Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (04/16/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 16 Apr 89       Volume 89 : Issue  39

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                      ASCII File XFER via Kermit
                             COM3 problem
                            Detecting a VGA
                        File Transfer Problems
            File Transfer Protocol Information Requested
                  File Transfer Problems/Questions
              Information on IBM Networking Requested
           File Transfer Protocol Information Requested
                         Formatting Diskettes
                        FTP ACCESS TO SIMTEL20
                     Greek work processor needed
                    HDFORMAT uploaded to SIMTEL20
            INFO-IBMPC archives?  Random number generator?
                      Microprocessor Info Wanted
                   Museum database software wanted
                New msdos uploads to Simtel20 (2 msgs)
         SNAP! ver 3.12 documentation pgm for dBASE uploaded
                Transferring TRS80 disks to PC/MS-DOS
      Updated XMS20.ARC and HIMEM206.ARC available from Simtel20
                Problems with WSMR-SIMTEL20.army.mil
      Wanted: PD IBM-PC Word Processor using a TeleVideo Terminal
               Wanted:  VGA Screen Dump to LaserJet II

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 89 11:05:48 EST
From: Joel Saunders <RJFS%SNYCENVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.ccs.cornell.edu>
Subject: ASCII File XFER via Kermit

I would like to know if Kermit supports file transfer protocols other than
Kermit.  Specifically, I would like to be able to do DUMB ASCII file
transfer.

The application would be as follows:

    The user would execute an IBM CICS mainframe transaction and would be
presented with a typical CICS data entry screen.  The keystrokes that
should be typed (data,tabs,etc) are in an ASCII file.  The user would then
do an ASCII file xfer that would fill all of the fields of the CICS
screen.  The user would then retain keyboard control , hit enter and fix
any data that the application indicated with errors.

I had this work before, running the IBM 3101 Emulation Pgm, via a 7171.
Since installing the LAN, the XT has experienced "Receive buffer
overflows".

All of our Async PC connects have been converted to KERMIT, except this
one because of the file xfer requirement.  I would love it if Kermit could
handle ASCII file xfers.

We tried PROCOMM, but Procomm ASCII file xfer doesn't recogize the DOS EOF
(Hex 1A) and transmits some extra garbage characters after the EOF.

We are also looking into SMARTTERM and possibly HLLAPI via 3270 via the
LAN but KERMIT would be our first choice.

Please respond directly to my address and I will summarize all responses.

Thanks.... Joel

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 89 0:06:23 GMT
From: MITRE-KOREA@SEOUL-EMH1.ARMY.MIL
Subject: COM3 problem

I installed a 3rd serial port in my XT clone recently.  It seems to be
working quite well, with one small but annoying glitch.  I have it set up
as follows:

     COM1:  mouse   (a QUICKE mouse pretending its a Microsoft mouse)
     COM2:  serial printer
     COM3:  modem   (Practical Peripherals 2400)

The AUTOEXEC.BAT file loads the mouse software and sets the appropriate
mode for the COM2 to support the printer.

The installation instructions for the serial port noted that DOS only
recognizes COM1 and COM2, but that many software packages can support
higher numbered serial ports.  I am using Procomm 2.4.2 as a comm package.
It supports COM3 fine.  The instructions also noted that because COM1 and
COM3 use the same interrupt (IRQ4), they could not be used at the same
time.  I suspect the problem is somehow related to this.

The glitch is this:  when I initially enter procomm, it does not recognize
signals returned from the modem.  It does send to the modem.  If I type
AT, I can see the receive and transmit lights on the modem, but procomm
never displays the "OK".  It will happily dial, and I can hear the dialing
and the connection being made.  However, procomm never "sees" the CONNECT
message from the modem.  Consequently it never finalizes the connection.

This would be more than a "glitch" except for one thing.  All I have to do
to clear up the problem is to click the mouse buttons a few times.  After
the first time I can use the modem naturally.  So I can communicate with
no real problem.

Of course, this means I have to be there to click the mouse, and can't use
the nice batch program and script file that I have to do the log-on.

Is there any way to get rid of this glitch?

Thanks in advance.

If you don't think your answer would be of general interest, please reply
direct to me at MITRE-KOREA@seoul-emh1.army.mil

Dan Jones

------------------------------

Date:     Mon Mar 27 16:24:41 1989
From:     Gonzalo Rojas C. <LISTVIR@USACHVM1>
Subject:  Detecting A VGA

   How i can detect if a computer have an EGA/VGA Graphic Adapter...?  I
need the answer related to assembly language or turbo c 2.0.

Thanks in advance ....

------------------------------

Date:     Sun,  26 Mar 89 15:41:11 +0200
From:     <ECAA100%BGUNOS.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject:  File Transfer Problems

i have a problem that is about transfering binary files through BITNET i
am working on a cyber 840 with NOS and my friend works with an IBM
mainfraim we tried uuencoding the programs but it didnt worked because
there is a problem with ascii 91 93 94 . i had been told that this is due
to the EBCDIC to ascii transfer.  can any one help us out.

thanks in advance

Aroshas Eli
ECAA100@BGUNOS.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Mar 89 08:22 EDT
From: BAUCO@CSBN.Concordia.CA
Subject: File transfer Problems/Questions

    I hope I'm asking this in the right forum.  I have begun to download
software (from LISTSERV@RPICICGE) via BITNET.  Since the programs are
encoded, after removing the headers and footers, I've run them through the
program uudecode.bas to decode them.  Theoretically (if I'm doing things
right) I should be able to run files with the extension .EXE or I should
be able to Dearchive them.  Unfortunately, after I decode the file
PK361.EXE which I need to dearchive other programs, things work fine for a
short while and then I get a "File fails CRC check" message.  [The file
PK361.EXE is a 'self extracting archive.  Execute the program to extract
the files...]

    I've also noticed that after running a file through the UUDECODE.BAS
program, the output file is much smaller in size than the input file.  Can
anyone notice something I'm doing wrong?  [You would expect the output
file to be smaller than the input file.  The UUENCODE program makes three
bytes out of two bytes so that it can be transferred as 'text'.  The
UUDECODE process reverses this.  That is, it makes two bytes out of
three.]

    I'm downloading via Bitnet Mail on a Microvax.  I hope you can help.

Thanks
Pat Bauco

BAUCO@CSBN.CONCORDIA.CA

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Mar 89 11:22:18 EST
From: <e47836%trmetu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: File transfer Protocol Information Requested

 I am investigating FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOLS as my term project.  I need to
locate some manuals ,books, or articles on these protocols.  I would
prefer something that has both high level concepts along with the specific
TECHNICAL details ,especially for IBM compatible micros.

  Can anyone out there with names and sources for such manuals,books and
articles ?

THANKS FOR any help

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Mar 89 15:18:53 +02
From: <e47836%trmetu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: Information on IBM Networking Requested

  I am a thrid year student from the Computer Science Department at Metu
in Turkey.  I have a project about networks and need information on IBM
networks.  If someone could tell me sources, names and so on, I'd really
appreciate it.  [Maybe schools have changed, but when I was in school, I
had to look up my own references in the library...  Called 'research' I
think...]

THANKS..
E47832@TRMETU

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Mar 89 09:43:18 SET
From: Karl Keyte <ESC1332%ESOC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Formatting Diskettes

I have been trying to write a program in Turbo-C (v2.0) to format
diskettes.  I am using an AT with a 1.2MB drive, and I would like to be
able to format in 360K, 1.2M and maybe some other unusual formats.
However, I have been unsuccessful in formatting any disks at all.  I'm
using the 'biosdisk()' call to do the format, but the disk won't verify
afterwards.  It seems that it keeps confusing the 360K and 1.2M formats,
and I can't get the BIOS 'set disk type' call to work reliably.

Has anyone got a piece of 'C' with a disk formatting example?  I would be
very grateful for some help.  I have tried various things now, such as
checking the sector mark array, etc., so I don't think the problem is too
obvious.  Maybe someone else has gone through all this before?

Please mail directly to me rather than going back via this board. If
anyone's interested in the answers, let me know and I'll forward them
either directly or back here if there are lots of queries.

Thanks,
Karl, West Germany

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Apr 89 11:40:54 -0900
From: <GSRLR%ALASKA.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: FTP ACCESS TO SIMTEL20

I have attempted to ftp programs from the PD1:<MSDOS.*> collection at
Simtel20 (26.0.0.74) via anonymous FTP.  Our site is a VAX/VMS site.
Nothing I get in binary form from SIMTEL20 is anything but gibberish after
the first line of the file, which has the name of one of the supposedly
.ARCed files, and nothing else that any dearchiviing program I have tried
can make sense of.

I have attempted FTP's with all possible combinations of settings, yet
nothing helps.

Is there an FTP expert out there who can help me with this, or can
somebody suggest another FTP source for these programs?  I would just use
BITNET to get the stuff I want, but there is a 32K limit for BITNET
movement at this site per day.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 02 Apr 89 20:15:50 CST
From: Francois Lachance <LACHANFR%UREGINA1.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Greek work processor needed

I would like to know if there are any word processor for Greek that is
shareware/pd out there.  This would be for a teacher teaching a class of
old greek and not modern Greek (I'm not sure if there is any difference)
This would be to run on an normal PC type of computer...

Please reply directly to the following address:

LACHANFR@UREGINA1.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 02 Apr 89 14:48:42 CET
From: "Christoph H. Hochstaetter" <HOCHSTAE%DMRHRZ11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: HDFORMAT uploaded to SIMTEL20

Now available from Simtel20:

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.DSKUTL>
HDFORMAT.ARC			BINARY	 27776  109EH

I wrote a program called HDFORMAT, which can format MSDOS 360 kB Disks
with increased capacity.  It can also format 720 kB Disks in 1.2 MB
AT-Drives.

Its advantage over other formatting software on the SIMTEL20 archive is,
that it increases the storage of all standard disks (360 kB, 720 kB, 1.2
MB and 1.44 MB) up to 300 kB additional storage (e.g. format 1.44 MB Disks
in an 1.2 MB 5 1/4" Drive), that it runs also on less compatible PCs and
that works perfectly with DOS 3.2 and up.  It will not work with prior
Versions, because these Versions do not read the complete BIOS Parameter
Block (BPB) of the Disks, but only the Media Descriptor Byte. So special
formats are not recognized.

The archive includes executables, doc and sources.

I hope the SIMTEL20 Users like the program

Christoph

                        Christoph H. Hochstaetter
                      Philipps-Universitaet Marburg

Buero/Office:                                              Privat/Private
Fachbereich Wirtschaftswissenschaften
Universitaetsstr. 25                                  Carl-Strehl-Str. 20
3550 Marburg                                                 3550 Marburg
Phone: +49 6421 28-3895                             Phone: +49 6421 14618

BITNET/EARN/NETNORTH: HOCHSTAE@DMRHRZ11
INTERNET:             HOCHSTAE%DMRHRZ11@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
UUCP:                 DMRHRZ11.BITNET!HOCHSTAE

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1989  00:52 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: INFO-IBMPC archives?  Random number generator?

Date: Mon, 03 Apr 89 21:26:59 CDT
From: University Honors Program <UHP%MSSTATE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Microprocessor Info Wanted

My roommate recently asked me to explain the difference between the
processors in an IBM-PC (original), an IBM-PC/XT, and an IBM-PC/AT, as
well as the newer 80286 and 80386 processors.  I started to explain and
managed to mix myself up more than my roommate was to begin with.

If anyone has a concise explanation of the differences (speed, which
processor is in which computer, etc.), I would appreciate one.

[Do you want the discussion limited to the 80XXX family?  Or do you want
the 68XXX family thrown in as well...?]

A little about the new PS/2's would also be helpful.

[Computer Shopper had a 'history' of Microprocessors recently..  I have
seen others in either Byte or PC Magazine.]

Thanks in advance-

William D. Henry (Bill)       Mailing Address:
University Honors Program     P.O. Box 3969
Mississippi State University  Miss. State, MS  39762
UHP@MsState.BITNET
Phone:  (601)325-2522

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Mar 89 15:09 EST
From: <COFER%UTKVX3.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Museum database software wanted

Does anyone have information on a database program designed to manage
museum collections, especially museum photograph &/or artifact
collections.  Any information would be appreciated.

John L. Cofer
COFER@UTKVX.BITNET

All disclaimers apply

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1989  14:55 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: New msdos uploads to Simtel20

I have uploaded the following new MSDOS files to Simtel20.
All files are on the PD1: device.

 <msdos.arc-lbr>ARCE40C.ARC    V.Buerg's fast ARC extraction program
 <msdos.arc-lbr>ARCV121.ARC    V.Buerg's verbose display of ARC directories
    <msdos.arc-lbr>AV20.ARC    Views files from ZOO, PKPAK, ARC, PAK, LU, SQ
<msdos.arc-lbr>LHARC10E.COM    New, tighter, compression utility from Japan
     <msdos.at>GSETUP31.ARC    AT setup program runs from DOS; supports 3.5''
 <msdos.dirutl>DELDUP23.ARC    Delete files already in another subdirectory
 <msdos.dskutl>DISKDUMP.ARC    Display any sector on disk
 <msdos.dskutl>L-RMND12.ARC    Reminds you when it's time to backup files
 <msdos.dslutl>ZERODISK.ARC    Erase unallocated disk blocks - with C source
   <msdos.editor>VDE131.ARC    Small fast WordStar-like text editor
      <msdos.gif>VPIC14.ARC    GIF/MAC/PCX/ColorRix pics view/convert v1.4
  <msdos.printer>DMP200.ARC    Resident print spooler w/mult. features
 <msdos.txtutl>SORTF232.ARC    V.Buerg's fast text sort utility
      <msdos.zip>DELZIP.ARC    Delete files in subdirectory already in ZIP
      <msdos.zoo>STUFF2.ARC    Generate filenames & pathnames to feed ZOO

Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the CP/M & MSDOS archives at wsmr-simtel20.army.mil [26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1989  00:45 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

I have uploaded the following MSDOS files to Simtel20.  All are on
the PD1: device.

    <msdos.arc-lbr>ZZAP31.ARC    Convert files between ZIP and ARC
         <msdos.at>CMOSER.ARC    AT CMOS setup/save utility
<msdos.education>FREN1-23.ARC    Language Teacher series - French 1 - ver 2.3
<msdos.education>FREN2-23.ARC    Language Teacher series - French 2 - ver 2.3
<msdos.education>GERM1-23.ARC    Language Teacher series - German 1 - ver 2.3
<msdos.education>GERM2-23.ARC    Language Teacher series - German 2 - ver 2.3
<msdos.education>ITAL1-23.ARC    Language Teacher series - Italian 1 - ver 2.3
<msdos.education>SPAN1-23.ARC    Language Teacher series - Spanish 1 - ver 2.3
<msdos.education>SPAN2-23.ARC    Language Teacher series - Spanish 2 - ver 2.3
     <msdos.menu>3DMENU11.ARC    Three dimensional color menu system
   <msdos.sysutl>TSRCOM28.ARC    Manage TSRs - Mark/Release - big change
   <msdos.sysutl>TSRSRC28.ARC    Sources for TSRCOM28 pgms. need TPAS5 & TASM

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1989  16:06 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: SNAP! ver 3.12 documentation pgm for Dbase uploaded

Date: Sat, 1 Apr 89 12:24:14 CST
From: pnet01!pro-sol!pro-newfrontier!fsc@nosc.mil
Subject: Transferring TRS80 disks to PC/MS-DOS

I currently have a set of disks from a customer that was formatted under
DOSPLUS.  I would like to do two things.  First, I want to get it from
DOSPLUS to LDOS v.5.x or TRSDOS v.6.  From there I want to read the data
from these disks into MS-DOS.  Are there any PD or shareware utilities
that will allow me to do the above steps.  I am sending from a ProLine
site, so I am not able to FTP. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[If you're going from CP/M to MSDOS, Zenith has a program called RDCPM
that'll do the trick.  I wonder if there's one to go the other way? gph]

Randy Miller
unix: crash!brl.mil!pro-newfrontier!rs.miller
inet: rs.miller@pro-newfrontier.cts.com
ProLine: rs.miller@pro-newfrontier

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1989  23:49 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Updated XMS20.ARC and HIMEM206.ARC available from Simtel20

Now available from Simtel20:

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC
Directory PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>
HIMEM206.ARC.2			BINARY	  8887  A7D8H
XMS20.ARC.2			BINARY	127544  F7ACH

These fix a problem which was recently brought to Microsoft's attention.
The problem only existed on people with 80286 (not 80386) systems which
were using the extended memory blocks (EMBs) of HIMEM, not the high memory
area (HMA). The 286 extended memory move function of HIMEM was not being
initialized.

Unfortunately Microsoft decided to keep the same version numbers and
filenames.  You can tell if you have the updated version by the checking
the file dates.  Here are the directory listings of the new versions just
uploaded to Simtel20:

Archive HIMEM206.ARC
Name          Length    Stowage    SF   Size now  Date       Time    CRC
============  ========  ========  ====  ========  =========  ======  ====
HIMEM.SYS         6266  Crunched   35%      4124  21 Mar 89   2:06a  E450
HIMEM.TXT         5735  Crunched   50%      2892  21 Mar 89   2:06a  9723
HIMEM206.DOC      3037  Crunched   42%      1782  21 Mar 89   2:06a  E9AF
        ====  ========            ====  ========
Total      3     15038             42%      8798

Archive XMS20.ARC
Name          Length    Stowage    SF   Size now  Date       Time    CRC
============  ========  ========  ====  ========  =========  ======  ====
CLIB.ARC         14382     --       0%     14382  21 Mar 89   2:06a  5BB0
HIMEM.SYS         6266  Crunched   35%      4124  21 Mar 89   2:06a  E450
OEMSRC.ARC       47179     --       0%     47179  21 Mar 89   2:06a  7128
README.TXT        1519  Crunched   40%       912  21 Mar 89   2:06a  599C
SPEC.ARC         18280     --       0%     18280  21 Mar 89   2:06a  6712
TESTS.ARC        40114     --       0%     40114  21 Mar 89   2:06a  3FAD
XMS20.DOC         4184  Crunched   44%      2348  21 Mar 89   2:06a  C9A7
        ====  ========            ====  ========
Total      7    131924              4%    127339

Thanks to Lee Fisher of Microsoft Corp. for providing the new files to
Simtel20.

Date: Sat, 1 Apr 89 21:10:56 EST
From: Kalman Schecter <kms@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu>
Subject: Problems with WSMR-SIMTEL20.army.mil

Here at columbia university we have not received any updates on the
info-ibm-pc notes files since March 12.  Also, I have found it impossible
to log in to SIMTEL using any of these addresses: 26.0.0.74, 26.0.1.74,
26.0.2.74, 26.0.3.74.  Are you guys having some problems or is this a
problem local to Columbia?  Thanks for your time.

[Our host changed it's address: its now at [26.2.0.74]

KMS

------------------------------

Date: 27 Mar 89 18:44:14 GMT
From: orawest!brian@unix.sri.com
Subject: Wanted:  PD IBM-PC word processor using a televideo terminal

I would like to find a public domain word processor for the PC that I can
make work on a televideo 925.  I can redirect console to the terminal if
necessary.  I was hoping that one of the editors available for both Unix
and the PC could be adapted, or maybe just one which has the screen
and keyboard code in one simple file.  Function keys might be a problem, but
the terminal I have in mind does have 11 function keys across the top.

As a word processor I hope the chosen code will do word wrap, maybe
reformat paragraphs (left justified), maybe recognize sentences and
paragraphs in movement and deletion actions.

thanx for any help.
Brian Kahn
{rutgers!sri-unix | hplabs!sri-unix | unix.sri.com}!orawest!brian

------------------------------

Date: 25 Mar 89 19:36:02 GMT
From: eleazar!boomer@dartvax.dartmouth.edu (Rich Akerboom)
Subject: Wanted:  VGA Screen Dump to LaserJet II

The title says it all.  I am working on a PS/2, Model 80 in VGA mode and
I would like to do screen dumps to my LaserJet II (under DOS 3.3).  I am
able to do screen dumps in CGA mode but not EGA or VGA mode.

I understand from friends that enhanced versions of "Graphics.com" have been
written that accomplish this task.  I have tried to look for them at the
SIMTEL20 archive, but so far I have not been able to connect to SIMTEL20.
From what I hear, this is likely because the machine is very busy.

I would appreciate pointers on accessing SIMTEL20, the names and directory
location of programs(s) on SIMTEL20 that may meet my needs (so I can get in
and out quickly), pointers to any other archives that may not be so heavily
used or any other relevant pointers.

If I am missing anything obvious here, please excuse me as I normally work with
other systems.

Also if anyone has experience printing from TrueBasic to a LaserJet II, please
let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Rich Akerboom    Internet:  boomer@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

End of Info-IBMPC Digest