Date: Tue,  17 Jan 89 17:44 +0200
From: Kaspi Natan (7117) <KASPI%HUJIMD.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Keyboard ISR Problem

>From: mcvax!geocub.greco-prog.fr!anthes@uunet.UU.NET (Franklin Anthes)
>
>  Now the problem:
>
>void interrupt (*temp)();
>
>void interrupt dummy(void)
>{} /* do nothing interrupt routine */
>
>void disactivate(void)
>{
> temp=getvect(9); /* save old interrupt routine */
> setvect(9,dummy); /* do nothing when keyboard interrupt happens */
>}
>
>void activate(void)
>{
> setvect(9,temp); /* use regular keyboard interrupt routine */
>}
>
>  The problem is
>that this doesn't work.  The machine seems to lock up, if I hit a key when
>the keyboard is "disactivated".  If I hit keys only when the keyboard is
>activated, it seems to work for a while, and then the program locks up
mysteriously, in the middle of nowhere!  The sequence of calls is:
>  disactivate();
>  activate();
>  disactivate();

  The problem is with the dummy ISR you install, this routine can't just
do nothing! When there's a KBD hardware interrupt _ IRQ1 _ the 8259 int
controller exhibit it to the CPU which process  it through the int 9H in-
terrupt which after being done must send End Of Interrupt _EOI_ to the
8259, if not the controller will continue exhibiting the same hardware int
to the CPU, which actually hang the system up.  So the remedy will be :

#define   EOI          0x20
#define   _8259CNTRLR  0x20
void interrupt dummy (void)
{
  outportb ( _8259CNTRLR, EOI); /* SEND EOI TO 8259 */
}

** Yet better solution is to disable the KBD hardware interrupt at the
8259 gate. Here's the trick : set  the IRQ1 bit -KBD INT- in the 8259 I/O
register at 21H.

void disable (void)
{
   outportb ( 0x21, (inportb(0x21)  2);
 /* this will set bit 1 -and only that bit- of the 8259 IO register,
    thus disableingh keyboard interrupt, to enable them again call enable
*/
}

void enable (void)
{
   outportb ( 0x21, (inportb(0x21) & 0xFD)); /* FD will zero bit 1 of IO
reg */
}

      MuHammad S. Zahalqa
  Hebrew Uni. - Hadassah medical school
  BITNET Zahalqa_M@hujimd

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Jan  12:16:54 1989
From: pegasus!psrc@att.att.com
Subject: Editors written in Pascal

The simplest text editor you'll find for Turbo Pascal is Borland's Turbo
Pascal Editor Toolbox.  This includes the "Binary Editor", an assembler
language module (source not included) that's the basis for the Turbo
language integrated editors, Pascal source for First Ed (a text editor),
and Pascal source for MicroStar (a word processor similar to WordStar).
List price $100; $68 from Programmer's Connection, 216-494-3781,
800-336-1166 (U.S.), 800-225-1166 (Canada), 7249 Whipple Ave. NW, North
Canton, OH, 44720.

PC-Write is written in Microsoft Pascal (because the author's previous
project was *writing* the Pascal compiler for Microsoft) and assembler.
When you register (for $89), you're entitled to two free updates; one can
be used to get the source code for the current version of PC-Write.  Note
that PC-Write itself is shareware, but the source code is not.  Quicksoft,
206-282-0452, 219 First North #224 Seattle, WA, 98109.

Paul S. R. Chisholm, psrc@pegasus.att.com (formerly psc@lznv.att.com)
AT&T Bell Laboratories, att!pegasus!psrc, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.  I have no
connection with Borland, Quicksoft, or Programmer's Connection except
as a satisfied customer.

------------------------------

Date: 17 January 1989 18:08:45 CST
From: "Michael J. Steiner  " <U23405@UICVM.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject:  Questions about communications software...

I currently have copies of YTERM and KERMIT for the PC, but recently I
have heard of other programs related to communications, such as XMODEM and
ZMODEM.  Are these programs all similar? Do you think that having YTERM
and KERMIT is enough for most communications applications?

I found out about these other communications programs when I started
transferring files from SIMTEL20, so I'm talking about all the communica-
tions programs available from there. Since it takes a while to transfer
and download the stuff, I don't want to be messing with any files that are
only marginally useful.

Any help would be appreciated.              Thanks in advance,

                                            Michael Steiner
                                            Email: U23405@UICVM.BITNET

------------------------------

Date:       Wed, 18 Jan 89 01:08:25 GMT
From:       u87rpb@PRG.OXFORD.AC.UK
Subject:    TRICKLE and JANET Information Available

   For users on JANET (UK) who intend using the TRICKLE servers (or have
already tried and failed) I have just compiled a document detailing the
use of the TRICKLE servers. This document also outlines the details of the
character swapping and multiple copy quirks.

   This file will be sent on request to JANET users, and if sufficient
interest is generated, I will post it on this board. Anybody who asks for
the document will automatically receive updates as I write them, as and
when I find out more details on their use.

    Ray Bellis

JANET:        <u87rpb@uk.ac.oxford.prg>
EARN/BITNET:    <u87rpb%prg.oxford.ac.uk@ukacrl>
INTER/ARPANET:    <u87rpb%prg.oxford.ac.uk@cuny.cunyvm.edu>

------------------------------

Date:     Wed, 18 Jan 89 13:04 EST
From:     <BRUCEH@UTKVX1>
Subject:  Low Level Format for PS/2 hard disks Query

On the older PC's (ie XT and AT) you could do a low level format with a
couple of DEBUG commands.  Does anyone know how to do this on the PS/2-
30, 50, 60, 80 machines?

Thanks,

Bruce Harrison
Univ. of Tenn. at Martin
Computer Center
Martin, TN  38238

BRUCEH@UTKVX  (bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1989  00:14 MST
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Freemacs 1.5d text editor release available from SIMTEL20

Date: Tue,  17 Jan 89 11:27:22 +0200
From: David Leiser <KDBG100%BGUNOS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: MasterKey 1.7 Query

A few weeks ago someone (kirshbaum? <kirsch@braggvax.arpa>) announced that
some files were redundant, as newer versions with another name had been
added. One of these was MasterKey1.7 (mstrk17 I suppose) which was
superseded by something called pmk- something.

I copied the info, and lost it.
1. What is the new file version -- if you could let me know
2. More generally, is there a way for me to rummage in the
archive to find out such things on my own?  [Information has been sent.]

Many thanks
David Leiser Dept of Behavioral Sciences
Beer Sheva 84120     ISRAEL
leiser @ bengus.bitnet

         ** David **

------------------------------

Date: 17 Jan 89 16:42:30 PST (Tuesday)
From: "George_C._Burkitt.ElSegundo"@Xerox.COM
Subject: Keyboard Losing Characters Question

>From:     <HAMMERR@IUBACS.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
>the first character I enter *doesn't* register

Possibly the AC power is noisy.

[Or perhaps the keyboard is getting 'tired'.  I've had the problem of
having the keyboard 'bouncing' and sending multiple characters to the CPU.
Old keyboard (also poor construction...)  I've also had the keyboard
ignore keys that are frequently used.  Again, old keyboard.  I've had to
replace it in each case.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: WED JAN 18, 1989 15.01.49 EST
From: "JIM KAUFFMAN" <JWK0%LEHIGH.BITNET@IBM1.CC.Lehigh.Edu>
Subject: SIMTEL20 Access

     I've been trying for several days to FTP some PD files from SIMTEL20
to a VMS VAX.  I can login (as ANONYMOUS) with no problem.  I type my ID
(... deleted, but valid) at the PASSWORD prompt, to which the system
*always* responds "Too many ANONYMOUS users at this time...etc." and then
closes the connection.

     Am I doing something wrong, or is the server just incredibly busy
these days?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim Kauffman
Lehigh University
Bethlehem, PA
USA

[The FTP server at WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL has a finite number of ports.
The message you're getting indicates that the server is fully utilized.
(The message you're getting is similar to calling a number on the
telephone and getting a 'busy' signal.)  The only advice I can give is to
keep trying.  Eventually, you'll get through and be able to grab the files
you want.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 89 22:04 PST
From: "Henry W. Miller" <HMILLER%SCU.BITNET@jade.berkeley.edu>
Subject: time() function

> I am working on a program that uses the Microsoft C (5.0) time() func-
>tion.  I believe it is giving the wrong result. ...

David,
        The function is not broken, I assure you.  I have used it in many
programs.  You state you are using MSC 5.0.  Please refer to page 613 of
the Run Time Library Reference, on the use of the time() function.  The
time() function is using the timezone variable, as explained in the
tzset() function (page 618) to "normalize", if you will, the timezone in
relation to GMT.

        From your description, it seems that you are trying to find out
what the day and date are.  There is an easier way to do this.  Use the
localtime() function (page 391).

-HWM

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 89 18:42:50 CST
From: david@wubios.WUstl.EDU (David J. Camp)
Subject: time() works properly

     I recently posted a note complaining about the behavior of the time()
function.  I got a nice note from Steve Salisbury of Microsoft which
helped me understand my problem.  I had not realized, because I had not
read the manual carefully, that time() returns Greenwich Mean Time, not
local time.  I had to use the formula 'time()-timezone' to get local time.
Thanks to Steve for helping me with this problem.

-David-

Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wucs1!wubios!david          v      660 South Euclid
Washington University Medical School               Saint Louis, MO 63110

------------------------------

Date: 18 Jan 89 17:04:40 EST (Wednesday)
From: Herloski.Wbst@Xerox.COM
Subject: Use of LISTSERV

I have figured out how to talk to the LISTSERVer and the SIMTEL20
archives, however, I am not sure about:

(1) whether or not there is a file that contains an index of all the
archived files (files.idx or something like that?), and

[The file you want to grab is PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX.  This is a list of ALL
the files available at Simtel20.  For more information on the files at
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL, grab the file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME...
gph]

(2) the proper syntax to specify the age of the file.

Do you have an introductory manual or file I can get that gives some of
this information?  E.G., I tried:  /PDDIR PD1:<MSDOS.C>* 9999, expecting
to get a listing of ALL files not older that 9999 days, but got the
default age of < 30 days instead.  Thanks.

-- Bob

[The following message from Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
should explain it all.  It's also the file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME
gph]

------------------------------

Date: Sunday, January 8, 1989
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: WSMR-SIMTEL20 File Description

Simtel20, the following should provide the requested information:

  A list of all files in the <msdos> archives is contained in directory
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS> as follows:

NODESCR.IDX contains a listing of those files that do not have a discrip-
     tion.

SIMCVT.BAS is a BASICA/GWBASIC program to convert SIMIBM.IDX to a human-
     readable text file.

SIMIBM.HDR contains a PC-File+ database header for use with SIMIBM.IDX.

SIMIBM.IDX contains a listing of all files that have a one line descrip-
     tion.  SIMIBM.IDX (updated monthly) is automatically created by
     taking the latest FILES.IDX (updated daily) and comparing it against
     a combined list of current files on several BBS systems.

Also available:

FILDIF.ARC a program for comparing a previous copy of PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX
     with a new copy.  It displays files added and deleted since you got an
     older index.  This is useful if you are trying to maintain an archive
     in sync with SIMTEL20.  It can generate output scripts for batch FTP
     processing.

SIMIBM.ARC contains the latest SIMIBM.HDR, SIMIBM.IDX, AAAREAD.ME (this
     file), SIMCVT.BAS, SIMIBM.DB3 (information on how to use the index
     with dBASEIII), and SIMIBM.INF (explains the fields in the index).

PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.ARC is updated at approximately one month inter-
     vals (more frequently, time permitting).

PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX is updated on a daily basis (sometimes several times
     a day when a lot of new files are uploaded).  This file is a comma-
     delimited file, suitable for importing into PC-File+ or DBase III.

It's impossible to make a daily updated list with descriptions with the
quantity of new programs available.  We average about 200 new files per
month.

--Keith

[Hope this helps...  gph]

End of Info-IBMPC Digest