Date: Thu, 19 Jan 89 11:40 MST
From: Jerry Crow <JCrow@PCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM>
Subject: AUTOEXEC.BAT Problem

Re:  Wierd Behaviour of AUTOEXEC.BAT

S Triantafyllopoulos writes:

     I  stumbled  on  this one when a friend told me his PS/2 Model 50 with
     IBM  PC-DOS  3.3  would not execute AUTOEXEC.BAT upon booting from the
     hard drive.  It would just boot and come up with

     His  file was indeed called AUTOEXEC.BAT (no control characters in the
     filename  (:-))  in  the root directory and all commands in there were
     valid.   CONFIG.SYS  contained  a SHELL=C:\SYSTEM\BIN\COMMAND.COM line
     (so COMMAND.COM was NOT in the root directory).

     I  tried  moving AUTOEXEC.BAT in the same directory as COMMAND.COM and
     it  would  still not execute.  Then I removed the SHELL=...  line from
     CONFIG.SYS, moved COMMAND.COM to root and re-booted.  It worked.

     My question: is this a BUG or a FEATURE?

A feature, I guess.  The SHELL= directive is missing the "/P" switch which
signifies that this invocation of COMMMAND.COM is to be permanent and the
"EXIT" command is to be ignored.  When this flag is used, COMMAND.COM will
also execute AUTOEXEC.BAT; or, more in line with your question, it will
*not* execute AUTOEXEC.BAT unless this switch is present.

Jerry Crow

JCrow@PCO-Multics.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 89 22:38:30 est
From: rong@cwsys2.CWRU.EDU (Rong Chen)
Subject: dostex availibility

I want to get the dos version TEX via ftp from wsmr-simtel20.army.mil, but
I plan to do this some time in the near future, I estimated that it will
take about 15 hrs.  My question is how long do you keep the arc files of
dos TEX program in there?  If it is only available for certain time,
please e-mail me the info so that I can hurry up.

Thanks in advance.

Rong

[How long do we keep the files around?  Until someone comes up with a
newer version, or enough people (generally one) complain that there's a
destructive bug in the program.  There may be other guidelines, but I'll
let Keith answer in more detail.  You should have enough time to get the
file... gph]

------------------------------

Date: 20 January 1989, 11:28:17 GMT
From: OEBL8748%TREARN.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject:  RDBMS Information Wanted

   Hello all...
      We here in Aegean Univ. at Turkey, are looking for a software
package about relational database management system. It must be for IBM
PCs or compatibles. And it must be able to be used used from high level
programming languages as a embedded style. Thanx in advance...

Note: Please send me direct msgs.

-Bulent 'BamBam' Dokumcu   OEBL8748 @ TREARN

------------------------------

Date:     Thu, 12 Jan 89 21:16:56 -0900
From:     Robyn Robertson <GSRLR%ALASKA.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: 386 List around?

Can anybody direct me to a list for IBM PS/2 386 machines?  Also, can I be
directed to a public domain software pagage that will allow me true multi-
tasking with multiple concurrent DOS regions?

Please respond to me directly.

                                Robyn Robertson
                                BITNET: GSRLR@ALASKA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 89 16:25:24 EST
From: reid@goofy.ctc.contel.com (Tom Reid)
Subject: graphical tools

I would like to prototype a graphical CASE tool (dataflow diagram like)
using either turbo pascal or modula-2.  Are there any packages available
to display and/or print circles, arcs, lines, arrow-heads, etc. that would
be kept and manipulated as data structures rather than bit images?  Is
there a "how-to" article on how to engineer a graphical iconic editor?
Thanks in advance.

Tom Reid, Contel Technology Center, Fairfax, VA, (703)359-7944

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 89 21:35:08 CST
From: pool@antares.mcs.anl.gov
Subject: Hypertext on IBM PS/2

I would appreciate information on the availability of hypertext systems
analogous to Apple's HyperCard on IBM PS/2 Systems.

J. Pool
Drexel University
Philadelphia, PA 19104

215-895-2668

pool@apollo.drexel.edu

[PC MAGAZINE recently ran an article on 'HyperText' systems for the IBM PC
and compatibles.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: 19 Jan 89 09:21:46 PST (Thursday)
From: "George_C._Burkitt.ElSegundo"@Xerox.COM
Subject: Formatting 2S2D disks in HD Drive

> If I format a 2S/2D disk on a 1.2 MB drive, specifying to format it as
360 K >using 40 tracks, will this work?  Will I be able to use it
interchangeably in a >360 K drive?

If you tell the computer via the install or setup program that the 1.2 MB
drive is a 360 KB drive,  it might accept that.

Don't know about other software,  but keep in mind that the HD drive uses
much narrower  write - read heads than does the 2D drive.   That can show
up as a read problem  if the HD disk is subsequently used on a 2D drive.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 89 12:33:57 EST
From: Ken Van Camp <kvancamp@ARDEC.ARPA>
Subject: Memory resident TEK (4014) driver ...

Martin,

 >we are looking for a memory resident TEK driver (4014 is good, 4105/07
 >would be better!) that can be loaded as device=... and which convertes TEK
 >escape sequences written to CON to a nice picture. Oh yes, EGA support
 >would be needed. Is there such a thing, commercial or PD?

Yes!  MicroPlot Systems puts out the "PlotDev Graphics Device Driver", and
my copy (version 1.20, May 1986) emulates a 4010, 4027, and VT-100 as a
device intercepting standard CON escape sequences.  There may have been
later releases, but I haven't kept up because I really haven't used the
program much.  I don't remember anymore what I paid for it, but I believe
it was under $100.  Here is their address:

MicroPlot Systems Co.
659-H Park Meadow Rd.
Westerville, OH  43081
(614)882-4786

What I have tried of it works well.

                            --Ken Van Camp
ARPANET:  kvancamp@PICA.ARMY.MIL -or- kvancamp@ARDEC.ARPA
BITNET:   (use above through normal gateways, like UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU)
USENET:   pica.army.mil!kvancamp@UUNET.UU.NET
       "Support your local maillist: Give to the March of Electrons"

------------------------------

Date: 19 Jan 89 11:41:31 PST (Thursday)
From: Wax.OsbuSouth@Xerox.COM
Subject: Non-Standard formatting of 360K disks

Does anyone have a program to format a 360K disk with 10 sectors instead
of 9, and if that is possible, do other PC's recognize the disk, or is it
only possible to read it with another program?

Allan Wax
Wax.OSBUSouth@Xerox.COM

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 89 08:10 EST
From: "Robin K. Juhl" <Juhl@DOCKMASTER.ARPA>
Subject: PL/I for IBM PC

Hi netlanders!

    ULGER@TRBOUN is in luck - I've seen a PL/I compiler from a firm called
Digital Research.  This was version 1.0 (or such) and it was copyrighted
in 1983; I hope they're still in business.

    That's all that I know about it, but I'm sure of it because the name
was embedded in the compiler.

Good Luck on your search!

Robin Juhl (Juhl@DOCKMASTER.ARPA)
"Violence never settles anything." - Genghis Kahn 1162-1227

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 89 09:58 CST
From: <JMUMPER%UMKCVAX1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Non-Standard formatting of 360K Diskettes

  1) Can a 1.2M drive format a diskette to 360K.

       Yes, but a normal 360K drive may not be able to read it.  I've run
into problems when transferring info from a 1.2M drive to a 360K.  If I
format the disk on the 1.2M drive, and write the information, the 360K
drive often can't read it.  However, if I format the diskette on the 360K
drive, and then write on it with the 1.2M drive, that works.  However,
when I do that, the 1.2M drive often doesn't recognize a full 360K
available on the diskette; a checkdisk with the 1.2M drive will show only
100K, or perhaps 204K, or any other figure, available.  Why this happens,
I don't know.

                                                  James

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 89 09:58 CST
From: <JMUMPER%UMKCVAX1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Deactivating SIMCGA

How does one de-activate SIMCGA without rebooting?

   The program SETMONO.COM should have been included with the ARC, along
with SETCGA.  SETMONO, of course, deactivates cga emulation, and SETCGA
re-activates it.  Dan: if you can't find SETMONO.COM anywhere, drop me a
line and I'll net you a copy.

                                                  James

 - I am not legally responsible for anything anyone would like me to be
   responsible for

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 89 22:18:30 EST
From: Steve_Barnard@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Toshiba Floppies in an AT

I recently ran into a similar problem with a Toshiba 1.2MB floppy and
found that there was a "pin 34" jumper that had to be shorted.  Something
to do with the disk-change signal difference between the XT and AT class
machines.

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------