Date: Mon, 05 Dec 88 17:04:53 EST
From: Joe Morris (jcmorris@mitre.arpa) <jcmorris@mitre.arpa>
Subject: Character transpositions: tilde/caret

In Info-ibmpc 7:58 Ray Bellis reports seeing transpositions of the caret
(^) and tilde (~) characters.  For what it's worth, by the time the digest
reached mitre.arpa the characters had been transposed in his message.

On the other hand, I've never had any problem unpacking archive files I've
picked up from the net (mainly the simtel20 archives).

Greg: did Ray's original note reach you with the characters transposed?
How about the text in this note?

[Ray's original note did NOT have the caret and tilde in it.  Your note
came through OK.]

Joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri Nov 18 22:54:49 1988
From: Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-emh1.Army.Mil>
Subject: Windows/386 Info

Windows/386 contains two logical parts:

     - Windows/286 (e.g. the normal Windows real mode product that uses
expanded memory to run lots of Windows applications)

     - a virtual machine manager which creates, manages, and multi-tasks
multiple DOS machines

Part of the virtual machine manager emulates expanded memory for each of
the virtual machines.  This allows you to have large Lotus 1-2-3
spreadsheets without having expanded memory hardware.  This allows the
Windows/286 portion of Win/386 to run lots of Windows applications, etc...

The virtual machine manager itself, though, only uses EXTENDED memory.  It
uses extended memory to emulate expanded memory.  It uses extended memory
to create each of the virtual machines.  The virtual machine manager runs
in protected mode, so it can access all of this extended memory, while
each of the virtual machines run in virtual 8086 mode (a mode available on
the 386 and not on the 286).

PC Tech Journal had a pretty good overview article on programming for the
386 virtual mode and writing virtual machine managers that explains a fair
amount about the internal workings of Win/386.  I don't remember which
issue it was in, but it shouldn't be hard to find.

------------------------------

Date: Mon,  5 Dec 88 11:13:26 -0500 (EST)
From: John Duchowski <jd3a+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: FTP of arc'ed files

I have noticed that some people were (are ?) having trouble with ftp of
arc'ed files.  Since I was running into the same problem, but now seem to
have things under control, I thought this may be of some help to others.

In UNIX ftp 'type tenex' appears to work always, regardless of CPU type
(i.e., on andrew.cmu.edu I have used ibm rt's, uVaxes and Suns all of
which run under 4.2 or 4.3 BSD Unix).  In VAX/VMS ftp (ver. 4.6), the
binary mode did not appear to work properly with arc'ed files.  Even
though errors on transfer were not reported, arc said that the file "was
not an archive".  What did work was 'type L 8'.

I now have a question of my own: I noticed that simtel20 appears to have a
dial-up line.  Is this open to general public, and if so what is the
number ?  Also, would signing on as anonymous/guest still work and what
would be the procedure for copying files (Kermit, Xmodem ?).

[Regrets, but Simtel20 does NOT have a dial up line open to the public...]

Thanks,
John Duchowski.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Dec 88 11:46:22 EST
From: reedp@horus.cem.msu.edu (Paul Reed)
Subject: Hard disk backup to VCR?

I recently heard something about an interface card that allows backing up
hard disks to an ordinary VCR (video cassette recorder).  I don't know the
name of the manufacturer or anything else about it.  Does anyone else know
anything about this?  Thanks for the info,

Paul Reed                        Internet: reedp@horus.cem.msu.edu
                                   Bitnet: reedp@msucem.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Dec 88 15:09:35 est
From: Charles Bennett <uchuck@uncecs.edu>
Subject: 2K vs 4K Cluster Size

Regarding all the questions about 2K Clusters vs 4K sectors and how to
force 2K clusters on LOGICAL disks less than 20M.  The following has
worked well for us with PC-DOS>3.0<4.0:

1)  Backup your current disk(s).

2)  Cold boot from a virgin DOS in the A: drive.

3)  Run FDISK making whatever partitions you wish. Be sure to activate
    the primary DOS partition.

4)  Format each logical drive.  USING NO PARAMETERS(no /s or /v etc.)

5)  Using debug change the boot sector for each logical drive:
          ****  !!  BE CAREFUL DOING THIS  !!  ****
    DEBUG                           where n = 0 = A:
    -L 0 n 0 1 <cr>                           1 = B:
    -E 0D <cr>                                2 = C:
    xxxx:0D  08.04 <cr>                       3 = D:
    -E 16 <cr>                                4 = E:  , etc.
    xxxx:16  08.ss <cr>            where ss =ceil(2*drivesize in bytes
    -W 0 n 0 1 <cr>                               /(2048*512)) + 1
    -Q

6)  Do another COLD boot as in 2).  This is critical, since the boot
    sector is read by DOS only once, at boot time, in order to build
    the BIOS parameter block.  Having different info in the boot sector
    than what's in memory-resident BPD will give UNPREDICTABLE RESULTS.

7)  Reformat each logical drive using the FORMAT command with any
    parameters you wish.

8)  Restore your files.  DO NOT allow RESTORE to restore the two system
    files, IBMBIO.COM and IBMDOS.COM.  If you allow this, they will be
    be put in the WRONG place and your disk will be unbootable.

NOTE: ss is the FAT size, and must change to accommodate (1) the
      increased number of possible FAT entries and (2) the increased
      size of each FAT entry from 12 bits to 16 bits.  That formula
      again is:

      ss = ceil(2*drivesize-in-bytes/(2048/512)) + 1
      convert ss to HEX before entry

Good Luck.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Dec 88 13:10:48 EST
From: "Jack E. McCoy" <ACMCCOY%ECUVM1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: MS Windows Developer's Kit

I am interested in programming under Microsoft Windows. Does anyone know
if Turbo C will compile programs using the MS windows developer's kit?

Jack E. McCoy                                     ACMCCOY@ECUVM1.BITNET
Microcomputer Consultant                          (919) 757 - 6812
East Carolina University                          Greenville, NC 27858

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Dec 88 13:44:03 -0800
From: rtobin@ICS.UCI.EDU
Subject: Downloading fonts to a hercules compatable card

This is what I found out about attempting to download fonts into a
hercules compat. display card:

      It can't be done unless you have a Genuine Hercules Plus card.

Roy Tobin

------------------------------

Date: Mon,  5 Dec 88 11:25:15 -0500 (EST)
From: John Duchowski <jd3a+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Stand alone Xmodem

I do have a stand alone version of Xmodem (C source code in the form of an
arc'ed shar archive).

[Contact Keith Petersen <w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil> and see about
uploading the sources...]

John Duchowski

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Dec 88 21:49:28 EST
From: "Robert E. Zaret" <ZARET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Typewriter/printers

First, I should state my basic biases about computer printers. Dot-matrix
printers are great for drafts and working papers.  Laser printers are ex-
pensive, but appropriate when flash is important.  But when I really want
to impress someone with a LETTER, nothing beats a formed-letter (daisy
wheel, thimble, bar, etc.) printer, because nothing else leaves an
imprint.

I bought a Smith Corona XE 6100 typewriter in January 1987.  When I bought
it, my immediate need was for a typewriter, but I hoped to get a computer
and attach the two.  Thus, I chose the XE 6100 because it included a
spelling checker, lift-off correction, and provision for connecting to a
computer.  I have been very happy with my choice.  It was a joy to use as
a stand-alone typewriter.  In the summer of 1987, I bought a computer and
a Smith Corona Messenger Module to connect the computer to my typewriter.
The two have worked well together since then.

The spelling checker is on by default.  I don't bother to turn it off, so
it beeps whenever it detects a misspelled word (thought I'd start with a
major problem).

The Messenger Module can be connected to a computer's serial or parallel
port.  I've had no problem connecting to a parallel port, and no problem
connecting to the serial port of a slow computer (a DG/One).   However I
did have trouble connecting to the serial port of a "fast" computer (a
6MHz IBM PC/AT).  The typewriter prints only 10 characters/second, so it
requires data at approximately 100 bits/sec.  The Messenger Module can be
set for 50-19.2K bits/sec, includes a buffer, and can be set for hardware,
ETX/ACK, or XON/XOFF handshaking.  Unfortunately, my word processor (PFS
Professional Write) supports no speed slower than 300 bits/sec and seems
to ignore handshaking.  I succeeded by "telling" PFS the typewriter was on
LPT2, and using the DOS MODE command to reroute LPT2 to COM1 and set COM1
to 110 bits/sec.  The setup works so long as my letter isn't too dense;
otherwise I lose words.  (I wanted the typewriter on a serial port because
I now have a dot-matrix printer and each of my computers has one serial
port and one parallel port).

I've taken good care of my typewriter, so I can't say it will survive life
on a ship (or other harsh environments); it seems well made.  The print
quality is excellent (I use lift-off ribbon with the typewriter by itself,
but multi-strike ribbon with the typewriter as a printer).  It is smaller
and lighter (10-15 pounds) than the DIABLO I remember, which helps
portability, but means the machine moves when typing.  The typewriter has
no provision for continuous feed.

The typewriter cost $270; I could have saved $50-$150 by passing up the
spelling checker and lift-off.  The Messenger Module cost $110.

(The last DIABLO I tried to use jammed paper so badly I gave up; I assume
that is not common among DIABLOs).

[MY Diablo has NEVER jammed paper...  Not even ONCE in the 8 years I've
used it...  Maybe I'm lucky...  (Knock on wood!)  gph]

------------------------------

Date: 6 Dec 88 10:33:34 PST (Tuesday)
From: "George_C._Burkitt.ElSegundo"@Xerox.COM
Subject: Info-IBMPC Digest V7 #58

>Date: Wed, 30 Nov 88 15:45:23 PST
>From: TONY%SLACVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
>Subject: Dual monitors
>I want to attach another monochrome monitor

You can install color monitor/adapter,  but not a second monochrome one.
The instructions that come with the color adapter show how to get it up
and running, as either the primary or secondary monitor.

------------------------------

Date: 6 Dec 88 12:18:30 PST (Tuesday)
From: Wax.OsbuSouth@Xerox.COM

I recently picked up a copy of ILEAVE16.ARC from simtel20.  I ran it my my
true blue IBM PC/XT under 2.1, but with a V20 chip and a 8087 in it.  I
found that IAU.EXE was totally spaced out as to what my disk was and could
not read anything from the disk (it said that my disk had 1642 Mb on it
and was spinning at 19000 RPM and that there was 743 tracks).  The disk is
an IBM 10Meg. disk.  All disk accessing software was stopped.

[I recently used this program to 're-format' the hard disk (20mb) for an
IBM PC/XT without problems.  It was also used to rearrange a disk for our
Z-248's with Seagate ST-225's installed.  I have heard about people with
'non-standard' drives having problems though.  PC Magazine had a review of
this program in a very recent issue... gph]

Has anyone else had this problem and is there a newer/better version
available?

Allan Wax
Wax.OSBUSouth@Xerox.COM

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Dec 88 18:38:47 EST
From: Bruce O'Neel <XRBEO@SCFVM.GSFC.NASA.GOV>
Subject: Math tool boxes

There is a nice book out titled "Numerical Recipes in C" by William H.
Press, Brian P. Flannery, Saul A. Teukolsky, and William T. Vetterling,
published by Cambridge University Press, 1988.  ISBN 0-521-35465-X.  Ex-
ample books and Program diskettes are available.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Dec 88 13:37:20 +0200
From: Lenny Garfinkel <BMGARF%WEIZMANN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: mouse emulator

Does anyone know of an easily available program (public domain preferred)
which allows a joystick to emulate a mouse on a pc?

Thanks in advance.

Lenny Garfinkel (bmgarf@weizmann)
Weizmann Institute
Rehovot,Israel

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Dec 1988  15:32 MST
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: SIMTEL20 FTP performance

> Sometimes when I ftp from simtel20 I will be able to start
> a transfer but at some point the packets just seem to stop
> coming.  The process just sits there until I kill it and
> the file never gets any larger.  I have not been able to ftp
> even one long file for the past couple of months at least if
> not longer although I have done it in the past (i.e. 6 months
> ago).  I was wondering if there is anything that I need to do
> to alleviate the problem or is it something that I will have
> to live with.

Some users have experienced the same problem.  Help has arrived!  New
network software was installed a few days ago which has resulted in an
impressive improvement in performance.  If you've given up on using FTP to
get files from SIMTEL20 try again.  If you get "connection refused" keep
trying.  That just means all the net ports are busy.

Keith Petersen
w8sdz at wsmr-simtel20.army.mil [26.0.0.74]
DDN: w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil
Uucp:
{ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

------------------------------

Date: Tue 6 Dec 88 17:26:34-PDT
From: ROHAN%ASTRO.SPAN@STAR.STANFORD.EDU
Subject: Stand-alone XMODEM wanted

David Kobus writes in #58

> I know XMODEM is included in a variety of communication packages, but
> can it be executed by itself without a peripheral package like say the
> KERMIT protocol?

I don't see how anyone could get XMODEM to even run under KERMIT!  KERMIT
and XMODEM are roughly different implementations of the same thing.  Let
me explain the process one goes through to transfer files using either
protocol, and maybe that will make things clearer.

You first start out by executing a communications program that supports
one of the above two protocols (Some programs offer both for more
diversity) (in other cases like many public domain or mainframe versions
of XMODEM (or KERMIT), the communications program is provided in the
XMODEM (KERMIT) program itself).

With the communications program, you connect and login to the computer you
wish to download from.

Next you run a version of XMODEM (or KERMIT) on the remote computer, and
you tell that program to start sending (receiving in the case of an
upload) the file you want.  (Many times XMODEM is supplied in a command
line ver- sion and sometimes also as stand alone programs).

You then command your communications program to start receiving (sending)
using the XMODEM (or KERMIT) protocol.  (on some nice implementations, the
program recognizes the protocol being send and automatically starts up :-)

When the transfer is finished you return to the remote computer to
shutdown XMODEM (if needed) and to logoff.  You can then exit the
communications program.

The two XMODEM (or KERMIT) programs "talk" to each other to ensure that
the file being transferred is being sent correctly.  They are basically a
way of encoding data into small packet for transfer across communication
lines error free.  (If you have error free lines there also is the FAST
protocol, but that never really caught on like XMODEM and KERMIT did).
Please note that XMODEM and KERMIT protocols are not compatible with each
other, they both speak their own language.

If your question was whether XMODEM could be used without a communications
program...It cannot.  There are "pure" versions of XMODEM (those that
don't support KERMIT) available, but if the communications program you
have has both, then that means you can access other systems with programs
that sup- port either of the two protocols, allowing downloading from more
places (just like having both VISA and American Express :-)

Rick Rohan
Lockheed Engineering & Sciences Co. (Is not responsible for anything I say)

------------------------------

Date: 6 Dec 88 13:24:29 PST (Tuesday)
From: "Donald_T.C._Sun.WBST129"@Xerox.COM
Subject: voice synthesis systems query

I am interested in obtaining any information I can on an inexpensive voice
synthesis system for a friend who has lost his ability to speak.  Any in-
formation on hardware/software for a complete system would be appreciated.
My requirements are quite simple.  One, quality speech.  Two, an efficient
method of text input.  Three, reasonable cost.  A compact, portable system
would be great too.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Don

internet/bitnet: sun.wbst129@xerox.com
uucp: ...!{amd|hplabs|ihnp4|rochester|seismo}!parcvax!Sun.wbst129

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Dec 88 15:04:56 CET
From: Hein P. Osenberg <IBTTEO01%CZHETH1I.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Connecting a 1.44 mbyte drive

I have a Toshiba T-1200 and I want to connect a 1.44 MByte 3 1/2 inch
drive. I want to replace the internal 720k drive.

Questions: - Has anybody done this ?
           - Do I have to use a drive with open collector interface, or can
             I use a drive with CMOS interface (Power saving) ?
           - What version of DOS do I need and/or do I have to modify my
             ROM BIOS ?

I have successfully connected a 1.2 MBytes 5 1/4 external drive. (Problems
with formatting, though)

Thank you very much in advance, Hein P. Osenberg

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------