Date: Mon Feb 27 09:30:00 1989
From: ge1ca8!terry@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: .TIF and/or .PCX format

I need the format to TIF and/or PCX...  Could someone email or direct me
to where this information can be found?

Thanks a bunch
Terry Lee

uunet!janus!merlin!terry

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Feb 89 09:54:34 EST
From: halp@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Bruce P. Halpern)
Subject: Apple //<->IBM<->Mac

WordPerfect 4.2 and 5.0 have no trouble reading text files. Therefore,
your only problem is to go from Apple //c (especially AppleWorks) files to
IBM text files. AppleWorks files can always be printed to disk as text
files.  This produces a problem with word processor files, since a LF-CR
is inserted at the end of each line. Use of the Beagle Brothers Timeout
desk accessory AWP TO TEXT eliminates this problem. At this point you have
an Apple // text file on disk, and want to have an IBM text file.

Some of your options have been discussed many times: Use cables between
serial ports together with communication programs, or upload to a
mainframe from the Apple //, then down load to the IBM. If you know
someone who has an Applied Engineering PC Transporter in an Apple, you
have a third option. The PC Transporter puts a IBM-clone (more-or-less an
AT) inside an Apple //. It also come with software that converts between
Apple (ProDOS) files and IBM compatible files. I've used this with
WordPerfect.

An even less direct route requires a Macintosh. Current MacII (or MacIIx)
can read and write both IBM and Mac format disks. All Macs can read and
write Apple // format disks using the Apple File Converter.

If you have recurrent needs to go between IBM and Apple //, you might want
to look into MatchPoint-PC, sold by MicroSolutions (132 W. Lincoln Hwy.,
DeKalb IL 60115, tel: 815-756-3411). It's a card that plugs into an IBM
and allows connection and use of an Apple // drive. I've no personal
experience with this product, but I do have, use, and enjoy a parallel
product, MatchMaker, that allows a Macintosh drive to be used by a IBM,
and converts between Mac and IBM text files.

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca    |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
  |  UUCP:{vax135,rochester,decvax}!cornell!batcomputer!halp                  |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601      |

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Feb 89  16:25:28 EST
From: JMR%NBS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: C source text formatter

    I am looking for a public domain C source formatter. Any information
on where to find one would be appreciated.

                                 Hans.

------------------------------

Date: 26 Feb 89 18:33:09 GMT
From: cattelan@cs.umn.edu (Russell Cattelan)
Subject: Decomplier

I am looking for a good IBM decomiler. I have a communication program
written expecially for IBM and I need to decompile so I can rewrite it to
be used on many machines.

             Any help would be appreciated
                Russell Cattelan@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Feb 1989  12:43 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: DRIVPARM config.sys variable - how do I access it?

kluge%lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de@relay.cs.net writes:

    In DOS 3.30 Microsoft put in a new config.sys variable named DRIVPARM.
With this variable, it is possible to change the default configuration of
the built-in device drivers for floppy disk I/O. DRIVPARM does the same
thing DEVICE=DRIVER.SYS does, except that it does not install a new driver
but changes the configuration tables of the drivers built-in. DRIVPARM
also uses the same syntax that DRIVER.SYS uses.

    This variable was embedded in all OEM versions of MS-DOS 3.30 and also
in IBM's PC-DOS 3.30 (However, IBM did not mention the command in its
documentary). A Microsoft representative ensured me this, and it can be
proved by using DEBUG: debug ibmbio.com and s 100 ffff 'DRIVPARM' will
reveal its presence in the parse table.

    But due to a bug in Microsoft's DOS 3.30 this variable could not be
accessed by the user. Microsoft had already delivered all its OEMs before
the bug was detected. Microsoft soon released a patch that would cure this
bug. This patch was sent to all Microsoft's OEMs, *including* IBM, as a
Microsoft representative told me.

    Other manufacturers did correct the bug (Hewlett-Packard did it) and
documented the new feature. However, IBM seems not to have done it. The
new feature isn't documented anywhere (nor does any IBM representative
seem to know of it) and IBM sells the version with the bug.

The fix for this is described in file pd1:<msdos.sysutl>DRIVPARM.ARC which
is available from Simtel20.  The file gives simple directions on how to
make the patch with DEBUG and how to use the patched DRIVPARM in your
CONFIG.SYS file.

--Keith Petersen

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Feb 1989  20:24 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: DSZ update

Now available from Simtel20:

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.ZMODEM>
DSZ0223.ARC			BINARY	 81942  350CH  <--COM vers & docs
DSZ0223X.ARC			BINARY	 46510  4B6EH  <--EXE version

This is the latest verion of DSZ, obtained from Chuck Forsberg's BBS.

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the CP/M & MSDOS archives at wsmr-simtel20.army.mil [26.0.0.74]
DDN: w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

------------------------------

Date:     Monday, 27 February 1989 1427-EST
From:     FERRIS%PENNDRLS.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject:  Was Phil Katz "squashed" unfairly?

I am a little confused about the legal issues involved in the Phil Katz
controversy.  According to an article I read in PC Week, Intel recently
lost a copyright infringement case against NEC.  While the judge said that
microcode was copyrightable and therefore direct copying is illegal,
"examining the code to develop a complete interface specification and then
having a development team work from that specification is [legal]."  I
thought that Phil Katz figured out what the file formats for ARC were and
then developed his own program for duplicating that result.  Isn't that
just what NEC did?  Yet Katz lost his case against SEA.  Was this really a
case of might makes right (i.e.  mighty Intel couldn't beat mighty NEC but
mighty SEA could beat Phil Katz)?

Richard T. Ferris              Bitnet: FERRIS@PENNDRLS
Dept. of Economics
University of Pennsylvania

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Feb 89 08:15:51 MST
From: <pgaughan@NMSU.Edu>
Subject: Graphics format request

TIFF file format specification:

I called Bear River Associates and they mailed it to me free (By US mail,
not internet although I'm sure that may be possible...) Here's the address

Bear Rivers Associates, Inc.
P.O. Box 1900
Berkeley, CA 94701
(415) 644-9400

The package they sent me came complete with a Library of MPW C routines
and a suite of test images from varying versions of the TIFF format.  Very
nice.

(I have no affiliation with the above mentioned corporation.)

Patrick Gaughan		Programmer of Gor
pgaughan@nmsu.edu	New Mexico State University

------------------------------

Date: Mon,  27 Feb 89 9:49 +0200
From: Reuven Weiss <REUVEN%TAUENG.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Hard Disk Repair

Has anybody succeeded in moving track 0 from its original place in a
Seagate ST251 drive? Can the indexing information be rerecorded? What
equipment or software is required? How we can assure that the drive can
read anything?  Is a diagnostic track on such drives, similar to the
recording on the DYSAN AAD diskette for floppy drives?

The questionable drive replies TRACK 0 NOT FOUND and moves only to park
when unpowered, or to seek track 0 (noisily) on powerup.  DISK MANAGER
cannot low-lewel format the drive. The controller, cables, jumpers are
o.k. We succeded in moving track 0 from bad spots on drives from several
other manufacturers. Are in the archives references on this subject?

There are hard disk types, not the recent types from SEAGATE, with optical
detector for track 0. To move the detector, the housing should be opened.

This makes warranties invalid and also should be made in a "clean room"
with laminar airflow. Otherwise dust particles collide with the flying
heads and separate the heads from the platters while the platters rotate.

I would like to know if it is possible to rerecord the tracking
information on drives that use recorded markings.

Reuven Weiss
Faculty of Engineering
Tel - Aviv  University
REUVEN@TAUENG.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 89 23:07:24 EST
From: Mark Becker <MBECK@AI.AI.MIT.EDU>
Subject: MS-DOS Link with search paths - How?

My MicroSoft manual for DOS 3.21 is explicit on how LINK is supposed to
work with regards to search paths.  According to it, if I have a
environment variable LIB set to the paths of my library files, then LINK
is eventually supposed to find this environment variable and use that as a
path to the library files.

Example:

I'm using Logitech's Modula-2 package (version 3.03).  The library files
are all in one place, the C:\M2\M2LIB\LIB directory.  A supplied library
is not in a form usable by Logitech's M2L linker.  However, after a lot of
typing I have found it is compatible with MicroSoft's LINK.

I have an environment variable LIB set as follows:

	LIB=C:\M2\M2LIB\LIB

To start up LINK, I type:

	LINK file,file,,PAS2MOD+M2RTS+M2LIB  and press the enter key.

After a few seconds of disk beating, LINK complains it can't find
C:PAS2MOD.LIB .  So I give it the full path to the file.  A few seconds
later it complains about not finding M2RTS.LIB.

Obviously, the environment variable "LIB" isn't really doing anything.  Or
I have it wrong.

Can someone enlighten me?

Mark
mbeck@ai.ai.mit.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 89 10:13 GMT
From: "Barry Redmond" <BREDMOND%dit.ie@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Novell/3Com comparisons requested

Does anyone have, or know where I could get, a comprehensive comparison of
Novell Netware and 3Com 3Server networks?

Barry Redmond                                   BREDMOND@DIT.IE
Dept of Electronics & Communications
Dublin Institute of Technology
Kevin St, Dublin 8, Ireland

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Feb 1989  13:03 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Problem with serial port

foote@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Foote) writes:
> I have a problem with my serial port (on my Unisys AT clone).  I can't
>send output to it using fopen("com1:", "w") from Microsoft C, and "copy
>con: com1:" doesn't work (it accepts keyboard input, but nothing comes
>out of the serial port).  When I type in "mode com1:12,N,8,1" (or even
>just "mode com1:"),  I get the error message "invalid parameter com1".
>Despite this, Procomm, Telix, and Crosstalk XIV all have no trouble with
>the serial port, and my diagnostics disk tells me that I do indeed have
>a serial port installed.  Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

Bill, the problem is that you have to turn on DTR (and maybe CTS/RTS
handshaking if the modem wants to see that).

If you get file pd1:<msdos.modem>DOSMODEM.ARC from Simtel20 and run
DTR.COM in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file you will be able to do simple things
like ECHO string>COM1 without getting the abort/retry/fail message.

There is another file in that archive called AT.COM which sends
Hayes-compatible "AT" command to the modem.

  AT Z             sends ATZ<cr> to reset the modem.
  AT DT555-1212    will dial that number

etc.

The default baud rate for the PC's COM ports is 2400.

--Keith Petersen

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Feb 89 09:42 PST
From: MIKE@cisco.nosc.mil
Subject: Quarterdeck support

     Jim Rome writes:

>With regard to Andre Pirard's plug for QEMM386 and DesqView, I must sound
>a dissenting voice. Quarterdeck has the WORST customer support of any PC
>software company.

     I too received little help from the voice support, however I found
the BBS to be quite helpful (213-3963904). The technical advice they gave
eventually enabled me to get DV up and running on a Z-248 w/AST memory
board and ALL memory management card. I also had to install DV on a Z-248
that had been upgraded to a 386, again the BBS gave many helpful
suggestions that eventually got it running.

>DesqView claims to be selling like hotcakes, but I suspect that (like
>Windows), most of them are sitting unused in desks.

     It works quite well on my Z-248, I sometimes have 3 or 4 tasks
running simultaneously (file transfers on two serial ports, a compile and
an edit session). The cut and paste feature is very handy. Considering the
price, it is well worth it.

     					Mike Pawka
     					NOSC, San Diego

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Feb 89 15:51:24 PST
From: MINUIT%FSU.MFENET@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject: random numbers

Here is a random number generator from a PROFESSIONAL. George Marsaglia is
one of the world experts in random number generators. I hope this ends all
of the bantering on the net about random number generators - at least for
a while.

- David LaSalle
minuit%fsu@nmfecc.arpa

SCRI
Florida State University
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052
(904)644-1010
C This random number generator appeared in "Toward a Universal Random
C Number Generator" by George Marsaglia and Arif Zaman.  Florida State
C University Report: FSU-SCRI-87-50 (1987)
C THIS IS THE BEST KNOWN RANDOM NUMBER GENERATOR AVAILABLE.
C It passes ALL of tests for random number generators and has a period of
C 2^144, is completely portable (gives bit identical results on all machines
C with at least 24-bit mantissas in the floating point representation).
C The algorithm is a combination of a Fibonacci sequence (with lags of 97
C and 33, and operation "subtraction plus one, modulo one") and an
C "arithmetic sequence" (using subtraction).
C On a Vax, this random number generator can produce a number in 13 micro-
C seconds. On an ETA-10G supercomputer, effectively one random number can be
C produced every 3.5 nanoseconds (the 1988 record).
C========================================================================

[This program has been submitted to the Archives@WSMR-simtel20.army.mil]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Feb 89 14:49 EDT
From: <ASELMA01%ULKYVX.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> (Adel S. Elmaghraby)
Subject: Help with scanner files

 Can anyone help me with a definition of the TIF format files that is
generated by scanners. Actually, I would like to display the images
independent of programs such as pagemaker or worperfect with drivers.

 If you can send me the description of the file format or a pointer to
were to look I would be thankful.

                     A. S. Elmaghraby
                     ASELMA01@ULKYVX.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Feb 89 14:33:51 MEZ
From: Manfred Kremer <HLR002%DJUKFA11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Wordprocessing software for Japanese and Chinese

A friend needs a word processor which can be used for Japanese and Chinese
letters mixed with German and English. It should display the Japanese and
Chinese letters on the screen and should be able to print them on a dot
matrix printer like an Epson 850 or a NEC P6. Last not least this software
should not be too expensive, so that a student can buy it.

Please let me know if you have heard of such a thing! Thanks in advance.

Manfred Kremer

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------