Date: Sat, 14 Jan 89 12:07:57 PST
From: JAJZ801%CALSTATE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU  (JEFFREY SICHERMAN -
CALSTATE LONG BEACH)
Subject: Archive programs

This is somewhat of an open letter to PK and others contemplating
archiving and dearchiving utilities:

   I, like many others I am sure, use these programs to save copies of
various digests while minimizing disk(ette) consumption. Since space is
limited on diskettes after the archive gets to a certain size (i.e. about
half the disk capacity) I must copy it to the hard disk to update and then
back. It would be nice if there was an APPEND to the end capability even
if it meant not-so-efficient directory access or other operations. For
archives that are rarely accessed this is not so important; ease (and
speed) of update is.  Also, since I occasionally need to search these
archives for articles on specific topics, I first have to extract the
archive and then use a text search program on them. This is slow(er),
wasteful, and wearing (of me and my disk). It would be very nice if a text
scan capability was built in without extracting first. There should be at
least three options: (1) list files containing one or more occurrences of
scan string, (2) extract files containing the string, (3) view files
containing the string with an optional query to extract (i.e.  extract to
console and then ask if to file also).

  Jeff Sicherman

P.S. To any offended parties: Please excuse any unauthorized uses
                              of the A-word in the message above.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Jan 1989  04:02 MST
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Comprehensive documentation and instructions for DSZ

Now available via standard anonymous FTP from Simtel20:

Filename            Type  Bytes     CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.ZMODEM>
ZDOC0108.ARC             BINARY     29581  BC1DH

This is a comprehensive discussion, from the user's viewpoint, of Chuck
Forsberg's DSZ modem program.  It gives complete descriptions of all the
options and includes many examples of usage.

Very impressive!

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the CP/M & MSDOS archives at wsmr-simtel20.army.mil
[26.0.0.74]
DDN: w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-
simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jan 89 15:08:20 CET
From: BENNING%DMRHRZ11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Graphics Conversion

Ventura Publisher (Ver 1.2) or similar Publishing Programms allow to
read graphics in many different formats and save in different formats.
To convert Harvard Graphics to Gem-Draw read HG graphics in the publishin
program and save in Gem format.

Axel

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 89 10:03:24 PLT
From: Wim Bonner <27313853%WSUVM1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: EMS Ramdisk Support in DOS 4.0

The Ramdisk (vdisk) that comes with PC Dos 4.0 supports EMS Memory.

I have used earlier versions of MS DOS which came with support for EMS,
but previous versions of PCdos only supported normal, and Extended memory.

Wim Bonner  Bitnet:27313853@WSUVM1  Compuserve:72561,3135  (King-Rat)
The Loft - (509)335-7407 - 300/1200/2400 - 24hrs/day - PCboard 12.1/d
Acknowledge-To: <27313853@WSUVM1>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 89 15:13:09 SET
From: RECK%DBNUAMA1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: MapView 2.0 - viewing programme for world map files

Now available via standard anonymous ftp from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL:

Filename            Type  Bytes     CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.WORLDMAP>
MAPVU20.ARC              BINARY    249389  652DH

MAPVIEW 2.0  --  Overview

MapView is a package to view John Allison's world map files interactively
or in an automated fashion. Four different projection methods are
provided, and zooming can be done in one of two ways.  Commands can either
be entered from the keyboard or taken from command files, and map files
can be grouped together conveniently. Screen images may be hardcopied or
saved to disk. Colouring is supported.

Two utilities to view pictures saved to disk are provided; series of
pictures may be displayed slide-show-like.

Two more utilities allow pre-processing of files to optimize either
execution speed or disk space used.

The programmes are written in TurboPascal 5.0; full sources are provided.
The programme runs on a variety of display adapters.  Coprocessors are
also supported (after recompilation only).

The package is published as freeware.

Gisbert W.Selke  <RECK@DBNUAMA1.BITNET>
Ermekeilstrasse 28
D-5300 Bonn 1
West Germany

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 89 21:42 EST
From: REILLY@wharton.upenn.edu
Subject: Old XT and 20MB disk - new BIOS or driver needed

   I have an XT 370 to which a 20MB Seagate drive has been added.  The
format program worked (it was IBM's), but FDISK believes the disk is only
10MB.  The BIOS is dated Monday, November 8, 1982

   My guess is that this is the old BIOS which doesn't have a drive type
for a disk this large.  My solution was to call IBM to get a new BIOS
chip.  Ha!  You can't buy them from IBM.

   This leads to my next solution - getting a driver which will act like a
D: for the remaining 10MB.  In the days of old, when there were more of
these types of problems, I saw numerous offers of this type of software.
A scan through SIMTEL produced no joy.  Does anyone have pointers to such
software?  Or a place to get a BIOS chip?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 89 21:53:56 MST
From: Gregory Hicks <GHICKS@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

I have a plain, vanilla IBM PC/XT with a BIOS dated the same as yours.  I
also have a 20mb Tandon (purchased in 1984) and a 40mb Seagate attached.
The controller is an Everex Controller that handles both.

When I wanted to upgrade by adding the 40mb drive, I contacted Everex
(international phone call) and found that I needed a controller ROM
upgrade.  They mailed me one for $15.  The sales person that helped me
said that the drive tables on the controller needed to be updated and told
me how to strap the board.

You might try contacting the manufacturer of the controller board and see
if they have an upgrade to the ROM on the board...  The problem is NOT the
BIOS.  The Everex controller thought both drives were 20mb each.

Another idea:  Check and see if there are moveable jumpers on the board.
The Everex board has a jumper across pins 4 (upper and lower) for drive
one (C:) on the header located in the middle of the board about 1" from
the back.  If you have an Everex controller, look at the ROM located on
the lower half of the board about 2" from the back and in the middle of
the edge connector.  Should be Version 3.91 or later (printed on a
stick-on label on the ROM).

I said "across pins 4 (upper and lower)" above.  Depends on how the board
is oriented.  If the edge connector is on your left, then it's upper and
lower.  Otherwise, it's right and left.

Good luck.
Regards,
Gregory Hicks

No, I have no connection with Everex other than as a satisified customer.

[An additional thought came to me after I sent this message.  In order to
get the two disks to low-level format properly, I had to do each one
individually.  (Ie, I had to disconnect the other drive so that there was
only one drive connected to the controller.  --gph]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jan 89 0:21:30 EST
From: Brendan Reilly <reilly@fi.edu>
Subject: Old XT and 20MB disk - new BIOS or driver

Thanks.  It's an IBM controller, and IBM disavors (actually, won't sell
over IBM Direct) any parts for the PC line...

I'll try to get info on a controller upgrade/replacement from a third
party.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 89 11:45:49 CST
From: GARY SAMEK <C133GES%UTARLVM1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: PD Calcomp routines

Hello pc'ers,
  I am very interested in obtaining files that would serve as an interface
for higher level languages (on personal computers) and a calcomp plotter.
I would prefer that the files be from public domain, and that the source
be supplied, but the priority is to get something that works.  I
appreciate your responses.

Gary Samek
  Bitnet  C133GES@UTARLVM1
  Telnet  C133GES@UTARLG
  Arpanet C133GES@UTARLG.ARLINGTON.TEXAS.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 89 09:41:14 CST
From: Don Branson <C08922DB%WUVMD.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Shareware Questionaire

I am interested in finding out some things about users of shareware, and
would like to take a survey. Please mail your answers to directly to me,
and I will summarize to the list. The more people respond, the more mean-
ingful the result will be. The primary reason for doing this is to find
out what percentage of users of shareware pay for what they use.  If you
have any hesitation about answering, let me say that I will not use these
results for prosecution purposes. Here are the questions:

1) How and when did you become aware of shareware?
2) How many shareware packages do you use?
3) How many of these have you registered?
4) How many of these do you intend to register at a later date?
5) What do you see as your reasons for not registering?

Thanks in advance for your answers to this survey.
Don

[And if you have any hesitation about answering this, send me your answers
and I'll summarize for Mr Branson and forward consolidated answers to him.
--gph]

------------------------------

Date: Thursday, 5 January 1989  12:23-MST
From: "Karl-L. Noell" <NOELL%DWIFH1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Shareware Tutorials uploaded to Simtel20

Some time ago I got CTUTOR from the SIMTEL archive.  It's really a *very*
good shareware tutorial and therefor I paid my contribution to the author
Gordon Dodrill (Coronado Enterprises).  Thereupon I got further tutorials
(texts and program exercises) which I found very recommendable too.  Here
is the list of files I have sent to Simtel20:

 Simtel directory      Text             Exercises

pd1:<msdos.modula-2> MOD2TXT.ARC       MOD2SRC.ARC           Modula-2
pd1:<msdos.c>        GENCTXT.ARC       GENCSRC.ARC           Generic C
pd1:<msdos.turbo-c>  TRBOCTXT.ARC      TRBOCSRC.ARC          Turbo-C
pd1:<msdos.pascal>   PASCTXT.ARC       PASCSRC.ARC           Pascal

Greetings.
Karl
fhw - Dept. of Comp. Science
Wiesbaden, W.Germany

------------------------------

Date: 13 January 1989 19:06:31 CST
From: Chris M.W. Daft   <CDAFT@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Tandy 4000 and Toshiba drive problem

I have a Tandy 4000 with a Tandy 1.44 MB floppy + hard drive, and I
recently bought the Toshiba AT-compatible 1.2 MB floppy for it. I can't
get this drive to work, and the pathology is strange. It reads the first
disk you put in with no trouble at all. As soon as you switch disks, it
gives a General faliure error. The jumpers are in the factory
configuration, and the cable is fine.

We have another Tandy 4000 with exactly the same problem, and a Tandy 3000
with a slightly older model (also Toshiba AT) which has no problems.

Any comments or solutions are *most* welcome. Tandy use Mitsubishi
floppies, but I can't believe there is a compatibility problem with these
largely generic items.

Chris Daft, cdaft@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu, cdaft@uiucvmd

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 89 10:26 N
From: <PAAI%HTIKUB5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: windows

Recently I got a book "SMALL-WINDOWS", in which a window-library for
turboC was described. In the preface was stated that the accompanying disk
with sources and code could be freely copied and given away.  However the
disk belonging to this book was probably lost somewhere between the USA
and Holland.

Is there somebody out there, who has this diskette and would
mail/send/shoot or bring it to me?

Hans Paijmans

PAAI@HTIKUB5.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jan 89 11:42 EST
From: <J9N%PSUARCH.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Zenith's and RLL

Has anyone had any luck trying to get an RLL drive to work on a Zenith PC?
I have a Zenith 148 with a Seagate 238R 30M RLL disk and am having all
types of compatibility problems with it.  Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff Nucciarone,
CAC Penn State University.

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------