Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (01/30/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 29 Jan 89       Volume 89 : Issue  14

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                        "Batch file question"
                     .BAT file processing problem
                      .TIF file format question
                  B-tree Indexed file access in 'C'
                Borland .BGI files for hardcopy output
                   Overlays in Turbo-C Info Needed
          Marketing/Marketing Research Package Program query
                       AT&T 6386 Info Wanted
                    Printer Driver for DWP-210
               Deleting a Batch file without errors
                            Kermit and VMS
                      missing Epsilon EEL files
                         Password protection
                             PC Policies
                           Unknown PC Board
                            Virtual memory

Date: Fri, 27 Jan 89 10:47 B
From: <TERLOUW%HGRRUG5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: "Batch file question"

The solution to your problem is quite simple provided the last floppy used
in the installation procedure is a normal DOS floppy.

In this case you should put a batch file on the last floppy which is
called from the batch file on hard disk as its last statement. This
floppy-based batch file then can delete the batch file on hard disk
without any problem or message.

Hans Terlouw

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jan 89 19:14:56 CDT
From: david@wubios.WUstl.EDU (David J. Camp)
Subject: .BAT file processing problem

Erich,
You said in the digest that you copied an installation .BAT file to your
hard disk, and could not delete it without getting un undesired error
message.  I have used before an undocumented (that I have seen) feature of
MS-Dos.  Each time it reads the next command from a .BAT file, it reopens
the file and rereads it from the start, through the number of characters
it had already scanned, to get the next command.  This causes a noticeable
delay when processing toward the end of a large .BAT file, especially when
reading from diskette.

The advantage of this is, once you have your .BAT file debugged, you can
make a duplicate of it on each diskette that may be in the drive during
its execution.  Simple code "PAUSE change diskettes" and the .BAT file
will pick up where it left off, even though the diskette has been changed.
Thus you do not need to copy the .BAT file onto your hard disk at all,
just be careful when coding it, and make sure that the copy on each
diskette is exactly the same.

Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wucs1!wubios!david          v      660 South Euclid
Washington University Medical School               Saint Louis, MO 63110
-David-

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jan 89 13:42:32 EST
From: DAVID%UCONNVM.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
Subject: .TIF file format question

I'm sure that this is an echo of prior requests, but I need the technical
definition of a .TIF file, as created by SCANGAL, the HP scanning
software, running under WINDOWS386 on an IBM PS/2.

Does anyone know where the technical definitions for the various graphic
disk storage modes are printed?

Thanks.
Carl David (BITNET:DAVID@UCONNVM)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jan 89 10:52:34 SET
From: Karl Keyte <ESC1332%ESOC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: B-tree Indexed file access in 'C'

I'm trying to find a public-domain 'C' source for b-tree indexed file
access. I don't want anything specific, but rather a more general indexed
file package. I simply want an efficient indexed file access interface.  I
know that there are a few public-domain sources, but I can't find them
when I need them. Can anyone out there help me locate a source, or even
send me the code?!

Thanks in advance,

Karl Keyte
European Space Agency

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27-JAN-1989 08:05:27.11 GMT+1
From: bpme001%DTUZDV5A.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Borland .BGI files for hardcopy output

Does anybody know where to find devices drivers (.BGI -files) that allow a
redirection of Turbo-Pascal or Turbo-C to a printer or a plotter.  Borland
uses a nice set of BGI-like hardware drivers in Quattro, but these are not
documented and we are looking for a legal way to of hardcopy output. Does
anybody know if Borland is planning to support printers in a future
release of TP and TC?

Dieter Menne
Dep. Animal Physiology
University of Tuebingen
7400 Tuebingen
FRGermany

------------------------------

Date:     Fri, 27 Jan 89 09:54 N
From:     Anneke Sicherer-Roetman <ANNEKE%HUTRUU54.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject:  Overlays in Turbo-C

Hello networkers,

Is there anyone out there who call tell me how I can create and use
overlays in Turbo-C, or where I can find information about it?

Thanks in advance, Anneke.

------------------------------

Date:         Fri, 27 Jan 89 16:47:50 EDT
From:         Yasar Hoscan <YASAR%TRANAVM1.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject:      Marketing/Marketing Research package programs

Dear members,
I'm looking for package programs about Marketing or Marketing Research.
Can anyone provide info please?

Thanks.
                                  Yasar Hoscan
                               YASAR at TRANAVM1

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jan 89  13:57 EST
From: OPER013%UMUC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: AT&T 6386 Info wanted

Does anyone have any first hand experience w/ AT&T's 6386 boxes?  They
make a 16 MHz and a 20 MHz.  I read the review in PC-Mag a few months ago
and they didnt seem to unhappy w/ the machine.

                   thanks

                     Nick Lemberos
                     University College

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jan 89 11:08:08 GMT
From: gsy1!root@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Scott Yates N4BBB)
Subject: Printer Driver for DMP-210

I would suggest you see if you can find drivers for the C.Itoh A-10.  They
manufactured the 210 for Tandy, and are still the only source of tractor
feeds for this model. While the ROM's are Tandy's own, I have heard they
were vert close to the original C.Itih codes.

--
Scott Yates, N4BBB    o    o    DOMAIN: gsy@gsy1.UUCP  ||  gsy@raider.UUCP
Yates Pest Control     \  /     UUCP: ...!{ames,rutgers}!killer!mjbtn!gsy1!gsy

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jan 89 19:10:03 EDT
From: "Tony G. Papadimitriou" <37KGLLQ%CMUVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Deleting a batch file without errors.

Two dirty solutions:

1) If you want to delete only the second of the batch files (which is what
I understood), call the first batch with a parameter indicating that the
installation is completed and the second batch file can be deleted.

2) If you want both of them deleted, make a third batch with only two
lines to delete the other two (but that would make some sense only if the
two main batch files are of considerable length that would justify the
extra space taken by the third batch).

-- Tony Papadimitriou
Acknowledge-To: <37KGLLQ@CMUVM>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jan 89 21:11 AST
From: "Philip M. Howard" <PHOWARD%HUSKY1.STMARYS.CA@CORNELLC.ccs.cornell.edu>
Subject: Kermit and VMS

It is possible that the files have been UUENCODEd as well, dispite the
".ARC" extension.  Try UUDECODE on them first, then use the ARC program.

Philip Howard

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jan 89 09:25 CST
From: Brad Keister <KEISTER@uinpla.npl.uiuc.edu>
Subject: missing Epsilon EEL files

I've been trying to build back up the Epsilon EEL files originally located
at the info-ibmpc archives, submitting them to the EEL subdirectory of
SIMTEL20.  Almost everything is now there in some form or another which
was on my EEL list as of 6 months before info-ibmpc went off the air.  The
file LENOIL.ARC contains contributions from Robert Lenoil, STOREY.EEL is a
concatenation of .e files from Richard Storey, and KEY-RE.MAP is a
concatenation of files from various authors which I hope to edit and post
separately.

There are two files on my old list that I cannot locate: CXTND.E and
CALC.E .  I have been unable to make contact with the authors at the
addresses given on my list.  If anyone has copies of these files, I would
appreciate their sending them to me or directly to SIMTEL20.

Brad Keister
Department of Physics
University of Illinois
KEISTER@UIUCNPL (BITNET)
keister@uinpla.npl.uiuc.edu (internet)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jan 89 11:18:14 CST
From: Don Branson <C08922DB%WUVMD.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Password protection

Is anyone familiar with some software that can be used to password-protect
the hard drive of an IBM PC system? Has anyone written something that
would be useful?

Thanks
Don Branson
Washington University Information Systems
C08922DB@WUVMD.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jan 89 11:11:39 EST
From: "Alina R. Chu" <URARC@nyuccvm.bitnet>
Subject: PC Policies

I know this may not be the correct forum for this question but I hope some
of the members of this list may be able to direct this to the proper
groups.

A friend of mine needs information on pc acquisition guidelines that are
in place and used by departments or companies.  She and her company are
trying to set up guidelines for pc acquistion and I assume software as
well.  These documents would be used as a base for discussion to formulate
their own version of a guideline document.  This company currently has no
guidelines at all.  As you can imagine it is a real mess.  Original
software diskettes/documents are lost,  no one knows what hardware is in
what machine,  software levels are undocumented......

Anyway, if someone would be willing to talk to her or pass on a base
document it would be greatly appreciated.  You could send me mail directly
with your U.S. postal address and phone number.  I will pass it on to my
friend who is not on any of the networks.

                             Alina Chu (URARC@NYUCCVM.BITNET)
Acknowledge-To: <URARC@NYUCCVM.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jan 89 14:03:33 est
From: dsill@relay-nswc.navy.mil
Subject: Summary: OS/2 References

I received a few replies to my query of January 10th concerning technical
reference materials for OS/2, although I expected more.  I'd like to keep
this list up-to-date and possibly repost it periodically, so please send
me any new information you come across.

Thanks to:
  Randy Day, (microsoft!randyd@uw-beaver.cs.washington.edu)
  Billy Brackenridge, (billy@venera.isi.edu)
  Lee Fisher, (leefi%microsof@uw-beaver.mil)
  And locals Stephen Northcutt and Jim Tharp

Disclaimer: I present the following information as a public service.  I
have not personally ensured the accuracy of each item; in fact I have no
first-hand knowledge of any of the following products or services.  And of
course, any opinions expressed are not official statements of DoD or Navy
policy.  Your mileage may vary.  Void in states where prohibited.

BOOKS

"OS/2 Programmer's Guide" by Ed Iaccobucci (Osborne McGraw-Hill)
    -detailed description of OS/2 programming environment
    -covers all major system calls with examples
    -examples in assembly language through C macros
    -examples are buggy and don't use MASM 5.1 conventions

"Inside OS/2" by Gordon Letwin (Microsoft Press)
    -authored by OS/2 Chief Architect
    -pretty good introduction to structure and underlying concepts of
     OS/2
    -readable
    -explains philosophy of OS/2
    -discusses DOS backward compatibility, forward compatibility, and
     microprocessor constraints
    -ISBN: 1-55615-117-9

"Programming OS/2" by Ray Duncan (Microsoft Press)

"Programming the OS/2 Presentation Manager" by Charles Petzold (MSP)

"IBM PS/2 Technical Guide" by Caroline Halliday and James Shields (Sams)
    -$24.95, 494 pages, paperback
    -"...comprehensive guide to [PS/2's] ... and OS/2..."

"Using OS/2" by K. Jamsa
    -$19.95, 758 pages, paperback
    -"...comprehensive reference guide to OS/2."

SOFTWARE

"Microsoft OS/2 Programmer's Toolkit"
    -includes online help ala "man" pages
    -includes illustrative code examples

"Microsoft OS/2 Software Development Kit" or "SDK"
    -includes OS/2 version 1.10, C, MASM, CodeView, linker, editor,
     PM, Font Editor, Dialog Editor, Icon Editor, QuickHelp for
     Programmer's Reference and Toolkit, sample programs
    -includes training videotapes and attendance at one seminar
    -massive, aimed at software houses
    -$3,000, LAN Manager additional $1,000
    -"true and ultimate source of information for OS/2"
    -includes tech support BBS subscription
    -call 800-426-9400 for more info

"The Norton Guides: OS/2"
    -pop-up help for OS/2 commands and APIs
    -approximately $50
    -highly recommended

CLASSES

Microsoft University (MSU)
    -call 206-882-8080 for more info on MSU
    -most classes offered at Redmond, WA, and Boston; occasionally
     other sites; on-site available for groups

"OS/2 Programming Environment" (MSU)
    -5 days
    -intro to OS/2 for designers & developers
    -doesn't cover Presentation Manager API (application programming
     interface)
    -requires C background

"OS/2 Applications Programming" (MSU)
    -5 days
    -some OS/2 experience required
    -covers development of protected-mode applications using API
    -requires Programming Environment course or equivalent SDK
     experience

"OS/2 Device Drivers" (MSU)
    -4 days
    -for experienced systems programmers
    -requires MASM experience, Programming Environment course or
     equivalent experience

"OS/2 for Support Engineers" (MSU)
    -3 days
    -gives experience needed to support end-users of OS/2
    -troubleshooting, role-playing, hands-on installation/configuration
    -requires support experience; no s/w development background assumed

"OS/2 LAN Manager Programming Environment" (MSU)
    -4 days
    -covers development of LAN applications
    -requires Programming Environment course or equivalent OS/2
     experience

"OS/2 LAN Manager Applications Programming" (MSU)
    -5 days
    -for experienced programmers
    -covers development of new LAN applications and modification of
     existing LAN applications
    -requires LAN Manager Programming Environment and Applications
     Programming courses or equivalent OS/2 and LAN experience

"OS/2 LAN Manager Administration and Operation" (MSU)
    -4 days
    -for administrators
    -requires OS/2 for Support Engineers or equivalent experience and
     basic knowledge of hardware on which LAN is implemented.

"OS/2 Presentation Manager for Windows Programmers" (MSU)
    -3 days
    -for experienced Windows programmers
    -requires 4-6 months full-time Windows programming experience

"OS/2 Presentation Manager Programming Environment" (MSU)
    -5 days
    -covers development of applications under OS/2 PM
    -requires C experience, basic PM familiarity (using menus, mouse)

"OS/2 Presentation Manager Applications Programming" (MSU)
    -5 days
    -covers in-depth OS/2 PM application development
    -for programmers with some PM application experience
    -requires OS/2 Presentation Manager Programming Environment course
     and OS/2 Applications Programming course or 2-4 months PM
     development experience

"OS/2" (Information Systems Institute)
    -3 days
    -overview of OS/2
    -hands-on workshops
    -$895
    -March 20-22, Washington, D.C.
    -April 17-19, San Francisco
    -June 12-14, Washington, D.C.
    -call 301-670-9020 (9-5 EST) to register

"OS/2 and SAA" (Information Engineering Institute)
    -2 days
    -overview of OS/2 and SAA (Systems Application Architecture)
    -$765 including Continental breakfast, lunch
    -February 2-3, King of Prussia, PA
    -February 16-17, Minneapolis
    -February 27-28, Costa Mesa, CA
    -March 13-14, Alexandria, VA
    -call 703-370-8103 (9-5 EST) for registration information

=========
"Suppose Apple *does* win its current windows lawsuit against
Microsoft and HP.  Suppose further that Next becomes the Macintosh of
the 1990s, forcing Apple to conclude that it desperately needs to
imitate Next's format in order to remain competitive.  Then what?"
					-- Glenn Groenewold, UNIX Review

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jan 89 11:09:11 MET
From: Hans Pronk <HPRONK%HROEUR1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Unknown PC Board

I have found a pc-board labeled PC-370 P-card . It is a two cards board
and the only thing I was able to find out was that it is supposed to run
370 (VM ?) stuff on it.

Is there anyone out there who has documentation, the software needs to
work etc.

Thanks in advance.
Hans M. Pronk
Rotterdam

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jan 89  19:57:52 gmt
From: D.Murphy%edinburgh.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Subject: Virtual memory

Are there any PD or cheap (<$100) packages that allow PC's to use hard
disk space as virtual memory (preferably emulating expanded memory) ?
Speed is not a problem.

Murff...

D.Murphy@uk.ac.edinburgh
Chemistry Dept.