Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (04/28/89)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Fri, 28 Apr 89       Volume 89 : Issue  45

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <COMFLEACT@Taegu-EMH1.army.mil>

Today's Topics:
                      The 16550 UART vs the 8250
             Wanted: Public-key encryption algorithms/code
                         Memory-to-memory DMA
                            Floppy Status
             Help needed with IBM XT and RBBS-PC CPC17.1A
                     Re: COM3 Problem (V89 #39)
                     Modem <=> Modem Protocols
            Re: Reading Apple Disks with an IBM PC or Clone
                    Re: Ident Free-form Database
                Using a TSR to Execute another Program
                  Wanted: Upload of Instant Access
                         Message Base wanted
         Missing pd1:<msdos.arc-lbr>lzhsrc10.arc file (2 msgs)
                            Wanted: PC TAR
                      PD Zmodem program PCZ0115
                           VAX FTP Problems
             Wanted: Waterproof/resistant IBM AT Keyboard
                          Windows and Memory

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 89 19:04:33 CDT
From: James Ford <JFORD1@UA1VM.ua.edu>
Subject: 16550

I recently bought a 14.4K baud HST.  Most literature describes the need to
switch to the 16550 UART.

Question:  Right now, I'm using an 8250.  If I get the 16550, can I just
lift out the old and replace with the new?  Are the two pin-compatable?
What about the other IC chips located on the serial card?  Will they need
replacing?

    Is it really worth getting the 16550?  My system is a PS/2 Model 30,
20M hard drive, NEC V30 processor.

Please reply to me direct/by the list/flare in the sky/grapevine.

                         Thanks,
                          James

"I think, therefore I am.  I think."

------------------------------

Date:     Sat, 22 Apr 89 18:06 CDT
From:     <RAYMOND@AUDUCVAX>
Subject:  Wanted: Public-key encryption algorithms/code

  I am doing a study on Public-key encryption algorithms.  Source code
with short description would be best... But I would apreciate any help
all. I will be comparing the plus/minus of each algorithm.

 If anybody is interested, I will post my findings to the list when I am
done with my research.

 Thanks in advance for a prompt response.

                                      Sincerely,
                                      Raymond M. A. Erdey
BitNet: Raymond@AuDucVAX
Phone (Office) : (205) 844-4330
Phone (Home)   :       821-8558

------------------------------

Date:    SAT 22 APR 1989 14:39:00 EST
From:    "Richard J. Reiner (s9)" <S9RR999@MCGILLB>
Subject: Memory-to-memory DMA

For a graphics application we are developing, I need to move things back
and forth from buffers to video RAM very quickly.  Memory-to-memory DMA
seems to be the fastest method available (Intel documents the 8237A as
able to move 1 byte from a port to RAM in 5 clocks, or memory to memory in
8 clocks).  Before we get too deeply into this, I wanted to ask if anyone
has had any experience doing memory-to-memory DMA in PCs.  I know that the
memory-to-memory mode of the chip isn't used often, and that some
"compatibles" use 8237A-subset chips that don't support this mode--IBM's
own laptop PC Convertible, for instance!  Has anyone tried this?  What
problems can we expect?  Will the 8237A's "compressed timing," which saves
one clock on each transfer but will only work "where system character-
istics permit" (Intel spec sheet) work in a PC?

Any advice will be appreciated.  If there is sufficient interest, I'll
summarize to the list.

--RjR

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Apr 89 16:42:52 PDT
From: Alan Ariel <1052P%NAVPGS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Floppy Status

     Does anyone have any idea how to check the status of a floppy drive.
For example, PC Tools Backup will be able to see when the door is opened
(360K, XT) and then when it is closed when prompting for a disk.  I'd like
to be able to figure this out for another project I have in mind.  Any
ideas out there ?

Alan D. Ariel                               BITNET: 1052P@NAVPGS
LT        USN                               DDN:    1052P@CC.NPS.NAVY.MIL
SMC 1624                                    (or)    LEEKW@A.ISI.EDU
Naval Postgraduate School                   Tel:    (408) 646-2786
Monterey, CA 93943                          AV:     878-2786
Acknowledge-To: <1052P@NAVPGS>

------------------------------

Date: 23 Apr 89 20:30:00 GMT-10:00
From: <603masg@hickam-emh.arpa>
Subject: Help needed with IBM XT and RBBS-PC CPC17.1A

    We are trying to set up an IBM XT for use with RBBS-PC CPC17.1A.  The
problem is that when we run the program, it hangs the system, requiring a
reboot.  We copied the same RBBS-PC with the same configuration to an
Zenith Z-248 (AT class) with the same modem, and it worked fine, it also
worked on a home built AT clone.  When we tried a copy of version CPC14.1
on the XT, the same thing happened.

    What it does, is it clears the screen, and the hard disk is accessed
for a few seconds, after that it is locked up, the modem is never
initialized.

Here is some information about the XT:

    IBM XT: model 5160.

    Multi I/O card: Persyst Time Spectrum 384, it has: Com1 port, and 2
connectors on the card for other ports.  The card has 384k of RAM.  Also a
battery.

    This machine came to us second hand with no documentation, and no
software.  We are running MS-DOS 3.2 on it, since it was low level
formatted when we got it.  Also, the copy of RBBS-PC CPC17.1A that we are
using is one that I downloaded off of Simtel20.

    One weird thing I noticed, is that at 0040:0000 in system memory, the
address for com1 is 02f8H, instead of 03f8H. this seems like the obvious
cause of the problem, as it may well be, but I have used Kermit 3.21 and
it worked just fine.  There is a bank of DIP switches on the I/O card,
this could probably change that base address, but like I said, we have no
documentation on this thing.

    If anyone has any suggestions of any kind, they would really help.

					Thanks!
				James Linscheid
			603MASG@Hickam-EMH.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Apr 89 9:40:39 EDT
From: simon@ms.uky.edu
Subject: Re: COM3 Problem (V89 #39)

In Info-IBMPC Digest V89 #39, MITRE-KOREA@Seoul-EMH1.army.mil describes
some problems encountered after installing a third serial port in the XT
clone...

Try removing the mouse driver and cycle the computer's power (very cold
boot).  The mouse driver is probably stealing some of COM3's interrupts!

  Simon Gales@University of Ky
  {rutgers, uunet}!ukma!simon  -  simon@ms.uky.edu  -  simon@UKMA.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  21 Apr 89 22:48:23 +0200
From: "Michael M. Marx" <MARXU%HBUNOS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Modem <=> Modem Protocols

Hi,
In the last few months, some new great modem <=> modem protocols have been
released.  I came across:

Jmodem v1.20; SuperK v3.1; Lynx v1.3; Zmodem (DSZ0319); and Bimodem v1.06.

All great, all shine, all beep, all work fast, but here comes my question:
What is the fastest??

Michael Marx,
Bitnet: MARXU@HBUNOS
Fidonet: 2:402/111

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Apr 89 17:16 CDT
From: "Jerry Katz" <KATZJA%SLUVCA.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Re: Reading Apple Disks with an IBM PC or Clone

RE: MJBurge's question on reading Apple disks on an IBM

One way to make Apple disks usable on an IBM is to install the
Matchpoint-PC card.  The Matchpoint fits between the disk controller card
and the floppy disk,  and comes with a special version of Uniform,  which
is software for disk translation.  I've had my card for about 2 years
(DISCLAIMER:  I am only a user of the product.  I have no ties to or stake
in the company.), and have been pretty pleased.  The card can read DOS (I
think PRODOS is also covered,  but you better check) and CP/M Apple disks.
When I bought the card (from the manufacturer),  I think it was around
$195.  I would check with mail order places today -  look for one which
handles IBM and Apple products,  they wouild be most likely to have it.

Matchpoint's shortcoming from my perspective is that when it runs,  it
needs to load a 25kB file into memory through CONFIG.SYS.  After a few
months of using my Apple and IBM, I had moved most of my files over,  and
decided the RAM overhead was too much.  Today I have a special boot disk
with the matchpoint driver and command.com and uniform on the disk,  and
when I need to transfer files,  I just boot up with the matchpoint board
installed.

My machine is a Sperry IT,  which has the disk controller on the
motherboard.  The manufacturer's tech support people were very helpful in
getting my nonstandard set-up operable (I paid for the call to them).

Manufacturer:  MicroSolutions,  125S.  Fourth St.,  DeKalb IL (815)
756-3411.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Apr 89 21:25:45 edt
From: Paul Gomme <16012_3045@uwovax.uwo.ca>
Subject: Re: Ident Free-form Database

>From: Mitch%UMASS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
>
>Recently I've come across a wonderful program called Instant Access, from
>a company called Precept. I found v1.64 (v1.60 is in the Simtel archives
>and is basically the same) which was released in 8/86 or so, and searched
>around for a newer version. Zip.

>Does anyone have any info on this product or company? Any alternatives,
>either shareware or commercial? I think a commercial product called
>'Tornado Notes' does the same thing, but I've never used it.

Check out MEMORYMATE from BRODERBUND.  I can't say for certain, but
MEMORYMATE sure looks like an upgraded version of INSTANT.  There are a
number of improvements.  The most important of which is permitting wild
card searches (INSTANT would only match exact words, so searching for
"word" would miss "words").

Paul Gomme                             E-Mail:
Department of Economics
University of Western Ontario          Bitnet:  gomme@uwovax.bitnet
London, Ontario, Canada                         gomme@uwovax.uwo.ca
N6A 5B7                                ARPA:    gomme@uwo.ca
(519) 679-2111 ext. 6418

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Apr 89 14:26 EDT
From: DGOODMAN@wash-vax.bbn.com
Subject: Using a TSR to Execute another Program

I am looking for a TSR routine that would monitor activity on the machine
and execute a specified program or .bat file when it detected a quiescent
state for a specified amount of time.  Does anyone know where I can find
such a thing?  Thanks in advance.

Dave Goodman (703) 284-4600
Washington, DC Office
BBN Systems and Technologies Corporation

------------------------------

Date: 23 Apr 1989 19:27-PDT
From: SAC.55SRW-LGS@E.ISI.EDU
Subject: Wanted: Upload of Instant Access

    If Instant Access is shareware, and you have the means, could you
forward a copy to Keith Peterson for SIMTEL20?  The program sounds good.
I've always thought that something like Tornado would be a good
productivity tool.  It would be good to be able to preview it, as you can
with shareware in general.

Frank Starr SAC.55SRW-LGS@E.ISI.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Apr 89 13:50 EDT
From: V095JUHX@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu
Subject: Message Base wanted

    I have a micro that is used by several people. I wanted some kind of
bulletin board system and message base for the people who use the
computer. Sort of like a bbs without calling in. Has anyone seen anything
like this, or am I just looking for a simple bbs program to use? Please
mail any suggestions to V095JUHX. Thanx.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Apr 89 10:45:53 MDT
From: trichard@orion.cair.du.edu (Thomas Richardson)
Subject: Re: Missing pd1:<msdos.arc-lbr>lzhsrc10.arc

The source for LHarc's LZHuff compression algorithm appears to be among
the missing.

I am interested in getting the source code for the compression algorithm,
but I don't quite understand how to do that.  Where is SIMTEL20 and how to
I get to it?  I assume there is some kind of FTP to go through...

[The source can be found in file PD1:<MSDOS.arc-lbr>LZ-COMP2.ARC.

The host address for WSMR-Simtel20.army.mil is [26.2.0.74].  For FTP help,
ask your local system guru for information on your user FTP process and
BINARY file transfers.  Be sure and ask about TYPE LOCAL 8 bit byte
TRANSFERS or TYPE TENEX transfers.]

Thanks for any assistance.

Thomas Richardson
trichard@orion.cair.du.edu
TRICHARD@DUCAIR.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Apr 1989  11:55 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Re: Missing pd1:<msdos.arc-lbr>lzhsrc10.arc file

LZHSRC10.ARC mentioned in Info-IBMPC Digest V89 #40 has been deleted and
replaced by:

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.ARC-LBR>
LZ-COMP2.ARC			BINARY	 25244  2FE3H

a more complete archive which includes source code for other related
compression methods as well as that used in LHarc.

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of Simtel20's CP/M, MSDOS, and MISC archives
Internet: w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil [26.2.0.74]
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Apr 89 01:56 CST
From: SWANGER@ducvax.auburn.edu
Subject: Wanted: PC TAR

I am looking for a public domain version of TAR for the IBM PC.  If anyone
knows where I can obtain a copy please let me know.  Please respond
directly to me, as I don't always receive every digest.

Thanks for the help!

David Swanger
Academic Computing Services
Auburn University, AL  36849
205-844-4813

SWANGER@AUDUCVAX	  <-- Bitnet
SWANGER@DUCVAX.AUBURN.EDU <-- Internet
U0442			  <-- Applelink

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Apr 89 17:21 PDT
From: Vu Ngo <VU@GODZILLA.SCH.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: PD Zmodem program PCZ0115

Has anybody successfully used the PD Zmodem program from
<MSDOS.MODEM>PCZ0115.ARC??

I tried to use it (as an external protocol from Procomm+), but the program
seems to lock up my system after displaying "Initializing modem .....".

I set it up to download with:

	PCZ 3 2400 rz       (for COMM3 at 2400 bauds)

Will apreciate any help!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 89 23:53:05 GMT
From: SI-7AF <SI-7AF@seoul-emh1.army.mil>
Subject: VAX FTP Problems

Hello all,

Read with interest the comments about doing ftp's from a VAX machine to
Simtel20. I have access to a VAX machine at Hickam AFB and have done quite
a bit of transfer work with binary files. The folks at Hickam asked me for
a description of how I did it so they could "educate" the other users
there so I captured the sequence to a file and sent it to them. There does
seem to be one "odd" thing about it, the file greater than 32KBytes error
that was mentioned also nails me unless I "kick" the system with a
keyboard input that generates an error reply. For some reason the quote
"type l 8" doesn't work unless it is preceeded by nothing more than the
word binary whick generates the error (see my sequence below).

Haven't tried to experiment further but almost think that any change that
would generate an error would get the two systems to talk properly. There
is a note in the Simtel20 PD1:<MISC> directory about the VAX tenex not
working properly and I found this to be the case on the Hickam-EMH.

---- Captured output follows ----

$ ftp wsmr-simtel20.army.mil
hickam-emh.arpa Wollongong FTP User Process (Version 3.2)
 Connection Opened
 Using 8-bit bytes.
<WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL FTP Server Process 5Z(61)-7 at Wed 29-Mar-89 20:27-MST
Name (wsmr-simtel20.army.mil:osanddn): anonymous
<ANONYMOUS user ok, send real ident as password.
Password (wsmr-simtel20.army.mil:anonymous):
<User ANONYMOUS logged in at Wed 29-Mar-89 20:27-MST, job 24.
*binary                      ***** THIS IS THE INCORRECT COMMAND *****
<Type I - WARNING: for 8-bit binary files, use TYPE L 8 or TENEX - ok.
*quote "type l 8"
<Type L bytesize 8 ok.
*hash on
On
$ get pd1:<msdos>msdosidx.arc msdosidx.arc
<Port 17.85 at host 26.16.0.100 accepted.
<Retrieve of PD1:<MSDOS>MSDOSIDX.ARC.67 started.
66216 bytes in 656 seconds--800 bps
<Transfer completed. 66216 (8) bytes transferred.
*quit
exit
$ @B O S
@B I S
kermit
VMS Kermit-32 version 3.2.077
Default terminal for transfers is: _NTY4:
Kermit-32>set file type binary
Kermit-32>send msdosidx.arc;1
Kermit-32>exit
$

Hope this does it for you...

Hugh Preston
si-7af@Seoul-EMH1.Army.Mil
OSANDDN@Hickam-EMH.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Apr 89 19:47:15 EDT
From: halp@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Bruce P. Halpern)
Subject: Wanted: Waterproof/Resistant IBM AT Keyboard

I need a keyboard for a IBM AT 339 that will not be affected by water or
salt solutions running onto its surface. At the same time, it's important
that rapid typing on the keys be possible. I've found one advertisement,
for a model KB1/ENV keyboard sold by Industrial Computer Source for $249
plus shipping. It's an 84 key contact membrane "intelligent" Touch Panel
Keyboard, apparently meeting MIL-STD-202E. I'd appreciate advice from
those who are familiar with this keyboard or this company, or who can
suggest alternative environmentally (aqueous solution) protected
keyboards.

|Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca    |
|INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
|UUCP:{vax135,rochester,decvax}!cornell!batcomputer!halp                  |
|PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601      |

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Apr 89 10:58:52 EDT
From: phil@goldhill.com
Subject: windows and memory

>Subject: windows and memory
>
>In Info-IBMPC Digest V89 #36, a note said ...
> From Microsoft-NL I learned that adding EMS memory will not help you.
> The simple reason for this is that MSDOS restricts program code to the
> lower 1 Mb memory address space. Windows does not override this
> restriction.

It should be noted that there are protected mode dos-extenders that can be
run under windows. In particular, AI Architects of Cambridge has a dos
extender that we at Gold Hill use for our lisp and expert systems
products. The dos extender is linked with our "well behaved" windows
client program that take the processor into protected more and then starts
our lisp (it could start any program for that matter that has been
recompiled with AIA library patches for MASM and C 5.1). Our lisp lives
happily in protected mode and serves and then uses windows as it's graphic
front end.

Phil Stanhope
Gold Hill Computers, Inc.
26 Landsdowne St.