Date: Fri, 02 Dec 88 16:07:50 CET
From: HOCHSTAE%DMRHRZ11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: ARCUTIL with archive creating support

We are looking for a Program similar to the VM/CMS ARCUTIL, that handles
ARC-Files under CMS. ARCUTIL can unpack ARC Files only.  If someone knows
about the existence of such a utility, please answer. I think it would be
great, if we could use the same compression method on PC's and hosts.
File-Transfering (e.g. with SIMTEL20) would be much easier.

There is also something, which many users of ARCUTIL do not know.  There
is an update available at LISTSERV@RPICICGE.BITNET. Pass the following
command to the LISTSERVER: INDEX PCSERV-L. It allows ARCUTIL to handle
also squashed Files, which are used by PKARC. Since most users prefer
PKARC over the SEA ARC, this is already an advantage.

Christoph H. Hochstaetter <HOCHSTAE@DMRHRZ11.BITNET>
Philipps-University of Marburg

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Dec 88 13:42:18 CST
From: david@wubios.WUstl.EDU (David J. Camp)
Subject: CPU usage

Boyd@braggvax.apra requested info on justification/discussion for buying
new computers when the old ones remain idle for long periods of time.
Here goes:

     CPU's are cheap and getting cheaper.  Most of what you pay for in a
new machine is the peripherals.  If you want more MS-Dos capability, but
want it to be fully utilized, consider the NCR companies products.  They
incorporate some fast 80386 cpu's configured for multiple users.  Thus you
will get more use out of a single system because it is shared.  You still
must provide some kind of keyboard/crt for each workstation, but if you
are intent on being stingy :-) they could be shared.

     Most analyis I have heard suggest that the salary of the user
justifies the speed and capabilities of his tools.

-David-

Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wucs1!wubios!david          v      660 South Euclid
Washington University Medical School               Saint Louis, MO 63110

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Dec 88 18:59 UT+1
From: Erik Huizer - SURFnet +31 30 310290 <HUIZER@HUTSUR51.BITNET>
Subject: Wanted: HP 2393A terminal emulator

Hi there,

I am looking for a Hewlett Packard 2393A graphics terminal emulator, so I
can do some of my work at home. Does anybody out there know if such an
emulator exists (PD or commercial) and where I can get it?

I have an ordinary clone, with a Hercules Graphics card.

Please reply to me personally, as I am not on this list.

Thanks for the trouble,

Erik Huizer
E-mail: Huizer@hutsur51.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Dec 88 07:37:49 -0500
From: (Marshall D. Abrams) <abrams%smiley@gateway.mitre.org>
Subject: Need full-featured nroff

I need help in locating a full featured nroff to run under MS-DOS.  I have
a large collection of source files which I am trying to port to MS-DOS
from UNIX and would like to continue to use nroff unless there is a better
solution.

The general description of my application is that I want to produce both
vugraphs (large text with bullet format) and regular size text with
bullets or outline format from the same source.  I do this by using
different macros for the output.  I also make use of if...then logic.  The
macros use the wh trap in nroff, but I think I can program around that.

So far I have tried the following nroff-like programs, each of which fails
to meet my need for the reason stated:
nro -- no conditionals, no traps
neat -- no macros, no conditionals, no traps
proff -- no conditionals, no traps, crashes on my "compatable"

I would very much appreciate suggestions as to shareware or commercial
software that would meet my needs, although I'd like to spend as little
money as possible.  Perhaps there is a special-purpose program that
already does what I want.  Thanks very much for reading this note.

Sincerely,

- Marshall D. Abrams, phone: (703) 883-6938
   The MITRE Corporation, 7525 Colshire Drive
   Mail Stop Z506, Mc Lean, VA   22102
   Short e-mail address: abrams@mitre.org

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Dec 88 10:56 EDT
From: <MULLEN%CWRU.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Wanted: PC Graphics Textronic 4115/4129 Emulator for VGA

Hello !
 I am looking for a textronic 4115 or 4129 terminal emulator for a pc/386
vga system. I would like to run this thru telnet on tcp/ip but a serial
port is better than nothing.

thanks in advance.

Bob Mullen MULLEN@CWRU.CWRU.EDU
DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL ENGINEERING
CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERISITY
CLEVELAND, OHIO 44106
(216) - 368-2423

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Dec 88 15:28:02 EST
From: "Larry Bradley" <LARRY%VM.NRC.CA@CORNELLC.ccs.cornell.edu>
Subject: Wanted: PD PASCAL Comm Routines

Are there any Communications routines for Turbo Pascal in the library?  I
need to write some programs to communicate with the mainframe, and would
like to use Turbo Pascal. Any help would be appreciated.

*------------------------------------+--------------------*
|Larry Bradley                       |  LARRY@VM.NRC.CA   |
|Communications Manager              |        or          |
|National Research Council of Canada |   LARRY@NRCVM01    |
|Networks Branch                     |                    |
|M60, Montreal Road                  | (613)993-0240      |
|Ottawa, Canada  K1A 0R6             | FAX:(613) 954-2561 |
*------------------------------------+--------------------*

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Dec 88 11:00:37 EST
From: Ken Van Camp <kvancamp@ARDEC.ARPA>
Subject: Turbo C Math Toolbox

 >Can someone up there recommend me about good C math toolbox for the turbo
 >C compiler? it should include routins for MATRIX hendling and linear EQ.
 >if someone has sources to share i'll be gratefull; thanks.

I have the Wiley C Language Subroutine Library, which does what you ask
and a whole lot more.  When I bought it, Turbo C was not on the list of
supported compilers, but they supplied full source and I found it compiled
on a few different compilers without modification (including TC).  I don't
remember the price anymore, but you can contact John Wiley & Sons at
(201)469-4400.  I recommend it.

                            --Ken Van Camp
ARPANET:  kvancamp@ARDEC.ARPA   -or-   kvancamp@PICA.ARMY.MIL
BITNET:   (use above through normal gateways, like UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU)
USENET:   ardec.arpa!kvancamp@UUNET.UU.NET
       "Support your local maillist: Give to the March of Electrons"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Dec 88 16:43:41 CET
From: HOCHSTAE%DMRHRZ11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Using alternative SIMTEL20-Servers in EUROPE

There are many discussions about the TRICKLE Servers in Europe. In fact it
is sometimes difficult to get some files, because of the long distance. If
a TRICKLE Server doesn't get the file from LISTSERV@RPICICGE in a couple
of days (the exact time is different for each server), you receive a
message to the effect that your request has been cancelled.

But there is a another possibilty for European Users. LISTSERV@NDSUVM1
serves also nodes in Europe. LISTSERV@RPICICGE does not do this and tells
you that you should use trickle server. I discovered that files from
LISTSERV@NDSUVM1 arrive faster as those from TRICKLE Servers, if they are
not in the TRICKLE Cache Directory.

TRICKLE Users please note, that the Commands are similiar but not the same
for LISTSERVERS.

Christoph H. Hochstaetter <HOCHSTAE@DMRHRZ11.BITNET>

[As soon as my local (Korea) host comes back on the net, I'll send a note
to Bitnet describing how to use the TRICKLE servers in Europe.  If you're
not on Bitnet, but located in Europe, send me a note and I'll also forward
the file to you.  gph]

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------