar 2000 V3 claims to support
over 500 printers and includes lasers.  I know it supports the six printers
at my site.

b. The way you do it is define two printers...  Pick the one you want as
your default printer to install last.  Give the printer definition files
unique names...  (ie: CITIZEN and JUKI) Do some formats (the .frm files)
for the Juki and some for the Citizen...  That way, when you edit a file
and pick a format, when it comes time to print the file, the program will
default to the appropriate printer.  You'll probably need to install the
ports for each printer.  I have an EPSON and a DIABLO.  one printer is
called EPSON and the other is DIABLO...  Epson goes to LPT1: and Diablo
goes to COM1:  ...  Use the WS2INS program to do this...  Just before you
save, you'll see a series of choices.  Pick the one that allows you to re-
program printer extras  (or some such thing...)

When it comes time to finish editing and save the file, type ^QP (for quit
and print).  If your format file defined the proper printer, accept the
printing defaults.  If you formatted for the Juki and want to print on the
Citizen, don't accept the default (answer the question "No") and choose the
proper printer.

Good luck.  I thought it was quite easy.  The WordStar 2000 Reference
book, Appendix C, pg 691-692 go over this in detail.  As a matter of fact,
pg 688-702 cover printers in great detail...

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

Disclaimer:  No, I'm not connected with MicroPro.  I'm just a satisfied
(mostly) user.  There are some quirks with the program I don't like, but
on the whole, it's good, works well, and I've been using one version or
another since early '84.  It's not the only one I use, but ... --gph]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Nov 88 20:18:29 CET
From:    Christoph H. Hochstaetter +49 06421/14618 HOCHSTAE@DMRHRZ11.BITNET
Subject: Downloading ARC files using 3270-plus and kermit

>from: Jans Andries <WBEVENN@HDETUD1.BITNET>

Dear Jans,

I had the same problems with Kermit as you have. This is because Kermit
does an automatic EBCDIC to ASCII Conversion to all files. You can set
your host Kermit to Binary Files, but not MS-Kermit. If you want to
transfer files with Kermit, you to use UUENCODED Files. This can be done
by using the option UUE with Trickle Servers (e.g.: Tell Trickle at Hearn
/pdget <msdos.arc-lbr> idc20.arc (UUE)) Programs to UUDECODE Files are
available on most Trickle- Servers in various languages (Source-Code).
When you request Source-Code files they did not need to be sent UUENCODED.
Also available on Trickle Servers or on Listservs is the Program ARCUTIL,
which UUDECODES your files on your host.

Another possibility is to use PIBTERM instead of KERMIT. PIBTERM has a
binary option for KERMIT File-Transfers. PIBTERM is available on Trickle
Servers or other SIMTEL20 access Servers under <msdos.pibterm>. With
PIBTERM you can re- ceive binary files directly, which saves you much
time.

At last two little hints. Try also TRICKLE@TREARN, TRICKLE@AWIWUW11,
TRICKLE@BANUFS11 and TRICKLE@IMIPOLI. For directory requests I recommend
LISTSERV@ NDSUVM1, which supports a full Directory with the commands:

             Tell Listserv at Ndsuvm1 /pddir pd:<msdos.*>*.* 9999
             Tell Listserv at Ndsuvm1 /pddir pd:<misc.*>*.* 9999

Another advantage is, that these Directory Listings include information,
whether the file is ASCII or Binary.

Christoph H. Hochstaetter <HOCHSTAE@DMRHRZ11.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Nov 88 16:53 EST
From: Jeff Siegel <JASIEGEL%AMHERST.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Apple joysticks on an IBM

I have joysticks and paddles for an Apple II+ and am hoping that there is
a simple way of connecting them to an IBM PC clone.  They joysticks have
the old 16 pin connectors, and I have a game controller card on my PC with
a (I suppose) standard 25 pin connectors.

Is it a simple task involving only rewiring, or is the basic mechanism in
an Apple joystick different from one for a PC (and if this is the case,
can it be remedied by connecting resistors in appropriate places)?  Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff Siegel
JASIEGEL@AMHERST (on bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 88 20:20:13 EST
From: boyd@braggvax.arpa
Subject: DOD Zenith Contract(248) - New Daisy Wheel Printer

Questions for anyone who has bought or researched the item:

 - Does it have a PARALLEL or SERIAL interface for the PC
 - What type of PRINTWHEELS does the printer use?
   (Model type is supposedly a PRIMAGE 90 Daisygrapher, I think!)
   [I thought it was a Diablo 630... gph]
 - Has anyone tried it, does it perform as advertised, would you recommend
   it?
 - Does it REALLY do both GRAPHICS and also is a DAISYWHEEL?
 - Does it have "downloadable fonts" and/or various printwheels types for
   foreign languages/OCR-A, etc.....?
 - Any help/suggestions/comments appreciated.....

------------------------------

Date:     Wed, 16 Nov 88 11:22:06 EST
From:     Dennis Caffi <CAFFI%UMDD.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject:  Kermit for OS/2

  I've seen mentioned a few times. If it does exist, how
can I get a copy of it. Thanks in advance for the help.

Dennis Caffi
Computer Systems Analyst
Prince George's County Public Schools, Md.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 88 03:46:06 EST
From: boyd@braggvax.arpa
Subject: Computer Utilization

Please don't BEAT me! Need to institute a comprehensive computer system
utilization tracking system for over 150 AT-compatible machines (Z248s)
and several other types of IBM-clones. Am urgently looking for a PASSIVE
utilization tracking software application that will permit the documenta-
tion of the "computer time" and "application usage" on a large number of
machines. Many of the systems within our organization are strongly
suspected of gross (and I mean GROSS) non-use, all user surveys/questions
are answered as if the computer unlocks the office, sweeps up at night,
and keeps a vigilant watch over everything in sight when humans are not
present! HOWEVER, many users are going without any automation support due
to financial limits and "prove we are REALLY using what we have before we
buy anymore...." dogma.

Any tools/applications/tips/tricks/suggestions that minimize the impact on
the user and at least prevent CHEATING by the novice would be appreciated.

Have looked at the LOG3.arc program, but it requires diligent input by the
user (who just may fill in trash) and a few others of the same general
type.

When systems are more equitably distributed, the "policing" policy will
almost certainly die... In the interim, I sure hate to commit scarce pro-
gramming resources to inventing the wheel if it is already out here.
Would appreciate direct DDN responses to boyd@braggvax.arpa and promise to
keep contributors names anonymous if they so desire.

|Who said 1984 was over anyway? ....

Thanks,
Joe Boyd

-----------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Nov 88 12:14 CST
From: David Stever <STEVER%sp.unisys.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Oversized key beyboards

for a handicapped friend- does anyone out there know of a keyboard on the
marketwith oversized keys?  What is the name of the macro program that
allows one to sequentially hit the control key followed by the second half
of the control key sequence?  I assume that it's in the Simtel20
archives...  Any aid that can be passed along to me would be greatly
appreciated!

David Stever
Unisys Corp.
Eagan, Minnesota
Stever@SP.Unisys.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Nov 88 13:37 EST
From: <HRL%PSUARCH.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Sharp PC-7000 [IBM-AT Compatible] and Networking

If anyone has a Sharp PC-7000, or if anyone knows of anyone who has a
Sharp PC-7000, then please contact me for networking.

Thanks.  Howard

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 88 23:56 EST
From: "Jacques Beland" <BELANDJ%TrentU.CA@CORNELLC.CCS.CORNELL.EDU>
Subject: Directory "cacheing" problem?

    Recently I ran across a "feature" on an 386 machine (running DOS 3.3),
then on an AT-class machine, that they seem to be "cacheing" the directory
of the floppy drive?!

    Here is what happened: I put a disk into the floppy drive (a 3.5" to
be more specific), did a directory, replace with a different disk, did
another DIR command. The drive light DID NOT come on, and I got the
directory listing of the previous disk. However, if I do the DIR of a
different drive, come back to the 3.5" drive, I get the DIR of the current
disk.

    I have heard this being talked about before, but can't recall the
reason nor the solution for this behaviour. Can someone please jog my
memory a little? I know doing a ctrl-c after putting in the new disk will
"inform" DOS about a new disk, but is there a patch or something I can do?
Or is this a hardware related problem?

Thanks for your help/info in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Nov 88 12:55 EST
From: MAJ David McGuffey <McGuffey@DOCKMASTER.ARPA>
Subject: TOPS and memory shortage

   At a recent meeting of the Columbia-Baltimore PC User's Group, someone
presented a problem and wanted to know if there is a solution available.

The Problem:  Running an AT with 640k of memory and TOPS which is
connected to an Apple Talk network (gateway?)  [he is the only IBM in a
basket full of apples].  With TOPS running on the AT, there isn't enough
memory to do any real work (he wants to run Wordstar 2000 and some other
substantitive programs).  His question was:  "is there a way to add more
memory to the AT (extended or expanded) and run TOPS outside of the main
640k?  If not, could Wordstar 2000 be moved to and run from the additional
memory?"

Please respond to me directly and I'll summarize for the digest; if more
info is needed about his configuration, please call him (Pete Ekstrand
301-997-8982).

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Nov 1988  22:53 MST
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Archives

Les Brown writes:
>   Going through the directory listing I seem to have found some duplicte
>files or files in the wrong location.  They are listed below:
>ARC-LBR   PKX-243.arc  replaced by PKX-253.ARC
          [File deleted.]

>          SEZ230.ARC  should be moved to ZOO sub-directory
          [File moved.]

>DATABASE  HBMS314.arc is in the PC-BLUE library
          [File deleted.]

>DESQVIEW  QWIK42.ARC should be placed in the turbo-pascal
>          sub-directory
          [File moved.]

>DIRUTL    FF206.ARC has been replaced by a newer version
          [File deleted.]

>         FREE2.ARC and FREE13.ARC may be different versions of the
>          same program
          [These are not the same.  Different authors.]

>         SAP300.ARC has been replaced by a newer version of SAP
          [File deleted.]

>DSKUTL   MSTRKY17.ARC  has been replaced by PMK-21A.ARC located in
>          SYSUTL
          [File deleted.]

>   This should help a little with the archives.

Yes indeed!  Thanks.

--Keith

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Nov 1988  14:47 MST
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: ARC531.EXE bugs

I received a report today that ARC531.EXE causes error messages claiming
"damaged FAT" when one adds more than 45 files to an archive.  The report
was given to Thom Henderson on his phone answering machine by the person
who found it (not me).

Suggest ARC530/531.EXE be withdrawn from public distribution on any BBS's
that carry it until we get further news on this.  530 did have some
problems which is why there is a 531, of course.  :-)

--Keith

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Nov 1988  22:07 MST
From: Gregory Hicks <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>
Subject: Bugs in ARC530 and ARC531

 SEA has just released ARC532.  It's available on their BBS, and this is
where these messages came from.  Toss all your copies of 530/531.
----------
Msg#: 2683 *SEABOARD*
Date: 11/07/88 21:05:42
From: BOB ZIMMERMAN
To:   SYSOP (Rcvd)
Subj: ARC PROGRAMS

the following message was found on a chicago area bbs. I thought you
should be aware of it....
----------
To:  ALL                       Rcvd: -NO-
Re:  ARC V 5.30 WARNING !!

ARC version 5.30 has now been released by SEA.

In my preliminary evaluation of the programs, I fed it 999,996 bytes of
EXE and COM code in 53 files.  ARC merrily added 29 of the files and
terminated without reporting an error.  I then fed it 1,000,032 bytes of
DOC files (65), and it added 37 of them and finished without reporting an
error.  ARC v 5.30 is dangerous.  It is unable to identify that it has
failed to properly add all of the source files.

Included in the package is a new 'quick' archiver named QARC v 1.00.  QARC
correctly handled all of the above files.  It compresses to nearly identi-
cal archives with PKPAK 3.61 in nearly identical times.  Many of the be-
haviors of QARC are suspiciously similar to PKARC v 3.60.

Again, ARC v 5.30 is flawed, be careful of it.
----------
Msg#: 2686 *SEABOARD*
Date: 11/08/88 14:05:23
From: TOM BOCCHINO
To:   THOM HENDERSON
Subj: ARC 530

I was just about to send a message net mail to let you know I had some
problems with the ARC -c command killing the files that were already in
archive, glad you found it already.  Nothing lost on my end, I was just
playing with it.   Thanks
----------
Msg#: 2688 *SEABOARD*
Date: 11/10/88 22:05:34
From: AL VREELAND
To:   SYSOP (Rcvd)
Subj: ARC531

I am not a person to throw gas on the fire, but I was disappointed today
when I downloaded ARC531.  I have suspected that PKARC was subtly corrupt-
ing my files, and I wanted to go back to the 'original'. Right or wrong, I
began re-arcing my files this afternoon, and I got a surprise!  I have an
ARC of about 100 small files, and when I tried to ARC them up with ARC531,
it simply stopped after 20 or 30.  I couldn't find any wildcard combo to
make it work.

  Al Vreeland

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Nov 1988  21:08 MST
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Kermit keypad setup for VAX/EDT update to Kermit scripts

Now available via standard anonymous FTP from SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.modem>KER_SCP3.ARC - Useful Kermit (v2.29 or above) script files

Files include:
   Scripts to log on to a Unix VAX host and two common BBS's (TCOMM, ROS)

   A typical initialization file (MSKERMIT.INI) to set baud, port, function
   key macros, command macros, etc.

   An extract from the Kermit user's manual specifically discussing
   scripts.

   A script for redefining the keys for use with EMACS.

Other Kermit users are encouraged to contribute scripts that help ease
THEIR communications.  Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL> will
collate and incorporate them in this archive.  (So send them to HIM,
not to me!)

       David Kirschbaum
       Toad Hall
       kirsch@braggvax.ARPA

Update: Nov 12, 1988

From: Larry Granroth <GRANROTH@IOWA.PHYSICS.UIOWA.EDU>
Re:   Kermit keypad setup for VAX/EDT

I use the following MSKERMIT key definitions on an XT clone to connect to
a VAX.

1) VT102.DOC provides a VAX EDT editor keypad map for my particlular
keyboard.

2) MSKERMIT.INI is the initialization file I use.  Once in Kermit, the
command DO EDT will load the EDT keypad map and the command DO WS will
allow me to use most WordStar cursor movement commands (except ^S of
course) while in EDT.

3) VT102.KEY contains the EDT-compatible key mapping.  Note that the
original Kermit local page scrolling can still be used by pressing
ALT-CTRL along with PgUp, etc.

4) WS.KEY contains the WordStar cursor movement enhancements for use with
EDT.

[Thanks, Larry.  These files have been added as VAX-EDT.ARC inside the
main archive.  -- Keith]

[The ARC filename will change in the number field when new files are added.
Keith Petersen]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Nov 1988 22:24 MST
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Quick reference list to SIMTEL20's MSDOS directories

Quick reference list of SIMTEL20's PD1:<MSDOS.x> directories
as of November 15, 1988 (where 'x' is one of the names below):

APL           DIRUTL        KA9Q-TCPIP    PCMAG         SYSUTL
ARC-LBR       DISASM        KEYBOARD      PCMAIL        TELIX
ARCNET-PCIP   DSKUTL        LAN           PCPURSUIT     TELNET
ASMUTL        EDITOR        LAPTOP        PCRESOURCE    TEX
AT            EDUCATION     LISP          PCTECH        TROJAN-PRO
AUTOCAD       EEL           LOTUS123      PIBTERM       TURBO-C
BASIC         EGA           MAC           PILOT         TURBOBAS
BBS           EMULATORS     MAPPING       PLOT          TURBOPAS
BBSLISTS      FIDO          MATH          PREPROCESS    TXTUTL
BIBLE         FILEDOCS      MAX           PRINTER       UUCP
C             FILUTL        MEMACS        PROCOMM       VGA
CAD           FLOWCHART     MENU          PROLOG        VOICE
CALCULATOR    FORMGEN       MODEM         QBASIC        WINDOWS
CATALOG       FORTH         MODULA2       QMODEM        WORLDMAP
CIS           FORTRAN       MOUSE         RBBS-PC       X-10
COMPATIBLES   FREEMACS      MSWINDOWS     SCREEN        XLISP
COMPUTE-PC    GAMES         MUSIC         SMALL-C       XPC
CROSSASM      GENIE         NETWORK       SMALLTALK     ZMODEM
CROSSREF      GIF           OPUS          SNOBOL4       ZOO
DATABASE      GRAPH         PACKET        SPREADSHEET
DESKACCESS    GRAPHICS      PASCAL        SQ-USQ
DESKPUB       HAMRADIO      PC-JR         STARTER
DESQVIEW      HYPERTEXT     PCIP          SURFMODL

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the CP/M & MSDOS archives at WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL
[26.0.0.74]
DDN: W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-
simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Nov 1988  14:15 MST
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: xxu program update

Bill, thanks for the update on the "xxu" program.  I have forwarded it to
Info-Kermit for their archives (which is where it originally came from)
and it will be added to our pd2:<unix-c> archives by David Curry who
manages that collection.

Thanks!
--Keith

I was looking at the "xxu" program you posted recently, and I added a few
changes for SysV and Xenix. I also changed the logic to turn blanks into
underscores rather than keep or delete them. I could probably find the
info on ftp upload, but this is small enough to mail and I have to ftp via
another machine anyway.

I don't have problems with my ftp names, but I do get programs which
create really bad filenames at times. This is an easy way to clear them
out.

------------------------------

Date: Fri 11 Nov 88 16:27:50-PST
From: Ted Shapin <BEC.SHAPIN%ECLA@ECLC.USC.EDU>
Subject: Public domain edt

At the last U.S. DECUS meeting, the PC Sig distributed a disk that had a
public domain EDT-like editor on it called SEDT.  The file is too big to
upload (>300000 in an .ARC file) and doesn't contain source.  But here is
the README file that came with it and info on how to obtain a copy.

Ted.
- - - -
Sedt Editor, Freeware Program, Author: Anker Berg-Sonne

    Sedt is a text editor for the IBM PC and compatibles running DOS or
OS/2, DEC Rainbow, ATARI ST, VAX/VMS and VAX/ULTRIX.

   Because of potential conflict  of interest with my employer I have made
Sedt available at no charge for any use. It may freely be distributed by
making copies or any other form of distribution.  For Digital computer
systems it will be made available through the DECUS library. If you would
like the latest version directly from the author mail $25, to cover media,
postage and packaging, to Anker Berg-Sonne, 8 Middlemost Way, Stow, MA
01775, U.S.A.. Distribution will be on 3 1/2" disks for the ATARI ST and 5
1/4" disks for all other systems.  Please specify the density of the
media.

    Please mail your thoughts to me at my home address.  8 Middlemost Way,
Stow, MA 01775.  I can also be reached though EASYPLEX on Compuserve
user id 72337,3211.

    Development is done in my spare time and without financial compensation
of any sort. The primary limitation is availability of equipment. If you
really enjoy using Sedt and want to see further enhancements and support
of new hardware a contribution will be greatly appreciated.  Contributions
are entirely voluntary.

   For installation instructions read SEDT.DOC and for complete
documentation read SEDTMAN.EDT.

    I hope you will enjoy the product.

Anker Berg-Sonne

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 88 13:37 EST
From: "James A. O'Brien (203) 432-4382" <OBRIEN%OBRIEN@Venus.YCC.Yale.Edu>
Subject: SBTeX for MS-DOS PCs

A public domain implementation of TeX V2.93 is now available for anonymous
FTP from VENUS.YCC.YALE.EDU.  The file is in the default directory on
login and is called SBTEX.ARC.  It was archived using PKPAK V3.61.  The
archive is 326 kbytes in size.

This implementation was developed by Wayne G. Sulllivan of the Department
of Mathematics at University College Dublin in Ireland using Turbo Pascal
V4.0.  The archive contains enough to build a working PLAIN TeX on any
MS-DOS PC with at least 512k of memory (although 640k or more is much
better e.g.  DEC Rainbows have 896k).  Included are TEX.EXE, INITEX.EXE,
the PLAIN format, and TFMs for the 16 basic CM fonts in the PLAIN format.
Full details on installation are contained in SBTEX.DOC in the archive,
and an INSTAL.BAT file is provided.

SBTeX has already gone through extensive testing both at UCD and at Yale,
and is believed to be relatively bug-free.  It has been verified to run on
PC hardware as well as on a DEC Rainbow.  It should run on any 80x86/8
processor machine which runs MS-DOS.  Reports of any bugs should be
addressed to the author, Wayne G. Sullivan, WSULIVAN@IRLEARN.BITNET (note
only one "L" in the ID).

Jim O'Brien
Department of Chemical Engineering
Yale University
OBRIEN%OBRIEN@YALEVMS             BITNET
OBRIEN%OBRIEN@VENUS.YCC.YALE.EDU   Internet

------------------------------

************************
End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------

Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (11/20/88)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sat, 19 Nov 88       Volume 7 : Issue  54A

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 88 18:19 EST
From: V058NMBP@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu

Date: 14 Nov 88 15:47:33 GMT
From: crdos1!davidsen@uunet.UU.NET (bill davidsen)

In Info-IBMPC Digest V7 #49:

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 88 03:47:08 EST
From: boyd@braggvax.arpa

Date: Tue, 15 Nov 88 20:18:29 CET
From:    Christoph H. Hochstaetter +49 06421/14618 HOCHSTAE@DMRHRZ11.BITNET

Date:     Wed, 16 Nov 88 11:22:06 EST
From:     Dennis Caffi <CAFFI%UMDD.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>

  I've seen mentioned a few times. If it does exist, how
can I get a copy of it. Thanks in advance for the help.

Dennis Caffi
Computer Systems Analyst
Prince George's County Public Schools, Md.

------------------------------

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------

Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (11/20/88)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sat, 19 Nov 88       Volume 7 : Issue  54B

Today's Queries:

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 88 03:46:06 EST
From: boyd@braggvax.arpa

Date: Tue, 15 Nov 1988  22:53 MST