Date: Tue, 17 Jan 89 00:53:55 CST
From: ZRCC1001%SMUVM1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Archived Digests

Can you send me these issues: 7:53,57,58,62,64?  May those of us on the
BITNET side also hope that the archived digests will be placed on the
RPICICGE file server?

[The issues you've requested are on their way.  Regarding "placing them on
the RPICICGE server", the files 'really' are not placed there at all
(unless of course, they get requested...  Shortly, I hope to be able to
tell everyone where to find the archived issues of the Digest.  We're
working on it and I'll keep you posted.  gph]

Many thanks.

Robin Cover
zrcc1001@smuvm1.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16-JAN-1989 09:11  +0100
From: "UBMJS2::RMEYER"  <U0018%DGOGWDG5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Assembler question

>So my questions are:
>
>How many cycles does each of the following two instruction need on an
>8088, 8086, 80286 and 80386. The two instructions are
>
>ADD    AX,BX
>MUL    AX,BX

            8086/8088         80286     80386

ADD AX,BX      3                2         2
MUL BX      113-118            21       9-22

(you can find this in Microsoft Macro Assembler 5.1, Reference)

Reinhold Meyer
Abt. Forstliche Biometrie u. Informatik
Buesgenweg 5
D-3400 Goettingen
BITNET: U0018@DGOGWDG5

------------------------------

Date: Mon 16 Jan 89 12:40:56-PST
From: Paul Andrews <CABELL.ANDREWS@BIONET-20.BIO.NET>
Subject: Directory utility

Looking for a Directory utility:

      I recently inherited a PC with a 40 meg drive....the problem is that
the files are all over the place and a lot of them are duplicates.   Does
any one know of a utility that will allow me to compare the contents of a
flagged directory with one (or more) other directories and delete the
duplicate files in these other directorie(s).  Thanks in advance..

               Paul Andrews.................

Paul Andrews                      #  EMAIL:CABELL.ANDREWS@BIONET-20.BIO.NET
                                  #       :CABELL.ANDREWS@[128.92.192.5]
University of Texas at Austin     #  Phone: (512) 471-1731,471-3659
College of Pharmacy               #
Division of Medicinal Chemistry   #
Austin, Texas, USA
78712

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Jan 1989  01:00 MST
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: DSZ updated again

DSZ has been updated again.  No bug fix, just more features.  Wouldn't
it be nice if we had this kind of support for commercial programs?

Filename            Type  Bytes     CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.ZMODEM>
DSZ0113.ARC              BINARY     83968  75BCH  <--COM version
DSZ0113X.ARC             BINARY     46168  713CH  <--EXE version

--Keith

------------------------------

Date: 13 Jan 89 23:09:49 DNT (Fri)
From: mcvax!ambone.ambra.dk!rsd@uunet.UU.NET (Roger Dornan)
Subject: Expanding the IBM PC-XT motherboard memory to 896K

>Now available via standard anonymous FTP from Simtel20:

>Filename            Type  Bytes     CRC

>Directory PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>
>896K-MEM.MOD             ASCII       9654  6191H

>Here are some excerpts:

>Well, it's been done.  It works!  It's easy!  It involves no soldering
>or modifications to the motherboard except replacing socketed chips --
>and it's cheap!  ...

It sounds like you have access to low price memory. Here in Denmark this
is not the case - and I would like to add some 1.5 megabytes to my vectra.
So - please inform me of prices over there.  You can reach me at
rsd@ambra.dk Regards  Roger

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16-JAN-1989 08:58  +0100
From: "UBMJS2::RMEYER"  <U0018%DGOGWDG5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: int 21(h) problem

>If I try to call (PC-)DOS interrupt 21(h), esp. function 48(h)
>(reserve RAM space) from an interrupt service routine, why, o why does it
>work one time and fail another?

I don't know, what kind of interrupt service routine you use, but I
think there are 3 reasons for the things do describe:

  1) You use a timer service routine, the program itself needs lot of time
     ( more than 1/18.2 sec ), so on the next entry to your routine
     the last call has not completed and the code is no reentrant. try
     something like:

     service_routine_starts_here:
               push    ...           ; save registers
               mov al,active
               cmp al,1
               je do_nothing         ; we are still active, so do nothing
                                     ; queue request etc.
               mov al,1              ; we are not active
               mov active,al         ; set active flag

               code for int

     processing_ready:
               mov al,0                   ; ready
               mov active,al              ; reset active flag
               pop ...                    ; restore registers
               jmp dword ptr org_int_off  ; chain to original int

  2) DOS is active is the moment you call INT 21h. You should test if
     an INT 21h is active, when you want to call INT 21h again.

  3) You didn't save all registers used by your program and by INT 21h

Date: 17 Jan 89 15:36:11 GMT
From: "D.J. Murdoch - Statistics"
<dmurdoch%watdcsu.waterloo.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Looking for X Windows server for DOS

The January issue of Byte talks about X Windows, the windowing system from
MIT. I've used it on Unix, and thought that was the only place it ran, but
it's supposed to be a general purpose windowing system, and servers for it
can be written on any machine with a bitmapped screen.

Does anyone know if there is a server written to run under Microsoft Win-
dows, or under DOS in some other way?  It seems a natural feature for a
Windows terminal emulator.

(A previous version of this request in comp.windows.ms elicited two sug-
gestions: Locus Computing and Bell Technologies, both in California.  I
haven't heard from them yet about the details of their products.)

------------------------------

Date: 17 Jan 89 11:48:07 EDT
From: RSPELLMAN@BAT.Bates.EDU
Subject: PL/I Compiler for the 8088

I know that Digital Research *used* to make a PL/I compiler that would
run on the IBM PC.  I don't know if they do anymore.

            --Rob

------------------------------

Date: 17-JAN-1989 09:57:24 GMT
From: ZDEE676%ELM.CC.KCL.AC.UK@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: VGA graphics boards.

I have a question about VGA graphics boards :  Can you run software
written for CGA graphics or text modes with VGA adapters, and does this
include directly writting to memory at seg 0xB800 ?

- John Burton -
(zdee676@uk.ac.kcl.cc.elm)
(zdee676%uk.ac.kcl.cc.elm@ukacrl from bitnet , I think.)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16-JAN-1989 09:17  +0100
From: "UBMJS2::RMEYER"  <U0018%DGOGWDG5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Wierd Behaviour of AUTOEXEC.BAT

>His file was indeed called AUTOEXEC.BAT (no control characters in the
>filename (:-)) in the root directory and all commands in there were valid.
>CONFIG.SYS contained a SHELL=C:\SYSTEM\BIN\COMMAND.COM line (so
>COMMAND.COM was NOT in the root directory).
>
>I tried moving AUTOEXEC.BAT in the same directory as COMMAND.COM and it
>would still not execute. Then I removed the SHELL=... line from
>CONFIG.SYS, moved COMMAND.COM to root and re-booted. It worked.

If you want to use
SHELL=C:\directory\COMMAND.COM
for the primary COMMAND.COM you must use the /P switch thusly:
SHELL=C:\directory\COMMAND.COM /P

Reinhold Meyer
Abt. Forstliche Biometrie u. Informatik
Buesgenweg 5