Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (04/18/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Mon, 17 Apr 89       Volume 89 : Issue  40

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                    /PDGET & /PDDIR documentation
Announcement: Electronic Music List now on the air (MIDI,Synth,Micro)
                       Automatic Reply Service
          C source for LHarc's LZHuff compression algorithm
                    Day-of-week algorithm, anyone!
                   Dictionary file of words wanted.
           File: "IBMPC-L MAIL" being sent to you (2 msgs)
                      Hard Disk Recovery People?
                     HDFORMAT renamed to FDFORMAT
     Improved SIMCVT program to print Simtel20 file descriptions
                      Info-IBMPC Digest V89 #38
                          Mail to me at CAF
                           Memory question
         MicroEMACS version 3.10 now available from Simtel20
              NCSA Telnet upload announcement correction
Printed circuit board viewer/printer CAD package uploaded to Simtel20
           Simtel20 MSDOS index (with descriptions) updated
                    Tektronix 4963DX printer utils
                              TIFF SPECS
                     Zenith 248 IRQ & DMA & Ports

Date: Thursday, 30 March 1989  11:29-MST
From: Public domain software servers <PCSERV-L%RPIECS.BITNET at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: /PDGET & /PDDIR documentation

At long last I've made available what I hope is reasonable documentation for
the software servers at NDSUVM1 and RPIECS (formerly RPICICGE).  It is in the
PCSERV-L filelist under the name PDGET HELP.  The CMS command to get a copy
is:
     TELL LISTSERV AT RPIECS GET PDGET HELP PCSERV-L

(The old host name RPICICGE should work as well.)  Constructive comments are
encouraged.  Additions, particularly for the "Getting Started" section, will be
graciously accepted.  (I'd like to provide some information for JANET
users....)

Regards,
JSFisher

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Apr 89 16:30 EST
From: "Kevin Cole at Gallaudet U. Washington DC" <CADS_COLE%GALLUA.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Announcement: Electronic Music List now on the air (MIDI,Synth,Micro)

Date sent:  15-MAR-1989 17:58:03

EMUSIC-L@AUVM.BITNET  (and EMUSIC-D@AUVM.BITNET)

    EMUSIC is a complementary pair of lists (EMUSIC-L for undigested mail,
    EMUSIC-D for the moderately edited digest) devoted to the discussion of
    Electronic Music.

    Topics of interest include (but are not limited to): synthesis methods,
    algorithmic composition, psychoacoustics, timbral research, instrument
    design, MIDI troubleshooting, new tricks for old machines, musique
    concrete, pedagogic methods, performance techniques, reviews of current and
    historical musical and technical trends, announcements of events, papers,
    homegrown sounds and software.

    The EMUSIC-D FILELIST contains the archive of the discussions to date as
    well as data files, programs and other materials of interest to the Elec-
    tronic Music community.

    To add yourself to the list, send the command
      SUBSCRIBE EMUSIC-L Your_Full_Name       (for undigested mail)
           or
      SUBSCRIBE EMUSIC-D Your_Full_Name       (for digested mail)
    via mail to LISTSERV@AUVM.BITNET or LISTSERV%AUVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
    (Internet) where Your_Full_Name is your real name (not your userid).  To
    remove yourself from the list send the command
      SIGNOFF EMUSIC-L  (or SIGNOFF EMUSIC-D)

    Moderator: Eric Harnden  <EHARNDEN@AUVM.BITNET>

 Kevin Cole      <Flatline>           |  Bitnet: CADS_COLE@GALLUA.BITNET
 Center for Assessment and            |                  or
 Demographic Studies  (CADS)          |          KJCOLE@GALLUA.BITNET
 Gallaudet Research Institute  (GRI)  |  Internet: KJCOLE@GALLUX.GALLAUDET.EDU
 Washington, D.C.  20002              |  UUCP: ...!psuvax!gallua.bitnet!kjcole
 (202) 651-5575                       |  CompuServe: 76167,1406
  "The problem with opinions is that everyone's entitled to their own" - KJC

------------------------------

Date: 9 Apr 89 12:33
From: alden%dcc.DEC@decwrl.dec.com (Nostalgia isn't the way it used to be)
Subject: Automatic Reply Service

Howdy ...

I'm at German DECUS until April 7th.

If you have a question about the European Roadshow, specifically with regards
to Zurich or Italy, then please be patient, I will be periodically reading my
mail from DECUS and will get back to you as soon as possible. If it is for a
later country, then I will answer your question when I return.

You should receive only one copy of this mail, so please take note.

Cheers,
Ken

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1989  23:40 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: C source for LHarc's LZHuff compression algorithm

I don't usually repeat Usenet postings here but this is a significant
program source posting.  It is the compression code for the Japanese
LHarc program which has compression better than ZIP.

The file is in pd1:<msdos.arc-lbr>lzhsrc10.arc on Simtel20.

--Keith

Date: Fri, 07 Apr 89 22:39:31 EDT
From: The Time Traveler <HE891C%GWUVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Day-of-week algorithm, anyone!

I need an algorithm (preferably in FORTRAN, but anything will do)
that will return the day of the week (e.g. some number from 1 to 7)
given the date (e.g. 5/25/89).  My need is urgent.  Thanx in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Apr 89 03:16 EDT
From: <BCAMPBEL%DREW.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Dictionary file of words wanted.

I'm currently working on a computer science class team project
writing a program which will play boggle.  One of the hurdles we've
stumbled upon is finding a list of words to build a dictionary from.  The
ideal list would be a alphabetized text file of 50,000 - 100,000 words
9 letters long or less.  The words should all be proper words that you
would find in a Webster's.  (Basically, they have to be legal for the
game Boggle by Parker Brothers.)  Order doesn't really make that big
of a difference and longer words could be removed rather easily.

If anyone has anything that is close to this or has any information on
where I could get such a file, it would be most appreciated.  Please
reply to BCAMPBEL@DRUNIVAC.bitnet.  By the way, this has been
cross posted on info-vax, advise-l and ibmpc-l.  Thanks in advance.

                                Bill Campbell
                                Student Operator
                                Drew University

        Bitnet:                         U.S.Mail:
        BCAMPBEL@DRUNIVAC               36 Madison Avenue
        BCAMPBEL@DREW                   Drew University - Box 262
                                        Madison, NJ  07940

Please excuse me if this was posted twice.  The VMS version of News (5.4)
we run at this site is a bit buggy.  I suppose any information about a
newer version it would be useful as well.  :)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Apr 89 11:49:49 EST
From: Revised List Processor (1.5o) <LISTSERV%DEARN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: File: "IBMPC-L MAIL" being sent to you

Date: Thu, 6 Apr 89 11:38+0200
From: Bergmann@DMZRZU71
Subject: fortran to c translator
To: ibmpc-l@DEARN.BITNET

I am looking for a FORTRAN to C or Fortran to PASCAL translator.
I need it to convert mathematical programs, so there is no need for it,
to be very good in WRITE and other I/O-statements.

Please reply directly to

Bergmann@DMZRZU71.BITNET

Hans-Juergen Bergmann
Psychology Department
Universitaet Mainz
F.R.G.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Apr 89 21:41:25 EDT
From: Revised List Processor (1.5o) <LISTSERV%POLYGRAF@graf.poly.edu>

Date:         Sat, 08 Apr 89 09:35:49 CST
From:         b02z9002 <B02Z9002@TWNMOE10>
Subject:      help
To:           IBMPC-L@POLYGRAF

Dear INFO-IBMPC Digest ,

      I am Robert M. Sherry. I am a new comer in bitnet. How can I get
  information for group IBMPC-L.

Thanks,

                                 Robert Minkit Sherry

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Apr 89 17:49:58 CDT
From: david@wubios.WUstl.EDU (David J. Camp)
Subject: Hard Disk Recovery People?

Would someone please send me the name of a company that will recover the
data from a crashed hard disk for a fee?  Thank you,  -David-

Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wucs1!wubios!david          v      660 South Euclid
Washington University Medical School               Saint Louis, MO 63110

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1989  12:08 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: HDFORMAT renamed to FDFORMAT

Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1989  13:28 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Improved SIMCVT program to print Simtel20 file descriptions

Date: Sun, 9 Apr 89 10:29:08 -0500
From: RAMontante <bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>
Subject: Info-IBMPC Digest V89 #38

Re:  The question about Borland's 8087 support.  When emulating the 8087,
Turbo C still tests for the presence of an 8087 chip, and uses it if
present.  Thus "emulated" times on a machine with the coprocessor aren't
really timing the emulation code.

You can set an MS-DOS environment variable, "87", to force emulation (or
to force non-emulation, but this seems pointless).  Do:
        set 87=N
to eliminate the check for the coprocessor.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Apr 89 07:07:28 EDT
From: Michael S. Shanzer <shanzer@athena.mit.ed>
Subject: Mail to me at CAF

	Mailing to me at CAF is not a very reliable way to make sure I get
the message.. A much better path is "shanzer@athena.mit.edu". Please change
any references to shanzer@caf.mit.edu to this. If you do not know why you
are getting this letter, it is probably because some mailing list still has
an out of date address... Hopefully there are not very many of these..

				Mike Shanzer
----
Michael S. Shanzer
MIT Project Athena Systems Development
shanzer@athena.mit.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri 07 Apr 1989 03:38 CDT
From: GREENY <MISS026%ECNCDC.BITNET@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: Memory question

Hi all!

I have a friend who needs some information about memory, and would appreciate
any responses to be sent to me directly as I do not subscribe to the list.

At any rate, what he needs to know is how to install 640K of RAM into an
IBM PC/XT.  The board apparently will accept up to 256K of RAM, and currently
has 128K of RAM in two rows of 9; 4164 DRAM chips.

My question is: should he install another 18  4164 DRAMS and then use an
expansion card, or can he just install 36; 41256 DRAMS on the mother board?

Thankx in advance...
Bye for now but not for long
Greeny

BITNET: MISS026@ECNCDC
Internet: MISS026%ECNCDC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Apr 1989  15:10 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: MicroEMACS version 3.10 now available from Simtel20

Version 3.10 of the popular MicroEMACS text editor by Daniel Lawrence
is now available from Simtel20.

The following files are in directory pd1:<msdos.memacs>

UE310C.ARC      MicroEMACS 3.10 C source code
UE310CMD.ARC    MicroEMACS 3.10 Command and startup files
UE310DOC.ARC    MicroEMACS 3.10 Documentation
UE310H.ARC      MicroEMACS 3.10 Header and assembly files
UE310MAK.ARC    MicroEMACS 3.10 Makefiles and linkfiles
UE310110.ARC    MicroEMACS 3.10 EXE - HP 110 MSDOS portable
UE310150.ARC    MicroEMACS 3.10 EXE - HP 150 MSDOS
UE310ANS.ARC    MicroEMACS 3.10 EXE - MSDOS w/ANSI graphics
UE310DG.ARC     MicroEMACS 3.10 EXE - Data General 10 PC
UE310IBM.ARC    MicroEMACS 3.10 EXE - IBMPC MONO/CGA/EGA/VGA
UE310TI.ARC     MicroEMACS 3.10 EXE - Texas Inst. Professional
UE310Z3.ARC     MicroEMACS 3.10 EXE - Zenith 100 PC series

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of Simtel20's CP/M, MSDOS, and MISC archives
Internet: w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil [26.2.0.74]

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1989  12:35 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: NCSA Telnet upload announcement correction

Greg, I sent Info-IBMPC an announcement about the recent upload of
NCSA Telnet.  There has been a change in the description.  Please
substitute the name DRIVERS.ARC for DRIVERS.EXE and change that
paragraph to read:

DRIVERS.ARC	is a copy of drivers from sun.soe.clarkson.edu's
		directory pub/ka9q/drivers.exe, repackaged into an
		archive.

Thanks!

--Keith

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1989  13:48 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Printed circuit board viewer/printer CAD package uploaded to Simtel20

Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1989  12:57 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Simtel20 MSDOS index (with descriptions) updated

The index of Simtel20 MSDOS files, with descriptions, has just been
updated.  The file is PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.IDX.  An archived
version of the same file is in PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.ARC.

Simtel20, the following should provide the requested information:

  A list of all files in the <msdos> archives is contained in directory
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS> as follows:

NODESCR.IDX contains a listing of those files that do not have a discrip-
     tion.

SIMCVT.BAS is a BASICA/GWBASIC program to convert SIMIBM.IDX to a human-
     readable text file.  See also SIMCVT2.BAS and SIMCVT3.BAS.

SIMIBM.HDR contains a PC-File+ database header for use with SIMIBM.IDX.

SIMIBM.IDX contains a listing of all files that have a one line descrip-
     tion.  SIMIBM.IDX (updated monthly) is automatically created by
     taking the latest FILES.IDX (updated daily) and comparing it against
     a combined list of current files on several BBS systems.

Also available:

FILDIF.ARC a program for comparing a previous copy of PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX
     with a new copy.  It displays files added and deleted since you got an
     older index.  This is useful if you are trying to maintain an archive
     in sync with SIMTEL20.  It can generate output scripts for batch FTP
     processing.

SIMIBM.ARC contains the latest SIMIBM.HDR, SIMIBM.IDX, NODESCR.IDX,
     AAAREAD.ME (this file), SIMCVT.BAS, SIMIBM.DB3 (information on
     how to use the index with dBASEIII), and SIMIBM.INF (explains the
     fields in the index).

PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.ARC is updated at approximately one month inter-
     vals (more frequently, time permitting).

PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX is updated on a daily basis (sometimes several times
     a day when a lot of new files are uploaded).  This file is a comma-
     delimited file, suitable for importing into PC-File+ or DBase III.

It's impossible to make a daily updated list with descriptions with the
quantity of new programs available.  We average about 300 new files per
month.

Date: Thu, 6 Apr 89 09:50:43 EDT
From: "David A. Schultz  PAE  45988" <bft4667@belvoir-mail1.arpa>
Subject: Tektronix 4963DX printer utils

I have a Tektronix 4369DX color printer connected to my PC and would like
to know if anybody has a screen print program that works with it....

The printer works with the AT&T Vista RIO program but I would like
to use it with other graphics programs (incl GrafTalk).

Thanks
David Schultz
dschultz@belvoir-mail1.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Apr 89 08:21:50 PDT
From: EETP735%CALSTATE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: TIFF SPECS

If you'd like the TIFF specs, they are available from Aldus Corp.
in Seattle, Washington--They wrote TIFF.  206 622-5500.

This message appeared on the now defunct Desktop Publishing Group list
in Sep of 88.
It was submitted by jwhiting of Aldus.

Fran Holtsberry
Publications Editor
Computer Center
Cal State Chico

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Apr 89 09:45:16 EDT
From: "David A. Schultz  PAE  45988" <bft4667@belvoir-mail1.arpa>
Subject: Zenith 248 IRQ & DMA & Ports

I need a list of the IRQ,DMA channels on the Z248; defining which
ones are used by the various boards in the machine...esp the tape backup
port on the disk controller.

Also would like to know what I/O port address are presently not used by
the z248..

Please reply to both me and this list.

Date: Fri, 07 Apr 89 08:09:58 -0900
From: <GSRLR%ALASKA.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>

SUBJECT: Driver for terminal hung off COM1:

I have hung a WYSE, Model 50G dumb terminal off COM1 of
my WYSEpc386, Model 3216, using DOS redirection (viz. 'CTTY
COM1:').  This seems to work fine for any of the basic DOS
functions such as EDLIN, DIR etc.(N.B. MS-DOS 3.3), but
when I run application programs of nearly any flavour, I
find that they write to the computer's main console, not the
attached terminal.

My intention is to use the dumb terminal at times, using a short
bat file to switch from the main console to the terminal  and
back again when I want.  I am waiting for the picture to firm up
regarding the 386 multiuser operating systems before investing
in one, and planned to use the DOS redirection as a stop-gap
option.

I assume the trouble with application programs is the result of
the problem program's not using standard DOS calls and writing
directly to the screen or grabbing characters directly from the
keyboard.

My question is, does anyone know of a program that will allow me
to manage the troublesome application programs?  Please, don't
suggest the run of the mill communication programs.  I have already
exhaused attempts with them.

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------