Date: Mon, 23 Jan 89 13:34 EDT
From: <AC011021%YUVULCAN.BITNET@CORNELLC.ccs.cornell.edu>
Subject: Directory Utility

>Looking for a Directory utility:
>
>      I recently inherited a PC with a 40 meg drive....the problem is that
>the files are all over the place and a lot of them are duplicates.   Does
>any one know of a utility that will allow me to compare the contents of a
>flagged directory with one (or more) other directories and delete the
>duplicate files in these other directorie(s).  Thanks in advance..

Paul,

    You might want to try a program called "Treesurgeon".  It reads all
directories and checks all files.  It then lists the duplicates and allows
you to compare them before deciding to delete them.  I'm afraid it can get
tedious the first time if there are lots of duplicates, but it's worth it.
After that, it's a cinch to check every month or so to eliminate the
inevitable duplicates that always manage to sneak into hidden 'niches'.

Cheers,
Dave Klein
(Bitnet: AC011021@YUVULCAN)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 89 03:25:15 EST
From: David Boeshaar  (315) 443-3166 <BOESHAAR@SUVM.ACS.SYR.EDU>
Subject: DOS Environment Variable

Greetings from the frozen north!

I need some way of putting the current directory name into a DOS environment
variable. Something like CDIR=C:WORKACCT

Any ideas?????

   Dkb :)  "The buck stops here. And having stopped, passes on...."

   David K. Boeshaar    ACADEMIC COMPUTING SERVICES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY

------------------------------

Date: 23-JAN-1989 16:34:21 GMT
From: <MATHURLEY%CS8700.UCG.IE@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Ega registers

Can anybody tell me where the ega registers are stored in memory. I know video
memory is stored at a000 in 640x350 mode but I heard that this memory can not
be written to directly. What exactly do these registers do? Also does anybody
know using bios interrupt 10 how to access Amstrad PC1512 16-colour 640x200
graphics?

Paul Hurley,
U.C.G,
Ireland.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 89 18:35:19 EST
From: johnl@ima.ISC.COM (John R. Levine)
Subject: Formatting PS/2 disk

Microchannel PS/2's come with a reference diskette. Boot up from that
disk, and get to the menu where one of the options is "test the computer."
At this point type CTRL/A and (shazam) it will start up the advanced
utilities which includes the low-level disk formatters. Why IBM put this
important software on the disk but hid it in this silly way I'll never
understand. I suppose I should be grateful that they don't expect me to
pay $100 for diagnostics like they did on the XT and AT.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@ima.isc.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 89 10:22:59 EST
From: billc@prism.TMC.COM (Bill Callahan)
Subject: Batch File Question

> From: Erich Neuwirth <A4422DAB%AWIUNI11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
>
> I have a problem concerniing batch files.  I have written an istallation
> batch file which essentially has to copy files from 2 disks to a hard
> disk.
>
> [Erich then describes a method whereby he copies his batch file to the
> hard disk, runs it from there, then runs into problems when he tries to
> delete it.]
>
> ERICH NEUWIRTH
> A4422DAB  at  AWIUNI11   in   BITNET

I think that I understand your problem.  I was faced with a similar
situation not long ago.  I got by it in a slightly kludgey but nice way.
I wrote my batch file and put a copy of it on both floppies.  I then ran
it off the a: drive.  When the user switches diskettes, DOS resumes
operation transparently. (The switch takes place during a PAUSE command.)

If you don't trust that method, you can do it another way.  Write two
batch files, one for each floppy.  At the end of the first one, instead of
using the PAUSE command, tell the user to type CONTINUE to continue, and
have the batch file on the second floppy called CONTINUE.BAT.  It's less
elegant, but straight-forward.

Ultimately, the "right" way to do this is to write a program which you can
compile into an executable that will do all the copying with system calls.

Bill Callahan			 billc@mirror.TMC.COM
		{mit-eddie, pyramid, wjh12, xait, datacube}!mirror!billc
Mirror Systems
2067 Massachusetts Ave.		617\661-0777	x149
Cambridge, MA  02140

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 89 00:12:22 PLT
From: Wim Bonner <27313853%WSUVM1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Questions about communications

I Personally like to use Yterm for my connections with our IBM (CMS)
system, and Qmodem for my communications with everywhere else.  I have
been recommending Telix to most NEW users of Communications software, as
it supports automatic Zmodem (Zmodem is built in, and will automatically
start when you tell a bbs to send it to you)

Zcomm seemed more complicated to me when I tried it a couple of years ago,
and I have not taken the time to try it recently.  I tested a version of
the current version of telix (3.11) a couple of months ago.  That is the
basis of my recommendation, but I still prefer Qmodem.  Telix uses
compiled scripts, and as a consequence, the scripts run very fast.  Qmodem
cannot keep up while scripting at 2400bps on 4.77 mhz PC, so that may
influence you.

I tend to do a lot of file transfers, and so am constantly trying to get
the best transfer speed and reliability.  Zmodem is at the current leading
edge, and Kermit is still based on a 7 bit system.  Kermit does what is
needed, but when you have the ability to connect at 8 bits, Zmodem is as
fast as you can go, while kermit generally for me achieves only a 50%
effeciencey (speedwise)

(I run a BBS, so most of my experience is with BBS's.)

Wim Bonner  Bitnet:27313853@WSUVM1  Compuserve:72561,3135  (King-Rat)
The Loft - (509)335-7407 - 300/1200/2400 - 24hrs/day - PCboard 12.1/d
Acknowledge-To: <27313853@WSUVM1>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 89 18:00 N
From: <VDKOOIJ%HDETUD5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: intel 8080/8085 croscompiler wanted

We are looking for a croscompiler 8080/8085 to run on a IBM-compatble.
-Is there anybody who has experience with this kind of software
-If so were was it purchased (price?)

        We do not subscribe to this bulletin, so replay directly to

VDKOOIJ@HDETUD5, aad van der Kooij
                 Stralingsbeschermingsdienst (HEALTH PHYSICS DEPT)
                 Tech. UNI DELFT

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 89 17:53:06 CST
From: Dave Lacey <csb024@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu>
Subject: Low level format on PS/2

  To do a basic low level format on a PS/2, boot the reference disk and
type control-a at the first menu.  (Or was it alt-a?)  This should take
you to a menu with low-level format on it.  Be advised, though, that this
will only format IBM drives.  It seems that IBM preps the drives they sell
with some info on their size, # of heads, etc. before you get them.  I
tried to put a ST-251 in my model 80, but I couldn't get IBM's software to
format it.

  Although I haven't tried it, Ontrack Computer Systems (Eden Prairie, MN)
has a program that will format any hard drive in a PS/2 micro-channel
based computer.  The price was something like $150.

  David Lacey
  ASTZDLPA@UIAMVS.bitnet
  dlacey@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu

------------------------------

Date: 24 Jan 89 09:20:21 EST (Tuesday)
From: Rob Westfall<Westfall.Henr@Xerox.COM>
Subject: Packed .EXE

I am looking for information about Packed EXE files and ideally a program
to UNPACK exe's which have been packed using ExePack.

I have a couple of programs which I would like to patch and have no way of
finding the information that needs to be changed because they are packed
EXEs.

The MicroSoft C manual describles ExePack as a utility which compresses
sequences of identical characters from a specified executable file.  It
also optimizes the relocation table.  Using EXEPack, you can reduce the
size of some files and decrease the time required to load them.  Is it
possible to un-do the packing?

~ Rob
Xerox Corporation
Rochester, NY

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 89 22:17 N
From: <MMKOISTI%FINKUO.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: VT200 emulator and 386 assembler

Hello there,

   Does anyone know terminal emulator for vt200 (or 220) for Hercules ? I
got one (qvt26) but it worked only with nonenchanced keyboard.

        And an other question. Is there anywhere a pd 386 assembler ?

 Mika Koistinen    * Kraftwerk   : I program my home computer
 Lataajanpolku 1A6 * Dire Straits: That ain't working thats the way you do it
 70460 KUOPIO      * decnet: kylk::mmkoistinen  BITNET: MMKOISTI@FINKUO
 FINLAND           * internet: mmkoistinen%kylk@opmvax.kpo.FI

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 89 12:48:10 PST
From: Jim Anderson <jta%bilbo.LOCUS@seas.ucla.edu>
Subject: X Server for DOS

Need a PC based X Window System display server running under DOS?

Locus Computing Corporation has been shipping an MS DOS version of the X
Window System display server for PCs since March 1988. The latest release
of the product, called PC Xsight 1.1, has been shipping since September 7,
1988.

For information on PC Xsight, or to purchase a copy of the program
contact:

	Locus Computing Corporation
	9800 La Cienega Boulevard
	Inglewood, California 90301-4440
	Tel: 213-670-6500

The following is a list of features of the PC Xsight DOS server:

o Runs on 8086, 80286 and 80386 PCs running DOS 3.1 or higher.

o Minimize cost of total X Window System by turning ordinary PCs into X
Window System graphics work stations.

o Maximizes utilization of host resources by offloading the display server
onto a PC.

o Use PC Xsight with other DOS applications for screen capture,
manipulation and printing.

o Supports all standard PC graphics cards:  CGA, Hercules, Compaq Gas
Plasma, EGA, VGA, MDS Genius, Wyse Wy700

o Use with serial or bus mouse devices.

o Runs over TCP/IP: Use EXCELAN's TCP/IP with their card; Use the supplied
TCP/IP with PC Xsight for access to less expensive Ethernet cards.

o Supports several popular Ethernet cards: EXCELAN EXOS 205 (Using their
TCP/IP), 3COM 3C50 (Locus supplies TCP/IP), MICOM NI5210 (Locus supplies
TCP/IP), Western Digital WD8003 (Locus supplies TCP/IP)

o Runs in 640K RAM.

o Does not require EMS 4.0 memory, but can use it.

For further information please contact Locus Computing at the address or
telephone number above.  Replies cannot be made via email.

I have a vested interest in this product as one of the developers.

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------