Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (04/22/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sat, 22 Apr 89       Volume 89 : Issue  43

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                           Binary Transfers
                      File-Transfer IBM <-> CDC
                    Transferring files VAX <==> PC
                Re: File transfer Protocol Information
                           Day of the week
                          Detecting VGA Card
          Problem with correct page length and WordPerfect 5.0
               Macro Programming and WordPerfect 5.0
                   Package Programs for Marketing
                         COM3 Problem (2 msgs)
                            IBM Proprinter
                       ident Free-form Database
                          Kermit/ASCII Files
                           PC/BLUE updated
                          PULL42.ARC wanted
                   Q&A XT -> AT board swap problems
               Upgrading PC-AT with 80386 motherboard.
                    Using ZCOMM with speech output
                           Vax type editor
                     Ventura Publisher collection

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 89 22:05:27 PDT
From: Alan Ariel <1052P%NAVPGS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Binary Transfers

    Not being a VAX/VMS user myself I'm not sure if this is right for you,
but for most machines after your connection is established and you are
logged in, you need to type SET TYPE I and then SET TYPE L 8 before
retrieving bianry files.

Alan D. Ariel                               BITNET: 1052P@NAVPGS
LT        USN                               DDN:    1052P@CC.NPS.NAVY.MIL
SMC 1624                                    (or)    LEEKW@A.ISI.EDU
Naval Postgraduate School                   Tel:    (408) 646-2786
Monterey, CA 93943                          AV:     878-2786
Acknowledge-To: <1052P@NAVPGS>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Mar 89 09:25:33 +0100
From: Andre' PIRARD <A-PIRARD%BLIULG11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Re: File transfer Protocol Information

KERMIT A File Transfer Protocol
Frank da Cruz
Digital Press

Contains a lot of useful information about serial communication
and File transfer.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 89 04:27:15 CET
From: "Christoph H. Hochstaetter" <HOCHSTAE%DMRHRZ11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: File-Transfer IBM <-> CDC

>From:     <ECAA100%BGUNOS.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
>Subject:  File Transfer Problems
>
>I have a problem transfering binary files through BITNET.  I am working
>on a cyber 840 with NOS.  My friend works with an IBM mainfraim.  We
>tried uuencoding the programs but it didnt worked because there is a
>problem with ascii 91 93 94 . i had been told that this is due to the
>EBCDIC to ascii transfer.  can any one help us out.   thanks in advance

> Aroshas Eli ECAA100@BGUNOS.BITNET

The character translation problem with 91 93 94 occurs, while sending and
receiving files from/to the PC. Your friend on the IBM should use ARCUTIL.
This is a program for the IBM mainframe under VM/CMS, which does
uuencoding and uudecoding on the mainframe. The file transfer should be
done in binary mode with the non-uuencoded files. ARCUTIL is available
from LISTSERV@RPIECS.  Your friend just has to enter TELL LISTSERV AT
RPIECS GET ARCUTIL PACKAGE.  On a Cyber are no problems with the PC <->
HOST Transfer.

If it still doesn't work, try HC (Hexconv) which is available from
SIMTEL20.  The encoded files become longer, but only hexadecimal digits
are used. This causes no problems with the transfer.

Christoph

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Apr 89 09:00:02 EDT
From: emb978@leah.Albany.EDU (Eric M. Boehm)
Subject: Transferring files VAX <==> PC

I had the same problem you are having. I know of two solutions. You can
ftp bintnxvms.c from simtel20 (it is in the vax directory,
pd2:<misc.vaxvms> I think). This should be no problem since this is an
ascii file. You would then ftp a binary file in image or binary mode, run
it through bintnxvms, and then unarc it.

The second way is the send the command "quote type l 8" to simtel20 before
you begin your transfer. This will set the mode so *DON'T* ask for
binary/image mode after sending this command.

I have used both methods from our VAX without any trouble.

Eric M. Boehm
EMB978@ALBNY1VX.BITNET
EMB978@LEAH.ALBANY.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 89 21:58:49 PDT
From: Alan Ariel <1052P%NAVPGS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Kermit/ASCII Files

     I believe what you're looking for is the TRANSMIT command.  You drop
back to local mode in Kermit and type TRANSMIT file.txt where file.txt is
the name of the file you're sending.  Hope it helps !

Date: Wed, 19 Apr 89 10:02:24 MEZ
From: Erich Neuwirth <A4422DAB%AWIUNI11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Day of the week

The Time Traveler asks for a dayoftheweek algorith given a date.

Here is a function which can help to calculate weekdays from dates.  It
gives a sequential number to every day starting with October 15, 1582.

Just taking modulo 7 and adding the correct offset which one can find by
one experiment should give anothet funtion for the day of the week.

Ther is one problem however. This function will NOT work with 2-byte
integers as in Turbo3. So you either have to use long integers or reals to
get more precision.  That is the reason I do not supply the dayofweek
function because usually you have to make slight adjustmets to daynumber
before you can write dayofweek.

  FUNCTION daynumber(year, month, day : Integer) : Integer;
  VAR monthmod,
    yearmod : Integer;
  BEGIN
    IF (month < 3) THEN
      BEGIN
        yearmod := year-1;
        monthmod := month+12
      END
    ELSE
      BEGIN
        yearmod := year;
        monthmod := month
      END;
    daynumber := (365*yearmod)+(yearmod DIV 4)-(yearmod DIV 100)
    +(yearmod DIV 400)
    +Trunc((306*monthmod-914) div 10)
    +day-578042.0;
  END;

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 89 04:02:09 CET
From: "Christoph H. Hochstaetter" <HOCHSTAE%DMRHRZ11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Detecting VGA Card

>Date: Mon Mar 27 16:24:41 1989
>From: Gonzalo Rojas C. <LISTVIR@USACHVM1>
>Subject: Detecting A VGA
>
>   How i can detect if a computer have an EGA/VGA Graphic Adapter...? I
>need the answer related to assembly language or turbo c 2.0.
>
>Thanks in advance ....

Try the following:
                               +-- Replace with segment Register

                    MOV   AL,40H:49H: ; Get current Video-Mode
                    CMP   AL,7         ; Is it MDA or Hercules?
                    JZ    NO_VGA       ; Yes, no further tests
                    PUSH  AX           ; Save it for later
                    MOV   AX,0DH       ; Prepare Video-INT for Mode 13
                    INT   10H          ; Exceute Interrupt
                    POP   AX           ; Restore old mode
                    PUSHF              ; Save flags
                    XOR   AH,AH        ; Set AH to zero
                    INT   10H          ; Restore old mode
                    JNC   VGA_DETECT   ; Jump, if VGA is installed
      NO_VGA:       .....              ; Your code
                      .
                      .
                      .
      VGA_DETECT:   .....              ; Your code

This should work. The routine reads the current Video-Mode from 40:49.
Then tests, if it is a Hercules or a MDA Adapter. If not, the routine
tries to install Video Modus 13, which is only valid for VGA cards. If an
error is returned, there is no VGA card.  Note, that the screen is blanked
on a CGA/EGA/VGA, but not on a Hercules or MDA card.

Christoph

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 11 Apr 89 10:36:24 MET+0100
From:    ACEVERJ@HUTRUU0.BITNET
Subject: Problem in getting correct page length with WordPerfect 5.0

In a query dated Feb. 20, Chris Wooff asked about a problem he had in
using WordPerfect with a Quietwriter Model 2 printer. Specifically, when
using A4- sized paper, WordPerfect would print 54 lines of text on a page,
then print 5 more lines on the next page, print 54 lines on the next page,
and so on, while on screen the pages were 59 lines long.

I have encountered similar problems in trying to use WP with various
matrix and laser printers. Although Mr. Wooff does not mention the version
of WordPerfect he is working with, from his question I gather it must be
version 5.0. Two possible causes of the problem and two possible solutions
present thmeselves:

1) the printer possesses a paper-out detector which flashes its message to
the printer before the sheet to be printed has been filled. Solution:
disable the paper-out detector. Most printers can manage this via a dip
switch or under software control, i.e., with an escape sequence to be sent
by WP.  This involves modifying the printer definition for the printer or
sending a printer command imbedded in the text to be printed. It could,
for example, be put in with the initial codes in every document.

2) WordPerfect sends the printer codes which result in an incorrect page
length at the printer. Solution: modify the printer driver for the
printer, i.e., don't permit WordPerfect to send any page legth setting
codes. This can be done easily with the PTR program. As long as the
printer can accept a form feed code (ASCII-012) to eject paper, things
will probably run smoothly.  I presume the sending of faulty page length
codes is a bug in WordPerfect 5.0; if one takes a look at the HP Laserjet+
definition, for example, a code is found which works well if line spacing
is set at 6 lines per inch. The same codes are sent, however, if line
spacing is changed, which will result in pages which are either too long
or too short for the forms in use.

Sorry this response took so long; I don't read my mail all that regularly.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Apr 89 15:47 ADT
From: 01GORF%AC.DAL.CA@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu
Subject: Macro Programming and WordPerfect 5.0

I also have a problem with wp 5.0 which involves macro programming.  There
have been many programs in Pc Magazine concerning menus in wp 5.0 that
include the CASE command.  I haven't been able to get them to work at all.
It seems as if the program is in an infinite loop or something and all I
can do to correct it is to hit F1 (cancel).  Anyone out there have the
same problem?

terry grignon
dalhousie university
Halifax

------------------------------

Date:         Mon, 17 Apr 89 16:47:40 EDT
From:         "Dr.Yasar Hoscan" <YASAR@TRANAVM1>
Subject:      package programs for marketing

Dear members,

I'm looking for some package programs for marketing/sales management.  If
you could help me, I will be most appreciative.  Some programs I have seen
are listed below:

1. LAPTOP: A Marketing Simulation
2. COMPETE: A Dynamic Marketing Simulation,

and the like.

Does anyone know if these are available in Turkey?  Any other info?
Regards.

Dr.Yasar Hoscan

E-Mail Address               Post Address

YASAR at TRANAVM1            Anadolu Universitesi
                             Yunus Emre Kampusu
                             Bilgi Islem Merkezi
                             26470 - Eskisehir / TURKEY

------------------------------

Date:     Mon, 17 Apr 89 11:57 EDT
From:     <BRUCEH@UTKVX3>
Subject:  COM3 Problem

We had a user on our campus with the same problem using COM3 port and
procom.  He finally set up his autoexec.bat file to not load the mouse
driver.  He now only loads it when he needs it.  Also, it seems that part
of the driver stays in ram, so you must power the unit off, not just do a
ctrl/alt/del.  I don't know if this is entirely true, but that seems to
work for him.  If you get a better fix, I'd be interested.

Thanks,

Bruce Harrison
Univ. of Tenn. at Martin
Computer Center
Martin, TN  38238

BRUCEH@UTKVX  (bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Apr 89 08:17 PDT
From: "Jim Goes, Univ of Oregon" <GOES@oregon.uoregon.edu>

In Info-IBMPC Digest V89 #39, MITRE-KOREA@SEOUL-EMH1.ARMY.MIL writes:

>I installed a 3rd serial port in my XT clone recently.  It seems to be
>working quite well, with one small but annoying glitch.  I have it set up
>as follows:
>
>     COM1:  mouse   (a QUICKE mouse pretending its a Microsoft mouse)
>     COM2:  serial printer
>     COM3:  modem   (Practical Peripherals 2400)
>
>The glitch is this:  when I initially enter procomm, it does not recognize
>signals returned from the modem.  It does send to the modem.  If I type
>AT, I can see the receive and transmit lights on the modem, but procomm
>never displays the "OK".  It will happily dial, and I can hear the dialing
>and the connection being made.  However, procomm never "sees" the CONNECT
>message from the modem.  Consequently it never finalizes the connection.

Your mouse and modem are competing for IRQ3, the standard serial interrupt
for both COM1 and COM3.  Procomm is configurable for different serial port
specs, so that may provide a solution.  Alternatively, I'd reconfigure
your setup to place the printer on COM1 and mouse on COM2; since you're
less likely to be using the printer and modem at the same time.  You're
much more likely to be using the mouse and modem simultaneously.  Also
include the tiny program RS232OFF.COM in a batch file which calls Procomm.
This program re-initializes the serial ports and will clear any garbage
left on IRQ3.  I believe the program is available on SIMTEL20 in
PD1:<MSDOS.MODEM>.

Jim Goes                      |  InterNet   GOES@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Graduate School of Management |  UUCP:      {fav backbone}!uoregon!oregon!goes
University of Oregon          |  MaBell:    (503) 686-3309

Grad School. Its not just a job, it's an indenture...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 89 10:18 EDT
From: <TLEWIS%UTKVX2.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: IBM Proprinter

I'm trying to make an IBM Proprinter print in italics but haven't found an
escape sequence to do that.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Terry Lewis
Programmer/Analyst
University of Tennessee at Martin

TLEWIS@UTKVX   Bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Apr 89  20:50:30 EDT
From: Mitch%UMASS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Ident Free-form Database

Recently I've come across a wonderful program called Instant Access, from
a company called Precept. I found v1.64 (v1.60 is in the Simtel archives
and is basically the same) which was released in 8/86 or so, and searched
around for a newer version. Zip. This program allows you to keep notes (or
whatever) in a free-form database, and resident to boot, so if you need to
search for a piece of information relating to ANY WORD in the database,
you can get it easily. Does anyone have any info on this product or
company? Any alternatives, either shareware or commercial? I think a
commercial product called 'Tornado Notes' does the same thing, but I've
never used it.

                                             Mitch

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 1989  15:51 MDT
From: "Frank J. Wancho" <WANCHO@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: PC/BLUE updated

The latest releases of the PC/BLUE volumes have been received and uploaded
with ZCOMM as of today.  The volumes now extend to Volume 554 with a new
Volume 000.  The PC/BLUE collection is made available through the courtesy
of the New York Amateur Computer Club and distributed by the Regional
Coordinator of the Amateur Computer Club of New Jersey, Bob Todd.  This
collection is offered as-is with no warranties whatsoever.  The volumes
are in PD1:<PC-BLUE.VOLnnn>.

--Frank

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 1989   12:47:33   CET
From: AHA21%DK0RRZK0.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: PULL42.ARC wanted

I'm searching for the file PULL42.ARC (Shareware) of Eagle Performance
Software. The file was scheduled for release on 11- 06-88. Perhaps it is
located in the CompuServe Borland Forum (GO BPROGA) in the TP 4.0/5.0 Data
Libraries. I have no possibility to reach COMPUSERVE, therefore any help
would be appreciated.

Rainer Schnell
University of Cologne
AHA21@DK0RRZK1.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Mar 89 09:25:33 +0100
From: Andre' PIRARD <A-PIRARD%BLIULG11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Q&A XT -> AT board swap problems

I recently swapped my XT motherboard for a SUNTAC Baby AT one, and I find
it excellent and recommendable.

To anyone interested, the common problem of sometimes loosing the CMOS RAM
or Clock is caused by the XT power supply not dropping the power-good
signal soon enough when the machine is switched off.  A true AT-type power
should be OK.

But there is a trick to save the expense of a new power supply.  Using a
battery not in excess of 6V and lowering the power-good signal from 5V to
around 3.75V made for it. I shunted the P-G to ground with a 1.5 Kohm
resistor plugged on the power connector. The exact value depends on the
chosen voltage (to stay above that one below which the PG resets the CPU,
mine was around 3.2V) and the power supply internal pullup resistor value
with which the added resistor makes a voltage divisor.

Now for a question. The board is equipped with an Award 3.01 BIOS. It's
excellent, but it does a seek of both my 360Kb drives beyond the 40
tracks, which makes them bang noisily each time I boot.

Does anyone know how to avoid that? I'd be interested in the ROM listing
or the layout of the parameters table at the end of the ROM or a means to
avoid the problem or, failing that, the address of Award Systems to ask
them.

Thanks in advance. Andr).

------------------------------

Date: Thursday, 30 March 1989  21:12-MST
From: ralphc@tekcae.CAX.TEK.COM (Ralph Carpenter)
Subject: Upgrading PC-AT with 80386 motherboard.

I have just finished upgrading two 80286 based AT Clones to 80386- 20mhz
systems.  I'll be doing a third one in a week or so.  Only the
motherboards were changed, although we are now considering swapping out
our 1:3 interleave for faster 1:1 hard disk controllers.  Everything has
gone very well, it took a screwdriver and 30 minutes (I watched it done
once before) per system.  See notes below for a description.  No hassles,
really, the hardest part was deciding what and where to buy.

We settled on a Mylex MI386-20 board with 64k static cache ($1225), and
4mb SIMM memory ($870).  Steve Gibson, the InfoWorld columnist, gave Mylex
motherboards a great review a few months ago.  Not the cheapest board, but
a high quality American made unit for little more than the cheapest
boards, which aren't cache designs.  The board supplier's memory price was
so good (price and availability better than the memory chip manufacturer
would give me) that we upgraded to 8mb.

Tektronix is almost within shouting distance of a Mylex supplier,
(MicroSource Distributors) so we got an evaluation unit to test for
function and compatibility.  I tried Compaq DOS 3.2, MS-DOS 4.01, IBM OS/2
Extended Edition version 1.1, and OS/2 Sidekick without a glitch.  The
EMM386 driver that comes with DOS 4.01 turned the extended memory into
expanded just as I had hoped.  All my current DOS based applications,
including some finicky ones, seem to work very well.  While some of you
may have access to more extensive software test libraries, I don't.  But,
after reading some reviews of other clone boards, I was pleased to see
OS/2 EE work.  The BIOS is quite full featured and does nice things. I've
never seen a BIOS give me the option to test the hard disk for the optimum
interleave and then format it like this one does.

The reason I am posting this review is simply to pass along the results of
lots of reading, phone calls to manufacturers and suppliers, and how easy
it was to change motherboards.  I have no connection with MicroSource,
other than as a satisfied customer.  Mylex motherboards are available from
several sources that advertise in the computer trade magazines, but if you
are interested (and to save me from responding individually), my
supplier's phone is 503+645-1490.  They also have an 800 number you can
get from 800 information.

Swapping an AT mother board may not always be this easy, but here's what I
had to do: (Make note = written notes w/ picture)

1) Using the setup program for my computer, I found out what NUMBER my
hard drive type is.  This is a number between 1 and 47 or so that tells
the BIOS how many heads and cylinders the hard drive has.  The new
motherboard won't know, and NOTHING WORKS if I couldn't tell it what the
drive type is.

2) I Disconnected all external cabling from the back of the box: power,
keyboard, printer, etc.

3) After all the touching of the metal case, I was discharged of any
static charges already, but FORGETTING to discharge myself again after
shuffling in and out of the area before finishing the job wouldn't have
been wise.

4) I opened the case - 5 screws.

5) I took out the screws holding the video, etc. cards in place.  Removed
the cards from their slots in the motherboard.  I DID NOT remove any
ribbon cables from these cards unless I carefully made note of the
position and orientation of the cables.  I didn't have to undo ANY cables
to unplug the cards.

6) I made note of the position and orientation of the two power supply
cables.  Unplugged them from the motherboard.

7) I made note of the speaker and disk light connector wires, then
unplugged them from the motherboard and hard disk controller board.

8) I undid the two screws that held down the old motherboard.

9) The motherboard was now free, so I *gently* slid it out.

10)There were some white plastic spacers that plugged into holes in the
motherboard that had to be moved to the equivalent holes in the 386 board.

11)I put the new board in where the old one was.

12)I put everything back in place, except for the case.

13)I powered it up, used the built in setup program to tell the BIOS what
hard drive type was.

14) That's it. Everything ran for me.  I put the case on.  Norton SI = 23.

NOTE:  This is for information only.  Your mileage may vary, etc.

			Ralph Carpenter
			ralphc@tekcae.CAX.TEK.COM

2nd Disclaimer:  Nothing in this posting implies that TEKTRONIX endorses
		 my opinions.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 89 14:18:39 EDT
From: Andy Rutherford <R78SI@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Using ZCOMM with speech output

     Can anybody tell me how to set up ZCOMM so it wil work with a speech
synthesizer?

     The synthesizer's software works by trapping Int10h and sending the
text to the hardware.  Since ZCOMM uses a special screen driver, there is
no text to be trapped.

     Is there a command or set of commands to disable the special screen
driver?  I think that if i accomplished that my problems would be solved.

     Thanks in advance for any information anyone can provide.

                            Andy Rutherford
                           R78si%cunyvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 89 12:16:16 MDT
From: <pgaughan@NMSU.Edu>
Subject: Vax type editor

Does anyone know where to find an editor like EDT in VMS?

I hear there's one called SEDT for the PC, but don't know where its at...

thanks,

Patrick Gaughan
pgaughan@nmsu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 1989  16:09 MDT
From: "Frank J. Wancho" <WANCHO@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Ventura Publisher collection

In recent months a new collection of interest to users of Xerox Ventura
Publisher has been created from files obtained from the Ventura Publishes!
BBS (408-227-4818, 300/1200/2400).  The files in the directory
PD1:<MSDOS.VENTURA> contain collections of the BBS message files,
self-contained chapter files of the Q&A Xerox support database, recent
issues of the WYSIWYG and NPE newsletters, sample style sheets, and
various utilities.

Recently the BBS joined the FIDO network.  We are currently investigating
the possibility of gatewaying the VPECHO into an Internet mailing list
named INFO-VENTURA.  The VPECHO correspondents include several very
knowledgeable people, including several of the principal programmers from
Ventura Software.

If you are interested in subscribing to this list, send a message to
INFO-VENTURA@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

--Frank

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------