Date: Sun, 18 Dec 1988  23:54 MST
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: AWK for MSDOS

This announcement is somewhat belated as this file has been on Simtel20
for some time now.  Sorry it was overlooked.

--Keith

Date: Wednesday, 14 December 1988  07:26-MST
From: mirror!necntc!necis!rbono@bu-cs.bu.edu (Rich Bono)
Subject: DOSGATE - Remote operation of a PC

Now available via standard anonymous FTP from SIMTEL20:

Filename            Type  Bytes     CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.PACKET>
DOSGAT16.ARC             BINARY    177629  7510H

DOSGATE (ver. 1.6) is a shareware program which allows a standard MS-DOS
computer to be controlled via an RS-232 serial port.  The port is
considered to be a remote user.  The console of the machine is still in
complete control and can supervise and disable/enable the remote user at
will.  There is a simple 'Chat' mode that may be entered from the console
to allow 'talking' with the remote user to give assistance or
instructions.  In addition to chat mode, there is a simple terminal
emulator to allow control of a modem or other device connected to the
serial port.

The remote user may be connected directly with an RS-232 terminal, via a
modem over telephone lines, or with a TNC for remote operation via packet
radio!

The local console may still be used for any software that normally runs.
The remote user is capable of running any software that calls only MS-DOS
(int 21h) system calls.  Any software that by-passes MS-DOS and interfaces
with the BIOS or directly with the hardware for I/O will not be usable by
the remote user.

See the .DOC files for information in setting up the system.  --
/*************************************************************************\
* Rich Bono (NM1D)    If I could only 'C' forever!!    rbono@necis.nec.com
* * (508) 635-6303         NEC Information Systems       NM1D @ WB1DSW-1
\*************************************************************************/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Dec 88 13:28:53 EST
From: Tal Wyatt (HDL) <twyatt@BRL.MIL>
Subject: EASE'ing IBM token ring device drivers

I am a dedicated user of MARK/RELEASE, garnered from SIMTEL20.  I used to
use MARK/RELEASE to vacate the IBM token ring software TOKREUI, NETBEUI,
and IBM PC LAN Program from my memory (speaking as a computer, eh?) and
was able to reload the token ring software again when I needed it -- much
faster than rebooting.  Well, now it doesn't work when I try to reload the
token ring driver software -- (after having kicked it out once with
RELEASE) the TOKREUI and NETBEUI drivers tell me that they are already
installed (error #1) and do not reinstall themselves.  Which means that my
system has changed slightly since my halcyon days of glorious freedom.

     Apparently TOKREUI and NETBEUI are leaving little notes about their
existence somewhere (maybe even in the token ring card) that RELEASE
doesn't know about, and looking for them when I try to reload the drivers.
Shades of cats and dogs!  Does anyone know what can be done to
pooper-scooper these token ring drivers??

Tal Wyatt, twyatt@adm.brl.mil

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Dec 1988  21:59 MST
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Fast assembly language screen writes for Turbo Pascal

If you are a Turbo Pascal programmer you will want to look at:

Directory pd1:<msdos.turbopas>
TAVID12.ARC    Fast video routines with demo [TASM,MASM source]
          Archive includes the original files from TAVIDEO.ARC
          (written for the TASM compiler), plus new versions
          for MASM.

          Excellent fast assembler video routines for mono,
          CGA, EGA.  Well documented, nice demo.  Compliments
          to the author (original credits maintained in docs
          and source).  Everything works just fine with my cheap
          Hercules-compatible monochrome graphics card; can't
          speak for CGA, EGA.

          David Kirschbaum
          Toad Hall
          kirsch@braggvax.ARPA
---
Thanks, David!  This replaces TAVIDEO.ARC.

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the CP/M & MSDOS archives wsmr-simtel20.army.mil [26.0.0.74]
DDN: w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-
simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 88 16:56:00 CST
From: Bill Hayes <IANR012%UNLVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Windows Development Package and Turbo Pascal/C

     TurboPascal and Turbo C can not be used with the Windows Development
Package.  You might (?)  be able to write/convert  the code into Turbo
Assembler, since it can mimick earlier versions of MicroSoft Assembler.
MicroSoft C, Pascal and Assembler can all be used with the Windows
Development Package.

     This is second-hand information I've gleaned from magazine articles,
etc.  Anybody out there actually used the thing?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Dec 88  12:40:58 MEZ
From: P180404%DBORUB01.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: int 21(h) problem

Hi Netlanders

If I try to call (PC-)DOS interrupt 21(h), esp. function 48(h)
(reserve RAM space) from an interrupt service routine, why, o why does it
work one time and fail another?

What am I to consider in calling these routines that I probably have not
done yet? "48(h)" frequently returns error code 8, which means
"insufficient RAM available". There is a similar problem with function 9
(character output).  When calling these functions several times in succes-
sion, the system hangs.  What's going on here?

I'd appreciate any and all kinds of help, here is my BITNET address:

                P180404%DBORUB01.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu (internet)

                                   Thanks
                                   NORBERT WINGENDER

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 88 18:33 GMT
From: <BIOMED%CZHETH5A.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Multitasking and DOS 3.30

On SIMTEL20 there is a file MULTASK.ARC which can make the PC execute two
tasks at a time. This is really nice and works with many programs.  For
example, Kermit can RUN in background.

Now the bad news : At startup, it checks for the DOS version, if it is
within 2.00 ... 3.10. Unfortunately I use DOS 3.30, so it says
'unsupported DOS version'. Stepping through it with a debugger showed me
the int21 ah=30 call which gets the version number from MSDOS. Applying a
little patch here was of no help, now I get a 'modified or non standard
IBM PC-DOS' message.

Booting with a DOS 3.10 floppy works fine and lets me use all the
features, but no autoexec/config/path etc. then. Do I have to go back to
the old DOS or -

Has anybody found a patch or a newer version ?

The file is PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>MULTASK.ARC , 16384 byte on SIMTEL20 (or
RPICICGE or TRICKLE)

Thanks for any help,        Tom   (BIOMED@CZHETH5A)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Dec 1988  12:22 MST
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: New version of DSZ x/y/zmodem program for MSDOS

Now available via standard anonymous FTP from Simtel20:

Filename            Type  Bytes     CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.ZMODEM>
DSZ1220.ARC              BINARY     82944  D334H

DSZ is a stand-alone modem program which saves the comm port status,
installs its own comm interrupt handlers, sends or receives files using
ZMODEM, True YMODEM(Tm), and XMODEM.  It restores the old comm port status
before exiting.

Features include buffered RX/TX for good background performance, "Talk"
command for interactive operation and background transfers in <70k
DESQview etc. window, table driven CRC-32, Crash Recovery(Tm), and
advanced file management.

[Recent update information is included in the ARChive.]

--
Keith Petersen

Date: Sat, 17 Dec 88 13:58:29 EST
From: "Robert E. Zaret" <ZARET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Subject: OS/2 Kermit

According to the INFOKermit digest, an EXPERIMENTAL version of Kermit for
OS/2 is available.  "Reportedly, this version has some problems with VT100
terminal emulation when parity is being sent by the host..." It is stored
as CKOKER.DOC, CKOKER.BOO, and CKOKER.BWR.  BITNET sites can obtain files
through the fileserver KERMSRV at CUVMA.  The files are also available via
anonymous FTP on CUNIXC.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU, but the note didn't say which
directory (kermit/a, kermit/b, kermit/c, kermit/d, or kermit/e) contains
the files.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 88 14:29 P
From: P88031%BARILAN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: RGB & PAL MONITORS

HELLO
In our university we are trying to reconfigure a multi purpose audio
visual lab.  In order to achieve it we need the Pc TTL EGA  monitors also
to serve  as Composite video PAL monitors.

There are two ways to do it:

a) Using multiscan RGB TTL & Analog monitors and converting the PAL into
Analog RGB

b) Using multiscan monitors that know how to accept composite signals.(we
don't know about such monitors and found only Mitsibushi monitors  that
accept NTSC signals.)

any further information about distributors of such monitors or converters
including experience and recomandation will help us a lott.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Dec 88 18:31:19 MEZ
From: Ewald JENISCH <A4421DAD%AWIUNI11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Sources for LINT and DRYSTONE Benchmark wanted...

Hi Netlanders|

Does anybody out there know where I can get the *SOURCES* for LINT
(C-preprocessor) and the DRYSTONE Benchmark??  Anything (public domain,
shareware, commercial) will do...

Please reply directly to:

Mag. Ewald JENISCH
Institute of Statistics & Computer Science
Univ. of Vienna, Austria
E-Mail: A4421DAD@AWIUNI11.BITNET

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------