Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1989 21:14:22 EST
From: Frank da Cruz <fdc@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu>
Subject: Announcing MS-DOS Kermit 2.32/A

>From Info-Kermit...

From: Joe Doupnik <JRD@USU.BITNET>

To correct a somewhat serious bug in MS-Kermit 2.32, a maintenance release
of MS-Kermit -- 2.32/A -- is now available.  The opportunity was also used
to fix a few minor problems.  The changes from MS Kermit 2.32 to 2.32/A 21
Jan 1989 are listed below.

Items common to all machines supported by MS Kermit -

1. Correct a problem negotiating 8-bit prefixing when MS Kermit is
operating with parity of NONE yet the other side requests that such
quoting be done.  Version 2.32 had a problem and would receive the 8-bit
quoting character "&" as ordinary text and hence produce a corrupted file.
Setting parity to SPACE on the PC with version 2.32 might be a suitable
workaround.

2. Correct ENABLE/DISABLE MESSAGE commands to work properly. Previously
the sense was inverted and the command applied to SEND rather than
MESSAGE.

3. Formally decode messages in ACKs to data or filename packets before
displaying them.

4. Add analysis of prompt text in the ASK command so that \number forms
are converted to binary before displaying the prompt. This makes the
prompt field behave the same as in the ordinary SET PROMPT command. A
dollar sign will terminate the text string for either command.  Example:
ASK \%1 \27[31mEnter password\27[37m

5. Correct small textual errors in the SET command main help screen.

6. Allow command REMOTE MESSAGE to use three character text messages.

Items specific to the IBM-PC version of MS Kermit -

7. Delay accessing a communications port until the port is actually
needed.

8. Add several small improvements to video screen support for the VT102
terminal emulator when Video 7 boards are used. Preserve 43 line mode
whenever possible. Defeat 132 column mode for Video 7 VGA boards used with
fixed frequency analogue displays (31.5KHz), such as the IBM 85xx series.
Prevent using wrong display buffer address when an unknown proprietary
video mode is encountered from many EGA and VGA style boards.

9. Put the VT102 screen into the rollback buffer when clearing the entire
screen with any escape sequence combination. Partial screen erasures do
not cause preservation in the rollback buffer.

10. Support character 9Bh, ANSI "CSI", as equivalent to reception of "ESC
[" in the VT102 emulator.

11. Preserve character set pointers and related items in the VT102
emulator when the screen width is changed.

12. Avoid unnecessary flow control commands when Control-Print Screen is
active.

The files which have been changed since version 2.32 are:

    new release ident and date:
      MSSDEF.H

    new system independet files:
      MSSKER.ASM, MSSSEN.ASM, MSSSER.ASM, MSSSET.ASM, MSSTER.ASM

    and for IBM-PC's:
      MSXIBM.ASM, MSYIBM.ASM, MSZIBM.ASM
                                                        Joe Doupnik

[Ed. - The files are available via anonymous ftp from
cunixc.cc.columbia.edu, or over BITNET/EARN from KERMSRV at CUVMA, or by
mail order on diskette or magnetic tape (write to Kermit Distribution,
Columbia University, 612 West 115th Street, New York, NY  10025 USA, for
ordering information).  Thanks to Joe for the quick work in tracking down
and fixing the 8th-bit quoting problem, and for slipping in the other
niceties at the same time.]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Jan 89 11:11:26 PST
From: Melvin Klassen <PROGLIB%UVVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.ccs.cornell.edu>
Subject: Archived Digests

< [The issues you've requested are on their way.  Regarding "placing them on
< the RPICICGE server", the files 'really' are not placed there at all
< (unless of course, they get requested...)  Shortly, I hope to be able to
< tell everyone where to find the archived issues of the Digest.  We're
< working on it and I'll keep you posted.  gph]

One of the side-effects of using the IBMPC-L mailing lists within the
BITNET network is that the list-definitions also may include a parameter
which causes each issued to be archived, as well as sent to each
subscriber.  Thus, if you enter 'EXEC TELL LISTSERV AT CANADA01 INDEX
IBMPC-L', you'll get a list of the archived issues.  Then, use 'EXEC TELL
LISTSERV AT CANADA01 GET IBMPC-L name' to request a specific issue from
the archives.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Oct 88 19:53:14 PST
From: Stuart Cracraft <cracraft@venera.isi.edu>
Subject: benchmark results list

Here is a list of benchmarks and results.

Machines tested run the gamut from small portables to desk-side to
mainframes. If you can add to this table or fill holes, please send a
message to Stuart Cracraft (cracraft@venera.isi.edu)

	BENCHMARK RESULTS COLLECTION
 (sorted in increasing order of dhrystones)
			   Dhrystones  KWhet(S) KWhet(D) Mflops  Mflops
			   per second per sec  per sec    (s)    (d)
Apollo DN3000,                  2186,   716,    628,    0.073,  0.064
SUN 3/160C (FPA card),          3394,   2433,   1863,   0.618,  0.404
SUN 3/160C (68881FPU),          3413,   1039,   924,    0.108,  0.100
NCR 32/400,                     3628,   933,    872
IBM PS 2/80 (MSDOS/16mhz),      4166,   722,    667
IBM PS 2/80 (Xenix/16mhz),      4337
IBM PS 2/80 (MSDOS/20mhz),      5000,   902,    833
Apollo DN 400,                  6038,   1886,   1581,   0.137,  0.118
SUN 3/260 (FPA board),          6313,   3569,   2673,   0.778,  0.451
Compaq 386/20 (20mhz),		7175,   4073,	2490,	0.424,	0.352
DEC VAX 8650 (4.3BSD) ,         9433,   1064,   875,    0.43,   0.183
SUN 4/260 (FPU),               19108,   5663,   3885,   1.583,  1.090

Dhrystones is a measure of integer speed, a single-thread (process)
benchmark. Whetstones is a measure of floating point speed, both single
(s) and double (d) precision, also single-thread. Mflops is a measurement
of the machine in terms of fractions of million floating-point operations
per second, culled from the Linpack linear equation benchmark, both single
and double precision.

------------------------------

Date: 29 Jan 89 00:49:00 CST
From: "David Zielke" <zielke@physics.rice.edu>
Subject: Dos Backup without DMA

  I think that fastback will work on your machine in the /slow mode.  If
the problem is that you only have one DMA channel that works at a time,
this will take care of your problem.  You might even try it if you have no
DMA at all.

David Zielke
ARPA==>		Zielke@Physics.Rice.Edu
		Zielke@128.42.9.23
MaBell==>	713-527-8101 ext. 4018	work
		713-666-2982		home
US Snail==>	David M. Zielke
		7490 Brompton #110
		Houston, Tx 77025

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jan 89 23:00 CST
From: <MJB0363%TAMVENUS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: drawing

Does anyone have recommendations for drawing packages for the PC.  I need
something similar to MacDRAW, the ability to draw figures and simple
illustrations, with appropriate power to manipulate the objects. I need
good quality output with text on a HP laserjet.  Paint packages will not
do the job. Any experience with GemDRAW or Windows DRAW? Other
suggestions?

Thanks

Mike Benedik
Texas A&M University
MJB0363@thor.tamu.edu   or MJB0363@tamvenus.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Jan 89 10:58:38 -0500
From: (Marshall D. Abrams) <abrams%smiley@gateway.mitre.org>
Subject: Inconsistancies formatting floppies

I have just experienced a sequence of what appear to be inconsistancies
formatting some floppies.  I would appreciate an explanation of what
happened.

The floppies were bulk purchased at 19 cents each, so I can assume that
the quality may be marginal.

I first tried to format then using the DOS format command.  It reported
that track zero was bad and that the diskettes were unusable.  Next, I
formatted then using PC TOOLS.  A very few formatted 100% OK, but most
were formatted but with 1 KB reported unusable.

I next reformatted those reported having any problem with the DOS format
command.  Many formatted 100% OK, but some were reported as having 9 KB
bad; a smaller number were reported as having 18 KB bad.

Once more I returned to PC TOOLS.  Those which were reported 9 KB bad
under DOS were 1 KB bad under PC TOOLS and 18KB bad under DOS corresponded
to 3 KB under PC TOOLS.

I can guess that the 9:1 ration has something to do with granularity.  I
can also guess that DOS and PC TOOLS have different control over the
hardware.  I don't understand how one program could read sector zero and
the other couldn't.

Finally, I don't know how much to trust these diskettes.  One they have
been formatted by something and reported 100% OK, can I safely use them?
What about the diskettes reported having 1 or 9 KB bad?

Sincerely,

- Marshall D. Abrams, phone: (703) 883-6938
   The MITRE Corporation, 7525 Colshire Drive
   Mail Stop Z506, Mc Lean, VA   22102
   Short e-mail address: abrams@mitre.org

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jan 89 14:17:04 EST
From: David Boeshaar  (315) 443-3166 <BOESHAAR@SUVM.ACS.SYR.EDU>
Subject: HyperText Availability

>  I would appreciate information on the availability of hypertext systems
>  analogous to Apple's HyperCard on IBM PS/2 Systems.
>
>  J. Pool
>  Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
>  Drexel University

Bright-Bill Roberts in Syracuse NY I working on a GREAT product that will
be like hypercard for the PC. According to PC Week, it was so great Apple
made noises at Microsoft about it (Rumor Central) If it turns out anything
like ShowPartner (another BBR product) it should be FANTASTIC!

Disclaimer: What can I say, I like these guys!

   Dkb :)  "The buck stops here. And having stopped, passes on...."

   David K. Boeshaar
ACADEMIC COMPUTING SERVICES, SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY
 BITNET:    BOESHAAR@SUVM.BITNET
 NOISENET:  (315) 443-3166
 SNAILNET:  215 Machinery Hall
            Syracuse, NY 13244-1260 USA

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Jan 89 02:08:50 EST
From: Weng Loh <LKOKWENG%SBCCVM.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Formatting 360K Floppies on HD Drives

Since there has been a revival in interest on the 5 1/4 inch floppy disk
issue - I feel compelled to add some of my own observations.  Transferring
data from an AT to an XT can be really frustrating because of the latter's
apparent inability to reliably read 360K disks from an 80 track drive.

After some experimenting, I found that it IS possible create a 360K disk
on a 1.2 Meg drive that will READ reliably on a 360K drive. The procedure
is surprisingly simple.

       Take a FRESH, UNFORMATTED 360K disk from a new box.  Format it in
the 1.2 Meg drive with the /4 (360K) option.  Write onto this disk ONLY
with 1.2 Meg drives.  The disk can effectively be READ by both 360K and
1.2 Meg drives.

Note however that should the disk ever be WRITTEN onto by a 360K drive,
problems can and usually do arise as the wider tracks created on the 360K
drive cannot be overwritten completely by the 1.2 Meg drive.

The following diagrams help to explain the problem and the remedy.

                                                 !========
A 360K drive is          111111111111111111111111!
used to write a          111111111111111111111111!  360K  head
track of 1's.            111111111111111111111111!
                                                 !========

The same disk is         111111111111111111111111!=========
now overwritten by       222222222222222222222222!   1.2 Meg head
a 1.2Meg drive. The      111111111111111111111111!=========
narrower head ignores the unerased data left by the 360K drive, hence
errors do not register on the 1.2 Meg drive.

Try to read the data                             !========
on the same disk on      111111111111111111111111!
a 360K drive, and        222222222222222222222222!  360K  head
you're in trouble, as    111111111111111111111111!
the wider 360K head picks                        !========
up both the old data (1's) and the new (2's), giving a read error.

However, if the 1.2 Meg                          !========
drive writes onto a disk                         !
that has never been      222222222222222222222222!  360K  head
written to by a 360K drive                       !
before, the resulting 'pure' narrow              !========
track can be reliably READ by a 360K drive.

I have used the above technique for at least 3 years on at least 2 dozen
machines, with a very high rate of success. In particularly, the ability
of the PC/XT drives to read disks from an AT depends a lot on the quality
of the drive and the alignment. I've noticed half-height drives to be far
superior mechanically to the old full height Shugarts used in the original
XTs and PCs.

Note: Recently, Pre-formatted 360K disks are being sold by a few disk
manufacturers. I have not tried them, but if they are created on 'Wide'
track duplicators, I doubt they can be used as mentioned above.  Also
using the bulk-erase utility from Copy II PC on previously used 360K disks
does NOT work. You must use blank unformatted disks.

DISCLAIMER: All the information and ideas presented here are expressedly
my own and in no way will I be held responsible for loss of data, jobs,
friends, spouses or sanity through use and misuse of anything said here.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1989 Jan 28   13:25:45 EST
From: Bob Babcock   <PEPRBV@CFAAMP.BITNET>

>Can anybody direct me to a list for IBM PS/2 386 machines?  Also, can I
>be directed to a public domain software pagage that will allow me true
>multi-tasking with multiple concurrent DOS regions?

There is a mailing list for 386 users.  Send subscription requests to
386users-request@TWG.COM

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1989 Jan 27   11:44:28 EST
From: Bob Babcock   <PEPRBV@CFAAMP.BITNET>
Subject: Wrong INFORMIX Package Received

>From: rjc@ncsc1.ATT.COM (Robert Cook consultant ncsc5)
>I have a new (complete) INFORMIX package for an IBM type pc.  It consists
>of all of the documentation for SQL, 4GL etc. and disks.  INFORMIX sent me
>the wrong package (I have a MacIntosh) and they refuse to exchange it.

If they have a typical license agreement, and you haven't broken the seal
on the disk package, you should be able to refuse to accept the license
terms and get a refund.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1989 Jan 27   11:31:22 EST
From: Bob Babcock   <PEPRBV@CFAAMP.BITNET>
Subject: Cleaning up after Installation via Batch Files

>From: Erich Neuwirth <A4422DAB%AWIUNI11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
>So the first batch file on the first floppy copies a second batch
>file to the hard disk.  Then the hard disk is made current disk
>and this second batch file is executed [...] After the installation
>I want this batch file to be removed, so the batch file deletes
>itself [generating an error msg].

Is there room on the second disk for another BAT file?  You could transfer
control back to it and have it clean up the hard disk.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jan 89 22:59:27 -0800
From: Alastair Milne <milne@ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject: Lotus 123 behaviour problem

    My mother is a physician in the Veteran's Administration hospital
system, and has received from them a government-release version of Lotus
1-2-3.  This version has a special title-page which explains how it's not
copy-protected, etc. .  Until recently, it seems to have been working
fine, and she has some massive spreadsheets developed with accumulated
patient data.  Irreplaceable patient data, of course.

    Now a very odd thing has started happening.  After about 5 minutes in
Lotus (sometimes more, sometimes less), whatever one is doing, the screen
suddenly goes blank, a message is posted in the middle saying the drivers'
set file 123.SET can't be found (even though it has to have been loaded
for Lotus to get this far), and when you try to advance beyond the message
Lotus promptly quits.  Obviously this is dangerous behaviour -- it
virtually guarantees that after 5 minutes or so, all your work will be
unceremoniously disposed of.

    I've also seen it simply clear the screen and quit, without even
bothering with a message.

    I tried changing the name of the 123.SET file to make sure Lotus was
actually using it in the first place.  It was.  I restored the name.

    I thought the screen saver might be interfering somehow -- my mother
uses a Morrow Pivot II labtop which has an automatic screen saver -- but
the blanking occurs even when you're in the middle of doing something.

    I suggested she set the date back -- about a year, say -- and see if
it helped.  I was thinking of a virus that watched the date.  That seemed
to help briefly, but it didn't last.

    I've asked her to try running it on another machine, but I've not
heard anything from her about that.

    I've made up a set of Quattro discs for her to use, but Quattro's so
big you need to keep juggling discs -- and it doesn't seem to want to draw
graphs as easily as Lotus does, though I don't know why not.  Also, it
takes an incredible amount of time to load her spreadsheets.  So, although
I'm sure it is in toto superior to Lotus, Quattro is not a perfect answer.

    Has anybody seen this sort of behaviour before?  The Lotus references
my mother bought don't seem to have anything about it.

    Any assistance much appreciated.

    Alastair Milne,

    Dept. of Info. and Comp. Sci.
    UC Irvine

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jan 89 18:49:51 -0500
From: (Marshall D. Abrams) <abrams%smiley@gateway.mitre.org>
Subject: Simple drawing program wanted

I am looking for a recommendation for a simple drawing program, preferably
shareware.

I want to draw circles and other conics and perhaps freehand and include
text.  I would like to be able to include the result in text files to be
processed by NR (nroff) and printed.  If necessary, I can capture output
for the printer in a file and then include (directly or by reference) in
the text file.

I am currently planning to use EASYCHART to draw block diagrams with text,
but it doesn't support any curves.

Thanks for you assistance.

Sincerely,

- Marshall D. Abrams, phone: (703) 883-6938
   The MITRE Corporation, 7525 Colshire Drive
   Mail Stop Z506, Mc Lean, VA   22102
   Short e-mail address: abrams@mitre.org

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------