Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (02/26/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sat, 25 Feb 89       Volume 89 : Issue  32

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                         ARC File Format Info
                  Backup software for PCs and PS/2s
                           COBOL compilers
           DSZ Feb. 16 version now available from Simtel20
                  EEMS/286 Upgrade Problems Solution
                File: "IBMPC-L MAIL" being sent to you
                       Graphics format request
                   High-Resolution Timer on IBM PC
                     Intel Connection Coprocessor
            LIM 4.0  Memory Boards for an IBM PS2 Model 60
                         Lotus 1-2-3 Problem?
               Neural Network Computing Systems Request
                Norton Disk Doctor considered harmful
              Shareware C compiler uploaded to Simtel20
            Simtel20 MSDOS index with descriptions updated
                         80386 Versus 80386sx
                        TOPS under Windows/386
                       Turning the cursor off!

Date: Wed, 22 Feb 89 16:09:46 est
From: <KAHN@VOID.MCEO.DG.COM>
Subject: ARC File Format Info

  I am looking for information on the format of both LBR and ARC files.  I
need the info so that I can pass it on to some people in the Apple
community so they can store/retrieve files from ARC and LBR files that I
send to them (ASCII files that is).  Any information or pointers are
greatly appreciated.

                              Bruce (KAHN@ADAM.DG.COM or
                                     KAHN%ADAM.DG.COM@RELAY.CS.NET)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 89 13:58 EST
From: <VFM702%SCRANTON.BITNET@CORNELLC.ccs.cornell.edu>
Subject: Backup software for PCs and PS/2s

    We are looking for a backup software which will work with all Personal
Computers on our campus.  Currently we have the following:

IBM PC/XT
IBM PC/AT
IBM PS/2 Model 30
IBM PS/2 Model 30 286
IBM PS/2 Model 50
IBM PS/2 Model 50 Z
IBM PS/2 Models 60, 70, and 80

        We are presently using Fastback on most models.  Fifth Generation
states that Fastback does not support the Model 50 Z or Model 70.  In
addition, using Fastback, we are having some drive problems with the Model
50 and Model 30 286.

        The ideal package should be able to support all of these models,
have a moderate price, speed, and ease of use.  We are currently
evaluating Corefast, SyStore, DS Backup Plus, Quiksave, Intelligent
Backup, Take Two, and Fastback Plus v.2.0.  We have experienced problems
with all of these.

        Has Fastback Plus v.2.01 fixed the bugs?  Are there any other
packages worth evaluating?

        Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Vince Merkel
University of Scranton
Linden St. & Monroe Ave.
Scranton, PA  18510
717-961-7637
VFM702@SCRANTON.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 23 Feb 89 15:40:57 EDT
From: RSPELLMAN@BAT.Bates.EDU
Subject: COBOL compilers

Hello!

I am looking for a COBOL compiler for the PC.  This compiler will be used
to teach a one time course in COBOL.  Therefore, I don't want to spend too
much money.  We would like a compile which up to the latest standards,
which I think is COBOL 85.  (Does anybody know what the differences are
between COBOL 74 and 85?)

I am also in a big rush to get this, so any quick replies would be
appreciated!

Rob Spellman
RSpellman@Bat.Bates.EDU
Bates College Computing Center
Lewiston, Maine 04240

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1989  11:41 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: DSZ Feb. 16 version now available from Simtel20

I just obtained the latest version of DSZ from Chuck Forsberg's BBS.  The
files are available from Simtel20 as:

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.ZMODEM>
DSZ0216.ARC			BINARY	 82436  777AH  <--COM vers w/docs
DSZ0216X.ARC			BINARY	 46599  A8D7H  <--EXE version

[**editorial mode on**]

Please note that we continue to convert DSZEXE.ZOO to DSZdateX.ARC because
Simtel20 does not have any way to test ZOO archives on the mainframe.  I
hope Chuck Forsberg will rethink his distribution requirements in the
interests of consistancy, especially in the light of the fact that the new
ZIP archive system beats both ARC and ZOO in efficiency.  Example:
DSZEXE.ZOO when repackaged into a ZIP archive is 8,000 bytes smaller!
Don't misunderstand, I am not advocating that we change to ZIP archives
until mainframe versions of ZIP are available.  My point is that
continuing to distribute the EXE version of DSZ in a ZOO archive is
beating a dead horse.  Both ARC and ZOO are destined to become obsolete.

It's a real shame that the EXE version of DSZ isn't more widely
distributed.  It's significantly faster than the COM version when using a
9600 bps modem with the serial interface locked at 19200.  If you have no
interst in running DSZ under DesqView/DoubleDOS or a LAN which requires
the file locking features of DSZ.COM, you should really be using DSZ.EXE
for maximum transfer speed.

[end of editorial]

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the CP/M & MSDOS archives at wsmr-simtel20.army.mil [26.0.0.74]
DDN: w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 89 12:39:38 EST
From: Paul.Birkel@K.GP.CS.CMU.EDU
Subject: EEMS/286 Upgrade Problems Solution

Well, it appears that the Xebex card is not only physically *identical* to
the Intel version except for some apparent differences in the PALs, but
also software-driver compatible! Specifically, the Aboveboard-286
installation software (running on a V20 processor) is happy to set up an
EEMS TSR and a ram disk TSR which work just fine with the 80286 processor.
The trick is to tell it you're a PC-class machine. Setting up while
running on the 80286 fails at some architecture-specific internal test ---
complains that you're not really on an AT-class machine or you've got the
wrong Aboveboard product installed.

So my problem is resolved. Next time I'll buy Intel :-). Maybe a '386
board?

paul

--
Internet:	pab@cs.cmu.edu		Bitnet:	pab%cs.cmu.edu%smtp@interbit
CSnet:	pab%cs.cmu.edu@relay.cs.net	Uucp:	...!seismo!cs.cmu.edu!pab

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Feb 89 16:14:10 est
From: <KAHN@VOID.MCEO.DG.COM>
Subject: Graphics format request

  I recently bought an HP flat bed scanner and with the software that
comes with it I can generate .TIF files (TIFF format actually).  I would
like to be able to convert these to other formats (like .GIF or other
standard formats).  Can someone tell me where to get more info on the TIFF
format as well as any other graphics format (I already have GIF).  Thanks
in advance.

                              Bruce (KAHN@ADAM.DG.COM or
                                     KAHN%ADAM.DG.COM@RELAY.CS.NET)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 89 14:44:30 PST
From: calderon@cod.nosc.mil (Mel A. Calderon)
Subject: High-Resolution Timer on IBM PC

>To: "UP200::SCHARFE"  <U0158%DGOGWDG5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
>Subject: millisecond timing on PC

In Byte Magazine, January, 1987, pp. 157-164, there appeared an article
titled, "High-Performance Software Analysis on the IBM PC".

This article described a high-resolution timer, featuring approximately
840 nano-second resolution by programming the 8253 timer chip to a
different mode.  The routines (assembly source code was included) include
Start_Timer and  Stop_Timer procedures.  The procedures can be assembled
to an "Timer.obj" file and conceivably linked with the high level language
of your choice.  I have done this using Turbo Pascal ver 4.0, with very
good results.  The repeatability is very good, to within plus or minus two
micro-seconds.

        The normal calling sequence is:

                Start_Timer;
                "Insert here the code or program segment to be timed."
                Stop_Timer;

The timer needs to be checked against a known time interval and the
calling time overhead needs to be determined in your application.

I hope this proves to be of use to you.

Mel Calderon, Code 713
Naval Ocean Systems Center
San Diego, Ca. 92152-5000
e-mail: calderon@NOSC.MIL
Net Address: 26.1.0.3
Host: TROUT.NOSC.MIL

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 89 03:41:17 PST
From: JAJZ801%CALSTATE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU  (Jeff Sicherman,CSU Long Beach)
Subject: Intel Connection Coprocessor

  Has anybody had any experience with the new Intel Connection
Coprocessor.  I'm particularly curious about performance and software
quality and capability.

  Jeff Sicherman
  JAJZ801@CALSTATE.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Feb 89 22:49:36 est
From: marwood@ncs.dnd.ca (Gordon Marwood)
Subject: LIM 4.0  Memory Boards for an IBM PS2 Model 60

I am considering changing extended memory in a PS2 Model 60 for LIM
4.0/EEMS memory.  I would like to do this to obtain more flexibility with
Desqview.  Can anyone point me to any reviews of LIM 4.0/EEMS memory cards
for the Model 60, or make any personal recommendations/observations.  All
that I am aware of at the moment is a review in PC Magazine of Oct 11,
1988, which reviewed three cards which were suitable for the PS2 Model 60
(and which gave somewhat unexciting reviews of all three), and I have been
told by a dealer that there are "true blue" cards providing up to 8Mb, and
which require DOS 4.0.

Gordon Marwood

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 89 15:23 PST
From: <CHUCKM%UCRVMS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Lotus 1-2-3 Problem?

Greetings;

I'm having a problem with my IBM XT (ancient machine, I know); in
particular: we generally have this machine hooked up to a Sony projector.
Recently, it would freeze up whenever it was hooked up, within a matter of
a few minutes.

Eventually, the XT would freeze all by itself, even when not connected to
the Sony projector.  The problem was traced to the math co-processor in
the XT.  Our technicians removed the co-processor.  Now, the XT works just
fine with the projector.

However...

Now, Lotus 1-2-3 (version 2) no longer functions correctly; what it does
is flash the title screen, blank the screen, and then freeze.  PrintGraph,
Install, and View all work correctly.  I've re-installed the whole Lotus
set of disks, but the problem persists.

The question I have has two parts:

a) Is there any way to install Lotus 1-2-3 without the co-processor
driver?

b) Has anyone seen this problem, and if so, how did you deal with it?

I'd appreciate any advice; please respond to me directly, since this may
or may not interest the regular readers of the list.  Thanks in advance
for your assistance!  [Of course, there just MIGHT be others out there
with the same problem.  How about sending a cc to
Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.army.mil?  gph]

Sincerely,
Chuck McDaniels
Systems Consultant
University of California, Riverside

BITNET address:  CHUCKM@UCRVMS
Phone number:    (714) 787-4711

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 89 14:57:58 GMT (Postman Pat ver 3.1)
From: Drew <SCR596%CYBER2.CENTRAL.BRADFORD.AC.UK@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Neural Network Computing Systems Request

Can  I  say  thanks  to  everyone  who  has  sent me messages about Neural
Networks etc.

Apparently there is a discussion group which does discuss  Neural  Network
Systems  (hardly  suprising, there are discussion groups about most things
nowadays...(;-)) and it's address is:

neuron-request@hplabs.hp.com

I intend to subscribe...  I suggest we all do!

Drew Radtke

Janet:       Drew@uk.ac.bradford.central.cyber2
Internet:    Drew%cyber2.central.bradford.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Earn/Bitnet: Drew%cyber2.central.bradford.ac.uk@ukacrl
UUCP:        Drew%cyber2.central.bradford.ac.uk@ukc.uucp
Post:        Science & Society, University of Bradford, Bradford, UK, BD7 1DP.
Phone:       +44 274 733466 x6135
Fax:         +44 274 305340
Telex:       51309 UNIBFD G

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 89 21:04:46 MEZ
From: Erich Neuwirth <A4422DAB%AWIUNI11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Norton Disk Doctor considered harmful

I have to issue a warning about the Norton disk doctor. Last night I tried
it. It reported sum problems like one cluster being part of 2 files
simultaneously. I have not noticed any problem with my hard disk before.
Without asking for permission it started to repair the "faults". From then
on the hard disk was not bootable any more!  When I booted from a floppy
and did a CHKDSK I got lots of error messages I never have seen before
with CHKDSK. Essentially also about to files occupying the same location
on disk.

In the end I had to format and restore my disk completely.  Luckily I do
regular backups and I did one before trying the NDD.  I do not know what
exactly happened, and I am not very anxious to do further investigations.
Any hints or reamrks about what could have happened?

Erich Neuwirth

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1989  14:42 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Shareware C compiler uploaded to Simtel20

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1989  23:18 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Simtel20 MSDOS index with descriptions updated

The index of Simtel20 MSDOS files, with descriptions, has just been
updated.  The file is PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.IDX.  An archived version
of the same file is in PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.ARC.

Simtel20, the following should provide the requested information:

  A list of all files in the <msdos> archives is contained in directory
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS> as follows:

NODESCR.IDX contains a listing of those files that do not have a
discription.

SIMCVT.BAS is a BASICA/GWBASIC program to convert SIMIBM.IDX to a human-
     readable text file.

SIMIBM.HDR contains a PC-File+ database header for use with SIMIBM.IDX.

SIMIBM.IDX contains a listing of all files that have a one line descrip-
     tion.  SIMIBM.IDX (updated monthly) is automatically created by
     taking the latest FILES.IDX (updated daily) and comparing it against
     a combined list of current files on several BBS systems.

Also available:

FILDIF.ARC a program for comparing a previous copy of PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX
     with a new copy.  It displays files added and deleted since you got an
     older index.  This is useful if you are trying to maintain an archive
     in sync with SIMTEL20.  It can generate output scripts for batch FTP
     processing.

SIMIBM.ARC contains the latest SIMIBM.HDR, SIMIBM.IDX, AAAREAD.ME (this
     file), SIMCVT.BAS, SIMIBM.DB3 (information on how to use the index
     with dBASEIII), and SIMIBM.INF (explains the fields in the index).

PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.ARC is updated at approximately one month inter-
     vals (more frequently, time permitting).

PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX is updated on a daily basis (sometimes several times
     a day when a lot of new files are uploaded).  This file is a comma-
     delimited file, suitable for importing into PC-File+ or DBase III.

It's impossible to make a daily updated list with descriptions with the
quantity of new programs available.  We average about 200 new files per
month.

Date: 24 Feb 89 17:30:04 GMT
From: columbia!dasys1!larryw@cucard.med.columbia.edu (Winston Lawrence)
Subject: 80386 Versus 80386sx

I am looking for some answers/hits/tips in buying an 80386 or 80386sx
based system. I have been seeing some very good 80386sx prices.  I know
that the 80386 chip runs anywhere from 16 to 33? mhz and that there is a
16mhz 80386sx chip. I think that the 80386sx has a 16-bit address path and
the 80386 has a 32-bit address path.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 89 12:27 N
From: <CAVECCHIA%ITNVAX.INFN.IT%ICINECA2.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: TOPS under Windows/386

Does anyone have any experience using TOPS NetPrint (Appletalk LAN) under
Windows/386?

If I try to print a document using the Windows internal spooler (printer
is an Apple Laserwriter NTX attached to the Appletalk card, but the
NetPrint driver redirects LPT1 to this card so I have to select LPT1 as
printer port inside Windows) it seems that Windows correctly sends all the
job to the TOPS spooler but the spooling process doesn`t actually start
until I exit Windows.

Maybe there is a conflict problem between the Windows/386 kernel and the
Appletalk driver.

I have tried to say "spooler=no" in the WIN.INI file but, with this
setting, sometimes the machine hangs up, especially when I try to print a
very large file.

Any hints about this?

Many thanks in advance

        Valter V. Cavecchia
        Centro di Fisica del C.N.R.
        I-38050 Povo (TN) - Italy

        cavecchia@itncisca      (bitnet)
        itnvax::cavecchia       (decnet 37.65)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 89 08:51:58 GMT
From: UA0095%SYSB.SALFORD.AC.UK@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Turning the cursor off!

Hi there!

      Many thanks to the two of you who replied to my plea for help with
MUMPS.  It's reasuring to know that it is so widely used!

      Can anybody give me a hand?  I really need to get hold of the cursor
on and cursor off routines in Dbase3+,  I already have the Demo version,
but it hasn't got the necessary files.  (It's possible that it has had all
unecessary stuff cut off it cos all the machines at Uni have it, along
with other packages, on their hard-disks.  So could anybody give me a hand
with either these progs (are they copyrighted?) or if not, something to do
the same job (in Db3+ apps).

      Thanks in advance!

                    Steve.

End of Info-IBMPC Digest