Date: Fri, 13 Jan 89 7:09:19 GMT
From: MITRE-KOREA@SEOUL-EMH1.ARMY.MIL
Subject: 1.2 MB - 360 KB floppy compatibility

My office is looking into getting new ADP, and we need the straight info
on the compatibility of 5.25" floppies.  I know that a 1.2 drive can read
a 360 K disk, and that a 360K canNOT read high density disks.

However, what I'd really like to know is this:  If I format a 2S/2D disk
on a 1.2 MB drive, specifying to format it as 360 K using 40 tracks, will
this work?  Will I be able to use it interchangeably in a 360 K drive?

If this is not possible using standard IBM software, is there some 3d
party software that would permit it?

Thanks in advance.

Dan Jones
MITRE-Korea@seoul-emh1.army.mil

------------------------------

Date: 12 Jan 89 14:09:49 GMT
From: crdos1!davidsen@uunet.UU.NET (bill davidsen)
Subject: 80 meg in Novell 2.0, real AT, 1985 bios?

| Date: Thu, 15 Dec 88 16:47:22 EST
| From: hsi!stepstone.com!aad@uunet.UU.NET (Anthony A. Datri)
| Subject: 80 meg in Novell 2.0, real AT, 1985 bios?
|
| I've got a real IBM AT here, bios date 11-15-85.  It's got a 40 meg type
| 15 drive in it now, running as a Novell 2.0a server.  I need to stick a
| bigger drive in there, like a Seagate 4096 (80 meg), but I'm told that
| the BIOS is too old to have those drive types in there, and thus the
| Novell

  I uploaded a disk manager to ST20 called BIGDISK. I'm not sure where it
would up, but Keith mentioned that he got it and edited the doc file.
This should allow you to get the space you need, and the price is really
right.

  Needs DOS3.3 or later, but uses no TSR's, and doesn't slow access. No
hardware changes needed.

     bill davidsen       (wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 89 13:45:16 EST
From: todd pukanecz <CCCS@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU>
Subject: Editors in Turbo Pascal

hi,
  I recall reading in, I think, the first TurboTechnix Mag, that with the
release of TP4.0, that Borland was including the editor used in the Turbo
intigrated environments in the WordProcessing Toolbox.  This, appearantly
is the guts of the Turbo editors, and allows lots of external envioronmen
to be built around it (pop-up menus, etc.).  The editor came in a linkabl
form and could be used in any program without further licencing or
royalties to Borland.  You do need to buy the Borland Editors Toolbox.

  Also, this was when TP 4.0 was released.  Not really sure what the deal
is now that we have TP 5.0 (and what a gem it is).

  I've seen the Toolbox for $60-$70 from mail-order places, so the cost is
kind of prohibative, but you get a small, quick, well designed editor, as
well as examples of how to build around it or build your own so...

    todd
disclaimer : I am a customer and have no other affiliation with Borland

--------    /^^^\    ---- Todd Pukanecz ----   ----  CCCS@VTVM1  ----
-----     /       >   --- Ag. Econ. DPL --- "Find out the things you're
---  /\_/ @        \   -- Virginia Tech --   not good at... then DON'T
-  /________________>   - Blacksburg VA -    do them!"  - ALF

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 89 07:56:40 EST
From: halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Bruce P. Halpern)
Subject: Graphics Program Needed.

I'm interested in getting a graphics program that can be use to modify
graphs produced by Sigmaplot, Microsoft Chart, and perhaps Framework III
or Systat. It doesn't have to be mouse/joystick operated, although that
seems the natural way to go. We use IBM AT 333 with 7Mb RAM, 20Mb hard
disk, EGA, 360Kb and 1.4Mb 5.25 inch floppy disks.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

|  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca  |
|  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA D57J@CRNLVAX5|
|  UUCP:{vax135,rochester,decvax}!cornell!batcomputer!halp                |
|  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601    |

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 89 7:12:51 GMT
From: MITRE-KOREA@SEOUL-EMH1.ARMY.MIL
Subject: Hercules simulating CGA

I have a program called simcga1 that allows me to run CGA software on my
Hercules monitor.  Unfortunately, I don't know how to undo it, so when I
want to go back to Hercules operation, I have to reboot.  Is there a
command that I can give to simcga1 or to MSDOS to turn off the emulation?
If not, is there a similar program that I can run to reverse the effect?

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 89 12:25:03 pst
From: imagen!carl@decwrl.dec.com (Carl Stehle)
Subject: TSR for HP LazerJet to Emulate Epson Printer Query

Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL:

> I'm looking for a TSR program that will make an H.P. Lazer Jet emulate an
> Epson FX80/100, 286 compatible graphics printer. Or even an IBM
> Proprinter.
>
> Anyone ?
>
> John A. Potelle           POTELLE@MAINE.BITNET

Try Insight Development's LaserControl. They are at: (415)-654-8666.

-Carl

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1989 0:52:21 EST
From: Mohib N Durrani <mnd@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu>
Subject: Astronomy Queries

Are there any good programs for Astronomy, specifically for the
Sun-Earth-Moon 3-body problem, with perturbations caused by
Venus-Jupiter-etc. ?

Are there programs dealing with atmospheric-physical-optics for
information on TWILIGHT light/color calculations ?

Thanks.

Dr. Mohib. N. Durrani
Islamic Amateur Astronomers
(Research Division)
601 West 113 Street, Suite 11K
Columbia University
New York, N.Y. 10025

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 89 14:59:16 EST
From: Tal Wyatt (HDL) <twyatt@BRL.MIL>
Subject: Response to Query on WordPerfect Scietific Programming

Gordon Marwood asked about an add-on to WordPerfect for scientific word
processing.  We just ordered it.  It's called "EXACT" and adds on to most
of the common word processors, including WordPerfect, WordStar 2000 (which
we used the demo disk on -- worked nicely -- inf fact, it's the best thing
I've seen), etc.  We ordered it from

     Technical Support Software Inc.
     72 Kent Street
     Brookline, Mass 02146
     (617) 734-4130

for about $500 a copy.  LaserJet drivers, EXACT-to-TeX translator, and
soft font kit are another $100  extra apiece.

We have had several decent scientific text editors (T3, Brit) but none of
us technical types wanted to learn how to use them -- too much trouble.
Plus we don't have a typist, especially one who was willing to do our
tech- nical stuff.

This package looked just about right for us.  We'll see.

Tal Wyatt, twyatt@adm.brl.mil

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 89 13:38:33 MEZ
From: Erich Neuwirth <A4422DAB%AWIUNI11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: TurboPascal problems

Larry Bradley writes about problems using TurboPascal 4.0 units with
version 5.0 of the same compiler. The manual explicitly states that the
TPU formats are incompatible. So there is no known way (at least and the
moment and for me) to use utility modules for 4.0 under 5.0 Quite a lot of
nice software is available from SIMTEL, but we have to hope and wait for
the authors who only supplied us with the TPUs to upload the new versions.
For me this is proof of a fact: If you are willing to donate modules (not
full programs) to the public domain you also should donate the source
code. This can avoid lots of problems for lots of people.

ERICH NEUWIRTH
A4422DAB  at  AWIUNI11   in   BITNET
Intitute for Statistics and Computer Science
University of Vienna
Universitaetsstr. 5/9
A-1010 VIENNA, Austria

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 89 13:16:18 pst
From: Robert A. Lerche <ral@rlg-rt.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Re: int 21(h) problem (DOS Reentrancy)

(In answer to NORBERT WINGENDER, P180404%DBORUB01.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU)

A major problem with DOS is that it is not reentrant.  Thus, if some
program running is in a DOS call, an interrupt occurs (and your interrupt
routine is given control), and your interrupt routine then tries to call
DOS, results are unpredictable.

Many solutions to this problem have been developed; there was a long
discussion of the formerly-undocumented "INDOS" flag that went on in
info-IBMPC.

The authoritative description of what to do about this can be found in the
MS-DOS Encyclopedia from Microsoft Press (published in 1988).  It goes
into great detail about how to write (for example) pop-up programs which
can call DOS safely.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 89 14:22:52 PST
From: "Alan Ariel" <1052P@CC.NPS.NAVY.MIL>
Subject: Checking on new files at Simtel20

I just thought I'd submit a technique I've been using to check on new
files at SIMTEL.  For those of you on IBM mainframes with Xedit, FTP the
file pd1:<msdos>files.idx.  Then Xedit the file.  On the command line, use
the ALL command to locate the newest files.  For example, ALL /8901/ will
show only the lines with 8901 in them, which for the most part will be all
of the files put into the SIMTEL archives during January 1989.  You can
also use all to look at a directory.  ALL /msdos.filedocs/ will show you
all of the entries in the pd1:<msdos.filedocs> directory.  I hope someone
finds this useful.

Alan D. Ariel                               BITNET: 1052P@NAVPGS
LT        USN                               DDN:    1052P@CC.NPS.NAVY.MIL
SMC 1624                                    (or)    LEEKW@A.ISI.EDU
Naval Postgraduate School                   Tel:    (408) 646-2786
Monterey, CA 93943                          AV:     878-2786

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------