Date: Fri, 6 Jan 1989 12:06:15 EST
From: Christine M Gianone <cmg@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu>
Subject: Announcing MS-DOS Kermit 2.32

This is to announce version 2.32 of MS-DOS Kermit for the IBM PC and PS/2
families and compatibles, the DEC Rainbow, the HP-150 and 110, the Grid
Compass II, the Victor 9000, and for "generic DOS".  This release replaces
version 2.31 of July 1988.  The majority of the work was done by Professor
Joe R. Doupnik of Utah State University, who also prepared the 2.29, 2.30,
and 2.31 releases.

Like previous releases, version 2.32 includes an advanced and efficient
implementation of the Kermit file transfer protocol, emulation of the
VT102, VT52, and Heath 19 terminals, as well as the Tektronix 4010/4014
graphics terminals, a script programming language, and a wide variety of
options, settings, and other features.

New to version 2.32 are many bug fixes and internal improvements, and one
major new feature -- support, during CONNECT mode, for languages like
Hebrew and Arabic in which characters are displayed from right to left,
plus mechanisms to facilitate switching between character sets (and their
associated directions).  These new language features were adapted from
work done by Baruch Cochavy, IIT, Haifa, Israel, whose test version of
"Hebrew Kermit" was announced in Info-Kermit V8 #9.  The enhanced language
support is available through the new command SET TERMINAL DIRECTION, plus
a new ALTERNATE-ROM option for the SET TERMINAL CHARACTER-SET command,
plus the association of special predefined macro names with new private
escape sequences.

The changes since version 2.31 are described fully in the file MSR232.UPD.
The user manual, MSKERM.DOC (.MSS, .PS) has been revised to reflect the
new features.

This new release is available in both source and binary form.  It may be
ordered on diskette or magnetic tape from Columbia, and it may be obtained
via network file transfer over the Internet or BITNET/EARN.  On the
Internet, use FTP (user anonymous) to host CUNIXC.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU
[128.59.40.130], CWD (or CD) to the directory kermit/a.  On BITNET/EARN,
send an interactive or e-mail message to KERMSRV@CUVMA (the BITNET Kermit
file server), containing the text HELP, to get started.

The executable files are stored in a special printable format, called "BOO
files", suitable for BITNET file transfer, electronic mail, etc.  These
are decoded back into .EXE files using any of the MSBPCT "BOO-file
decoder" programs.  The documentation is available online in plain ASCII
text for- mat, in Scribe text formatter source format, and in Postscript
format.  Follow- ing is a synopsis of the files.  The KERMSRV name is the
same as the CUNIXC name, except the CUNIXC name is lowercase with a period
between the filename and filetype, wherease the KERMSRV name is uppercase
with a space separating the filename and filetype, e.g. msaaaa.hlp on
CUNIXC is MSAAAA HLP on CUVMA.

 mskerm.doc    333K        MS-DOS 2.32 Kermit manual, plain ASCII text
 mskerm.ps     489K        MS-DOS 2.32 Kermit manual, for Postscript
                           printers
 mskerm.mss    323K        Scribe text formatter source for manual
 mskerm.hlp     16K        A summary of MS-Kermit commands
 mskerm.bwr     14K        List of known restrictions, bugs, etc.
 mss*.*        776K total  System-independent MASM Source files (12 files)
 msg*.*        128K        System-dependent source (Tektronix graphics)
 msu*.*      70-85K each   Sys-depn source (keyboard support, all systems)
 msx*.*     25-174K each   Sys-depn source (port i/o, etc, all systems)
 msy*.*     22-124K each   Sys-depn source (terminal emulation, IBM only)
 msz*.*     66-189K each   Sys-depn source (term emul, cont'd, IBM only)
 msv*.mak        2K each   Microsoft MAKE files for each version
 msv*.bat        2K each   Batch files to build each version
 msv*.lnk        1K each   LINK command files for each version

The utility program MSUCHK.C (and .BOO), contributed by Phil Benchoff, al-
lows convenient determination of MS-Kermit's keyboard codes on the IBM PC
family.  And the files MSIXSE.* are the XSEND program, contributed by Mark
Zinzow, for constructing MS-Kermit command files that send entire
directory trees from one DOS system to another.

For the benefit of those who are still running version 2.29 and haven't
converted to later versions because the SET KEY syntax changed so drasti-
cally, there is also a new file, MSVIBM.KEY, which lists the old (2.29)
and new (2.30 and later) IBM keyboard scan codes.

Be sure to read the MSKERM.BWR file before trying to use the new version,
or reporting any problems with it.

Here are the minimum files needed for the new release ("xxx" stands for
the specific version, IBM, RB1, HP1, HPX, V90, GEN, etc):

1. For everybody: The documentation -- MSKERM.DOC, MSKERM.HLP, MSKERM.BWR,
MSR232.UPD.

2. The new Kermit program itself: MSVxxx.BOO (where xxx denotes the par-
ticular MS-DOS system: IBM, RB1, HP1, etc).

3. If you don't have an MSBPCT "BOO-file decoder", also get at least
MSBPCT.BAS (the slow BASIC version) and MSBPCT.BOO (an .EXE version from
C, which you can decode with MSBPCT.BAS).  Use MSBPCT.EXE to decode
MSVxxx.BOO.

4. For those who want to make modifications to the sources: MSS*.*,
MSGxxx.* (if any), MSXxxx.*, MSYxxx.* (if any), MSZxxx.* (if any),
MSVxxx.MAK (or .BAT if you don't have MAKE), and MSVxxx.LNK.

The IBM PC, DEC Rainbow, and HP-150 versions may also be ordered on dis-
kette from Columbia, along with typeset, printed copies of the manual.
The IBM version is available on 5.25-inch 360K DS DD diskettes, and on
3.5-inch 720K DS diskettes for the PS/2 family.  The Rainbow version is on
RX50.  The HP-150 version is on 3.5" diskette.

FINAL WORDS:

Like any Kermit program, MS-DOS Kermit is for everyone to use and share.
There is no software license, and the program and documentation may be
reproduced and redistributed without restriction, so long as this is not
done for profit.  Please take or order the files you need.  If you're
getting files over a network, please be judicious -- don't ask for MS*.*,
or the networks will be choked for months!  Once you get a working copy at
your site, share it with others, rather than having them make further
network requests.

Send complaints, bug reports, suggestions, comments, or even praise (where
it's deserved) to Info-Kermit@CUNIXC (.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU).  And thanks once
again on behalf of the world's thousands or millions of MS-DOS Kermit
users to Joe Doupnik for his skill, generosity, and patience.  And thanks
also to the beta testers.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 89 13:15:18 MEZ
From: Erich Neuwirth <A4422DAB%AWIUNI11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Assembler question

I need some help.

Austrian law has some strange regulations about when you are allowed to
take your laptop on travels to foreign countries.  Being able to find out
if you have to get a special permission involves calculating a certain
power index of your PC.  To be able to do so I would need some information
I cannot get myself because I do not have easy access to the relevant
sources.

So my questions are:

How many cycles does each of the following two instruction need on an
8088, 8086, 80286 and 80386. The two instructions are

ADD    AX,BX
MUL    AX,BX

ERICH NEUWIRTH
A4422DAB  at  AWIUNI11   in   BITNET
Intitute for Statistics and Computer Science
University of Vienna
Universitaetsstr. 5/9
A-1010 VIENNA, Austria

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Jan 1989  10:48 MST
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: DOSTAX88 - freeware tax program uploaded to Simtel20

Date: Wed, 4 Jan 89 12:04:18 PST
From: ultra!bob@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Bob Beach)
Subject: Emulators/Debuggers for PC-AT

We are doing some device driver work on a PC-AT compatible and are finding
that software only debuggers do not work very well for such tasks. We are
looking for hardware emulators/debuggers that would allow debugging in
interrupt service routines, break- points on data and code accesses,
symbolic debugging, etc. I have used Intel's ICE 286 for this purpose, but
it is a very expensive tool ($15K+). I have seen units for the PC, but
none for the AT.  Does anyone have any experience with such units and
could make some recommendations?

Thanks

Bob Beach
Ultra Network Technologies
bob@ultra.com
ames!ultra!bob

------------------------------

Date: 03 JAN 89   15:02  GMT
From: u320%CBEBDA3T.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU  (Martin Egger)
Subject: Memory resident TEK (4014) driver ...

Hi,
we are looking for a memory resident TEK driver (4014 is good, 4105/07
would be better!) that can be loaded as device=... and which convertes TEK
escape sequences written to CON to a nice picture. Oh yes, EGA support
would be needed. Is there such a thing, commercial or PD?

-- Martin Egger
-- University of Bern, Dept. of Organic Chemistry
-- Freiestrasse 3, CH-3012 Bern / Switzerland
-- Phone: ++41 (0) 31 65 43 28
-- eMail: u320@cbebda3t.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jan 89 19:34:00 CST
From: david@wubios.WUstl.EDU (David J. Camp)
Subject: Microsoft SETENV Program

     Along with Microsoft C 5.0 and 5.1 (and maybe other versions) there
is a program called SETENV which purports to patch MS-Dos and PC-Dos
versions 2.0 through 3.1 to enlarge the size of the environment.  I have
not tried this program, only read its documentation.

     It says that if you have Dos version 3.2 or later you can set the
size of the environment with the SHELL command in \CONFIG.SYS .

-David-

Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wucs1!wubios!david          v      660 South Euclid
Washington University Medical School               Saint Louis, MO 63110

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Jan 1989  21:44 MST
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: New DESQview-related files uploaded to SImtel20

Date: Mon, 9 Jan 89 14:02 GMT
From: <BIOMED%CZHETH5A.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Olivetti M-290

Dear networkers,

our student computer shop offers the Olivetti M-290, AT compatible, with
20 MB hard disk and VGA. Has anyone on this net one of these (maybe they
have an ATT label in the states) and can answer me follwing questions:

- Is it possible to attach 3.5 inch floppies (1.4 MByte) of any brand ?
- Any non-Olivetti harddisks (Seagate for example) ?
- Is the keyboard OK ?
- How many grey levels can their VGA produce in color mode ?
- Others comments (Both positive and negative) ?

Thank you,        Stephan Maier, BIOMED@CZHETH5A  (Bitnet)
                  ETH Zuerich, Switzerland

------------------------------

Date: 5 Jan 89 09:25:00 MST
From: "2614 Olman, Melvin D." <mdolman@sandia-2.arpa>
Subject: Scheduling Software Needed

Some of our users want to transfer codes from a mainframe to a PC and
would like to know is there is software available to replicate what he is
doing on the mainframe.  They need software that will handle the
scheduling of several classrooms along with the scheduling of several
instructors, including their trip schedules, vacations, etc.   They would
also like to produce various reports from this data.

If anyone knows of any software (commercial preferred) that comes close to
this, I would appreciate hearing about it.

                    Thanks in advance,

Mel Olman        (505) 844-7701             mdolman@sandia.gov
Computer Consulting and Training, 2614
Sandia National Laboratories
Albuquerque, NM  87185-5800                 Yes, New Mexico is in the USA!

[Could you be more specific?  What software are you using on the
mainframe?  What language is it written in?  What machine are you trying
to run it on?   gph]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jan 89 10:12 EDT
From: "S Triantafyllopoulos" <"34943::STRIANTAFYLL%gmr.com"@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Some information needed on GEM/3

Hello,

I am starting to use GEM/3 by Digital Research, and would like to find out
if the following things exist for it:

a. a generalized programming interface, like Microsoft has available for
Windows (i.e for menus, scroll bars, and the such). I guess such software
would be in a "toolbox" format for C or Pascal...  I've seen something
from Digital Research but at a pretty STEEP price, any better ones?

b. A font editor package that can edit screen fonts. I've heard something
like that exists on the Atari ST side but not on the PClone side.

c. A printer driver that can print fonts generated by (b) on a dot matrix
printer.

d. some examples of writing GEM/3 specific software (i.e. thru (a) or
directly if (a) is unavailable)

Any help will be appreciated, in e-mail or post form.

Thank you in advance,

Spiros

--
Spiros Triantafyllopoulos     ||  Delco Electronics, Kokomo, IN
Automotive Electronic Systems ||  spiros%gmr.com@relay.cs.net

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Jan 89 17:57:16 PST
From: <JAJZ801%CALSTATE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
          (JEFFREY SICHERMAN - CALSTATE LONG BEACH)
Subject: Speech Recognition

 The marketplace (back page ads) section of PC Tech and PC Mag have and
advertisement for speech synthesis, digitizer, and recognition devices by
a compant called COVOX, Inc. at low prices (for such stuff).

 Does anybody have any experience with these things or the manufacturer ?
What's the relative quality ?

  Jeff Sicherman
  jajz801@calstate.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jan 1989  21:24 MST
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Upload of PC-Write 3.02 to Simtel20

Date: 6 Jan 89 16:42:00 CST
From: "RIPH4::ZIELKE" <zielke%riph4.decnet@physics.rice.edu>
Subject: VGA Boards

  I am currently looking at VGA graphics boards.  I am wondering if anyone
has any experience with the various boards.  I intend to run IBM OS/2 on
it as well as windows/386 on it.  The board will be installed in an IBM-AT
which has an INBOARD 386 installed.  My primary concern is compatability
with hardware specific programs, as well as resolution (800X600) would be
nice but not necessary.

  Please send responses to me and I will summarize for the net.

David M. Zielke
ARPA==>   Zielke@Physics.Rice.Edu            *
          Zielke@128.42.9.23                 *  After Three Days
MaBell==> 713-527-8101 ext. 4018   work      *   Without Programming
          713-666-2982        home           *    Life Becomes
US Snail==>    David M. Zielke               *     Meaningless
          7490 Brompton #110                 *
          Houston, Tx 77025                  *    -The Tao of Programming

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------