Date: 21 Mar 89 09:16:00 GMT-15:00
From: "T. DEJANE" <motu_7a@wmms-srf-yoko.arpa>
Subject: Address for ITUG

Does anyone out there know the new address for the ITUG users group or did
it go away?

thanks in advance
DeJane

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 89 12:58:45 EST
From: crompton@NADC.ARPA (D. Crompton)
Subject: DRIVPARM problem

the simtel archive "DRIVPARM.ARC". I tried the fix on my IBM 3.3 BIOS and
was not successful. The change went as documented. All addresses were the
same as the author described in the example. When I boot with the
DRIVPARM= in my config.sys the system gives a COMMAND.COM bad or missing
message. Taking the DRIVPARM statement out cures the problem.

Has anybody made this change? Have you been successful in using the
DRIVPARM statment?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Doug Crompton  -  crompton@nadc.arpa  -  215-441-3200

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1989  11:25 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: DSZ X/Y/Zmodem pgm March 19 vers. now available from Simtel20

Now available from Simtel20:

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.ZMODEM>
DSZ0319.ARC			BINARY	 83968  A9D2H <--COM version & docs
DSZ0319X.ARC			BINARY	 46889  4467H <--EXE version

DSZ is a stand-alone program which saves comm port status, installs its
own comm interrupt handlers, sends or receives using ZMODEM, True
YMODEM(Tm), or XMODEM, and restores old comm port status before exiting.

Buffered RX/TX for good background performance.

"Talk" command for interactive operation and background transfers in <70k
DESQview etc. window.

Table driven CRC-32, Crash Recovery(Tm), advanced file management.

These files were downloaded directly from the author's BBS.

As I mentioned in my announcement of the previous version, I use the EXE
version because it's faster on my XT clone.  Using an interface speed of
19200 bps to my USR HST 9600 modem, I have been able to get a throughput
of 1108 cps on file transfers of already-compressed data.  The internal
compression in the modem is disabled.  It's a shame that the EXE version
isn't more widely distributed.  The only reason one might want to use the
COM version is for network file sharing or DesqView/DoubleDOS
multitasking.

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the CP/M & MSDOS archives at wsmr-simtel20.army.mil [26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

------------------------------

Date:     Wed, 22 Mar 89 14:14 CST
From:     Gene Wiggins <MANAGER%UNLASVAX.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject:  AT&T and DOS compatibility

We have an opportunity to participate in AT&T's University Special
Software program.  In this program, AT&T will match any purchase of
quaified '386 systems.  Two-for-the-price-of-one.

I need to know if anyone has had any experience using the following UNIX
machines with ill-behaved DOS programs.  We will be using LOTUS 1-2-3,
WordPerfect, DBASE III+, and AUTOCAD.

CPU 373
CPU 374
CPU 375
CPU 376

Please send a message directly to me as I am not signed up to this list.
Any prompt message about the usability of the DOS under UNIX would be
appreciated.

* Gene Wiggins - System Manager - College of Arts & Sciences *
* University of Nebraska - Lincoln; Lincoln, Nebraska, USA   *
* MANAGER@UNLASVAX.BITNET   or   MANAGER@ASADM.UNL.EDU       *

------------------------------

Date:     Mon, 20 Mar 89 20:16 N
From:     <MAKI%FINKUO.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject:  Remote Procedure Call

Does anyone have knowledge of programs providing Remote Procedure Call
(RPC) mechanism that could run upon Netbios.

I have heard there is a product called NETWISE-RPC or something like that
should provide that kind of service.  Does that product exist. Can anyone
give contact information.

Santtu Maki

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 89 13:41:18 -0900
From: <GSRLR%ALASKA.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Manipulating Very Large Files with DOS

I am manipulating very large files under DOS on an IBM-PC clone.  Because
of the enormous file size involved, it is not practical for me to do
step-wise backups of the files, though in the event of mistakes I still
want to be able to roll-back the changes if possible.

My idea is to use a tracking program that will log my keystrokes to a file
on my hard drive so that I will have a journal to use later if I need to
roll-back my changes...much like the journalling that exists on mainframes
running DBMS's.  Ideally, this routine would alter the keyboard driver
interupt so that it wrote to the journal file as an added feature of
normal keyboard services.  It should be possible to switch this function
on and off using a hot-key combination of some sort.

So, does anyone know where I can find such a routine, hopefully one in
public domain?

Thank you for your help.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1989  16:48 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: NCSA Telnet with TN3270 support now available from Simtel20

A new version of NCSA Telnet with TN3270 support is now available from
Simtel20.

Version 2.2TN is an upgraded copy of version 2.2C with support for a
single Tn3270 session concurrent with simultanous non-3270 telnet
sessions. A full description of new features and bug fixes are included at
the end of this notice.  A similar version without the 3270 support is
also included.  It has all the bug fixes and other enhancements as version
2.2TN but without the 3270 support, its called version 2.2D.

The following files are available in directory pd1:<msdos.ncsatelnet>

NCSABIN.ARC	contains the binaries for tn3270.exe, telbin.exe
		telpass.exe, ftpbin.exe, tncpp.exe, a sample
		config.tel and various 3270 support files.
		tn3270.exe is identical to telbin.exe except that
		it has 3270 datastream support.

NCSASRC.ARC	contains the source for all programs, requires
		turbo C 2.0.  The ARC files within this archive
		should each be placed in their own directories
		with the same name as each archive.

README.TXT	this file

NCSADOC.ARC	contains updated documentation. This is version 2.2C
		documentation with additional margin comments
		describing new features.

DRIVERS.EXE	is a copy of drivers from sun.soe.clarkson.edu's
		directory pub/ka9q/drivers.exe

Be advised that the old SLIP8250 driver has a bug and will not work with
this version of telnet.

Comments, bugs and suggestions to:
	Brad Clements
	Network Engineer
	Educational Resources Center
	Clarkson University
	Potsdam, NY 13676
	(315)268-2292
	bkc@omnigate.clarkson.edu

The following is updatetn.doc - describes updates and bug fixes to this
version.

NCSA Version 2.2D and Version 2.2TN bug fixes and enhancements

This file describes bug fixes from version 2.2C and enhancements added to
make version 2.2TN/D. Enhancements added apply to both 2.2D and 2.2TN
except where noted. Bug fixes apply to both equally.

Enhancements:

        1. Version 2.2TN (only) now supports a single 3270 connection to
VM hosts concurrent with simultanous regular telnet sessions.  The 3270
code is based on version 4.1.1 of Unix tn3270 developed by Greg Minshall
of Berkeley and is Copyright (C) 1988 by the Regents of California.  (this
is the only portion of NCSA Telnet 2.2TN that is not public domain) TN3270
emulation supports 25, 32 and 43 line 3270 screens as well as 7171
datastreams to the TEK screen, VTscreen or capture file.

        2. Telnet negotiation options are now expanded, the console
provides detailed indications of the negotions. New options supported:
Terminal Type (will send VT102, or IBM-3278) NAWS (Notify About Window
Size) to automatically inform the host about your window size (43 lines,
35 lines etc).  EOR  (for 3270) Binary  (only in 3270 mode, normal telnet
connections refuse binary mode (due to limitations in CMU-TEK-TCP for VMS)

        3. Program Status, reports on stack depth used and remaining free
memory.

        4. Ansi set color escape sequences are now supported, as well as
Ansi print through and screen dump escape sequences.  (Thanks to David
Camp of Washington University Medical School).

        5. Screen Dump (ALT-D) to capture file.

        6. The Packet Driver interface now supports SLIP mode, but
requires packet drivers compatible with FTP specification version 1.08 or
above.

        7. A built in screen saver is provided, with variable delay from 0
to 60 minutes (0 disables the screen saver).

        8. Escape to dos (ALT-E) works from server mode.

        9. Telnet now automatically switches into 43 or 35 line mode if
run on an EGA and the -l option was specified. 50 line mode works under
MSwindows, but is not automatically supported under telnet.

        10. The parameters menu can now set BOLD and BLINK for foreground
and background colors.

Bug Fixes - This section describes bugs fixed since version 2.2C

        1. A change was made in the lowwater/receive window code to cause
an updated rwindow packet to be sent to hosts when the water mark passed
the halfway point. Previously an update packet was sent after passing the
600 byte mark. This improves performance when cat'ing large files to the
screen, and removes long pauses that had occured previously.

        2. The FTPBIN client now works. There is a limitation in the
ni5210 driver which causes it to crash if maxseg is larger than 1098
bytes. The maxseg now has an upper limit of 1024 for all cards. (this
should be made more robust in the future, pending decisions by FTP
software on how the Packet Driver is to handle maxseg)

        3. The domain name lookup routines, when using a domainslist,
would skip to the next search entry if a lookup timeout occured.  It has
been fixed to skip to the next entry only if a 'host not found' error is
returned.

        4. The parameters menu used to save the parameters even if <ESC>
was pressed (where normally F1 is used to save the params).  Also, there
was a bug that would keep the terminal type from being reset to VT102 if
it was set to DUMB. Both problems have been fixed.

        5. There was a problem in the FTP server when performing an mget
fred/*. The files returned to the host would have a \ rather than a /.
This has been fixed. Also, the server would attempt to upload the
directories . and .. during an mget.

        6. When exiting telnet in 43 line mode, often telnet would not
correctly reset the video configuration. This has been fixed, and now
works correctly for both 43 and 35 line operation.

Date: Mon, 20 Mar 89 13:03:04 EST
From: browning@cme.nbs.gov (Ted Browning)
Subject: ADA tutorial in <msdos.ada>

Have you used the ada tutorial under msdos.ada?  If you have, did you use
the Verdix compiler?  I am having problems getting it to run.  Any
assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Ted Browning

National Institute of Standards and Technology   UUCP: {...}!uunet!cme!browning
(formerly National Bureau of Standards)          ARPA: browning@cme.nbs.gov
Gaithersburg, MD  20899

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1989  00:20 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: XMS20.ARC and HIMEM206.ARC on Simtel20 removed

Microsoft has asked that we delete pd1:<msdos.sysutl>XMS20.ARC and
HIMEM206.ARC.  They found a serious problem which was introduced in this
version.  It is being corrected and we should have the new version in a
week or so.  I will send out an announcement when the files are available.

--Keith

------------------------------

Date: 24 Mar 89  18:24:46 gmt
From: D.Murphy%edinburgh.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Subject: Borland 8087 support

I wonder if anyone else has noticed this ? I was testig relative
performance with and without an 8087 using Borland Turbo C v1.5 and
ProFortran. The test I used was to model a system based on the old
explanation for retrograde palentary motion - i.e. each planet orbits a
point and the point orbits the centre of the system. The program
calculated x, y coordinates for the planet at times incremented by 0.01
second given the radii of the 2 orbits and the angular velocity in each of
the circular motions.

The Turbo C code was ca. 10K smaller when compiled for the 8087 (due to
the lack of emulator code) than the emulated executable. The ProFortran
execuatble was 5K smaller when using 8087 than when emulating the floating
point.  However, when run, there was no difference in execution time with
Turbo C between emulated floating point and 8087 code. With ProFortran
there was a tenfold difference (the programs were slightly different
between the 2 languages so they cannot be compared directly, although
TurboC was faster than ProFortran without 8087 code but ProFortran was
faster with it).

Can anybody explain this? Does Borland have incredibly fast 8087
emulation or lousy 8087 support or a mixture of the 2 ?

By the way - I have no connection with Borland or with Prospero software -
these are only observations that I'd like to know the reason for.

Murff...

D.Murphy@uk.ac.edinburgh
trinity@uk.ac.ed.cs.tardis

Chemistry Dept.